Monday, July 16, 2012

KU recruit Conner Frankamp breaks foot

Kansas commit Conner Frankamp, center, watches from behind the bench prior to tipoff against Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Future Kansas University basketball player Conner Frankamp suffered a hairline fracture in a bone in his left foot in an AAU basketball tournament Sunday in St. Louis.

Frankamp, a 6-foot-1 senior point guard from Wichita North who plays for KC Run GMC, told the Journal-World in a phone interview that he is expected to miss four to eight weeks of basketball. He’s going to be re-examined on Tuesday, but at this point thinks he’ll definitely miss the rest of the summer season.

“I went up for a layup, and a kid (from Oklahoma team in third-place game) took me out,” Frankamp said. “I came down, and my foot went backwards. It’s a good time for me to rest, but I sure will miss playing.”

Frankamp recently helped the U.S. Under 17 basketball team to a gold medal at the FIBA world championships in Lithuania.

“It was an unbelievable summer, a dream come true. It’s been one of the best summers of my life even though I hurt my foot,” Frankamp said.

Earlier Sunday, Frankamp joked on Twitter: “Well a broken bone in my foot isn’t a good present the day before my birthday. I can’t believe I turn 17 tomorrow (today).”

Summer league: Former KU forward Markieff Morris scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the Phoenix Suns’ 99-74 summer league victory over the Knicks Sunday in Las Vegas.

Darnell Jackson with Kings: Former KU forward Darnell Jackson is serving as a mentor for his 16 Sacramento Kings teammates who are playing NBA summer league basketball in Las Vegas.

“You’re going to Vegas,” Jackson told cowbellkingdom.com. “You’ve got gambling, you’ve got clubs, partying, beautiful women around and it’s open to the public.

“Everybody’s out auditioning,” added Jackson, 26, who played last year in Ukraine after playing for the Kings two seasons ago. “You’re auditioning not just for the Kings, you’re auditioning for every team in the NBA. So you have to be respectful, on the court and off the court. Just be professional whatever you’re doing.”

Jackson’s leadership skills just might land him a spot on the Kings’ roster.

“At the end of the day, everybody’s a human being (and) everybody makes mistakes,” Jackson said. “You’ve just got to tell them. Some guys are stubborn, some guys listen.”

Of his year in Ukraine, Jackson told the Sacramento Bee: “Not going to lie — it was the hardest experience I ever had in my basketball career. But it was a great experience. It was a challenge.”

Jackson averaged 3.2 points and 1.6 rebounds while playing a little more than eight minutes a game for the Kings in 2010-11. With the lockout in effect, he signed with B.C. Donetsk of the Ukrainian League.

“I think the biggest thing that helped me over there is finding who I really am as a person and a basketball player,” Jackson told the Bee. “Being over there yourself for a few months, it was hard. Having my girl come over with me helped me a lot. I was calling home every day: ‘I’m quitting, I’m quitting, I’m coming home.’ But the biggest thing I love is, I love challenges. The coach I had was always prepared, every day, and everything was full-speed. I loved it, and the guys were in shape. I just thank the Lord I’m back home in the States.”

Recruiting: Demetrius Jackson, a 6-1 senior point guard from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., tells Rivals.com he plans to visit KU and Illinois in August. He’s also considering Notre Dame and Louisville. KU and Louisville have not yet offered scholarships.

Jacque to Magic?: Former KU guard Jacque Vaughn is front-runner for the head-coaching position with the NBA’s Orlando Magic, the Orlando Sentinel reports. Others who have interviewed: Philadelphia 76ers associate head coach Michael Curry, Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek and Phoenix Suns player development coach Lindsey Hunter. Vaughn, 37, was an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs the past two seasons. He played 12 seasons in the NBA, including a stint with Orlando in 2002-03.

Comments

BillSelf4Prez 2 years ago

And it's his birthday today...

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years ago

Please find something else to obsess over

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

This from someone who wanted Tulane to join the big 12.

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

Well I live near Tulane too, but wouldn't want KU playing them just so I could see them play.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years ago

is there anything more loser-ish than anonymously ripping a 17-year-old on the internet?

Seriously.

Think about it. Try to comprehend what a loser you are.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

Sorry to hear about Conner's foot.

He's young, He'll heal quickly.

Better that he broke it this year than next, though.

Hopefully, in his down time he won't read this website and find out what a bunch of ___'s (fill in your favorite expletive) some " fans " can be.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years ago

That is a big jump for Jacque...gues it's not unheard og though going fro being an assistant for only two years to an NBA head coach. My favorite Jayhawk...also my classmate at KU...only wish him the best. If it is not this gig I have no doubt he will land the next one and be a GREAT coach.

RCJH

ttoulouse 2 years ago

Holy crap! That Jacque Vaughn spot jumped out at me - wow! can't imagine him as a head coach in the NBA but obviously someone thinks he's ready.

AsadZ 2 years ago

Good luck to Conner, Darnell (one of my favorite Jayhawks) amd Vaughn. Jayhawk legacy continue to grow.

I hope Jackson can play for Kings. He would be a great mentor for T-Rob

DocBean 2 years ago

If Jacque gets the job at Orlando, he'll make it easy for me to pick my favorite NBA team. He is my all time favorite Jayhawk, and my wife is from Orlando, so I'll finally have a team that I can root for above all others.

Alohahawk 2 years ago

Happy birthday, Conner. Not the best of presents, breaking a bone, but at least it was at a time when major competition isn't a factor.

Good luck, Jacque! That will be great if you get the position. What a great opportunity. And a nice coaching tree addition for the KU family.

Glad to hear Darnell still has possibilities in the NBA. Good luck there as well, Darnell. As with all Jayhawks, the Jayhawk Nation wishes you the best.

Andy Rieger 2 years ago

Jacque to Orlando is the highlight here. Unbelievable that he was at KU just 15 years ago. Could be one of the quickest ascents from Player to Coach in the NBA. Out of the NBA for only 1 year, assistant for 2, then head coach. Can we please call him HCJV?

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Let's see.....July 15, 2012 to mid-October, 2013...yep, I'd say he has time to recover!!

Hey, come on....give Conner some haircut love. It looks like he will be pretty much bald by his mid-twenties, so he's doing everything he can to his look his age now.

Regarding the shirt...he's just protecting his fair skin from the globally heated, diminished O-Zone.

I agree with Jaybate...look at the size of those mitts on this kid!! It looks like he could palm an award-winning watermelon!!

He finished getting the gold medal...school dooesn't start for another six weeks and basketball is another month after that...he'll do great. Let see if his rankings drop, however.

Jonathan Allison 2 years ago

you mean... "let's see how far his ranking drops, however"

jaybate 2 years ago

JV is sooooooo the right choice for that franchise, though Hornie might be nearly as good and a bit farther a long in coaching development. But he's not a Jayhawk, so JV is the clearly superior choice.

And if they give JV a shot now, they are creating a future hall of fame coach, because of his age. He will have time to make some mistakes, get better and live long and prosper. He has Doc Rivers-style brains and insight for sure, and is probably even smarter. Get him a great KU player to anchor that franchise in the next couple of years, and he'll be in the Finals in no time.

JV has the IQ, the wiliness and the NBA experience on and off the floor to keep the superstars on task. Who would you rather play for? Jaque Vaughn or Erik Spoelstra?

JV got more out of what he had at the PG than just about any other PG I can recall.

He couldn't shoot a lick, but he could still go get a basket; that to me is one of the ultimate tests of a guy's basketball IQ. Can he overcome a basic deficiency and still become a player. The great ones have almost no deficiencies that mortals have. The next tier down, the guys with great athleticism, but missing a piece from their game on account of not being given the knack by god, those guys are the ones where basketball IQ manifests most clearly, if they become good players. And man, did he play to the edge of his envelope!!!!

I always hoped he would one day be in the fray for a shot at the KU head job, whenever Bill and Cin finally decide to go down to Grand Cayman and count rings in retirement.

Now maybe he will be, especially if The Mayor flourishes at ISU after his NBA career.

I am not preferring JV to Danny, or any other Jayhawk great.

I am looking forward to the time 10, 15, or 20 years from now, when Bill says, "Baby, let's have some fun in the sun," and tells a Chancellor, "Here is my recommendation on the next KU coach." And the recommendation is a list of 15 guys and all of them are Jayhawks. One is Danny. One is Turg. One is Pritch. One is Nick. One is JV. Maybe one is Rex, or Jerrod. And the rest are Self guys, like Mike Lee, maybe Mario Chalmers, maybe Paul Pierce, maybe Russell Robinson (my personal favorite), maybe jeremy, maybe Jeff and so on.

jaybate 2 years ago

Erratum: meant to move Pierce up to the first part of the list. I realize he was not one of Self's players.

texashawk10 2 years ago

If the Dwight Howard to Houston trade ever happens, Marcus Morris is going to be part of that trade so Vaughn would have a KU player on the roster.

jaybate 2 years ago

All Jayhawks. Every last one of them. Guys that have proven as coaches that they have what it takes.

And Bill says, "Anyone of them can carry on the legacy at a high level. Anyone of them can win you a ring with some talent. Anyone of them can bring in the kind of talent you need. Anyone of them can carry on The Legacy. Anyone of them will try to do it the right way. Anyone of them is better than anyone else you will find from any other program. I have kept all of them a part of the program to the extent they wanted to be a part of the program. Some are mine. Some are Roy's. Some are LB's. But every one of them is all Jayhawk."

Then he pauses.

"Anyone one of them would want to beat Missouri into the next century, if once in a blue moon we run into them in the Madness. Anyone of them can take down UNC the way I always did."

Then he pauses once more.

"I grew up Okie. I spoke Okie. My Dad, and Iba, and Doyle, and Paul and Leonard and Eddie were my legacy. I saw LB and KU up close once when I was a wet behind the ears GA. I knew it was the kind of place for me, but I did not really understand what it meant to be a Jayhawk till I got here. I was hot stuff before I got here. I believed I could be the best there was in my generation. I knew KU was a place where I would have a chance to prove it."

Then another pause.

"But I didn't know what The Legacy was really all about until 2009, the year after my first ring team; that was the year the fans appreciated me as much as they had my ring team; that was the year I understood what Roy had meant, when he had said after a year back at his alma mater, "They drive all the way from western Kansas to see a night game against a cupcake in snow when its zero." KU was the first place where the people, the fans, actually understood what I was doing, not all of them, but most of them. They didn't all agree, but they understood. Coming from Illinois, it was like being a French teacher in Beijing and getting a job at the Sorbonne in Paris."

A final pause.

"I know you used to have to go outside the program for someone like me and Roy, but you don't have to any more. I'm all Jayhawk now. I know what it means. Get yourself a Jayhawk and I don't care which one it is on this list. They all have the right stuff. Rock Chalk. And I finally don't have to say I'm shaving the beard in two weeks."

REHawk 2 years ago

Is comforting to know that we have so many bright earnest former Jayhawks winding their way up the spiral coaching staircase. Some day Bill Self will wave a fond goodbye. Hopefully, Danny or one of our KU heroes will step forth to take the throne.

REHawk 2 years ago

Happy Birthday, Conner. Mend quickly, so that you experience a marvelous senior season. We look forward to your arrival in Lawrence in 10 months. Please disregard anyone who dogs you about your pate or anything else about your preferences or style. Your Jayhawk essence lies in your ballhandling skills and solid defense. I am anxious to see you jogging thru the tunnel, warming up for your first game in crimson and blue (and white).

Freedman Moor 2 years ago

Back in '08, Darnell Jackson was in the game late during an early season blow out. When the camera showed Darnell talking to the young guys in the huddle, the announcer raved about his leadership, pointing out, "Only one person is talking in that huddle". I've looked at Darnell differently after that game. That guy is going to be one hell of coach one day.

KU's next coach.

KU's next coach. by Freedman Moor

Sam Constance 2 years ago

Tough luck Connor. But don't take it personally when the groupthink over at Rivals and ESPN drop you out of the top 100 recruits. They tend to evaluate KU players and players who are "out of sight" unfairly, imho.

All kidding aside, Connor will be fine. I'm glad he was able to finish out his gold medal run before the injury.

Vaughn will be a great coach. And since Dwight Howard is a self-ascribed KU fan, maybe he will actually listen to a head coach who is a Jayhawk. He seemed to get a little insubordinate under SVG the past couple years. That being said, it seems like SVG has a somewhat abrasive style as a coach. I believe Shaq described him as a "Master of Panic" after his year playing for him in Miami.

Jonathan Allison 2 years ago

We've seens lots of players get hairline fractures, stress fractures, and stress reactions. It sounds like it shouldn't cause him any permanent loss of athleticism. I know that we've seen several players at KU go out with these kinds of stress fractures/reactions/hairline fractures and not get back to full speed for a long time (perhaps because they sometimes undergo surgery in order to try to speed recovery, and maybe return to action too quick?). It's too bad that Conner's going to miss 4 weeks of AAU action, but in the long run it might be good for him to rest his legs a little bit this summer.

Best of luck to Darnell! He deserves to get back into the NBA.

Also I would love to see Jacque Vaughn as an NBA head coach!

stratoblaster83 2 years ago

They should look at Tyler Furnas, Mason, OK. Same size, quicker, 50% from the arc, and smart to the game.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Ralster, point taken....I was 6'-3"/190 lbs as a freshman at Kansas and graduated 6'-4"/205 lbs.

HAWKS1 2 years ago

ManginoHole, what's wrong with the kid's hair and clothes? A long-sleeved Jayhawk T in the middle of winter makes perfect sense to me. As for the hair - athletes that don't obsess about appearance prefer short no-styling-required haircuts so they don't have to mess with it every time they shower, which in his case may be several times per day since he is probably in and out of the gym many times daily - He works his ass off. Fortunately, I'm sure he doesn't give a d&#(n what you think of him. Get a life and grow up.

AsadZ 2 years ago

Here is an article on Parker and it appears that his college decision will also be a hat pick up exercise which would not bode well for KU

wildjayhawk 2 years ago