Monday, June 18, 2012

Kansas’ Christian Garrett back from hoops/ministry trip

Kansas University sophomore basketball player Christian Garrett is seeing the world during a memorable spring/summer of 2012.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound walk-on guard from Los Angeles recently spent two weeks in Poland and Germany with former KU guard Jordan Juenemann as a member of Athletes in Action’s college all-star team.

In August, he and the Jayhawks will be heading to Switzerland and Paris to play six exhibition games.

“I’m definitely excited to go back with my teammates and see another part of Europe that I haven’t seen. I think the food will be better where we’re going than Poland and Germany,” Garrett said with a smile.

“Some places were nice. Some not very good at all. That’s how it is,” he added of restaurants overseas. “It’s definitely fun to travel, but it makes you appreciate America more. The United States is so special. Traveling makes you appreciate it.”

The Athletes in Action squad, which was coached by Baylor assistant Tim Maloney, went 6-0 on its trip against pro teams in Germany and Poland’s national team.

“We won every game by 40 (points) at least,” Garrett said. “We did really well. It was really fun. I was backing up Brady Heslip of Baylor at point guard. He’s a really good player. I got a lot of assists, which was good. I did fine. I played my role.”

Playing time was divided almost equally, with the players taking turns in the starting lineup. The roster consisted of the two KU players, plus Heslip and Deuce Bello of Baylor, Memphis’ Drew Barham, Virginia’s Akii Mitchell, Mercer’s Daniel Coursey, Marquette’s Jamil Wilson, Tennessee’s Josh Richardson and Texas Arlington’s Jordan Reves and Karol Gruszecki.

“We focused on ministry, too, just how to play to glorify God and get close to the Lord,” Garrett said. “It was the best of both worlds, growing as a basketball player and how God can influence your sport was the main focus.”

Garrett said highlights included visiting Auschwitz in Poland and various sites in Berlin.

“My personal highlight was the bond I developed with all the players there,” Garrett said. “Taking that and seeing what I have here with my teammates is so awesome. Basketball was great, ministry stuff was great, but really, meeting new people and seeing how God works in their lives was really cool.”

Since he’s been back, he has liked what he’s seen from KU’s players on the 2012-13 team.

“I think we have depth, unlike last year,” Garrett said. “We are young again. Summer will help our new guys get used to stuff. The guys returning are really good — Travis (Releford, Garrett’s roommate), Elijah (Johnson) and Jeff (Withey) are our leaders. I think we’ll be good again. I’m excited to get to work.

“After last year, everybody is excited to get back to that place,” he added of the Final Four. “We just have to work hard.”

Doyle joins KU team: Milton Doyle, the newest member of KU’s recruiting class of 2012, arrived on KU’s campus Sunday afternoon. His Jayhawker Towers roommate is fellow freshman Tyler Self. Doyle, a 6-4 combo guard from Chicago’s Marshall High, averaged 19 points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals a game his senior season. The second-team Chicago Tribune all-stater is unranked by Rivals.com.

Frankamp a finalist: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp is one of 14 finalists for USA Basketball’s men’s Under 17 world championship team. The final 12-member team is expected to be announced Wednesday. The U.S. team will compete in the 2012 Spain U17 Invitational on June 22-25 in Canary Islands, then travel to Lithuania for the worlds. The squad is led by Jabari Parker, a senior forward from Chicago’s Simeon High. Frankamp is a 6-foot guard from Wichita North who has committed to KU.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

A lot of things can be debated, but one thing that seems increasingly indisputable: the longer MU is in the SEC the fewer trolls and lurkers this sight has to put up with.

It makes me wonder: were all those Memphis and UK yahoos really just Fizzou yahoos?

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 10 months ago

2 religious articles in 24 hours, lets try to keep it to a minimum.

Ray March 1 year, 10 months ago

Garrett should hang out with Simien. They would have lots to talk about.

Or "one thing" to talk about anyway. :)

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Some Headlines from the Gdansk Times Picayune"

~AIA Nearly Crucified in Krakow, Rises in Rzeszow

~Three Wise Men--Garrett, Juenneman, Heslip--Triple Threats in Trinities at Tarnow

~AIA Measured Polish and German Basket Heights, Found All to Be Regulation--5.48 Cubits

~Fundamentalist Hoopahs Building Cultural Bridges with German Reformation Sects, Eastern Orthodox Catholics, Roman Catholics, Orthodox and Unorthodox Jews, Islamists, plus Two Wild and Crazy Guys from New York on Vacation in Katowice.

~AIA Going Ecumenical, Recruiting Eastern Orthodox Point Guard from Bialystok, Hassidic Postman from Lublin, Lutheran Power Forward from Leipzig, and an Islamist Tatar Glue 3 from Poznan

~Basketball Reducing Religious Prejudices in EU the Way It Reduced Race Prejudice in USA; St. Jimmy Smiling in Everyone's Heaven

~AIA Coach Cites Great Religious Fundamentals of Euro Players, Challenges AIA Players to Saint-Up

~AIA Players Shout "JChrist Luv You" During Dunks, "Lord Fo'give Me," After Blow-Bys: Still Say "Shoot Me Sum 'ade, Suckuh," When Thirsty

~AIA Players Identify with Poland Always Being Caught Between Conquering Powers, Say: Live and Let Live to Christians, Jews, Islamists, Atheists, Occultists, States, Transnational Corporations, Secret Societies, Terror Organizations and Jenny Craig Fanatics.

~Religion Starts No More Wars than Advances in Munitions Technology Makes Feasible in the Minds of Deluded Leaders, Says Humble AIA Jock Washer jaybate in Warsaw's Brewskies'n'Kielbasas While U Wash Laundramat

~AIA Request to Put Crosses in Shooting Squares to Stop Shooting Slump Denied by European Religious Basketball Federation, Seen as Too Unfair of an Advantage for Fundies

~Polish Fans Still Not Comfortable with So Few Consonants in Most AIA Players Names, Cite Karol Gruszecki as Easiest To Pronounce

(Note: All fiction. No malice. All joking aside, Solidarnosc forever. It started in Gdansk.)

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 10 months ago

The more of Milton Doyle I've seen, the more I'm becoming convinced that he might be able to buck the OAF trend if he's willing to stick it out:

Compare to Merv Lindsay:

Milton's definitely a more versatile player. There are a million reasons he won't get significant PT as a frosh, but I could see him developing if he can stomach not seeing the floor much. As for the mystery of Chi, his name is Willie Green and evidently he works at Target.

Of course, Milton will have to beat out this Cat if he signs with us:

Barber's big two right now are us and Bama. Luckily, this time his family isn't from Bama, so they don't have a natural edge compared to how things went with Trevor Lacey.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 10 months ago

He didn't explain what they did in practical terms of the "ministry." We are to daily worship the Lord and draw close but I'd like to hear how they went about that on this trip.

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

chi_town24 said it first: Doyle to KU on Sunday.

Opinions are one thing, but he had the facts.

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

Frankamp could be to basketball what Reesing was to football.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm getting more and more excited about Frankamp. I had thought of him as an undersized SG but I'm starting to think he could be a legit D-1 PG. Time will tell...

I know people are excited about Anthony Barber as a possible future PG, but with Tharpe two years ahead of him and two combo guards (Adams, Doyle) coming in the year before and Frankamp looking so good, coupled with HCBS's propensity to favor experience, I'm thinking it's going to be tough to get a high-ranked PG in the class of '13. And maybe we don't need to.

Tharpe, Adams and Doyle are still question marks, but hopefully we'll be more confident in them nine months from now. And Frankamp may be the high-ranked PG we want, which would be awesome, because I'm sure he's a four-year player.

Well done, Garrett and Jeuneman. I'm glad you got some good playing time and had fun over in Europe.

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Frankamp = extreme stud. Very excited to have him on campus next year.

And how bad is Poland's national basketball team? Getting beaten by 40 by Garrett's "All Star" team? Sheesh.