Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bill Self troubled by accusations, but stands by ‘kids’

Kansas head coach Bill Self yells at an official during the first half on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self took some hard hacks in the softball batting cages twice last week at Clinton Lake Sports Complex.

His sole purpose was to practice for tonight’s All-Star Celebrity softball game at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., not to release any pent-up aggression over recent claims that an Overland Park man allegedly supplied marijuana to multiple players from his 2010-11 Jayhawk hoops team.

“Obviously, it bothers me. I’m the captain of the ship. Anytime something happens on your watch, it’s very bothersome,” Self said in a Saturday-morning interview with the Journal-World.

He was making his first public comments on an assistant U.S. attorney’s assertion that Samuel Villeareal III distributed pot to unnamed KU players. The claim was made during a June 18 detention hearing for Villeareal, who is one of numerous defendants charged June 11 with a scheme to distribute more than 2,000 pounds of marijuana in Johnson and Douglas counties.

“On the flip side, I’m not going to rush to judgment on anything at all,” Self quickly added. “I know this for a fact: We’ve got great kids in our program. We’ve had great kids in our program. The kids have represented themselves to my knowledge in a way that would be good for the university, and they all graduate. I am disappointed that anything could be said negatively about our program, but I’m not going to run and hide from it. I’m not going to rush to judgment, either. The only thing I could do now is basically allow the process to play out.”

Villeareal, whose alleged tie to the KU players hit the media on June 29, returns to court for a hearing on July 30.

“I have no idea what the process will be. Trust me, nobody is on my time schedule,” Self said. “The only thing I positively know about the situation is what I’ve read like everybody else.

“I have known about it one week now. We investigated it and looked into it as much as we can. I feel I have a better understanding, but still yet I can’t and won’t comment any further on it due to the fact it would not be in the best interests of anybody.”

Self would not comment to the J-W on specific aspects of this case, such as allegations that KU’s players visited with Villeareal, who was allegedly sitting behind the bench at a game at KC’s Sprint Center.

Self said he had not spoken with any federal investigators about the matter. He has spoken to the team.

“Certainly I’ve addressed it. It will continue to be addressed. It’s not something where it’s the first time they’ve heard something like this. We address it all the time,” Self said, of reminding the players it is against the law and against KU rules to use marijuana.

KU’s internal drug-testing policy requires all freshman or new transfer student-athletes to take a drug test “within a reasonable amount of time” after arriving on campus. All teams that qualify for postseason play also may be subject to testing. The university also conducts unannounced, random testing during the year, according to the policy. Athletes who test positive are required to undergo counseling and are subjected to more frequent testing. The policy does not call for suspension from game competition until after a third positive test.

“All athletic programs have safeguards not only to prevent, but to detect and assist in some of society’s problems or some of society’s issues that we deal with,” Self said.

He stressed: “I want to make the point: I know the quality of kids in our program. The fact is these are not good kids, these are great kids. They are working their butt off (this summer). They are young. I can’t wait to start practicing and see how guys react to Europe (trip to Switzerland and Paris for four games in August). The thing about it is I certainly won’t be commenting on this any further, other than the fact this will be a fun team to coach.”

Softball tonight: Self will participate in today’s All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game, set for approximately 7:30 p.m. at Kauffman Stadium. The game will be contested after the Futures Game, which starts at 4 p.m.

“I made contact, but I’m not exactly a power hitter like I used to be,” Self said of his recent work in the batting cages. “I just hope I get out on the field a little bit. I can’t play third because (George) Brett is there. I can’t play short because Ernie Banks is there. I can’t play center because Bo (Jackson) is there. I can’t pitch because Jenny Finch is there. I can’t catch because (Mike) Piazza is there. There may not enough spots for me to play, but it should be fun.”

The softball game will be televised by ESPN approximately 9:30 p.m. Monday, following the State Farm Home Run Derby, which begins at 7 p.m.

Elijah back in action: Elijah Johnson, who had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in mid-April, will practice Monday.

“We’ll break him in slowly,” Self said, indicating the senior guard probably wouldn’t take part in pick-up games or scrimmage situations immediately.

Ty’s deal: Tyshawn Taylor’s first NBA contract with the Brooklyn Nets is expected to pay him the rookie minimum of $473,604 next season, the New York Post reports. Details of the contract (length and amount of money), which was signed Friday, were not disclosed by the team.

Frankamp in final: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp scored 13 points off 3-of-9 shooting (1-of-4 threes) to help the U.S. defeat Spain, 95-66, in the semifinals of the Under 17 World Championship on Saturday in Kaunas, Lithuania. He had three rebounds, an assist and turnover in 22 minutes. The U.S. (7-0) will meet Australia (6-1) in today’s 12:30 p.m. final. It is available online via FIBATV.com.

l

Sasha in Olympics: Former KU center Sasha Kaun will compete in the 2012 Olympics. Kaun’s Russian National team defeated Nigeria, 85-77, in Saturday’s Olympic Qualifying semifinals. Top three finishing teams in the 12-team tourney advance to the Olympics. Kaun had 11 points in the spot-clinching victory.

Comments

Jason Spangler 7 years, 5 months ago

David Hewitt 7 years, 5 months ago

WHAT? College students at KANSAS bought marijuana???

I'm surprised they had to go to overland park; when I was going to KU one of my roommates dealt pot.

Next I imagine we'll hear that some of them drink alcohol, too.

Alohahawk 7 years, 5 months ago

I doubt there are very many, if any college or professional teams (football or basketball) which do not have some sort of substance abuse. I'm not making excuses, but it's been the nature of sports in general since pot/marijuana/pakalolo became available (and popular) to the US masses over the last 40 to 50 years. And now that it has been legalized in some states (for medicinal purposes), I'd guess that even less people frown on its use. Again, I'm not defending its casual, social use in society, but it's the hardcore use and the more dangerous drugs (Meth, heroin, cocaine) which usually destroy a person's lives and the welfare of those around them.

On to other news: Congratulations to TT. Sounds like a similar deal to which Chalmers had when he was drafted. Keep making us proud, Tyshawn.

And Frankamp just keeps producing. One more win (in the U17's) and he will have two amateur, world titles to remember and be proud of. If I'm not mistaken, the USA U17 group, in an earlier game, has already beaten Australia, their opponent in the final, championship game tomorrow.

Finally, Sasha Kaun, what can one say but we're all proud of you as well. Good luck in the Olympics. There is good chance we will see Sasha in an NBA uniform before he retires.

ParisHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Chalmers went higher in the second round so got more money. The Heat also gave him a guaranteed contract, which they didn't have to do. Unless the Nets were extra nice, Taylor got no guarantees and can be cut any time.

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't think there are any "slotting" type rules for the second round of the draft in the NBA. They have salary tiers for lottery and probably first round picks, but in the second round, the only thing a team is drafting is rights to a player. The contract is between the team and the player's agent after that.

Obviously, they still have to follow guidelines like rookie minimum, etc., but I'm pretty sure every second-round draftee can sign for the rookie minimum.

But you are correct that Chalmers got more money--I think Pat Riley recognized that he had gotten a steal of a pick with getting Chalmers that late, and paid him closer to his value than his draft status indicated. I seem to remember his first contract being for higher than you would usually give a second-round non-guaranteed draft pick.

Alohahawk 7 years, 5 months ago

On Zagsblog.com they mention something about an undisclosed injury to Parker. In fact, a number of the frontcourt players for USA are injured, according to what was reported there.

kellerman411 7 years, 5 months ago

473,604 - Not bad for a degree in Communications.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 5 months ago

I've personally watched pot destroy three lives to people I've been either close to or somewhat close to.

Yep - statistically...alcohol destroys more lives...because it is legalized...and it's use is way more frequent than pot.

But anyone that says pot is harmless...is just flat out wrong.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 5 months ago

Really, that is what you got out of the post above?

Doug Cramer 7 years, 5 months ago

Wow you just won Dick of the Week.

Try reading the rest of the posts. It was in response to Alohahawk's comment.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 5 months ago

I actually appreciated your comment...I was getting after Brock for his comment.

I do think you should start trying to reply to the posts that you are trying reply to...by for instance using the reply of the comment you are replying to. It appears that you probably were originally replying to Alohahawk and didn't, then I hope you were replying to Brock and you replied to me.

jartiv 7 years, 5 months ago

Pot and alcohol are harmless.

It is people who make awful decisions who ruin lives - either others or their own.

Anyone who blames substances for peoples decisions is flat out dumb.

John Randall 7 years, 5 months ago

Pot and alcohol are escapes for people who don't want to be responsible for their own shortcomings, and want to say, "The Devil made me do it."

Al Salazar 7 years, 5 months ago

Activated? You've never owned a gun before have you?

NanaJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Tell all the people who's family members have died from drunk drivers that alcohol is hamless!

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 5 months ago

I picture T_R_J inhaling every time ... was used in his post!

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years, 5 months ago

I call BS. Tell us how marijuana specifically destroyed their lives, and then I might take you seriously. Otherwise, you're just blathering here. My guess is that as you tell us the stories, it will become clear that these three people destroyed their own lives, and happened to also smoke marijuana. Correlation does not equal Causation.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 5 months ago

Easy...They were caught with 100 pounds of it in a tunnel under the border.

shufly 7 years, 5 months ago

1969 the Harvard graduating class was surveyed. 40% claimed to have used the bud and 60% of the top 10% claimed regular use.

KansasComet 7 years, 5 months ago

I am not the least bit concerned. Until members of our beloved basketball team are accused of trying to distribute or obtain 2,000 lbs of marijuana, then there is no concern for me. I will be concerned if we have a player killing another player, like the Baylor team. That would be cause for concern. Bringing up KU basketball players in court is only trying to deflect from the real issue. Whomever this person is, he needs to stand up and take his punishment. If he was man enough to attempt the crime, then he should be man enough to do his time. I don't think this guy would bring up Burger King or Jiffy Lube employees in court?

I am looking forward to this upcoming season. We have at least 4 player capable of going for 20 plus on any given night. I believe Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey are All-America candidates. Perry Ellis is a proven winner. Cannot wait to see Ben McLemore play this season! This team has a perfect mix of youthful energy, talent, desire, and senior leadership.

KGphoto 7 years, 5 months ago

So you agree with every law in America?

John Randall 7 years, 5 months ago

So you cheer for your own choices among lawbreakers? Those would be the ones who get away with it, I suppose.

RJ King 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't get your comment. On this site, usually B.S. means Bill Self. Where does BS say, "it's OK to do something illegal?"

“We address it all the time,” Self said, of reminding the players it is against the law and against KU rules to use marijuana. . . "

Did I miss something? Or does your B.S. mean Bull $ hit?

Ben Berglund 7 years, 5 months ago

Weed is great and ought to be legal for medical, industrial and recreational purposes.

omng392 7 years, 5 months ago

Is anyone charged? Is this a case of a couple of college kids getting some pot, and when the DA arrested the dealer they've got the KU guys on a wire or is this a case of the main dealer got busted and said he supplied the KU players?

At any rate if the worse thing a kid tries in college I'm ok with that.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 5 months ago

The dealer is facing charges. I'm not sure if he brought up basketball players to detract from his case, or if it was the prosecutor looking for a little extra publicity. Anyway, all anyone has said, so far as I know, is that he was involved with anonymous basketball players two years ago.

REHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

A major pot distributor sitting behind our bench at the Sprint Center. I would imagine that the tape of that game has been perused in depth recently. Another weary load for Self to bear, in his steady attempt to keep his ship upright. A championship Div. I sports program is alike to a huge octupus, with tentacles curling and whipping in every direction. We read that 2013 recruit Brannen Green's AAU coach has been suspended for corrupt ties to an agent. Not a direct reflection on Jayhawk recruiting, but another glimmer of the negative roiling the waters. Such action just goes on and on. Gotta hope that supporting fans and the controlling powers that be can keep it all within a societal perspective and not heap too much pressure on a talented coach who strives to maintain a clean slate within his program. These constant disruptive news items must eat at his liver.

Al Salazar 7 years, 5 months ago

jaybate 1 hour, 39 minutes ago

copy and paste.

jaybate 7 years, 5 months ago

Felony,

I have to say I don't grasp the cryptic inclusion of the time signature on your copy and paste of my copy and paste. Please clarify.

But I am fascinated by your alias. The shorter you post, the more your alias "Felony" visually connects with the poster's alias you follow. It imprints a visual connection between another alias and yours and the connotation is negative given your alias of Felony. It almost seems like a kind of smear tactic. I vaguely recall reading some where that this is an online psy-ops tactic taught in cyber warfare and dirty tricks. Is that the case with you and your alias?

I know I for one would much more enjoy you going short with an alias like "jaybate_is_a_good_Jayhawk."

:-)

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 5 months ago

Brannen Green is hardly responsible for his AAU coach's actions, and I never considered that a blot on our recruiting, even indirectly.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 5 months ago

It was not the defendant Mr. Villeareal who mentioned Kansas players, it was the prosecutor. Also, the players that frequently associated with Mr. Villeareal (B. Morningstar and M. Little) are no longer with the program...

Bville Hawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I figured "Kool" was just blowing smoke, so I thought I would call his bluff - that's why I asked for a link.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, those are the two individuals who are in several of Mr. Villeareal's Facebook photos with him, hanging out partying late night. That is all I am going on.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, Kool, sounds like you may be on to something. I fold!

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 5 months ago

After perusing the photos yet again, Ty Appleton pops up a few times as well...

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 5 months ago

Villeareal may be seen in the stands at Kauffman. Watch out for a small bag labeled "Pine Tar", He has been linked to George Brett as a pine tar dealer. Federal prosecutors have been following this case for over 20 years and still don't understand when it is legal to use pine tar and when it isn't.

Ozzie Smith has been under investigation as well to determine the source of his back flips. It seems that Villeareal may also be involved with distribution of Mexican jumping beans, synthetic substance that makes such athletic feats possible.

(Fiction abounds in these comments. For humourous consideration only, no malice intended)

jaybate 7 years, 5 months ago

This story seems like some Sunday positioning for some bad news on Monday.

John Randall 7 years, 5 months ago

At age sixteen, my father had to accompany me to traffic court (with a classmate and his father) and miss football practice with his team. The other boy was a court veteran, and his father told mine, "I'm sure this is the first time your boy drove recklessly, and it's a shame he got caught." My dad refused to shake hands and replied, "I hope to hell it's the first time – and I'm damn glad he got caught!"

Like drunk drivers and impaired pot heads, reckless drivers 'get away' with it every time – until the time they don't get away with it.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 5 months ago

So, you're suggesting a "good news/bad news" possibility?

First paragraph, the good news: Bill Self hit an in the park HR.

Second paragraph,the bad news: Sheahon Zenger to hold a press conference to discuss actions regarding the university being involved in the drug charges..

Dan Harris 7 years, 5 months ago

Anything that casts KU's program in a negative light is a cause for concern. Some of you seem to think that smoking pot is no big deal and that most college kids at least will try it(I know I did) but until it is legal it shold not be dismissed as no big deal.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 5 months ago

The illegality of it is the only problem.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 5 months ago

This might be the first time that I've ever seen a case where they nail the distributor and the distributor rats out users. I always thought that when there are arrests they go after the upward heirarchy, not the downward heirachy.

Usually you would see an arrest of a user to get the distributor. The distributor would give you the supplier...etc.

If the DA is going after the users when he nails a distributor it is time to get a new DA.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Apparently you haven't been following the story but feel compelled to comment out of ignorance anyway. The story is that one of the prosecutors made the remark that surveillance of Mr. Villeareal had shown him selling to some KU players. The distributor did not rat out his users as you suggest.

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

When you dismount from your "ignorance" high horse, perhaps you will also notice that the point here is about the typically irrelevance of the guys buying the pot in these types of investigations.

Regardless of how the "KU players buying pot" aspect of the story came to light, the fact remains that it's completely unconventional for a federal investigation and prosecution for drug trafficking usually doesn't give a hoot about the "small potatoes" buyers.

It seems to me like the federal prosecutor is name dropping in the interest of getting his prosecution some media time--nothing sets the gossips a-buzzing in this part of the country quite like a "scandal" involving one of the most successful basketball programs in the country.

By the way, speaking of not following the story--the reports I read were that the prosecutors had found KU names in Villeareal's phone when it was confiscated. Not sure if that's what you mean by "surveillance"... I'm also going to be surprised if the prosecutor found actual evidence of a drug transaction on that phone, unless Villaereal and his clients are stupid enough to explicitly talk about trying to procure weed in exchange for money. I suppose stupider things have happened...

Robert Brown 7 years, 5 months ago

Not everyone in college smokes pot and this is a big deal because it has already embarrassed the university. Fair or not, the athletes are held to a higher standard because they are representatives of the university. If KU student 'Tyler from Tonganoxie' is on the list of one of Villeareal's customers, it probably doesn't make news and if it does it is embarrassing to Tyler and family and not KU.

I like the fact that Bill Self is not hiding from this. I am sure he is aware of players who test positive for pot which probably explains some of the suspensions. I have a hard time imagining that outcome of this will be any worse than exposing some names of former players.

ForwardThinker 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm SO SO SO SO glad Tyshawn has signed a contract. This guy has worked his butt off and endured alot lot of Bull S and criticism and he deserves to be given a shot in the league. Best of luck to him and T Rob.Rock Chalk!

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 5 months ago

ralster, i like your posts as much as any posts here. honestly. on this issue, i have to take exception. you may not drink to get a buzz but you'll have to admit that you've felt the buzz before.

weakminded isn't the thing i think of when i think of individuals who smoke weed. i think of open to experience. i don't smoke it, either.

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

That's not much of a "trap".

Every rationale you are using to condemn cannabis use and justify alcohol use can be applied in the exact reverse.

First off, you ask why someone would smoke cannabis to not get high when they could smoke a cigarette. Aside from the fact that cannabis has a (to some) pleasant taste (especially compared to tobacco cigarettes), using your argument--why would someone who didn't want to get "buzzed" drink a beer at all when they could just socially drink a soda or tea? Or heck, NON-ALCOHOLIC beer?

I would argue that if you drink beer, even if you don't drink with the explicit purpose of getting "buzzed", you are still choosing to intake a mind-altering substance when there are alternatives without said substance readily available. If you can draw a line between "social" drinking and drinking to feel a "buzz", then you can draw a line between "social" smoking and smoking to feel a buzz.

The only difference is that we've invented this idea of "social" drinking as part of the societal rationalization of alcohol as somehow different than any other mind-altering drug--a rationalization that you are perpetuating here.

Also, I have to take great exception to the strangely-similar-to-an-anti-drug-commercial scenario you laid out above, with the 4-yr-old girl getting killed by a totally "stoned-out" driver. Whether or not you are citing an actual example or referencing an old propaganda commerical, the fact remains that making decisions about the national legality of something based on individual and often anecdotal situations is short-sighted at the very least.

Furthermore, due to the nature of cannabis, it's not always easy to tell if someone was "stoned-out" at the actual time of a traffic accident, due to the fact that cannabis remains in a user's system for 2-4 weeks, long after any mind altering affects have dissipated.

But regardless of all that, using the "impaired driver" rationale for any argument against the legalization of a given drug is a farce unless you are actively working to get alcohol prohibited on the same basis. We shouldn't be writing/upholding laws that are based on what the lowest common denominator would do, or EVERYTHING would be illegal. Maybe a better approach would be to look at the whole picture (of which the impaired driver argument is one facet) and weigh the pros/cons associated with the drug (and legalization of said drug) itself, rather than tossing out anecdotal arguments and exceptions to quibble over...

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

A couple more comments:

1) It seems like an awfully big coincidence that your opinion on drugs happens to line up exactly with the law. Why are only "illicit" drugs the ones you take issue with? Is this about legality or about the effect of the drug(s)? If it's about legality, then great--I can understand an opinion that one should not break the law. It's a good position to take. But if this is about the effect of the drug, then it seems like there is a disconnect in your reasoning, being okay with a potentially incredibly harmful drug in alcohol, but strongly opposed to a fairly innocuous drug (users' individual choices notwithstanding) in cannabis. I don't ask this to make light of your opinion, but more to prod you into looking at said opinion from a different angle. Personally I find arguments based on legality to be flawed on their face--it's a slightly different "appeal to authority" fallacy. It assumes that the rationale of the lawmakers who decided to make a given drug legal/illegal was sound, and we all know that there are plenty of laws that get made that aren't sound.

2) You cannot look at CA as evidence of the medicinal cannabis use being a joke. The events in CA are a symptom of prohibition, not cannabis' medicinal properties. I would tend to agree--my wife being a physician--that the medical value(s) of cannabis can be achieved in other ways, but those other ways are typically also drugs. What, exactly, is the harm in letting a cancer sufferer use cannabis to ease their suffering instead of synthetic painkiller drug X, if that is what they prefer? Again we get back to this "illicit" vs. "legal" argument--is pot worse because it's illegal?

I'll say one last thing, then step down off my soapbox:

I don't mind if people find cannabis to be harmful. There are certainly excellent arguments to support that opinion. I just don't like the fact that the real argument about cannabis legality and the pros/cons gets clouded (lol - no pun intended) by things like social disposition. Literally the only argument for alcohol being legal while cannabis remains illegal is that people "accept" alcohol more, which I think ties back to the propaganda that was presented about the substance back in the early/mid 20th Century to help promote prohibition.

"Marijuana" isn't even a proper term for the drug we're talking about here. It's a Mexican slang term that was utilized by the prohibition movement because it was foreign and "sinister" sounding and elicited more negative connotations than the common use terms for the drug at the time: hemp and cannabis.

It's just hard to swallow the "but it's illegal" argument, when the movement to make it illegal required misleading, propaganda and outright lies about the drug to portray it as worse than it really was. How much of the modern aversion to cannabis can be sourced back to that movement?

JHAWKSWAG 7 years, 5 months ago

If you trolls continue to read and comment on articles like this, the issue will continue to draw attention. Everyone take a deep breath, take a step back, and let this erroneous story die.

Cameron Cederlind 7 years, 5 months ago

Deep breath . . . I see what you did there.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 5 months ago

Comparing alcohol and pot is an apples to oranges deal.

Alcohol is cultural, is part of society,and is accepted socially .. and it has been since the birth of our nation and obviously well before that.

Pot is not. Pot is an outsider.

It is a matter of how much it is accepted -- to what degree. Alcohol is part of everyday life and always has been. Pot isn't and hasn't been. Pot hit the scene in a major way in the 60s. It's always been around, just not significantly.

Prohibition of alcohol didn't work.

Prohibition of pot kind of works.

The debate is not which is worse. Both have horrific effects on families and lives and we'd all be better off without both. There is no debate there. However, both, when used in moderation and with discretion, are relatively harmless and not addictive to most folks. Welcome to life. That's true about most things. But that's the issue, isn't it?

It is all about human choice and human choice screws up everything. And laws are there to provide a line when society recognizes that humans won't use proper discretion in their choices; and society determines what is proper, acceptable levels of discretion.

And it changes all the time. Punishments for drinking and driving has changed over 30 years. Age restrictions increased.

Acceptance of pot has changed too. I'd say most are more accepting of it. The possession laws are less severe, and there are exceptions. Why? Because society sees the negative impact of use being closer to alcohol than other drugs. Pot's acceptance and perceived impact have moved that direction -- toward alcohol and away from other drugs.
If you doubt that, compare what the public's view might be (and yours) if this were cocaine. Both illegal, but a totally different story.

Either way, the pot deal is a black eye; it looks bad. Pot has a more negative connotation because it is less socially acceptable than alcohol, and because it's generally illegal -- both because of the cultural basis of both. So it's more of a black eye. It seems that simple to me. And it's puzzling as to why folks don't understand why could be a big deal -- from a public perception standpoint.

Cameron Cederlind 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't care if you smoke/don't smoke or you're pro-pot or not, prohibition doesn't work. Making it illegal not only wastes billions of tax dollars but it increases crime. America clearly didn't learn anything from the alcohol prohibition in the 20's and 30's. If people want to do something, they're going to do it. Why not regulate it with the FDA, so people are at least getting higher quality and know what they're putting in their body instead of the possible toxic things out there right now. The "War on Drugs" has done nothing but waste our money and increase drug use.

actorman 7 years, 5 months ago

Well said, GoHawk (and love your handle, BTW).

And let's not forget the added tax revenue that would come from legalizing it as well.

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

I appreciate this post and agree.

As someone who believes in the ridiculousness of cannabis prohibition, I can still understand that regardless of your opinions on the drug itself, it's a black eye of sorts anytime our program/school is associated with illegal behavior.

But I think it's also fair to say that, given the relative increase in acceptance of cannabis over the past 20(?) years, the severity of the black eye is also muted. Especially amongst the younger generations that make up a huge portion of the college basketball fanbase.

Kristen Downing 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm only worried about trading tickets for behind the bench seating for pot. Not sure how they would prove it unless someone's tweets were very specific....

Micky Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

It just goes to show that it is the choices that people make that result in either good or bad things happening. Just remember that the next time someone murders someone that didn't make the choice to own a gun or to own that gun but not have it loaded.

Marijuana, they may not have found if it is dangerous, but they did the same thing with asbestos that was used to make sheet rock and insulation fire proof. There is a trade off to everything. If you want to to be free to make choices, then you also have to be willing to take the trade off.

For example, you buy a bag of pot a week, you have to remember that you can't spend that money on something you might need the following week. It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal. Choices have consequences, even if it isn't enforced by man-made law.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 5 months ago

Lots of good opinions. Here's the University of Michigan's study about the true gateway drug: alcohol.

REHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Conner Frankamp, with 22 pts., leads USA U17 team to 95-62 world championship over Australia. That makes for two gold medals for Frankamp in two summers of play on the world stage.

REHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Click on to Frankamp in this article, and look at his stats for the 8 games. Wow!

David Leathers 7 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully this performance by Frankamp (MVP Honors) will bring Jabari Parker with him. I've liked Frankamp since the day I heard about him and I believe that the combination of him and Brannen Greene will be something we talk about for decades.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

Conner was not the MVP but his performance was still impressive.

SkyWalkinKU 7 years, 5 months ago

Frankamp was amazing in that game. Someone talked trash to him and he scored on the kid 4 straight possessions. Two pull up threes, a deep two, and a nba three.

Geekinout 7 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Sounds like a typical high school hero trying to relive the glory days. High schools over man... Johnny Hustle in the intramural league. Probably sits around all day reminiscing with friends about that almost game winning shot. Tool!

jayhwkroks 7 years, 5 months ago

What was up with Frankamp not getting chosen for first team in that U17 tournament. He led the USA squad in scoring average but yet two guys under him off the them got first team. Lots of BS if ya ask me. Great job Conner and Team USA! Way to show them what they have to look forward too in the Olympics down the road! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSUjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Anybody who says "marijuana destroys lives" as if it is in the same league as alcoholism or prescription pill addiction is a naive idiot who fears the unknown and has no idea what they are talking about.

If I remember correctly, it was Mario Chalmers who tested positive his rookie season in the NBA (smoking with Beasley in a hotel room). Where is he now? Starting PG for the reigning NBA champions.

Marijuana is less of a threat to society than alcohol or gambling. Grow up people.

Congrats to Mr. Kaun, Conner, and TT!

wildjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Well the news is out and it looks like that there is going to be a federal investigation into the KU mens basketball program along with their coaches.

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

I gathered as much. Nothing exposes a troll quite as much as asking a simple question and getting either no response, or a subject-changing one.

hawkcat 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes, you are correct with the investigation and this could be real trouble for the basketball team and school all together. This is going to be a real blow and will cause the lost of great recruits to come.