Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Three Jayhawks get Hall call

Jaynes, Simien, Stallworth to be enshrined

Former Kansas University standouts David Jaynes, Wayne Simien and Bud Stallworth are among the nine members of the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2012, it was announced Tuesday.

Jaynes passed for then-records of 5,132 yards and 35 touchdowns and led KU to second place in the Big Eight in 1973, when he threw for 2,131 yards. He was an All-American that year and was a third-round selection by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Simien scored over 1,500 points and grabbed 884 rebounds in leading KU to a 110-28 record with three Big 12 titles and four NCAA Tournament appearances, including the 2003 national championship game. Simien was a consensus All-American in 2005 and Big 12 player of the year.

Stallworth was one of just three KU basketball players to earn All-America honors on the court and in the classroom. He was the 1972 Big Eight player of the year, when he averaged 25.3 points per game, and an academic All-American in 1971.

The other inductees: former Kansas State QB Michael Bishop; women’s basketball coach (Allen County CC, Trinity Valley CC, Louisiana Tech, Oklahoma State) Kurt Budke; Wichita State track and field standout Harold Manning; ex-K-State basketball player Willie Murrell; standout tennis player and coach David Snyder; and Emporia State softball pitcher Brenda Stolle.

Budke and Manning are posthumous selections.

Enshrinement will be Oct. 7 at the Hall in Wichita.

Comments

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Willie Murrell! Now there was a KSU player that was a good one.

No match for Wayne, or Bud, of course, but a heckuva player from the 60s who could have played today, nonetheless.

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

a short, concise post complimentary of kstink... what have you done with the real jaybate?

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Just you wait, Henry Higgins!

GoHawks1 2 years, 1 month ago

Michael Bishop in the KANSAS Sports Hall of Fame? Besides going to K-State for two years how much time has he spent in the state of Kansas? What a joke.

John Boyle 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill Snyder is on the board for the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame. Need I say more?

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Rumor: Snyder's immediate family will be inducted next year, then his first cousins the following year.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

It took 40 YEARS to get Bud Stallworth into the KANSAS Hall of Fame??!!!??

WHAT'S THE DEAL?? Are all the voters Kansas State alumni??

I know, I know...it's all sports and there's a bunch of Jayhawk basketball players in there already, but still..COME ON!!!!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

"former Kansas State QB Michael Bishop;... ex-K-State basketball player Willie Murrell"

I've always been curious how LJW decides the way to use former and ex. In addition, in one case they use Kansas State and the other K-State.

I guess I'm just curious how this gets past the editor.

I'll be the first to admit my grammar is horrible and inconsistent, but I don't write articles for a newspaper for a living.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

Not sure it is accurate to say that Simien led us to the national championship game in 2003 since he was injured for much of the season including the entire tournament. I do think our chances of winning that championship game would have been much higher if he had been healthy though.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Three Jayhawks get Hall call

They must be standing tall. I hope they have a ball, and don't have the gall to fall into a wall on their way to the mall to buy a doll.

That's all.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks y'all for not casting a pall with southern drawl.

Sam Constance 2 years, 1 month ago

LOL

(but you have to sound it out if you want it to rhyme)

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

There is appall at a meatball miscall. With a catcall, or threat to blackball, There is a sleazeball, slimeball, oddball, or mothball, To point out each downfall,

Overall they're behind the eightball, In a catchall, they recall at nightfall, All things Crimson and Blue.

Disenthrall the LJW from goofball pratfalls. And beware the pitfall . . . That we forestall that which sustains us.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

BayHawkaholic,

That was a very nice frolic!
Are your 'roids anabolic? I loved your descriptions - very symbolic! You're not quite apostolic - BUT - I think you're a Diabolic, Alcoholic, Hyperbolic Workaholic!

Lol - all in fun my friend - don't get the colic.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

I've no beef with nuleaf. :)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

lol - that was fun.

Speaking of fun - has anyone heard anything from Funhawk lately???

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

lol - crap - i forgot !!!

I've no squawk with BayHawk !!

Jayhawker111 2 years, 1 month ago

I saw Stallworth play many a game ---he was great!

Isaac "Bud" Stallworth was a 6'5" and 190 lb shooting guard. Named 1972 All-Big Eight Player of the Year. He had a professional career in the NBA from 1972–1977.

Stallworth was selected 7th overall by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 1972 NBA Draft, and by the Denver Rockets in the 1972 ABA Draft.After two seasons with the Sonics, he was made available in the 1974 expansion draft to be selected by the New Orleans Jazz, for whom he played for three seasons. His playing career was cut short due to a back injury sustained in an automobile accident in 1977. In 1978, Stallworth graduated from KU with a bachelor of social work degree.

In 1972 while at KU, Stallworth scored 50 points in a win against Missouri.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Your last sentence alone should have put him in the Hall of Fame in 1973!!!!!!!!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's be honest about this: Fizzou left for the SEC, because after a century of being owned by KU, it gave up. It was not about money at all.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

FINALLY !

(Man, I love that the caps lock Nazis are gone)

Someone understands the true meaning of all of this.

Moo would have paid money to leave to escape the 2-3 time yearly butt whooping in basketball.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations jaybate !!

Everyone's always giving you crap about your long posts - I guess this one will shut them up !! lol

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Bud was one of the great ones.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, nuleaf, it is a brave new world. 👽 😱

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 1 month ago

I saw David Jayne's game against misery in Memorial, a win of course. David was awesome and a was a Playboy All-Star selection iirc.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

I knew him a bit socially as well. A very nice guy - polite, smart, poised. Rode with his college gf to games at Nebraska and OU, driving 55mph. Remember the reduced speed limits due to the gas crisis in 73-74?. Those were the days.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Every time I drive my jeep long distances, I kinda wish the speed limit was STILL 55 !!

But - I can't drive fifty-five! Thanks, Sammy

Mike Hart 2 years, 1 month ago

Why haven't real KU athletes been inducted? Guys like Mark Pellock? Sean Alvarado? Mike Orth?