Monday, June 11, 2012

Lineman Chad Kolumber bolts

The parade out of Lawrence grew by one recently when Kansas University offensive lineman Chad Kolumber decided to transfer to Richmond.

There was no official release from KU regarding Kolumber’s status, and a KU spokesperson would not confirm or deny the departure, but several news outlets in Richmond, Va., reported the transfer last week, and Kolumber posted a photo of his acceptance packet on his Twitter account over the weekend.

Kolumber, a 6-foot-6, 318-pound sophomore from Norristown, Pa., appeared in five games for the Jayhawks during the 2011 season and red-shirted in 2010.

He will be eligible to play immediately because the Spiders compete at the FCS level, one step below the FBS pool of teams that includes Kansas.

Kolumber joins sophomore kicker Alex Mueller and sophomore linebacker Jake Farley as the most recent players to leave the program now run by head coach Charlie Weis. In all, 23 players eligible for return have left KU since the end of last season. Some elected to transfer or pursue other opportunities, and others were dismissed by Weis.

The Jayhawks currently are running through offseason workouts with strength and conditioning director Scott Holsopple and will do so throughout the month.

Webb bound for Buffs?

Multiple reports out of Colorado indicate former KU quarterback Jordan Webb will transfer to Colorado to finish his college football career.

Webb, a two-year starter from Union, Mo., has two years of eligibility remaining and is eligible to play immediately because of the NCAA transfer rule that allows graduates to play at a new school right away without sitting out a year. Webb graduated from KU in May and is taking advantage of the same rule that Weis used to bring several players to Kansas.

Some of the reports have said that CU coach Jon Embree may be looking at Webb to compete for the starting job this fall.

Weis to try hoops

Since his arrival in December, Weis has made no secret of how much he respects the KU basketball program. Thursday night at the fourth annual Rock Chalk Roundball Classic at Free State High, Weis will become a part of it.

According to event director Brian Hanni, Weis will be an honorary coach at the event that will include former KU standouts Ron Kellogg, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles, Christian Moody, Brady Morningstar, Ryan Robertson, Russell Robinson, Wayne Simien, Darnell Valentine and Julian Wright.

Barfield heads north

The Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League recently invited former KU cornerback Isiah Barfield to camp, making him the fourth player from last season’s team to be picked up by a professional football team.

Tight end Tim Biere (Kansas City), linebacker Steven Johnson (Denver) and offensive lineman Jeff Spikes (New Orleans) all received invites to NFL camps following April’s draft.

Barfield, who hails from Haven, played in 36 games during his KU career, making 24 starts.

Comments

jayhawkboogeyman 2 years, 5 months ago

I love how coach Weis has embraced KU basketball and really made himself an ambassador for the whole university. What a difference from the days when that gonad measuring contest between football and basketball defined our national image and the tailspin the football program dove into after that.

JJHawq 2 years, 5 months ago

good luck to Jordan Webb - it didn't work out the way anyone hoped when we signed him - but i thank him for the hard work regardless of the outcome.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll second this. Jordan, I hope the CU line protects you better than the KU line did. You are a tough dude to get up off the turf, time and again, after taking the hits you were taking.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Nice job, you previous posters....keeping it positive and upbeat. maybe we all should try a little more of of that on the BBall site!!

Best luck to all you Jayhawks!!!

yates33333 2 years, 5 months ago

How old is Valentine? Great player, but he must be in his fifties. Ron Kellogg, favorite all time downtown shooter, must be getting close to the Big 50 also. I shall never forget that Kellogg team. Proof positive that the best team doesn't always win the big prize.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Darnell Played in the late 70's, which makes him mid-50's. Ron played in the early 80's, so he's a couple parties short.

John Boyle 2 years, 5 months ago

Valentine graduated in '81. He is 53 years "young".

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

Darnell was a 1977 grad from Wichita Heights. That would make him 52 or 53 years of age.

Ron was a senior is 1986 or '87. That would put him 47 or 48.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 5 months ago

Kellogg was a regular poster on this board a couple years back.

VaJay 2 years, 5 months ago

Any speculation on why he left for Richmond? Was he on the current 2-deep chart? Is it much of a loss?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Family? Conditioning? Seem like the probables. The total is nothing that CW didn't warn us about from the word go. It certainly does make this next class a potentially program defining class, and this season huge as far as changing the perception of the program (in the minds of recruits). Many of the best will already be committed, but there will be plenty waiting to see what kind of turn around can be performed. I'd expect maybe a few more JC's than normal in the next class.

okiedave 2 years, 5 months ago

These departures do not concern me. Gundy dismissed and had numerous departures during his first two years at Okie State. It actually clenses the program to have players leave who do not want to be at KU or who do not buy into the system .

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Best of luck to Webb at Colorado. Jordan may not be the most talented kid, but from all reports I've seen he worked his butt off to become as good as he could, he kept his grades up (he graduated in 3 years so I highly doubt he had any issues with grades), and didn't get into legal trouble off the field. A team full of people with Jordan's work ethic and attitude is something that any coach would love to have. I wish Jordan all the best at Colorado and hope he can win the starting job for Colorado.

frenchiedavinci 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for the well-wishes for my son. KU afforded him a wonderful education - one that he and I are so proud of. I was so proud to watch him walk down the "Hill," and no, he never walked under the bell tower until that day. But life is about moving on, and taking advantage of what you must do to try and be successful. And I think he will - RCJHKU!

frenchiedavinci 2 years, 5 months ago

danmoore 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Jordan landed in an impossible situation. I'm glad he is getting another chance.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely. He made his share of bonehead passes, but I can't imagine what it took to keep coming back for the next series when nothing was going right. He never complained and never quit. Honestly he had a few plays I will never in my life forget. A few that are only topped by Reesing's heroics.

Unfortunately he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would love, love, love, to see him earn the starting spot and excel at CU. He's a good kid with a ton of heart.

jayhawkrob 2 years, 5 months ago

I actually got a chance to eat dinner with JWebb and Wayne Simien at a church function awhile back and he seems like an awesome kid whos got a good head on his shoulders. JAYHAWK NATION WILL BE ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

Ted Toulouse 2 years, 5 months ago

Funny, never knew Kolumber was playing last season because the NAMES WEREN'T ON THE BACK OF THE JERSEYS!

Will be a nice change back to normal this year :)

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 5 months ago

I still believe that the1986 team (Ron Kellogg, Greg Dreiling, Cedric Hunter, Archie Marshall, Turgeon, Manning, et.al) would have won the NC had there been a 3-point line. Kellogg had one smooth left-handed jumper; Hunter to Thompson "Cally-oop"; Manning & Dreiling in the middle. One of my favorite all-time teams!!

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

Calvin 'Pony' Thompson, Ronnie Kellogg a great team, Danny was a freshman or sohpomore, can't recall, just my view they would have beaten DM senior team, it is the roll of the dice sometimes. Many T. Owens teams were loaded, yet with no shot clock others would play hold the rock and stall.

Top Ten KU Teams to not win it all: WIlt '57 JoJo & Robisch '68 Kellogg & Thompson '86 Vaughan 35-3 (what was it '96 '97) what team did I leave out?

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh well, just some more of the dirty laundry leaving town!! The two were not first team players anyway. At least the two can now play full time in a much smaller college team.

Danimal 2 years, 5 months ago

It's going to be difficult to replace Mueller, he was starting to look like he was going to be the best kicker KU has had in a few years.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm 5ft 7 and my sis is 6ft 7 and she could kick better than that clown and she's 50 years old.