Friday, June 8, 2012

Bill Self defends CU series

KU coach: ‘We have a great relationship with Colorado’

The Coors Events Center, home of the Colorado Buffaloes.

The Coors Events Center, home of the Colorado Buffaloes.

Some Missouri fans, radio talk show callers and Internet message board posters were grumbling last week when it was revealed that Kansas University and Colorado would begin a home-and-home men’s basketball series next season.

KU coach Bill Self, who was on vacation when the furor hit, was asked by the Journal-World about playing former Big 12 member Colorado of the Pac-12 while having no plans to schedule former Big 12 member MU of the SEC.

“We have a great relationship with Colorado, plus we have 4,000 to 5,000 fans in Western Kansas. That’s an opportunity to see us play whenever we play in Boulder,” Self said of fans who likely will find tickets to the game during the 2013-14 season at Coors Events Center. This year’s game is in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s a great deal for us and our fans. We are playing a KU grad (CU coach Tad Boyle), who has done a remarkable job there in a short amount of time,” Self added.

As far as the nitty-gritty of the issue ...

“No one ever held Colorado responsible for them leaving the league. They did something they felt they had to do,” Self said. “There were so many rumors they could be left out in the cold, too. Everybody respected that without question. There are no hard feelings there. With the climate, the landscape at that particular time (summer, 2010), with all the talk about Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, all those schools going to the Pac-10 back then ... all the talk before that about Missouri and Nebraska going to the Big Ten ... Colorado was just making sure they had a conference affiliation. No hard feelings about that.”

Merv to New Mexico: Former KU small forward Merv Lindsay on Thursday orally committed to the University of New Mexico at the conclusion of his recruiting trip to the Albuquerque, N.M., school. Lindsay, 6-7, 195 pounds from Moreno Valley, Calif., will practice but not play in games next season and be eligible as a sophomore during the 2013-14 campaign.

He averaged 2.2 minutes a game in 12 games this past season, scoring 11 points.

“I felt really good there, very comfortable,” Lindsay said in a phone interview. “I liked everything about the place — the coaches, players. I didn’t have any complaints, none at all. It’s a family atmosphere. I’m going to use the year off to work on everything that is wrong with my game, get in the weight room and improve so I’ll be ready to contribute to the team the following season.”

Merv and his parents met with UNM coach Steve Alford at 9 a.m. Wednesday, quickly gobbling up the scholarship offer.

“He said, ‘Welcome to the family,’” Lindsay said.

Of his one season at KU, Merv said: “No regrets at all. I respect everything about Kansas. I love the school, the coaches, players and fans. I want to thank coach Self, his staff and my teammates for a great year, working with me in a family atmosphere. I’m also looking forward to playing at New Mexico. Coach is building a great program there.”

Juneau to Tulsa: Former KU player/assistant coach Danny Manning and his high school coach, Ted Juneau, have been reunited at Tulsa University. The J-W has learned that Juneau will soon be introduced as a liaison for men’s and women’s basketball players in the academic services area at TU. A Tulsa athletic department official said former Lawrence High coach Juneau currently is working in a volunteer capacity at Tulsa. No official appointment has yet been made or announced. Juneau also has coached at Topeka High and Haskell and worked as Haskell athletic director. Manning was named Tulsa basketball coach on March 29. His staff includes former KU players Steve Woodberry and Brett Ballard and former KU manager Justin Bauman.

Tickets on sale: KU basketball season tickets are now on sale for the 2012-13 season. The deadline to order and make a minimum pledge of $100 to the Williams Fund is July 20. Seat locations will be allocated at the Select-A-Seat event, which begins August 13. Season-ticket prices will remain the same for 2012-13, and all ticket packages include 20 home games – all 19 games in Allen Fieldhouse and one game in Sprint Center in Kansas City. Information is available at kuathletics.com or 800-34-HAWKS.

This, that: Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com reports that Thomas Robinson measured 6-83⁄4 with shoes with a 7-3 wingspan and 5 percent body fat at the draft combine. Official measurements are released today. ... Class of 2015 players Austin Grandstaff and Elijah Thomas stopped by KU’s campus this week on unofficial visits, Rivals.com reported. “Great visit at Kansas deffinitley one of my favorites so far #rockchalk,” Tweeted Grandstaff, a 6-4 combo guard from Rockwall (Texas) High. Thomas is a 6-8 forward from the same school. Grandstaff is son of Team Texas AAU coach Wes Grandstaff. They also were to visit Oklahoma and Missouri this week. ... KU freshman-to-be Ben McLemore reports that he weighs 197 pounds, up 12 to 15 pounds from the start of last season. He’s a 6-5 guard/forward from St. Louis.

Comments

jdpl 1 year, 10 months ago

Anyone who has seen several KU men's basketball games at both Boulder and Columbia know that Boulder is a heck of a lot nicer to KU fans and teams than the pussycat/bushwackers.

Steve Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

the opposite of love isnt' hate it is indifference, I used to hate Mizzwho as our conference rival, now I could give a rat's arse or is it supposed to be 'couldn't give a rat's' not sure.

drop it, who cares, let them be.

could we charge a $5. SEC toll tax on any vehicle using the Ks. Turnpike with MO plates? Or burn their barns carry away the women and children plow salt into their fields, strike their names from the marble walls and trophy cases. steal all their final four banners.

well, a little left over hate isn't all bad. saddle up jayhawkers.

ChickensCheat 1 year, 10 months ago

What an absolute hypocrite Billy is. KU could not behave more childishly if it tried. Face it you are AFRAID to play Mizzou at anything. We own you bottom feeders.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

The jaybate Outdoor Art Foundation has just issued a grant to a KU artist that has proposed to buy an old drive in movie theater near Columbia, Missouri and turn this theater in to an art work that shows 24/7 loops of footage of KU beating MU in basketball games down through the years.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Some Other Ways to Defend KU Playing CU"

~CU wants to rejoin the Big 12 and this builds trust.

~A college education is about a well rounded exposure to American values and CU is the nearest liberal school we can consistently beat like a stick.

~Winning at high elevation is the ultimate test in basketball.

~The states of Colorado and Kansas are thinking about merging into Kanado in order to create the perfect pinch point on energy and transportation infrastructure in the CONUS for the 21st Century in order to capitalize on the whole sale sell off and exportation of the subsurface mineral rights on the public lands to pay off the national debt to China. Playing a game each year builds trust.

~We can piggy back a ski trip off the game. Quit your complaining.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I am a lifelong Missourian who, at one time, decades ago, supported Mizzou athletics. I was never a huge Tiger hoops fan, but did get a kick out of Norm Stewart's theatrics; then was incensed when he was dumped for the likes of Q Snyder who wrecked whatever viability Stewart had worked so hard to establish. Along the way, I married a KU grad, a died in the wool Jayhawk supporter who gradually lured my support in the right direction, esp. Jayhawk Hoops. A very comfortable and exciting conversion for a retired MO resident who now grieves at the thought of my tax dollars trickling into the coffers of a state university which has suffered the ignominy of Paige Arena and subsequent turncoat defection from conference affiliations which had existed for a century. I've no doubt that the Jayhawk/Tiger rivalry will resurrect again someday. Hopefully, KU schedulers will just hold off for at least 20 years...when I will have blazed out in glory, cheering for Jayhawk Basketball. Perhaps I will purchase or design one of those Muck Fizzou t-shirts to wear on my trip to the crematorium. In the meanwhile, I will remain ever faithful to the decree that the lowly Tigers are never again to be invited to revisit The Phog. Rock Chalk!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Im all for the middle finger to MizzooCreatures. This figurative way of doing it is just fine. We do have a legacy of keeping a crosshair on those cats (what-would-don-fambrough-say?). This is a wonderful way of maintaining rotational force on the knife, backed by the carefully chosen rhetoric from Bill Self. Rock Chalk JayHawk for life, baby!

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 10 months ago

Add NU for a game at The Sprint. Add a home and Houston game with Texas AM. Those two adds will help everyone know that KC is a Kansas city and help with recruiting in Houston. Nothing for the other team that left the Big12.

GeoHawk15 1 year, 10 months ago

Being a Colorado resident, I'm excited that I'll get to see my Jayhawks in Boulder. However, I have to admit it looks bad in the national media given our stance on playing Mizzou. We can say who cares, but that's why Coach Self has to defend the series and we have to defend/explain KU's stance to our non KU brethren.

On the same subject, I love the subtle middle finger Coach Self gave the slavers!

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

Robinson...weren't we saying he was nearly 6' 10"? Why is that so hard to get right and or why lie. Plus they should always measure with shoes off for accuracy...just like we did as kids at our physicals. Otherwise it's all crap and just say he's 910"...what's the difference...

Eric Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Two important things here. First, this is just a home-and-home, not a permanent series like Mizzou wanted, like what they have with Illinois. Second, I absolutely think this is a huge middle finger to Mizzou, scheduling a series with a different former conference foe. I think we should schedule a home-and-home with Nebraska and Texas A&M, too, just to complete the insult.

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Embedded here is the fact MU acts like they need us more than we need them. If they were smart they would at least act like they didn't care. Time will heal. We'll play again. Not now. Too raw. Don't try to compare the Colorado situation to Missouri. They are not comparable by any stretch if you understand the dynamics. Just wait, we'll meet up eventually in the NCAA. It will be real ugly, too, with lots of intense passion. Go away Missouri. You have made your SEC bed, now go lay in it.

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

Another trick that went under the radar the Missouri AD was trying to pull. He was trying to gain sympathy for MU that KU didn't want to play them. Gee I wonder why, it's not like MU almost singlehandedly blew up the big 12.

Anyway Alden ferociously tried to keep the commentary going. What he didn't say was the hope he had that MU in basketball would have---if KU played MU--had the overall #1 SOS in the country from now on. Alden was hoping for UK twice a year via the SEC and KU at least once for a total of 3 ultra matchups a year, bare minimum for the meth squad. The funny thing is, not only does he not get KU---but on top of that thanks to the revisions by the SEC scheduling committee---the meth squad only gets UK once. Nice job Alden!

Yet another bad day to be a Tiger.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Ten Reasons Why Missouri Belongs in the SEC

1] Racial discrimination is alive and it thrives in Boone County. 2] Missouri will convince the SEC that Meth should be the drug of choice over pot. 3] The State of Missouri tried to secede from the Union but didn't know which way was South. 4] If you've ever been to Columbia, there's a sofa on every front porch...it's like driving through Alabama. 5] Missouri believes they are a football powerhouse....after the first season they'll realize they are a football outhouse!! 6] Have failed to realize that every SEC team on their schedule has already penciled in a "W" for themselves for the week they play MU!! 7] Thought that the nickname Tigers was an automatic requirement of admission. 8] Missouri got real tired of playing Bill Self. 9] ..... aaahhhh, I am bored...you guys finish the rest

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 10 months ago

Before I say anything, let me say that I was formerly known as jhwkfan162515 and then as always_a_jayhawk. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion I ran afoul of LJW's guidelines on insulting members with whom I was having a disagreement or dropping F-bombs during the live feed of Kansas' loss at Iowa State. I have been away for several months, and I have missed everyone, but being gone has also given me time to reevaluate the way I interact on message boards and with other fans. So I want to start by saying I am sorry to those whom I needlessly offended with my comments and language. I am a diehard Kansas fan, and I bleed crimson and blue. I promise to be respectful with my comments and language and to watch myself on these boards.

Now, as to Kansas scheduling Colorado - I will, of course, listen to the game or watch it. But I don't agree with it. Colorado was never our rival. They were just another team for us to beat. Colorado turned traitor on the Big 12 and abandoned us for greener pastures, thumbing their noses at us just as Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri did. CU was every bit as classless as the other three in how they handled conference realignment. And has anyone forgotten how their fans dropped F-bombs on us as we were beating them in 2011 while we were still mourning the loss of T-Rob's mother? That is just despicable. Why are we putting money into the coffers of a school that was disloyal to the Big 12?

It is too soon to be scheduling former conference opponents. And it is inconsistent, too. If we're so adamant about not scheduling Mizzoodle because they left the league, then we shouldn't be scheduling CU either (or NU or A&M). If we ever DO revive a series with a former conference foe, it should be with Mizzoodle because they are/were our rival. CU, NU and A&M are not.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 10 months ago

I wish it was a stronger program we were scheduling; but if we want to throw them a life preserver, I guess I'm fine with it.

FLJHK 1 year, 10 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I'll miss about athletic competition with Mizzou is HEM's hilarious rants. I can live with that.

KU, MU and NU had been soul mates for more than a century. They have been tied together academically, culturally and geographically as much as any universities in the country. It had been so to the same or even greater degree as any of the Big 10, Pac, or SEC rivalries, similar to that of UT and A&M, and much more so than even KU and K-State. None should have acted independently at the prospective expense of any of the others. In my view they have both made their new beds on their own, and now must sleep in them. I'm very pleased that the Big 12 appears to have weathered the storm, and now appears to be at the cusp of establishing a new paradigm for college athletics. But the disloyalty of MU and NU should never be forgotten.

Certainly, the magnitude of the underhanded efforts of MU, given that they did so twice under greatly differing circumstances, substantially exceed those of NU. But as far as I’m concerned, further voluntary athletic competition with either of them should be off the table. For NU, that should remain so for a good long time. For MU, it should be forever. The aspects of the prior rivalry with MU that made it fun no longer exist. In my view, neither does Mizzou.

William Blake 1 year, 10 months ago

This entire issue over playing MU again is starting to taste like leftover sushi.

When even the flies refuse to lay their eggs in it... it is time to move on!

Coach Self doesn't have to defend his decisions to anyone outside of the university.

Upset MU fans have a lot of nerve whining to us. They dropped a load in their own lawn and must now suffer the consequences.

So if we decide to play CU and not MU then maybe we have a better relationship with CU. In my own books I certainly favor playing CU versus beating that old dead horse again from Columbia.

As far as making up the revenue difference... I can think of several things we can do to increase $$$ for the university. Oakville... please help me out on this list because no one does it better than you!

1. Turn the track at Memorial into a swamp track and run swamp races at our football games at half. And how about a "touchdown lap" every time we score a TD?

2. Change the city laws and fine all Boone County (Missouri) car tags $1000 per day while in Lawrence.

3. Create a "floating bar" in AFH and Memorial where alcohol can be sold (and consumed) from a boat bar in a big tank so it isn't on university ground.

4. Open up an Indian casino at Haskell. Split the profits and promote the casino through the university.

5. Bring in QVC to market our half time shows selling every kind of Jayhawk item on the big screen and purchase through a text number.

6. Declare parts of the university a church to become tax exempt. How about "Holy Hawks Smoke and Gift Shop?"

7. Hire the best patent attorneys on the planet and patent the basketball! Imagine the royalties!

dgless21 1 year, 10 months ago

He doesn't even mention the 7000 or so alumni in the Denver area that could enjoy the game at CU. There's also another 1300 or so in Colorado Springs.

I can imagine at least a small handful of those people will make the trip to Boulder. I know I will.

dhinkansas 1 year, 10 months ago

They are probably playing CU as a favor to Boyle since he's a former KU guy...coaches do that all the time. People don't hate CU as much for leaving as the other schools because I think they had been looking to leave for years. It all started with Mizzou thinking the Big Ten was going to invite them to prom, and they didn't. Ha! Not really sure why the SEC took them other than they needed a 14th team after adding A&M.

ejlumus 1 year, 10 months ago

Offer missery 2 year contract .... $25K ..... play @ Allen both years.

Please ..... no more missery comments on anything.

End of story.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Top Ten Complaints of KU Posters:

10] Anything bennybob posts 9] Anything ahperse posts 8] Turner Gill [still] 7] No Capitalization freedom 6] Lew 5] Content of Jaybate's posts 4] Fellow posters spelling, punctuation or grammatical structure 3] Length of Jaybates posts 2] Kansas University vs University of Kansas

...and the Number One complaint of Jayhawk posters is.......

Anything related to the State of Missouri!!!!

Please feel free to add to this most important list for future generations!!!

trueblue68 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not think it looks good for KU to all of a sudden start playing recent Defectors, when we made such a "big deal", about not playing MU ever again.

It does seem like maybe the KU Administrators & Coaches are talking out of the "side of their mouths". It does put "egg on our faces".

As in Politics, One can SPIN IT, anyway to One's benefit, & in this case the decision to play CU immediately makes a lot of sense.

To add more SPIN, I agree with most of the comments that MU is the reason that the Big 12 started to fall apart in 2010 with their Governor & AD stating they were a lock to being invited to join the Big 10.

MU's excuse for leaving was, of course, to blame UT. I believe MU started looking for "greener pastures", when KU got picked over them for a BCS Bowl after the 2007 Football season.

MU after being jilted by the Big 10, instead of being loyal to the Big 12, despite their PLEDGING TO BE LOYAL, felt like they had to SAVE FACE by finding a new lover to court & accept them--thus the SEC .

I know a lot of the other Big 12 Schools, Administrative Personnel, Coaches, ADs, etc. were very upset with MU's President while serving as Head of the Big 12 Board of Directors, was all the time looking to "bail out" during the past year or so. I would say that was somewhat deceptive on his part.

I agree & do believe that eventually KU will play MU again, but it will never be the same. Intense Rivalrys, very seldom exist unless teams are in the same conference. A good example is that the UT/Arkansas rivalry has not been the same since Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC.

Having a "cooling off" period is probably a good thing.

I don't think WVU & Pitt rivalry will be the same from now on, since they are both in.different conferences.

Look at MU & Illinois, Border States like we are, but other than playing for so called "bragging rights", they are not intense rivals.

Iowa & Iowa State, CU & Colorado State even being from the same States are not Intense rivals, because they are not in the same Conferences.

Yes, there are exceptions, like UK & Louisville, but they never were in the same conference..

This has not been stated, but I just wonder if Bill Self being the competitor he is, is still miffed, that MU AD Mike Alden selected Quinn Snyder over him as the MU Coach a few years ago?????

Of course, a few years later it worked out a lot better for Coach Self, by KU selecting him.

So in conclusion, things happen for a reason, & usually everyone is better off than before, so now it appears that those who remained loyal to the Big 12, are far better off than those who left. .

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 10 months ago

How stupid would KU look if we agreed to play Missouri next year? Playing Colorado instead makes more sense as a bone for Western Kansas fans (who contribute to KU) and while Mark Randall came to us from the Denver area, I can't think of a player we've recruited from Columbia.

It makes a lot of sense. About every decision Self makes does.

KU_Phogified 1 year, 10 months ago

Kansas basketball will schedule whomever and wherever they please; period.

Sorry Moo, but your source for validation won't p*ss on you if you are on fire, and we shall most definitely NOT be your friend with benefits.

CU --> good deal. Great for our fans, great for a KU alum. Nothing to dislike there.

WilburNether 1 year, 10 months ago

"...Thomas Robinson measured 6-83⁄4 with shoes..."

So much for the liars who said he's 6-10.

Why do college and NBA teams feel compelled to lie about players' height?

Why to college and NFL football teams feel compelled to lie about players' times in the 40?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

We'll play MU .. It's just a matter of time. The ink's just getting dry on the divorce.

The reality is that MU started the whole conference realignment garbage by openly talking about the Big 10. They got suckered by both the Big 10 and Nebraska. But MU did exactly what Colorado did .. protected itself when it appeared things were going downhill for the Big 12. The difference is that MU started it.

Regardless of all of that .. it is going to happen. It may take Jimmy Carter to broker the deal, or some other elder statesman. But it will happen.

And who won't want to watch that?

In sports, hate is good. Hate is emotion. Hate is passion. There is a lot of that. But lack of respect takes it to a completely higher level. We don't respect MU. MU is all about fantasy, fiction, and a warped belief that they actually have accomplished something. Reality is something different. Reality is suffering the worst opening round defeat in the history of the NCAA tournament -- in their greatest basketball season ever. Reality is Quinn Snyder. Reality is watching the Final Four .. every year. Reality is Chase Daniel with his finger up his nose on the sideline. Reality is Stipo shooting himself in the foot. Reality is Tyus Edney. Reality is the 5th down. Reality is the flea-kicker. Reality is storming the field a bit prematurely. Reality is Doug Smith being your greatest player ever. Reality is reality .. unless you are an MU fan. But they drive right down "Champions Drive" to the Paige Sports arena just nodding their heads, saying "damn right, we are champions" .. believing their own fiction.

KU, better than anyone, brings that group back to reality. If only for a moment. It provides them a glimpse of what they wish they were, but what they never will be.

They hate us. But deep down, they respect us. We don't really hate them. We feel sorry for them. We do despise them. But we pity them more than anything. We feel that at each opportunity, we should put them out of their misery. That is the opportunity lost by not playing them. See, because on the rare occasion when we do lose, it does have benefit. It increases their hope, it raises their expectations .. only to have provide for an even greater disappointment. This past basketball season was a wonderful example. I said after our defeat at MU that there was a silver lining. We raised their hopes higher, so the fall would be much more dramatic and painful. It was MU's destiny.

Man, it is good to be a Jayhawk.

Part of that is kicking MU's a**. It is our destiny.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 10 months ago

sure beats having to play real teams. How about UNC, Duke, OR ANY ACC teams?

bwack bwack bwack, chickenhawk..

jhawkart 1 year, 10 months ago

Translated....we don't hate Colorado.

april28 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think anyone needs to spend much time at KU explaining the university's decisions to schools or fans from another conference.

On the Methzzou front, Pinkel was on the radio ranting about the positive impact being in the SEC has had on recruiting. Don't know if you have ever heard Pinkel do a phone/radio interview....but he sounds like a wedding singer who puts his lips on the mic when he talks.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

From the "slightly related to this subject" and/or "complete trivial news" wire: Former CU coach Ricardo Patton has just signed on as a high school head coach at Central High in Memphis, How the mighty have fallen!

Robert Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

There is a tendency to overlook Colorado's leaving the Big 12. If you remember, UT was trying to pull a power move and insist that Baylor move to the Pac-12 instead of Colorado. Given the state of affairs at the time, I'm not sure Colorado had much choice when they were offered an opportunity to join the Pac-12.

If you look at alumni geographic distribution, you will see that outside of Kansas and KC Metro, the Denver area has the second largest concentration of KU alums behind, guess who is #1?

Robert Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

When I was in junior high or high school in Topeka in the early 70s, we had a phys ed instructor (he may have been a student teacher) named Ted Juneau. I wonder if it is the same guy. He would have to be at least in his mid sixties.

doolindalton 1 year, 10 months ago

I would prefer Coach Self simply come out and say that KU has no respect for the University of Missouri, we are glad they are gone and that no one in the Kansas Athletic Department cares what is said by Missouri fans on the internet and on talk shows. That response would warrant an enthusiastic 60s-style fist in the air with a boisterous "right on."

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I truly love to hear Coach Self answer questions. Especially ones regarding MU.

He is so tactful, yet always manages to get a little jab in somewhere.

I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall when he's having a beer with his buddies and hear what he really thinks about Missouri. I have a feeling it's much the same as we all feel.

I'll bet he even has a Muck Fizzou shirt in the closet.....

manginorh00lz 1 year, 10 months ago

Colorado didn't have to leave. They could have stayed and kept the Big 12 intact. They didn't act any differently than Missouri. They just made less noise on their way out.

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

If Merv Lindsay transferred for playing time why would he go to the fairly reputable team of New Mexico?

JHWKDW 1 year, 10 months ago

How dare anyone question or attack coach Self!That is National Championship coach Bill Self stupid losers!Chances are these people are either one of two things!1)Roy Williams Sycophants that have not gotten over Roy Williams being gone and do not like Self or ever will 2)Are ignorant of what has happened to the conference due to the Texass Longhorns and their Selfishness and history of destroying conferences!Maybe these ignoramus a-holes should be asking why 5 teams (Arkansas,Colorado,Texas A&M,Missouri,and Nebraska)Refuse to ever play against Texas!Colorado and the other teams that left the Big 12 will get more money and more say in issues unlike they had here!Unless you kiss the Ring and Behind of the Longhorns nothing will happen!They just do not look at the facts they just have no reality of what happened!

I say to those who criticize Self for this Screw you go put on some horns and go kiss Texass behind!We do not want you as fans!Go pucker up and Kiss Douchebag Deloss Dodds Hind end!

Bill Self has the right to do what he wants!He is not doing anything wrong!Hey Coach Self we will always respect and trust you!True fans would never question a move like this!Keep up the good work and keep making us proud!

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 1 year, 10 months ago

I love Manning's loyalty! I just can't get over it.

It would serve Robinson well to study film of Ben Wallace, Corliss Williamsson, and Larry Johnson--three tweeners who found ways to be effective. If he is going to continue playing PF, Wallace (although less skilled offensively) would be a great role model. If circumstances dictate that Robinson switch positions, Corliss Williamson and Larry Johnson were two dominant (and undersized) college PFs who, in the NBA, spent time at SF and SG respectively.

IMO, I think Robinson falls somewhere in between Wallace and LJ. He's a better offensive player than Wallace, but not nearly the defensive presence (for now) and he may be a better defensive player than Grandmama, but not nearly as adept at putting "the rock in the hole" (for now). Oddly, Robinson may be the least explosive, of the three (Wallace, LJ, and Robinson). He's quicker, faster, and more agile, but LJ and Wallace could really take off!

sevenyearhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Shiat, this is more about all those Jayhawk fans in western godforsaken Kansas than anything else ...