Sunday, July 22, 2012

Milton Doyle comes highly regarded

Milton Doyle, the latest addition to Kansas University men's basketball team, speaks to the media on Tuesday, June 19, 2012, for the first time since joining the team. KU coach Bill Self officially announced the 6-foot-4, 175-pound Chicagoan's signing of a grant-in-aid agreement Monday.

NBA Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas recommended his former Florida International commit, Milton Doyle, to Kansas University after Thomas was fired as FIU coach in April.

Doyle, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound combo guard, hails from Chicago’s Marshall High. Thomas attended St. Joseph High in Westchester, Ill.

“I knew coach (Bill) Self when he was at Illinois. I always helped with a couple players there. I’ve also had a good relationship with members of his coaching staff,” Thomas said in an interview with ESPN Chicago.

“I felt with Milton’s style ... and they’ve had experience with Chicago kids before, and they’ve done well by them. I thought it would be a good fit for him. I did for Milton what I always try to do for players from Chicago.

“I’ve helped everyone from Chicago. I’ve done that since I got to the NBA,” Thomas added. “He also happened to be from my neighborhood and went to the high school my brother went to.”

Doyle averaged 19 points, 7.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists a game his senior year at Marshall.

“Very rarely do you see a player in high school that has so many skills in terms of stuffing the stat sheet,” Thomas told ESPN Chicago. “He rebounds the ball well. He can score in a multitude of ways. He can score from the perimeter. He can score off the bounce. He can at the foul line, and he can score off rebounds. He’s a guy who will always find a way to leave his mark on the game.

“For us at FIU, he would have been our first true impact player. He would have been to FIU what Johnny Dawkins was to Coach K (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski). He would have put us on the map.”

Barber update: ESPN’s Dave Telep reports that SMU is trying to get involved with Anthony “Cat” Barber, a 6-2 senior point guard from Hampton High in Hampton, Va. Hampton is hometown of SMU coach Larry Brown’s former star pupil, Allen Iverson.

It’s long been believed Barber, the No. 9-rated player in the Class of 2013, would choose either KU or Alabama.

“SMU’s a long shot,” Telep wrote, “but the conversations Brown once had with Iverson are likely to be the foundation for his recruitment of Barber. It’s recruiting, and that means it’s about relationships, so Brown should use all the tools at his disposal. Barber needs to get ready to learn about A.I. from the guy who coached the guard to the NBA Finals.”

Allerik Freeman, a 6-4 shooting guard from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., is a summer Boo Williams AAU teammate of Barber’s.

Freeman, the country’s No. 39-rated player, tells Zagsblog.com he has a list of KU, UCLA, Villanova, Duke and Ohio State.

“I plan on taking visits to all five as long as a position hasn’t been filled yet,” Freeman said.

As far as going to the same school as Barber .... “Oh, man, I would love to play with Cat,” Freeman told Zagsblog. “Me and Cat play well together when we’re both getting in the lane and we’re both driving and dishing and we play well. If me and Cat wanted to go to Kansas together, then that would be great but I’m just trying to make decisions for myself.”

There’s also been talk Barber may want to go to the same school as Boo Williams teammate Troy Williams, a 6-6 small forward from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. Williams, who is ranked No. 41, said on Twitter Saturday that KU and Indiana are the latest to show interest. Louisville and Alabama reportedly have been trying to land Williams and Barber as a package deal.

One vs. two: The No. 1 player in the Class of 2014 (Andrew Wiggins) went up against the No. 2 player in the Class of 2013 (Julius Randle) on Friday at the Peach Jam in South Carolina.

Wiggins, 6-7 from Toronto, scored 28 points and had 15 rebounds in his CIA Bounce squad’s 81-80 overtime victory over Randle’s Texas Titans team. Randle, 6-9 from Plano, Texas, had 15 points and 13 boards. KU coach Bill Self, Kentucky’s John Calipari, Baylor’s Scott Drew and many other coaches were in attendance.

“Wiggins made Randle look ordinary, as if he was just another Top 100 player,” CBS Sports’ Jeff Goodman said in an article on ESPN.com. “I will confess that I’m a huge Randle fan, but he was outclassed — in every manner.”

KU is on Randle’s long list of schools. Wiggins is considering KU, Duke, Florida State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio State, Syracuse and others.

“I really don’t pay attention to (rankings),” Randle told The Augusta Chronicle. “If I’m No. 1, I’m No. 1. It doesn’t matter to me. I just want to be ready for the next level.”

There’s talk Wiggins may reclassify to the class of 2013.

For sale: A 1915 KU basketball jersey is being auctioned off online. The suggested value is $30,000, with a current high bid of $7,500. It is available at http://bit.ly/QhOzAl ... The 1998 Big 12 title ring of former KU player Kenny Gregory is on sale for $7,500 on craigslist.com. The web address is http://bit.ly/MzVnVZ

Comments

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

I hate to say it but Jorgs can play. Watching him and Frankampenstein team up is special and they are dazzling. He's got a quick release and a tight handle that helps him dish it really well. Connor is better, from a scoring standpoint, but the Tigers got a good PG in Travis.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 9 months ago

This is regarding HEM's earlier post about our bigs needing to average 32 ppg...

HEM, thanks for actual facts and bringing up some interesting points worth discussing. It's why you're one of my favorite guys posting on here.

Here's what I've been thinking about this subject: I know Self (and most coaches) usually rotate 3-4 post players. But this year seems unique in that we have one proven player (Withey), one experienced player (Young), and several unproven players (Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, Peters and Wesley). Might HCBS use five post players? Most likely Withey, Ellis, Lucas, Traylor and Young. Maybe not every game, and it could be situational (they each seem to have different skill sets), but it seems like we only have one great player (Withey) with a bunch of inexperienced guys. Maybe one or more of them are great (or will be), but perhaps it'll take more than 3 or 4 Bigs to make u great in the post positions.

Here's how the minutes could break down: Withey: 28 mpg ... Lucas: the other 12 mpg (I have high hopes for Lucas and consider him more of a C than a PF) Ellis: 25 mpg ... Traylor & Young divide up the other 15 ppg.

Here's how you could get to 32 ppg by our Bigs: Withey: 13 ppg ... Ellis: 9 ppg ... Lucas: 4 ppg ... Traylor: 3 ppg ... Young: 3 ppg

= 32 ppg by our post players.

Last year Withey averaged 9 ppg while only shooting 5.4 times per game. I assume he's gonna shoot a lot more often this year. Plus he's great at shooting free throws (and may even shoot our technicals).

As for Ellis, I agree his success is one of our keys for our success. But isn't that what's expected from a top recruit for a top program? ... Is he aggressive enough? I have no idea because I live 2,000 miles away from where he played in high school and he has yet to play in college. But isn't it the job of coaches to get players to play how they're supposed to play? And don't we have among the best coaches in the country?

Ellis is a scorer and I'm sure he will have the green light to go after points. 9 ppg does not sound overly ambitious if he gets the minutes. I don't know if it's wise to compare Ellis and T-Rob's freshmen years, but T-Rob played 7.2 mpg and scored 2.5 ppg. If you multiply that by 3.5 you get 25.2 mpg and 8.75 ppg, which is about what I hypothesized for Ellis this year.

I assume five perimeter players in the rotation: EJ, Ben and Releford starting, with Tharpe as EJ's main back-up and White as the sixth man subbing for Ben and Releford. Maybe this line-up works so well that we only need 28 - 30 ppg from our bigs? Maybe I'm crazy for thinking that HCBS will use a 10-man rotation past January? I just can't wait to find out!

Jay Dogger 1 year, 9 months ago

I think Shepherd is the bigger get. Walker sounds like a 3/4 which we have in Ellis and maybe Traylor. We need a big Big (not just tall). Don't get me wrong, I would have liked him coming here and I realize we're still going after other small forwards, but I don't think he fills our biggest need.

Freeman seems great but we are so loaded at the 2 right now/next year... And is it me or is Barber becoming more of a pain in the azz?

I never followed recruiting until after the '08 season... Is it always like this? Three or four whiffs/strikeouts for every double or triple and only an occasional homerun? It reminds me of dating.

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

The Walker decision shore nuff brought out some good old fashioned discussions/debates today. Made an otherwise non-news day something interesting. Lots of regulars contributing, Jaybate "Going Long" as usual, and lots of incite filled opinions and projected possibilities.

Ahhh! How nice, these relaxing days of summer, sung to the 50's melody, "Standing on the Corner (ie. beach), watching all the girls stroll by." (in their dental floss bikinis!!! I swear they're getting skimpier and skimpier, as I get older and older. Ughh!)

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Regardless of anyone's negative feelings re Isiah Thomas, it is a fine thing that he thinks enough of Bill Self and Jayhawk Hoops to recommend his former top FIU recruit to us. If Doyle works out as a future contributor, we might owe Isiah a huge thanks. This recruit looks to have lotsa upside. Money in the bank.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

jb, though JayDogger was insulting in his "freaking out" statement, he did ask a legitimate question about the pot scandal. Whence the "Wichita" connection? Did we miss an article?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess I don't get it. There are every year 1-3 players that are head and shoulders above the rest. There usually are about 10 that could get drafted straight out of HS, but outside of those few, they need college and development time. I look at Walker, who has declared himself as OAD, as someone that can go to Florida. Personally, i like the Frankamps and the Doyles and the Robinsons and the Morris twins as people that will stick around for 2-3 years. After seeing what Frankamp and Parker have been doing in the U17 championship, could you imagine us getting both of them. All I have to say is there are about 10-15 people that KU if they get will most likely work out, we just need to get 2-3 of them. In this case Walker was one of them, but clearly wasn't the only one.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 9 months ago

We have eight Freshmen next year. One is a projected one and done. Even though McLemore will be 20 in March <-- he was born when I was a senior in high school listening to Ditty's "Paperboy", with a mullet, a chew in, my hat on backwards, trolling for skank in my Jeep But I digress... As long as this core stays, PT will be an issue for many recruits who will be promised PT. HCBS will not negotiate playing time. Bravo Coach! Find the next T-Rob, sprinkle in the next Sherronatron, and Mario. I'm good.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 9 months ago

Meh. Too bad we didn't get Walker, but it's not the end of the world. We really do need a big down low because we just don't have anything to replace Withey (or accent his talents this upcoming season). But this dude was crying about not getting an offer from Kentucky all year, which has to mean something. He's one of those guys that wanted to stay close to home, which is all well and fine, but I think Donovan's reign at the top is over, and has been for a while now. Florida struggles to compete in the SEC and is a team that one can easily forget is even around. But with misses and Caleb Tracfaksdjhfksewsky and other bigs we've got to make something happen. I think we can have a real special team over the next few years with the addition of a few more pieces, but we got to get some soon.

RecruitHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Randle would be a home run with Anya next best option. Randle is most polished forward coming out of high school since probably K Love. I'm starting to see more and more of randle getting closer with KU. I've been following his recruitment very closely and will keep everyone posted.

As for PG we need Barber. Jackson is nowhere near ready to run a program. I. See it possibly going down as. Greene, Frankamp, Barber, Randle, and Freeman with Barber. If it does end with a package to get Barber we still need a polished big that's ready. In this scenario I. See a potential transfer to free up a fifth scholly.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 9 months ago

2013 is the Year of the Big Man. Walker would have been nice. But 'who's next'? Randle, Lawrence, Shepherd, Mickey, Parker, Lee, Nichols or Anya all can step into that spot. All are talented. Very little difference between all of them. We wont' miss out on a BIG.

The final spot is PG. Barber or Jackson will fit that spot.

Greene Frankamp Barber/Jackson BIG

Good recruiting class.

blowhard 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey Einsteins:

For some unexplainable reason, our coaching staff appears brilliant and we were the best COLLEGE team in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME this past season.

We're good and we're going to stay good.

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 9 months ago

On a totally different topic: The NCAA is about to announce "unprecedented penalties" for the Ped State Pedobears - ahem, I mean the Penn State Nittany Lions. I believe a "Death Penalty" should be part of the penalties.

Part of the problem with Ped State was their cult-like worship of JoePa and the Pedobears' football program. Sometimes I fear that we as Kansas fans have a cult-like reverence for our beloved basketball program and for our coaches (we had such a reverence for Roy Williams for sure). I hope that our love for KU basketball won't blind us to any scandal, however great or small, that affects our program.

RecruitHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Package Deals in the air now...

Of course harrison twins (both top 7) Combo Guard Al Freeman and PG Cat Barber (# 30 to 40 and top 10 respectively) SF Troy Williams (same as Freeman ranking) and Cat Barber PG Wes Clarke (#95 to 100) and SG James Young (top 5) And the biggest and most likely (other than twins) 2014 PG Tyus Jones (#1 PG #3ovr) and C Jahill Okafor (#1 C #2ovr) You could even say Walker to Florida was a package with Kasey Hill. Starting to happen more and more.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Same year package deals are like herding cats.

They happen rarely.

So rarely, they ought to be called random occurrences.

RecruitHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Im Back... (feel free to ask any recruting questions and comments)

Chris Walker is a big miss no doubt but 2013 is a year with many good bigs. This will only help with Randle who I feel is starting to seriously consider KU.

Anthony Barber should be the biggest target. Although ku has Frankamp coming in in, and I do believe in his talent, I. Do not believe he can run a ku team at point his first year. Frank will have instant offense off the bench of course. Barber is the #3 pg in class no doubt. He is super quick and this talent shouldn't be passed up. He is down to ku bama and lville.

Barber he might want to play in college with SF troy williams (same aau teamates). KU is starting to show interest in williams. This ddoesn't make much jjjsense other than the fact it is to land barber.

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 1 year, 9 months ago

Speaking Hampton, VA: I attended Hampton University in '95. At the time, Ronald Curry was a senoir at Hampton High. Not only was he the #1 rated QB in the nation, he was the #1 rated point guard. He was so good at QB that he completely overshadowed Michael Vick and Aaron Brooks. But as good as Curry was on the gridiron, the best QB to come out of Hampton (Ask anyone!) was Allen Iverson. He would have played football if not for that whole getting tossed into jail thing. John Thompson convinced the governor to pardon him, so it was all basketball all the time after that.

I hope KU brings in more VA talent in football and basketball. Virginia is the most underrated state when it comes to producing athletes. Iverson, Plaxico, Percy Harvin, Michael Vick, Aaron Brooks, Bruce Smith, LT, Alonzo Morning, Grant Hill, Vernon Macklin, Thomas Jones, and a huge list of others are all from VA.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 9 months ago

Wonder if Tharp should red shirt. He could be a T-Rel type of player...only at point guard instead of the wing.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Does anyone here see post scoring as our most concerning element this coming season? I do. Who scores down low? Looking back on 2008-09, we got 32 point per game from the post; 2009-10 appx. 33 ppg; 2010-11 45 ppg; 2011-12 again, appx. 32 ppg. Heck, in the title year it was about 34.

32-33 ppg per game is the magic number. Where does that come from? Withey is not a go to scorer; Ellis is described universally as passive (and anyone who has seen him play would agree); Traylor is not thought of as a scorer ("raw" "athletic" "motor" are his traits); and are Peters/Lucas really ready to be that guy, or be expected to offer post scoring as a freshman? Young isn't a post scorer. And Wesley is just not a scorer of any kind. Where does the scoring, or scoring threat come from?

We've been lucky -- Arthur, Jackson, Kaun, Aldrich, Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, TRob -- none of that this season, though. It's 2009 without Cole Adrich (Withey is not as skilled offensively), and without players as well thought of as the Morrises. Appx. top 50 guys. Except for one -- Ellis.

Some seem to expect Traylor/Peters/Lucas/Ellis to be that guy .. but remember the Morrises as freshmen? Eventual lottery picks. What if we get that level of play from one of these guys? 7.4 ppg for Marcus and 4.6 for Markieff. Is that really good enough this season, minus an Aldrich-type offensive threat -- 15 ppg? And can we expect that from a tandem of freshmen post players?

This season may lead to a different sort of offensive approach. But we still need appx. 32 ppg from the post.

Look at what we have. EJ, McLemore, Releford, White. Perimeter guys that can score. Add in Tharpe, and the best option between Adams and Doyle, and I would suggest that our 6 potential perimeter players are much better as a group than our 7 potential post players. The likely rotation is 5 perimeter players, 4 post players.

With that, who becomes the key player? Isn't it obvious? What player has to be better than we think? What player has to be a real player, exceeding freshman expectations? I think it's Ellis. If you look at our post players, it's a group that no one can suggest with any certainty that anyone of them performs to a high level on the offensive end. Ellis is the man. He is probably the only one that can. Ellis is the key to this team. Our perimeter looks solid. Ellis has to be a player.

Here's how we could get our 32 ppg: Withey 12, Ellis 11, Young 5, and the one getting the PT out of Traylor/Lucas/Peters, 4. That would mean that Ellis plays 4 ppg better than Marcus did his freshman year. The key guy. We need that scoring. And the winner of the Traylor/Lucas/Peters battle getting 4, just under what Kieff did.

This may not seem like a tall order, but it is. To borrow from Mike Gundy .. this is Division I basketball.

If we don't get that 32 ppg from the post, this team will have to be perimeter scoring team in a way that we haven't in the recent past.

bville_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Did anyone else feel that, thru his comments, Isiah Thomas managed to make a good portion of the story about him and not about Milton Doyle?

IMHO, Milton is lucky he didn't end up playing for Isiah. Everything Isiah touches to crap in my observations. Has anything he has been involved with since his playing days ended been successful?

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 9 months ago

I followed walker closely and he was definitely never a ku lean over uf. It was just down to those schools. Im happy for him regardless. This miss however should not be overstated. We're still on to plenty of talented bigs for 2013. jermaine lawrence has ku high on his list. And were in the mix on marcus lee, julius randle, jabari parker and others. There are 2 available schollies right now.

Keith Richards 1 year, 9 months ago

Does someone have a scholarship availability estimation for next season?

2 so far committed and how many leaving or possibly leaving?

Norm Jennings 1 year, 9 months ago

bb,

no one has to flame U.

Your comments in light of Coach Self's record speaks for themselves.

So an anonymous poster like me might hurl insults at you, but the combination of mother nature and modern technology have exposed you in a way I never could.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, i havent been flamed in a while so i guess now is as good a time as any.....

Chris Walker, a long time considered KU lean committed to Florida.

Bill Self misses again on his top front court target.

At what point does it stop being coincidence and start being a trend?

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Randle gets humbled

May save his career

Milton gets hyped

But Isiah is biased

Cat gets Larry-ed

But A.I. can't ice it.

Wiggins reclasses

Randle is Bill's

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I come away from Thomas' comments with a modicum of respect for Milt Doyle. Those were very strong comments, declaring that Milt would have put FIU on the map. Even if Ben should become a lottery pick in June, we appear to be left in good guard shape, what with Tharpe, Frankamp, Adams and Doyle. White could alternate between the 2 and 3, Ellis the 3 and 4. Looks to me as though the post position represents the Jayhawks' direst need for 2013-14.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

Chris Walker announced for Florida this morning. A while back he was a KU lean.

Kevin Long 1 year, 9 months ago

He does look like DWade! funny!

ku1otaku 1 year, 9 months ago

Am I crazy to think that Doyle looks like a young DWade in that photo?

Lance Hobson 1 year, 9 months ago

1. First of all, you get a ring for winning the Big 12 title?

2. I hope AI makes sure he tells Cat about Larry Brown's obsession with inconsequential things such as "practice."

3. I wouldn't put too much credence into anything Isiah Thomas has to say when it comes to judging talent after what he did with the Knicks. I do trust Bill Self, though. I am looking forward to following Doyle's development the next few years.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 9 months ago

Scott Drew is such a turd. I can't believe he gets so many high level recruits to play for him.

BigTamale 1 year, 9 months ago

They misspelled Gold in that listing...