Monday, June 18, 2012

Kansas’ Christian Garrett back from hoops/ministry trip

Kansas University sophomore basketball player Christian Garrett is seeing the world during a memorable spring/summer of 2012.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound walk-on guard from Los Angeles recently spent two weeks in Poland and Germany with former KU guard Jordan Juenemann as a member of Athletes in Action’s college all-star team.

In August, he and the Jayhawks will be heading to Switzerland and Paris to play six exhibition games.

“I’m definitely excited to go back with my teammates and see another part of Europe that I haven’t seen. I think the food will be better where we’re going than Poland and Germany,” Garrett said with a smile.

“Some places were nice. Some not very good at all. That’s how it is,” he added of restaurants overseas. “It’s definitely fun to travel, but it makes you appreciate America more. The United States is so special. Traveling makes you appreciate it.”

The Athletes in Action squad, which was coached by Baylor assistant Tim Maloney, went 6-0 on its trip against pro teams in Germany and Poland’s national team.

“We won every game by 40 (points) at least,” Garrett said. “We did really well. It was really fun. I was backing up Brady Heslip of Baylor at point guard. He’s a really good player. I got a lot of assists, which was good. I did fine. I played my role.”

Playing time was divided almost equally, with the players taking turns in the starting lineup. The roster consisted of the two KU players, plus Heslip and Deuce Bello of Baylor, Memphis’ Drew Barham, Virginia’s Akii Mitchell, Mercer’s Daniel Coursey, Marquette’s Jamil Wilson, Tennessee’s Josh Richardson and Texas Arlington’s Jordan Reves and Karol Gruszecki.

“We focused on ministry, too, just how to play to glorify God and get close to the Lord,” Garrett said. “It was the best of both worlds, growing as a basketball player and how God can influence your sport was the main focus.”

Garrett said highlights included visiting Auschwitz in Poland and various sites in Berlin.

“My personal highlight was the bond I developed with all the players there,” Garrett said. “Taking that and seeing what I have here with my teammates is so awesome. Basketball was great, ministry stuff was great, but really, meeting new people and seeing how God works in their lives was really cool.”

Since he’s been back, he has liked what he’s seen from KU’s players on the 2012-13 team.

“I think we have depth, unlike last year,” Garrett said. “We are young again. Summer will help our new guys get used to stuff. The guys returning are really good — Travis (Releford, Garrett’s roommate), Elijah (Johnson) and Jeff (Withey) are our leaders. I think we’ll be good again. I’m excited to get to work.

“After last year, everybody is excited to get back to that place,” he added of the Final Four. “We just have to work hard.”

Doyle joins KU team: Milton Doyle, the newest member of KU’s recruiting class of 2012, arrived on KU’s campus Sunday afternoon. His Jayhawker Towers roommate is fellow freshman Tyler Self. Doyle, a 6-4 combo guard from Chicago’s Marshall High, averaged 19 points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals a game his senior season. The second-team Chicago Tribune all-stater is unranked by Rivals.com.

Frankamp a finalist: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp is one of 14 finalists for USA Basketball’s men’s Under 17 world championship team. The final 12-member team is expected to be announced Wednesday. The U.S. team will compete in the 2012 Spain U17 Invitational on June 22-25 in Canary Islands, then travel to Lithuania for the worlds. The squad is led by Jabari Parker, a senior forward from Chicago’s Simeon High. Frankamp is a 6-foot guard from Wichita North who has committed to KU.

Comments

ukanjhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Frankamp = extreme stud. Very excited to have him on campus next year.

And how bad is Poland's national basketball team? Getting beaten by 40 by Garrett's "All Star" team? Sheesh.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, but we 'd get our butts kicked in a polka tournament!! :)

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

I met Christian soon after he arrived in Lawrence and was very impressed with him. Really classy young man. He seems to represent both KU and Jesus very well.

Glad you had such a great experience with AIA, Christian!

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Frankamp could be to basketball what Reesing was to football.

hometownhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, he could really rescue KU basketball from the depths of despair...

What the heck are you talking about?

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

I think Bay meant that "big things sometimes come in small packages." Although small, Reesing was a dynamic talent. Frankamp is somewhat undersized, as well, but both Bay and I expect big things out of him.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

I was referring to his size. He looks and seems like he might be "the little engine that could" in college. Frankamp is listed at 6-0" and 160. Not small for HS, but perhaps a little small for college.

I asked earlier if anyone knew how tall or big his parents are, to try and guess his potential physical development. He's likely to grow, but how much? If he adds an inch or two and 20=30 lbs. he could have an NBA body by the time he's an upperclassman. If not, he could be one of those kids who is remembered as a great college player. As in, the kind of kid we all love to root for. Like Reesing.

That's what the heck I was talking about. Just making pleasant conversation. Sorry to annoy you, and thanks for reaming me.

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

Bay, don't let these kinds of negative comments get to you. If you comment on this site very often, you can expect to get reamed on occasion. Unfortunately, it goes with the territory.

Someone once said, "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

LOL. Thank you. I mistakenly thought it sprang from another source (as in "diarrhea of the mouth"). Noting the rash of send-first, think-second-itis going around. I'll pick up some skinthickener at the store.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

ESPN still lists him as 6-0", 155lbs. Rivals at 6-0" 160. Max Preps now has him at 6-1" 160, and Scout at 6-1" 165 lbs. Unfortunately I can't effortlessly hop on a plane to watch him dunk as he apparently Hudyizes himself before our eyes.

T-Robb's 6-10" listing caught a lot of flak. Apparently it works the other way as well. Sorry for my unwarranted concern. Trying to follow KU from afar is my hobby, not my full time job, but I'm glad to see that CF is shooting up. Never questioned his ability to ball.

I appreciate your clarification, but not the condescending attitude. Jeez. It seems the natives are getting restless . . .

ParisHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

chi_town24 said it first: Doyle to KU on Sunday.

Opinions are one thing, but he had the facts.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 2 months ago

He didn't explain what they did in practical terms of the "ministry." We are to daily worship the Lord and draw close but I'd like to hear how they went about that on this trip.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Jesus loves college basketball!!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Pretty sure Jesus would be a 3...solid cross-court passer...can get up with the best of them...a little passive on defense but plays with passion...definitely listens to the coach...the NCAA would find academic anomalies tho.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Come on..Jesus would be a solid 5. Great hands, so fast almost invisible, unstoppable heavenly hook, Super supportive Father!!

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

the great thing about an imaginary character is he can be whatever you want him to be

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Boy, are you in for a surprise!!

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, Keith, during halftime of the games, some of the AIA players will share with those in attendance what a positive difference Jesus Christ has made in their lives. Hopefully, such honest testimonies will encourage others to check it out for themselves.

This calls to mind the famous quote by D.T. Miles, "Evangelism is just one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread."

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you notice that though he is right-handed, he goes to his left with great skill and success....me like!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

PS What is OAF? One & Fled? One & Forgotten? One & Funked?

Kurt Eskilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I typically appreciate Jaybate's work, and One And Flush was funny at the time … but I'd like to respectfully suggest that anyone who devotes a year to diligent practice in the Crimson & Blue -- whether they stick long term or not -- deserves to be viewed as better than "flush worthy." (Troublemakers and malcontents excepted.)

lothario64118 2 years, 2 months ago

only problem is Bama would probably start the guy whereas he may not at KU.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 2 months ago

Barber is calling Duke is "dream school" at present, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPU75y... but so far K does not seem interested (no offer yet according to Rivals page for Barber http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Anthony-Barber-108157).

I'd love to see him in C&B, but expect KU and Bama to be out of the picture if Duke offers.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Some Headlines from the Gdansk Times Picayune"

~AIA Nearly Crucified in Krakow, Rises in Rzeszow

~Three Wise Men--Garrett, Juenneman, Heslip--Triple Threats in Trinities at Tarnow

~AIA Measured Polish and German Basket Heights, Found All to Be Regulation--5.48 Cubits

~Fundamentalist Hoopahs Building Cultural Bridges with German Reformation Sects, Eastern Orthodox Catholics, Roman Catholics, Orthodox and Unorthodox Jews, Islamists, plus Two Wild and Crazy Guys from New York on Vacation in Katowice.

~AIA Going Ecumenical, Recruiting Eastern Orthodox Point Guard from Bialystok, Hassidic Postman from Lublin, Lutheran Power Forward from Leipzig, and an Islamist Tatar Glue 3 from Poznan

~Basketball Reducing Religious Prejudices in EU the Way It Reduced Race Prejudice in USA; St. Jimmy Smiling in Everyone's Heaven

~AIA Coach Cites Great Religious Fundamentals of Euro Players, Challenges AIA Players to Saint-Up

~AIA Players Shout "JChrist Luv You" During Dunks, "Lord Fo'give Me," After Blow-Bys: Still Say "Shoot Me Sum 'ade, Suckuh," When Thirsty

~AIA Players Identify with Poland Always Being Caught Between Conquering Powers, Say: Live and Let Live to Christians, Jews, Islamists, Atheists, Occultists, States, Transnational Corporations, Secret Societies, Terror Organizations and Jenny Craig Fanatics.

~Religion Starts No More Wars than Advances in Munitions Technology Makes Feasible in the Minds of Deluded Leaders, Says Humble AIA Jock Washer jaybate in Warsaw's Brewskies'n'Kielbasas While U Wash Laundramat

~AIA Request to Put Crosses in Shooting Squares to Stop Shooting Slump Denied by European Religious Basketball Federation, Seen as Too Unfair of an Advantage for Fundies

~Polish Fans Still Not Comfortable with So Few Consonants in Most AIA Players Names, Cite Karol Gruszecki as Easiest To Pronounce

(Note: All fiction. No malice. All joking aside, Solidarnosc forever. It started in Gdansk.)

JayCeph 2 years, 2 months ago

Love this. He shoots, he scorns! ;D

Ray March 2 years, 2 months ago

Garrett should hang out with Simien. They would have lots to talk about.

Or "one thing" to talk about anyway. :)

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

2 religious articles in 24 hours, lets try to keep it to a minimum.

Jordan Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

You're aware of the option to not read anything on here - or the entire Internet - right?

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

I am aware of that, I was also under the impression that KUSports would stick to sports and exclude fantasy land. Had this article talked about his trip to Mecca and how muhammad influences the sport of basketball, every comment on here would be asking why they needed to include that.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

A lot of things can be debated, but one thing that seems increasingly indisputable: the longer MU is in the SEC the fewer trolls and lurkers this sight has to put up with.

It makes me wonder: were all those Memphis and UK yahoos really just Fizzou yahoos?