Sunday, June 10, 2012

Evan Manning returns to camp

Evan Manning signs autographs at Bill Self’s basketball camp on Sunday, June 10, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse. Look closely, and you’ll see a picture of Evan’s dad, Danny, behind Evan’s left shoulder.

Evan Manning sat at a table with fellow Kansas University freshmen Zach Peters and Tyler Self for 21⁄2 hours Sunday afternoon in Booth Family Hall of Athletics, fulfilling his first official obligation as a Jayhawk basketball player.

He posed for pictures with — and signed autographs for — approximately 800 youngsters on orientation day at Bill Self’s KU basketball camp for boys 8 to 18 years old.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Manning, a 6-foot-2, 175-pound walk-on guard out of Free State High and New Hampton (N.H.) Prep School. “Being around all the campers reminded me of when I went (to KU camp). I went here eight years for camp, both coach Self and coach (Roy) Williams. It brought back a lot of memories.”

He has vague recollections of his first KU camp.

“I think I started a year earlier than everyone else,” Manning said of when he was 7. “My dad wanted me to go earlier so I got one extra year in. I was a young one, though.”

Manning’s dad, of course, is former KU All-America player and assistant coach Danny Manning, who is starting his first year as Tulsa University’s head basketball coach.

Danny Manning’s presence was felt by Evan on Sunday. Right above Evan’s left shoulder was a picture of Danny in a display featuring shots of all of the members of KU’s Athletic Hall of Fame.

“I didn’t realize it until I sat down, and 15 minutes later I looked back and noticed he was right behind me. I thought it was kind of funny,” Evan Manning said of dad’s photo.

Evan Manning, who averaged about nine points and six assists a game as a part-time starter last season for New Hampton (26-9), hopes to blaze his own trail at KU. He has chosen to wear jersey No. 10, not his dad’s No. 25.

“It’s my mom’s favorite number,” said Evan, who wore No. 32 (Peters’ number) at Free State and No. 5 (Jeff Withey) at New Hampton. “My favorite numbers weren’t available, so I went with my mom’s 10.

Did he have any desire to wear No. 25?

“Definitely not. I mean that’d put a little extra pressure on me,” he said. “That’s my dad’s number. That’s not my number.”

Evan said he felt comfortable during the first few pick-up games of the summer, contested last week.

“Prep school definitely helped me. It gave me a lot of confidence. Defensively, I’m a lot better than I was coming out of high school,” Manning said. “Defense is what I’m going to be working on most as a walk-on. I know my role (mainly as practice player), and I’ve gotten better at it.”

Manning would love to have a KU career that rivaled that of former Free State High guard Brady Morningstar.

“I look up to Brady a lot,” Manning said. “I like the way he played, for the right reasons. He wasn’t selfish. He always did what the team needed.”

Manning likes what he has seen of his fellow KU freshmen. So far, Peters, Self, Perry Ellis and Andrew White have been in town, along with red-shirt freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor. Landen Lucas graduates today and is expected in town this week. Anrio Adams and Milton Doyle are likely to join the class at some point, once they go through graduation ceremonies and it’s determined they will qualify academically.

“We’ll all get to know each other this summer,” Manning said. “We’re all in the same summer school classes. This summer will be good bonding time for everyone.”

The players will be sure to watch the NBA finals together. Miami travels to Oklahoma City for Game One versus the Thunder on Tuesday.

“I am for the Heat,” Evan Manning said, noting dad, Danny, is likely for “the Thunder being in Oklahoma now.”

“I am a big LeBron (James) fan and definitely Mario (Chalmers, Heat), but either way, someone from Kansas gets a ring,” he added, noting Nick Collison and Cole Aldrich play for OKC.

Numbers: Here are the jersey numbers of freshmen who attended the camp picture/signing session on Sunday: Ellis (34), Manning (10), McLemore (23), Peters (32), Self (11), Traylor (31), White (3). Landen Lucas will be No. 33.

Recruiting: Wayne Selden, a 6-4 small forward from Tilton (N.H.) High School, has reclassified from the recruiting Class of 2014 to ’13, Rivals.com reports. Selden, who was ranked No. 13 in the Class of ’14, has scholarship offers from KU, Boston College, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio State, Providence, Syracuse, UCLA, Virginia and others. Selden told JayhawkSlant.com that KU, UCLA, Ohio State, and Florida are recruiting him the hardest. ... Chris Walker, a 6-9 senior power forward from Holmes County High in Bonifay, Fla., tells JayhawkSlant.com he will visit KU this fall. The No. 6-rated player in the Class of 2013 also likes Florida, Kentucky, Louisville, Syracuse, Baylor and Ohio State.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

This is a total joke thread--> I mean who really cares about the walk-ons? I dont. It seems the mood in AFH at the end of a blowout always was to get "Spoonie" (or whoever) in there so they could launch the obligatory 3. Something to cheer about, I guess, but pointless.

And all this pontification that the walk-ons are not going to make the starting 5 any better is also rubbish. How about it actually being the Red team that scrimmages vs. the Blue team? Actual Div1-level talent going against each other.

The advancement of the KU bball legacy is not, not, not in the hands of the walkons--never has been, never will be. Its in the hands of the top 7 or 8 on the roster.

UncleMiltyN 1 year, 10 months ago

Given what Danny and Bill have done for KU Basketball, I think two roster spots should be reserved for any of their progeny in the correct age bracket from now on.

ColoKU 1 year, 10 months ago

It's The University of Tulsa, not the other way around. No idea why this publication refuses to show respect to the institutions it writes about by at least getting their name's correctly.

Mr_C 1 year, 10 months ago

This team is loaded. Proven upper-classmen, and LOTS of young talent. Some of that young talent will rise to the top, and become the guys you count on off the bench. The rest will make one of the best practice sqads in the country. Three walkons, who show up on day one saying "I know my role here.. to play good defense in practice" aren't going to hurt the program any at all. In fact, I think it's a credit to a player of that young age to come in with so great an attitude. Maybe one of them will turn into the next Brady Morningstar, would be great for him if he does. If not, in 4 years I'll clap as loudly for them on senior day as I have for any other player. And I have complete faith in them, their parents, and our coaching staff that they will have thoroughly earned it. Until then, its the opportunity of a lifetime. I hope they makes the most of it, and enjoy every step of the journey.

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

Kimmie English was supposed to be working out for the Grizzlies today. Wonder if he had a last minute excuse that caused him not to show? Tyshawn was also supposed to be at the same workout.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

So, the Antlers really were just under the influence of a variety of substances that alter behavior. Huh, go figure! And all this time, we just saw them as really obnoxious fans. Please excuse our obvious lack of sensitivity to the perils of substance abuse. Hope all of you go to rehab....no, no, no!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

~jaybateslanted.com's basketball omnsbudsman Jon Klene, suggests: How about the Free-Pass Walk-ons (aka None And Dones, or NADs) at KU be given letters instead of numbers to help distinguish them for fans?

~Chris Walker tells jaybateslanted.com that he will visit Alpha Centauri State in the first galactic recruiting visit, as well as all of the major basketball programs on earth.

p>~jaybateslanted.com indicates that Missouri will change mascots as part of their move to the SEC. They will henceforth be called the Missouri Meths.

~jaybateslanted.com's very own investigative reporter Connie Speeracy, announces that she has finally uncovered the real reason for all of the free-pass walk-ons on this year's KU team. Speeracy says the real job of each free-pass walk-on is to achieve high individual GPAs and degrees, so as to off set the lower GPAs and graduation rates of scholarship athletes, especially OADs and other early departures. Graduating walk-ons reputedly subsidizes not graduating scholarship players. (Note: editors can find not one shred of evidence for Speeracy's claim.)

~As part of a D.A.R.P.A. research grant, Evan Manning, Tyler Self and Niko Roberts will be given Top Secret human growth hormone thrice a day this year at training table and are expected to form KU's first set of three 7 footers on next year's team.

~Rumors that the Allen Field House scoreboard is being updated in order to enable live feeds of an Iran Invasion after the presidential election are without factual basis. It is believed the scoreboard already has this capacity.

jaybateslanted.com's computer generated, podcast anchorman, Vick VitalePrime, not to be confused with the real Dick Vitale, because Vick VitalePrime sports a full head of hair, and is a digital illusion, reports that he and other jaybateslanted.com staffers, like Connie Speeracy, Onepac Geddabasket, Lionel "Point" Spredd, and Redfeld Hypewell, will cover a new beat this coming season: the media/gaming complex and the margin of victory in college basketball.

(Note: for both preceding posts by jaybate...all fiction, no malice.)

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"jaybateslanted.com's Sportz Newz and Inurendos: Vol. 1"

~Wayne Selden has inspired jaybateslanted.com's recruiting guru, Raj Payola-shishna, to reclassify from the class of New Dehli High School, class of 1964 ,to the class of 2013. Raj hopes to be the first KU recruit to wear his jock over madras plaid absorbent diapers.

~Raj Payola-shishna also says that his years of recruiting experience tell him that Coach Self will sign at least one recruit each year that he coaches at KU, and that if you want more in depth recruiting information you will have to sign up for his private newsletter for $798 per year.

~Evan Manning gets the jaybateslanted.com's award for "Most Optimistic Freshman Free-Pass Walk-On" for modeling himself off two-year starter, three-year rotation player, career 40% trey shooter, top perimeter defender, and now NBA D league player Brady Morningstar.

~There is no truth to the rumor that Frank Haith will retire this summer do to terminal repetitive stress syndrome related to reputed illegal phone calling of recruits.

~Barbecued Tiger balls (aka Bengal Oysters) are being flown in for NCAA investigators to feast on while reputedly investigating Frank Haith's smoking cell phone.

~Nick Collison's philosophy of reshaping his game to increase his value to his team will be challenged by the Heat's big three that tend to devalue anyone in the lane.

~jaybateslanted.com's editor and imperator, jaybate, sez: I love Mario in a big, big way, but I am pulling for Durant, Nick and Cole of the Oklahoma City Thunder Crackers to upset Miami's Athletic Freaks R' Us.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps we can strike a deal with this website .. no more articles on walk-ons, and in turn, we'll pretend it never happened and just worry about the guys that will actually play.

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

Incredible. Just read the full ESPN story on Haith's troubles with the presence of cocaine around his basketball team.

Apparently the Mizzou fan--a friend of the team for 4 years--- flew along to the Norfolk state game with pounds of cocaine---hanging around the team behind the scenes for what appears to be 24 hours---and was later arrested by the Feds just a few hours before the game at the hotel, more than likely right in front of the team.

This explains why the players during the game looked like they were concerned agents and dogs could have been sniffing through their bags.

Yet another terrible day to be a Tiger.

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

If you can't start and average more than 2 points at Free State High School, you have no business playing on a D1 basketball team.

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Clearly Missouri is moving up the ladder in the quality of their state's DOC, given the new found wealth of the SEC...

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Manning should have taken #25.

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Manning should have taken #25.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

love the headlines!!!!

Missery fits right into the SEC now, but would have thought methissery would have had a diff #1 choice

guess they will blam this for why they lost to Norfolk St

missouricat 1 year, 10 months ago

wildjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Looks like Self is losing out on the recruiting again and can only get walkons for his team. What a sorry coach. Can we get John C. as a coach?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Comments;

1] I can't believe that the very mention of Brady Morningstar's name hasn't ignited a storm of controversy both pro and anti!!

2] Unusual coincidence that the last names of the three coaches sons can all actually be used in totally different context ..i.e. The cook is manning the ramparts in order to prove his self worth.

3] Adams and Doyle's numbers will be their ACT scores.

4] I sat on the end of the bench for three seasons in high school and there are advantages. .........you're cloer to the cheerleaders .........you're closer to the gatoraide .........you can text and tweet and no one notices .........great opportunity to catch up on homework .........you can wear your pants on backwards..and no one notices. .........you always get on TV as the networks show shots of the scrubs cheering .........someone can sneak you a Coke and a candy bar .........you can start the wave [coaches rarely appreciate this one]

5] My gut feeling is Evan will transfer to Tulsa before his eligibility is up.

Jason Keller 1 year, 10 months ago

This is a pretty good highlight reel of Anthony Davis and Jamari Traylor, the "MeanStreets Monsters". I think Jamari is really under rated after seeing this.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 10 months ago

So much for fairness and integrity ! What a joke.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Here is another little nugget to sift through the sluice pan. For the future of coaching, all of these 3 walk-ons might someday help guide the programs of Div. I teams. They have been weaned in the homes of fathers who are associated with winning Jayhawk basketball. Their 4 year association with and learning experiences from the best college coach in the land might pay huge dividends in the future, both for them and as a reflection on all things Jayhawk.
Roy WIlliams was not a significant player for Dean Smith's TarHeels, but look what the exposure to Smith's coaching earned for him. Who could have predicted that an earnest guy who got into coaching by driving the state of North Carolina peddling TarHeel programs for a heralded coach would some day lead his alma mater to two national championships? In twenty years we might see Evan, Tyler or Nikko sitting at the throne of Jayhawk hoops leadership.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Why go socially ugly regarding the issue of coaches' sons on the Jayhawk bench? Manning and Self, esp., have been names which have offered absolute gold to the program. This season hosts plenty of scholarship players with depth at most positions. If BIll Self feels the need to plug in another walk-on to bolster any slot, he will do so.
Kudos to Nikko, Tyler and Evan for bringing their games to the levels which they have accomplished. If it pans out that they add nothing to the practice squads, Bill Self will be the first to make adjustments. I won't be one bit surprised to see at least one of these kids make a substantial contribution in a game somewhere down the pike.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

Cant hate on coaches son's, they will be pushed the hardest in practice....

Is it just me or when you see "Self" listed do you think that Bill is somehow gettting ready to suit up, and possibly wearing #11?

Rock Chalk

Billy Derringer 1 year, 10 months ago

i see nothing wrong with these 3 guys walking on an being at the end of the bench (way at the end). All this is-is a few professional dads who know each other an want the best for there kids, as for the guys walkin on its an enormous break for them because A) there talent isnt above averge an B) they havent nessasarly earned it. my only question might be there hunger, an efort,. they all three have been blessed to be raised by weathy parents,not sure how hard they had to work at something to get what they covet. whos going to be the one who grows the most an earns some show time an be a fan fav.an gives us a spark at the end of some random game while ku's up 25 . sink or swim this team is loaded with youth an sould be damm good.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

This is about the third re-hash of all of this "walk on debate"

There will be two to three prevailing opinions regarding this issue of coach's sons as walk ons.

None of us are going to influence each of the contra opinions that do not line up with our own. So, I choose not to jump down somebody's throat in efforts to sound like my opinion is the right one.

I know, unfortunately, that this is just my decision and the embarrasment will ensue as Jayhawk "Fans" bicker among ourselves. Truth is, we are not debating. We're merely showing our disapproval of decisions made by the coaching staff and athletic department. Freedom to express one's opinions is precious, even on this site. But, this subject is non-negotiable and won't be influenced by our comments.

My opinion is: Give it a rest! There will be other things to comment on any minute that will be of much more value. Then we can get back to the business of in-fighting with substance!

drymartinie 1 year, 10 months ago

If we had 8 scholarship players and these guys rounded out the rest I could maybe see your point. But we have 13 scholarship player PLUS Justin Wesley and Christian Garrett and then the three coaches sons. So I don't think they are the make or break issue when there are 15 players ahead of them on the bench who can practice/play.

Brian Mensch 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess Anrio's number this year is being conceded as 44-Long.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not hating, just saying.

The problem with two daddy's boys on the team is that they will not make the starters better. I guarantee you there are plenty more talented kids playing at the rec that had better high school years or put some time in at the JuCo level before coming to KU that could push the starters harder than manning/self. And gawd forbid someone goes down with an injury or a couple of players get in foul trouble and we need a few minutes from a guy at the end of the bench. It's too bad that those kids will not be given a fair shot to walk on and realize their dream because of a last name.

(I can hear the alarms going off in the ljw newsroom right now. Someone is being critical of a Coach Self decision. Must delete this comment before other fans start to think for themselves)