Monday, June 4, 2012

KU linebacker Jake Farley to transfer to Northern Iowa

Jake Farley, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound sophomore linebacker from Cedar Falls, Iowa, will transfer to Northern Iowa, KU coach Charlie Weis announced Monday.

Jake's father, Mark, is the football coach at UNI.

“Jake met with me on Friday and told me he would like to finish his career playing for his dad. How could I debate that one?" Weis said. “On behalf of the KU program, I wish Jake success and happiness as he returns home to be with his family.”

Farley red-shirted for KU in 2010 and did not see action in 2011.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Kansas both as a member of the football team and academically,” Farley said. “I believe coach Weis has really made a positive impact on the direction of the football program, but I have decided I want to have the chance to play for my dad and have my family watch me play. I appreciate the opportunity I had at KU and wish the team all the best.”

Comments

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 9 months ago

Go on ESPN message boards for ridiculous. Those are just worthless.

BABBOY 1 year, 10 months ago

I would have posted this in the reply under but no one would see it.

That Billselfforprez guy is an embarrassment to KU and fans in general. For him to knock a classy post by hawk316 is ridicuous..

Good luck to Jake Farley... Decision makes sense to me...

vd 1 year, 10 months ago

Weis should have been truthful with him and told him, if he stayed, he would be a first round draft pick.

JHWKDW 1 year, 10 months ago

Best wishes Farley!That is pretty cool you wanting to go play for your dad!Take care buddy!

Keith Hummel 1 year, 10 months ago

Best Wishes Jake. Hate to see you go but can't blame you for wanting to play for your Dad.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 10 months ago

I've always been curious. If the person red-shirtted one year and didn't play the current year, I wonder if they have to sit out a year when they transfer. I guess to me, I would say they should be able to play immediately, but I'm guessing that they still have to sit out a year.

Be curious if anyone knows.

hawk316 1 year, 10 months ago

Jake, I think you have made a great decision. UNI is an excellent school with a solid football program. And, of course, you'll have the opportunity to play for your dad. I wish you the very best.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

farley farley farley ... afar. (anyone remember that or am i dating myself?)

good luck sir.