Saturday, June 9, 2012

T-Rob’s stature growing

Bill Self laughs off big man’s combine shrinkage

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self meets the press after participating in the Otto Schnellbacher Classic on Friday, June 8, 2012, in Mayetta.

— Thomas Robinson, who was listed as a 6-foot-10 power forward his junior season at Kansas University, shrunk just a bit at this week’s NBA Combine in Chicago.

“I saw Thomas measured 6-83⁄4 (in shoes), which is good. I was hoping anything 6-8 (or taller),” KU coach Bill Self said with a smile at Friday’s Otto Schnellbacher Classic at Firekeeper Golf Course.

“His wingspan was 7-3, which is a pleasant surprise. His body fat is 5 percent. That’s remarkable. He’s obviously in shape,” Self added of the Washington, D.C., native, who weighed in at 244 pounds.

The measurements met the approval of draftexpress.com, which immediately moved Robinson up three slots to No. 2 overall in its latest mock draft.

KU’s Tyshawn Taylor measured 6-4 in shoes, 177 pounds with 4.2 percent body fat and a 6-61⁄4 wingspan. He’s listed as a first-round pick by draftexpress.com at No. 27 overall.

“Tyshawn is playing well (in individual workouts). We’ve been talking to NBA people all the time,” Self said. “He could be the fourth or fifth point guard taken, with a chance to move up a little bit. I’m excited for both of them.”

Robinson, by the way, talked a little trash at Thursday’s combine media session. Asked about projected No. 1 pick Anthony Davis’ T-shirt that read, “Check my stats,” Robinson told SI.com: “If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do. I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’”

Robinson added: “I’m going to go after every team that I step on the floor against. There’s really not going to be a specific team that I’m going to point out and just try to kill. I’m trying to kill everybody. I think I play with a different level than everyone else, a different intensity level. I’m going to play every night. That’s not something every guy does.”

Assisting youth: Self’s Assists Foundation is ready to make a sizable donation toward a proposed recreation complex in northwest Lawrence. KU tentatively plans to build an outdoor track and soccer complex at the site as well.

“It is not done yet. Hopefully it’ll be finalized,” Self said. “I know there’s been several generous people in our community who stepped up to try to make this a reality ... and the backing of the city. The great thing about it is it will not cost people money. It will not raise taxes, at least the way I understand it now. It’s something that will definitely benefit the community, benefit the youth, which is my primary concern, to give them more opportunities, but also have huge economic impact moving forward.”

Eight freshmen: While not naming names of unsigned players, Self clarified his incoming recruiting class of 2012 on Friday.

“It’s not a heralded recruiting class (by experts). Throw Ben and Jamari in there, we’re going to have eight good freshmen,” Self said.

Red-shirt freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor are joined by signees Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, Zach Peters and Andrew White. The other two players in the class figure to be Anrio Adams, a combo guard from Seattle, and Milton Doyle, a point guard from Chicago. Both are awaiting their ACT test scores to be matched with final grades to see if they qualify academically. If, as expected, they qualify, it is believed they’ll be in KU’s recruiting class. In fact, it is believed both have filled out their scholarship grant-in-aid papers. KU also is adding walk-on freshmen Tyler Self and Evan Manning.

NBA playoffs: Self, who indicated he’s been watching the NBA playoffs with great interest — interrupted only by last week’s vacation in Cancun — was asked about the possibility of a Boston-Oklahoma City NBA final or Miami-OKC final.

“As a basketball purist, I could make the case I want to see the Spurs and Celtics play,” Self said. “If you have the Heat and Thunder go at it ... I don’t know if there’s ever been a more athletic final two teams playing. Oklahoma City is so young and bouncy. The Heat have the biggest athletic freak on the planet now in LeBron (James). It’d be unbelievable. I’d think that’s exactly how David Stern would love to script it from a marketing standpoint, having the two best players in the world going against each other.”

Tidbits: Self told the golfers that the popular Legends of the Phog game likely would be contested in Allen Fieldhouse “every three or four years. I don’t think you can do it every year. It would lose its sting.” ... Self said this year would be KU’s 115th year of basketball, with former players coming back to town to be honored as they are every five years. “As cool as the Legends game is ... that’s cooler,” Self said. ... The Topeka Jayhawk Club golfers had a moment of silence for Topeka native Charlie Hoag, a four-sport standout for KU who died March 8. Hoag’s son, Chuck, was in attendance.

Comments

ukanjhox 8 years, 7 months ago

"I'm going to kill everybody." Hey, T-Rob, I get what you're saying. But, you could choose some better words.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 7 months ago

I think he's just trying to show how competitive he plans to be.

SaltLakeHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Jeff Kilgore 8 years, 7 months ago

Somehow, I've missed your avatar and it's about as funny as these pictures I saw on reddit of Los Celtics:

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

He's just a frightening beast. The kind of fearless monster Roy Williams' teams never had. We weren't pretty or graceful in March but we intimidated everyone and T-Rob was the reason. It's the reason Self chose him over more heralded Ogden. It's the reason teams will fight to pick him at number 2.

Scott Alden 8 years, 7 months ago

met·a·phor/ˈmetəˌfôr/ Noun:

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, esp. something abstract.

Scott MacWilliams 8 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he meant to say he's going to 'thrill everybody'... Works for me.

Frankly, I don't see how it's going to help him putting these words out there when he steps on the pro court. Some of those BIG dudes might beg to differ. Just put up the numbers, T-Rob, and let the rest go.

Rock Chalk, always a Hawk!!

UmbertoConforti 8 years, 7 months ago

He got shut down when he was double or triple teamed. Until the opposing coaches designed defenses to stop him he was the number one player in the NCAA. I didn't see many Kentucky games, but Davis never did get double teamed in the games I watched. They had too many weapons to double up on any single player.

I think T-Rob is probably 6' 61/2" to 6' 7" in socks with an honest tape measure. Standing by other KU players in a huddle he looked about that size. Only Jeff Withey looked what the programs said his height was and that may have been about an inch too much. I hope Jeff can do next year what he did this past year without T-Rob there to draw most attention. He seems to have the ability and determination. I was trying to think when KU last had a 7 footer as good as he. I think he may be better than Ostertag who was no slouch. Would you believe Chamberlain? probably not.

T-Rob should be a good power forward in the NBA. His strength and confidence, as well girth, should compensate for being a little shorter than opponents. Hopefully he will be another Charles Barkley with a less flashy demeanor.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Hehehe, Bill Self is wearing Ray Bands sunglasses and has a beard during the offseason.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

I believe RayBan is the brand name of the shades. Hey, he's a cool guy! I hope he shaves the beard but leaves a soul patch when the seasons starts.

april28 8 years, 7 months ago

T-Rob is positioning himself as an every night warrior - something all GM's and coaches like. He's subtly, or not so subtly, pointing out that his stats - including the NC game - were consistently strong against all types of teams, players and junk defenses. As in the national championship game, he's showing that he won't back down, just because people like Soren Petro on the radio, underestimate his value and ability.

Finally, he's letting everyone know that Davis, as long and talented as he is, is still a freshman, with a freshman body.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

The Bird/Magic hype was formed after playing against each other for years. TRob and Davis are only linked because of the POY ranking race and the NCAA Tournament final game. I'd rather see TRob develop a rivalry with somebody like Durant or Griffin. But, the rivalry between Bird/Magic was largely because of the Celtics/Lakers series history and that they were their team's leaders. A one on one rivalry based on something from college would be viewed as unprofessional for NBA players. They move on quickly.

april28 8 years, 7 months ago

The Bird/Magic rivalry was formed in the national championship game and then carried on into the pros.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

april28 is absolutely correct. The Bird/Magic rivalry started at the college level.

hawksince51 8 years, 7 months ago

The NBA draft seems to have a bias against upperclassen in favor of OAD's so I do not know if T-Rob will be drafted as high as he deserves. However, I believe he will be an impact player in the NBA very early in his career. But, like many of you I would recommend that he prove himself on the court before he has T-shirts printed. Many of our good, big players have been humbled by the NBA in recent years. It is a very tough place to play especially around the basket.

WilburNether 8 years, 7 months ago

I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’”

Actually, numbers can and do lie -- when the numbers themselves are lies. That is usually the case with the listed height of college and NBA basketball players, and the times in the 40 of college and NFL football players.

Lies, all lies.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Numbers do not lie. Now the people who right the numbers do lie.

WilburNether 8 years, 7 months ago

So a number that is a lie is not? Huh?

Back to school for you, in both logic and spelling ("people who right [sic] the numbers").

bad_dog 8 years, 7 months ago

Actually Wilbur, Hawk90's point is valid. When was the last time a number lied to you? The person providing the measurement may have misrepresented the time, height, weight, etc. of a given metric, but the number itself did not lie. The person or entity providing the numbers are the accountable parties. Accurate or not, a number is what it is; merely a quantitative representation without the capacity to misrepresent itself.

I trust that's both logical enough and properly spelled for you.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

Would his height fall into the camp of numbers not lying?

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

Thomas is highly unlikely to get selected over Davis in the upcoming draft. However, I think he's kind of smart to be so proactive about talking his own game up and lobbying for why he deserves the #1 pick. If he can convince some GMs that he's one of those relentless, hyper-competitive freaks who succeed simply by will, a few of them may second-guess themselves, at least for a bit. Again, I doubt it will get anyone to pull the trigger, but it still helps him standout as a better choice than someone like Kidd-Gilchrist.

I don't think we need to worry about current NBA players bristling at his comments, because it sounds like he's bringing it up in the context of comparing himself to other players in the draft, not playing in the NBA. If he keeps talking like this after he gets signed and starts camp, etc., then he might create some problems.

Some of this also might come from Robinson still feeling somewhat underrated after none of the POY awards picked him. After all, he did get the only unanimous AA 1st Team vote; that's sort of a de facto POY award. He arguably had a better season than Anthony Davis, and the stats do back it up. Especially when you consider the points others have raised about TRob playing as the primary defensive focus of EVERY opponent, whereas Davis was rarely (never?) doubled--let alone tripled--and generated the majority of scoring by receiving passes after penetration or good ball movement.

Whatever it is, I don't think his talking will really have any negative effect, as long as he doesn't make it personal. I just want to see him in a good situation, so even though being #2 overall would be better for him monetarily, I don't know if being drafted by the Bobcats and Michael Jordan is the best omen for your career. I think the Wizards or the Cavs would be good spots, because they both have young, talented point guards who would be a perfect inside-out match for Robinson's bull-in-a-china-shop style.

april28 8 years, 7 months ago

KC Radio experts had Robinson going in the 15th pick range. It's shocking that even the locals don't get it.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Anyone who has him going any lower than 5th is an absolute utter moron and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone, let alone be commenting on the NBA draft.

And that is not homerism. If someone has him going lower than 5th, that individual has absolutely no idea WTF he is talking about. That's just embarrassingly ignorant.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

I have seen a couple of pretty plausible scenarios where T-Rob could fall to Portland or Golden State at 6 or 7. And honestly, I wouldn't be all that disappointed if he fell that far either. I just don't want to see him end up with the Bobcats or Wizards because those two places are career killers.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, you're right. My rant above should have been directed at those saying he could go outside the top 10. Putting him outside the top 10 is just asinine. Personally, I think he's an absolute lock for the top 5 (I think he will go at #2, unfortunately, considering the team), but you are correct, there are scenarios in which it could be possible -- although, rather unlikely -- that he could fall a couple of spots below 5.

But outside the top 10?? That is just moronic.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 7 months ago

Is Jack Harry spouting non-sense again? Has he not learnt his lesson?

SaltLakeHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

love the enthusiasm, but I almost had to quit reading after you cited Kevin Young as a 3-point threat.

april28 8 years, 7 months ago

And Travis. Travis sank a few but he was definitely not a threat.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

I appreciate your passion and time spent on this.

My impression is that you make the mistake many folks make. You assume. Wildly. You assume that certain KU players are going to be better than they really are, better than their ranking, or more importantly, you assume that they are going to be better than we should expect them to be. (Disclaimer -- I already know rankings don't tell the whole story. But for those that have missed this before, rankings matter. Most of the time, Self pursues the highest ranked guys, then falls back to lower ranked guys when we don't land our main target. So Self does know best. And history shows that higher ranked guys provide a quicker impact and are just plain better, understanding that there are always exceptions. Just don't be under the illusion that Self wants a guy like Milton Doyle. It is a last resort to fill a scholarship. Rarely does Self take a high school sophomore commit .. he took Royce Woolridge, he's gone; he has taken Zach Peters, we'll see)

Depth is overrated. As we saw last season. What is most important is talented players. We had a very talented starting 5 that played most of the minutes.

At present, you are speculating (wildly) on talent. Adams and Doyle are perfect examples. There is absolutely no reason to think that Doyle will even see the court. Meaning we need real evidence to prove otherwise. There is none. Self hates playing freshmen to begin with, and the likelihood of an unranked, last minute, no basketball school wanted him signee actually logging meaningful minutes is beyond remote. Never seen it before. Again, until we have evidence otherwise, we shouldn't assume it.

The prospects are not as dim for Adams as his stock appeared to increase. But why should we expect him to be any better than Tharpe was last season? We should not expect anything from our first year players other than the top guys, Ellis and McLemore, with White in that mix.

A reasonable rotation expectation is this:

1. EJ
  2. McLemore
  3. Releford
  4. Ellis
  5. Withey

1. Tharpe
  2. Young
  3. White
  4. The best of Traylor/Peters/Lucas - likely Traylor.

There's your most likely 9 man rotation until we have more information.

I actually feel a bit uncomfortable projecting Ellis to start out of the gate. Could be KY. But Ellis is a top recruit and that logic makes sense .. to project him starting at the 4. But you discount Kevin Young completely, having Wesley (ugh) ahead of him. Young was a key cog on a team that made a run to the title game. And you assume Traylor, Lucas, and Peters ahead of him. Why?

The answer is that we like to dream. We like to think that Landen Lucas is a sleeper, that Self knew something we don't (ignoring that he didn't really prefer Lucas in the first place, or Traylor for that matter), that we really got a player as good as a top 50 guy. But the objective, non-Crimson and Blue colored glasses view says not so.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

(cont) Finally, you completely discount Tharpe. Your initial lineup and depth has Adams/Doyle ahead of Tharpe, and Doyle and Adams in the rotation at the end, and no Tharpe. I saw what you saw with Tharpe last season ... but it makes no sense to speculate that guys (Adams/Doyle), who were ranked at or below Tharpe, with Tharpe having a year of experience, will relegate Tharpe to obscurity.

The fact is, if Self thought Tharpe was Tyrone Appleton, Tharpe would have gone the way of Tyrone Appleton after the season. I am actually very encouraged that Tharpe will play a major role this season. Being careful with the ball is the key for him as his defense seemed to improve.

Ok, I've killed some time on a nice Saturday afternoon .. time to change the oil, cut the grass, and make sure my wife thinks I'm semi-useful.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Gut feeling that Peters will turn out to be a stud.

JHawk06 8 years, 7 months ago

I think he will be a bigger impact than most are giving him credit for, especially after a year or 2.

yates33333 8 years, 7 months ago

I doubt Releford will play more than Young. If he does it will be because of his defense which Self likes. Young was a valuable player during the playoffs. Not to take anything away from Releford, but Young was much more valuable during the entire playoff.

I think people who omit Peters from their lists of potential prime time players are making a mistake. Like Young, Peters is a ball hawk.

KU has a tremendous number of good players. I hope they can mesh.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Generally, a good call, HEM.

Young is hard to figure. He has a lot of talent in a light package seemingly playing out of position at the 4, but still making ends meet there in a very tough transition season, when he managed finally to give Self pretty much what Self wanted down the stretch and help the team to the Finals.

But how do you play power forward at 195, his new weight, game in and game out for even 20mpg?

And Kevin never completely outgrew blow-by-itis last season, either.

Kevin got a good bit of Self's toughening box last season, so Self is committed to him, but in what role?

He almost has to start at the beginning, unless Perry Ellis is pure platinum.

KY's maturity and versatility tell me he will play a lot this season.

But Self is always thinking next with player development and, as a senior, KY lacks the same long term investment value as Ellis, Peters, Traylor and Lucas.

So: if KY could sharply outperform Ellis, Peters, Traylor and Lucas, of course he would start and play 25-30 mpg.

But if KY were merely the equal of the newcomers, then he almost certainly would come off the bench and further would find himself caught in a Mario Little kind of situation, where Self is developing everyone else, and using KY mainly when his experience gives greatest advantage.

Speaking of Mario Little, does anyone know what became of Mario? Did he find somewhere in Europe to play?

Regarding Naadir, Doyle and Adams, Naadir is a tough read.

Your reasoning is sound, assuming Doyle and Adams turn out to be equal, or lesser talents.

I think we agree on Doyle. Doyle appears a one year trial project, someone Self is taking a flyer on, because 6-4 PGs coming out of cities like Chicago, even lesser ranked ones, are rare and offer significant MUA if they develop. Doyle is this year's long shot.

Adams is less clear to me. Sight unseen, as you condition your assessment, I agree. He'll be a year behind and so he will play behind Naadir, if at all.

But I get the impression that Adams has some academic issues that have kept him off the radar, plus, unless one is a model player in the PNW, one tends to be overlooked out there.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Part 2

When I lived out there, I saw many good high school players that would have been much bigger names had they been in LA, or Chicago, DC, or NYC, or Dallas. What seems to happen out there is this: if for whatever reason you are not a darling of the local schools (UW, Gonzaga, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State), then the local media there turns off the spot light. The local media there definitely does not like Kurtis Townsend. One writer out there really gave Kurtis a black eye some years back, saying he was basically corrupt and in the business of hustling guys to crooks like the guy Townsend assisted for at Cal, then for Fisher at UMichigan. That reporter really appeared to have it in for Townsend. He never went after Self and KU directly, but he smeared KU's ethics indirectly by running the smear talk, while Townsend was at KU.

Further, I got the impression that the reporter ran this sort of stuff as part of a larger policy of trying to protect the home turf of the PNW against what the PNWers view as carpetbagger recruiting of the PNW. They have a long history of losing many of their best players in most sports to California schools and resenting that mightily. They really resented losing both Kevin Love and Kyle Singler to UCLA and Duke boom boom. They now view Duke, KU, UK, etc. stripping their talent as an outrage, too.

And in the PNW, I suspect these enormously influential and rich high tech and shoe donors at the PNW schools, carry enormous clout with the local media. I am talking about guys like Phil Knight at Nike and Bill and Paul at MSFT and lots of less well known gazillionaires. I wonder sometimes if these fellows have created a media climate with an enormously parochial agenda and that it extends to sports. So many of these gazillionaires up their are huge sports fans and fiscally involved with pro and college sports in a big way. I wonder if they have not created a climate up their that tends to shut the light off on local kids that are not going to stay home.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Adams has perhaps had the spotlight on him turned off for a constellation of reasons. He's not a model player. He's in the PNW. Adams is connected to a guy who sent his twin sons south to California, and then transferred one of them to KU, something the PNWers tend to resent. Adams seems to be being recruited by Kurtis Townsend, who has not been popular in the PNW for some time. And Adams has made clear for quite a long time that he wants to come to KU.

All of the above seems a recipe for being "underrated" to me.

But there is another dimension to whether Naadir will play much this season unrelated to how good, or bad, or underrated Doyle and Adams may be.

The dimension is the school and high school coach that Naadir came from.

Before I go into that, though, I want to make a couple remarks about Naadir.

Naadir came from a school that produces quite a bit of basket ball talent. Naadir appeared to be signed in a difficult recruiting season for Self, when Self was settling for lesser bodies late, and Naadir seemed to be signed in part to land both Naadir and another supposedly better player on Naadir's team. KU never got that other player. So: Naadir came to KU as a middle ranked prospect. Self was very upbeat about Naadir, saying he had had great coaching, was a great ball handling PG, and was a sleeper that would impact his first season.

Naadir proved to be a very savvy ball handler that could not adapt to a D1 speed--first on defense, and then increasingly on offense, when opposing coaches had video of his offensive tendencies. Though Self kept trying Naadir all season long, because of serious lack of depth, Naadir never really could perform at even moderate level of proficiency.

All of the above suggests Naadir can fit in one of two categories this season:

Type A--one more freshman guard, in a string of many including RR and EJ, that took awhile to develop; or

Type B--a lesser ranked project guard that isn't ever going to be a starter, but will become a 20 mpg over 4 years; or

Type C--a lesser ranked project that did not pan out.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Part 4

Could Naadir be a Type A? Not likely. RR and EJ were highly ranked high schoolers.

Could Naadir be a Type B? Maybe. But we don't have a past PG for a precedent that I can think of, except perhaps for Jeff what was his name. I suppose Brady and Tyrel fit into this category as combos. Could Naadir develop at PG as Brady and Tyrel did on the wings? This seems a distinct possibility, but Naadir is much shorter than both Brady and Tyrel were, o more than an equal or lesser leaper than Brady and Tyrel, and out of the box nowhere near the trey shooters Brady and Tyrel were.

So: while Naadir could be a Type C, he has some deficiencies that cast some doubt.

You rightly point out that if Naadir were a Type C, then Naadir would likely have already gotten the Tyrone Appleton treatment; i.e., gotten run to make room for someone else.

But there is one possible reason why Naadir, as a Type C might not get run: Naadir comes from a high school coach and school that Self would not wish to burn a recruiting bridge at. Appleton and Lindsey, too, came from circumstances Self did not need to leave the door open to. But maybe Self needs to keep this bridge to Naadir's school and coach open.

So: I conclude there is insufficient data on Naadir to draw a conclusion one way or the other presently. If Naadir can learn a longer, quicker drop step and slide on defense, if Naadir can learn to turn and burn when beaten on defense, then Naadir could be a very good, albeit short, D1 PG. But can he with those short legs? The answer seems up to he and Hudy this off season. We'll just have to wait and see.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe nobody's mentioning another major component of this article that probably deserves its own article.

"Self’s Assists Foundation is ready to make a sizable donation toward a proposed recreation complex in northwest Lawrence. KU tentatively plans to build an outdoor track and soccer complex at the site as well."

This sounds like we're getting pretty close to being able to realistically discuss renovations to Memorial Stadium, most notably being tearing out the track.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

NW Lawrence, not west campus. I think this is just a community thing and has nothing to do with KU's track. Would love to see us rip out the track due to the fact that we built a track where the football team used to practice.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

That second sentence is giving the impression that KU may seriously be considering putting the Olympic Village off campus because that would be much cheaper. There's plenty of undeveloped land out by 6th and K10 which is where I'm guessing this complex will end up being built.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Every generation some exceptional player comes along, who runs his mouth and then backs it up.

Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali was my favorite in this regard.

"I am the greatest."

But the world is littered with many more mouths that never quite measure up to their rhetoric.

AI.

Neon Deon.

They are great athletes. They do some great things, but they cannot finally cut a trail to the mountain top of all time greatness that makes one say, "Yep, he said he was and he was."

Thomas has now spit out some pretty big words for starting out in the NBA.

The spin will be that everyone in the L knows this is all managed spin to get the big contract.

The spin will be that after the show talk, then Thomas will be just another professional showing up for work and there will be no tests.

The truth will be that there will be many times this season, when professional basketball players will see an opportunity to squeeze out another season of pay checks by taking the rookie down.

The truth will be that the bulls of the L will be territorial and and if Thomas comes in to take rebounds from them, they are going to get territorial and he is going to discover how men play the game at the highest level. And it won't be pretty.

No boys allowed.

Superman has spoken.

Now it is time to

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

With T-Robs strength, althleticism and attitude, along with never again being the focus of the other team's defense, he will be a beast in the L.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Hope so.

Could be.

But beasting in the NBA is a tall order for everyone in the NBA. :-)

Only a few athletic freaks can do it.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"Organic Burnt Ends"

~Thomas is 6-8 3/4s in shoes, but 6-9 to 6-10 at KU. What goes? Is there an English system of measure, a metric system of measure and an Okie Baller System of Measure?

~The pic of Bill above suggests that he may have been to "The Beard Club for Men."

~Tyshawn the fourth, or fifth, PG taken, and might rise a bit? I would take Tyshawn first. Next.

~Proposed recreation complex in North Lawrence tied to a KU sports complex? Great way of piggy backing on the infrastructure cost. State and local extend it for the KU complex, and Self's complex stems in. How about a private management contract to run both? Now that's real estate development!

~Self has to be grinning like a cheshire cat about this incoming class. It may not be heralded, and there may be some flyers like Doyle, and nepotists, but this is a class that Self will likely develop into something better than the more short-lived, more heralded recruiting classes. Put another way, if this is an off year of recruiting for Self, then Self's off recruiting years are better than most other coaches' bumper crops.

~The best thing that could happen for KU would be for OKC to win the ring. Then there will be less temptation to try to hire Self to get them the brass ring.

~Legends of the Phog ought simply to be scheduled for whenever there is an NBA lock out. That was part of the magic of it. It should remain a Brigadoon kind of thing out there in the mists which no one can control.

~Someone sneak around and find out what the status is of EJ's knee and Travis' trey shot. Gots to know.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn has Ronoesque potential. If he lands on the right team and they figure out how to channel his abilities, his future in the L is very bright.

Lance Cheney 8 years, 7 months ago

I've always thought the same thing about Tyshawn, comparing him to Rondo.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn has Rondo-esque potential. If he lands on the right team and they figure out how to channel his abilities, his future in the L is very bright.

Jeeveshawk 8 years, 7 months ago

They should have posted a picture of Thomas, for an article about Thomas.

Huskerhawk86 8 years, 7 months ago

T-Rob's going to have trouble getting that giant swollen head through doors. He has no idea what he s in for. There were college players that stopped him cold. Very poor rep for KU.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 7 months ago

Pray tell what college players stopped TRob cold? Didn't he lead the nation in double-doubles? Aren't his stats much better than Davis?

apastyboyproduction 8 years, 7 months ago

Watching T-Rob struggle with putting the bunnies in the basket over the last 1/4 of the season, including the tourney run, I questioned whether or not he was "giving all he had, every game." He certainly didn't appear to be mentally into every game, and this is to be expected, being that he likely had a few other things on his mind besides hoops, for most of the past 18 months in his young life. #2 draft pick or not, he's got a lot to prove (to me at least) once he hits the big leagues in the fall. There is a fine line between, say, a Danny Manning and a Josh Selby/Xavier Henry. Choose wisely to which you will aspire to become. If he continues to let his ego get in the way of the development of his game in the pros, he's going to get mopped up by much better players, night in and night out...Good luck to you T, you're going to need it...