Monday, June 4, 2012

KU linebacker Jake Farley to transfer to Northern Iowa

Jake Farley, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound sophomore linebacker from Cedar Falls, Iowa, will transfer to Northern Iowa, KU coach Charlie Weis announced Monday.

Jake's father, Mark, is the football coach at UNI.

“Jake met with me on Friday and told me he would like to finish his career playing for his dad. How could I debate that one?" Weis said. “On behalf of the KU program, I wish Jake success and happiness as he returns home to be with his family.”

Farley red-shirted for KU in 2010 and did not see action in 2011.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Kansas both as a member of the football team and academically,” Farley said. “I believe coach Weis has really made a positive impact on the direction of the football program, but I have decided I want to have the chance to play for my dad and have my family watch me play. I appreciate the opportunity I had at KU and wish the team all the best.”

Comments

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

farley farley farley ... afar. (anyone remember that or am i dating myself?)

good luck sir.

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

no, chevy shoots him, we both shot up. why didn't he shoot up? now we'll never find el guapo.

Andy Hess 2 years, 5 months ago

Chuck, your username dates you more than that reference.

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

i got that nickname pledging many moons ago, not really music related though i am a fan of the still rocking chuck berry. just imagine some berry flavored vodka and the rest will come to mind.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 5 months ago

best post ever! A plethora of applause!

hawk316 2 years, 5 months ago

Jake, I think you have made a great decision. UNI is an excellent school with a solid football program. And, of course, you'll have the opportunity to play for your dad. I wish you the very best.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 5 months ago

"UNI is an excellent school" you aren't a real KU fan are you?

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

In terms of football, UNI is a very successful program at the FCS level. Mark Farley has taken UNI to the playoffs in 7 of his 11 seasons and he is a former KU assistant coach which is probably why Jake chose KU in the first place.

hawk316 2 years, 5 months ago

4prez, I was speaking about the overall excellence of the school, not just the football program, which, has also been excellent in the FCS (formerly Div. I-AA).

And yes, I am a real KU fan, but I came to respect and appreciate what UNI offers because of a family member who attended there. Just because I love KU does not mean that I can't appreciate what other schools have to offer.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

I've always been curious. If the person red-shirtted one year and didn't play the current year, I wonder if they have to sit out a year when they transfer. I guess to me, I would say they should be able to play immediately, but I'm guessing that they still have to sit out a year.

Be curious if anyone knows.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe Jake is going to have to sit out a season because he is taking a step down from an FBS school down to an FCS school.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh...I didn't realize that it was FCS.

I'm assuming if it was FBS...then he would have to sit a year, which I wish they would get a second red-shirt year or something.

Thanks

vd 2 years, 5 months ago

Weis should have been truthful with him and told him, if he stayed, he would be a first round draft pick.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 5 months ago

Go on ESPN message boards for ridiculous. Those are just worthless.