Originally published July 19, 2012 at 06:24p.m., updated July 19, 2012 at 11:46p.m.

Greg Gurley takes over as KU men’s basketball radio analyst

Former Kansas University guard Greg Gurley has been named radio analyst next to veteran play-by-play announcer Bob Davis for KU men’s basketball games this season, IMG sports network general manager Jason Booker announced Thursday.

Gurley, who played for KU from 1992-95, switches jobs with former KU forward Chris Piper, who becomes analyst next to Dave Armstrong on IMG TV network games.

Piper, who played at KU from 1984-88, worked on the radio crew the past six seasons. He replaced Max Falkenstien, who retired after 60 years broadcasting KU sports, following the 2005-06 season. Gurley worked TV the past five campaigns.

“I’d like to thank the Jayhawk IMG Radio Network and the University of Kansas for giving me the unbelievable opportunity to work on the radio broadcasts of the men’s basketball games,” Piper said Thursday. “It has been a tremendous honor to work with Bob Davis and the best coach in the country, Bill Self.

“My family has always been my first priority, and as my children get older, I find it harder and harder to be gone so much during the season. In addition, my business (Grandstand Sportswear and Glassware) continues to enjoy tremendous success, which requires even more of my time. Because of these factors, I’ve had to make the extremely hard decision to pull back from the radio broadcast team at this time.”

Gurley joined KU’s athletic department in the summer of 2011 as director of development for the Williams Education Fund.

“I’m looking forward to this opportunity,” Gurley said. “Not many have sat in that chair when you talk 60 years of Max (Falkenstien) and the (six) seasons Chris was there. Working with a legendary broadcaster like Bob Davis will be an honor. He is the best in the business.”

The IMG TV network annually carries approximately six KU games not aired by a national network.

“This is a natural switch,” KU coach Self said. “Greg has great experience and knows our program just like Chris does, and ‘Pipe’ will be able to stay active with the television broadcasts and have more time for his family and work.”

Gurley, a Leawood native who is a graduate of Shawnee Mission South, also worked 10 years as analyst for the 6 News Lawrence rebroadcasts of KU games. Gurley also spent more than 10 years as a college basketball studio analyst for Metro Sports in Kansas City, Mo.

Davis, a 13-time Kansas Sportscaster of the Year and KAB Hall of Fame member, will be starting his 29th season calling KU football and basketball. Engineer Bob Newton begins his 27th season on the radio broadcasts. The Jayhawk IMG Radio Network is part of IMG College Audio, which produces nearly 30,000 hours of college sports programming each year.

Elijah Johnson scrimmaging: KU senior guard Elijah Johnson, who had arthroscopic left knee surgery in mid-April, has taken part in scrimmage situations in KU’s first three (of 10) practices for the Jayhawks’ upcoming European tour.

“He’s probably 90 percent, just out of shape,” Self said, indicating Johnson would play in the four games in Switzerland and Paris.

Recruiting: KU coaches have been scouting Peach Jam AAU games of Chris McCullough, a 6-10, 220-pound junior power forward from Brewster Academy in Wolfboro, N.H. McCullough, who is ranked No. 12 nationally in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, has received scholarship offers from KU, Indiana, Florida, Villanova, Louisville, St. John’s, Pittsburgh, Arizona and others. The Peach Jam is being contested in North Augusta, S.C. ... Xavier Rathan-Mayes, a 6-4, 205-pound senior shooting guard from Huntington Prep in West Virginia, tells Rivals.com he has an offer from KU. The No. 48-rated Rathan-Mayes, who is originally from Toronto, lists KU, West Virginia, UConn, UCLA, USC, Kentucky, Louisville, Marquette and others.

Summer league: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson scored 15 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in Sacramento’s 91-82 win over Boston on Thursday in NBA summer league action in Las Vegas. Former KU forward Darnell Jackson had two points and two rebounds in nine minutes.

Comments

Jayhawk1958 7 years, 8 months ago

Good switch. I didn't really care for Gurley on Jayhawk TV. Talked too much.

jayhawkinnc 7 years, 8 months ago

I like Gurley, but there's just something about his delivery that is annoying to me......his speech sounds a little slurred like he's had some drinks or something. Good guy though.

kesdds 7 years, 8 months ago

I will miss Piper. This is a terrible hire. His voice isn't good enough for TV or radion. Would have been better served with David Lawrence or Brian Haney.

lewstinks 7 years, 8 months ago

I like to say Gurley has a face for radio and a voice for the deaf! (no malice intended toward the hearing impared!)

Jack Wilson 7 years, 8 months ago

This works for me .. I never listen to the game on the radio. And Piper is better than Gurley. And I like the ad for Snorgtees to the right. Hotties in undies are always nice.

741hawk 7 years, 8 months ago

I often have to mute the TV and listen to radio audio. Some of the regional (even national) broadcast teams are awful.

woodscolt 7 years, 8 months ago

I struggled with Piper when he first started but grew to rather like him to the point that I'm sorry to see him go. Didn't Gurley just take a job with the alumni or endowment or something like that. He will do a good job and, as did Piper, he will bring some humor to the broadcasts. Good luck Greg.

Now that I think about it, I rarely listen to the radio broadcast. I would if it could sync up with the tv broadcast.

jaybate 7 years, 8 months ago

What business is Chris Piper in that he refers to?

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 8 months ago

I think he owns something like Grandstand Sportswear in Lawrence? I may be mistaken, but I think that's it.

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 8 months ago

I think he owns something like Grandstand sportswear? Could be wrong though.

Mike Skiles 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to miss Chris on the radio broadcasts. Here in Texas, the radio feed is often all we can get here - I really enjoyed Chris' game coverage, as well as pre and post game. All the best to you, Chris!

riverdrifter 7 years, 8 months ago

Great choice! Gurley has a great voice, good delivery and is most welcome. This was overdue.

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 8 months ago

Chris did a great job to temper Bob at times when he got a little too carried away with the homerism, and I liked that he was like Self in that if KU wasn't playing well, he didn't pull any punches. He'll surely bring that to his new gig doing tv games, but in a much more limited role since they just don't have as many games on the Jayhawk network.

It is always nice to turn down Brent Mushmouth and Bob Knight (or Dookie V) and listen to someone actually call the game instead of fawning over each other. I think Gurley will do a great job with the new role and will definitely grow his talents with a great crew like Bob and Newtron.

rob4lb 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't get a change to listen often to the radio feed since most of the games are on TV and I don't live in the area. I will forever remember Chris Piper the broadcaster as someone who did drowned out Bob Davis's call of Mario Chalmers shot. See the link. Piper did what all of us did, I really would loved to hear the call from Bob Davis without Pipers' exaltation

KUFan90 7 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for posting this. I had never heard it. Although to be fair to Piper what do you expect him to do? I was screaming at the top of my lungs in the middle of a sports book in Vegas. Hard to sit there in silence and watch the biggest shot in KU history...

Robert Brown 7 years, 8 months ago

He mentioned that Piper was doing what all of us were doing. But as a color commentator he needs to let the play by play guy describe the action and he can comment afterward. I get chills hearing this but imagine how much better if you could hear Bob Davis's call.

waywardJay 7 years, 8 months ago

That's pretty much exactly. I'm not a big Piper fan, but I don't think he stepped on Bob's toes there.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Um, am I missing something? Yeah, Pipe said "Oh!," but other than that I heard Bob's call just fine. He chimed in with his color after Bob's call. I see absolutely no problem with that broadcast. In fact, hearing it again brought a smile to my face.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 8 months ago

When I listened to it closely it didn't seem to me that Bob was really saying anything while Chris is saying OHHHHH, except maybe for one word. And then he went right on.

Bpatt4 7 years, 8 months ago

Piper has the same annoying habit that Len Dawson has on Chiefs broadcasts...every time the team makes a mistake, he lets out an audible groan that cuts into the play-by-play (or in the case of "Mario's Miracle" a loud OHHHH! the killed what could have been one of the best calls in KU history). Dude, shut up so we can hear Bob. I can't say anything bad about Gurley, other than the fact that Davis and Newton are going to get a lot thinner now that they have to share the pre-game catering with the G-man. And no one will ever say "fluticasone proprianate" anywhere near as well as Max.

DCLawHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Great avatar Bpatt4. The Chiefs are my second sports passion (after the Jayhawks of course). What a clever way to change the Denver logo. Love it.

JJHAWK 7 years, 8 months ago

The one-way device that preceded the two-way device now know as a cell phone. Get in the right achives - there will be notes on it.

TGIF my fellow Jayhawkers.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 8 months ago

Gonna miss Piper. I'll hate it even more when Bob Davis retires though. He was, is, and always will be perfect for KU basketball.

jayhawkinnc 7 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding me? Bob sucks. He is never descriptive enough for radio. he does a poor job of telling you who has the ball, where they are on the court, and what they are doing with it. KU could do soooooooooo much better than bob davis.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 8 months ago

You are delusional. Bob Davis should have his own spot in the rafters when he retires.

Bee Bee 7 years, 8 months ago

What are u smoking. Bob Davis is a legend and one of the greats. Wake up man!

waywardJay 7 years, 8 months ago

I think most Jayhawk fans would be inclined to disagree, honestly. I think he needs to be there right with Max. I'm all about symmetry, and it's no symmetrical without both sides of the call.

Woody Cragg 7 years, 8 months ago

The only thing I really don't like about Chris is that he can be far too whiney-if I want that all I have to do is turn OFF the radio! TV is always much better media, but I grew up listening to anything & everything I could possibly find on a huge Hoffman short wave. We'd pick up police calls from Texas, faith healers in Louisiana, & the Wolfman Jack from Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico, transmitted through Del Rio,Texas. Mom & Dad told us they used to pick up Tokyo Rose on it in the 40's-before my time I might add. I listened to the 52 & 57 NC games on an old green Philco table top, which could be moved from room to room for much better reception with a small wire lead to the antenna. I picked up that trick from my Dad. I guess poor people had poor ways, but it really was the way of life back then. Many a sweltering summer night I spent sleeping on an army cot on the porch in the breeze cause it seemed that the swamp cooler didn't do a darn thing. I always had a radio with me whenever I could, and I'm still that way today. However, Sirrius radio absolutley kicks a$$!

Jason Stubbs 7 years, 8 months ago

Sad day in KANSAS basketball radio history and I really enjoyed Chris Piper on the radio.

Stan Unruh 7 years, 8 months ago

Bob and Chris do an outstanding job. I always tune in the radio and watch the TV with the sound off. Will really miss Piper. Greg is weak on TV but that is probably because Dave Armstrong is mediocre.

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 8 months ago

Horrible hire! Gurley his voice is very bad match.

jhox 7 years, 8 months ago

Hurley will be fine. He has a great understanding of the game, and he can be unbiased, which is a good thing because Davis seems to have some trouble with that.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 8 months ago

One of the Hurleys is leaving coaching? Snicker....

Mike George 7 years, 8 months ago

Just my opinion, but too bad mushmouth gurley is still in broadcasting at all.

thejhawk93 7 years, 8 months ago

This is a TERRIBLE hire by the radio network. I like Greg as a person, but he is AWFUL on tv and radio. His voice is monotone, he sounds like he's been drinking, and he is boring to listen to. My GOD, I guess i'm going to have to listen to Vitale now when ESPN is doing our games - what a shame.

REHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Lordy, nothing is as bad as listening to that motormouth Vitale ramble off and away about his toenails...or whatever! Surely you jest!

REHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Good to hear that EJ's knee is back to 90%, and that he likely will play in Europe. I have been waiting to read write-ups about official summer practices. Figured that Bill must have locked the doors on LJW reporters...or that they had discovered an air conditioned bar to avoid sweltering summer hoops detail. Perhaps the scramble to identify and match up so many new faces with jersey numbers has brought a temporary halt to July practice news coverage....

Tony Bandle 7 years, 8 months ago

I have the answer.....bring back Max.

Let him do a simultaneous TV and radio broadcast, then you all can turn both down and watch the game as if you were in Allen and didn't need anyone yelling in your ear what your eyes are actually seeing!! :)

Chad DeShazo 7 years, 8 months ago

I'll miss Chris on the radio. Thinking back, I think the reason I've always really liked him in the color spot was his occasional comments regarding the deeper analysis of a play. For example, someone would set a screen and Pipe would talk about that specific screen (in what situations it could be used, where on the floor the player should be, the timing of it, and what HCBS would say about the player using it in that situation.) It's these little kernels of knowledge that you can't hear anywhere else that I really enjoyed. Sure, you can hear him groan when he sees that screen done wrong, but I kind of like the enthusiasm and knowing that he's about to explain what it was about the play that was done incorrectly. He has made me a more thoughtful and knowledgeable basketball viewer.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 8 months ago

I feel bad saying this, but I never really liked Gurley on the TV play-by-play. Nothing against him personally, I just thought he was a bit lackluster and (as others have mentioned) sounded half-drunk.

And oh, sweet "Orange" Dave Armstrong. I love the 'Hawks as much as anyone, but that guy is a homer beyond belief. I know the article isn't about him, but seriously, you're not in Jersey and KU sometimes makes mistakes. It's alright, bud!

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 8 months ago

At least it will be good to have Piper to deflect from Armstrong a little on the TV broadcasts.

DCLawHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

I mean no disrespect to Bob Davis, Dave Armstrong, or anyone else, but Kevin Harlan is far and away the best play-by-play man in my book. I love it on the all-too-rare occasions when he has a chance to call a KU Jayhawks basketball game (typically during the tourney) or KC Chiefs football game. I hope he is doing the radio for Monday Night Football again this year.

jayhawkinnc 7 years, 8 months ago

DCLawHawk: I couldn't agree with you more on your above post. You have great taste!!!

saggybeakjayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Kevin Harlan, Seriously? Kevin Harlan is NOT the True voice of a JAYHAWK! People didn't like the thought of Piper to fill the the seat next to Bob when Max retired from his service to KU. No one can EVER fill the shoes of the great Max. Piper did his best and he did a job worthy of praise. Now you are cutting Gurley down before he has taken his position next to Bob. I know we have seen him on TV with Armstrong but give him the opportunity to show his stuff for a season on the radio. Then see if he is a fit with Bob and if not THEN make your remarks aaaaaand write in aand ask for him to be replaced. He may surprize you and you wil love him there.

kugrad93 7 years, 8 months ago

What's your problem with Harlan? He is a KU grad.

Jeff Lough 7 years, 8 months ago

Will definitely miss the insights and bite from Mr. Piper.

PsychHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Terrible, horrible, awful, ridiculous hire. Gurley is irritating at his best and makes me mute the TV at his worst. His comments add nothing, and he sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles. Piper is articulate, insightful, and has a good broadcast voice. I wonder who Gurley has incriminating photos of that got him this gig.

Steve Stucky 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm not a huge Gurley fan, either. But, please. Do we still have to listen to whiney bob davis for another season? Argghhhhhhhhhh. That was me slitting my throat.