Monday, June 11, 2012

Making the grade: Perry Ellis averaged 25.8 PPG, 4.0 GPA

Kansas newcomer Perry Ellis, center, listens while in a team huddle between Justin Wesley, left, and fellow freshman Zach Peters as they prepare for a workout at Bill Self's basketball camp on Monday, June 11, 2012 at the Horejsi Center.

photo

Freshman Perry Ellis puts in a layup as he works out for the campers during Bill Self's basketball camp on Monday, June 11, 2012, at the Horejsi Center.

Perry Ellis talks about transition to KU and also areas in his game he hopes to improve

Kansas freshman Perry Ellis talks about his transition to KU and also areas in his game he hopes to improve. Ellis talked to reporters on June 11, 2012.

McDonald’s All-American Perry Ellis, the all-time leading scorer in Wichita City League history, capped his Wichita Heights basketball career by winning his fourth straight state championship and fourth-straight Gatorade Player of the Year Award.

He had just as impressive an exit on the academic side, serving as one of four valedictorians at Heights’ May 22 graduation ceremony.

“It was great. A lot of people respect me for that,” Ellis, a 4.0 student, said Monday before taking part in drills with his new Kansas University basketball teammates at Bill Self’s hoops camp in Horejsi Center.

“It was real tough. It didn’t come easy to me,” he added of acing all his classes. “I really had to work in the classroom to do that. That’s what I tell a lot of people. Anybody can do it. You just really have to work.”

The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Ellis, who plans to major in business at KU, is taking two summer-school courses.

He hopes to keep his streak of A’s alive.

“I’m going to try,” he said of claiming a college 4.0. “It’s going to be tough again, another challenge for me, dealing with school and workouts and weights and all that. I’m going to definitely try.”

It seems somewhat surreal that Ellis is finally settled on KU’s campus. He has been highly publicized since eighth grade, with folks following his college recruitment on an almost-daily basis until his oral commitment to KU last Sept. 21.

“I enjoyed it. I didn’t feel too much pressure,” Ellis said of time spent in high school. “I tried to not put a lot of pressure on myself. My parents and coaches helped with that, also. I feel it’s time to move on, time to start something new ... this is my next step in life.”

He has already noticed some differences between high school and college.

“You are more on your own now. I don’t have my mom, my dad to help guide me. It’s all on myself. I’ve got to take care of myself now,” said Ellis, who is rooming with fellow freshman Evan Manning. “We are playing a lot of pick-up, too, which is helping give me a feel for the players, and going to class is helping me, also.

“It’s physical,” Ellis continued of pick-up basketball and two hours of practice per week with the coaches in accordance with new NCAA rules. “It’s going to make me a lot better, playing with these guys and competing with them.”

His goals during practices?

“Just playing hard, getting more physical. That’s the main thing I want to focus on,” said Ellis, who averaged 25.8 points and 9.4 boards per game last year for Heights.

Ellis, who hit 67 percent of his shots and 43.4 percent of his threes last season, figures to play both inside and out for KU.

“I’ll try to do everything I can, try to do both,” Ellis said. “I’m not really sure yet. I might play on the wing a little bit if I get somebody smaller on me. Then I might go in the post. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Ellis likes what he has seen of KU’s freshman class.

“First of all, they are all great kids,” he said. “I feel they will all be great teammates.”

KU senior Jeff Withey says he has been impressed with Ellis thus far.

“He’s definitely a raw talent, one of the best high school players (in country),” Withey said of Rivals.com’s No. 24-rated player nationally. “He needs to get more aggressive, I’d say, in pick-up and stuff. He’ll get more involved in the offense. He’ll get more outgoing as time goes on. I’d say Kansas fans have a lot to be excited about.”

They were elated in March when Ellis became the sixth Wichita native to play in the McDonald’s All-America game.

“It was a great experience, learning about the years before me and all the players who went through it (the game) and learning their stories,” he said of the likes of LeBron James and Michael Jordan. “I thought it was a pretty awesome experience.

“A lot of people when I was going up there (Chicago for game) said, ‘Represent us. Represent us.’ I did. I wanted to represent my hometown, Wichita, Kan. There’s only a couple before me who got to do that. It was a real honor.”

Finals begin tonight: KU coach Bill Self’s hometown Oklahoma City Thunder will meet the Miami Heat in Game One of the NBA Finals tonight in OKC.

“Knowing another Jayhawk will get a championship ring is pretty cool,” Self said, well aware Nick Collison and Cole Aldrich play for the Thunder and Mario Chalmers the Heat.

“It’s been really cool because the Thunder team has totally unified the state. When you’ve got OU, OSU, Tulsa and Oral Roberts, you don’t have everybody ever cheering for the same team. This is one case in which you do. It’s really brought the state closer together. It’s done great things for the city. You’ve got a guy like (Kevin) Durant that you can sell as face of the franchise, and it’s great to see Nick play so well. Cole’s not had a chance to play much. Mario has played very well.

“I’ve not missed many games. We’ve been sitting and watching entire games the last three weeks. Even on vacation, we planned our vacation around the Thunder and the Heat. It’s really cool, fun to watch.”

Trials: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp of Wichita North is one of 31 players who will attend tryouts for the FIBA Under 17 world championship team, which start Friday in Colorado Springs. In all, 31 players will attend tryouts. It is anticipated the final 12-member U-17 team will be announced after the morning session on June 17, and those 12 athletes will remain in Colorado Springs to train through June 20. The world championships start June 29 in Lithuania.

Comments

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

Great kid. I hope the aggressiveness will come eventually. That was his only knock in Wichita. Awesome to see him at KU, it would have been a crime if UK took him from the state of Kansas.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 4 months ago

Totally Agree. With Perry and Josh, I see the twins from different mothers, Perry is Marcus and Josh is Kieff. Add BMac, who I see as a modern day Keith Langford with a better outside shot, and seniors at the 1-3-5, and the sky is the limit for this team if they gel, especially if Perry and Josh have chemistry like the twins did from playing together for so long. I would have made them roomates!

What has me really optimistic is that this group is deep with talent and should be very coachable, with 3 Coaches kids on the team, the three senior starters, a legacy (Wesley), Young used to coach at juco level, BMac and Traylor have already had a year in the program and your two key recruits this year, Perry and Josh, are both studs on the court and in the classroom, which means they should be very coachable!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 4 months ago

I keep waiting for someone to give an answer, so I'll second the question. Who is Josh?

Freedman Moor 2 years, 4 months ago

If you mean "Zach" (Peters) as opposed to "Josh", I agree and disagree. Ellis and Peters are leaps and bounds ahead of the Morris brothers were as freshman.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Quit Joshing with us before this joke Peters out or Ellis we'll have to ransZach your house!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep..those '83 grads sure know their Hawk Ball!! :}

chicagojayhawk87 2 years, 4 months ago

Gotta say I'm proud to be from Wichita and see KU get pretty much one of the best ballers in the city's history. I did have to laugh at the WSU fans who were salty he didn't stay home. The Shockers are doing a great job, but it's kinda a no-brainer.

Also here's a link that really proves Mizzou belongs in the SEC http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8037037/levi-coolley-facing-drug-charges-flew-missouri-tigers The story came out early today so I'll assume most of you have seen this, but I had to throw it on the boards, even if it is unrelated to this story.

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Like the movie, "The French Connection", make that "Columbia to Columbia" connection.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't know much about the drug industry, but 11 pounds of cocaine sounds like a lot!

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

Larry Brown said the same thing about Danny Manning when he was a freshman. That worked out okay.....

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I guessed about a week ago that Ellis would major in business. Now, let me see. Maybe I can predict an NCAA BB Championship for KU in 2013. And I'm guessing an Oklahoma Thunder NBA championship. :>)

waywardJay 2 years, 4 months ago

Excellent Photo, Krug.

Also, Is it me or does Zach Peters just look angry.

Catch Phrase -

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Withey said about Ellis -- “He needs to get more aggressive, I’d say, in pick-up and stuff."

As Strikewso mentionend, the lack of aggressiveness was an observation made during his high school/AAU days.

Don't be surprised if this is a continuing theme. We've seen it before. Think about Releford .. we're still waiting for him to be aggressive. We agonized over Rush being passive. Henry just floated on the wing and rarely initiated anything.

We all have this guy penciled in as an immediate starter. I would just caution to not expect too much, too soon. But we will, of course.

Based on prior posts about Ellis (not those above), it seems that we expect way too much immediately. Maybe it's because he's our highest rated freshman. And some even relate those expectations to his GPA (which is irrelevant).

Remember ... Freshmen. Learning curve. Coach Self. Defense.

Don't be surprised if KY is starting at the 4 for a number of games to start the season.

flyingfinn 2 years, 4 months ago

No disrespect to KY but if he starts we are in trouble. He handles the ball like a brick and shoots even worse. He does bring energy off of the bench which is probably the best role for him.

hawksince51 2 years, 4 months ago

It sees to me that the Self system is not easily picked up by a freshman. With Ellis we have the positive and negaitve factors of high intelligence and lack of aggressiveness. So, I will keep my expectations in check especially in the early season. Beyond that I have confidence in Self and his staff molding this kid into an elite player. Certainly, he is one of the best pure shooters we have seen in a long time, especially for a big man. You do not see 67% overall, 43% from the 3 pt. line very often.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

HEM...I totally agree..it will be the four seniors plus BMac on opening day!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

I do agree..I think HCBS will fit him into the lineup quickly but not put him under that initial pressure of "lofty expectations". PE will be starting by XMAS!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree .. KY is best off the bench; we need Ellis to be the starter. And really, KY isn't at the talent level to be a starter here. I just think we (me included) had Ellis noted as a starter and Self might hold off on that for a bit. We do need Ellis to start.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

Does Zack Peters look like a young Sasha Kaun to anyone else? This kid is going to be a beast. He is going to be THE INTIMIDATOR!

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, only it seems like he's possibly already a wider body than Kaun was.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

On the matter of player height, Ellis looks shorter than either Wesley (6'8") or Peters (6'8" sometimes 6'9"). Is he 6' 61/2" with an honest tape measure? He might make an excellent small forward. He can shoot and he can drive.

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 years, 4 months ago

Dude, this angle is from slightly below shoulder level and with Wesley in the foreground - I have a hard time reading too much into what this might mean about any of their size.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 4 months ago

So excited for next season. We've got so many potential weapons, I hope we find the best way to utilize them all.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

If Perry Ellis cannot impact immediately, then Self has to rethink how he develops 5 star players.

Cal has proved not only can these 5 stars play out of the box, but they can, when mixed with second year 5 stars, win a ring, when starting.

My point is not that Self needs recruit a team of athletic freaks, but that he has to start getting strong, season long performances out of the ones he does sign, or stop wasting his time, and their times, recruiting them.

5 stars are problematic. Unless forced by injury, most will not be around 4, even 3, seasons. One or two seasons is it.

And if Self has to "develop" them one season just to get one full season, and maybe none, before jumping, the payback is too short.

Ellis needs to start and play unless he has been massively overrated.

And from the tone of his quotes above, he has also been given "the bad news." Perry is playing the 4, regardless of what was promised to sign him.

The news probably goes like this.

During recruiting, "You are as good as talented as I've recruited. You can play 3 and some 4."

This changes after enrollment during the first player-coach meeting to...

"You've got talent, but you need to get stronger and more aggressive. You will play 4 and some 3, when we post up a wing for a mismatch."

The sound of the cell door on the 4 position locking down!

Julian apparently got fed the line.

Marcus apparently got fed the line.

Thomas apparently got fed the line.

They worked and hoped and left without playing the 3.

Perry is a 4.0 student. He is very bright. He appears highly motivated. He comes from a strong, stable family. He probably has more and sharply quicker insight than Julian, Marcus and Thomas had. He knows he lost out on being coached by the best big man coach in the country. Now he also probably knows he was probably sold a bill of goods about the 3.

He is likely a quick study.

Unlike Julian, Marcus, and Thomas, from sharply disadvantaged backgrounds, and not especially gifted students, Perry Ellis does not desperately need Coach Self and KU basketball. Perry Ellis probably has the academics to transfer to Duke, Stanford, or even Harvard, the last of which happens to be on the rise a bit in hoops, without even playing ball. Which of these schools would turn him down as a transfer? None.

Why play 4 and get a KU degree, when you could play 3 and get a Duke, Stanford, or Harvard degree?

The Legacy is important.

But James Naismith graduated from McGill University and University of Denver--two prestigious academic institutions. He went to the best academic programs he could find and played sports. He would have wanted Perry to get the best education he could get and make the most of his athletic talent along the way.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Without Manning, and still having to play 4 instead of 3, where he would hold potentially his greatest MUA for his career, should he also turn down the opportunity to matriculate some of the best academic schools in the country for what is best for Coach Self's offensive and defensive preferences?

Tough call IMHO.

KU Basketball is a great, great privilege to be a part of for any Kansan.

But America is nothing if not about making the most of one's opportunities.

Without Manning, and now probably without the 3, is this the best a 4.0 5-star could do?

Perry appears to want to play 3 with his 43% trey and get a good b-school education. It seems he could find that opportunity a number of places, were Coach Self to keep him at the 4.

Unless things go wonderfully, this situation could get dicey.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

Are you depressed today and hoping for the worst?

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I wrote this in hopes that some even more depressed board rat would write something even more depressing, as you have just done. I was hoping that someone would use leaden English phrasing and write in a mind numbing monotone with nothing say. :-)

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 1

konkeyDong = irresponsible, punitive, vicious speculater and right wing attack dog

konkeyDong = vicious, sadistic hyper reactionary poopy dog

jaybate = prudent speculation

jaybate = humane, compassionate thinker

There, now I have turned your technique on you for satiric effect and gone you one better for fun.

Of course, I don't mean any of those things.

Still, I wonder if those readers that read only the first line or two of a post will be left with a negative impression of you and your take, as the first lines of your take might leave a negative impression of me and my take? :-)

For those that do read farther, what I wrote was prudent speculation.

Reactionary? Fuggedaboutit in my case. However, konkeyDong's post does seem to define a reactionary response.

Next, let's dissect the konkeyDongster's post for an off season workout here in the logonasium.

"What makes you think Ellis wasn't sincere is [sp] his commitment to Self?"--donkeyDong to jaybate

The problem with donkeyKong's POV is that there is no evidence that I have seen in all the years of Ellis' recruitment that Ellis wants to play the 4 rather than the 3 in college. I haven't read everything, of course, but I have seen no sign of it in what I have read.

konkyDongster, have you seen an Ellis-quote before this one that read, "I am choosing KU, because Coach Self will play me at the 4, which is my preferred position"?

Have you seen a quote where Ellis said, "I want to be groomed by Danny Manning to follow in the footsteps of Julian Wright, Marcus Morris, and Thomas Robinson at the 4, rather than play the 3"?

I have not.

To the contrary, I recall that Ellis' and his high school coach made it pretty clear he wanted to play the 3, because both thought he had the ability to do so.

Self has also left an impression during Ellis recruitment that Ellis could play the 3.

Further, it seems likely Ellis wasn't coming to KU in order to be coached by Danny Manning, because Manning left before Ellis arrived, rumors of Manning leaving after last season date at least a year back, and Ellis signed and came anyway.

And if Ellis were wanting to be groomed as a 4, and if he were coming to KU to be groomed by Manning, I have to think he probably would have reconsidered his commitment to KU, don't you, konkeyDong? Of course you do.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 2

A possible logical inference IMHO appears to be that Ellis probably didn't care about Manning leaving, because Ellis probably believed he, Ellis, would not be being coached by Manning much, if at all. He probably believed he was coming to be a 3 and maybe play a little 4.

But why would Perry Ellis say anything other than what he said, if Bill Self just gave him "the bad news"; that Perry was going to play 4 and maybe some 3, rather than 3 and may be some 4, regardless of what Ellis' expectations may have been to the contrary?

If you were a smart guy, a 4.0 student, and a player of the year recruit, why in the world would you make a public stink about the changed situation?

The strategic thing would be for Perry Ellis to say exactly what he said, whilst those advising him from outside the KU basketball program, would be looking into his options.

And the strategic thing for Self and staff to be doing would be to begin laying down a line of public rhetoric through selected players about Perry's lack of "aggressiveness."

If Ellis were to challenge this public line of rhetoric and say, "If I were so lacking in aggressiveness, why did I win player of the year, and why did they give me a ride," then he comes off arrogant and a bit of a baby, and if he were to say nothing, he would be being boxed into having to having some motivational weakness he needs Self to strengthen." In short, having selected players publicly question Perry's toughness takes away Perry's high ground and puts him on the defensive.

In fact, Ellis appeared to say the skillful thing. He left the clear indication right at the start of summer school that Self has now told him that he will be playing 4 and some 3 in certain circumstances. That is now on the record. And that record seems somewhat different than what had been discussed publicly during Ellis' recruitment.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 3

Commenting now and documenting and dating it on the public record might be useful, if Ellis were one day to dispute the circumstances of his recruitment and subsequent treatment as a player, in order to uncouple from KU.

"Even if he doesn't get to play the 3, why should that make him run for the hills?" --konkeyDong

This seems so naive as to be disingenuous, but I will answer as if your question is genuine. A 6'8" 234 lb. player at the 3 position with a 43% trey gun would be an every game match up advantage in college basketball and would make Ellis so phenomenally marketable in the draft that he would almost immediately leave after his first season.

On the other hand, Perry playing the 4 at 6-8 and 234 pounds is a tweener in the NBA draft and almost certainly to be viewed as less special of a talent.

Spending three years playing the 4 and not the 3 has probably significantly hampered Julian Wright and Marcus Morris as pros, where they have lacked the experience and development to play the 3 out of the box. Perry could face the same problem.

But if Ellis were to play the 3 successfully at KU, he would practically be gold at draft time and likely have less difficulty transitioning in the NBA. Perry Ellis is an inch taller than Xavier, probably quite a bit smarter, and probably a better trey shooter than Xavier. Xavier played the 3 and was gone instantly, despite only a so-so season at KU. The same would happen to Perry Ellis, were he allowed to play 3.

But at the 4, Perry has to spend a good year, or two trying to learn the muscle game and has to put on a lot of muscle to be a good risk in the NBA as a 4.

As nearly as I can tell, Perry Ellis would be vastly better off starting and playing the 3, because it would be his only season before collecting huge pay checks.

As a four, he is almost certain to need a couple of years of college ball to beef up to NBA standards for 4s.

"It didn't scare off any of the other players you mentioned." --konkeyDong

Of course being forced to play the 4 did not scare off Julian, Marcus, or Thomas. None of these guys had a 43% trey gun. None of these guys were 4.0 students capable of attending freaking Harvard, Stanford, or Duke. And none of these guys came from stable families with enough resources to enable them to consider other options.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 4

"I know every 4 out of high school says he'd like to play the 3, but what I really think most of them mean is that they'd like to be able to drive the ball, take their man face up, and shoot on the perimeter." --konkeyDong

This is just silly unsupported, gross overgeneralization. You don't know this. You have no evidence to back up the claim. And you sure as hell can't read kids minds any better than I can. :-)

"I just couldn't imagine what the scenario would have to be where he'd cut ties with the program." --konkeyDong

I have now thoroughly imagined if for you, because you were too lazy to do the thinking on your own.

"Certainly it wouldn't be anything as petty as floor positioning." --konkeyDong

Heck, I can't believe anyone that has watched a few college seasons and a few pro drafts could say something this obtuse. Floor positioning petty? Still, in the interests of being genuine, I will repeat: Perry Ellis would be a fabulously special 3, and just another good 4. What position he plays and how much time he spends developing his game at that position is likely going to have a big impact on his career and his earning ability.

Perry Ellis was a huge get for Self and KU.

Self needed him desperately to keep this class from being a middling one.

Every major program wanted him.

Every major program probably would still love for him to transfer.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

konkeyDong, you rant insanely.

konkeyDong, you don't answer questions.

konkeyDong, you offer no evidence and accept none.

konkerDong, you can dish it, but can't take it.

konkeyDong, you are lazy.

konkeyDong, can't imagine things.

konkeyDong, why even bother posting your crap?

Ahem.

Now, I've turned your technique on you again.

We can keep doing this forever. :-)

Do other posters really let you write this stuff to them without exposing you?

Again, the issue is Perry Ellis reputedly coming to play the 3, and having to play the 4. The issue cascade is that playing the 4 could cost him a lot of money by diverting his development into a position in which he would not be nearly as rare and valuable of a draft commodity.

The issue is not donkeyKong's inability to imagine such things. :-)

I will only note that each criticism you make of me is one you are making yourself.

This is not an unusual phenomenon. Everyone makes this mistake once in awhile, when the get testy.

But I have never read another poster that does this nearly as consistently as you do.

Its interesting clinically speaking.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 4 months ago

Very nice. 4, 8 and 10 made me laugh out loud.

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

6- corn squeezin's is corn squeezin's

classic!

Ted Hume 2 years, 4 months ago

Looking at and watching clips of Perry, I have an observation: I hate to make any mention of Duke on this site, but he reminds me of Shane Battier with a little Grant Hill mixed in...

Freedman Moor 2 years, 4 months ago

In regards to Ellis and Peters, I've really had to fight back the temptation for speculative hyperbole. Has KU ever had a set of bigs this skilled? Nick and Drew come to mind, but Gooden was so raw. The combination of their brains and ability reminds me more of a front court version of Jacque Vaughn and Jerrod Hasse.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 4 months ago

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Ok. I really do try to relax. I take deep breaths. I look at birds out the window. I play soothing music. I try to realize that everyone here can't have insight -- they can't be drgnslayr, or Oakville, or Ralster, or many of the others that observe, process, and rationally opine.

But good Lord. We are lacking on the processing part.

CrimsonandBlueFor Life makes a Perry Ellis - Danny Manning comparison.

And not to be outdone, one measly minute later, 1stnamemister compares the Ellis/Peters combo to Collison/Gooden? And then he extended the comparison to Haase and Vaughn?

Now, I was searching for a handgun to place slowly against my temple. It would have been much less painful. But I reconsidered.

I need answers. But what can be said? There is not a word in the English language to properly capture the depth of the insanity. There was the Merv Lindsay/Brandon Rush comparison last summer, or the Justin Wesley/Darrell Arthur mention, and the Milton Doyle orgasms recently. Or the post yesterday by kellerman411 about Traylor being underrated -- after watching him on a youtube video dunking on AAU midgets with Anthony Davis by his side. Insanity.

What I am looking for is an answer .. how can someone, even at a distance, watch KU basketball and say what I have mentioned above? My wife wouldn't say that. She doesn't know much .. about KU basketball. My wife would say, innocently, "Have Peters or Ellis even played a game yet?" or "Wasn't Collison an all-American?" or "Wasn't Danny Manning like the best player of our generation?" From the mouths of babes, right? Just plain common sense.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. But it does.

If both of you would just take it back (and I'll include kellerman, too .. all three of you). Please say "I take it back. I was insane when I made this post." I will sleep better. I will be able to breathe. But I have placed my handgun in a much safer place. To rid me of the temptation to take the easy way out.

Plus, putting the handgun away allows me to enjoy Landen Lucas. He is incredible. I, myself, have fought the urge to speculate and engage in crazy talk. But this kid has to be the real deal. I just feel it. I think I saw a video that shows him in action. Have we ever had a center with this much raw talent and skill? It seems that Lucas could be the next Wilt Chamberlain, but who can say? Very exciting ....

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Part of being any kind of fan involves existential defense mechanisms. By seemingly belonging to a larger social aggregate one gets to enhance self-esteem. A tip-off is the pronouns used: "We were AWESOME last night!" vs "They sucked at defense and 3 point shooting...that's why they lost." The first is "basking in reflected glory"; the second "casting off reflected failure." BIRG-ing and CORF-ing respectively.

Being part of the second winningest college program of all time provides for a LOT of BIRG-ing. (Today I was waving the wheat to the driver of the car in front of me, a car with Missouri plates...that may be both BIRG-ing and CORF-ing.) Anyway, with no games for another few months, we have to bask in potential glory; our self-esteem is part of the future's market. (CORF-ing we do with fellow posters.)

This may not explain posters' proclivity for hyperbole, but it is something I learned in Frazier Hall from Rick Snyder 20 years ago in Frazier Hall, at KU.

Just a theory.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe the Hooters chain will soon be joined by one called Schlongs.

I am confident that EJ's knee is more likely to be healthy this season, after playing on it injured last season and having his knee scoped recently, than if he had never injured it at all.

BenMac will step in and break all records at the 2 his first season, because the Morri said he was a future NBA draft choice and the Morri are the most reliable judges of talent around.

We have every reason to believe that Jeff Withey will be as effective with Jamari Traylor as with Thomas Robinson.

Travis Releford almost certainly will be a 40% trey shooter this season, precisely because he has never been one before.

Justin Wesley is still the most athletic guy on the team, and will play with supreme self-confidence from the first tip off, because of a year of maturity.

The 4 is the position that Perry Ellis really wants to play at KU and the position he expected to play.

Perry Ellis really lacks aggressiveness and Bill Self did not direct Jeff Withey to comment publicly about how Perry Ellis needs to get more aggressive.

Zach Peters once sang base in The Temptations and will start out able to hedge defend 25 feet from the basket.

Landon Lucas can say no to cheese cake, while dunking the ball with a 42 inch vertical.

Nepotism is good for team morale.

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

Top-5? That might be stretching things a bit.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope you're right. You may be with Frankamp.

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with coach Self, that no matter what a KU player is going to get a Championship ring.

Heck the Conference finals, no matter who won there would have been a Jayhawk on the bench of all 4 of those teams.

HOw many of Calapari's minions will there be?

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 4 months ago

We got our rings on April 2, 2012 in New Orleans!!!

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

Can't wait to see yours on your finger.

Oh wait, you're just a fan, you don't get a ring.

And Coach Self got his back in '08.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

Andy Katz is not a KU fan. On May 18, he had TRob as #12. It seems like he finally realized how silly that was.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

How cool was it seing Nick Collison in an NBA finals game?

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Top Ten Complaints of jaybate:

10] Lack of sexual intimacy with Playboy playmates throughout lifetime 9] KU perhaps having to play 9-man football this season. 8] Can't tell the coaches' sons apart without a program. 7] Tom Keegan's failure to pose nude with Gary Bedore, while team writing a story about latent eroticism between editors and beat writers 6] Lew not keeping the exercise equipment 5] everything changing after 9/11 for no apparent reason, and then never changing back for no apparent reason. 4] CBernie failing to shimmy after conference wins 3] inadequate length of jaybate's posts 2] the failure of the University of Kansas to change its legal name to Kansas University in order to please the owners of the World Corporation

...and the Number One complaint of jaybate is.......

oakvillejhawk capitalizing the "j" in jaybate!!!

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

No, as with the "r" in ralster, the "j" in jaybate is always lower case, out of deference to e.e. cummings and out of inverted homage to Archie and Mehitabel's "Capitals at Last", which I cannot spell in caps, because the site filter won't allow me to.

And I dangled that preposition just for you. :-)

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

Collison had 10 boards tonight. He may be quick between the ears but he also has some old fashioned cave man grit to him as well. When it's all said and done and the Thunder have won it all those fans will be talking about his effort for years to come.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations Perry Ellis! A fast, talented big who can step outside is what we need.

Im not expecting him to be Danny Manning, but I would be very pleased if he could be Marcus Morris.