Wednesday, July 11, 2012

KU-Michigan State basketball game will be part of ESPN marathon

The Kansas men’s basketball team's game against Michigan State on Tuesday, Nov. 13, will be part of ESPN’s College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon, the network announced Wednesday.

The KU-MSU contest is part of the Champions Classic played at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The game will air at 6 p.m. followed by Duke facing Kentucky.

ESPN’s College GameDay will lead into the Kansas-Michigan State contest beginning at 5 p.m.

This is the second year of a three-year cycle for the Champions Classic and the second straight year the event has been part of the ESPN College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. Last year, the Kansas-Kentucky game in Madison Square Garden in New York also was part of ESPN’s 24-hour coverage.

In November of 2013, the Champions Classic will move to the United Center in Chicago, where Kansas will play Duke and Michigan State will face Kentucky.

2012 ESPN College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon Schedule

Monday, Nov. 12-Tuesday, Nov. 13

11 p.m. CST: West Virginia at Gonzaga

1 a.m.: Davidson at New Mexico

3 a.m.: Houston Baptist at Hawaii

5 a.m.: Stony Brook at Rider

7 a.m.: Northern Illinois at Valparaiso

9 a.m.: Harvard at Massachusetts

11 a.m.: Temple at Kent State

1 p.m.: Detroit v St. John’s

3 p.m.: Butler at Xavier

5 p.m.: College GameDay covered by State Farm (live from the Georgia Dome; Atlanta, Ga.)

6 p.m.: Kansas vs. Michigan State (Champions Classic, Georgia Dome; Atlanta, Ga.)

(Approx 30 min following MSU/KU): Duke vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic, Georgia Dome; Atlanta, Ga.)

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Ohhhh man! We are going to blow Izzo's doors off. But, I would like to formally invite Mr. Withey, Mr. Ellis, Mr. Traylor, Mr. Young, Mr. Wesley, (and Peters & Lucas) to this early season "toughening box" aka, facing MichiganState. Ask the frosh Twins what impression MichSt left on them...I predict a win, but it will be a Big10 style battle, but Self knows all about that from his Illini days, and as Self's initial ku detractors used to gripe: "aw, he (Self) is just gonna play that Sutton ball, walk-it-up, 55-point bruiser ball" (lamenting the percieved loss of finesse-speedball under Roy. I hope those people now realize a Self-built team can run it any style, and win pretty or win ugly, but the high%looks and tight D give you a chance vs. every single foe, including a OAD team stacked with lotto picks. (Just gotta not miss 3 dunks, and maybe hit 2 more FTs...). Who ya think is more nervous about the matchup: Izzo or Self?????

texashawk10 7 years, 10 months ago

In all honesty to your question at the end, it's probably Self. Izzo has never been afraid to lose a game or two in November to get players experience that benefits them greatly in March. Tom Izzo is one of the few coaches that is on par with Self and could probably legitimately be considered to be a better coach considering he's never had a 4 year player not go to a Final Four. That is impressive and something not even Bill Self can claim.

ChicagoJHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, that's awesome! You would think this is something the LJW would have posted... I kept checking the website over the last few days and didn't see anything. I had to go to youtube to find it!

clevelandjayhawker 7 years, 10 months ago

Will be a fun way to see our young team get a lot of experience. July 2012 and now all I can think about is playing duke, I can guess which commentator will have the call and with that i put the over /under at 500 on the phrase "Awesome Baby!" glad there is a mute button.

Will be interesting to see how the PT is disbursed, will Self use 10+ players or go with around 8?

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 10 months ago

You are going to have a long wait until we play Duke, unless of course we meet up in the NCAA tourney this year.

Cameron Cederlind 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't see him using more than 8, it's not smart to use more than 8. He'll start the year off rotating maybe 8-10 players but settle on a final 8 solid players. Even the national championship team only rotated 7 players (8 if you include injured Roderick Stewart). You can't rotate 10 guys on a team and stil have a smooth flow to the game with all the players meshing together.

Chuck Woodling 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure the worldwide leader appreciates the free pub.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

5 a.m.: Stony Brook at Rider

I'm going to have to set the alarm for this one. I've been waiting all my life for this game......

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

Just fly to London..it will be 11:00 am and you can have some bangers and crumpets with jelly and cream as part of your morning brunch.

Chris Bruning 7 years, 10 months ago

almost had the drink go down the wrong tube, lol

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 10 months ago

The 3am Houston Baptist v. Hawaii game peeks my interest. I guess I haven't seen Houston Baptist play in.........well, never actually. I guess they were one of few teams who could play at such an early hour and not run the risk of hangovers!

Dan Cook 7 years, 10 months ago

Houston Baptist with new Asst Coach Jeremy Case!

Woody Cragg 7 years, 10 months ago

My 2nd fav time of year next to March-sittin by a roaring fire, consuming great fruits of the harvest, and watching our beloved Jayhawks surge forth on a new season of excellence. Not perfection mind you, but it's always the cream of the crop. Other guilty pleasures are just plain over rated, if you get my drift!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 10 months ago

How ironic is it that we get to be in the game that College Game Day will lead in to? Of course, the reigning NC, KY gets to play in the prime time game, at 8:00 ish, which cuts them out of the longer broadcast spotlight that starts at 5:00, one hour before our tipoff.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Knowing ESPN's favoritism, you can almost bet that the 5PM lead in will be all about Kenstinky and last year's 5 OAD's (or what ever their total was last year). The championship game against KU will merit it's share of comments, but the majority will probably be about the later game, and Cal Lie Pari's Frosh recruits for the season. I wish it wasn't so, and hope that the Jayhawks are impressive (ie. win, period.) against MSU.

Will also be interesting to see what type of crowds they have attend the games. With it being on the East Coast, Kenstinky and Duke will have an advantage with the shorter distances to travel. Will they devy up the ticket sales, or will it be an open market, first come, first served? Whatever, it should be a good barometer on how the Jayhawks will be perceived starting the season, with so many questions to be answered and so many new faces.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 10 months ago

Atlanta is not exactly on the East Coast. The Georgia Dome is large enough that it'll be hard to tell the makeup of the crowd. But, I went to a KU - Ga. Tech. game at Ga Tech a few years ago and was amazed at the KU contingency. Since it's a weeknight, it will be a little hard for a lot of students to be there. Mich. St. will have the fewest fans, followed by Duke. Kinfolky travels well as does KU.

Alex Peekeaton 7 years, 10 months ago

Kentucky will have more fans at the Georgia Dome than the other 3 teams combined....there is a reason they call it Cat*lanta

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Like I posted above, the Kenstinky game will be the one that the biased East Coast commentators will talk about the most. On Zagsblog.com the recent headline reads, "UK-Duke highlights ESPN college hoops tip off". There's a small mention that KU plays MSU, but the rest of the article spotlights whether N. Noels will qualify for the 2012-2013 season. Hope the testers fingerprint the person taking the tests to make sure it really is Noel that is tested, or Cal Lie Pari might use some of his underhanded tricks to get him passed, like he has with at least one of his previous players.

As for Bttball2012's comments (here and previously), obviously, Kenstinky's troll(s) can't find anything worth reading on their own boards (Do they even have any?), so they feel they have to visit our board instead. I'm not someone who purposely walks into someone's home to try to stir up trouble, so I don't visit other college boards, and I never will. WheooWee!! I just wish they'd keep their unwanted, awful stench (to substitute an uncensorable word for it) at home, alongside Cal Lie Pari and his slush fund recruits. Kenstinky plus Missery. Wow!!. What a matching pair. Interesting that BBall2012 doesn't have pride enough to use any direct reference to Kenstinky in their poster name. Instead, they hide behind a name that fits them: "B(tth*le)Ball2012".

Alex Peekeaton 7 years, 10 months ago

Dude, your obsession with Kentucky is at an all time high!!! ...Half of your posts are all based upon ditching Kentucky...Time to get over the National Championship loss!!!

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

You must not have read many, if any, of my previous posts (Who cares what you read, anyway?), because Kenstinky trolls aren't the only trollers about which I've made comments. They/you just happen to be the worst of the bunch.

As for it being my obsession? Your statement would make me laugh, if it wasn't so absurd. Who's the one who's so disillusioned (Sorry for usng so many big words here. Afraid you will have to look them up in the dictionary to find out what they all mean.) that you're "obsessed" with visiting a board representing another college, just to make cutting, snide remarks on that board? I don't visit other boards because I have no interest in them. And, I leave the posters to say on their boards whatever they want to say. They have that privilege and right, yourself included. But I don't like having some riff-raff from another board (beit Kenstinky or any other college), spouting bull that I end up wasting my time reading. You sound like an individual who would walk into a red-neck bar and yell "I hate rednecks.", just to stir up trouble. And you probably woldn't have enough sense to know better. The world needs less trouble makers, and obviously, you seem to fall into that category.

As for your statement that I'm "obsessed" with the championsip loss to Kenstinky: I consider the odds were over-whelmingly in favor of a Kenstinky blow-out, and that KU proved that, even with the limited amount of resources Coach Self had last season, that the Jayhawks almost beat a team of (according to the NBA draft results) NBA qualified, 5 star OAD recruits. I can only imagine what Coach Bill Self could have done with that much talent. Definitely have gone unbeaten. In fact, with the talent Cal Lie Pari keeps bringing in, I'm surprised he doesn't win by an average of 50 points a game, and go unbeaten every season. What a joke!

I'll now know in the future I won't need to read anything with your nom de plume on it ("Nom de plume", that's your poster name, BTW.). So, as for my reading it, you'll be wasting time posting anything on this board in the future. I have too many other worthwhile things to do than posting internet arguments with an Idiot (That's with a capital "I".). As I indicated above, keep your dodo (Hawaiian word for a censored, 4 letter word) where it belongs, back in your own outhouse. Oops, I mean on your own boards, if you even have any.

DRsmith 7 years, 10 months ago

Should be a good one. At least you don't have to play the juggernaut aka, UK.

Cameron Cederlind 7 years, 10 months ago

We had zero experience last year, only 1 starter came back. This year we at least have 3 starters that all played in the National Championship plus a European tour that will no doubt give these players time to sort more things out.

Alan Dickey 7 years, 10 months ago

Self has not had a four-year player that he coached all four years at KU not go to a Final Four. His first year at KU was 03-04; he had no seniors in 06-07; and he went to the Final Four in 07-08 and in 11-12.

Michael Pannacciulli 7 years, 10 months ago

Izzo is one of the greats..really impressive what he has done there.

John Randall 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't think the Wooden Era at UCLA should be mentioned without due credit to Sam Gilbert. Wooden had plenty of years before that with not even a NCAA appearance, both before and after he took the UCLA job.

jgkojak 7 years, 10 months ago

Izzo is probably the coach I would most compare Self to out there -

seems like he's pretty similar in his high level of expectation and approach.

This year's team has a shot to be really good if Withey plays to his ceiling.

Either way, all those newcomers this year, if history is a guide, should be competing in a NC game in 2014 and/or 2015.