Originally published July 5, 2012 at 03:28p.m., updated July 6, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

Michigan State, Ohio State highlight KU men’s basketball nonconference schedule for 2012-13 season

Kansas forward Kevin Young flashes a smile after taking a charge against an Ohio State player during the first half Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

A road game against Ohio State, neutral site battle versus Michigan State and home contests against Temple and Colorado highlight Kansas University’s 2012-13 nonconference basketball schedule announced Thursday.

Oct. 30 - Emporia State, Lawrence

Nov. 5 - Washburn, Lawrence

Nov. 9 - Southeast Missouri State, Lawrence

Nov. 13 - Michigan State, Atlanta (Champions Classic)

Nov. 16 - UT Chattanooga, Lawrence

Nov. 19 - Washington State, Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center CBE)

Nov. 20 - St. Louis/Texas A&M, Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center CBE)

Nov. 26 - San Jose State, Lawrence

Nov. 30 - Oregon State, Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center)

Dec. 8 - Colorado, Lawrence

Dec. 15 - Belmont, Lawrence

Dec. 18 - Richmond, Lawrence

Dec. 22 - at Ohio State, Columbus, Ohio

Dec. 29 - American University, Lawrence

Jan. 6. - Temple, Lawrence

The Jayhawks also will play Belmont, Richmond, American, UT Chattanooga, San Jose State and SE Missouri State in Allen Fieldhouse, as well as Oregon State in Sprint Center. KU will also meet Washington State in Sprint Center in the CBE Classic with another Classic game against either Saint Louis or Texas A&M.

“I think it is going to be a really good RPI schedule,” KU coach Bill Self said. “I don’t think there are as many traditional names on it as we have had the last couple of years. Ohio State (Dec. 22) and Michigan State (Nov. 13 in Atlanta) will be two of the best teams in the country. Then you throw in the Temples (Jan. 6) and the Colorados (Dec. 8), the Washington States (Nov. 19), Oregon States (Nov. 30), Richmonds (Dec. 18), Belmonts (Dec. 15), American (Dec. 29), there are some good teams in there that will have really good RPIs that should probably help our RPI.

“It’s probably a schedule that was done knowing that we also have eight freshmen,” Self added. “This is probably the youngest team we have had. (The schedule is) by no means easy, but we certainly didn’t load up like we did last year with traditional names.”

Temple won the Atlantic 10 last season, its final year in the league before heading to the Big East. Belmont, which has moved from the Atlantic Sun to the Ohio Valley, reached the NCAAs for the fifth time in seven years. Colorado, coached by former KU guard Tad Boyle, won the Pac-12 Tournament. American, one of the Patriot League favorites, reached the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

“We got Richmond to come back. I’m excited about that,” Self joked of a team that beat KU in Allen in the 2003-04 season. “I can’t believe we couldn’t get Bucknell and Bradley to come back as well as Nevada (some other losses). It seems to me our worst performances since I’ve come here have been against the better mid-majors obviously. Richmond was in the Sweet 16 (losing to KU two seasons ago). We know they are good.”

KU can play in Sprint in NCAAs: NCAA rules allow a team to play no more than three regular-season games in one venue and still play in the same venue for the NCAA Tournament. With the two CBE games and the Oregon State game, this criteria would allow KU to play in Sprint Center for the 2013 NCAA Tournament. The Big 12 Championship is considered a postseason event.

Danny and Larry to return?: Self said he would love to schedule games against Tulsa and SMU in the future.

“We welcome bringing Danny back to the fieldhouse. I think that would be great,” Self said of KU All-American Danny Manning’s Tulsa Golden Hurricane. “I think it’d be great to get coach Brown back,” he added of former KU coach Larry Brown leading SMU. “I think it’d add a lot of interest to our game and to our schedule, so it also will be done in time (when) they feel confident and comfortable in doing so. They are both taking over situations they really haven’t had much control over since they got there with their roster. I would think in the next year or two those are definite possibilities.”

This, that: KU will return trips to Temple and Colorado in the 2013-14 season. ... Former KU player Royce Woolridge will be a red-shirt sophomore at Washington State. ... Oregon State is coached by President Barack Obama’s brother-in-law, Craig Robinson. ... The Big 12 will release its slate later this month. ... KU’s Self will play in the all-star game celebrity softball game on Sunday at Kauffman Stadium. “I thought about (asking to play) third base, but (George) Brett is playing third. I thought about short. Some guy named Ernie Banks may play short. Catcher is out. (Mike) Piazza is playing. Center is out. Bo (Jackson) is playing,” Self cracked. “I’ve got a feeling they will put me in right field no matter what I request. I’ll be happy just to get out there or they could just DH me. I’d be happy if they just DH me,” added Self, who hasn’t batted in a softball game in 20 years. ... Future KU guard Brannen Greene of the Florida Rams has to find a new AAU team to play for, CBSsports.com reports. The NCAA has ruled that the director of the Rams and three other AAU teams have a relationship with ASM Sports, a professional sports agency. The players will be allowed to continue competing in AAU ball as long as they find new teams. ... Former KU guard Jacque Vaughn will interview with the NBA’s Orlando Magic for its head coaching vacancy, the Orlando Sentinel reports. Vaughn is an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs.

Comments

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 1 month ago

Should be a fun non-conference schedule!

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 1 month ago

Love the schedule. Play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Rock Chalk!

Does anyone besides me believe that we will be 4-0 against the Big 10 and PAC-12?

Displayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Except Methzzouri in Kansas City or Lawrence!

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 1 month ago

My crystal ball says we will play Misery in the NCAA next year...

truefan 2 years, 1 month ago

They would have to 1. Make it to the tournament and 2. Make it out of the first round. Bold prediction 1958.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

Am I counting wrong...I hope we are 5-0 OSU and MSU Colorado, Oregon State, and Washington State?

But yes at some point in time I do think we will be 4-0, but I think we will be 5-0 when conference play begins.

truefan 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not counting those eggs until they hatch. I think we'll be pretty solid next year, but with so much youth coming off the bench it won't surprise me if we lose a game that we should have won.

BigTamale 2 years, 1 month ago

Not the best, but not the worst either. Wish we could have a marquee game at home... Lots of "neutral site" games. Should be fun though.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree - Temple, Belmont, RIchmond...all good opponents, NCAA teams, and/or conf. champs, etc. Heck even Colorado won the Pac-12 tournament and advanced in the NCAAs last year. But I always like to see teams like Michigan State, UCLA, Indiana, Arizona, etc. on the home schedule. It will be fun to play West Va as part of the conf schedule this year.

LVCHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

3 Sprint Center games.......booooo

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 1 month ago

yes, and we will most likely get to play there during the ncaa tournament

Ted Hume 2 years, 1 month ago

yea, and how weird is it that the Sprint Center games are against Washington and Oregon St.s?

Krohnutz 2 years, 1 month ago

Is Louisville a potential? I was under the impression that Pitino was still pissed about the "running up the score" thing way back. Or did he let go of that when Roy Williams left the building?

To me, a home-and-home with Louisville and Indiana makes sense for all parties concerned.

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 1 month ago

11-2, with the two losses coming from Sparty, Ohio State or Temple.

Alex Resnik 2 years, 1 month ago

I think MSU will be really good this year. They have Appling who will be much improved and they will have a strong frontcourt rotation with Nix, Payne and Costello. Then you throw in their gaurd rotation and Izzo as coach and they will be really tough to beat. It will be really interesting to see the young bigs defend Payne. Can't wait!

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 1 month ago

So the best non-conference game in the Fieldhouse is... Colorado???

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 1 month ago

With home games against Texas, West Virginia, K-State and Iowa State in the conference schedule, I'm okay with out toughest tests in the non-con coming on neutral or road sites.

BPSkelly 2 years, 1 month ago

One true road game? Not sure how much I love that. Oh well.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

It seems like they set up several home and homes where one could have been away to start. Of course the team is playing a few "away" games in August.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Not quite as hefty as last year. Hopefully the guys will still be ready come tournament time.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 1 month ago

K Young do the Humpty-Hump...

JayDocMD 2 years, 1 month ago

Stop what ya doin, cuz I'm about to ruin, the image and the style that you're used to...

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 1 month ago

Not much time to prepare for the Sparties.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder which, if any, of these matchups being played in Lawrence could be part of a home/home series? Anybody know for sure?

Robert Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

It's an OK schedule. Probably only two ranked teams- OSU, MSU -- maybe Temple.

AsadZ 2 years, 1 month ago

Its a good schedule, not as tough as last, year but better than years past.

justinryman 2 years, 1 month ago

Just play the games in front of you and move on.

There will be some test, with a starting five that is missing it's floor general, it's toughness and emotional leader.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it's great that we're playing them and not MU. Makes me feel like I'm thumbing my nose at MU. The only thing that would be better was if we were playing Nebraska, too.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

My apologies. I should have read a little farther before I answered CrimsonAndBlue.

Jack McEnaney 2 years, 1 month ago

I personally love that we play Colorado and Texas A&M, St. Louis, SE MO St. We just need to add Nebraska and we will have officially flipped off mizz who with our schedule. We will play ANYONE else affiliated with your state or leaving the conference except mizz who.

AsadZ 2 years, 1 month ago

I just listened to HCBS Q&A on the schedule. He said that while there are not so many marquee names as last year, this schedule will be very good from RPI standpoint. He also said this schedule was put in place considering large number of freshmen in this year's class.

On Rio he sounded extremely positive that he will be able to play this year. He said considering what we went through last year we would not have let him come to campus had he not done everything required by NCAA. This is very promising.

rmushrush 2 years, 1 month ago

This story isn't news. We already knew we had a home and away with Ohio State, since we played them here last year.

We've known for a couple years that we would play Michigan State in Atlanta in the Champion's Classic.

Other than those 2 games, our non-con is uber weak. Sure, the story notes that 7 teams were in the tournament last year, but that doesn't mean much. A lot of sub-par teams always get "in" to the tournament. Doesn't mean they advanced.

JHAWKSWAG 2 years, 1 month ago

AAU scandal is kinda scary, Brannen Greene's head coach implicated.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

One more road or neutral court game for this team would've been nice, maybe Richmond or Temple. I have a feeling we're going to see 4 players playing 35+ minutes in that Michigan St. game since Self coaches to win every game instead of letting the young guys learn trial by fire how to play in those high profile games at the expense of losing a couple of extra games.

AsadZ 2 years, 1 month ago

I can see 3 but not 4 with 35+ mins

Steve Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

Lot's of new faces, so don't blame KU for a little easier schedule. Still compared to other top programs, it's still good. Looking at Sporting News preseason rankings OSU #4, MSU #22 and that's it.

hwtan 2 years, 1 month ago

Like the schedule too. It would be better if the Hawks can play in some domes to prepare them for the tournament.

ann42 2 years, 1 month ago

Can anyone tell me if Late night is the 12th of Oct.? Thanks for your help

Jim Pendleton 2 years, 1 month ago

Too many are worrying about the Colorado and A&M thing with the schedule. We already beat the Colorado horse a few weeks ago when it was announced that we were playing them home and away. Not really in favor of it, but can live with it compared to the others who shall remain nameless in this article.

A&M is not a definite on this schedule. We are both part of the CBE Tourney games the Mon/Tues before Thanksgiving. We play Wash State on Monday, and the winner of St Louis vs A&M on Tuesday. Don't discount the possibility that second game could be against St Louis. They had a good season last year, and the old Utah coach has that program on the rise. Safe to say the KU crowd will be rooting against A&M.

Believe it or not, there is a potential for as many as eight games at Sprint Center. Two CBE games, the Oregon St game, as many as three Big 12 Tourney games, and as many as two NCAA games as KC is a first weekend site, as this is 75th anniv of NCAA tourney. Get used to it people, we will be playing a number of games there for years to come.

David Leathers 2 years, 1 month ago

Seriously? No games out west this year? DAMNIT!!!! I'm moving back.

Mike Nicco 2 years, 1 month ago

What?!?!? They couldn't SJSU for a home and home series. lol

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

Schedule downgraded from 2011-2012. It's got some good games though, but what's with all the neutral court games?

Mr_C 2 years, 1 month ago

The entire season is built on two key issues: 1, It is ALL designed to prep this team for NCAAs, so there's gonna be as many "neutral site" dome games as we can scrape up. 2. with this many freshman, we need 2 or 3 (or 4) of them to really step up and be counted on by tourney time. please revisit reason #1. For our new guys its all a crash course in "big time", a la HCBS.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

What I remember last year was our toughest schedule in years with a relatively unproven bunch all the way to the championship game.

Bill Skeet 2 years, 1 month ago

Is the game with San Jose State part of a home-home series?

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Ha Ha, I DO wish they could play a home-home with either Saint Mary's (solid program) or USF (Rexy), but the gyms are too small. And the Coliseum is too big. (It would be 1/4-1/3 full of KU fans, but wouldn't sell out for the CA schools.)

HC Kerry Keating at Santa Clara is the son of Larry Keating at KU, but I wouldn't want to waste a game on SCU until they get another Steve Nash.

That Cal game was fun 2 years ago! Haase Pav was about 1/4 KU.

bigcountry 2 years, 1 month ago

Its good to see a little lighter schedule considering all the new pieces we have. Lets let them settle in with some possible confidence building games.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Kansas-Ohio State-Michigan State comparison......

PG's Johnson-Craft-Trice

Wings (McLemore/Releford)-(Sibert/Smith Jr).-(Appling/Dawson)

Bigs (Ellis/Withey)-(Thomas/Ravenel)-(Nix/Payne)

Coaches Self-Matta-Izzo

For 1's it looks like KU is the clear winner with Johnson, Craft is in the middle, and Trice is clearly the worst. Then at the wing spots Appling and Dawson look like they can evenly match McLemore and Releford, but Ohio State starts to lag here, as they have Lenzelle Smith Jr. who came off the bench last year, and Jordan Sibert who has been given very limited minutes.

Then with the bigs Ellis and Withey vs. Nix and Payne is very close and a tough one to predict, but then Ohio Stats continues to lag, as Thomas is a good player, but Ravenel would get eaten alive by Withey or Payne.

All three teams have good coaches, although I do not believe Thad Matta is as good as Izzo or Self.

Kansas and Michigan State seem to be the best two teams, with a slight edge toward KU because of their better point guard. Ohio State looks like a good team as well, but they do not have enough good players to seem better than KU or MSU

okjhok 2 years, 1 month ago

I have to disagree with your analysis. Craft and Thomas will be first-team all-america candidates. Have you already forgotten what Thomas did in AFH last year?
I think both of those games will be very evenly matched.

bigcountry 2 years, 1 month ago

And way to go Jacque Vaughn. I love to see our former players on the other end of the bench. This shows just how well our recruiting staff does in finding players that really know the Xs and Os.

DDDHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I was surprised to hear that Jacque Vaughn is in coaching. If he brings the same competitiveness and passion to coaching that he did to playing, he will be great!

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Skill, brains, perseverance, loyalty: Jacque is loaded.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Anything less than 11-2 will be a disappointment...sorry, but this schedule is a HUGE comedown from last year, but it is tailored for a team with essentially 10 freshmen.

Chadus 2 years, 1 month ago

Pretty weak schedule in my opinion. MSU will be down this year and not sure how OSU will fare sans Sullinger. I'd rather take a few knocks in the preseason to get the team ready for conference and tournament play. Would love to see IU back on the schedule again. Some great battles in the early 90's between two of the best basketball programs in the country.

Joseph Pennington 2 years, 1 month ago

Earlier reported we play at Anaheim Classic (formerly 76 Classic) over Thanksgiving. Are we out now, or just not released yet?