Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kansas, KU a hit so far for freshman Andrew White

Kansas University freshman Andrew White says he's adjusting well to KU and the area after just one week in Kansas. The Charlottesville, Va., guard/forward helped out at a KC Gym Rats camp on Tuesday at Blue Valley Northwest High School.

— Approximately 100 KC Gym Rats campers huddled around Kansas University veteran basketball player Travis Releford and newcomer Andrew White late Tuesday afternoon at Blue Valley Northwest High School.

The grade schoolers proved they follow KU basketball recruiting as well as the actual games by requesting just as many autographs from 6-foot-6 Charlottesville, Va., freshman guard/forward White as fifth-year senior forward Releford.

White, in fact, served his three-hour stint as a camp counselor with a pen positioned behind his right ear, easy access available for all the signature requests.

“I’ve actually worked some camps in my hometown,” said White, Rivals.com’s No. 51-rated player in the recruiting class of 2012. “This is before I was committed (to KU). I wasn’t as significant to those people as I am in this environment. I’m really enjoying it.

“This is my first time being in Kansas permanently,” added White. He graduated from Miller School on May 26, and, one week later departed for Kansas with his mom, Sheryl, for the start of summer school and his college adventure.

“Just seeing kids, adults, everybody around the city in a Jayhawk shirt is great. I can tell these people really look up to me, and I enjoy working with them.”

In fact, one of the main reasons White chose KU over North Carolina State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Richmond, Texas, Georgetown and others, is the interest of the KU fans.

“I think one of the most amazing things is walking to the local stores and seeing all the Jayhawk gear. That’s a big change for me. I’m getting used to it quick,” White said.

He’s already getting used to sharing his space. His Jayhawker Towers roommate is Zach Peters, a 6-9, 240-pound freshman from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

“He’s a big guy, a real big guy,” the 205-pound White said with a smile. “He’s a great kid. The good thing about Kansas is you don’t just see players from Kansas. We are very spread-out, diverse. That’s what makes it enjoyable, getting to know people from all over.”

The summer is about getting acquainted with his new teammates, campus and Lawrence.

“This is a great opportunity to get adjusted,” White said, “getting to know everybody and starting to work on my game. I want to progress at the highest rate possible and being on campus is the best way to do that. There are some differences. It’s flat here, not as many hills as Virginia. But being in this small town, the fans here are amazing. I’m going to enjoy being here.”

Releford said the Jayhawks are happy to have White aboard.

“I’ve not gotten to get to know him too well because he just got on campus, but he seems like a great kid,” Releford, a native of Kansas City, Mo., said of White, who averaged 22.9 points and 10.0 rebounds a game a year ago for 20-10 Miller School. “We’ve got a bunch of good guys coming in, guys capable of playing right away. It’ll be good for us.”

As far as where he'll help out on the court, White said: "“Two guard and maybe a little three, whatever I have to do to contribute. It’s in my coaches’ hands and I’m going to give my best.”

He admits he’ll miss his mom, who is a professor at J Sargeant Reynolds Community College in Richmond; dad, Andrew, who is a housing developer and brother, Andrien, a freshman basketball standout at Miller School.

“He’s on track to do some good things. Look out for him. He could be making a little noise sooner or later,” White said of his brother.

Recruiting: Markus Kennedy, a 6-9, 260-pound forward, who has decided to leave Villanova after one season, has KU on his list of schools, Jon Rothstein of CBS reports. Kennedy, a former Brewster Academy player who is from Philadelphia, also is considering LaSalle and Temple. He averaged 3.0 points and 4.4 rebounds in 14.8 minutes a game last season. ... Nothing is new on the recruiting front regarding Milton Doyle, a 6-4 senior guard from Chicago’s Marshall High. It is believed Doyle, who decommitted from Florida International following the firing of Isiah Thomas, will become a Jayhawk scholarship player as long as he qualifies academically. He has scheduled no other campus visits following a mid-May trip to KU and has no other schools on his list. He and his mom are not commenting on his recruitment as they await word on his eligibility.

Comments

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

Andrew sounds like a really great kid. Summer in Lawrence is an adjustment for a lot of big city kids - and open minds, excitement, and gratitude are most becoming!

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 3 months ago

Charlottesville is college town and has a population half the size of Lawrence.

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

You are correct suh (or ma'am). For some reason (Mom's job?) I pictured Charlottesville as a neighborhood within the City of Richmond.

Andrew was also so highly rated, that I pictured him playing ball in an area with a large population - although I realize that small towns can produce gems too.

Hurinfan 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm starting to like this kid (not that I didn't before).

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 3 months ago

Andrew White seems like a seriously nice young man, just the kind of player I LOVE to see coming in.
Welcome, Andrew, and know that there are thousands of us Jayhawk faithful scattered all over the country who wish we could be there to help welcome you to the best campus ever. We're all looking forward to you learning all you can about basketball and life while having a great time playing the greatest game in the greatest arena on the planet!!!

Rock Chalk!! jayhawks!!

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 3 months ago

Not only is he a nice guy, he's also tough as nails. His junior year of high school, he played a state playoff game with a broken forearm!

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 3 months ago

Are we not sure that APHERSCOACHINGEXPERIENCE or whatever the heck his name is isn't Mangino?? Also, that would be funny if Jaybate were Tyshawn, but i highly doubt that. (Sorry for misspellings, it's late!)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

I thought Jaybate was really Pollard, Anybody know differently?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

If Pollard was Jaybate, the posts would be three times as long and partially typed in Klingon

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

As we say in Hawaii, "Aloha, Andrew." Looking forward to watching you perform on the court. I have this confident feeling that the Jayhawks are going to win a lot of games because of your abilities and contributions. Not to put too big a load on anyone's shoulders, but I believe this so called "not so highly ranked" recruiting class is going to surpass everyone's expectations. As always, I can hardly wait till next season begins.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad to hear your outlook. I share the same confidence. The collective nature of this athletic class could be really intimidating after HCBS and the rest of the braintrust on the bench works their magic with them. Truth is, there will be some real contests for PT at several positions. The team is the real winner with that scenario.

mattiesdad 2 years, 3 months ago

You don't "Walk the Plain" when you graduate...he'll learn.

ku_foaf 2 years, 3 months ago

As pointed out, he is from a mountainous region. I lived in the northern part of Atlanta, and Lawrence is "flat" by comparison. Depends on your reference point! I live in Houston, and Lawrence is mountainous by comparison.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

He should visit Wichita, Goodland or Liberal.

Garry Wright 2 years, 3 months ago

Visit Sublette in the middle of Haskell, Co., the flatest county in Kansas.

eastcoasthawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Being a kid from the East coast and coming to Kansas for the first time I thought that the region was flat (not Lawrence). There is definitely a culture shock you have to adjust to. Lawrence (and Kansas) get much better views of sunsets just for the lesser amount of trees compared to the East coast. It will take a while so give him some time in Lawrence so he gets to know the town better. I'm sure if he had to walk up and down the hill from Hashinger or Ellsworth every day instead of across the street from the Towers he wouldn't be saying that.

Welcome to Lawrence and KU Andrew!

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

He still has to walk up the hill to class everyday from the Towers because he's going have classes in just about every building on campus. I think the only buildings I never had a class in were Lippincott, Bailey (somehow), and Pearson. There might be some other buildings, but I don't remember.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 3 months ago

It is compared to the area he is from. He definitely has not been to western Kansas

mdm7eb 2 years, 3 months ago

Having grown up in Kansas and now attending UVA in Charlottesville, Lawrence is flat by comparison. Charlottesville is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 3 months ago

Hearing him describe his early KU experiences reminded me of how exciting it was as a young punk from NJ many moons ago. I fell in love with everything about Lawrence and KU. Could only imagine what it must be like for a bball player!

Welcome aboard Andrew. Hope you are part of a class that adds to the great legacy others have left before you.

RCJH

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

From ESPN.com regarding KU's 2013 recruiting needs:

"Primary needs: The Jayhawks are in need of some size, a point guard and some wing scoring. They have already landed an ESPN 100 combo-guard who can shoot in Conner Frankamp (Wichita, Kan./North) and an ESPN 100 wing who is one of the best scorers in the country in Brannen Greene (Monroe, Ga./Tift County). However, they would still like to add at least a couple quality players to that duo, especially an impact big man.

Targets: ESPN 100 PG Anthony Barber (Hampton, Va./Hampton), ESPN 100 PF Austin Nichols (Eads, Tenn./Briarcrest), ESPN 100 SF Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), ESPN 100 PF Julius Randle (Dallas/Prestonwood Christian), ESPN 100 SF Ishmail Wainright (Raytown, Mo./Montrose Christian), ESPN 100 PF Chris Walker (Bonifay, Fla./Holmes County)

It's a great recruiting season if ... Kansas lands an impact player. If the Jayhawks could pull off either Randle or Parker, that would be huge, but even if those two don't ever don Kansas uniforms it can still be a successful recruiting season as long as the Jayhawks fill their needs. Self & Co. always seem to find a way to get it done, but landing an impact post player is more difficult this year because there are not a lot in this class, so those post players who are good are being recruited by every major program in the country."

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

If we add Doyle and everybody stays, that leaves us with four scholarship left for 2013. Conner and Greene are in. I agree that we need another big: Randle or Shepherd would fit. Yes, another Guard would be nice in Barber or Freeman. But how would we turn down a Chris Walker if he fell in our laps?

Conner Greene Shepherd Walker

Would be a GREAT recruiting class.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be interesting to have Heaps (QB) talk to Jabari Parker and give him some insight.

Robert Brock 2 years, 3 months ago

Forget about Parker; he ain't coming to KU. Randle is a possibility, although a distant one. Of the bigs, our best opportunity would be with Shepherd. Point guards (and the Hawks still need one): Anthony Barber. He is the type that Bill Self prefers. Decent size for the position, extra quick, good handles, gets into the paint whenever he chooses, and is a good passer. Combine that with a great-shooting combo like Frankamp and that duo could do opponents some harm.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

What you are saying is that you would take Barber over Walker?

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

dont spring for insider. ESPN recruiting is garbage.

UF just added more depth to the front court while at the same time lessening it here at KU. that plays out well in the Walker recruitment

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't pay attention to any of the "experts" at ESPN. The only good thing they provide is a chip on the shoulder of everyone associated with Kansas basketball including us fans.

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

So according to espn, we need guards, wings, and big men. what don;t we need?

that list is so generic you could apply it to almost every school in the country.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone else realize this will be the first year KU doesn't have a player that was on the 08 champinship team playing?

bjdku 2 years, 3 months ago

True, but this team has a lot of national championship runner ups which is pretty cool too!

fightlikejaysandhawks 2 years, 3 months ago

Honest question: Are the any Jayhawks that have won both NCAA and NBA championships? Danny?

Alex Berger 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Clyde Lovellette might be the only player so far to win championships in both college and pro basketball.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 2 years, 3 months ago

Clyde won 3 NBA Championship rings, won All-America twice, won NCAA in 1952 and followed that with Olympic win and a gold medal. Also only player to ever win the scoring and have his team with NCAA.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Wilt? Nope Jo Jo? Nope Paul? Nope Danny? Nope Mario? Maybe....some day

MimiHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Sasha Kaun could someday... I know he recently resigned with the Russian team... but, doesn't Cleveland have his rights?

Joe Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

Aldrich and Chalmers are the only two that have a chance at your question.

I want the Celts and Pierce to beat the Heat. I want the Thunder to beat the Spurs.

Texas_JHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

You are forgetting about Nick Collison. He plays good minutes for OKC.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

My how many people forget about Brandon Rush! As long as he is in the NBA.................he has a chance!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Then with that being said, Darrell Arthur could be one with a chance as well.

fightlikejaysandhawks 2 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't trying to be snarky. I did mean players, not coaches, but props to you, lonestar. Go Thunder!!!!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand. But Larry was my only good answer I could come up with. The only thing I will disagree with you on is 'Go Spurs'.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Regarding coming to Lawrence for the first time back in the fall of 1966, I was blown away by the beauty and spirit of this tranquil college town.

Of course, I was from Missouri, so a bubbling tar pit filled with noxious gases would have still been an improvement!!! :)

[PS Just kidding....sort of]

kfeldman 2 years, 2 months ago

You arrived at KU as a freshman in the fall of 1966?? Perfect! I'm writing an article about one of your classmates. I'm hoping you might have some tips on how to track down people who might have known him that year. I just sent you a message with more details. Let me know if you have ideas!

brooksmd 2 years, 3 months ago

"As far as where he'll help out on the court, White said: "Two guard and maybe a little three, whatever I have to do to contribute. It’s in my coaches’ hands and I’m going to give my best.”"

Love that kind of attitude. Already a winner in my book.

KUbsee69 2 years, 3 months ago

To all that think of Kansas as flat ... go visit Amarillo, Tx. Now that's flat. It's the only place I know of where you can watch your dog run away for 4 days.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Is this pretty much what the roster is going to be all things getting resolved?:

Manning.......Walk-on.......FR.......G Self..............Walk-on.......FR.......G Roberts........Walk-on.......JR........G Garrett.........Walk-on.......SOPH...G Wesley........Walk-on.......RS JR...F McLemore....Schol...........RS FR..G Traylor.........Schol...........RS FR ..F Tharpe.........Schol...........SOPH ..G Withey.........Schol...........RS SR..C Johnson.......Schol...........SR........G Peters..........Schol...........FR........F Ellis.............Schol...........FR........F White...........Schol...........FR........F Lucas...........Schol...........FR........C Doyle...........Schol...........FR........G Young..........Schol...........SR........F Releford........Schol...........RS SR..G Adams.........Schol............FR.......G

WOW....10 of our 18 are going to be playing in their first NCAA Division 1 Season

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Is Wesley really considered a walk on? I thought there was some distinction between those guys who come to AFH in droves to compete for a walk on position and those who have not been offered a scholarship. Also, if a player is considered as a walk on in his first year, do they get grandfathered in every year thereafter as an automatic process? Garrett is the only walk on without ties to a coach or former player. If a higher profile walk on is discovered, could he, or someone in a similar status, be released in lieu of the better walk on? I read the earlier post where it doesn't appear that there is a limit on the number of walk ons. But, how many is too many? Lot's of questions here!

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

As you stated, I don't believe there is a limit on the number of walk-ons a team can have. Where it matters is to those walk-ons sitting on the bench and rarely seeing court time. There is a limit during away games (and probably during tourney time as well). I think a team can only have 15 (?) along on away games. That also might figure in on the games KU plays in Europe. I'm sure Wesley will be first option for walk-ons, if his schollie is pulled, so I doubt he would ever be left behind. But if that's the case, regarding the other 4 walk-ons, would they flip a coin, or how would that be decided? Would the coach's son be asked to stay home? You're right. Lots of questions here.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

A few season ago, the walk-ons would rotate the road trips. I sure that there are still levels of walk-on heirarchy. I would imagine that Justin would have more priority than one of the guards like Evan, NIko or Garrett. I hope all get to go to Europe. What a great experience that would be!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 3 months ago

Garrett had ties to DeAndre Daniels. He is a smart kid. He works hard on the Scout Team to prepare the first team for the next opponet on the schedule. But to answer your question, there is no 'grandfather status' for walk-ons. They earn their spots each year.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

That depends on what the definition "earn" is ...

mikehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

What did I miss? What has happened to Anrio Adams?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

My roster is assuming all academic and eligibilty issues are resolved...obviously, Adams and Doyle are still up in the air.

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm very excited about White,

he's a couple years in the weight room away from being Xavier Henry. although, as an upperclassmen he'll probably be more clutch than X was.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

OKC in Finals!

Jayhawks represent on West team and will represent on either East team as well.

Recruiting at KU just got a little boost!

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

White seems like he could be a great player someday and on his sophomore year should be able to help fill the hole left by the departures of Johnson and Releford from the backcourt.

I hear he is a good shooter as the probable starting lineup next year will consist of Elijah, Ben McLemore, Travis, Perry Ellis, and Jeff, none of whom are phenomenal shooters. I will be very pleased with his freshman performance if he comes off the bench and knocks down some perimeter shots, and if he can do it with more consistency than Conner Teahan did last year.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

White seems like the kind of player that will be in the rotation immediately.

Think about the athleticism on the floor with this five: EJ, McLemore, White, Releford, and Ellis.

Or the size with this five: EJ, Releford, White, Ellis, and Withey.

Love 6-6 guys. It is the perfect basketball height.

And guys like White seem to be the perfect recruit, much like McLemore. A guy that likely can help now, who is likely a four year player, who could be a big time guy.

Of course, his defense will determine his rotation time. Hope he picks it up quick.

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

Mclemore is not a 4 year player.

White has never been considered an amazing athlete. he's an amazing shooter with size, excellent fundamentals, and a high basketball I.Q. i dont expect him to contribute to much as a freshman. he'll get minutes, but he'll still be a frosh

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 3 months ago

I just think it's great for White to be enjoying his experience at Kansas so far. Hope he's ready to work hard and learn a great deal on the court and in the classroom. High hopes for you Mr. White, you made a great choice with KU and HCBS, keep building from there.