Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kansas, KU a hit so far for freshman Andrew White

Kansas University freshman Andrew White says he's adjusting well to KU and the area after just one week in Kansas. The Charlottesville, Va., guard/forward helped out at a KC Gym Rats camp on Tuesday at Blue Valley Northwest High School.

— Approximately 100 KC Gym Rats campers huddled around Kansas University veteran basketball player Travis Releford and newcomer Andrew White late Tuesday afternoon at Blue Valley Northwest High School.

The grade schoolers proved they follow KU basketball recruiting as well as the actual games by requesting just as many autographs from 6-foot-6 Charlottesville, Va., freshman guard/forward White as fifth-year senior forward Releford.

White, in fact, served his three-hour stint as a camp counselor with a pen positioned behind his right ear, easy access available for all the signature requests.

“I’ve actually worked some camps in my hometown,” said White, Rivals.com’s No. 51-rated player in the recruiting class of 2012. “This is before I was committed (to KU). I wasn’t as significant to those people as I am in this environment. I’m really enjoying it.

“This is my first time being in Kansas permanently,” added White. He graduated from Miller School on May 26, and, one week later departed for Kansas with his mom, Sheryl, for the start of summer school and his college adventure.

“Just seeing kids, adults, everybody around the city in a Jayhawk shirt is great. I can tell these people really look up to me, and I enjoy working with them.”

In fact, one of the main reasons White chose KU over North Carolina State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Richmond, Texas, Georgetown and others, is the interest of the KU fans.

“I think one of the most amazing things is walking to the local stores and seeing all the Jayhawk gear. That’s a big change for me. I’m getting used to it quick,” White said.

He’s already getting used to sharing his space. His Jayhawker Towers roommate is Zach Peters, a 6-9, 240-pound freshman from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

“He’s a big guy, a real big guy,” the 205-pound White said with a smile. “He’s a great kid. The good thing about Kansas is you don’t just see players from Kansas. We are very spread-out, diverse. That’s what makes it enjoyable, getting to know people from all over.”

The summer is about getting acquainted with his new teammates, campus and Lawrence.

“This is a great opportunity to get adjusted,” White said, “getting to know everybody and starting to work on my game. I want to progress at the highest rate possible and being on campus is the best way to do that. There are some differences. It’s flat here, not as many hills as Virginia. But being in this small town, the fans here are amazing. I’m going to enjoy being here.”

Releford said the Jayhawks are happy to have White aboard.

“I’ve not gotten to get to know him too well because he just got on campus, but he seems like a great kid,” Releford, a native of Kansas City, Mo., said of White, who averaged 22.9 points and 10.0 rebounds a game a year ago for 20-10 Miller School. “We’ve got a bunch of good guys coming in, guys capable of playing right away. It’ll be good for us.”

As far as where he'll help out on the court, White said: "“Two guard and maybe a little three, whatever I have to do to contribute. It’s in my coaches’ hands and I’m going to give my best.”

He admits he’ll miss his mom, who is a professor at J Sargeant Reynolds Community College in Richmond; dad, Andrew, who is a housing developer and brother, Andrien, a freshman basketball standout at Miller School.

“He’s on track to do some good things. Look out for him. He could be making a little noise sooner or later,” White said of his brother.

Recruiting: Markus Kennedy, a 6-9, 260-pound forward, who has decided to leave Villanova after one season, has KU on his list of schools, Jon Rothstein of CBS reports. Kennedy, a former Brewster Academy player who is from Philadelphia, also is considering LaSalle and Temple. He averaged 3.0 points and 4.4 rebounds in 14.8 minutes a game last season. ... Nothing is new on the recruiting front regarding Milton Doyle, a 6-4 senior guard from Chicago’s Marshall High. It is believed Doyle, who decommitted from Florida International following the firing of Isiah Thomas, will become a Jayhawk scholarship player as long as he qualifies academically. He has scheduled no other campus visits following a mid-May trip to KU and has no other schools on his list. He and his mom are not commenting on his recruitment as they await word on his eligibility.

Comments

phogphan2000 1 year, 10 months ago

I just think it's great for White to be enjoying his experience at Kansas so far. Hope he's ready to work hard and learn a great deal on the court and in the classroom. High hopes for you Mr. White, you made a great choice with KU and HCBS, keep building from there.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

White seems like the kind of player that will be in the rotation immediately.

Think about the athleticism on the floor with this five: EJ, McLemore, White, Releford, and Ellis.

Or the size with this five: EJ, Releford, White, Ellis, and Withey.

Love 6-6 guys. It is the perfect basketball height.

And guys like White seem to be the perfect recruit, much like McLemore. A guy that likely can help now, who is likely a four year player, who could be a big time guy.

Of course, his defense will determine his rotation time. Hope he picks it up quick.

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

White seems like he could be a great player someday and on his sophomore year should be able to help fill the hole left by the departures of Johnson and Releford from the backcourt.

I hear he is a good shooter as the probable starting lineup next year will consist of Elijah, Ben McLemore, Travis, Perry Ellis, and Jeff, none of whom are phenomenal shooters. I will be very pleased with his freshman performance if he comes off the bench and knocks down some perimeter shots, and if he can do it with more consistency than Conner Teahan did last year.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

OKC in Finals!

Jayhawks represent on West team and will represent on either East team as well.

Recruiting at KU just got a little boost!

bennybob 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm very excited about White,

he's a couple years in the weight room away from being Xavier Henry. although, as an upperclassmen he'll probably be more clutch than X was.

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

What did I miss? What has happened to Anrio Adams?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Is this pretty much what the roster is going to be all things getting resolved?:

Manning.......Walk-on.......FR.......G Self..............Walk-on.......FR.......G Roberts........Walk-on.......JR........G Garrett.........Walk-on.......SOPH...G Wesley........Walk-on.......RS JR...F McLemore....Schol...........RS FR..G Traylor.........Schol...........RS FR ..F Tharpe.........Schol...........SOPH ..G Withey.........Schol...........RS SR..C Johnson.......Schol...........SR........G Peters..........Schol...........FR........F Ellis.............Schol...........FR........F White...........Schol...........FR........F Lucas...........Schol...........FR........C Doyle...........Schol...........FR........G Young..........Schol...........SR........F Releford........Schol...........RS SR..G Adams.........Schol............FR.......G

WOW....10 of our 18 are going to be playing in their first NCAA Division 1 Season

KUbsee69 1 year, 10 months ago

To all that think of Kansas as flat ... go visit Amarillo, Tx. Now that's flat. It's the only place I know of where you can watch your dog run away for 4 days.

brooksmd 1 year, 10 months ago

"As far as where he'll help out on the court, White said: "Two guard and maybe a little three, whatever I have to do to contribute. It’s in my coaches’ hands and I’m going to give my best.”"

Love that kind of attitude. Already a winner in my book.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Regarding coming to Lawrence for the first time back in the fall of 1966, I was blown away by the beauty and spirit of this tranquil college town.

Of course, I was from Missouri, so a bubbling tar pit filled with noxious gases would have still been an improvement!!! :)

[PS Just kidding....sort of]

fightlikejaysandhawks 1 year, 10 months ago

Honest question: Are the any Jayhawks that have won both NCAA and NBA championships? Danny?

Sam Brockert 1 year, 10 months ago

Anyone else realize this will be the first year KU doesn't have a player that was on the 08 champinship team playing?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

From ESPN.com regarding KU's 2013 recruiting needs:

"Primary needs: The Jayhawks are in need of some size, a point guard and some wing scoring. They have already landed an ESPN 100 combo-guard who can shoot in Conner Frankamp (Wichita, Kan./North) and an ESPN 100 wing who is one of the best scorers in the country in Brannen Greene (Monroe, Ga./Tift County). However, they would still like to add at least a couple quality players to that duo, especially an impact big man.

Targets: ESPN 100 PG Anthony Barber (Hampton, Va./Hampton), ESPN 100 PF Austin Nichols (Eads, Tenn./Briarcrest), ESPN 100 SF Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), ESPN 100 PF Julius Randle (Dallas/Prestonwood Christian), ESPN 100 SF Ishmail Wainright (Raytown, Mo./Montrose Christian), ESPN 100 PF Chris Walker (Bonifay, Fla./Holmes County)

It's a great recruiting season if ... Kansas lands an impact player. If the Jayhawks could pull off either Randle or Parker, that would be huge, but even if those two don't ever don Kansas uniforms it can still be a successful recruiting season as long as the Jayhawks fill their needs. Self & Co. always seem to find a way to get it done, but landing an impact post player is more difficult this year because there are not a lot in this class, so those post players who are good are being recruited by every major program in the country."

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

Hearing him describe his early KU experiences reminded me of how exciting it was as a young punk from NJ many moons ago. I fell in love with everything about Lawrence and KU. Could only imagine what it must be like for a bball player!

Welcome aboard Andrew. Hope you are part of a class that adds to the great legacy others have left before you.

RCJH

Fortesque Beagleton 1 year, 10 months ago

First person I've ever heard call Lawrence flat.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

As we say in Hawaii, "Aloha, Andrew." Looking forward to watching you perform on the court. I have this confident feeling that the Jayhawks are going to win a lot of games because of your abilities and contributions. Not to put too big a load on anyone's shoulders, but I believe this so called "not so highly ranked" recruiting class is going to surpass everyone's expectations. As always, I can hardly wait till next season begins.

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Totally off subject, but... how many posters on here do you think are actually KU bball or fball players? You KNOW at least a couple of them have made posts, given the fact that they're never away from the social technology. I'd venture to bet Tyshawn has a username on here.

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 10 months ago

Not only is he a nice guy, he's also tough as nails. His junior year of high school, he played a state playoff game with a broken forearm!

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 10 months ago

Andrew White seems like a seriously nice young man, just the kind of player I LOVE to see coming in.
Welcome, Andrew, and know that there are thousands of us Jayhawk faithful scattered all over the country who wish we could be there to help welcome you to the best campus ever. We're all looking forward to you learning all you can about basketball and life while having a great time playing the greatest game in the greatest arena on the planet!!!

Rock Chalk!! jayhawks!!

Hurinfan 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm starting to like this kid (not that I didn't before).

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

Andrew sounds like a really great kid. Summer in Lawrence is an adjustment for a lot of big city kids - and open minds, excitement, and gratitude are most becoming!

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

It's believed Doyle will become a scholarship player? How do we know he was offered a scholarship?