Monday, July 16, 2012

Ex-KU assistant Chuck Long taking year off

Three years removed from sitting on the sidelines for a season after being fired by San Diego State, former Kansas University offensive coordinator Chuck Long plans to take another year off from coaching.

“I’m telling people this is my red-shirt year,” Long told Steve Batterson of the Quad-City Times during a recent interview in Bettendorf, Iowa, at the Legends of Iowa Football Camp. “I never had one in college, but I’m enjoying one now.”

Long, the former Heisman Trophy runner-up who served as the leader of KU’s offense for two seasons under former head coach Turner Gill, said he was looking forward to spending the fall watching his son, Zach — also a quarterback — play his senior year of high school ball in Norman, Okla. Although Long coached at two different schools since his days as an offensive assistant at Oklahoma, his family returned to Norman when Long took the job at KU.

“I’ll probably help out a bit with the team there,” Long told the paper. “I’m looking forward to that. When you coach, family time is tough to come by. That is one of the reasons this fall will be special.’’

Sources told the Journal-World that Long also had agreed to a deal with the Big Ten Network to serve as an unpaid, part-time broadcaster for the network this fall. Long will continue to draw his $350,000 annual salary from KU until next summer.

Attempts to reach the network for this story were unsuccessful.

In addition to spending time back where he starred as a college QB and enjoying extended time with his family, Long made visits to a handful of college and professional programs this offseason.

“I’ve had a chance to go out and view a lot of practices and watch how people do things differently from one place to another, picking up things along the way,” Long said. “That’s been good for me. This year is giving me a chance to recharge a little bit and look forward to the future. By the end of the year, I’m sure I’ll be ready to get back at it.”

Big 12 media days nearing

Next week will be a week of firsts for new Kansas coach Charlie Weis and new conference schools TCU and West Virginia at the annual Big 12 Conference media days in Dallas.

Weis, along with the head coaches from the league’s other nine schools and anywhere from three to five players from each program, will get the chance to speak with media members from around the country about the upcoming season.

Quarterback Dayne Crist, offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson and defensive end/linebacker Toben Opurum — all senior captains — will be KU’s player representatives.

The Jayhawks are scheduled to take their turn at the podium July 24.

Comments

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought he took last year off as well...............

Bryan Anderson 2 years, 4 months ago

He should be well rested after taking the last 2 years off as well.

edmondjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I hear he's also changing his name..Chuck "third and" Long.

bigtex 2 years, 4 months ago

I never saw a coach sell out his players like good old Chuck "third and" Long. The sad thing about the sell outs was the media and public believed his BS until they realized that Chuck and Turner after 2 years were pretty much idiots. Could be the worst offensive play calling I ever saw in Division I football. Chuck and Turners hiring will go down as the worst hiring in KU football history. As a fan it was hard to stomach, I cannot imagine what Mangino's players were going through with these morons in charge.

741hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

"His family returned to Norman when Long took the job at KU." Shows his commitment to the job and to KU. This staff was a fraud . . . and was led by the biggest fraud of them all.

danno1313 2 years, 4 months ago

Chuck should make arrangements during his time off to return to the KU campus. He can bring back some of the money he stole. Gill also. Like Frank and Jessie James!

kureader 2 years, 4 months ago

... coach a year or two ... take a year off and live on your severance (San Diego State) ... coach another year or two ... take a couple years off and live on your severance (KU). What a deal. I don't know whether to be disgusted or jealous.

+++++++++++++++++++++ Incidentally, thanks again, Lew. Including YOU, we're paying more than a dozen people to NOT work at KU ... between 13 and 15 million. Ironic ... we can't get current coaches to live in Lawrence, and we can't get former AD's to leave.

number1jayhawker 2 years, 4 months ago

If you are talking about Tim Grunhard not living in Lawrence, he lives in JoCo which is only a 35 - 40 minute drive.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

This is a great tactical move by Long. Rumor around some coaching circles is that they have figured out a pattern in his play calling. Run, Run, Short pass in 3rd and long. It's best for him to sit out a year or so and let things settle down a bit.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

His offense was prettty darn "offensive".

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

Let's all give him credit...he was very consistent with his fourth down play call of "punt". Although one of them I think went backwards for 52 yards or something like that. I think he thought you could throw it over the punters head for a pass. Hopefully, that didn't bring up a bad memory.

David Leathers 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys, we need to lighten up on Chuck. Hell, just look at amazing job he did at getting the offense off the field. I think, at the very least, that someone should give him a shot at defensive coordinator.

Lance Cheney 2 years, 4 months ago

"... taking a year off..." (Read: "can't find work anywhere, because nobody is stupid enough to make the same mistake we did.")

Micky Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Chuck Long might be taking the rest of his career off with the incompetence he displayed for two years at Kansas.