Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tyler Self to play for dad

Free State's Tyler Self drives the ball down the court against Shawnee Mission East on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012, in Prairie Village. Free State lost in overtime, 49-47.

It was several days after Free State High’s graduation ceremony that Firebird shooting guard Tyler Self decided to act on his dad Bill’s offer to join Kansas University’s basketball team.

“It was my mother, him and I eating dinner at a little Mexican restaurant. I said something like, ‘I want to play.’ They were both kind of surprised. I think they both said, ‘Really?’ at the same time. It was pretty funny,” said Tyler, a 6-foot-2, 160-pounder who told the Journal-World on Monday he’d decided to become a non-scholarship walk-on player on Bill Self’s KU team.

Tyler, who averaged 3.9 points and 1.3 rebounds a game for the Firebirds (7-14) a year ago, chose KU over dad’s alma mater, Oklahoma State, where he would not have tried to walk on the hoops team and instead would have solely concentrated on his career path in business.

“I just love Kansas so much. I think it’ll be an amazing experience,“ said Tyler Self, whose sister, Lauren, is starting her senior year at KU.

Both Selfs are looking forward to four years of what they hope are special times for KU’s basketball program. Set to begin his 10th season, Bill Self has led KU to eight straight conference titles, one national title and a national runner-up appearance.

“I don’t know if he has ever officially been my coach,” Tyler said of his dad. “Growing up, he’d help me all the time. He’s been way in the background. He doesn’t want to interfere with anybody else or anything like that at all. We’re always talking after the games about different things.”

Bill Self said that, indeed, he has stayed out of the way of Tyler’s coaches.

“I have never tried to pressure Tyler athletically,” Bill Self said Monday. “In high school, junior high, I always let his coaches coach him. This time, I actually get to do it.

“I am very pleased that he has decided to walk on. It’ll be a lot of work, but it’s a great opportunity for him and even a better opportunity for me to be able to see my son and be around him.”

Self is the latest son of a KU coach to join the program. Evan Manning, son of new Tulsa coach and former KU assistant Danny Manning, will be a freshman walk-on this year. Niko Roberts, son of KU assistant Norm Roberts, is a junior on the squad.

“I think that KU is just an awesome place. I honestly don’t see how anybody would want to go anywhere else,” said Tyler, who was a Free State starter until hurting his ankle in a game last winter. He regained his starting spot once his ankle fully healed. “I am excited to be part of the team, to do whatever I can to contribute. I think ‘excited’ is the right word for it.”

“It’ll be great,” noted Bill. “I haven’t had a chance to spend as much time with him as I’d like, but this is a great opportunity. He loves KU. He loves the guys on the team. He’ll be a nice asset to our program, primarily through practice. He’ll be good in practice and a great teammate.”

By the way, it’s unlikely Bill and Tyler will be playing any one-on-one basketball during breaks in practice.

“Not in a while,” Tyler said of the last time the two squared off in the gym or driveway. “I think he knew when to quit playing me as I got older because I don’t think he wants to lose.”

Comments

AverageCitizen 2 years, 2 months ago

Welcome Tyler! This ought to be real interesting. I hope this assure HC Self will be around for at least four more years. Maybe he will be the real one to retire from KU..........

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

His contract is until March 2018, I don't see him leaving for any other reason.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 2 months ago

I really believe Bill Self would like to retire at Kansas. The only way I could see him leaving is if Zenger leaves and we get someone like Bohl for the AD.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

I think the only other job Self would take would be to coach the Spurs in the NBA. The GM is one of his best friends and if he gets an itch to try the NBA, he could go. Other than that, I don't think there is another college or NBA team he would consider. Of course I say this like we're great friends and he confides in me all the time. Obviously, this is just my two cents, and worth maybe half that much.

Mick Allen 2 years, 2 months ago

You are spot on. Purportedly Popovich has had enough, win or lose in the division championship or in the finals. Popovich would move into the front office. Coach Self is extremely close to R.C. Buford[his son was a walk on here]. Self and Popovich are friends also from the Larry Brown days.Tyler's walking on relieves some of my anxiety, as I don't think Self would make this commitment to his son if he was seriously considering moving on. My concern was always what would happen if the Thunder was looking for a new coach, but Scott Brooks has been so successful there[ lead the Spurs 3 to 2] that is no longer an immediate concern. Whatever it takes to retain the best college coach in the country is what we need to do if the NBA comes calling

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Have you been listening to that Mizzou clown on 810 AM? He has had Bill Self going to San Antonio for half a decade now.

I actually had a dream a couple months ago that Self was coaching for the Thunder, but considering that Brooks has most likely cemented that job for a few years, I am not too worried about it.

I would worry about the Thunder primarily because it is his hometown team, and to be honest, why would you turn down a chance to coach Durant as he ascends into his prime?

If Brooks resigns or gets canned, I'll lose some sleep.

timecronk 2 years, 2 months ago

So strange, I had a nightmare a few nights ago that Self went to coach at Nebraska. No idea where that idea came from, but I woke up in a cold sweat.

omng392 2 years, 2 months ago

I second that!! One of my favorite times in my life was having the opportunity to work along side my father. Now, its in the IT world and not b-ball... But it was still a great experience.

ku_foaf 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't you get it? He's going to coaching school!

David Hodges 2 years, 2 months ago

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! I'm willing to bet he turns into one hell of a team leader his last few years at KU, even if he doesn't see much playing time on game night. Don't rule out playing time yet though... Moody and Moorningstar both performed way beyond what was expected of them. Rock Chalk!

SWHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Tyler can be the Cole Aldrich of the OKC Thunder...every team needs a towel waver at the end of the bench. Good luck Tyler!

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey :) why does everybody hate on Cole?

WilburNether 2 years, 2 months ago

Because he was grossly overrated?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

Overrated at KU? Big change from the college game to the NBA, but after all that Cole did for KU, there is no reason for any Jayhawk to ever hate him.

bradam 2 years, 2 months ago

The way Cole took psycho-T of NC to school - dominating him - in that final four semi was enough for me to love him regardless of all else.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 2 months ago

+1 and it's not like he has done horrible in what action he has seen

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Consider the source. Thankfully most people don't need to initiate negative comments about others in an attempt to make themselves look good. It's so easy (and cowardly) to dis anonymously.

TulsaTownJhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

He is in position behind Perkins, Ibaka and Mohammed. The 4th string doesn't get much PT in the NBA ... But hopefully he'll get another ring this year!!

Brak 2 years, 2 months ago

Seriously? Haters gonna hate.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

2 possibilities:

A) You lead an extremely impressive life, since you're talking down to Cole Aldrich, one of KU's best centers ever.

OR...

B) You're just a coward / pssy talking sht on the internet. Deep down you hate what you have not / will not become in life.

My money's on B.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 2 months ago

The only questions are can he survive boot camp and how loud does the crowd cheer when he checks in during a blowout. ( if bill even puts him in)

billhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Welcome! We are happy you chose to be a part of KU basketball. I'm sure it will be a special time for your entire family!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

"Young Tyler Self to play for dad". Is there an old Tyler Self out there too or something?

What a great opportunity for Bill. He has sacrficed a lot for us fans...sure he gets paid for it but as a dad I know how much it sucks to have to travel for work and miss important events with your family. Money can't always fix missed moments. Now they have a chance to really do something special. That's huge. I only see positives here.

brooksmd 2 years, 2 months ago

"but as a dad I know how much it sucks to have to travel for work and miss important events with your family. Money can't always fix missed moments."

You're exactly right. I was fortunate to be in a position to be able to go in late, take-off early, or take-off completely from work, in order to be there to support my son. Very special times.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Evan Manning vs. Tyler Self. Who wins 3 of 5 one on one games?

This won't be like a Bobby Knight/Pat Knight scenario. "Young" Tyler will learn a lot but not see more than 15 minutes sum-total this season.

kerbyd 2 years, 2 months ago

Evan Manning vs Tyler Self vs Niko Roberts.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Evan Manning is alot better than Tyler Self and Niko Roberts is better than both of them.

Carter Patterson 2 years, 2 months ago

I think its great that he's on the team, so don't take this story wrong! This brings up a great fieldhouse memory for me back in the early 80s playing against Billy Tubbs' Sooners.

"Tommy Tubbs is on the team because his Dad is Coach"!

Poor kid was harassed all day. I think our walk-on guys take a lot of pride in being great practice players. Who knows...Tyler may be a coach someday.

mikehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Everyone is missing the real points here. Tyler and his sister love KU. This is a kid whose parent's have OSU orange in their blood (whether the we want to admit or not), and he rejected OSU to be at KU. His dad rejected the Poke call to stay at KU, also. Bill Self gives his soul for KU, and families of head D1 coaches suffer. And their sons suffer even more. He wants to spend time with his dad, and his dad wants to spend time with his son. I think Bill Self has earned the right to invite his son to walk on if he Tyler wants that, and apparently he does. Let's celebrate we have Tyler and his dad at least 4 more years.

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Ditto, and welcome Tyler. Great to have you on board!

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

This is a great comment. They get to hang out and compete together for four years of their lives. How many fathers and sons can say that? They are going to have a blast.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 2 months ago

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 2 months ago

I would love too! But, Boot Camp and Hudy would make my lovey wife a widow. Plus my 8 inch vertical keep me competitive in a game of H O R S E at the 'Y' but maybe not effective in a real game.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 2 months ago

You really care if there isn't walk on tryouts? Let Coach Self make the calls on who makes the team. Ya, they made the team because of their last name, but I guarantee they will work as hard as everyone else. Stop being a negative Nancy and be grateful we have Coach Self and a lot of the top recruits in the county playing for KU. It's a special day for the Self family, so back off bro.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 2 months ago

As long as Self is happy Tyler, can walk on the moon if he wants to for all I care.

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Pretty sure they will earn their spot on the bench, it's definitely no walk in the park to practice with the team day after day. Sounds like you and SWHawk need to get together, "pea meet pod".

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

"but I guarantee they will work as hard as everyone else." Actually, I bet Tyler has to work harder than everyone else. If he ever takes a night off, drill off or just has a bad day, he'll probably hear about it afterwards. I was a coach's son in highschool basketball and jr. high football, and there were days I wished the coach was anyone but my dad. Looking back, I wouldn't change it for anything and I have some great memories, but I think sometimes your dad will go harder on you so it doesn't look like he is playing favorites.

Best of luck, Tyler! We're glad you're a Jayhawk!

chalked 2 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of walk ons a team can have. True, they are not on scholarship, but there is an expense involved having them on the team (training table, travel, hotels, etc.). It there is no limit, why not do what Larry Brown did- and what they still do at North Carolina? Let's assemble a JV team.

number1jayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

Per NCAA rules only so many players can travel with the team so walk-ons are really not that much of an extra expense.

championhawks 2 years, 2 months ago

"wow, I guess there will be no walk on tryouts for the next 4 years with Self and Manning getting to wear jerseys and sit on the bench due to their last name."

Really??? I'm pretty sure that both Self and Manning have earned the right to have whoever they want walk on. These are 2 of the biggest names to be associated with KU basketball in KU history. If that means that 2 other kids won't get to live out their dream of walking on, then so be it!

KUFan90 2 years, 2 months ago

Clearly KU hired Bill Self to lock in Tyler Self to KU.

Wait till the accusations start flying from MU. ; )

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Since there are about 5 of us on here that "get" sarcasm - you should start receiving hateful comments shortly !!

okiedave 2 years, 2 months ago

I never read a thing KUFan 90 writes. My attention get stuck on the photo.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorrry, KUFan90...I couldn't get past your avatar...what did you post???

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know about the total number either, but I think there is a travel number limit. I seem to remember a couple years ago when the walk-ons were on a round robin schedule for away games because they couldn't all go to every game.

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

I always thought that HCBS really wanted to coach Tyler and he would stick around for those years. That will put him entering year 14 when Tyler leaves - you'd think he'd stick around at least for 15 to match Roy. After that is when I'd be worried about the Spurs or Thunder's head coaching jobs having an opening.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 2 months ago

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Please tell me, with your obvious infinite knowledge, how you know that Tyler hasn't earned it. Just another example of how ignorance breeds prejudice.

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Walk ons are similar to a JV or scout team in reality. Their function is primarily as practice players who challenge the starters and rotation players off of the bench. Every now and then, there are walk ons who are talented enough to actually contribute and some who eventually are rewarded with scholarships. Juenemann was one of the better walk ons recently. Don't forget Moody, also.

I love the nepotism factor and Jayhawk Pride angle. But, as with making offers to the best possible "players", we need the best possible "practice players" to maximize the preparations for games.

I would think there would be a long line of athletes who play CC ball and/or Jr. College ball who would trade their jerseys in a heartbeat for a Kansas Jayhawk jersey even as a walk on. If there is a limit to the number of walk ons, and I'm sure there must be some limit, we need to stock those ranks with players who not only want to be Jayhawks, but those who deserve to be Jayhawks by being able to fulfill the roles as practice players who challenge and push players to be the best they can be..

If there is an unlimited number of players allowed to be called walk ons, I'm all for sons, nephews, friends etc. to be used during practices. If there is a limit, the "boot camp" is supposed to weed out those who can't hack it. But, the practice of "legacy" walk ons should not be permitted, in my opionion.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Like a posted awhile ago, it's a shame Danny moved on to Tulsa in one respect...Kansas could have set an NCAA record on Father's Day for the most father/son combos on one team [the Selfs, the Mannings and the Roberts]

Digging through the NCAA Recruiting Rules, it appears that there is no limit on the number of walk-ons allowed for any team, so, hypothetically, you could actually have five 5 star recruits from rich families come in as walk-ons and still be allowed your 13 scholarship limit. [extreme example of course]

daytonahawk2 2 years, 2 months ago

On another note:

If the Thunder beat the Spurs on Wednesday, then at least one Jayhawk will be going home with a NBA Championship ring in 2012 ...

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

I think it's essentially booked with the Thunder winning last night's swing game and stealing home court. The East has no chance.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmm .. booked? You're talking about the best NBA franchise of the last 15 years. Arguably the best professional franchise of any sport in that time frame. You may end up being correct, but I would not write them off just yet.

Andy Hess 2 years, 2 months ago

And if the Finals are Heat/Thunder, we'll have the first Jayhawk with both an NBA and NCAA Championship since Clyde Lovellette.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

You are forgetting that the Spurs have Jacque serving as an assistant coach. There is a Jayhawk on each of the remaining teams so regardless of the outcome, at least one will win a ring (Thunder the only exception).

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

You almost had me, except for the fact that I said "There is a Jayhawk on each of the remaining teams..."

The only exception that I mentioned is that there are 2 Jayhawks on the Thunder roster (which you so thoughtfully highlighted with your post). This is why I love message board crowds, they always try to catch someone and call them out before actually reading everything that is said.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, that's not MarchPhog's MO at all. And admit it . . . you kind of bated the post. And, your post WAS read - down to the last line.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

I actually noticed both references, but didn't even consider that by "exception", you meant it would be multiple Jayhawks as opposed to a single Jayhawk.

It came across to me like you had contradicted yourself, since the way it was written made it sound like the Thunder were the exception to a Jayhawk getting a ring. Mentioning the players names seemed like the easiest way to clear up the apparent contradiction. Turns out you there wasn't a contradiction at all, just a miscommunication.

I didn't intend to really call you out, just correct what I thought was incorrect info.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

[Insert obligatory comment decrying the shameful practice of nepotism in college basketball and how those valuable walk-on slots could have gone to a "more deserving" player that didn't have the benefit of being a child of Danny Manning or Bill Self]

Oh what's that? Jason7of9 already took care of that? Oh, sorry.

But in all seriousness... of all the stupid, pointless things to get up in arms over. Being upset that a coach wants to have his son (or the son of a close personal friend and colleague) walk-on for HIS team is a case of outrage just looking for a reason to exist.

There is only one drawback to this choice: two kids who are definitely deserving and have most likely worked as hard or harder than anyone else who could possibly come to the open walk-on tryouts get to be on the team instead of two kids who may have worked as hard as Evan Manning and Tyler Self. The most important traits Self needs from his walk-ons are: dedication, attitude and toughness. I'm willing to bet that Self has more knowledge of and ability to elicit those traits from two kids he's known for so long than Random Walk-On Tryout Participant A, B or C.

Welcome to the team Tyler. We'll love you just like every other Jayhawk--walk-on or schollie--that has been a part of the Family.

AverageCitizen 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, think of this from the other side. Why should Tyler (or any other coaches son) be automatically DENIED the ability to be a walk on on his dad's team. Tyler and Evan aren't gong to be embarrassing their dad's by slacking off. I have no idea what their competence level is but if it is not up to par, I would guess they would realize it and not continue to play. These young men seem to be at least the equal to the Witherspoons and Hawkins of the past teams.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

"These young men seem to be at least the equal to the Witherspoons and Hawkins of the past teams" I haven't seen either one of them bounce a ball much yet compete against an opponent. The assumption that they are equal to anybody who has played the game is just that, an assumption. Nobody is being denied the opportunity to try out to be a walk on. It's just the notion that there shouuld be an endowment or legacy for a player. We don't need "cheerleaders" on the bench. We need guys who can take a charge from a starting KU Jayhawk player in a practice and live to tell about it!

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know if I like the idea of having someone who averaged 4 points and a rebound a game at a sub-0.500 high school team play for Kansas, even if he is the coaches son.

There are alot of average people who could have made a HS bball team and averaged 4 ppg.

Brak 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's not forget that West kid who won the walk on tryouts last year quit shortly after the season started because it took too much of his time. Something tells me Tyler and Evan won't be quitting at all. It's not like they are going to be playing any major minutes so I'm not sure why all the hate.

cvhindustries 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think there's a thing wrong with this. He'll be a non-threatening asset in practice. I have no way of knowing, but I'm sure he has a good head on his shoulders and a pretty good basketball mind.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully Dad is grooming son to be the next KU head coach when he retires 20 years from now.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

Even if Tyler was not added as a walk on, there is no guarantee Self would have taken someone else. Get over it people. This is something that is exciting for both Coach Self and Tyler Self, which means it is a great thing for us as fans.

For the record, Title 9 has nothing to do with the number of players on the KU men's basketball team. Not. One. Thing.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Title 9??? You are either ignorant, misogynistic, or not using the sarcasm font.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Welcome aboard, Tyler. You and Evan can already see what a meatgrinder of daily posts await you, every time your names are mentioned in an LJW article. Consider it part of the toughening process, something of a 4-season extension of your 2-week bootcamp. You each bear the genes to handle whatever comes your way in the sport of basketball. Personally, I can't hear enough of the names Self and Manning. Will be great to see your names in print, as well as cheer for you any time you might enter a contest. Sounds like joyful possibilities, spending so much time with your dad and being involved with the essence of his life's work. You are blessed to be the offspring and one of the players for the best college coach on the planet. You, Evan and your sister obviously cherish the university and proximity to your family legacies.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

+1,000

And remember, there are only a couple hundred posters here on this site, yet some 16,300 or so in the field house who applaud your effort, attitude and love of the game and our legacy.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm just wondering how you know that Tyler Self gave great effort, or has that he has a good attitude, or that he has a real love for the game? Just ridiculous assumptions and speculation. Tyler could be a spoiled brat that's been given everything by his parents. You don't know and I don't know. But I guess if you have your cheerleader's outfit on, why not speculate?

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh please. We are bickering about WALK-ON's???????

Tyler is willing to go through the grueling practices and boot camp. Do you think he doesn't know what that will be like? Is it so ridiculous to think that growing up with Bill and Cindy might have, or probably created a love of the game, and an understanding of KU basketball history?

Who actually cares which kids are anointed flag wavers at the end of the bench? All this talk about depriving an almost D-1 kid of a chance to walk on at KU is what is ridiculous. Anyone left out of the J-Hawk party can get a free ride at mid-major or D-2 school, many of which are in primo locations with fine academics and/or coeds and lifestyles.

Nobody's hurting here. Everybody wins. It's a chance to inject a little REAL family into the "FOE" that gives much of the Jayhawk nation pleasure. Take off your bucking strap and try a pleated skirt for a change.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Tyler has aged since this story first hit the site. He's no longer "Young Tyler Self"!

How does this happen, do you think? Did HCBS dislike the "Young" label? Did WOTS dislike the label? Or, did somebody at LJW just have misgivings for the label? Just wonderin'.

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

Tyler Self, coach-in-waiting

dmc8142 2 years, 2 months ago

All i know is the kid is going to get worked/pushed so hard it's not even funny. Great experience for him. Way to go!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I am for players having to go through open tryouts for spots.

I am for the best player being picked.

I am against coaches sons, or anyone else, being given free passes onto the bench, when better players might be found on campus.

Basketball is a competitive game.

The best basketball players enrolled at KU are supposed to make the team, not thirteen scholarship players plus three appointees.

The open tryout is the only way a non scholarship player should be allowed on the team.

Three coaches sons with free passes on one KU team dishonors the merit-driven aspect of The Legacy.

KU basketball is about merit, not appointment.

Appoint these young men to be undergraduate assistant coaches in training.

But it is wrong to take three seats on the bench away from potentially better basketball players enrolled at KU, because three happen to be sons of the coaches.

It is wrong to make 3/5s of the third string free passes.

If KU basketball is going to appoint these three bench slots based on family relationship, then why not appoint Self's daughter, if she wants to play?

Again, it disrespects The Legacy to do it this way.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 2 months ago

I usually agree with Jaybate on many subjects. But, I respectfully tell you that you are wrong on this subject. We are not talking about the 'Third String', we are talking about the 'Fourth String'. These are the kids that learn the Baylor offense (ok bad example), they learn the Texas offense and run it against the first and second string. Then the next practice they are running the OSU offense or full-court pressure defense. These are the kids that push the players in practice, in the weight room, keeps them out of trouble at 2 am and provide a positive mental outlook during the tough times. I don't want to trust these important roles to someone that I have only watch during one or two cattle call walk-on try-outs. I want to know their charactor, their morals, their ethics, the competitive spirit that they bring to the team. Kansas Basketball is not about merit or appontment, it is putting together the best team that can win. And winning is more than meits and cross-overs.

Peace on Jaybate. Rock Chalk always.

John Boyle 2 years, 2 months ago

Name one division one coach who wouldn't let their son walk-on to their program. You can't because it is the right thing to do. If he had given him a scholarship then you might have a beef but not in this situation. I usually agree with you on most subjects but you are just off base on this one.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

At the Self household this past weekend:

Cindy: Bill, do you think Tyler could play at KU? Bill: Play what? Cindy: Basketball, you idiot. Bill: Sure, Robinson has many opportunities. I'm sure his frat ... Cindy: No, for your team. Bill: Yea, right .. what's for dinner? Cindy: I'm serious. Why not? Bill: I'm serious .. Why? Cindy: Because he's your son. Bill: That shouldn't matter. It should be merit. Cindy: Yea, and life's always about merit? Bill: I don't do that. Cindy: Right, Evan Manning? Niko Roberts? Brady Morningstar? Bill: Hey, that's hitting below the belt. You know how I feel about Brady. Cindy: But Tyler's your son. Brady isn't. Bill: Hey, Hey .. that's enough! That's enough! Cindy: With hard work, Tyler could be at least as good as that Milton Doyle you had in for a visit. Bill: No way. He's a diamond in the rough. A sleeper. Cindy: And what is our son? Chopped liver? Bill: Look, Tyler's not a D-1 player. He's not even a JUCO player. Being honest, he wasn't even much of a high school player. Cindy: But it's your team, you make the decisions. What's Zenger going to do? You're the boss. Bill: That's very true, but I just can't do that. I mean most of our walk-ons were standouts. Many could have played at other D-1s. What would people think? Cindy: Who cares what people think? Bill: I'm actually most worried about what those guys at kusports.com will think on the message board. You know that. I am provided much guidance by many of the insightful posters. I need that advise. What if they revolt? Except that damn jayhawkinnebr. He got what was coming to him. He's gone. That's power. Gone! I snap my fingers and he's done. And what was with the cucumber? Cindy: Well, I think it would be a great idea. Bill: What, the cucumber? Cindy: No fool .. Tyler playing at KU. Bill: He can play at KU, just not on my team. Cindy: Bill, I think he can play on your team. I watch the games. He can play. Bill: That sounds ominous. Cindy: I just think that your son has worked hard, and it would be great for you to finally coach him. Bill: Can't I coach his slow pitch softball team? Cindy: Bill ... Bill: Do I have a choice? Cindy: You always have a choice. Bill: That's good, because it ain't ... Cindy: Think about your "choice" .. think hard .. we all have a "choice" .. I have many choices I can make. Bill: What number do you think he'd want?

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry but that wasn't very funny and i feel bad for you having wasted all that time typing that.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree. Last year we had a walk-on abdicate this so-called vaulted position because it was too much work/time. In the BS era we have seen the overall roster fluctuate from between 14 to 17-18, with the number of walk on's from 1 to 4 or 5.

Other than Moody and Teahan (and kinda Wesley), the walk-on's have served as sacrificial 3rd string body parts offering (intense and dedicated) human practice simulations, plus front row support during games.

Are we really gonna bash this whole feel-good element of the college game?

HELLO PEOPLE!!! This is why WE LOVE KU BASKETBALL!!l! C'mon. What happened to FOE??? It must be summer. Bummer.

Welcome Tyler, Evan. All is RIGHT in the world.

cobweb 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree, Bill. Maybe another unemployed journalism major?

John Boyle 2 years, 2 months ago

Not even close to funny.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks .. just in fun. Kind of channeling my inner-Jaybate.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

First, I know you really don't disagree with me. :-)

But what was this "jaybate's rant" stuff?

That was a rant?

ralster, I pulled all my punches. :-)

Seriously, I wrote a long one; then out of respect for Self and his son, and the other young men and coaches involved, I manned-down and posted soft. :-)

What do you think these young men on scholies used to fighting for their positions on the team think about all these coaches kids in their midst?

Its like a lieutenant having informants in a platoon that everyone knows about. :-)

And what about Self's daughter, or one of the other coaches daughters, lacing them up?

Are you ready for that, or not?

Its an appointment after all. No try out. I mean how much heat are Tyler, Evan and Niko really going to put on EJ, Travis and BenMac in practice that one of the coaches daughters could not apply as well?

Honestly, I do not see Niko, Evan and Tyler even getting a hand in the faces of players like EJ, Travis and BenMac, do you? I mean how tight can they guard these guys, and how can they even begin to jump like these D1 players.

I remember playing D1 players at Robinson, when I was in college in the summer. I was 6-2 and 185 and I could grab the rim, but not dunk. I could run well and handle the ball and shoot a lick. I remember picking up and guarding (I use this term loosely) Roger Morningstar and Dale Greenlee for brief moments when the guys guarding them had gotten picked off, and it was like I wasn't even on the floor with them. They could do anything they wanted, wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted. I remember looking at Roger's shoes once, while I was standing up. Hell, when I was guarding them they often just pulled up and goofed. They were Final Four grade players and KU's players today are probably quite a bit better. I can guaranty you that my defense did not make Roger and Dale get better. :-)

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

But I played with some guys in those pick-up games that were 6-5 and 6-6 and 6-7 and Roger and Dale noticed them, even though Roger and Dale were way better. These guys I was with were good high school basketball players that had matured physically while in college, just not to scholarship grade. They "might" have helped Roger and Dale get better as scrubs on the team.

But tell me how Niko, Evan and Tyler are going to get in The Prophet's face in a workout, unless The Prophet has to play blindfolded? The Prophet is playing in another dimension than Evan, Tyler and Niko. He's so fast they can't even foul him. He jumps so high they will be lucky to get a hand in his belly button. Conner Teahan could bother someone because he was 6-5 or 6-6 and could shoot it from Bonner Springs. BenMac and Travis are the same story as EJ. Andrew White will be too. How exactly are these coaches' sons supposed to help our rotation guys get even a little better, if they aren't even in the same dimension?

What is this? Are they like virtual competition? Are they really awesome at basketball video games that somehow improve the eye hand coordination of EJ, BenMac, and Travis?

I am open minded on this. Are these fellows projected to grow taller? Are they really on the D1 bubble talent wise? You know me. I am always for the underdog. I'm just not for the Chihuahua in a pit bull fight.

Requiring minds want to know.

[Note: this is more of a rant. :-) ]

John Boyle 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't be an idiot with your "what about the daughters" comments. It weakens your argument by making it ridiculous thus losing all merit.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you John. You are the voice of reason. And um, did anyone notice the half dozen or so very slightly built, cherub-looking, lightweight end of the Kentucky bench this year? Whoever those guys were, they didn't seem to hurt the starting five.