Monday, July 23, 2012

Florida prep Chris Walker taps UF

Chris Walker, the No. 6-rated player in the recruiting Class of 2013 according to Rivals.com, on Sunday orally committed to the University of Florida. He chose Billy Donovan’s Gators over Kansas University, Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State, Syracuse and Baylor.

Walker, a 6-foot-9, 220-pounder from Holmes County High in Bonifay, Fla., made his announcement Sunday morning via a pre-filmed mixtape at hthoops.com.

“I will be playing college basketball for the University of Florida,” Walker said on the tape. “I will be teaming with (Florida Elite teammate) Kasey Hill, and together we will be the best duo in college, and we will win a national championship.”

Hill, who is rated No. 7 nationally, committed to Florida last New Year’s Eve. He is a 6-1 point guard from Montverde Academy in Clermont, Fla.

“Given his size, athleticism and skill set, Walker has tremendous potential. He can run the floor extremely well, and loves to finish in transition,” writes Jeff Borzello of CBSsports.com. “In a half-court set, Walker can face-up and knock down jumpers or post up down low. Defensively, he is one of the better shot blockers in the class and he can rebound as well.

Vaughn to Magic?: Former KU guard Jacque Vaughn remains frontrunner to be named head coach of the NBA’s Orlando Magic, the Orlando Sentinel reported Sunday.

The Sentinel says San Antonio assistant Vaughn met with Magic CEO Alex Martins on Friday in Las Vegas for a second-round interview. Magic general manager Rob Hennigan interviewed six candidates and cut the field to three: Vaughn, Philadelphia 76ers associate head coach Michael Curry and Phoenix Suns player-development coach Lindsey Hunter.

Vaughn, 37, played for the Spurs when GM Hennigan worked in that team’s front office.

TNT analyst Shaquille O’Neal apparently does not approve of the possible Vaughn hire. On Sunday he tweeted: “Orlando magic is about to hire jock Vaugh over mike Malone or Brian shaw are u kidding me, wow, good luck winning wit Dat team Dwite howard.”

Vaughn’s San Antonio Spurs beat O’Neal’s Phoenix Suns in the 2008 NBA playoffs. In 2006, O’Neal’s Miami Heat beat Vaughn’s New Jersey Nets in the playoffs.

This, that: Former KU guard Josh Selby of the Memphis Grizzlies was named co-MVP of the Las Vegas NBA summer league with Portland guard Damian Lillard. Selby led the league in scoring at 27.5 points a game. Lillard averaged 26.5 ppg. The all-summer league team: Selby, Lillard, Malcolm Thomas, Brad Beal, Tobias Harris, John Henson, Jeremy Lamb, Dominique Jones, Cory Joseph, Jimmy Butler, Kemba Walker, Donatas Motiejunas, Jae Crowder. ... ESPN’s Digger Phelps told Kansas City 810 radio WHB that KU’s home game against Texas this season would be part of ESPN “GameDay.” The Big 12 has not yet announced the 2012-13 hoops schedule.

Comments

TexasHawk44 1 year, 8 months ago

Who is Breanne Greene? Is she as hot as Justine Randle or Angie Barber? Hope we keep recruiting them regadless /)

martyks 1 year, 8 months ago

KULA, what planetoid are you from? Selby was a disaster. Morningstar was the glue the team needed. You're certifiable. Get help. If anyone else carried that thought around long enough to actually believe it, look to one judge of talent. It's you against the world and Bill Self is in charge of that world. LOL Get your eyesight checked.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

Is Semi Ojeleye another in-state player who was never interested in Kansas and Kansas had no interest in him i.e. Willie Cauley?

Yes, this has been discussed ad nausea but I still haven't seen an article where Willie Cauley actually stated his disinterest and reason.

I'm sure Cal would love to get another highly ranked Kansas high school graduate.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Bulletin for Fatquille O'Kneel...

Stop bullying our Jacque.

When I was a Los Angeleno, and you were a new Laker, I used to defend you endlessly to doubters, when you still acted like a man of substance.

When you showed you had the quickest feet a 300lb footer ever had, I told people how amazing you were and how much you were changing the game.

And when they roughed you up and you bulldozed them into the cheap seats I said they had it coming.

I even looked the other way when you layed out Jayhawk Greg Ostertag, because he was a clown that needed a wake up call.

And when you went to the Heat I told people you would get them a ring for sure.

But now you go after my Jacque and all bets are off, you Fez headed Sidney Greenstreet m!@#$%^r.

Jacque Vaugn ain't Greg Ostertag, my dear Lord of Lard.

He's a wily little bastard and he'd eat a depleted uranium round, if it would help his team win.

Tweet-hits on Jacque betray Prince Porcine has nothing left in life to do but light bucket farts with a police taser.

And if Jowly O'Kneel tries to take a poke at our beloved Jacque to try to intimidate him out of the Magic head job, Jacque will not take it and smile, like Greg had to when you were a star and he was not. Jacque will likely twirl behind the morbidly obese white dwarf of a former star that Shaq has become, reach between his cellulite encased loins, grab his teeny scallops, yank them back, pull them up, and tie them around Shaq's fat throat in a full Windsor before Jabba the Hoophutt knows what choked him.

Don't threaten Jacque's paycheck and don't tread on Jayhawks any more, you sebaceous endomorph.

Very truly yours,

Your former loyal defender,

jaybate

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Tapping in headlines must stop.

I know two readers of this board that have committed suicide after seeing tap in the headlines.

I know one that has left his wife for an angus steer.

I know another that self-immolated with a bunson burner.

I know three more that have tried to microwave their heads.

One even threatened to help Mitt Romney outsource jobs through Bain Capital!!!!

Make the tapping stop!

Make it stop before more in Jayhawk nation take their lives, or worse, help outsource more jobs.

:-)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

A few things to consider regarding missing on Walker -

Our stock of low rated big guys right now .. Lucas/Peters/Traylor .. does not have to render a star. And it may end up being a positive when pursuing top post men.

What Self has done is infuse our program with guys that have development potential. Guys that may suffice this coming season in various roles, but once developed, could be players. And who knows, there may be a surprise there.

Remember, if we land a solid big guy for 2013, and say one or two for 2014, what do we really need from this group of three players?

Not much more than should be expected.

Ellis may very well end up playing the three. But if not, he appears to a three year player at the 4. We add a solid top 50 big guy in 2013. We only need help from two of the three we have now, right?

So if one completely flames out, not a big deal.

Of Lucas/Peters/Traylor -- If one, by his sophomore year is a solid rotation guy and by his junior year, can be of starter quality; and a second simply be a solid 4th post player in a rotation by 2013, we are fine.

Better yet, a top post player is likely not going to see any of the three (Lucas/Peters/Traylor) as a significant roadblock. The only way they become roadblocks is if they really play well. And in that case, we're happy as well.

I expect that Self will nail down a top big guy for 2013 -- one that everyone will be happy with. He isn't playing this the way he played it with Tarc.

Timmay97 1 year, 8 months ago

I sometimes feel that ESPN is skeptical about having College Gameday at Allen Fieldhouse. The mere fact that KU loses maybe (on average) once every OTHER season pretty much shows that it's almost a guaranteed win.

Having said the above, Allen Fieldhouse is unlike any other college venue out there. And I do believe they love showcasing it, along with the extreme crowd noise. It makes for REALLY good TV. And the fact that KU's fan base is so extreme, they probably don't hurt THAT much for ratings.

KU always seems to be on in at least one college gameday. However, it just seems it's never at home (as I'm sure they have had their fair share).

KUfanInFlorida 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, I was kinda bummed about KU not landing Walker, but it wasn't really that much of a shocker because he was a Florida lean anyways. Barber and a top 30 big is a must get though.

AsadZ 1 year, 8 months ago

Very happy to see Game Day coming back to KU. It does provide great national exposure.

I am not going to lose any sleep on not landing Walker. If we can get another Big within top 20-30 we will be fine.

Good luck to Vaugh. He would be a great hire for Orlando.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Best duo...have to earn that.

Championship? Not if Bill and the boys have something to say.

Robert Brock 1 year, 8 months ago

I felt bad when Selby left for The League but it enabled the Jayhawks to get to the Final Four and the championship game.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 8 months ago

Who had the better or more laughable comments...Wlaker or Shaquille?

Eric Mitchell 1 year, 8 months ago

Walker sounds a bit too confident which is not uncommon for an elite player. Would I love to have him? Of course, but I believe KU would do better with players who are realistic enough not to pretty much gurantee an NCAA Championship when they haven't even played their senior seasons of high school ball. Confidence is arguably the most important intangible in basketball, but that sounds a bit much to me. I think the downfall of KU in 2010-2011 was Josh Selby's lack of confidence after his injury.

On a side note I completely agree with ralster about Selby and wish him and Jacque the best.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Chris Walker picks FL/Billy Donovan. Well lets see what Donovan does this year with 2 top10 guys. Would Walker have been good/great at KU? Yes, very high chance he could have been due to his ranking (indicating he possessed a high level of the skills needed to execute the plays given to him). But his ranking doesnt help us at all now, just like Tarc's. We have got to get them to come for it to matter. There are several programs that wanted Perry Ellis, but they didnt get him. I am curious now about Randle, and if we get him or not? Self does great work with lesser ranked guys (not top20), so I guess I present that idea (fact) as 'insurance'. Look at the Tyshawnhawks: Self's 2nd best coaching job since his 32-5 elite8 Tulsa squad with no mickey-Ds (3rd best). His #1 simply has to be 2008Champs. What Im saying is Self can do it with alot of talent, or with lesser talent. He came up through the midmajors building teams & hustle the hard way. His teams are tough. SO, my point in posting this is to maybe let other readers sweat the recruiting a "little bit less" (but only if they agree). I saw too many people seem to come unglued when Tarc committed elsewhere. Gonna do that over Walker? (Again, it would be great for KU if he actually came, but he isnt). Lets see if we get Randle? (Im excited until the day he picks someone else--then I move on to the 'next' highly-touted guy...there's a yearly supply). :)

mandomax 1 year, 8 months ago

wow, Shaq is really giving a lot of credibility to that LSU diploma!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I just knew Selby would shine, just as if he had stayed another year he would have shined for KU... He majorly had something to prove with the way his ku year went, and when healthy has the tools to do it, which he has.