Saturday, July 21, 2012

Self: Milton Doyle fully qualified to play at KU

Milton Doyle, the latest addition to Kansas University men's basketball team, speaks to the media on Tuesday, June 19, 2012, for the first time since joining the team. KU coach Bill Self officially announced the 6-foot-4, 175-pound Chicagoan's signing of a grant-in-aid agreement Monday.

Kansas University freshman guard Milton Doyle has qualified academically to play basketball at KU this season, coach Bill Self told the Journal-World on Friday night.

The NCAA informed the 6-foot-4 guard out of Marshall High on Friday afternoon that he was fully qualified, Doyle’s mom, Lisa Green, told the Chicago Tribune. The Tribune reported that the NCAA had been looking into two courses Doyle took online because of complications from his transfer from Tilden High to Marshall following his sophomore year.

“It’s truly a blessing,” Green told ESPN Chicago. “To come from where he was to now, it’s really big. It’s really big. I can’t even describe it.”

Doyle averaged 19 points, seven rebounds and five assists last season at Marshall. He’s been at KU taking summer school classes and working out with the team.

Selby stars at summer league: Former KU basketball guard Josh Selby, who had a somewhat disappointing rookie season in the NBA, has emerged as the star of the Las Vegas summer league.

Playing for the Memphis Grizzlies — a team in which he averaged just 2.3 points a game in 28 regular-season games in 2011-12 — Selby has hit for 29.0 points a game off 60.9 percent shooting in three summer league contests.

On Friday, he followed up a 35-point outing against Washington with a 32-point explosion in a 97-79 victory over Charlotte.

Selby, who has two games left to play in Vegas, hit nine of 14 shots — including 7 of 11 threes. He also made seven free throws in as many tries.

“It’s repetition, getting a lot of shots up (with) my little brother and my mom ... going in the gym every day and shooting,” Selby told NBA.com. “The hard work has paid off in the summer league.”

The Grizzlies, who recently lost guard O.J. Mayo to Dallas in free agency, are using the 6-2 Selby exclusively as a shooting guard after playing him at combo guard last season. He also played eight games for Reno in the NBA Developmental League, averaging 25.1 points per contest.

Memphis GM Chris Wallace, who has said he’s trying to add another outside shooting threat to the rotation, told the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that Selby “is another wild card who might find his way into doing something for you (team).”

Selby believes he’ll play a meaningful role.

“I’m young and I have a lot to learn. I feel like I’m showcasing my game, and I just have to try to bring it to the season next year,” Baltimore native Selby said. “If there’s an opportunity, I’m going to work hard and take advantage of my opportunity. I’m going to continue to work on my game and try to build chemistry with the guys and with the coaches.”

More summer league: Former Jayhawk Xavier Henry scored a team-leading 12 points off 5-of-8 shooting in New Orleans’ 78-65 loss to Dallas in Vegas. ... Former KU forward Markieff Morris scored 16 points off 6-of-15 shooting with six rebounds in Phoenix’s 89-75 loss to the NBADL select team.

Robinson update: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson averaged 13.0 points and 9.8 rebounds a game in Sacramento’s five summer league games in Vegas. He hit just 34.4 percent of his shots.

“I came into the summer league thinking I had to prove to everybody I was worthy of the fifth pick (in 2012 Draft) and I have to play up to a name when I don’t have to prove myself to anybody,” Robinson told the Sacramento Bee. “I came here trying to prove I was an offensive player, but really my niche is rebounding, and I did that today (16 rebounds in final game vs. Boston) and the offense came (15 points).”

Robinson said he would return to the gym to work on finishing inside plays.

“They’re not calling (fouls) for me, and I’m not going to get nothing out here,” Robinson said of the officials. “I’m a rookie. Until then, I’m going to have to play through the whistle.”

He said he hoped former KU power forward Darnell Jackson would be invited to Kings’ veteran camp. Jackson had 20 rebounds and 15 points in five summer league games. He played in Ukraine last year.

“Darnell helped me so much here, helped me keep my head when I was down on myself playing bad,” Robinson said. “He kept me in it. I would love if he could come back.”

Recruiting: Aaron Gordon, a 6-7 senior forward from Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, Calif., tells Rivals.com he has a list of KU, Kentucky, Arizona, Stanford, Oregon and Washington. He’s ranked No. 5 nationally by Rivals.com ... Julius Randle, a 6-9, 240-pound power forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, scored 34 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in one of the Texas Titans’ games at Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C. Randle, the No. 2 rated player in the Class of 2013, tells Rivals.com he has a list of KU, Kentucky, Duke, Texas, North Carolina, N.C. State, Baylor, Ohio State and Missouri.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

How does a 6-4 guard average 19-7-4 in Chicago get overlooked? What's the catch with this guy?

Edward Daub 2 years, 3 months ago

He signed early with FIU. When Isiah Thomas left, he asked out. Sounds like a true sleeper candidate.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 3 months ago

Background on the "sleeper" recruit -- He was hurt his junior year and did not play AAU ball the summer before his senior year. Originally committed early (Oct 2011) to FIU and Isiah Thomas (signed a financial aid agreement, not a National Letter of Intent). Result was the recruiting services largely ignored him. He didn't reopen recruiting until Thomas was fired by FIU (with 2 years left on his contract) on April 6.

hawk316 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Milton Doyle may turn out to be quite a find. I don't know anything about him other than what I've read, but for some reason, I find myself really rooting for him already.

KUDUDE 2 years, 3 months ago

THAT GOOD THAT HE WILL GET TO PLAY THIS COMEING UP BBALL SEASON

jayhawk02 2 years, 3 months ago

JayDoc............that literally made me laugh out loud. That was a funny comment.

hawk316 2 years, 3 months ago

Great line! Got a laugh out of me, too.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 3 months ago

Credit to Coach Self and his recruiting. We're gonna be stacked over the next few years.

Can't wait for Francamp to get here. Doyle is gonna be awesome. The guy that could push us over the edge is Peters. If he can develop into a bruiser down low...that would stabilize our post for the next 4 years.

saad007 2 years, 3 months ago

i'm very happy for selby. he's finally in good health and taking his game to the next level. congrats josh and keep up the good work

Dirk Medema 2 years, 3 months ago

Love the line about his mom and lil bro helping him practice. Not taking a contract for granted, but just keeps working to get better. Is he 20 yo now? So much time remaining. Lot's of upside.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 3 months ago

On Aaron Gordon, he may be the best player in the 2013 class. His motor is always running and he is so explosive. In fact, His teammates call him Scottie Griffin because they say he's a blend of Scottie Pippen and Blake Griffin. Don't get your hopes up though, he's a west coast/PAC recruit if I've ever seen one.

Robert Brock 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like Gordon will go with Lorenzo Romar.

KJD 2 years, 3 months ago

Even if it is just summer league, DBlock and TRob as teammates is glorious. Plenty of highlights for TRob including drive and finish skills http://on.nba.com/LiauRo plus you can see Jackson on the court at the same time. Very nice.

justoneperson 2 years, 3 months ago

I enjoyed that part too. Two of my all time favorites.

jhox 2 years, 3 months ago

Great to hear Milton qualified. He promised all along that he would, but there were a lot of doubters. With KU's track record with the NCAA that's understandable.

I'm glad to see Selby have a good summer. Let's hope it carries over to the regular season. I never begrudge a kid from leaving early to try to make a living, but I'll always believe that in his case it was a big mistake. A healthy sophomore year at KU would have made him much more valuable and a higher draft pick, and he may have even had an NCAA championship ring to show for it. We were a good outside shooter away from being able to beat Kentucky.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

©"40spf Ball'n'Sun Screen, or One Hundred and Five in the Shade"

© Man, its hot! Sahara hot! Kalahari hot! Gobi hot! Mojave hot! Sonoran hot! Great Sandy hot! Chihuahuan hot! Light side of the moon hot! Mercury hot! Sirius hyper giant hot! Large Hadron Collider, 10 billion million degrees Celsius hot!!!!!!!!!!!

© Milton "Arthur Conan" Doyle being approved looks bigger each second. Each approved freshman on the roster is insurance against suspension blow back from the Wichita pot case.

© If Josh Selby can finally get it going in the L, he is going to be supernova inspiration to people that believe in hanging in when the going gets tough. Go, Josh, go! You're still one of my favorite Jayhawks. And without knocking you in the least, you sound much more mature in these quotes than you did at KU, and you were not naive then. Way to go, Mother Selby, for being the shooting machine and supporting your son through all of this pot-holed road.

© TRob sounds as if he's learned a valuable lesson this summer. Forget expectations, play to your strengths, and strengthen your weaknesses. What Self taught him at KU generalizes. 16 reebs!!!! The man is the second coming of Bill Bridges with good knees and Superman Shoulders. Imagine if TRob were to commit himself with the monomaniacal focus to guarding and rebounding the way Dennis Rodman did...but with TRob's body. He would one day be in the NBA Hall of Fame, as surely as The Worm wriggled in. I know, I know, no one likes comparisons to The Worm, because The Worm left The Mike program and exposed the NBA for the show biz pimp hustle it really is. But if TRob can stay the course, avoid the haunting of his personal losses, then there is no doubt that he can guard the 4 and rebound his way into wealth and fame. And if he commits to developing an NBA grade back to the basket move (a turnaround fall away J) and a trey (forget the intermediate game, TRob, a trey will keep you in the L till you are old and grey), then look out for then next Karl Malone!

© 20 pts and 15 reebs in five games probably means DBlock should start working on a Slovak language, though I respect Thomas for putting in a good word for one of KU's greats, and one of its rare breed--a man with an NCAA ring and a heart the size of a Kansas wheat field. Talk about a great big man coach waiting to happen! Come back, DBlock, come back and teach our bigs position, defense, the chest pound and the lion's heart!

© Julius Randle is the load we need. Forget Zach's reputed leak that we are low on his list. Accurate as Zach may have been, some objectives in war that appear impossible must still be taken. Julius Randle, with KU's supporting cast, is a ticket to the Finals waiting to be punched. I know. RIght now he has a Kentucky Jones, but Bill Self didn't get to 84% and a ring by manning down about great prospects. Go Bill, go!!!! Sick Norm on him. Julius has never been double teamed the way you to do it!

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

I read an interview with Randle (I've looked and looked and can't find it again, so don't ask for a link) and he sounded just like that guy who turned us down to "Carmeloize" Nevada or someone. Randle was talking about going somewhere and turning them into a champion. That made him sound a lot less desirable to me. No doubt about his ability, though.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 3 months ago

Malik something to Oregon? The class after Carmelo @ SU.

ku_foaf 2 years, 3 months ago

Malik Hairston from Detroit. Really made that happen, didn't he? I think he would have been on the championship team if he had gone to KU.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Looking at the picture of Milton "AC" Doyle, it is suddenly apparent to me why Self had to sign him. He looks like a young Bill Self with more pigment. He has the handsome, boyish grille. He has the square face that is prerequisite to being photogenic and charismatic. He has the subtlety Cro Magnon brow that Self has. He has the narrow eyes. Plus he can probably dribble, jump and run better than Self ever could. But can he guard with Self's pugnacious style? Can he "get better" every day? Can he learn to speak and stammer in the Eisenhower style that signals non linear genius? Stay tuned. And can he hit a baseball outta da park?!! Go, Milton, go!!!

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

The mouth is a little narrower, a little fuller, but we're talking similarities here, not doppelgängers. The pinned back ears are similar, too.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 3 months ago

I woke up this morning wondering this this would finally be the day I'd hear doppelgänger used in a conversation.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Oooh, a sarcasm-gasm.

Very 20th Century.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 3 months ago

I've watched Selby a couple of times...glad to see him doing well. I know it's just summer league, but, hopefully, it carries over.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Josh, if you should happen to read any of these posts, know that the Jayhawk Nation is pulling for you. Best of good fortune for a super year in Memphis. I wish that you could have suited up for another year in the system, but thanks for the decision to come to Kansas.

Jeff Suther 2 years, 3 months ago

Doyle will transfer after this season and like i have said 100 times TROB misses 50me percent of his layups. I feel like im taking crazy pills. Unless he is dunking it he sucks at scoring around the rim.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 3 months ago

Excellent news about Doyle! As for being a sleeper, everything I read about him said since he committed so early he was pretty much ignored by the media. Most definitely he was overlooked. Welcome to Kansas, Milton Doyle!

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

TRob's low post scoring woes appear to result from his motor redlining on the rpm dial. I think he might be approaching the stage wherein he knows that scoring will eventually come to him, so long as he focuses on his rebounding prowess and a host of other team details. He seems to be a hair of a second too eager to get the ball in the basket when working against bigs, down low. Almost unbelievably frustrating, his bunnies rolling off the rim. Two more years of strength work coupled with patience absorbed from experience should help him over some current scoring humps. His neurons are still misfiring.

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like we have re-loaded. Looking forward to another outstanding season!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

It's always interesting to me the competition for each position. This year it will a little more interesting with some of the wildcards that we have and the replacements that need to come in. Also, with a big question at the guard and at the forward position and how it affects all of the players. I still think Bill Self is loving the idea that with all of the questions he gets a lot more time in the evaluation phase with the Europe trip.

I get the sense that JW if we play big in the lineup will basically be in there every game (teams that play small, he might be rotated out a little more). In addition, EJ wasn't the sharpshooter all of the time, but he was good at bringing the ball down here and there. I still don't think he will be the PG, as I've seen some people mention. I think all of the other starters will be fought out through the few weeks.

I'm really interested in our PG position, because last year it was clear who the PG was, this year, you have Tharpe, you have Doyle "the wild card" (pun intended), and maybe even a player that just is too good to keep on the bench. I do see Releford with a little more bench time this year because of BMac and the hype it seems this guy is getting.

There are a lot of big men to merge into the 4 and to back up at the 5, so I'm excited about #9.

I'm not really good at predicting lineups and understanding each position, but I know the 1 and 4 are going to be replaced, and that some of the consistency we saw last year at knocking down the open jumper might be addressed this year.

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

If BMac is giving Relly bench time at the 3, because Tharpe or Doyle are better at the point than EJ, and EJ is forced to the 2, we are going to be really, really good.

And if AW3 is burning nets at the 2, and Bmac at 3, That leaves only the 1, and EJ is NOT coming off the floor this year. IMHO of course.

It's looking good though, any way you slice it.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

The "Sleeper" has qualified. You wonder if Doyle is secretly rooting for NCAA make Dwayne Wade .. er, Anrio Adams their annual sacrificial lamb. For all of you who really think that the rest of the basketball world missed on Doyle and that he will have an immediate impact, the Europe trip will be a nice first glance. That will be our first real bit of evidence.

This is really good news from a depth standpoint, because Adams is on the edge.

Now, we are a number of weeks away from the initial Doylegasm when he committed. Where will the guy fit in and what should be our expectations?

Self said of Doyle: “I do think he can play some point,” Self said. “I think there’s a difference in being a point guard and being able to play some point. The way we play, whoever gets it brings it. Tyshawn (Taylor) wasn’t a true point, at least the way we played. Elijah (Johnson) is not a true point. We’ve got a lot of combo guards. He’ll be one of those combo guards. He is a good athlete, has great length,” Self said. “He has to get stronger, which is natural for all freshmen. He probably has to get where his stroke is a little more consistent. We have minutes to be earned back there from a depth standpoint. He should provide us extra depth, no question.”

That's as good of an indicator as anything.

He is just a freshman. With Self, that puts you behind the eight ball to begin with. He needs time to simply learn and develop. Obviously Self brought in mainly for depth, but also, likely, as a calculated gamble. And depth may not just be a consideration this season .. Doyle is a hedge against a recruiting miss or two, or McLemore being an unexpected 1+ and done.

Could he be forced into action by injury, or other circumstance? Sure. Is there a slim chance he is really the "Sleeper" and thus forces his way in this season? Sure. Don't hold your breath.

What is the more likely scenario? Doyle gets some time early, like the rest of the freshmen, but is lacking in some key element, isn't ready for prime time, and gets mop up time the rest of the way. That is to be expected.

Four scenarios I see for Doyle and/or Adams: 1. If Tharpe is a bust. I don't think he is, but there were a few warning signs there (and not just the short legs thing JB pointed out). If Tharpe is a bust, the door opens for one of these guys. Right now, can anyone argue that Doyle or Adams plays ahead of EJ, Releford, White, or McLemore? Tharpe's progress will be interesting to watch. 2. We overestimate White. What happens if White simply isn't ready for rotation minutes? That's another realistic door that can open. 3. Magic. Adams and/or Doyle simply are what their high school coaches have claimed, and we magically have a top 10, five star player. 4. Injury. The unexpected ... and that's another door that can open.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

(cont)

Realistically, though, the best way to judge if Doyle has true rotation potential is if he's here in 2013-14. It seems like it's a battle between Doyle and Adams (assuming recruiting efforts stay on track -- solid players coming in each season). Which one is here next season? Doyle now has a leg up because he's qualified. They seem like the same type of player to me.

Is it unrealistic to think that Doyle and Adams are battling for one scholarship in 2013-14? Maybe, but certainly not out of realm of reason.

If Doyle is not worthy of his scholarship, he won't be here in 2013-14. To me, that seems like the best barometer. If he's back, that will tell me something.

I think any expectations for Doyle beyond being emergency depth is unfair to the kid this season. This is truly a kid, if there ever was one, that we should all be ecstatic if we get anything out of. A player we can really just sit back and enjoy, without worrying about whether he's fulfilling his potential or expectations. And if he doesn't play, we don't give it a second thought.

Sam Constance 2 years, 3 months ago

Nice take. I agree with pretty much all of it.

I am encouraged/excited by our seeming extra depth this year. Not depth in the sense that Self is suddenly going to start rotating 10-11 guys, but in the sense that when he does arrive at his 7-8 man rotation, those 7-8 will be in there because they earned it against a roster full of promising, even if young and non-"elite", athletes at all positions.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

It now appears that everyone is "fully qualified to play," with the exception of Rio Adams. If Rio gets final NCAA clearance, then he and Milt will engage in a seasonlong battle for most playing minutes. Our practice squads should be loaded with competitive game-like conditions for 2012-13. If one of those two eventually transfers, he should have gained the skills to start for 75% of Div. I programs.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

In the past two weeks I have watched several Summer D-League games, where NBA rookies and hopeful veterans strive for attention and contract opportunities. These games remind me lots of h.s. McDonald's All-American contests, with focus on shooting and relatively low attention to patient patterned play. The thing which has caught my admiration most is point guard play, players like Aaron Miles and Kendall Marshall building assist numbers. I hope that Naadir Tharpe can become the steady super assist guard who can score 7-8 pts. per contest while logging as many assists. I look to see his turnover numbers on the decline this season; and hope he has developed the quickness and experience to stay in front of his man on defense. There should be lots of available guard minutes which are Naadir's, to fetch or lose, prior to league action when Bill Self settles into a 7 or 8 player rotation.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Mike Yoder, what a genius! The subtleties of your photo are beyond explanation. Nick Krug turns in some work like this from time to time. You're his alter-ego. Nice job!

Brian Skelly 2 years, 3 months ago

I've mentioned this in other posts before but it bears repeating. We're getting such a huge influx of players over the next two years (10?) that its hard to determine who will stick and who wont. I personally dont go overboard with the HS rankings and such simply because until these guys all mesh together you dont know who's in and who's out.

There simply isnt going to be enough PT to keep 10 (or more) highly recruited kids happy. It's a good problem to have of course. And you hope that a couple of them turn into stars and eat up even more PT. It's also not unrealistic to think that a couple of them turnout to not be nearly as good as advertised. As goes the merry go round.

Im glad we have this problem. And lets face it... of all coach Self's traits one of the best ones he seems to have is to get guys buying into their 'place' on the team -- all the while pushing them to improve themselves. I just wouldnt expect to see this same group of guys around next year, thats all.

ku_foaf 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand what you mean, but look at some of the teams we've had in the last 6 years. We have had entire teams where eveybody was good and we didn't have much weakness when substituting at all.

The right bunch of guys will play together and be glad their teammates are good, too. We could lose some, sure, but usually our transfers know they will never play, not because they will have to wait 1-2 years.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 3 months ago

It feels good to read some Jayhawk news while I am over here working in Venezuela....

Of course if I spoke Spanish it wouldn't be as bad here.

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

I know people will have mixed feelings about Isiah Thomas, but this is a pretty nice endorsement. "He would have put us on the map" That's pretty strong.

"Very rarely do you see a player in high school that has so many skills in terms of stuffing the stat sheet," Thomas said of Doyle. "He rebounds the ball well. He can score in a multitude of ways. He can score from the perimeter. He can score off the bounce. He can at the foul line, and he can score off rebounds. He's a guy who will always find a way to leave his mark on the game.

"For us at FIU, he would have been our first true impact player. He would have been to FIU what Johnny Dawkins was to Coach K (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski). He would have put us on the map."

tical523 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow! Thanks for posting those quotes, great stuff. I have never been so anxious/ curious for Hawk basketball.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

KGphoto,

Laying down a big league scoop on the pros.

Yo, Tom, Gary, Jesse, Matt, pay attention.

Its called local angle + Google.com = scoop.

PHOF to KGphoto.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 3 months ago

So he can score. The key to playing time for Doyle will be answering yes to the question of "Can he D it up?".

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Self likes size as well, especially for Defense, and people that can bring the ball down, when the defense holds (easy transition points): Jeff Withey 7'0" (legit) Big Man I think most of the new guys are 6'8 or a little more BMac, I believe is 6'6" along with Releford EJ is 6'5" and I believe Rio is the same

Where I think Tharpe will be in trouble is he is 5'11", and White and Doyle are 6'4".

I just think when Self puts a team on the floor he wants to be the better defensive team and those extra 3-5 inches make a difference. In addition, if these guys can shoot like we've heard...this will be an amazing year. I just hope Tharpe doesn't get frustrated if he comes off the bench.

Who would have guessed that having a Manning on KU, that he isn't really even mentioned in the rotation.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 3 months ago

Might want to fetch your measuring tape and redo your math... All of these guys are an inch or two shorter than listed. And half of them are not listed at the heights you mention. White is listed at 6'6" and he is not a point guard and will never be a point guard. Maybe you meant Adams. Rio and EJ are listed At 6' 4" but none of that matters. Good players will play, bad players won't. Yeah, Self likes length but he likes talent, effort and results. If Tharpe showed those. he would play-- even if only 5"5'.

sbenton 2 years, 3 months ago

I really like the Rio,Doyle,and White trio to back up Mac,TREL, and EJ. They remind me of Mario,Rush,RRob, and Sherron. I went back the other day and watched the NC/KU 2008 Final Four game, and was struck how far our defense extended,and how many T.O.s those guys created in that game. I love Tyrrel and Brady, but I just don't think we had the same quickness without Mario and the gang,and were vulnerable to the 3. i know that Doyle is getting all the press,but I think White could be the guy that we'll be talking about at year's end.