Monday, July 2, 2012

Texas prep cornerback picks KU

Kansas University’s football program picked up an oral commitment from another highly regarded Texas cornerback over the weekend.

DeSoto (Texas) High senior-to-be Taylor Lewis pledged his services to the Jayhawks on Friday, a little more than three weeks after KU landed Dallas cornerback Colin Spencer.

After attending KU’s Friday Night Lights camp a couple of weeks ago, Lewis, 6-foot, 180 pounds, left town with a scholarship offer. After mulling it over with his father and talking more with KU coaches Rob Ianello, Dave Campo and Charlie Weis, Lewis decided to commit.

“I really liked the environment and being around the coaches,” Lewis told Jon Kirby, of JayhawkSlant.com. “Coach Ianello did a good job and was straight to the point. I liked how he handled the recruiting. I enjoyed the time I spent around coach Campo. We talked a lot about how he coaches the defensive backs. I also talked with coach Weis and he made me feel right at home. I knew I wanted to be a part of the program, so I committed.”

Lewis did not turn many heads during his junior season at DeSoto High because he played behind starting cornerbacks who signed with LSU and Texas. With those guys now gone, Lewis is looking forward to a breakout season this fall.

Lewis becomes the sixth member of the Class of 2013 to orally commit to Kansas. He joins Spencer, St. Louis linebacker Kellen Ash and Sunflower State prospects Ben Johnson (tight end, Basehor-Linwood), Montell Cozart (quarterback, Bishop Miege) and Jordan Darling (quarterback, Shawnee Mission East).

Goodman injured

Red-shirt freshman Ben Goodman, a defensive end from West Brook High in Beaumont, Texas, recently suffered a broken right hand.

Goodman, who was listed as a second-string defensive end on KU’s pre-spring depth chart, posted to his Twitter account this weekend a photo of his hand in a soft cast and revealed that X-rays confirmed his hand was broken. It is not yet known how long Goodman will have to wear the cast or how much offseason activity he will miss.

Despite the injury, the 6-3, 248-pound D-end is expected to compete for playing time on the Jayhawks’ D-line this fall.

Comments

Doug Cramer 1 year, 9 months ago

We recruited one high school defensive linemen in last years class...and zero so far this year.

Before anyone thinks we're going to a bowl game anytime soon...you may want to think about how our d-line performed over the last 3 seasons...and how we're trying to put temporary band aids on it with juco guys...and a 5th year transfer.

We have got to find some quality high school d-linemen somewhere...otherwise this program will continue to struggle.

I don't know why it's so hard for us to recruit the line.

mikehawk 1 year, 9 months ago

This is the type of recruiting we have to do to get things going from flat dead in the water zero. There will be some chances like this we will have to take, and the chance seems like a good one. "Better one in the hand than two in the bush." They are working it, and the recruiting and the program development is impressive without anything else to base it on other than what I read on the website and what I read between the lines. I think it is getting time for the website to move toward heavy focus on the football team. I say that as a rabid KU basketball fan who loves to read just about about anything related to roundball. But the football team needs this space and coverage as a means of helping to build the program and much needed excitement.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 9 months ago

This helps make up for the Morrow kid going to Okie State.

JJHAWK 1 year, 9 months ago

Not sure about anyone else but I'm impressed. Coach Weis and Coach Campo are taking it to the streets as far as recruiting goes. Not through the summer yet and we have 25% of our commitments for this years class. And per his philosphy, Coach Weis started close to home with two quarterbacks. Coach Weis was very successful with the Chiefs when he had below average wide receivers (as a group), an above average tight end, an average (or a slightly above average quarterback) and two running backs, one with blazing speed, and one for everydown pounding.

KU's offense for this coming season looks like (through the telescope of LJW articles): quarterback - definately above average - backup is still a question

Wide receivers - above average if they stay healthy, but we have good depth

Running back - lots of depth and one real burner that can break it from anywhere - just have to keep him healthy.

So for my self - I think it is going to be a fun season. For our record and for our chances of making it to a bowl game, a possiblity with our coaches, probably depends upon whether Coach Campo has the studs to stop people. I'm certain they will be coached right.

Jayhawk1958 1 year, 9 months ago

Anyone know if there is a current depth chart available?

Fortesque Beagleton 1 year, 9 months ago

Black&Mild, is that you? Never would have guessed.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

Taylor - "Coach Weis, where were you before Kansas? Where all have you coached?"

Weis - "I coached in the NFL for 14 years where I won 3 superbowls with the Patriots. Then, I had an ok gig as head coach for Notre Dame. Since then, I've been with the Chiefs and Florida."

Taylor - "Wow, what about you coach Campo."

Campo - "Well, I won a national championship in Miami and I coached in the NFL for 22 years and was head coach of the Dallas Cowboys for 3 years."

Taylor - "Hmmm, I think I'm going to go ahead and commit right now."

Great job coach Ianello and everyone else that was involved. I do not remember the last time I was this excited for football.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll take it. Kid is obviously coming from a football factory high school. However we might be just a little liberal with the phrase "highly regarded"