Monday, June 4, 2012

Future KU PG boosts stock

Conner Frankamp stands out in AAU scene

Andrew White, right, posted this photo of him, Zach Peters, left, and KU coach Bill Self to Instagram on Sunday, June 3, 2012.

Future Kansas University point guard Conner Frankamp, who earned first-team all-state honors after averaging 32.3 points a game last season for Wichita North High, continues to emerge as a major player nationally on the spring/summer AAU scene.

Frankamp, Rivals.com’s No. 42-ranked player, was named tri-MVP of the Pangos All-America Camp’s “Top 30 Cream of the Crop Showcase” on Sunday in Long Beach, Calif. The 6-foot-1, 160-pound senior shared the award with Stanley Johnson, 6-6, junior, Mater Dei High, Santa Ana, Calif., who is ranked 18th in the Class of 2014, and unranked Zena Edosomwan, 6-8, senior, Harvard Westlake High, North Hollywood, Calif.

“He’s a tremendous three-point shooter who plays with savvy and great confidence. He was one of the top five guards here, if not top three,” tourney organizer Dinos Trigonis said Sunday night, referring to Frankamp.

“I’d say he reminds me a little bit of (Jeff) Boschee, a little bit of (Kirk) Hinrich. He can shoot threes and is good off the bounce. He’s good at creating separation. He worked hard in the drills. A lot of teams would have interest in him (if KU hadn’t landed a commitment last July 17).”

Here’s what others had to say about Frankamps’s performance at Pangos.

Jason Hickman, of MaxPreps, added: “It’s tough to circulate around the gym for even a couple of minutes without hearing a fellow camper or observer mention his name.”

Ryan Silver, coach of Los Angeles Pump N Run Elite, on Twitter, commented: “Kansas commit Conner Frankamp is much better than I thought. He makes everyone better and is a great kid. He was impressive.”

Dave Telep, ESPN, on Twitter: “Conner Frankamp won me over as PG not just shooter. Cliff Alexander has a chance to be nasty.”

Alexander, the most outstanding performer overall at Pangos, is a 6-9 junior from Chicago Curie, who is ranked No. 8 in the Class of 2014.

Frankamp has 1,641 career points. He’s 591 points from passing KU freshman Perry Ellis as all-time leading scorer in Wichita’s City League history.

Frankamp will travel with USA Basketball’s Under 17 team to the Cayman Islands later this month, then compete in the FIBA World Championships in July in Lithuania.

“I can’t wait,” Frankamp told MaxPreps.com. “It was so fun last year and such an honor to put that USA jersey on (for gold-medal winning USA team at the FIBA Americas U16 tourney). To be a part of that team was something I’ll never forget.”

Of his play at Pangos, Frankamp told MaxPreps: “I just wanted to try and get better and play against the best competition. I wanted to get ready for USA Basketball, too. I figured this would be a good tournament for that. I just want to get my game up as much as I can.”

Move-in day: Incoming KU scholarship basketball players Ellis, Andrew White and Zach Peters, plus walk-on Evan Manning moved into Jayhawker Towers on Sunday. White, 6-6 from Charlottesville, Va., proudly posted a picture of him, KU coach Bill Self and roommate Peters (6-9, Prestonwood Christian, Plano, Texas) to Instagram off his Twitter account Sunday.

Ellis, 6-8 from Wichita, will room with Manning, 6-2 out of Free State High and New Hampton Prep School.

Landen Lucas, 6-9 from Portland’s Westview High, will graduate June 11 and arrive at KU a day later. He’ll be rooming with junior Niko Roberts. Anrio Adams, 6-3 from Seattle, who has orally committed to KU, has said on Twitter he’ll arrive at KU on June 28. It’s believed he’ll be a member of the incoming recruiting class as long as he qualifies academically. He has indicated on Twitter and Facebook he should have no problems qualifying.

Another addition could be Milton Doyle, 6-4 from Chicago’s Marshall High, who will graduate on June 9. It’s believed Doyle, who has not made any other campus visits since a mid-May trip to KU, likely will attend KU if he, as expected, qualifies academically.

Doyle and his family members are not commenting publicly on his recruitment at this time.

Shepherd excels: Karviar Shepherd, 6-9 senior from Grace Prep High in Arlington, Texas, who has KU, Louisville, UCLA, LSU, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Tennessee on his list, played well at Pangos.

“Shepherd has always had good hands and played with confidence on the offensive end. Now, he’s catching, turning and facing the defender and going to work with jab steps, jumpers and good decisions. He looked polished and seemed like he was ready to play,” wrote Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

Comments

ukanjhox 2 years, 3 months ago

Is Doyle still expected to attend even if he doesn't get offered the scholarship? It doesn't look like Bill's going to give him one.

By the way, Frankamp will be hanging in the rafters one day. OK, that's jumping the gun, but I haven't been this excited about a recruit in a long time. Unless you count Ellis.

omng392 2 years, 2 months ago

Me too.. I'm not sure who I'm more excited to see Ellis or Frankamp

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 2 months ago

That's funny! I haven't been this excited about a guy since the other guy also coming in this fall!!! I'm with you...just busting your chops a little!

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

Count me in that company, as well. I'm really looking forward to Frankamp putting on the KU jersey and draining lots of threes. I'm actually pleased also to learn that Doyle may still be coming to Lawrence. From what I read, it sounds like he may really be a sleeper.

kayjku 2 years, 3 months ago

Zach Peters....yum! Welcome to KU!

Jack Rivers 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with kayjku, and I am not a female. Jayhawk nation is a diverse one.

bigjay83 2 years, 2 months ago

If there is nothing wrong with it if the poster is male, why do you "hope" he or she is female?

Or I suppose you were just quoting "Seinfeld" for the humor to hide your homophobia?

Har-de-har. Hilarious.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 2 months ago

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I spent two enjoyable years living at the Towers my Soph. and Jr. years. They were nice at the time, although the kitchens, if you could call them that, left a lot to be desired. The apartments weren't spacious, but were accommodating. The best part, if you faced towards the North and were high enough, was the view into the Pi Phi house windows across the way. And it was nice mixing quarters, most of the time, with the football and BB jocks. (I remember a time when a certain football player, not to mention any names but his nickname was the Centralia Freight Train, was rumored to be responsible for ripping the rubber door stopper loose on one of the elevators after a night's partying. Or maybe that was his baby brother?)

All that was 35 - 37 years ago, or so, and knowing how age can factor into the housing formula, I can imagine the Towers would seem pretty dreary after that many years have passed by. Especially, being located at the bottom of the hill.

One other thing. When Coach Self extended his contract a few years ago, I believe one of the things he requested/demanded was to upgrade the BB players's housing facilities. The problem may be availability of land nearby to build a new structure. They would probably want any new quarters to be within a short walking distance to AFH. And not far from the main campus.

Anyway, ukanjhox, I would agree that new housing should be, and probably is, a priority on Coach Self's want list.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

PS. The picture above, of Peters, Self and White, looks like it was taken inside the Towers. Those bricks look a little familiar. (?)

MinnesotaJay 2 years, 3 months ago

John or Junior, no doubt (the elevator)!

Tom Longhofer 2 years, 3 months ago

35-37 years ago? Must have been Billy 'cuz Junior and John were long gone. John may have been back for a visit, though.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, my age is catching up to me. I graduated 37 years ago, in '75. So, my Soph year would have been ''72 - '73. Which makes it 39 - 40 years ago. I do know that John played while I attended KU. Because KU played a football game vs Nebraska (which might have been my freshman year) in which NU was ahead 10 to 0. Then KU roared ahead 20 to 10, but ended up losing the game. Riggins made a memorable touchdown run (of about fifty yards or more) in which he ran through the Cornhuskers, knocking players right and left, losing his helmet halfway through the run. If I remember correctly, he scored the touchdown putting KU up 20 to 10 on that play. The details are a little sketchy after so many years.

Luke Kay 2 years, 2 months ago

I will have to ask Bill if any of this sounds familiar next time I see him. He and my father are great friends and its not terribly difficult to get old stories out of either of them.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

During the time you mentioned, the towers were new. But they put 4 players in one of those apartments ... now, I'm pretty sure it's just 2.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

The Towers were first built in 1969 or 1970. If I'm not mistaken, Bud Adams (Phillips Petroleum?) was involved with financing the project ... his son, Gary, played safety for the Jayhawks. Conveniently located within view of the Pi Phi house (if those walls could talk!)

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Ha Ha. The Centralia reference caught my eye. Yes, John was certainly back on campus from time to time when he was a Jet. I was walking around the Tower area my freshmen year and he pulled up alongside on his motorcycle and offered a ride. At first I said no, but he was persistent. I finally agreed but, "only if I can wear your helmet." I still had no idea who he was.

The LJW had recently run photos of the evolution of his hairstyles. When he removed his helmet to reveal the hair of the month - a Mohawk - I instantly recognized him. Didn't know whether to be flattered, embarrassed, or intimidated. But the ride back to Corbin was memorable, for sure. And Riggo always made me laugh.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

Each of the Towers have undergone renovations over the past few years. While still not the most aesthetically appealing place to live, they are much nicer than they were prior to the renovations.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, lets give kids who are guaranteed 5 years of a college education absolutely free nicer places to live. I love KU basketball, paid a mini-fortune for me to see them in New Orleans, but get tired of seeing these kids being treated as someone too good to live in modest housing.

As for recruiting do we want a kid who chooses a school based on the accommodations? Probably not.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I would say that we already have our answer. You can be sure that if the housing was an issue to coach Self in recruiting, it would already be taken care of.

Dan Cook 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach still considers them an issue. The practice facility was priority one and the improvements to the Towers were priority two. I believe I have heard him say that new living quarters are planned in the coming years.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

One would think they could renovate the towers in the same fashion as the other dorms. Shut one tower down at a time and totally redo it. No need to find a new location, just upgrade what you already have.

Stan Unruh 2 years, 2 months ago

The portion of the towers, where most of the basketball team lives, was nicely upgraded 3-4 years ago. It's nice.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

Unless I am mistaken, after we won the NC in 2008, better housing was one of HCBS's big issues. Shortly thereafter, KU renovated at least one of the towers. I'm guessing the renovations were pretty nice, but I haven't been in the towers in many years, so I really couldn't say for sure. If we haven't heard anything about it the last four years, it must not be an issue.

Eric Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

I was living in the Towers the year we won the championship in 2008, in Building D, the football players' building. At the time Building C was being renovated, and that was normally the one the basketball players stayed in. For free housing it's pretty nice, especially only having one other roommate. I had 3.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Must say that the recruits HCBS has coming in over the next two seasons (so far) have been receiving nothing but high accolades. If they're half as good as reported, the Jayhawk Nation is in for trick or treat early. Makes waiting for the forthcoming seasons that much more exciting, and frustrating because of the long wait before we get to witness them on the court. It's sort of like during last season, with all the high expectations for McLemore and Traylor, knowing they were around but unable to help during game times.

How many days till Late Night in the Phog? Something like 163 days?

Rock Chalk to all future Jayhawks !!!!!!

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

I like to see pictures of Self standing with recruits for a very odd reason. Some kids or their coaches or parents tend to inflate their size a bit. 6'8 turns into 6'10... Bill Self is every bit of 6'3 so these two clearly bring good size. Peters is a monster.... Wait til' Hudy is through with him.

Eric Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

After Tyshawn's debacle, I'm sure most sports news outlets have dedicated people to follow players' Twitter feeds, hehe.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Nice camera angle: Peters 5 bricks taller than Self.

keith horinek 2 years, 3 months ago

This is an outstanding group coming in. I don't remember another class as talented and/or highly rated. In 1 to 2 years we should be making another deep run in the tournament. Can't wait for BB to start!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

Why wait 1-2 years! Let's keep this thing rolling based on lessons learned this year.

addlime 2 years, 2 months ago

Wright (8), Chalmers (12), Rush (13), Downs (28) Referred to as the "Fab Four" when they arrived on campus in 2005

This class is great, but no comparison in my book.

addlime 2 years, 2 months ago

To be fair, I'm bet you are including BMac and Traylor in this years class, and that does make it a lot closer :)

Ok, I'm super psyched too! Hope we are deep enough at guard.

Brian Conrad 2 years, 2 months ago

Downs ... what a flop.. pitiful.. Mario the top... but Ellis , McClemore , White with returning Withey , EJ , Travis well to much to look forward too.. add Conner and couple more top recruits the next year... well setting up like 07 08 wooo hooo

jhox 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm still not convinced Frankamp will play the point. If he can, that's great, but I believe it is much more likely that most of his time will be spent at the two. When I saw the headline my first thought was, "what point guard has committed?"

I've seen clips and highlight tapes of him, but I've not seen him play in person. In the limited clips I've seen, he looks like a guy who is a tremendous scorer, who can put it in from anywhere, but his midrange game was especially impressive, with a great pull up jumper in traffic. He did remind me of Heinrich in that respect but I didn't see Hinrich like speed and quickness. I'm very anxious to see him play. I do know his AAU team has been doing well this summer, with him leading them.

Robert Brock 2 years, 2 months ago

Frankamp will be an excellent-shooting combo and the point guard will be a lightening-quick, ball handler who can set up plays and pass. Out of the Class of 2013, the one who fits the description is Anthony Barber.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

jhox: I'm not sure if you have seen Frankamp play lately, but he seems to be getting better and better with a little chip on his shoulder. You may very well be right about him playing the PG spot, but one thing I think national scouts are starting to figure out (Telep) is that CF is making them eat their words right now (The Telep and CF retweets apparently got CF fired up).

I think this is one kid you don't want to doubt or "Challenge". Actually, I hope it keeps happening because the kid keeps improving and those doubting him............he keeps making look foolish. Personality, drive, attitude, work ethic..........I see Hinrich through and through. Games are different, which is fine, but I like his Personality.

What's amazing is how young he is for his class. I believe he will just be turning 18 by the time he reaches KU's campus next summer. I think his b-day is this month or next.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

I've not doubted him as a player. I think he's going to be great. I have a close friend who has seen a lot of him, and who knows basketball, and he said the kid is for real, and has been the best player at most of the AAU tournaments he's played in. I've not seen him in person, only on video and clips. I'm not suggesting he's slow, either. It looks like he has a deceptively quick first step. I just know Self likes fast point guards who can defend ultra quick guards. Time will tell if he can start at the 1 at KU. I have no doubt he'll be a factor for KU, the only question I have is will he be able to play the 1.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Love the shot, love his attitude. Does anyone know how tall his parents are? I hope he is still growing but up and out. Hinrich was around 6-3" correct? Every little bit helps.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

jhox -It sounds like you have a little Ryan Silver in you.

No reason he can't be an ultra-quick 1, unless we're profiling.

aerohawk 2 years, 2 months ago

So they couldn't find a picture of the guy the article was about?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

yu missed the part about moving in?

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Bill always looks good this time of year. Got his tan and stubble going.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. He's a rather photogenic dude. Almost always takes a good picture, even when he's not trying.

Tad Shurtz 2 years, 2 months ago

Gary - Regarding Anrio Adams, he tweeted a picture of himself filling out some type of application and indicated they were documents making his decision to KU "official" -- grant-in-aid paperwork, perhaps? Do you know if KU has actually received anything from him?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Just tuned in...my wife is recovering from surgery. I had no idea she did so much [actually I did but it hits home when you do it all :)]

Comments on the article's picture:

1] Holy crap...for a moment I thought Conner grew 8" in the last month!!! 2] Holy crap...for a moment I thought is that Conner on the right?? 3] Holy crap...who is that crusty old sailor with our recruits?? 4] Bill's facial beard varies from baby smooth to Moses long...but his hair never changes!! 5] The Towers were built while I was in school. In the early 70's, and natural stone and brick were huge design elements...also, you saved a ton of money by eliminating fixing punch-out holes in drywall!! 6] I would suggest Conner focus on his defense his senior year...offense wins the hearts of coeds...defense wins the heart of the head coach!!

Please, someone just shoot me..all I hear in St.Louis is how the SEC is the Second Coming of Christ. I will cheer for anyone playing Missouri...and that includes Kentucky!!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Co-sign on item #1!

I opened the article and sat there staring dumbfoundedly as I tried to figure out how Self was shorter than Frankamp. The best part was all the deductions I went through in my brain...

First, it was elation: [Holy crap! I didn't know Connor was so big! He's gonna be impossible to guard!! The white Lebron James!!!!]

Followed by disappointment: [Oh, the article notes he's only 6'1"...]

Followed quickly by confusion: [But wait, didn't Self play ball in college? Surely, he's closer in height to a 6'1" kid than that, right?]

And then, epiphany: [I know!!! I'll read the image caption! Eureka!]

All these Caucasian kids look the same to me. I keed, I keed--I'm Caucasian as well. :-)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Oakville - here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery for your wife. For her sake, and for yours!!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Tell Mrs. Oak that jaybate will go short this season, if she will heal. This will leave Mr. Oak more time for Mrs. Oak. Patients need small incentives to get better. :-)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

WOW, JB...I'll get out the pogo stick..heck, a little ole hysterectomy shouldn't slow down anyone!! Only kidding...if you go short, some of our fellow posters will have nothing to bitch about. :)

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

There will always be the track around the football field debate and something about the name of school being wrong or something along those lines.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

What, no comments yet about the use of "Kansas University"? Manginorh00lz, ukanjhox, et al are slippin'.....

Steve Kubler 2 years, 2 months ago

They are all still foaming at the mouth from the misused picture! :)

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

1. They should have posted a picture of Frankamp instead of Peters, White, and Bill Self.

2. Conner Frankamp is listed as an sg, not a pg

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

1. They'd just run the exact same picture they always run.

2. Conner is listed as a pg at rivals. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Conner-Frankamp-111888

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Alright, being versatile is good for a guard. Imagine how bad of shape we would have been in this past year if Elijah couldn't have played both guard spots.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Pretties, Yes, But Where's the Hard Pretties?"

Zach appears pretty.

Andrew appears pretty.

Perry appears pretty.

These guys are almost UNC pretty.

Shave the face hair on Perry and he could be an Ermengildo Zegna model.

What? Is this going to b? the All-Pretty Recruiting Class of 2011-12?

Is Self growing facial hair to try to compensate some ugliness for these bathing beauties?

Yea, yea, one's the best high school player in the nation. One's a football and basketball star in Texas. One oozes perimeter talent and length. They are all going to be great playuhs.

Talent is good. Pretty is good.

But we need some ugly too.

Not butt ugly, but junk yard dog aggressive ugly.

Junk yard dog aggressive ugly is really "hard pretty."

We need some hard pretty.

DBlock was hard pretty.

Thomas was hard pretty.

JTRay and Ben Mac are not really part of this class. They are last year's class a year late. So they can't count either way--not pretty, not hard pretty.

How about Landon, Anrio and Milton. Any hard pretties among them?

This is the Big 12 and this is Self Ball. We have to have a few guys in each recruiting class that look like they could run a back hoe in Chiapas or a livestock barge on the Niger, or work on the killing floor in a packing house in Byelorussia.

If we don't have such hard pretties, this class will not be taken seriously when it comes time to grind one out in East Lansing with Ratso's radiation mutants at ten below zero.

What is up here, Billiam? Has Cin finally civilized you? Are Kurtis and Joe and Norm no longer registering high enough testosterone levels to recruit hard pretties with red meat from rutting bulls?

Show me the hard pretty!

:-)

79ictjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you say something about going short? ;-)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

For the Gottlieb haters .. a bit from his insider article where he mentions guys to skip and someone to take instead:

1. Don't take Thomas Robinson ... Robinson had an incredible season and, frankly, is a remarkable story. He competes, is a fantastic dunker and has steadily improved his shot-making when facing the basket from 15 to 17 feet. He should have a solid NBA career as a rotation player. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, T-Rob should bring energy and toughness, and he is a winner to boot. But Robinson just kind of overpowered college players, and I don't believe that will translate at the next level. He is a subpar defender, especially on ball-screen defense, and when he puts the ball on the floor for more than one bounce, it makes you nervous about where he's going.

... instead, take Royce White White outplayed Robinson head-to-head in their two matchups this past season, but that is short-sighted in terms of why it would be wise to take White over Robinson. White is a far better ball handler and an elite passer for a big man (albeit one who is short but strong enough to play 4 and some 3), and he is far more comfortable on offense away from the basket. That last element will be key because both White and Robinson will be asked to play more away from the basket in the pros.

White is not the jumper that Robinson is, and he has his anxiety disorder to deal with, but that should not scare NBA folks away. White is widely considered exceptionally bright and has been very open about his disorder. Robinson makes you better as a team with his effort and athleticism, whereas White makes you better by creating easy shots for himself and his teammates. In the NBA world of isolations, White is a far better prospect. He is too strong for thin post players and too quick for the big trees. Cut away the Final Four and player-of-the-year talk that surrounded Robinson and think about who has more of a pro game. I would take White.

Eric Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

I used to sorta like Gottlieb, but the more I read of his writing and the more I listen to his radio show, the more I realize he has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Bottom line why Gottlieb's arguments make no sense, he says TRob is more of a jumper but apparently doesn't think the ability to get off the floor counts in the NBA. He says TRob just kind of overpowered college players, but goes on about how strong White is. Well if he's so strong why didn't he just "overpower" college players? TRob and the team worked to get him good post position and he confused other teams on what he was going to do once he got the ball because he is so quick for his size and has worked hard on footwork and post moves. White is good, he's not as tall and long, doesn't jump as high, isn't as refined (except for ball handling) and Gottlieb basically called him a tweener, but for some reason pick him over TRob? I find it upsetting that people don't think TRob can play defense just because he wasn't an aggressive shot blocker. His defensive reb% had to be off the charts (unless the charts actually go to 100% I suppose), he's plenty quick to defend NBA 4's, he has the hops to contest shots, his gambling for steals started to pay off come tournament time, and he's played against a truck load of NBA talent in practice at KU and on the court. Don't get me wrong, White and PJIII are both potentially better picks, who knows, but White might not have the length/hops to get it done in the NBA. He also didn't have to put up with being flat out shoved on every catch in the post. If you're taking PJIII as a wing you should rethink it. As a post player he could be an amazing scorer, but we don't know 'cause he wanted to take 12-15 ft jumpers all game every game and didn't hit the offensive glass. So unless you're an NBA GM having seen a bunch of private workouts and a guy completely fits your vision for the team, the safe bet is definitely TRob.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for posting this. A very interesting read, but here's my take on Royce v. Thomas:

White is definitely the more versatile offensive player, but is that enough? Because at the end of the day, it's not just about which one is a better offensive prospect, but which one has more skills that will translate to the NBA, and to what degree.

This goes back to the argument I made on the original article that talked about Gottlieb's ranking of Robinson. It's not just about being a better "all around" player, it's about having skills that make you stand out in the NBA. Once you get to that level, pretty much everyone is an "all around" player to some degree. Obviously players specialize to provide what's of most value to their team, but I think most players are probably pretty skilled at all aspects of the game, given that they are the highest level of professionals.

Certainly White is a more versatile offensive player, but I don't know if he has any "elite" individual skills. Robinson, for all his other shortcomings, is an elite rebounder. Robinson can come in and immediately have a defined and absolutely vital role in the NBA. There have been oodles of highly-successful "rebounders on pogo-stick legs" in the history of the NBA. White's success will depend a great deal on the situation in which he lands. His best bet in the NBA is as a sort of "point forward", but that's not exactly the most common position--not all teams have use for that kind of roleplayer.

Even though White is better than Robinson offensively, I don't think his offensive skill set translates to anything special in the NBA. He is a big guy who can dribble and pass reasonably well. In order to stick in the NBA, he either needs to be some kind of amazing offensive talent (think a level below Kevin Durant), or he needs to be able to mix it up in the paint like most guys his size. I think phogphan2000 has White labeled perfectly: he's a "tweener".

Oh yeah, and he's a terrible free throw shooter. That sort of makes his niche as a point forward somewhat irrelevant. You have to be able to hit FTs at a reasonable clip if you expect to have the ball in your hands for any offensive initiation in the NBA.