Sunday, June 17, 2012

High school coach: Chicago guard Doyle will be ‘great fit’ at KU

Florida International University basketball coach Isiah Thomas traveled to his hometown of Chicago last fall to land one of the recruiting sleepers in the Class of 2012 — Marshall High combo guard Milton Doyle.

“Isiah loved him right away,” Marshall coach Henry Cotton said, referring to the basketball Hall of Fame point guard, who garnered an oral commitment from the 6-foot-4, 185-pound Doyle the first week of October.

FIU fans will never get to see what the NCAA champion out of Indiana University and two-time Detroit Pistons NBA title winner saw in Doyle, who decommitted after Thomas’ firing on April 6. Doyle has since signed a financial aid agreement with Kansas University and is expected to start summer school classes Monday.

“Fast,” Cotton said, asked to describe Doyle, who averaged 19 points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals a game his senior season.

“Dunks, crossing over, breaking (players) down, pulling up. I’ve seen him do it all,” Cotton added in a Saturday phone conversation with the Journal-World. “He can shoot the three, shoot deep, get to the basket, has a mid-range shot.

“He’s a very good distributor. He can do things ... take over when he needs to, make plays when he needs to.”

Cotton said Doyle’s only weakness is his slight frame, which can improve once he hits the college weight room.

“Once he puts some weight on, a couple pounds, that’ll be it,” Cotton said, noting Doyle played point guard and shooting guard at (24-8) Marshall, where he earned second-team all-state honors. “You put some weight on him and the sky’s the limit.”

Cotton said personality-wise, Doyle is “a quiet kid, a very humble kid. It’s a great fit. They (KU fans) are going to love him there. I’m really excited for him.”

Cotton said that Doyle heard from many schools since decommitting from FIU.

“From Marquette in the Big East to the Big 10 schools, ACC and Big 12,” Cotton said.

l

He must qualify: Doyle, like all incoming freshmen, will not be eligible for competition until cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Typically the Clearinghouse does not render final decisions regarding basketball players until late summer/early fall with football and other fall sports the priority at this time.

Doyle’s mom, Lisa Green, explained her son’s particular situation in an interview Saturday with the Chicago Tribune. She told the paper that Milton has the grades and test scores to be eligible, but he’s awaiting approval of two courses he took online because of complications following his transfer from Tilden High to Marshall High after his sophomore year.

“I thought we had taken care of this at the end of his junior year,” Green told the Tribune. “We went to Tilden to get all of this settled. But most of the staff at Tilden was either fired or transferred so the papers never went to Marshall.”

Happy Graduation Day, Anrio: Anrio Adams, a 6-3 guard from Seattle who along with Doyle is the only member of the recruiting class not yet on campus, graduated from Rainier Beach High on Saturday.

“Graduation’s today. This one’s for my Mother who’s been here through thick and thin and to my two most supportive uncles in the World — My Uncle Milton. My Uncle Marty. I couldn’t of done it without ya’ll we did it C/O 2012.. CollegeBound Student athlete KansasUniversity....” Adams wrote on Facebook. Adams has also signed a financial aid agreement as reported on his Facebook account.

More praise: Joe Henrickson of the Chicago Sun Times wrote this about Doyle: “Doyle may be reserved and quiet off the floor, but his play has spoke volumes the past eight months. He’s a quick leaper who showcases his superior athleticism when getting to the rim on drives and in transition. He’s shooting the basketball better than he ever has and is becoming more comfortable with the ball in his hands after finally playing extensively (missing junior season with a broken wrist).”

Amare camp: KU senior Jeff Withey will attend the Amare Stoudemire Skills Academy for big men Thursday through Saturday in Chicago.

“It’s an honor to go. It’s invitation (only),” Withey said. “I’m excited to go against some of the best players in college and high school. It’s a great opportunity.”

Comments

ukanjhox 7 years, 3 months ago

Dang it LJW... you've brainwashed Milton with this KansasUniversity talk.

FSUJHAWK 7 years, 3 months ago

But unlike the World of Journalism in Lawrence, Doyle will see the light.

RC!!!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 7 years, 3 months ago

I want to be excited but I cannot remember many non-rated "sleepers" out of high school making a big impact here. I hope Milton is one!

gchawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Mitigating circumstances kept him from being ranked. Obviously Coach Thomas and Coach Self have seen something in this young man that makes them want him on their team, and that's good enough for me.

ksyank 7 years, 3 months ago

I put more stock in the HCBS Rating System than I do in Rivals or ESPN's rating system.

ku_foaf 7 years, 3 months ago

yep - Self and Thomas think he is good!

mikehawk 7 years, 3 months ago

The descriptions bring to mind Steve Woodberry. Congratulations, Milton. Welcome to The Family. Only Anrio to go and let's start practice. Lots of new and established pieces and parts which will keep the KU faithful talking and blogging all year. Where Coach had limited options last year, which worked out pretty well, he has lots pieces to hopefully mold this group into a team. Could be exciting. Always fun to see the new faces and personalities, to see what they can do. Practices will be VERY competitive.

april28 7 years, 3 months ago

Very astute on the Woodberry comparison. He had the first "shot" before Mario's.

dylans 7 years, 3 months ago

This team should be very similar to the 07 team.

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 3 months ago

Milton missed an entire year due to a wrist injury and didn't play AAU ball. Factor that into the reason why he wasn't ranked. Russell Westbrook wasn't that highly recruited out of Leuzinger High School, Hawthorne, CA when he settled on UCLA., and he's done pretty well for himself.

You don't end up 2nd All-State and first team All-City without having some serious game. Everyone needs to chill out and trust our Coach who knows a hell of alot more than all the posters here

jhox 7 years, 3 months ago

And a heck of a lot more than the people who rate these high school players. The top 15 or 20 guys are usually pretty easy to rate. Those guys stick out like a sore thumb. Once you get below that, it becomes much tougher, and many of the guys feeding Rivals and other similar services couldn't spot a good basketball player if their life depended on it. I look at the ratings and hype given to some of the KC area kids, and those jokers could not be more wrong much of the time. Often, they focus on the wrong players. That's why they miss a guy like Alec Burks, and why someone like that is not even on the radar of many high major coaches. The unfortunate thing is coaches count on those services to tip them off to the talent. Otherwise there are just too many kids to go see. Consequently, a lot of very talented players fall through the cracks and end up at second and third tier schools.

I have no idea if Milton will be a great college player, or not, but it sure sounds like he had the physical tools to do it. With Hudy packing muscle and weight on him, and Self and company coaching him, I'd say his chances are pretty good.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't remember this many articles when we signed Ben McLemore.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Ok, we know his high school coach thinks he can do everything, and that he is the second coming. Can we just do an article on Coach Cotton? Or better yet, let's add him to the staff. The guy is a genius.

They'll certainly be more jhox-type posts pointing out that rivals isn't perfect, that kids slip through the cracks, etc. I can state the obvious. The weatherman isn't always right.

Nevermind that Doyle is no stars .. no stars. Not three. Not two. None. That doesn't compare to Westbrook, or Burks. Find me that needle in a haystack. And what's funny, is that if there is that needle, those that point it out will actually think that it proves something .. that this guy, Doyle, must therefore be a sleeper.

And ignoring, again, that Coach Self is only taking this kid because we have a scholarship available -- at the last minute. The same reason Doyle was hearing from other higher level schools (higher than FIU). A flier, a body, filling out the roster, providing insurance.

Please can someone else post that he played in Chicago, that he was second team all state, that he was first team all city, and that he therefore must be high D-1 level? If ever there was linkage, that is it.

dannyboy's post is the height of the irrationality, putting on the cheerleading uniform, hype. Oh, and Russell Westbrook did ok for himself so there. Perfect. You nailed it. Let's have Justin Wesley wear goggles .. he'll do great, remember Kareem? Try comparing him to all of the other unranked players, with no stars, that have succeeded at KU under Self. Ok, you got me there .. Connor Teahan.

And danny adds the trump card .. trust coach Self, he knows a "hell" of a lot more than the posters here.

What continues to be entertaining is posters like Danny are right. Trust coach Self. And this gets tiring to have to continue to point out. But coach Self did not want Doyle. He only took Doyle after his first, second, third, etc., choice did not pan out. Do you get that? Self would not have taken this kid had he not had a scholarship available that didn't get filled by his better choices .. his better choices .. not rivals. But folks continue to think that Self knows best by taking Merv Lindsay .. er, Doyle. Or that by some incredible insight he pinpointed Jamari Traylor ... in May. When everyone else was gone.

Painful.

longtimejhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Guess your mommy let you stay up too late last night, or maybe you are getting picked on by the other 5yr olds at the playground. Whatever the problem, I wish you would take your negative attitude and just go away.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Sometimes I wonder if some people even have a mind of their own, or if they simply enjoy nodding their heads in approval to save the effort of thinking.

Kurt Eskilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Easier. Much easier. Because when a contrarian is wrong, everybody's happy and no longer cares.

James Findley 7 years, 3 months ago

You sir know no better about this kid then anyone else.. Painful to read your ridiculous post.

april28 7 years, 3 months ago

Ummm...Self wouldn't have taken several players on our current roster and past rosters if other players would have picked KU. So....all Self needs to do is get the top player at each position every year and he can fix this problematic slide that we've had in basketball since he arrived.

I could be wrong, but I believe Self has gone into a season with open scholarships before - which indicates he won't simply give them out to fill out a roster. He currently has about a thousand incoming freshmen so I don't think he was simply looking to fill-out anything.

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Reading your post carefully, I gather you are criticizing other posters for being overly optimistic about the potential value of Milton Doyle to the team.

Fair enough.

Still, my first take was that you were saying "Milton Doyle, yuk!".

I wish you had added a disclaimer like "nothing against Doyle but let's not burden him with unwarranted expectations".

Doyle is an unknown quantity so more open to speculation. It will be interesting to read what Coach Self has to say about him.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

HEM,

Once, there was in the first century AD, an itinerant orator and philosopher, and some have said a possible second messiah, or at least there has survived a sketchy legend of such a man. His name has been handed down by his biographer, Philostratus, as Apollonius of Tyana. He was reputedly compared favorably with Jesus by 4th Century Christians perhaps more comfortable with notions of multiple saviors than many Christians today seem.

In addition to having some ESP about an assassination of his time, Apollonius is said, by the American poet, the itinerant Charles Olson who modeled his alter ego in the Maximus poems more than a bit off Apollonius, and who wrote a piece about Apollonius as well, would have us believe Apollonius spent a good bit of his life accurately pointing out the fallacies in thinking of many greater and many lesser persons than himself with something less than complete sympathy for human fallibility in this regard. :-)

In addition, Apollonius was something of a wonder worker, an attribute not as unusual in those days as in our times, though his students were said to defend him as a philosopher and not a magician.

What I think is most durably important about Apollonius, though, is his apparent position on religious sacrifices. He thought them unnecessary, because god, he thought, did not need humans worshiping him, since got was already perfect.

A wiki entry actually puts it better than I can.

"he [Apollonius] expresses his view that God, who is the most beautiful being, cannot be influenced by prayers or sacrifices and has no wish to be worshipped by humans, but can be reached by a spiritual procedure involving nous (intellect), because he himself is pure nous and nous is also the greatest faculty of humankind."

While I am rather more partial to the love faculty, and the compassion faculty, I do agree that intellect belongs high on any list ranking human virtues.

Alas, Apollonius was not very successful in changing many minds, but his reputation for working wonders did once reputedly chasten a leader that conquered Tyana into not sacking it, for fear Apollonius might work a wonder against him one day as reprisal.

Otherwise, Apollonius was not much rewarded for doing what he did during his time and has suffered his reputation being appropriated and used for all manner agendas unrelated to his own. He has, as nearly as I can tell been inappropriately cooped by certain opponents of Christ, and by a lot of fringe mystical groups the last few centuries for unsound reasons IMHO.

But he was rightly respected by some for his advocacy of the nous.

And perhaps that is the best one can hope for in such a world as overlaps both Apollonius' time and ours.

:-)

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

As his disciples in New Yawk say: "May the Nous be with yous!"

Brad Miller 7 years, 3 months ago

Nice tangent Jaybate, I enjoyed that. Both as a non-practicing agnostic and lapsed Unitarian, and as a humble student of history whose philosophy is always under review as I (hopefully) become better informed.

And I'm a big fan of the nous, tous. RCJH!

Brad Miller 7 years, 3 months ago

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Benz Junque 7 years, 3 months ago

So what's the problem here? Do you think we are counting on Doyle being a 30 minute per game guy? No. He will be a role player/practice player for at least a few years .We have TONS of talent and scoring on the roster for next year. It's nice that the kid has some game, but his best games will be on the practice court. KU needs to go up against a really fast PG/SG in practice more often. Those guys have given us problems.

chi_town24 7 years, 3 months ago

Something is really wrong wit u H.E.M. I tried biting my tongue but I no longer can. U are either a pathetic Guy who has no life, no type of woman to help relieve the stress u have. Or u are just a plain idiot, but I'm willing to bet its a little of both. U talked crazy about my brother since day 1 and I must ask have u done anything similar to Wat he is accomplishing. NO! so if u have nothing good to say... u know the rest. Who sits and think of false conversations between coaches and players?? That's pretty lame and u need to find another hobby bcuz this blog can do without a fake KU alumni. My brother will be a great player at KU and when he does save your applause!!

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

May I respectfully suggest just letting things go?

Milton Doyle is relatively unknown, so opinions about him are going to be all over the map, and so are opinions about those opinions.

Posters here spend a lot of time opinionating about others' posts, especially when there isn't much else going on.

Doesn't matter unless you let it.

My best wishes to Doyle and all the other players. It's real tough in many ways, but the team means a lot to many, many fans.

gchawk 7 years, 3 months ago

The longer you follow these threads the more you'll realize who to disregard. Don't take message boards too seriously. Your brother sounds awesome, glad to have him on our team. Please take negative remarks with a grain of salt, many of them aren't even Jayhawk supporters.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 3 months ago

I appreciate the fact that players, past players, and players' family read and even participate in these conversations.

Thanks for contributing.

As the others are telling you. There will be lots of people in this forum who for the duration of your brother's time at KU will say things about him that are mean or untrue. It will likely be difficult to read at times. In general the fans of KU basketball have high standards for the players, and most of us fans have high standards for our own conduct, but some fans have no standards for their own conduct on these boards.

You will benefit greatly from having thick skin, and not taking personally any of the negativity you read or percieve here.

I read a lot of HEM's posts and he is not malevolent. He has no ill will for your brother Milton. His disdain is toward fans who he percieves as uninformed, illogical, KU Homers. The more you read these comments the more you will appreciate different posters with different perspectives. Some you will probably never like or enjoy and that's ok.

Enjoy watching your brother in a Jayhawk uniform, and stay positive. It's not always going to be easy being the family of a high level college or professional athlete!

And don't just assume that no one posting to this site was once a high level athlete themselves. I was not, but some were!

duanep5ku 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi Chi great post and I'm glad to have you on the site. I get why you are so upset about the High-poster arrogant one on here too but forgive the foolish one. I guess he's to stupid or old to realize that it's a great day for the young man's family and friends, I mean your proud of the kid, you want to visit the site to hear from the fans and enjoy the moment. Then you have to hear from the foolish negative Major.

Chi I hope you and your family understand that all fan bases have their own village idiot's and just ignore ours.

Chi I hope you and your family enjoys Kansas It's a great family minus the few. I'm glad to have Milton at Kansas and I hope it works out.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

I was out for the day and read the responses.

First, regarding chitown (Doyle's brother) -- I have never ever been told that there is something "wrong wit u" .. or at least not in that manner. A first for everything. I resist the obvious temptations. But read plastichawk's and ParisHawks's posts. They are right there. Nothing personal against Milton. I simply do not think that KU should ever have to take unranked fliers. No need to. Milton, or the next guy. Further, we should not get excited about such a player coming to KU. We can pat him on the back, support him, and hope he does well. But bluntly, I don't think he should be here. That, my friend, comes from someone who has seen decades of KU basketball and has a reasonable understanding of what it takes to succeed here. Not the gospel. Just an opinion. And don't think for a moment if a top 100 combo guard was available right now, every poster here would prefer we take that option over your brother. Harsh, yes. But true. A show of hands .. who would rather have Milton Doyle or Anrio Adams on the roster and available next season? Look, if my brother was Milton and I had to choose between Milton and Adams, I'd take Adams for KU .. first, because I want our team to be the best it can be, and second, because I don't like the One And Flush concept -- and this is an obvious risk for that result, and third, I would tell my brother that the likelihood that you succeed at KU is wildly remote. Meaning never happened under Self in this situation. Go to Bradley. Go to FIU with the new coach. Go to Marquette. But he's not my brother.

Second, read twocoach44's post. Exactly. That's my point. Milton will in all likelihood be just a practice player. If he develops, perhaps .. maybe .. remotely .. if we don't recruit the right guys .. if Jupiter aligns with the third moon of Saturn in late October .. be a back of the rotation player as a junior. A premise of my posts on this topic is that Milton and guys like him should go to FIU, Bradley, or Colorado St. .. where they'll play. That's best for them. Best for KU. It's honest. But kids get caught up in "it's KU" .. where the odd are they will soon be on the chopping block.

Third, JB .. thanks, I think.

RJ King 7 years, 3 months ago

But it sounds like you're assuming playing time is every kid's #1 priority. While that could be true of most, there are at least a few for whom participating in a certain college program actually outweighs significant playing time. Case in point, Connor Teahan. And look at the end of the Kentucky or North Carolina bench.

It's not unreasonable to think that Milton loves KU, has always wanted to be a Jayhawk, and thinks that there is at least a CHANCE that hard work, focus, and a few breaks, might amount to whatever number of minutes (plus camaraderie, trips to Europe, Maui, girls, degree, a place to grow up, etc.) will make it all worthwhile FOR HIM.

The priorities - including anticipated court time - will be different for every kid who signs. As I've said before, to think that these kids do not understand the circumstances, risks, or consequences of their college choice is an insult to their intelligence.

jhox 7 years, 3 months ago

Just one question HighElite, how much time have you spent watching tape of Mr Doyle? I am guessing your rant comes without you even watching 5 minutes of his play. I'm not saying he will be great or that he won't. I've not seen enough of him to judge. I do know that a lot of great players were not ranked in the top 100.

My guess is that our staff has spent many hours watching tape of him. That's why I trust them to make these decisions. That, and the fact that the last time I checked, Coach Self had a pretty good track record of success. He's proven himself to be very good at getting the chemistry thing just right on his basketball teams. Have they missed out on guys, even those in their own back yard? Absolutely. But they have also got a bunch of these decisions right.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

You read it right. Nothing sly implied. And you are welcome. :-)

Jim Jackson 7 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure you're the same guy who stated that playing HS football doesn't make you tough (this was in regards to Zach Peters, who wasn't a bench warmer, he was an all state wr) .

I would think common sense would've prevailed before you said that but it didn't.

Regarding Doyle; I'm from Chicago and live here. If you're 1st team all city and 2nd team all state, you can flat out play.

Whether or not he can contribute as a frosh remains to be seen.

James Findley 7 years, 3 months ago

James Findley 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry this was not direct at you but that A$$ hat High elite major..

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 3 months ago

I'll just be glad when this is all done. This is the 2nd straight year that our roster has gone into the summer months in flux....and hopefully, the streak will end next summer.

a month ago, this kid wasn't coming...and now he's going to enroll and be in class on Monday. Adams has been committed but can't qualify for a very long time...and he's still in play to be on the team? I don't see how that can be.....Doyle or Adams....sounds like we need to pick one....and let's get on with life.

Robert Brock 7 years, 3 months ago

Adams will turn out to be an outstanding player...for the Hawks. Be patient.

Alohahawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Amen, brother drgnslayr. And I'm sure Coach Self would like to see that happen, as well. If for no other reason, vindication for offering both young men a scholarship. PS. Perhaps the real reason behind HighEliteMajors's post is to goad Doyle into proving the naysayers wrong. To exceed their lower expectations. I'm all for that.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 3 months ago

If any of the players pay attention to any of the posters on this board we have bigger issues.

texashawk10 7 years, 3 months ago

Based on the video I have seen of Milton Doyle, he would likely be ranked somewhere near 100 as a low 4/high 3 star player had he played his junior year and played AAU ball last summer. He's not someone who will be an impact player in his first couple of years at KU. He's not someone that will likely ever be a star at KU, but he could be a very good role player by his junoir and senior seasons. Depending on how recruiting rurns out this season, he could end up being the backup 2 guard in 2013.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 3 months ago

I will pay $1000 to the first guy that can link me an article about a high school coach speaking badly about one of his D-1 players.

it doesn't happen.

This article is about as credible as asking a mother about her son.

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

So what? Gary Bedore has to write this kind of article. Take it with a grain of salt, or a full shaker if you wish. There's always something to be gleaned from hearing the guy's HS coach talk about his game; anyway, it's that or nothing right now.

bradynsdad 7 years, 3 months ago

Seriously we have some complaining idiotic girls on here. HEM get over yourself. Always remember there is a reason you post on here and don't recruit for a college. Every year it's the same complaints and every year Self delivers a winning team. How can you view the glass half full or half empty when your too busy complaining about the type of glass it's in? Criticism is ok but some of you really believe that you know best. If doyle, manning, Roberts or self never play a minute but work their a$$ off everyday to make our team better and love KU, then I will take them any day of the week. Seriously stop and look at what self has accomplished since he has been here. Yeah maybe he probably should have at least one more title but no one in division 1 is accomplishing what he is. So enjoy the ride and embrace any kid that loves KU and wants to be here.

Alohahawk 7 years, 3 months ago

<p>Zagsblog.com has announced that Conner Frankamp made the final cut for the USA Mens Basketball U17 World Championship Team. Another national honor for Self's future recruits!!

Congratulations, Conner. This can only raise your status in the pecking order of the 2013 recruit rankings.

Alohahawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry. Correction. Conner is one of 14 left, with 2 extra players still to be whittled down to a total of 12. However, being one of the top 14 still shows that Frankamp can hold his own against the best in his age group.

april28 7 years, 3 months ago

Huge, huge news! Congratulations to Conner!!!!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a wonderful school, that Tilden High! If I was really ambitious, I would research this to see how such turmoil can happen ar a high school to cause such upheaval in the staff. This sounds like it could be a problem like others where multiple schools were involved.

Twan2000 7 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. Very sketchy comments. Let's go ahead and assume he will not be cleared this year. Good luck in 2013 Milton!!!

chi_town24 7 years, 3 months ago

Anybody who comes on here and just lie about being someone's brother has too much time on their side. I'm not a Doyle my last name is green and if u read any article u will see our mother's name is Lisa GREEN. I understand why u might be skeptical but yeah that's my little brother.

chi_town24 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah this is my last post but I will still be reading Wat the naysayers are saying. He made it there today so I will let his game speak for him from now on.

april28 7 years, 3 months ago

Ukan...Please stop. I'm begging you.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 3 months ago

No sense in being bitter over players that didn't commit to KU. Every reason to be pleased about any player that dreams about going to KU and wants to work his tail off for Coach Self. Bottom line is congratulations are in order for Mr. Doyle becoming a Kansas Jayhawk basketball player. I'm sure Self would've saved that schollie for JW if he didn't think Doyle could contribute to this team.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 3 months ago

Gosh..I take off one day and miss all the excitement!!

Happy belated Fathers Day to all you Dads..I hope your day was filled baseball, BBQ, no chores, a little romance, golf [play or watch] and the beverage of your choice.

duanep5ku 7 years, 3 months ago

Glad to have you here at Kansas Milton and welcome to the family.

Chi keep posting and ignore all the Higher- arrogant posts on here it seems some are to arrogant or old to remember one thing. The kid is young and the family is proud of him, so they wan't to come on here to celebrate this day and they also might want to visit this site to hear what the fans are saying and then they read the arrogant High one's negative BS.

Chi keep this in mind every fan base has it's own fool's that seem to have nothing better to do then to rain down the negative's in their post and bad mouth a young man. In what should be a great day for him and his family and friends.

High-It must be a said life you have when you want to come on here and do nothing but to bad mouth a future player, who want's to come here.

Milton welcome To Kansas, young man and I hope everything works out for you here at Kansas.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

The minute I read Isiah Thomas' name connected with Milton Doyle, I reckoned this history of Milton's situation would be, um, complicated and perhaps never to be fully understandable.

Isiah has had more that a few reputed intrigues since he got into management and coaching. There were even rumors that he was running the Knicks from FIU. His ownership and actions in a minor league stimulated occasional puzzlement, if I recall correctly. His player procurements for the Knicks were confounding to some.

Add in that Milton comes from Aldermanville, USA, aka Chi, where Al Capone was once mayor, Elliot Ness never got a lot of local help getting Capone, Richard Daley's machine outlasted almost all other boss-driven machines in America (probably still operates in one form or another), JFK once beat Nixon cause somebody said he should, the Chicago Merc reputedly laundered more black money than clean money once upon a time, and where a green river runs through town backwards, and one has at least a little reason to suspect that Milton's circuitous matriculation to KU will remain shrouded in mists.

Regardless, it has always seemed an odd argument to make that Miltion was overlooked, because he signed early with Isiah. Isiah was born in Chicago. He played for St. Joseph high in Westchester, IL. He is a bonafide, homegrown basketball legend in Chicago. To sign with Isiah Thomas in Chicago would be tantamount to a kid from Charlotte signing with Michael Jordan were he a college coach. Signing with Isiah Thomas should have been for Milton Doyle something equivalent to an author getting his book promoted by Oprah in her hay day. Milton Doyle should have been recognized by everyone as a great prospect once he signed with Isiah Thomas, regardless of where Isiah were coaching.

But for some reason, he wasn't.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

And how exactly does a guy earn 1st team All City in Chi and become "overlooked," after signing with with city legend Isiah, who has a high national profile, too, even if Milton had signed, while still in the birth canal 18 years ago?

I don't know.

But I have a hunch that if someone asked Jamari Traylor, he would have known about Milton Doyle. :-)

Next, Milton's high school coach is saying something about Milton so similar to what Anrio Adam's high school coach is saying about Anrio Adams, that one wonders if there were a high school coaching camp last year that issued canned talking points to be used by coaches when their players were late to qualify academically.

Why we even have a poster claiming to be Milton's brother defending Milton's talent and quasi-punking other board rats for speculating whether, or not, Milton is just being added as a practice player, or if he were a real sleeper.

Bottom line, KU apparently has a 6-4 point guard prospect, something pretty rare in college basketball, who was first team all city in a recruiting hot bed, signed and on board now.

Time to let the young man lace them up and see what he can do in crimson and blue.

The beauty of sport is that performance on the floor will clear up how good Milton Doyle is, even if it won't clear up exactly how he came to be overlooked.

Rock Chalk!

Annette Lee 7 years, 3 months ago

When I see a great player on Richmond or Dayton or Cleveland state I think why didn't we get that kid? Well there is some risk but with the success of Reed and Morningstar,who every one questioned, I think this is a good gamble.