Friday, June 8, 2012

Bill Self defends CU series

KU coach: ‘We have a great relationship with Colorado’

The Coors Events Center, home of the Colorado Buffaloes.

The Coors Events Center, home of the Colorado Buffaloes.

Some Missouri fans, radio talk show callers and Internet message board posters were grumbling last week when it was revealed that Kansas University and Colorado would begin a home-and-home men’s basketball series next season.

KU coach Bill Self, who was on vacation when the furor hit, was asked by the Journal-World about playing former Big 12 member Colorado of the Pac-12 while having no plans to schedule former Big 12 member MU of the SEC.

“We have a great relationship with Colorado, plus we have 4,000 to 5,000 fans in Western Kansas. That’s an opportunity to see us play whenever we play in Boulder,” Self said of fans who likely will find tickets to the game during the 2013-14 season at Coors Events Center. This year’s game is in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s a great deal for us and our fans. We are playing a KU grad (CU coach Tad Boyle), who has done a remarkable job there in a short amount of time,” Self added.

As far as the nitty-gritty of the issue ...

“No one ever held Colorado responsible for them leaving the league. They did something they felt they had to do,” Self said. “There were so many rumors they could be left out in the cold, too. Everybody respected that without question. There are no hard feelings there. With the climate, the landscape at that particular time (summer, 2010), with all the talk about Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, all those schools going to the Pac-10 back then ... all the talk before that about Missouri and Nebraska going to the Big Ten ... Colorado was just making sure they had a conference affiliation. No hard feelings about that.”

Merv to New Mexico: Former KU small forward Merv Lindsay on Thursday orally committed to the University of New Mexico at the conclusion of his recruiting trip to the Albuquerque, N.M., school. Lindsay, 6-7, 195 pounds from Moreno Valley, Calif., will practice but not play in games next season and be eligible as a sophomore during the 2013-14 campaign.

He averaged 2.2 minutes a game in 12 games this past season, scoring 11 points.

“I felt really good there, very comfortable,” Lindsay said in a phone interview. “I liked everything about the place — the coaches, players. I didn’t have any complaints, none at all. It’s a family atmosphere. I’m going to use the year off to work on everything that is wrong with my game, get in the weight room and improve so I’ll be ready to contribute to the team the following season.”

Merv and his parents met with UNM coach Steve Alford at 9 a.m. Wednesday, quickly gobbling up the scholarship offer.

“He said, ‘Welcome to the family,’” Lindsay said.

Of his one season at KU, Merv said: “No regrets at all. I respect everything about Kansas. I love the school, the coaches, players and fans. I want to thank coach Self, his staff and my teammates for a great year, working with me in a family atmosphere. I’m also looking forward to playing at New Mexico. Coach is building a great program there.”

Juneau to Tulsa: Former KU player/assistant coach Danny Manning and his high school coach, Ted Juneau, have been reunited at Tulsa University. The J-W has learned that Juneau will soon be introduced as a liaison for men’s and women’s basketball players in the academic services area at TU. A Tulsa athletic department official said former Lawrence High coach Juneau currently is working in a volunteer capacity at Tulsa. No official appointment has yet been made or announced. Juneau also has coached at Topeka High and Haskell and worked as Haskell athletic director. Manning was named Tulsa basketball coach on March 29. His staff includes former KU players Steve Woodberry and Brett Ballard and former KU manager Justin Bauman.

Tickets on sale: KU basketball season tickets are now on sale for the 2012-13 season. The deadline to order and make a minimum pledge of $100 to the Williams Fund is July 20. Seat locations will be allocated at the Select-A-Seat event, which begins August 13. Season-ticket prices will remain the same for 2012-13, and all ticket packages include 20 home games – all 19 games in Allen Fieldhouse and one game in Sprint Center in Kansas City. Information is available at kuathletics.com or 800-34-HAWKS.

This, that: Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com reports that Thomas Robinson measured 6-83⁄4 with shoes with a 7-3 wingspan and 5 percent body fat at the draft combine. Official measurements are released today. ... Class of 2015 players Austin Grandstaff and Elijah Thomas stopped by KU’s campus this week on unofficial visits, Rivals.com reported. “Great visit at Kansas deffinitley one of my favorites so far #rockchalk,” Tweeted Grandstaff, a 6-4 combo guard from Rockwall (Texas) High. Thomas is a 6-8 forward from the same school. Grandstaff is son of Team Texas AAU coach Wes Grandstaff. They also were to visit Oklahoma and Missouri this week. ... KU freshman-to-be Ben McLemore reports that he weighs 197 pounds, up 12 to 15 pounds from the start of last season. He’s a 6-5 guard/forward from St. Louis.

Comments

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Shiat, this is more about all those Jayhawk fans in western godforsaken Kansas than anything else ...

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

Most of the fans going to the Boulder game live in Colorado, but there is nothing wrong with Western Kansas.

hawksince51 2 years, 6 months ago

Agree with Boulder Hawk on both scores. I live in CO and need my KU B-ball fix in Boulder even if it is only every other year. So far as Wester KS, learn to love it when you eat your bread, pasta, steak etc. and heat your home with cheap Nat Gas.
Have to add that I loved Self's positive response about CO leaving the Big 12 and let us draw our own conclusions about how he feels about MU. No way he wants to give MU a sellout game.

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I loved Self's answer. It is rhetoric as it should be practiced. Nothing he said was wrong, yet what he did not say spoke as loudly as anything he could have said.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 6 months ago

I wouldnt go that far about a Border War Matchup. It would be in KU's best interest if it were a Home/Lawrence and Away/Sprint arrangement just like CU's deal at Home/Lawrence and Away/Coors center. I like that it basically sets the price for continuing the series and until Mizwho makes that kind of offer, they can just shut up and really should be concentrating on their new life in the SEC while we focus on the new challenges WVU and TCU pose and enjoying the $19M payout we just got from the Big 12 that was boosted with their exit fee money.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 6 months ago

Ummm...Coors Events Center is CU's home court, so not understanding how that would be like playing Mizzery at Sprint Center. However, I do agree that we should never step in Columbia again.

Eric Bernauer 2 years, 6 months ago

It only takes one visit to Coors to realize CU does not have a home court advantage when Kansas visits.

oldalum 2 years, 6 months ago

The only reason MU wants to play us is 1) to try to patch up their image in the KC area; 2) to get some TV face time; 3) to make some money off of us. I say they can stick it.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 6 months ago

Calling any part of Kansas "godforsaken" bothers me. I'm a Kansan first and was born out there and my parents still live there.

It's also as much about sticking it to Mizzou and the ending for the season to do that is just weeks away.!

lv_jhwk 2 years, 6 months ago

I only hope you aren't one of those that has formed the majority of their opinion from I-70 drive throughs and perhaps one night sleepovers. Because if so, you've obviously been misled.

But hey, to each their own right?

nwk_jayhawk74 2 years, 6 months ago

It's windy sometimes but venture off of I-70 on your way to Boulder Barbie.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

I do all the time. Barbie? Another Jr. High poster.

Cmill1221 2 years, 6 months ago

After driving 70 maybe 100 time to ski throughout my life I got to say, eastern Colorado is a much worse than western Kansas.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Implicit from Bill Self. Missouri led the charge nearly breaking apart the conference two years ago instead of working together to get rid of Beebe. Missouri--ironically in the end the Big 12's weakest link for reasons only caused by themselves---led the whining committee blaming Texas for everything instead of looking for an obvious solution---fire Beebe and rewrite contracts, making the big 12 every bit as strong as the other two power conferences. Without Missouri getting everyone nervous, Nebraska doesn't leave. Missouri also left when it couldn't have been a more important time to stand strong as a conference. Translation is that Colorado got caught up in what Missouri started---and was only looking to stay in a conference period---so Kansas will gladly play Colorado. Self without saying it explains using Colorado, why once again, Kansas will not be affiliated with Missouri for quite sometime on an athletic field. The evilness of what Missouri did to the big 12 conference over the last few years cannot be understated. Their attempt to blame Texas for everything shows an institution not only leaving, but leaving with the hopes of their old conference shattering. That champions bowl must really burn them up. Another awful day to be a Tiger.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 6 months ago

I love Manning's loyalty! I just can't get over it.

It would serve Robinson well to study film of Ben Wallace, Corliss Williamsson, and Larry Johnson--three tweeners who found ways to be effective. If he is going to continue playing PF, Wallace (although less skilled offensively) would be a great role model. If circumstances dictate that Robinson switch positions, Corliss Williamson and Larry Johnson were two dominant (and undersized) college PFs who, in the NBA, spent time at SF and SG respectively.

IMO, I think Robinson falls somewhere in between Wallace and LJ. He's a better offensive player than Wallace, but not nearly the defensive presence (for now) and he may be a better defensive player than Grandmama, but not nearly as adept at putting "the rock in the hole" (for now). Oddly, Robinson may be the least explosive, of the three (Wallace, LJ, and Robinson). He's quicker, faster, and more agile, but LJ and Wallace could really take off!

Robin Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

To whom are you responding? I mean, to whom are you stupidly ranting?

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know why you are so bitter. You need to get your facts straight. Arkansas does not refuse to play Texas. They played a home and home football series a few years ago.

By the way, one of the comments in your relatively incoherent rant was "Go pucker up and Kiss Douchebag Deloss Dodds Hind end!".

One could argue that is exactly what KU has done during this era of conference realignment. We certainly hear that from the MU guys. We really have no other choice and it appears to have worked out.

gojhawx 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow! Exclamation marks to end every sentence! Love it!

kckuguy 2 years, 6 months ago

I have always doubted if you were a KU fan, you sound more like a MU antler than a Jayhawk. And what is up with a Pac 12 logo ? By the way, none of the schools you listed are going to or are getting more money from leaving. That is nothing but MU wishful thinking.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 6 months ago

MUFan is too dumb to pose as a believable KU fan. Here's a bit of advice: being too over the top as a troll will get you recognized instantly; subtlety is key. But I guess asking an MU fan to be subtle is kind of difficult, because most MU fans probably don't know what the word means.

Beate Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Just for the record; Texas refuses to play A&M much like Kansas refuses to play Mizzery and I'm sure you understand why Nebraska will not play Texas. No, I'm not a Texas fan, true blue Jayhawk, simply wanted to clarify.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

I read this moronic rant the first time and wanted to respond to all the inaccuracies and false statements. However, the more I read, the more I realized it's clearly a troll. Not a very smart one, either.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 6 months ago

If Merv Lindsay transferred for playing time why would he go to the fairly reputable team of New Mexico?

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Jeeves, I think you answered your own question with "fairly reputable." Merv ain't in Lawrence anymore. I've a feeling that after another year of development, he migh be a contributor for the Lobos.

Mike Stewart 2 years, 6 months ago

Except that it was Missouri who got it all started. The rumors of them going to the Big 10 destabilized our conference.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

Two of the team moves made sense and two didn't. It is as simple as that. While I hate that NU helped trigger all of this, and was selfish, it is hard to blame them for beating Missery to the punch and going to the rich and stable Big 10. KU would be crazy not to go there as well, if the opportunity ever presented itself. Geographically it also made sense. Besides, NU didn't feel they had the support of their North division brethren in getting the Big 12 football championship alternated between KC and Dallas. In fact, they didn't. The other North schools were happy to have basketball in KC most years which NU didn't care about. While I hate them for leaving at least the move made sense.

CU had little choice. It looked like a sure thing the Big 12 would be history, and if they didn't go to the PAC 12 they would have likely ended up in the Mountan West had the Big 12 shut down. Geographically and culturally it made sense as well.

Then you have aTm and Missery. They made crybaby moves because Mommy (the Big 12) didn't love them as much as Texas. Those moves made zero geographic or cultural sense. They moved simply to punish the Big 12 power brokers over the lack of attention they were being given. I say screw them. I would be willing to play NU in hoops, as well, but we don't need to play crybaby schools.

Robin Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

bingo.

Mizzou tried to screw the Big12 with the timing of their defection For some reason idiots have a hard time remembering that. Bad enough on its own they had been stirring the pot for years and have basically done nothing to help the league. They are just sore losers who decided to pout, quit, and then pout again after quitting.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I truly love to hear Coach Self answer questions. Especially ones regarding MU.

He is so tactful, yet always manages to get a little jab in somewhere.

I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall when he's having a beer with his buddies and hear what he really thinks about Missouri. I have a feeling it's much the same as we all feel.

I'll bet he even has a Muck Fizzou shirt in the closet.....

gojhawx 2 years, 6 months ago

I call B.S. on that last statement. He wears it under his dress shirt on game days.

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

There aren't any game days right now, so his Muck Fizzou shirt is most likely in the closet right now.

kureader 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a very good view of Coach Self and the visiting coach as Self greets them before each game in Allen Field House. Self is friendly to all the coaches. He smiles, welcomes them to KU and usually makes small talk for just a few seconds. The only time this does NOT happen is when MU comes to town. Self would shake Mike Andersen's hand, but he wouldn't smile or talk to him. In fact, he doesn't even stop walking when he shakes Andersen's hand. It's kinda funny to watch.

Dan Cook 2 years, 6 months ago

I would add Scott Drew to the "not so friendly" welcome department. In fact, I would bet he likes Mike Anderson more than Scott Drew. But since it's Frank Haith at MU, at least until the full story at Miami comes out, the comparison should probably be with Frank Haith.

doolindalton 2 years, 6 months ago

I would prefer Coach Self simply come out and say that KU has no respect for the University of Missouri, we are glad they are gone and that no one in the Kansas Athletic Department cares what is said by Missouri fans on the internet and on talk shows. That response would warrant an enthusiastic 60s-style fist in the air with a boisterous "right on."

Sam Brockert 2 years, 6 months ago

That is something MU would do. We are better than that.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

ralster:

I looked up Don Fambrough-it seems he was an old KU coach-and this is part of what he said in an interview:

I've never had a friend from MU. I don't ever plan on having a friend from MU. I don't like MU. I don't like their people. I don't like their players. I don't like a damn thing about them.

Sounds like a cool guy.

Robert Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

When I was in junior high or high school in Topeka in the early 70s, we had a phys ed instructor (he may have been a student teacher) named Ted Juneau. I wonder if it is the same guy. He would have to be at least in his mid sixties.

Robert Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

There is a tendency to overlook Colorado's leaving the Big 12. If you remember, UT was trying to pull a power move and insist that Baylor move to the Pac-12 instead of Colorado. Given the state of affairs at the time, I'm not sure Colorado had much choice when they were offered an opportunity to join the Pac-12.

If you look at alumni geographic distribution, you will see that outside of Kansas and KC Metro, the Denver area has the second largest concentration of KU alums behind, guess who is #1?

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

Houston doesn't have a huge alumni base compared to other major cities in the central third of the country. During my time at KU, I only met 3 other people from Houston that I remember. Most people I met not from Kansas or KC were from St. Louis, Chicago, Denver, or Dallas. I would imagine there's a nice little alumni base in Boston too because I met quite a few people from there too.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

From the "slightly related to this subject" and/or "complete trivial news" wire: Former CU coach Ricardo Patton has just signed on as a high school head coach at Central High in Memphis, How the mighty have fallen!

kerbyd 2 years, 6 months ago

If I remember correctly, wasn't the salary Colorado paid Patton a joke? Does anybody know if that is still the case?

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a great Ricardo Patton/Chauncey Billups story. My cousin Bill lived out in a Denver suburb 10 years ago or so and while golfing there happened to be introduced to Patton and Chauncey Billups.

Months later, Bill is at a Denver mall when Chauncey Billups walks up to him and introduces him by first and last name having met him once. Bill was stunned.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

I once heard a story that Patton was given a nice bonus, when they made the NCAA tourney, and that he was instructed by the AD to divide it up between himself and his staff as he saw fit. The jerk kept it all for himself.

If, in fact, that story is true I'm glad to see he has been knocked down a few rungs and is now a HS coach.

april28 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think anyone needs to spend much time at KU explaining the university's decisions to schools or fans from another conference.

On the Methzzou front, Pinkel was on the radio ranting about the positive impact being in the SEC has had on recruiting. Don't know if you have ever heard Pinkel do a phone/radio interview....but he sounds like a wedding singer who puts his lips on the mic when he talks.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

The more you continue to rant against MU, the more you sound like a jealous spiked lover which is what all MU fans believe. We need to move on.

jhawkart 2 years, 6 months ago

Translated....we don't hate Colorado.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if I'd go that far. Have you been to Boulder? The town and setting are great but the people there all project an 'I'm cooler than you' attitude. Perhaps in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s when the population of Colorado was about the same as Kansas', there was a cultural fit between CU and rest of Big 8. That is no longer the case.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

?

Maybe if you spent a little less time worrying about who's cooler and a little more time talking to them, you would see that they ARE very cool people, but they don't spend an ounce of time belittling others. Just because they have more interest in being outdoors and adventuring than they do sitting on @ss in front of the TV doesn't mean they are "projecting" coolness, it means they simply have more diverse interests.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

I won't say that for the frats and sororities on the CU campus. They are the worst kind of arrogant/ignorant kids I've ever been around. But that's an isolated group, and doesn't represent the town, at all.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks KG. I wanted to lay a smack down on rob4lb but that would ruin my 'cooler than thou' persona. LOL.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

The point I was trying to make is that Colorado and Boulder in particular has changed culturally the last 30 years. In 1970, Colorado and Kansas has about the same population. Today, has almost two times the population as Kansas. A lot of the new people are from the West Coast which has resulted in a diverging of the culture from the old Big 8 schools in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa. That is why the move to the Pac-12 made more sense.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

Your point was clouded by the judgmental statements made along the way.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

We'll play MU .. It's just a matter of time. The ink's just getting dry on the divorce.

The reality is that MU started the whole conference realignment garbage by openly talking about the Big 10. They got suckered by both the Big 10 and Nebraska. But MU did exactly what Colorado did .. protected itself when it appeared things were going downhill for the Big 12. The difference is that MU started it.

Regardless of all of that .. it is going to happen. It may take Jimmy Carter to broker the deal, or some other elder statesman. But it will happen.

And who won't want to watch that?

In sports, hate is good. Hate is emotion. Hate is passion. There is a lot of that. But lack of respect takes it to a completely higher level. We don't respect MU. MU is all about fantasy, fiction, and a warped belief that they actually have accomplished something. Reality is something different. Reality is suffering the worst opening round defeat in the history of the NCAA tournament -- in their greatest basketball season ever. Reality is Quinn Snyder. Reality is watching the Final Four .. every year. Reality is Chase Daniel with his finger up his nose on the sideline. Reality is Stipo shooting himself in the foot. Reality is Tyus Edney. Reality is the 5th down. Reality is the flea-kicker. Reality is storming the field a bit prematurely. Reality is Doug Smith being your greatest player ever. Reality is reality .. unless you are an MU fan. But they drive right down "Champions Drive" to the Paige Sports arena just nodding their heads, saying "damn right, we are champions" .. believing their own fiction.

KU, better than anyone, brings that group back to reality. If only for a moment. It provides them a glimpse of what they wish they were, but what they never will be.

They hate us. But deep down, they respect us. We don't really hate them. We feel sorry for them. We do despise them. But we pity them more than anything. We feel that at each opportunity, we should put them out of their misery. That is the opportunity lost by not playing them. See, because on the rare occasion when we do lose, it does have benefit. It increases their hope, it raises their expectations .. only to have provide for an even greater disappointment. This past basketball season was a wonderful example. I said after our defeat at MU that there was a silver lining. We raised their hopes higher, so the fall would be much more dramatic and painful. It was MU's destiny.

Man, it is good to be a Jayhawk.

Part of that is kicking MU's a**. It is our destiny.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

The more KU rants against MU, the more we reinforce this image that MU fans constantly state of being spurned jealous lovers bitter over the divorce. We are the loyal spouse whose partner left us for a wealthy, sexier lover. Why continue to reinforce this? It is a divorce. Let's move on.

FELONY 2 years, 6 months ago

Who is we? Why do you keep posting these "Let's move on" posts? First you post that one could hear from MU fans that KU kisses DeLoss Dodds hind end "We really have no other choice and it appears to have worked out", maybe kissing behind works for you.

Now these other posts about reinforcing an image that MU fans have. Do you really care about MU?

Get your message across in one post and move on.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

You analogy is bogus. The relationship of KU and MU never resembled anything on the spouse level. That analogy implies that at some point in time love was involved and with KU/MU that has never been the case. Being as their are also other "spouses in the conference" it a polygamous relationship at best. As for ranting against MU , I think since the ink on their SEC union is not even dry ranting will naturally occur for quite some time and as far as I am concerned I will rant against them as long as I damn well please. Even if it hurts my "cooler than thou" attitude.

Robert Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

You really do fit the Boulder stereotype.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

Not sure what that means but if believing stereotypes helps you deal with a complicated world than so be it.

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

There is one other difference between MU's and CU's departures from the Big 12.

Colorado was the first to leave, and did so when the future of the Big 12 was very much in doubt.

Missouri was the last to leave, and did so when the Big 12 looked as stable as it had for two years. They decided that it was time to court the SEC after things had calmed down, getting them started right back up. In classic Missouri fashion, they suddenly felt like they weren't getting enough attention by working (supposedly) to keep the Big 12 intact, so once it looked like everything was going to blow over with A&M getting replaced by TCU, Missouri thought to itself, "Hey, what about our time in the sun!?!? After all, we are champions! Conferences should want to fight over having our membership."

Heck, they may have even thought that they would court the SEC and the Big 12 would come pleading with the Tigers to stay because of how valuable they were. They may have planned on staying the entire time, only to have their hand forced when the Big 12 gave the diplomatic equivalent of "go f*** yourselves". Such are the depths of Missouri Tiger delusion.

As far as rob4lb's post about our comments on MU giving credence to the Tigers' narrative that KU is acting like a spurned lover... I suppose KU fans' actions are different than the clamoring of MU fans who seem to be basically saying "What? Why is KU playing CU and not US?!? Not fair!!!!!" Sounds fairly "spurned" to me. The difference is that KU doesn't love MU. And MU, in spite of what it wants to believe, loves the benefits it gets from playing KU, even if it doesn't love KU itself.

prrkc 2 years, 6 months ago

When things 'calmed down'? Seemed to me it was right after OU and David Boren openly courted the Pac 12- again. I think that's what 'started things up'. The other catch was that UT was not willing to sign the 13 year grant of rights, instead of a 6 year grant.

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

Freakin hilarious. Nobody respects a school that goes winless in conference. Nobody respects a school that competes in only one sport. We own you in everything but basketball which is why MU has won 8 out 10 Border Showdowns. Face it you are not going to play us because you know we can beat you. I mean really does anybody care about KU and CU playing basketball? NO

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

So if no one respects a school that competes in one sport, how do they feel about a school that competes in no sports, but has a fanbase that talks trash as if their athletic department is on par with Stanford or Texas or UCLA?

Kansas may be known as a "one trick pony", so to speak, but they are one of the most dominant one trick ponies in the history of college basketball.

Misery, on the other hand, is known as a "no trick pony".

By the way, football also-ran Kansas and football powerhouse Missouri have a record against each other that is nearly .500, and the "one trick pony" has the only BCS bowl between the two of them. Just some things to keep in mind.

WilburNether 2 years, 6 months ago

"...Thomas Robinson measured 6-83⁄4 with shoes..."

So much for the liars who said he's 6-10.

Why do college and NBA teams feel compelled to lie about players' height?

Why to college and NFL football teams feel compelled to lie about players' times in the 40?

Larry Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

He is listed on the KU roster at 6-9. So, they rounded up 1/4 inch. Who are these liars you speak of?

DanR 2 years, 6 months ago

Seriously? The newspaper's website at which you are posting, for starters. (Shouldn't take you too long to find about 50 occasions of 6' 10" Thomas Robinson.)

I'm surprised he's over 6' 7"

Not that it matters. Charles Barkley was probably only about 5' 10" in reality.

WilburNether 2 years, 6 months ago

What part of "in shoes" is it that you don't understand? "In shoes" height is not a person's true height.

KU_Phogified 2 years, 6 months ago

Kansas basketball will schedule whomever and wherever they please; period.

Sorry Moo, but your source for validation won't p*ss on you if you are on fire, and we shall most definitely NOT be your friend with benefits.

CU --> good deal. Great for our fans, great for a KU alum. Nothing to dislike there.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 6 months ago

How stupid would KU look if we agreed to play Missouri next year? Playing Colorado instead makes more sense as a bone for Western Kansas fans (who contribute to KU) and while Mark Randall came to us from the Denver area, I can't think of a player we've recruited from Columbia.

It makes a lot of sense. About every decision Self makes does.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 6 months ago

I can't think of one either, but McLemore and Jo Jo White are from St. Louis and Ryan Robertson was from the St. Charles area. Not from Columbia, but close.

trueblue68 2 years, 6 months ago

I do not think it looks good for KU to all of a sudden start playing recent Defectors, when we made such a "big deal", about not playing MU ever again.

It does seem like maybe the KU Administrators & Coaches are talking out of the "side of their mouths". It does put "egg on our faces".

As in Politics, One can SPIN IT, anyway to One's benefit, & in this case the decision to play CU immediately makes a lot of sense.

To add more SPIN, I agree with most of the comments that MU is the reason that the Big 12 started to fall apart in 2010 with their Governor & AD stating they were a lock to being invited to join the Big 10.

MU's excuse for leaving was, of course, to blame UT. I believe MU started looking for "greener pastures", when KU got picked over them for a BCS Bowl after the 2007 Football season.

MU after being jilted by the Big 10, instead of being loyal to the Big 12, despite their PLEDGING TO BE LOYAL, felt like they had to SAVE FACE by finding a new lover to court & accept them--thus the SEC .

I know a lot of the other Big 12 Schools, Administrative Personnel, Coaches, ADs, etc. were very upset with MU's President while serving as Head of the Big 12 Board of Directors, was all the time looking to "bail out" during the past year or so. I would say that was somewhat deceptive on his part.

I agree & do believe that eventually KU will play MU again, but it will never be the same. Intense Rivalrys, very seldom exist unless teams are in the same conference. A good example is that the UT/Arkansas rivalry has not been the same since Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC.

Having a "cooling off" period is probably a good thing.

I don't think WVU & Pitt rivalry will be the same from now on, since they are both in.different conferences.

Look at MU & Illinois, Border States like we are, but other than playing for so called "bragging rights", they are not intense rivals.

Iowa & Iowa State, CU & Colorado State even being from the same States are not Intense rivals, because they are not in the same Conferences.

Yes, there are exceptions, like UK & Louisville, but they never were in the same conference..

Of course, a few years later it worked out a lot better for Coach Self, by KU selecting him.

So in conclusion, things happen for a reason, & usually everyone is better off than before, so now it appears that those who remained loyal to the Big 12, are far better off than those who left. .

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

Clemson and South Carolina were ACC rivals for many years and that rivalry is as intense as ever despite it no longer being a conference game. Same with Georgia and Georgia Tech.

trueblue68 2 years, 6 months ago

Agree, however, I did say there were exceptions.

I do think that KU & MU will play again in both FB & BB, but I just don't think the game(s) will ever have the same luster/interest as they did when they were in the same Conference.

Exceptions would be if they met in the Post Season(s).

oldalum 2 years, 6 months ago

"This has not been stated, but I just wonder if Bill Self being the competitor he is, is still miffed, that MU AD Mike Alden selected Quinn Snyder over him as the MU Coach a few years ago?????"

I hope you aren't being serious here. Self would never have applied at MU if the position at KU had been open. If he thinks about it at all, I'm sure he says "Thank God I didn't get that job!" I'm sure he has neither regret nor "miff", just relief--and he may chuckle a little to think he ever considered it in the first place.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Top Ten Complaints of KU Posters:

10] Anything bennybob posts 9] Anything ahperse posts 8] Turner Gill [still] 7] No Capitalization freedom 6] Lew 5] Content of Jaybate's posts 4] Fellow posters spelling, punctuation or grammatical structure 3] Length of Jaybates posts 2] Kansas University vs University of Kansas

...and the Number One complaint of Jayhawk posters is.......

Anything related to the State of Missouri!!!!

Please feel free to add to this most important list for future generations!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

If you had pluralized List, it would have been more effective...ooops, #4 on me!!!

Robin Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

gotta include the bit about how Former and Ex-Jayhawks are actually Jayhawks For Life and therefore should not be called Former or Ex, even though they aren't currently on the Jayhawk roster and there really is no other concise alternative.

also, don't forget complaints about Keegan's writing.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice. I don't hear much about Lew anymore, but you could add "Anything Keagan posts". I feel bad for the guy.

Do you really think Jaybate deserves two entries?

You also have the kool-aid drinkers who think KU can go no wrong , that Charlie Weis is going to win a national championship, and dinigrate anyone who may question decisions made by anyone in the athletic department.

I do find the constant ranting against MU to be very tiresome. They made their decision. So, it's time to move on.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

10 (b) Get the track out of Memorial Stadium

kureader 2 years, 6 months ago

Oakville, except for leaving out "most of Keegan's articles" and "track around the football field" ... you did a great job listing (valid) complaints!

Perhaps we can formally agree to the list and just refer to them by number from now on?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe I should have made it the top TWENTY!!??

FELONY 2 years, 6 months ago

You forgot to list rob4lb's "move on" posts. Apparently he can't get his point across even after 4 or 5 posts on this thread.

ejlumus 2 years, 6 months ago

Offer missery 2 year contract .... $25K ..... play @ Allen both years.

Please ..... no more missery comments on anything.

End of story.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I think Mizzou people are stupid. I don't think they're that stupid though. What a terrible offer! What incentive would they have to take KU up on that?

dhinkansas 2 years, 6 months ago

They are probably playing CU as a favor to Boyle since he's a former KU guy...coaches do that all the time. People don't hate CU as much for leaving as the other schools because I think they had been looking to leave for years. It all started with Mizzou thinking the Big Ten was going to invite them to prom, and they didn't. Ha! Not really sure why the SEC took them other than they needed a 14th team after adding A&M.

dgless21 2 years, 6 months ago

He doesn't even mention the 7000 or so alumni in the Denver area that could enjoy the game at CU. There's also another 1300 or so in Colorado Springs.

I can imagine at least a small handful of those people will make the trip to Boulder. I know I will.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

"Holy Hawks Smoke and Gift Shop?" Classic!

prrkc 2 years, 6 months ago

who is 'whining to you'? lots of whining going on, the other way, though.

FLJHK 2 years, 6 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I'll miss about athletic competition with Mizzou is HEM's hilarious rants. I can live with that.

KU, MU and NU had been soul mates for more than a century. They have been tied together academically, culturally and geographically as much as any universities in the country. It had been so to the same or even greater degree as any of the Big 10, Pac, or SEC rivalries, similar to that of UT and A&M, and much more so than even KU and K-State. None should have acted independently at the prospective expense of any of the others. In my view they have both made their new beds on their own, and now must sleep in them. I'm very pleased that the Big 12 appears to have weathered the storm, and now appears to be at the cusp of establishing a new paradigm for college athletics. But the disloyalty of MU and NU should never be forgotten.

Certainly, the magnitude of the underhanded efforts of MU, given that they did so twice under greatly differing circumstances, substantially exceed those of NU. But as far as I’m concerned, further voluntary athletic competition with either of them should be off the table. For NU, that should remain so for a good long time. For MU, it should be forever. The aspects of the prior rivalry with MU that made it fun no longer exist. In my view, neither does Mizzou.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Nebraska wouldn't have left if it wasn't for Mizzou getting this whole thing going. Texas was never the problem, Missouri just wanted everybody to believe that because they had less power in football, less of a voice, less money, than Texas. The problem was Beebe and a need for new contracts. A conference is only as strong as it's weakest link.

The weakest link ended up being Missouri. Nebraska fell prey to the same concerns Colorado did, a pyschology of nervousness and threats started by Missouri. Instead of looking for a better leader, Missouri stirred up the nervousness in the Big 12. How ironic that the SEC has them now!

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

Nebraska's biggest problem was with Texas, but it wasn't a big enough issue to make them leave if Missouri hadn't started talking first.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

I wish it was a stronger program we were scheduling; but if we want to throw them a life preserver, I guess I'm fine with it.

kureader 2 years, 6 months ago

Colorado had 24 wins last year. They won the Pac 12 Post Season Tournament and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. So, we shouldn't play USC or UCLA either? There are other preconference games against "not so good" programs, but Colorado isn't one of them.

I think it's great that we play in an area where we have so many alumni. This game is a big deal to KU fans, not just in Western Kansas, but throughout Colorado. They flock to this game and make more noise than the Colorado fans. It could almost be called "Allen Field House - West"! It was probably an easy decision for Self ... he gave a perfectly reasonable answer.

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

A voice of reason. Unfortunately they are in short supply at KU.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Ten Reasons Why Missouri Belongs in the SEC

1] Racial discrimination is alive and it thrives in Boone County. 2] Missouri will convince the SEC that Meth should be the drug of choice over pot. 3] The State of Missouri tried to secede from the Union but didn't know which way was South. 4] If you've ever been to Columbia, there's a sofa on every front porch...it's like driving through Alabama. 5] Missouri believes they are a football powerhouse....after the first season they'll realize they are a football outhouse!! 6] Have failed to realize that every SEC team on their schedule has already penciled in a "W" for themselves for the week they play MU!! 7] Thought that the nickname Tigers was an automatic requirement of admission. 8] Missouri got real tired of playing Bill Self. 9] ..... aaahhhh, I am bored...you guys finish the rest

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Do you honestly believe racism is dead in the South?? Golly, I hope you're right but I'm pretty sure you're not.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Another trick that went under the radar the Missouri AD was trying to pull. He was trying to gain sympathy for MU that KU didn't want to play them. Gee I wonder why, it's not like MU almost singlehandedly blew up the big 12.

Anyway Alden ferociously tried to keep the commentary going. What he didn't say was the hope he had that MU in basketball would have---if KU played MU--had the overall #1 SOS in the country from now on. Alden was hoping for UK twice a year via the SEC and KU at least once for a total of 3 ultra matchups a year, bare minimum for the meth squad. The funny thing is, not only does he not get KU---but on top of that thanks to the revisions by the SEC scheduling committee---the meth squad only gets UK once. Nice job Alden!

Yet another bad day to be a Tiger.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps ESPN should do some research---not only what actually happened in the big 12---but also why they might consider propping up a new SEC team..

ESPN is tied strongly to the SEC with a major contract as of three years ago.

Anything ESPN can do to get the SEC strength of schedule up the better.

Mizzou most certainly should not be rewarded for their actions over the last three years. If ESPN would tell the real story that would help. From a basketball perspective Missouri went from playing one ultra team twice a year in the big 12 (4 times a year when Texas was top 5) to playing an ultra team only once a year in the SEC.

Their loss for nearly shattering the big 12 and trying to turn the entire big 12 against Texas instead of Beebe.

mikehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Embedded here is the fact MU acts like they need us more than we need them. If they were smart they would at least act like they didn't care. Time will heal. We'll play again. Not now. Too raw. Don't try to compare the Colorado situation to Missouri. They are not comparable by any stretch if you understand the dynamics. Just wait, we'll meet up eventually in the NCAA. It will be real ugly, too, with lots of intense passion. Go away Missouri. You have made your SEC bed, now go lay in it.

prrkc 2 years, 6 months ago

' If they were smart they would at least act like they didn't care.'

Yep.

bennybob 2 years, 6 months ago

"kansas' lack of stars"

how many times are people going to fall for that line?

if Withey wasn't a 5th year senior he'd be a lock for a lottery pick after next season. we've also got a mcd's all american playing in the post beside him.

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing that guy got his journalism degree from that hellhole in Columbia. Scott Drew missing those two conference games is a good thing for Baylor. I will openly admit that Baylor had the more talented team last season, but KU was far and away the better team. Brady Heslip? Are you kidding me, he went 1-5 for 3 point combined in the two regular season games with KU. KU is going to wipe the floor with Baylor next year during the regular season because they play defense unlike Baylor.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

Should we even play or just send the hardware to Waco?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

Exactly .. let's just concede now and play for 2nd.

Eric Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

Two important things here. First, this is just a home-and-home, not a permanent series like Mizzou wanted, like what they have with Illinois. Second, I absolutely think this is a huge middle finger to Mizzou, scheduling a series with a different former conference foe. I think we should schedule a home-and-home with Nebraska and Texas A&M, too, just to complete the insult.

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

The only insult is your cowardice and immaturity. KU would have done the same thing if they had an invite. The poor sportsmanship from your institution is unbelievable.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 6 months ago

Robinson...weren't we saying he was nearly 6' 10"? Why is that so hard to get right and or why lie. Plus they should always measure with shoes off for accuracy...just like we did as kids at our physicals. Otherwise it's all crap and just say he's 910"...what's the difference...

GeoHawk15 2 years, 6 months ago

Being a Colorado resident, I'm excited that I'll get to see my Jayhawks in Boulder. However, I have to admit it looks bad in the national media given our stance on playing Mizzou. We can say who cares, but that's why Coach Self has to defend the series and we have to defend/explain KU's stance to our non KU brethren.

On the same subject, I love the subtle middle finger Coach Self gave the slavers!

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Then the national media needs to be re-educated on what happened.

Are they not aware how the big 12 almost broke up?

Hint---it was not Texas' fault as much as Mizzou fans want everyone to believe it was. Hint 2---they were our weakest link.

Why reward Mizzou for what they did?

Mizzou thought theyd have the #1 SOS in basketball.

Suddenly the only power team they'll play is UK---and all of the sudden the SEC stepped in and made sure it is only once a year for Mizzou. Mizzou just lost permanently off their schedule two games against Kansas. Two games against Texas. Two games against Baylor. All traded for one---and only one game---against Kentucky.

Of course ESPN isn't liking this.

Of course ESPN is having a hernia over Mizzou. ESPN has a major contract with the SEC and all of the sudden the only good team Mizzou will play is Kentucky in basketball.

The major media outlets need to write a real piece on what happened---Mizzou most certainly should not be rewarded by any Big 12 team. Kansas is part of a strong union now. Kansas plays Mizzou--who almost broke up the big 12--- and what does that say to the other 9 members?

Yet another terrible day to be a Tiger.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

Add NU for a game at The Sprint. Add a home and Houston game with Texas AM. Those two adds will help everyone know that KC is a Kansas city and help with recruiting in Houston. Nothing for the other team that left the Big12.

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

Haha you sound like you are six years old.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you Cheat. When you reach my age anyone who tells you act or look younger is good thing. You keep coming back to kusports.com whenever you want and thank you for your continued support of Kansas athletics.

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I am a lifelong Missourian who, at one time, decades ago, supported Mizzou athletics. I was never a huge Tiger hoops fan, but did get a kick out of Norm Stewart's theatrics; then was incensed when he was dumped for the likes of Q Snyder who wrecked whatever viability Stewart had worked so hard to establish. Along the way, I married a KU grad, a died in the wool Jayhawk supporter who gradually lured my support in the right direction, esp. Jayhawk Hoops. A very comfortable and exciting conversion for a retired MO resident who now grieves at the thought of my tax dollars trickling into the coffers of a state university which has suffered the ignominy of Paige Arena and subsequent turncoat defection from conference affiliations which had existed for a century. I've no doubt that the Jayhawk/Tiger rivalry will resurrect again someday. Hopefully, KU schedulers will just hold off for at least 20 years...when I will have blazed out in glory, cheering for Jayhawk Basketball. Perhaps I will purchase or design one of those Muck Fizzou t-shirts to wear on my trip to the crematorium. In the meanwhile, I will remain ever faithful to the decree that the lowly Tigers are never again to be invited to revisit The Phog. Rock Chalk!

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

"Some Other Ways to Defend KU Playing CU"

~CU wants to rejoin the Big 12 and this builds trust.

~A college education is about a well rounded exposure to American values and CU is the nearest liberal school we can consistently beat like a stick.

~Winning at high elevation is the ultimate test in basketball.

~The states of Colorado and Kansas are thinking about merging into Kanado in order to create the perfect pinch point on energy and transportation infrastructure in the CONUS for the 21st Century in order to capitalize on the whole sale sell off and exportation of the subsurface mineral rights on the public lands to pay off the national debt to China. Playing a game each year builds trust.

~We can piggy back a ski trip off the game. Quit your complaining.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

The jaybate Outdoor Art Foundation has just issued a grant to a KU artist that has proposed to buy an old drive in movie theater near Columbia, Missouri and turn this theater in to an art work that shows 24/7 loops of footage of KU beating MU in basketball games down through the years.

ChickensCheat 2 years, 6 months ago

What an absolute hypocrite Billy is. KU could not behave more childishly if it tried. Face it you are AFRAID to play Mizzou at anything. We own you bottom feeders.

Mike Skiles 2 years, 6 months ago

Back to your cesspool wingnut. When you beat Norfolk State, lets talk further then.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes we are terrified of Mizzou. Just thinking about the beatings you have given us makes me quiver in fear.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

And, when you say 'we own you bottom feeders', how do you mean that

Overall Football Record: Methzoo leads 56-55-9 Number of BCS Bowl Victorys: Kansas leads 1-0 Overall Basketball Record: 172-95 Final Fours: Kansas leads 14-0 National Championships (BB): Kansas leads 5-0

Keep coming back Cheat, you are funny!

Steve Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

the opposite of love isnt' hate it is indifference, I used to hate Mizzwho as our conference rival, now I could give a rat's arse or is it supposed to be 'couldn't give a rat's' not sure.

drop it, who cares, let them be.

could we charge a $5. SEC toll tax on any vehicle using the Ks. Turnpike with MO plates? Or burn their barns carry away the women and children plow salt into their fields, strike their names from the marble walls and trophy cases. steal all their final four banners.

well, a little left over hate isn't all bad. saddle up jayhawkers.

jdpl 2 years, 6 months ago

Anyone who has seen several KU men's basketball games at both Boulder and Columbia know that Boulder is a heck of a lot nicer to KU fans and teams than the pussycat/bushwackers.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 6 months ago

and we will get tougher competition in Boulder (on most years)