Originally published June 18, 2012 at 02:25p.m., updated June 19, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

KU announces addition of Milton Doyle to basketball team

Chicago Marshall High guard enrolled in summer school

Kansas newcomer Milton Doyle works out with the Jayhawks for the first time on Monday, June 18, 2012, at  Horejsi Center during Bill Self's basketball camp.

Kansas newcomer Milton Doyle works out with the Jayhawks for the first time on Monday, June 18, 2012, at Horejsi Center during Bill Self's basketball camp.

Lanky Milton Doyle, the latest addition to Kansas University’s basketball team, exhibited a soft shooting touch from beyond the three-point arc during a high-energy drill Monday at Bill Self’s basketball camp in Horejsi Center.

“He’s got length and reminds me so much of Tyshawn (Taylor), including recruiting in that he committed to FIU (Florida International), and they had a coaching change, and we were fortunate enough to recruit him after that,” KU coach Self said, officially announcing the 6-foot-4, 175-pound Chicagoan’s signing of a grant-in-aid agreement.

Taylor, who committed to Marquette before a coaching change then switched to KU where he was a four-year starter, had a similar 6-3, 185 pound frame.

“He’s got a lot of upside,” Self said of Doyle, who averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 5.0 steals per game his senior season at Chicago’s Marshall High. “He’s a combo guard that can certainly play on the ball. He’s also big enough and skilled enough to play off the ball and a very good athlete. I think he’ll give us great depth in our backcourt.”

Doyle becomes the fifth Jayhawk from Chicago signed by Self at KU. Those include 2010 All-American Sherron Collins, Julian Wright, Mario Little and current freshman Jamari Traylor.

“I’m so appreciative of his family trusting us throughout the recruiting process because it was so quick after the situation at Florida International,” Self said. Doyle decommitted after coach Isiah Thomas’ firing at FIU in April.

“I have known coach (Henry) Cotton (at Marshall) for a long, long time, and he sings Milton’s praises on his talent. Milton would have been a very highly recruited kid had he played AAU last summer, but he didn’t because he was injured (wrist), and a lot of people didn’t have the opportunity to see him.”

Another Chicago prospect: KU is one of 14 schools in the hunt for Chicagoan Jabari Parker, the No. 1-rated player in the recruiting class of 2013.

Parker, 6-7, 215 from Simeon High, told zagsblog.com he has a list of KU, Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio State, Illinois, DePaul, Louisville, Northwestern, Missouri, BYU, UConn and Washington. Some believe Duke, Michigan State and Kentucky are the heavy favorites.

Parker said he will cut the list to “about eight” sometime this summer. He plans to make campus visits in the fall and sign with a school in November.

“I’m on a setback not making as much progress as I should be (cutting his list), but I’m looking to making my choice in November. I want to do it for me because I want to get it over with before the season starts,” he told SNY.tv and zagsblog.

Parker, 17, is a devout Mormon who has not yet decided whether he will take a two-year mission when he turns 19.

Young leaves Puerto Rico camp: KU senior forward Kevin Young will not be playing for Puerto Rico’s national team in the Olympics.

Young, who has been at tryouts in Puerto Rico the past several weeks, was one of 12 players invited to compete in a tourney in Puerto Rico this week. However, he was told he was not yet guaranteed a spot on the national team because several pro players are expected to report to tryout camp soon.

“It was a fun experience, and I gained a lot from it, but I’d rather focus on summer school and Kansas basketball,” Young said Monday. He plans to return to Lawrence this week.

Bonnie honored: KU women’s basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson is a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Hall of Fame class of 2012. Henrickson competed in the conference from 1981-85 as a forward at St. Cloud (Minn.) State. Henrickson, who appeared in a program-record 122 games, is sixth-leading scorer in school history (1,731).

Comments

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

If HEM says he won't be surprised to see the kid starting this year, then I'm siding with HEM. He rarely dodges the essence of a Jayhawk hoops situation.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Hoping to get the last post on the Doyle page.

I, HEM, do solemnly swear: 1. Not to criticize a coach Self signing. 2. Not to be a negative Nancy. 3. Not to worry about rivals rankings. 4. Not to post while I'm "drunk." 5. Not to debate a player's brother. 6. Not to swim upsteam. 7. Not to rain on anyone's parade. 8. Not to consider any signing without my crimson and blue colored glasses. 9. Not to diminish the value of youtube video when evaluating a player. 10. Not to mock the speculative causes of a broken wrist. 11. Not to sneer at a comparison to a four year starter. 12. Not to prefer players with stars. 13. Not to be contrarian. 14. Not type more words in a day than jaybate. 15. Not to make lists like Oak. 16. Not to get cross-wise with Ralster .. I like him. 17. Not to piss off any poster with "hawk" in his name. 18. Not to doubt a player that really "looks like a player." 19. Not to mock anyone that relies on "feelings" to argue their point. 20. Not to attempt to debate those that don't care about logic. 21. Not to dispel the power of positive thinking as all of our dreams can really come true if we just try. 22. Not to try to make a point with a fictional conversation. 23. Not to mention the OAF stuff because coach Self never would think of that possibility when signing a player. 24. Not to try to make distinctions between a general approach, and a specific player. 25. Not to doubt that the "tough Chicago city league" and "first team all city" should be credentials enough to get a KU scholarship. 26. Not to forget that coach Self knows what he's doing when he brings a player in. 27. Not to use Merv Lindsay as an example. 28. Not to doubt the credibility of a high school coach's high praise. 29. Not to question why KU is the only smart elite program when it comes to an unranked player. 30. Not to use coach Self's quotes about prior recruits as a comparison.

And, finally, not to act surprised when Milton Doyle is starting this season, because everyone seems to have seen it coming except me.

Dan Cook 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the big question will become this -- Will Doyle or Adams be good enough defensively and able enough ball handlers as freshmen to keep Tharpe on the bench? If the answer is yes, then either/both are great pickups for KU.

RockChalk26 1 year, 10 months ago

I like the addition of Doyle. If he can play D there is no doubt in my mind that he will get PT next year. Oh and it wouldn't hurt if he puts on 20 pounds this summer :)

bennybob 1 year, 10 months ago

Anybody want to play "guess the transfer date"?

$5 gets you in, you pick a date, who ever has the date closest to the day the "Doyle transers" article gets posted wins!

master16 1 year, 10 months ago

I will support any player that is recruited by HCBS and commits to play for KU. But as I have no idea whether he is legitimate or a bench warmer (I've seen his videos on youtube) I will reserve my judgement on him until I have seen him play in a game.

FLJHK 1 year, 10 months ago

Greatly appreciate and respect the various posts of Ralster above. Also very much hope that Chi_town stays with us and keeps posting. I've much appreciated his candor and insights.

John Boyle 1 year, 10 months ago

Hope he is as good as the last Milton we had (Milton Newton, okay I'm not sure if his name was Milton or just Milt but he was pretty good).

Adam Gerval 1 year, 10 months ago

Forget Jabari Parker. Seriously, don't waste time on this kid. WE ALL KNOW HE'S NOT COMING TO KU. And frankly, I couldn't care less. When a kid says he holds academics in high regards the choice should be simple. He wants to go to the NBA, and he should. Let him go through Calipari. He's gonna listen to KU because it's KU, but he's going to choose Kentucky because it gets him to the NBA. He doesn't care. And again if it's academics he's considering, go to Duke, Depaul, or Northwestern, but it's not important. And if Duke is a favorite, don't lie about academics to make yourself sound good. Parker cares just as much about Duke's academics as Austin Rivers did...

ku_foaf 1 year, 10 months ago

Simeon HS was mentioned as school of Jabari Parker...stirred a memory.

Former player Rodney Hull went to Simeon HS.

brad53 1 year, 10 months ago

Any news on anrio adams eligibility?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I will reserve judgement but I must say, something about Milton convinces me he is a player.

I don't know if it's the look in his eyes or the general focus of his demeanor but I get this feeling that KU indeed just found a needle in the haystack and this kid is going to be great someday.

Very weird feeling because I rarely feel something this strong regarding Jayhawk prospects and I absolutely want them all to be All-Americans!!

We'll see.

KemDooKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Doyle has got skills that thrills - I can't wait tell he brings home another National Championship for KU this year - the only sad thing is he will only give us one year and then off to the NBA - another lottery pick for Bill. That man has Voodoo running through his veins.

Hieronymous2012 1 year, 10 months ago

After having spent 19 years in Illinois, I have pretty high expectations of someone who was first team Chicago PL and second team all state Illinois.

MBjayhawk24 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm interested to see how a lot of this incoming freshman and redshirted freshman work out this year. We all know that Ellis and mclemore should be immediate contributors to the team. Traylor was in the top 150 but at the low end but I have heard is just a slightly smaller version of T-rob. Peters is also on the low end of the top 150 on rivals but I've read that if he focused more on basketball this year could have been top 20, plus a 6'9" 235 lbs is big for an incoming guy and hopefully will give some good minutes. Adam is said to be better than his rank too. I believe he is somewhere in the 90's but could be higher if he had a clearly defined graduating year set earlier (he was planning on going to college next year for a time, not this year). Lucas is one that I haven't read too much about but it seems as if he will need to put some minutes in right away so improvement could come more quickly considering he may have to get on the court in games this year. Doyle is interesting too just because he is said to be good but couldn't play much because of injury. That all being said I don't take any list (rivals, espn) of the top recruits to be the gospel truth. But I am excited for the next few year with all the new guys coming in. And welcome to Kansas Milton Doyle. I hope you have a great career at ku

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

The rankings are more and more measurement of the chances for One and Done. I don't think Coach will ever not consider a OAD, but really, we haven't had that much luck with them. Our pathway is high quality kids who are willing to take their lumps while they work on their games, minds (that would be school), and bodies, who are willing to learn the game and its nuances, who are willing to really work as part of a TEAM. They have to also be willing to sell out and learn defensive technique, and that ain't fun in the school yard. Your Top 10 are thinking OAD, and this pushes them psychologically into a self (the opposite of Self) mode. Actually, the comparison to Tyshawn is an interesting one. Anyone remember Tyshawn's homies were talking draft after his freshman year? Tyshawn not only needed to develop his game, but Tyshawn had a lot of maturing to do. And no matter what happens basketball wise, it will pay off for him long term.

Our journey at KU isn't OAD, it's player development built over the top of POTENTIAL for greatness in the context of great coaching. There is as much of that on this upcoming team than I can remember. Honestly, this year, I doubt this team can make it to the championship game, but the player/team development will be fascinating to watch. In two years, watch out. I am betting Coach can't wait, and guess what, we sick bloggers can't wait either.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 10 months ago

LJW entitled to its OWN opinion, NOT it's OWN FACTS, there is NO kansas university !

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome Chi_Town and Milton. Can't wait to see Milton run through the tunnel and onto the court. I'm really excited to have a guard with Milton's size and wingspan. Once Hudy gets him in the weight room, he'll only get stronger and bigger and be more of a plus. I don't put much stock into rankings. Steve Nash and John Stockton weren't ranked that high. It's all about skills and toughness and I can sense that in Mr. Doyle

Welcome to the Jayhawk Family and screw the negative nancy's which there are plenty of. Too Many for my liking

PurePierce 1 year, 10 months ago

Does anyone know the time of the alumni game Wednesday at the camp that is being held now?

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Playing devil's advocate here: Stay outside of the 'ranking' box, and consider matchups. How would 19ppg, 8rbs, 5apg, 5steals/game, 6ft4in Milton do vs. Niko? vs. Tharpe? vs. any of the walkons? He is a developmental-track player, but then most Self players are. Maybe his "track" is shorter than others because he arrives with more measurables+intangibles? Wish I could see him play (& Anrio Adams, BMac, Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, etc).

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Good for Kevin Young. Even though the experience was short, I'm sure it helped him. Would have loved to see him in the Olympics though.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess the crux of my whole beef with the "check his low-ranking-&-huff-in-disgust" dismissal of some kid's opportunity is that it is so cursory, so superficially presumptive--and people make whole posts opining about when is Self going to get the "real" recruits in here... You could say that it is a judgement based on someone else's (rivals.com, etc) subjective attempt-at-objective-evaluation. Im not discounting rankings, as I think they are fairly reliable in the top 20-30, as most of those kids can play, and will play even better in year 2. Josh Selby was legit. Then he got hurt, sanctioned, then hurt again. If he stayed healthy, he perhaps could have showed 1st round talent. But he could have used year 2 to 'disprove' the naysayers. But he made his choice, I wish him well. We could have used a 100% Selby vs. Kentucky. He had that Sherron/Tyshawn swagger. You dont just produce that in a kid. My point in this Selby-talk is despite his #1 "ranking" he had qualities that were intangible and hard to judge based on ranking alone. That is my whole point, just using an other end-of-spectrum example. On the other hand, Self brings in a 70ish(I stand corrected) ranked Tyshawn, 10ppg as a senior...and starts him at 2guard along with frosh Marcus...So really you (or I) have no idea, irrespective of rankings, what Self will do. We do know it will be a battle between Doyle, Tharpe, Adams for backup mpg. That is all. Someone will 'get' Selfball and progress faster...

But I dont think rankings give "as much" prognostic value for the lower ranked recruits, especially for the [let's judge before we see what Self teaches them group]. Im about eager as can be to see what Doyle + Peters + Traylor + Lucas bring to the table, then add over 1-2 years...We might think it fair to guess that 1 or 2 will shine, and 1 or 2 may not, but then who knows? Look at EJ. 5star guy with a rough, almost unserviceable frosh year. Now he is looking at a big sr yr, and could be a draft pick if all goes well. Its in his hands, just as its in Doyle/Peters/Traylor/Lucas' hands. Should I leave BMac and White out of that list? Am I assuming they will do well just because they were ranked #29ish and #50?? (See my point: what exactly can I assume?)

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Here's another factor regarding the likes of Royce, Merv, Quintrell. They (naturally) were impatient to get in games to play. If they had stayed aboard, quite likely they would have seen considerable playing minutes by their junior years. However, their playing time looked bleak going into year two; so rather than lose a second year of eligibility sitting on the pine, they went shopping. Barring injury or mayhem to one of our returning guards, Milt might not see much action this season. But if he stays the course and continues to develop and tweak that "upside," he definitely has the size and h.s. senior credentials to be a major contributor going forward. If he is self motivated to show the tenacity of Ben McLemore or Conner Teahan, we quite possibly will view him as a major cog in the championship machinery at KU some day. I admire the lofty h.s. rankings, too, although I have become aware that Bill Self has developed a program which works miracles with kids who have slipped through the cracks of Top 50 projections, yet possess the bodies and upsides to fill slots on winning Jayhawk squads. For whatever combination of reasons, Self saw fit to offer Milt the one late remining scholarship. I hope that Milton Doyle will apply himself to the task of becoming a Jayhawk player whom all of us will enjoy supporting, evenually idolizing. At the very least he will add firepower to practice sessions this schoolyear. Like Moody, Lee, Reed, Morningstar and Teahan, Milton Doyle is in place to become essential to future Jayhawk Basketball. He quite possibly has more immediate upside than any of those fine players.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Tyshawn was ranked in the 70s... regardless, ralster, it's nice to hear a voice of reason.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr... I wonder if HEM formerly post as "jonas"? Seems possible--same ho-hum naysayer purity recruit attitude.

Who knows, Milton might transfer out in a year to Bradley or NIU, or maybe he'll work, develop, continue to grow as a person and team member, and contribute to another wild ride to a championship sometime in the next 4 years. I hope it all works out.

Rock chalk, kid. Glad to have you here. Play that relentless Self-style defense and you'll do well.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone mentioned Tyrone Appleton. Do we really know what his issue was? A year after he transferred, he wasnt even playing basketball. Health issues? Other entanglements? Family issues? I hope he is ok, but we do not know his real situation.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Jeez. Calling out a Jayhawk player before you even see him play? Man. And drunk enough to post such things when a family member is on here trying to defend his brother? Come on. At what point do we start equating such behavior with that of fans of way lesser schools?

Oh, yall can opine away about whatever, but the ones that get personal against players will always get me boiling. No, I dont know Milts game yet, but I also know Chalmers, RussRob, Tyshawn struggled alot their frosh seasons--> so where do you think my "realistic" expectations are for incoming frosh? I just want them to have a chance to develop-->then show us their game!

Anyone who makes all kind of skill assumptions based on "rankings" is speculating regardless. How about this spin-zone food for thought: Tyshawn was about a 10ppg scorer his senior year. You cannot counter that he was an assist-man, as his college a:t ratio was average. But Self saw something in Tyshawn that about half of you people did not. Now consider Milton avg'ing 19ppg as a senior. Not in some cupcake 4A league either, but in Chicago-area ball. How do you "rank" toughness?????? How do you break a hand in your junior season in high school??? By standing around the perimeter waiting for a pass? No, by being aggressive and/or airborne, etc... So my spin-zone speculation is that this Milton Doyle kid just might be tough...Oh, and he isnt ranked. Tyshawn was 30ish ranked. But Tyshawn 10ppg while Milt 19ppg...go figure yourselves silly (as usual). Then post the silly schitt here...that's how it works, isnt it?

I like Self working his Chicago-area connections, and the proof will be in how Milt performs. So wait and watch Self prove the naysayers wrong again.

My apologies for being positive while I await a new player to develop (see evidence of most Self players...), as Self's true opinion does matter to me. He brought in the kid.
He isnt god, but knows alot more about talent & how to develop it than most on this site, including myself (and he is better at this than most other coaches).

If anyone thinks Self brought a 6'4 Chicago-ball Tyshawn-clone who scored 19ppg to be a bench warmer, you are sadly mistaken. This kid will in a yr or two be a contributor (if he learns Selfball).

bandmanphilip 1 year, 10 months ago

How come no one reported on future Jayhawk, Conner Frankamp being selected for the USA National Develepment Team U17? That's big news. Congratulations Conner. Can't wait to see you in a KU uniform!

beakem_hawks 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk nation Milton. Chicagoans are always hard core ball players.

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 10 months ago

once HCBS makes the announcement, i'm all in on the recruits. he said he was lookng to upgrade the PG position...and it appears he has.

if he is good enough for our current head coach to pursue...that's good enough for me.

Welcome Milton! enjoy your time in Lawrence getting ready for the season....it should be fun.

Hopefully now, our roster is set. Go Jayhawks!

eastTXjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I welcome Milton and hope he is like Tyshawn....perhaps less the (oft discussed today) Twitter account ;-)

I hope HEM doesn't come to East Texas and critique my "old guys wednesday night hoops for fun" game. I am taking up a valuable space that many other old guys would love to have, but being the only person wearing Hawk gear amongst all the longhorn, baylor, and arkansas stuff, that might sway my grade just enough to be deemed worthy....my defense certainly wouldn't!

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 10 months ago

"[He] reminds me so much of Tyshawn (Taylor)."

That may not be a good thing, considering TT had some character issues for the first 3 years of his KU career.

But I'm probably reading too much into that statement.

Welcome to Kansas, Milt!

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Chi, take a close read from bradynsdad. It contains good advice. Even better, and one I would give any player and his family...don't read the blogs. They will make you crazy. Only the most extreme fans who desperately need a life, and who don't really play the game, spend time on them (yes...that would be me). They are akin to "drive by shootings," all power and blast, all in the absence of taking any of the responsibility. It is easy to be smart and witty, and negative, when you don't have to do it to someone's face or, better yet, when you don't have to put on a uni and get your butt out there. Remind your brother this isn't high school, the basketball stage is huge at KU, and the only opinions that matter are yours, your teammates, and the coaches. Actually, the latter one is the only one that REALLY matters. Tell your brother to relax, have fun, and enjoy the best basketball program in the country.

jc1306 1 year, 10 months ago

This kid can flat out play, period. Forget rankings, stars, and where he was committed before. We just got a late gift that's as good as you can ask for in June. Milton is a 4 year player that will play a signifcant role over the course of his career.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 10 months ago

The heat (not Miami) must be getting to a lot of folks here today! Welcome to KU Milton. Hope that you enjoy the University as many of us did! Rock Chalk!

1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome and good luck....

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 10 months ago

In other recruiting news, Chris Walker is looking for twitter followers. He's got over 5000 and I see a lot of UK icons among them. I'd hope we could out do them. His twitter account is @cwalkertime23 ( https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=cwalkertime23 ). There's also a movement to recruit him under @ChrisWalkerthon. Adding 1000 KU fans to his followers probably couldn't hurt his recruitment. He retweeted this this morning:

Chris Walker-thon ‏@ChrisWalkerthon Chris Walker rockin the Crimson and Blue! http://bit.ly/NGlsXy #RockChalk #ChrisWalkerthon #kubball #RCJH #lookingood

Anyway, if you're on twitter, make sure you're following @cwalkertime23 and other future hawks like @CFrankamp_23 ( https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=CFrankamp_23 ) and @b_greene14 ( https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=b_greene14 ) and of course, join the #chriswalkerthon and give that a boost.

billhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome! We're glad you are here and hope you excel in your career. Rock Chalk!

Wisconsin2Kansas 1 year, 10 months ago

It is very sad to read so many negative comments about Milton. I don't think anybody has seem him play, which may be the problem, but nobody can judge if he is good or bad yet. Besides, I'm sure Milton is a step up from having to give Connor Teahan significant minutes! I hope Milton proves a lot of people wrong.

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Interesting words from Coach Self:

"Great depth" = not expected to get minutes at this time.

"Lot of upside / would have been highly recruited" = you never know, might develop into someone who gets on the floor.

Keep your expectations down and your hopes up.

I searched for the word "defense" in the three articles that mention Doyle, and in chi_town24's comments. Didn't find it a single time. Not a good sign.

Gregor Southard 1 year, 10 months ago

Too early for naysaying (and over praising). Josh Selby or Russell Robinson anyone?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Sheeeeeeesh - what does Self know about basketball talent anyway?

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 10 months ago

jayhawks911 1 year, 10 months ago

Can hardly wait for late night and beyond. Welcome to the team Milton

chi_town24 1 year, 10 months ago

I knew coach self couldn't help but recognize my brothers skills very quickly. Where are the naysayers (H.E.M)!

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Have we reached double digits in terms of articles written about Doyle?

Welcome Milton! Keep your stapler close.