Monday, June 4, 2012

Future KU PG boosts stock

Conner Frankamp stands out in AAU scene

Andrew White, right, posted this photo of him, Zach Peters, left, and KU coach Bill Self to Instagram on Sunday, June 3, 2012.

Future Kansas University point guard Conner Frankamp, who earned first-team all-state honors after averaging 32.3 points a game last season for Wichita North High, continues to emerge as a major player nationally on the spring/summer AAU scene.

Frankamp, Rivals.com’s No. 42-ranked player, was named tri-MVP of the Pangos All-America Camp’s “Top 30 Cream of the Crop Showcase” on Sunday in Long Beach, Calif. The 6-foot-1, 160-pound senior shared the award with Stanley Johnson, 6-6, junior, Mater Dei High, Santa Ana, Calif., who is ranked 18th in the Class of 2014, and unranked Zena Edosomwan, 6-8, senior, Harvard Westlake High, North Hollywood, Calif.

“He’s a tremendous three-point shooter who plays with savvy and great confidence. He was one of the top five guards here, if not top three,” tourney organizer Dinos Trigonis said Sunday night, referring to Frankamp.

“I’d say he reminds me a little bit of (Jeff) Boschee, a little bit of (Kirk) Hinrich. He can shoot threes and is good off the bounce. He’s good at creating separation. He worked hard in the drills. A lot of teams would have interest in him (if KU hadn’t landed a commitment last July 17).”

Here’s what others had to say about Frankamps’s performance at Pangos.

Jason Hickman, of MaxPreps, added: “It’s tough to circulate around the gym for even a couple of minutes without hearing a fellow camper or observer mention his name.”

Ryan Silver, coach of Los Angeles Pump N Run Elite, on Twitter, commented: “Kansas commit Conner Frankamp is much better than I thought. He makes everyone better and is a great kid. He was impressive.”

Dave Telep, ESPN, on Twitter: “Conner Frankamp won me over as PG not just shooter. Cliff Alexander has a chance to be nasty.”

Alexander, the most outstanding performer overall at Pangos, is a 6-9 junior from Chicago Curie, who is ranked No. 8 in the Class of 2014.

Frankamp has 1,641 career points. He’s 591 points from passing KU freshman Perry Ellis as all-time leading scorer in Wichita’s City League history.

Frankamp will travel with USA Basketball’s Under 17 team to the Cayman Islands later this month, then compete in the FIBA World Championships in July in Lithuania.

“I can’t wait,” Frankamp told MaxPreps.com. “It was so fun last year and such an honor to put that USA jersey on (for gold-medal winning USA team at the FIBA Americas U16 tourney). To be a part of that team was something I’ll never forget.”

Of his play at Pangos, Frankamp told MaxPreps: “I just wanted to try and get better and play against the best competition. I wanted to get ready for USA Basketball, too. I figured this would be a good tournament for that. I just want to get my game up as much as I can.”

Move-in day: Incoming KU scholarship basketball players Ellis, Andrew White and Zach Peters, plus walk-on Evan Manning moved into Jayhawker Towers on Sunday. White, 6-6 from Charlottesville, Va., proudly posted a picture of him, KU coach Bill Self and roommate Peters (6-9, Prestonwood Christian, Plano, Texas) to Instagram off his Twitter account Sunday.

Ellis, 6-8 from Wichita, will room with Manning, 6-2 out of Free State High and New Hampton Prep School.

Landen Lucas, 6-9 from Portland’s Westview High, will graduate June 11 and arrive at KU a day later. He’ll be rooming with junior Niko Roberts. Anrio Adams, 6-3 from Seattle, who has orally committed to KU, has said on Twitter he’ll arrive at KU on June 28. It’s believed he’ll be a member of the incoming recruiting class as long as he qualifies academically. He has indicated on Twitter and Facebook he should have no problems qualifying.

Another addition could be Milton Doyle, 6-4 from Chicago’s Marshall High, who will graduate on June 9. It’s believed Doyle, who has not made any other campus visits since a mid-May trip to KU, likely will attend KU if he, as expected, qualifies academically.

Doyle and his family members are not commenting publicly on his recruitment at this time.

Shepherd excels: Karviar Shepherd, 6-9 senior from Grace Prep High in Arlington, Texas, who has KU, Louisville, UCLA, LSU, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Tennessee on his list, played well at Pangos.

“Shepherd has always had good hands and played with confidence on the offensive end. Now, he’s catching, turning and facing the defender and going to work with jab steps, jumpers and good decisions. He looked polished and seemed like he was ready to play,” wrote Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

Comments

William Blake 1 year, 10 months ago

Conner is going to surprise some people. He operates like a machine. I'm trying to remember the last time I experienced a player this young with so much developed muscle memory. Oh yeah... never!

I see CS is up to his usual "Brawny Man" summer...

Rock Chalk... and Happy Grilling!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey that Bill Self is a cool dude. But someone tell Cindy to get him some more razor cartridges when she gets back from girls-trip-to-wherever--no doubt she will arrive and very soon rectify the overzealous display of follicular leniency from Wild Bill...

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

For the Gottlieb haters .. a bit from his insider article where he mentions guys to skip and someone to take instead:

1. Don't take Thomas Robinson ... Robinson had an incredible season and, frankly, is a remarkable story. He competes, is a fantastic dunker and has steadily improved his shot-making when facing the basket from 15 to 17 feet. He should have a solid NBA career as a rotation player. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, T-Rob should bring energy and toughness, and he is a winner to boot. But Robinson just kind of overpowered college players, and I don't believe that will translate at the next level. He is a subpar defender, especially on ball-screen defense, and when he puts the ball on the floor for more than one bounce, it makes you nervous about where he's going.

... instead, take Royce White White outplayed Robinson head-to-head in their two matchups this past season, but that is short-sighted in terms of why it would be wise to take White over Robinson. White is a far better ball handler and an elite passer for a big man (albeit one who is short but strong enough to play 4 and some 3), and he is far more comfortable on offense away from the basket. That last element will be key because both White and Robinson will be asked to play more away from the basket in the pros.

White is not the jumper that Robinson is, and he has his anxiety disorder to deal with, but that should not scare NBA folks away. White is widely considered exceptionally bright and has been very open about his disorder. Robinson makes you better as a team with his effort and athleticism, whereas White makes you better by creating easy shots for himself and his teammates. In the NBA world of isolations, White is a far better prospect. He is too strong for thin post players and too quick for the big trees. Cut away the Final Four and player-of-the-year talk that surrounded Robinson and think about who has more of a pro game. I would take White.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Pretties, Yes, But Where's the Hard Pretties?"

Zach appears pretty.

Andrew appears pretty.

Perry appears pretty.

These guys are almost UNC pretty.

Shave the face hair on Perry and he could be an Ermengildo Zegna model.

What? Is this going to b? the All-Pretty Recruiting Class of 2011-12?

Is Self growing facial hair to try to compensate some ugliness for these bathing beauties?

Yea, yea, one's the best high school player in the nation. One's a football and basketball star in Texas. One oozes perimeter talent and length. They are all going to be great playuhs.

Talent is good. Pretty is good.

But we need some ugly too.

Not butt ugly, but junk yard dog aggressive ugly.

Junk yard dog aggressive ugly is really "hard pretty."

We need some hard pretty.

DBlock was hard pretty.

Thomas was hard pretty.

JTRay and Ben Mac are not really part of this class. They are last year's class a year late. So they can't count either way--not pretty, not hard pretty.

How about Landon, Anrio and Milton. Any hard pretties among them?

This is the Big 12 and this is Self Ball. We have to have a few guys in each recruiting class that look like they could run a back hoe in Chiapas or a livestock barge on the Niger, or work on the killing floor in a packing house in Byelorussia.

If we don't have such hard pretties, this class will not be taken seriously when it comes time to grind one out in East Lansing with Ratso's radiation mutants at ten below zero.

What is up here, Billiam? Has Cin finally civilized you? Are Kurtis and Joe and Norm no longer registering high enough testosterone levels to recruit hard pretties with red meat from rutting bulls?

Show me the hard pretty!

:-)

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

1. They should have posted a picture of Frankamp instead of Peters, White, and Bill Self.

2. Conner Frankamp is listed as an sg, not a pg

LAJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

What, no comments yet about the use of "Kansas University"? Manginorh00lz, ukanjhox, et al are slippin'.....

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Tell Mrs. Oak that jaybate will go short this season, if she will heal. This will leave Mr. Oak more time for Mrs. Oak. Patients need small incentives to get better. :-)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Just tuned in...my wife is recovering from surgery. I had no idea she did so much [actually I did but it hits home when you do it all :)]

Comments on the article's picture:

1] Holy crap...for a moment I thought Conner grew 8" in the last month!!! 2] Holy crap...for a moment I thought is that Conner on the right?? 3] Holy crap...who is that crusty old sailor with our recruits?? 4] Bill's facial beard varies from baby smooth to Moses long...but his hair never changes!! 5] The Towers were built while I was in school. In the early 70's, and natural stone and brick were huge design elements...also, you saved a ton of money by eliminating fixing punch-out holes in drywall!! 6] I would suggest Conner focus on his defense his senior year...offense wins the hearts of coeds...defense wins the heart of the head coach!!

Please, someone just shoot me..all I hear in St.Louis is how the SEC is the Second Coming of Christ. I will cheer for anyone playing Missouri...and that includes Kentucky!!!

Tad Shurtz 1 year, 10 months ago

Gary - Regarding Anrio Adams, he tweeted a picture of himself filling out some type of application and indicated they were documents making his decision to KU "official" -- grant-in-aid paperwork, perhaps? Do you know if KU has actually received anything from him?

KGphoto 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill always looks good this time of year. Got his tan and stubble going.

aerohawk 1 year, 10 months ago

So they couldn't find a picture of the guy the article was about?

jhox 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm still not convinced Frankamp will play the point. If he can, that's great, but I believe it is much more likely that most of his time will be spent at the two. When I saw the headline my first thought was, "what point guard has committed?"

I've seen clips and highlight tapes of him, but I've not seen him play in person. In the limited clips I've seen, he looks like a guy who is a tremendous scorer, who can put it in from anywhere, but his midrange game was especially impressive, with a great pull up jumper in traffic. He did remind me of Heinrich in that respect but I didn't see Hinrich like speed and quickness. I'm very anxious to see him play. I do know his AAU team has been doing well this summer, with him leading them.

keith horinek 1 year, 10 months ago

This is an outstanding group coming in. I don't remember another class as talented and/or highly rated. In 1 to 2 years we should be making another deep run in the tournament. Can't wait for BB to start!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Nice camera angle: Peters 5 bricks taller than Self.

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Does Bedore scour the Twitter accounts of KU players on a daily basis?

Jason Keller 1 year, 10 months ago

I like to see pictures of Self standing with recruits for a very odd reason. Some kids or their coaches or parents tend to inflate their size a bit. 6'8 turns into 6'10... Bill Self is every bit of 6'3 so these two clearly bring good size. Peters is a monster.... Wait til' Hudy is through with him.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Must say that the recruits HCBS has coming in over the next two seasons (so far) have been receiving nothing but high accolades. If they're half as good as reported, the Jayhawk Nation is in for trick or treat early. Makes waiting for the forthcoming seasons that much more exciting, and frustrating because of the long wait before we get to witness them on the court. It's sort of like during last season, with all the high expectations for McLemore and Traylor, knowing they were around but unable to help during game times.

How many days till Late Night in the Phog? Something like 163 days?

Rock Chalk to all future Jayhawks !!!!!!

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't it about time we get some better student-athlete housing? The Towers are so run down. I thought I recalled there being some talk about some new housing being built sometime soon. I don't know how much housing plays into recruiting, but it seems like we could have some better places to show off to our recruits than the brick walled Towers.

kayjku 1 year, 10 months ago

Zach Peters....yum! Welcome to KU!

ukanjhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Is Doyle still expected to attend even if he doesn't get offered the scholarship? It doesn't look like Bill's going to give him one.

By the way, Frankamp will be hanging in the rafters one day. OK, that's jumping the gun, but I haven't been this excited about a recruit in a long time. Unless you count Ellis.