Friday, June 1, 2012

2006-2007 Jayhawks to be enshrined in KU Hall of Fame

The 2006-07 Kansas University men’s basketball team will be inducted into the Kansas Athletics Hall of Fame during the Oct. 26-27 K-Club and Homecoming weekend.

Bill Self’s 33-5 squad — which won Big 12 regular-season and postseason tourney titles and advanced to the Elite Eight — will be enshrined with KU soccer player Holly Gault and track and field All-American Egor Agafonov in a ceremony on Oct. 26 in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics. The group will be introduced during KU’s Oct. 27 homecoming football game against Texas.

The ‘06-07 Jayhawks were led by first-team All-Big 12 pick Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers and Julian Wright, who averaged 13.8, 12.2 and 12.0 points per game respectively. Their teammates: Darrell Arthur, Brennan Bechard, Jeremy Case, Sherron Collins, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Matt Kleinmann, Brady Morningstar, Russell Robinson, Rodrick Stewart and Brad Witherspoon. Using the same core group, KU went 37-3 the following season and won the national title.

Gault, a native of Spring Hill, earned first-team All-America mention in 2004 while leading the Jayhawks to the Big 12 title. With Gault in the backfield, the Jayhawks set a program record, allowing 13 goals total.

Agafonov, a native of Togliatti, Russia, won 2007 and ‘08 indoor national championships in the weight throw, joining Jim Ryun, Leo Bookman and Karl Salb as the only Jayhawks to repeat as indoor national champions. He won three-consecutive Big 12 titles in both the weight and hammer throws. He’s KU’s record holder in the hammer with a heave of 233-0.

The Kansas Athletics Hall of Fame was established to “formally recognize outstanding individual and team achievements, and to preserve the heritage and tradition of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program.” The Hall of Fame display is located in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics.

More on draft: ESPN’s Doug Gottlieb has ranked former KU players Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor the Nos. 15 and 30-rated prospects in the upcoming NBA Draft.

“A monster in college, Robinson is likely a rotation guy in the NBA at worst, a starting power forward at best. He has stretched his range to 20 feet and will finish above the rim, but he doesn’t have the fluidity to be special in face-up opportunities in the league,” Gottlieb wrote on ESPN.com.

“Kansas fans can save their hate mail for my evaluation of Robinson, as I wrote similar things about Tyler Hansbrough when he came out. Robinson was a great (not just good, but great) college player, but the NBA game turns him into a 4, so he is likely a starter on a bad team and a rotation guy on a good team,” Gottlieb added.

Of Taylor, he wrote: “Taylor is an athletic scoring point guard who can guard and makes an ideal backup in the league.”

Robinson on Twitter responded to some of the mock drafts that have had him as low as No. 5 overall.

“I could care less where im at on any of your draft boards these the Same so called experts WHO didnt even know i exsisted a yr ago smh Lol,” he wrote on Twitter.

After the draft lottery on Wednesday, he told draftexpress.com: “It’s not the fact I’m angry, not at all. I’m here. I’m in the conversation. As long as I’m in the conversation (to be No. 1 overall), I’m blessed.”

Asked what he thinks of perhaps playing in Charlotte, which has No. 2 pick, he said: “As long as it’s got an NBA patch on the jersey, it sounds good.”

Lucas update: Incoming KU freshman forward Landen Lucas tells JayhawkSlant.com he will report to campus for summer school on June 12. The unranked player from Westview High in Portland, Ore., who averaged 19.3 points and 13.5 rebounds his senior year, said he’ll wear No. 33 at KU.

As far as his official height and weight ... “Flat footed, I’m 6-9 1/4 and with shoes on I’m 6-10. I stepped on a scale a couple of days ago and I was 244. The most I’ve weighed is around 250, or a little more. I’d like to stay around my current weight, but just change the kind of weight that it is and have less body fat,” he said.

Comments

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 2 months ago

Gotlieb, LOL. His ability to recognize talent is only rivaled by his ability to recognize the right way to wear basketball shorts.

Cole Hogan 7 years, 2 months ago

Just talked to Rodrick (no, really, I'm friends with him on Facebook) and he didn't even know he was being inducted in to the KU H.O.F.! How can they release this information publicly without first notifying the players that are being honored?! That just seems wrong...

RJ King 7 years, 2 months ago

Fran Frachilla (sp?) has T-Robb going 2nd to the Bobcats. Ugh. No matter - trades will change the landscape for the first 24 hours after the draft anyway. Other than Davis, it's like picking a horserace.

Is Lucas at all comparable to Sullinger?? (potential / build, abilities, etc.) I know their HS rankings are not even close, but just wondering based on film etc.

Any news of Anrio's eligibility???

T-Robb: please stay off Twitter. It's a grenade. Drop it before something explodes.

Andy Hess 7 years, 2 months ago

Lucas is a bit taller than Sullinger. Sully is a 6-8 PF. Lucas is a 6-10 Center. Their game is not the same.

Alex Peekeaton 7 years, 2 months ago

The article a few days talking about TRob as potentially the #1 pick and the responses from the article had to the one of the most delusional reads I've had in a long long time.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 2 months ago

Well you have to like Lucas' size coming in next year. Get stronger, learn the game, practice hard, you'll blow away expectations big fella.

WilburNether 7 years, 2 months ago

It's not at all clear why a team that made it to the Elite 8 and lost belongs in a Hall of Fame.

Let's face it: This is not about objective evaluation of a team; it's a KUAD promo thing.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

"In Which Doogie Godlove Betrays He Fails to Put a Premium on the Getting Better Gift"

Doogie Godlove is my new nickname for Doug Gottlieb. Why Doogie Godlove? Well, because Doogie is a name that conveys a certain amount of smarminess that Doug exudes, and because Gottlieb--one of those good, solid, but sometimes a bit amusingly ironic German names (like Schecklegruber, or Schiesskopf)--translates roughly as god (gott) and love (liebe). And doesn't it take a god to love a smarmy broadcaster and guard that could not get better at shooting free throws in college, or the NBA?

But enough about nicknames. Let's get to Doogie's take on our very own Thomas Robinson aka TRob.

Doogie Godlove's take on TRob does not seem unfair for forecasting TRob's first NBA season. Great college basketball player. Starter on a bad team. Rotation guy on a good one. It seems the probabilities would be with Doogie if he were to apply this assessment to any lottery pick.

But if Doogie Godlove were saying this were the best TRob could hope for in his career, well, then that's an opinion riddled with uncertainty, and I think Thomas could prove him wrong--not will, but could.

Why, why, why would Doogie Godlove not just doubt our beloved Thomas' potential to be more that a starter on a bad team/a rotation guy on a good team, which even I have done at times, but go a step farther and lay down what appears an Old Testament kind of judgement: Thomas, thou shalt not "ever" be better than a starter on a bad team, a rotation guy on a good team."

I can only guess at this, but if Doogie Godlove can lay down Old Testament kinds of laws of how good someone can be, well, then I don't see why I can't weigh in with some probabilistic speculations about Doogie.

I speculate that Doogie Godlove probably doesn't place much premium on TRob's ability to "get better," because Doogie probably thought he had that ability and it did not take him far in the L.

Every athlete (and every person) likes to think he can work and get better, as well as the next person can. But in the heart of heart of most players, and persons, they are, or soon become, prisoners of the experience of their own talent. Very soon the best most can do is play up to the ability that their talent permits. Very soon they can not actually go out and add new parts to their games that make them sharply tougher to beat. Very soon, they can only get just a little better by "getting better" at what they already can do.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

TRob has a ton of raw physical ability and he has quite a bit of mental toughness. And he has an innate sense of elegance of performance. Most NBA lottery players appear to have these qualities.

But what most NBA lottery players lack is the ability to get better steadily in increments large enough to become sharply better, not just a little better.

Player after player down through the years supports the following: a very few guys possess a vastly greater ability to get better than most players possess.

Like shooting, or jumping, or anticipating, the ability to get better is not an evenly distributed ability among players.

Thomas has proven in three years that with good coaching (and remember large NBA salaries enable an NBA player to hire about as much good coaching for themselves as they can stand), he can "get better" in more and larger increments than any other player that I can recall. Thomas came farther from his freshman performance level to his senior performance level than most players do.

Persons, Doogie Godlove probably among them, underestimate how far it is from "can't-walk-and-chew-gum" as a freshman, to an NBA lottery pick as a junior.

Doogie never got sharply better as a free throw shooter that I recall.

In contrast, TRob went from a free throw shooter as bad as Doogie Godlove was to being a slightly above average free throw shooter.

There may be a tendency in Doogie Godlove to comprehend inadequately this ability to get better in TRob, simply because Doogie lacked it.

It takes a lot of work to understand another mind set. Its harder than recognizing someone else is taller, or jumps higher. Mind sets are elusive things, especially when one has to view them through a different mind set.

I have put in some time thinking about TRob's getting better ability. I'm not so sure Doogie has.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

Doogie no doubt tried to become a better free throw shooter when he played, but its my hypothesis that the Doogster was not given the get better genes in the large amino acid quantities that TRob was. I suspect this, because TRob got better at holing the apple uncontested from 15, whereas Doogie Godlove did not.

But the most noteworthy thing about TRob is that he did not just become a better free throw shooter. He became a better dunker. He became a better back to the basket shooter. He became a better trey shooter. He got better at not fouling. He got better at guarding his position. He got better at dribbling. And he got more fluid in his movements each year he played in college.

I mention that last point about fluidity, because Doogie Godlove says TRob lacks the fluidity to be a great NBA player. Doogie's assertion about seems to me to betray exactly what Doogie does not understand about TRob. If it becomes clear to TRob that he needs to become more fluid, then he will work relentlessly and become more fluid.

There are not a lot of great players that come to my mind, when I think about who is as exceptional at getting better as Thomas has been.

But here is one: Michael Jordan went from being cut from his junior high team to relentlessly getting better until the day he quit. I am not saying TRob is as good as his high-ness. But I'm saying they both made big big improvements and they both kept making them, though it remains to be seen if TRob has the will to keep getting better for a career, or not.

Keith Kienzle 7 years, 2 months ago

Agree with your argument, but yesterday I was watching high school videos of Thomas taking it coast to coast and I think that maybe his dribbling skills got rusty his first two years at KU because he wasn't asked/allowed to do that... he looked really fluid on some of those takes in H.S. and I think he knocked the rust off last year (though at times it was a little scary).

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

If I may digress a moment, and what would a jaybate post be without a digression, I notice that MiJor cannot translate this skill into being an executive capable of producing winners, so there are limits to such abilities. But Mr. Jordan has been able to translate it into rising from a player, to a GM to an owner and there aren't any other players that I recall pulling that off. Bird and Kupchak and KU's Kevin got to GM. Bird climbed to coach, GM, and President, but I don't think he's made owner yet. But enough digressing.

The point here is that there really are players (and persons) who just have waaaaaaaay more of the getting better gene than the rest of us. Maybe its not even right to call it a gene. Maybe it is a mind set that they have figured out. I don't know, because I don't have as much of this mind set, and/or gene as they do and I confess to be slightly confounded by it. I have some, but not quite enough to walk around confident I get it.

On the other hand, I get it enough to recognize it in TRob and that seems a wee bit more comprehension than Doogie Godlove evidences.

Many persons look at the NBA and only see how awesomely talented and skilled the men playing there are. They don't view the NBA as a mountain to be scaled. They view it as a monolith that one is either good enough to jump up on, or not.

There is no doubt one has to be good enough to jump up to the first ledge to start climbing. But as with most profession, from that first ledge, the difference between the greats and the merely good is the ability to relentlessly climb, to tirelessly find the next foothold, to learn how and where to pound in the next peton.

So far, TRob looks like a pretty good mountain climber to me.

mattiesdad 7 years, 2 months ago

Our very own Paul Pierce may be a decent comparison here in terms of getting better. Who thought he'd give a run a being the Celtics all time leading scorer when he left Mt. Oread? He was good and talented, but I bet no one thought he could become an elite player for the elite franchise. TRob would be wise to spend some time with PP and pick his brain.

Hank Cross 7 years, 2 months ago

Pierce was a flat-out stud who could post-up, drive, and shoot from the outside. It's too bad Roy couldn't figure out that he was the best player on the team.

addlime 7 years, 2 months ago

Agree entirely! I think a lot of us saw way more potential in the Truth than the coaching staff. Jacque Vaughn on the cover of SI confused the issue even more with the media. I am still shocked that Pierce fell all the way to the Celts at 9. Couldn't believe it and still can't. I'll never forget Pierce draining a three in his last game at AFH and the crowd chanting "one more year". Yeah, right! He was only there to make a run with what I still think is the best KU team of my lifetime.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

mattiesdad,

I thought about Paul Pierce when I was writing my post, but did not use him as an example, because he was so darned good out of the box at KU. Paul could start and be a quiet star his first season. I picked Jordan instead, because he was cut from his junior high team and so had to come quite aways early on. But Jordan was good out of the box in college, so he also was not a very elegant example either.

But as pros, Jordan and Pierce have kept getting better and would certainly due as examples for Thomas to model in the pros.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate, "I picked Jordan instead, because he was cut from his junior high team and so had to come quite aways early on. But Jordan was good out of the box in college, so he also was not a very elegant example either. "

There is no evidence that Jordan tried for the BBall team in Junior High, let alone getting cut.

In High School , he tried for the varsity team but only made the junior varsity, as it was customary for sophomores at the time. He was the star of the JV, went to become the star of the varsity team, and made the McDonald All-American team as a senior. Of course he was good "out of the box" in college; he was a superstar in High School.The legend that he was cut from the varsity teams is just a myth.

yates33333 7 years, 2 months ago

Since Gottlieb was a former Big 12 player I hoped he would succeed as a commentator. He has, but not because of his accuracy or ability. If what a person predicts is the judge of his ability to analyze Gottlieb is a flop. Not necessarily in this matter alone, but in many predictions he has made that were far from what happened.

If Robinson is going to have a problem it will be because he isn't as tall as the programs say. He is strong and can learn to hold his position under the basket better. He may well be another Charles Barkley. Hopefully in basketball ability, but not with Barkley's mouth and ego. TRob already shoots as accurately as Barkley did.

Back to Gottlieb's success. He must be a relative of ESPN's CEO or owner.

BTW, jaybate. Right on again.

jhox 7 years, 2 months ago

Gottleib used to at least watch college basketball. I don't know what he's doing these days but he clearly doesn't watch many games. Even in the national championship game Anthony Davis had, at best, the second best game of any player on the floor. Heck, even Withey had a game comparable to Davis. I would take Davis first in the draft, but Robinson is definitely in my top five. To compare him to Hansbrough who is a slow, bull in a china closet is just crazy. The only thing they have in common is an all out motor. Thomas is fast, athletic, and has some of the softest, quickest hands of anyone in the draft. Think of all the loose balls he gathered in last year.

We had a poor outside shooting team last year which allowed teams to pack in their defenses on us. Imagine the numbers TRob would have put up with a decent outside shooting team around him.

I think Gottleib is just a KU hater because we bi#€h slap his Cowboys around so frequently.

april28 7 years, 2 months ago

I thought that Gottlieb was the new head coach at K-State?! If a guy's overblown ego was ever on display, it was when he was actively positioning himself as a viable candidate for that job. Ohhhh, if only the Plague had hired him! It would have taken ten years to get the program back on solid footing.

Got Lieb?'s ranking of T Rob is just a continuation of the overall under-valuing of last year's team. Some people still don't get it.

yates33333 7 years, 2 months ago

Wow! You must really despise K-State more than I do.

addlime 7 years, 2 months ago

You think Weber is a better hire? Come on! Time will tell, but Got Lieb?'s (I like that one) analysis of TRob isn't that unfair. Guys get sped up at the next level and look what happens to TRob when he speeds up (first of of Championship game). I just hope that Gottlieb is underestimating the Beast factor. If TRob isn't counted on to score, he could really own the boards.

Sam Constance 7 years, 2 months ago

1) Weber, while not an Earth-shattering hire, is leaps and bounds better than Gottlieb, because he has actually earned some experience as a head coach. Gottlieb has none, yet in classic Gottlieb fashion he arrogantly thinks he could come in and coach at (nearly) the highest level of competition out there. Frankly, it's insulting to actual coaches everywhere to look at the job they do and think "yeah, I could probably step in and do that without any experience whatsoever". He would have driven KSU into the ground. Weber at least has a chance to sustain KSU's recent success.

2) His analysis of Robinson is unfair and it isn't. On the part about being a potential NBA starter? Fair. But the part about being the FIFTEENTH best prospect in the draft is insanity. Does he really think there are 14 other possible NBA starters in this draft? Right.

3) Lastly, I would argue that TRob had a monster championship game. He kept KU in that game as best he could and ended up with impressive numbers against a lineup filled with future NBA players.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I'll be a bit of a contrarian here. I have always found Gottlieb to be a pretty straight shooter and many times very pro-KU. He was very clear during the 2007-08 season that he thought we were the best team. His comments since still seem to be one of an objective opinion.

I do think he's undervaluing TRob a bit. And I think TRob has some more upside in skill development. The projection of a starter on a bad team or rotation player on a good team is not an insult.

See Nick Collison .. the guy I compared TRob to when he arrived at KU. Do you think TRob will be a better NBA player than Collison? I think he could be.

Hank Cross 7 years, 2 months ago

Right now I see TRob as a Kenneth Faried type - aggressive D, going to the glass, getting put-backs, and situational scoring from an under-sized PF. A solid building block, but not a cornerstone. If he can develop his offense to more of a SF, he can take his game to the next level.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

An informative and fair contrarian POV. Thanks for the add.

Jesse Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that C.J. Giles was not part of the 2006-2007 team as he was kicked off before the season began.

First!

OmaHawk88 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm even more surprised that there is no mention of Sherron Collins in this article. He was a unanimous selection to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team for the 2006-2007 season. He was certainly a key player coming off the bench that year. Why no mention Gary?

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm getting old, but I thought I recalled Sherron as a freshman 6th man for the 2007-08 championship squad, not the to-be-inducted 2006-07 elite eight squad.... thus no mention of him in this piece.

hawksince51 7 years, 2 months ago

Collins was a sophomore on the 07/08 NC team. He was only a year behind Rush, Chalmers, Wright. I'm old but KU B-ball sticks a lot better in my memory than most things.

Jesse Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

OmaHawk88 and hawksince51 are correct. Sherron was a freshman the same year as Darrell Arthur. His exclusion is an even bigger error than the Giles inclusion. Kudos to OmaHawk88.

James Kiernan 7 years, 2 months ago

Is the 2007-2008 team in the HOF yet? Is it just me or does anyone else think that squad might be more deserving than 2006-2007.

Jesse Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

Obviously the 2007-2008 team will be HOF. Maybe there is a time requirement before induction can occur?

That being said, the championship year shouldn't take away anything from what was an awesome season the previous year. I was at the game in Las Vegas in November when we beat reigning (and later on repeat) champions Florida in OT. At our best we were clearly better than they were, although we needed another year to improve our consistency. I also think we were more talented with Julian Wright in the lineup, but we played more like a team with Arthur taking his place in the championship year.

texashawk10 7 years, 2 months ago

I imagine there's a 5 year waiting period which means the title team should be going in next year.

hawksince51 7 years, 2 months ago

I suspect Gottlieb is showing some bias against KU with his comments about T-Rob. However, it is true that T-Rob does not have the size that NBA looks for at the 4 so it is possible that he will slip below #5 in the draft. I recall that Pierce was one of those kind of players during the draft years ago. Very athletic, not tall enough to play the 4, and had not developed his 3 pt. shot. So, he slipped down in the draft but has developed into a great NBA player as a 3 or 2. I do not know if T-Rob will goes as high as 5 but am 99% certain he will go top 10. And, I fully expect him to have a long and very profitable NBA career.

rastameta 7 years, 2 months ago

Pierce had a damn good 3-point shot. He fell due to rumors that Roy Boy didn't help squash. I am not going to mention them, but his falling had nothing to do with his abilities.

REHawk 7 years, 2 months ago

None of us knows with certainty if TRob can sustain the almost singleminded drive to improve which appeared to enact as a response to his healing process. Sudden wealth has a way of diverting focus, esp. by athletes who have forged spectacular leaps to prominence during their college years. A blown knee or a host of possible social malapropisms can swoop upon a rising star at any stage of ascension, slowing or even wrecking the machinery traveling on the path to greatness. Case in point, the big Ohio State kid selected #1 in the draft, over Kevin Durant. I wonder what projections the Doogster made about those two lottery picks.... (p.s. Thomas, you would best serve your own interests and dignity by avoiding public or private tweets to such contrary assessments. Nurture the rage quietly. Let your game speak for itself.)

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

REHawk,

I am big on commentary and Americans exercising there free speech, but I very much agree with you in your advice to Thomas regarding Twitter and public comments until he has solidified his career, or until our society faces a serious problem that he feels morally compelled to speak out upon.

Thomas is a professional now, or very soon to be. His profession is basketball. Professionals in all fields play for keeps in their professions, during work hours, and after work hours, when it involves their profession. It is the nature of professionalism in our society. In a profession, you build friends and allies with work, deeds, socializing, and speaking professionally about your work, when asked to do so in public.

The Hollywood stars and other celebrities in our society that use Twitter to build a base, most often do so consistent with a marketing plan established by their public relations team. In the early days of Twitter, some flew by the seats of their pants, but participation in Twitter, as with any other public medium in history, has quickly become very sophisticated and calculated in its usage by the media savvy. If Hollywood stars are making big waves with Tweets these days, you can be sure they are either doing so according to a PR strategy, or because they have a substance abuse problem and are on the way to crashing and burning. There's no in between. Movie stars and rock stars are professionals. They are fantastically driven persons so sophisticated about media that they can feel how close and where the lights are combing from just by the heat on their skins, and then position to get their best angle photographed at a moments notice. They work carefully and tirelessly with PR firms to rebrand their image, when it falls out of style, or gets splattered with too much mud from stupid moves.

You are in the public eye, TRob; that is a lucrative, but tricky place to be.

TRob, get yourself a PR firm BEFORE you need one. They did wonders for MJ.

If you do, and if you apply yourself to marketing your image the way you apply yourself to playing the game, you can have a long, lucrative professional career.

ku1otaku 7 years, 2 months ago

So, what's the difference between Blake Griffin and Thomas Robinson? Does Griffin play the 4?

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years, 2 months ago

I have thought of those two in the same vein before as well... I do think Griffin is a bit more explosive, which is saying something :-) There were times this year, when T-Rob was fatigued (or maybe hurt), where he looked a little ground bound, or at least like he was playing just barely above the rim. I have high hopes for him, but frankly, just getting drafted and playing well in the league is all he needs to do to secure his future and his sister's future (that and taking care of his money). I have rarely if ever been this excited for a kid to make it to the league.

Jory Collins 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't take too much fault with Doug's analysis. Robinson reminds me a lot of Drew Gooden, very similar skill set. Robinson has the higher motor and seems much more driven to improve, which could elevate him above Gooden status. But if I remember right, Drew was the 4th pick after 1 great year as a junior and has had a journeyman career. Absoulutely nothing wrong with playing in the league for 10 plus years no matter how many teams you play on, all of them pay well!

Sam Constance 7 years, 2 months ago

Just a few notes, some of which have probably already been mentioned:

Like HEM, I've typically found Gottlieb to be very fair to the Jayhawks in his analysis of college basketball. That being said, I felt like this year he departed from that quite a bit, continually poo-pooing KU's surprising success and stubbornly insisting that KU wasn't the best team in the Big 12. It's almost like he made it a point to not be "too" complimentary of KU, lest he sound like a Midwest homer.

And that intentional downplaying seems to have bled into his analysis of Robinson as a prospect, because that analysis doesn't really make sense. If he's saying that Robinson has the potential to be a starting PF, then how is that congruous with being less valuable than FOURTEEN other prospects in the draft? I would hazard a guess that in any given year, a draft doesn't produce 15 NBA starters, so I have a hard time understanding how a potential NBA starter can be a non-lottery projection in the draft. It doesn't make any sense.

His analysis continues to fall short when he goes and compares Robinson to Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough has made a pretty nice little niche for himself in the NBA, but I don't see his and Robinson's games at all similarly. Hansbrough could end up having a better career than Robinson (though I doubt it), and I would still not think that their games were similar. Robinson is so much more athletic and shows a great deal more finesse and body control than Hansbrough ever did. Plus, Hansbrough has T-Rex arms.

As far as Robinson's ability to play the PF position, those of you who think he's undersized aren't watching much NBA, it seems to me. Yes, ideally, NBA teams want their PF to be 6'10"-6'11" (think Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan), but there are plenty of guys at Robinson's size that are effective. Height is sometimes overrated--Charles Barkley is the poster child for this notion, but he is far from the only highly-successful "undersized" PF.

I could provide a fairly extensive list, given time. Here are a few off the top of my head (although I looked up their height/weight info):

Carlos Boozer (6'9", 266lbs)

Elton Brand (6'9", 254lbs)

Brandon Bass (6'8", 250lbs)

David West (6'9", 240lbs)

Lavoy Allen (6'9", 225lbs)

Kenneth Faried (6'8", 228lbs)

Luis Scola (6'9", 245lbs)

And the list goes on... the NBA is littered with successful guys in Thomas' size profile, and many of them are less athletic and less driven than Mr. Robinson. Of course, time will tell if the sudden riches and fame subdue some of the amazing drive we've seen from him over the past couple years, as REHawk notes.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

I actually think he maybe 6-7, the height he was when he came to KU, and I am a "tractor", not a "de-tractor." :-)

But I can live with whatever height he is, if he were allowed to play the 4, or the 3.

dylans 7 years, 2 months ago

Aldrich was 6'9" when measured by NBA teams.

WilburNether 7 years, 2 months ago

The 2006-2007 team into the KU Hall of Fame? Seriously? A team that somehow managed to lost in the Elite 8 to a team that had 25 turnovers? Hall of Fame? Seriously?

KansasComet 7 years, 2 months ago

Thomas Robinson will be gone by the 5th pick. I think he is top 3. I would take him number 1, because he is the only top 5 pick with an "NBA-Ready" body. I believe he will become a double-double machine in the NBA.

kerbyd 7 years, 2 months ago

When I think of an undersized overachiever in the NBA I always think of Wes Unseld, 6'7" and played center. Of course I guess the game has changed a little. What scares me a little bit about T-Rob is that I hope he remembers all the great coaching and players who had his back in college. I hope this twitter stuff is not the beginning of getting headed in the wrong direction.

kubballjunkie 7 years, 2 months ago

On a sad note.......Orlando Woolridge, Royce's dad, died today at the age of only 52. Royce - Jayhawk nations thoughts are with you. You will always be a part of the jayhawk family.

jaybate 7 years, 2 months ago

Orlando? Passed? At 52? Too young. Toooooooo young. RIP and condolences.

Jesse Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

From the article on espn.com:

Woolridge is survived by his three children, Zachary, Renaldo and Tiana; by his parents, Mattie and Larnceen; his sister, Dr. Vanessa Woolridge Duplessis; his brother-in-law, Darren Duplessis; and his nephew, Nigel Duplessis.

Apparently he is not Royce's father, unless Royce's real name is Zachary or Renaldo (or Tiana).

Jeeveshawk 7 years, 2 months ago

Word is that Landen Lucas is being very daring as he attempts to break our 8 year streak of never having a #33 and our 38 year streak of never having a player wear 33 his whole career (as Bryant Nash wore #15 for a couple years).

ku1otaku 7 years, 2 months ago

Um, didn't Greg Gurley wear #33 his whole career?

Jeeveshawk 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes and so did CJ Giles, so I was incorrect on my above comment.

REHawk 7 years, 2 months ago

Condolences to Royce and family. Too bad that things did not work out in Lawrence for a kid who, early on, dreamed of playing for the Jayhawks. That said, once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk.

Annette Lee 7 years, 2 months ago

Condolences to the Royce family . On another subject I think HCBS said Thomas was about 6 ft 8&1/2 in. I guess will find out at the combine. Also I read a tweet from Lucas stating he was 6 ft 9 1/4 in flat footed and 6'10 with shoes! Remember Cole was 6' 91/2 flat footed. Both have long arms so I'm hopping for a pleasant surprise.

Annette Lee 7 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, Condolences to the Woolridge family.