Tuesday, January 31, 2012

QB Turner Baty eager to compete

When Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis learned Monday that City College of San Francisco quarterback Turner Baty had orally committed to join the Jayhawks, he knew exactly the kind of player he was getting.

The reason? Weis kind of already has one like Baty.

During Baty’s visit to KU last weekend, he had the opportunity to catch up with old friend and current KU quarterback Dayne Crist for about five minutes upon arriving. That’s all it took for Baty’s mom, Kathleen, to get a feel for whom her son would be competing with and against for the next year.

“He was out of town this weekend, but he stuck around to say hi to me right when I got on campus,” Baty said by telephone Monday night. “Right after he left, my mom said, ‘He is exactly like you.’”

Both come to KU with playing experience at another college. Both are mature leaders who value hard work and a team-first mentality over everything else. And both will be vying for KU’s starting quarterback job this fall.

“Absolutely,” Baty said. “I think the biggest selling point for me was that I loved all the guys. But I think one of the other things is that the coaches told me, ‘Hey, you’ve got a chance to come in and play. We do not have depth at quarterback, and we will play the best guy no matter what.’ They said right away, ‘You’re gonna be competing for No. 1.’”

Baty liked the sound of that.

“Obviously, Dayne will have a leg up,” he said. “He’s been in the offense for three years, and he’ll be there in the spring, when I won’t. But I’ve had to work for everything I’ve got, and no one’s hungrier than me. No one will work harder than me. That’s the thing that I can control.”

During his one season at CCSF, Baty threw for 3,149 yards and 42 touchdowns while completing 64 percent of his passes. At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, he calls himself a pro-style quarterback but takes pride in his ability to make plays outside of the pocket if needed.

In addition to being thrilled by the chance to play for Weis and learn from quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus, Baty also was impressed by the man who will be responsible for putting him through the ringer in the weight room, strength coach Scott Holsopple.

“He blew me away,” Baty said. “He had a great presentation, and he coached Tim Tebow when Florida was winning national championships. They’re not just college coaches. These are guys that are the best of the best. To have that at such a special place like Kansas, like Lawrence, I really think it’ll go perfect together, and I know in a few years Kansas will be one of the top programs in the country. I know coach Weis will get us there. To have this be the start of my career is just awesome.”

Baty has one semester left at CCSF and will arrive at KU in June. He’ll have four years left on his clock and three years of eligibility remaining. He’s eager to play as soon as he can, but also mentioned that he’s aware that taking a red shirt in 2012 could be an option.

“I’ve won at every level, and I intend to do that at Kansas,” he said. “I intend to be the quarterback that helps turn this program around, whether it be next year or the year after. I’m just so excited to get going. I wish I could go now.”

Earlier Monday, Tyree Williams, a 6-foot, 190-pound athlete from Dulles High in Sugar Land, Texas, announced that he had orally committed to Kansas over SMU. Williams said the main reason he picked KU was the coaching staff and his love for Lawrence.

The addition of Baty and Williams brings KU’s number of commits in the Class of 2012 to 18, including the three transfers who already are on campus (Crist, Jake Heaps and wide receiver Justin McCay). Weis said earlier this month that he expected the class to be in the 20s. He also said he would save a few spots for more transfers.

National signing day is Wednesday, and the signing period runs through April 1.

Comments

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Matt or somebody like me on the basketball page that follows recruiting pretty closely (Football recruiting that is)...............can somebody give a run down on these kids ranking wise or an opinion on who the most hyped kids are in this KU class?

Sorry, unlike basketball, I don't follow much on the football side of things, but I do admit for the first time in a long time.......I'm actually excited about the football team! That's good for this "Basketball Junkie"!

BTW, what is the history of this Baty kid? What was he like in High School and why the path to the San Francisco school? After reading above and the article about Baty yesterday by Matt Tait............I really like this kid! I know nothing about him, but I'm pretty impressed with the character of this kid! That means nothing most likely coming from me on this football board, but just my opinion.

Man, I'm loving the "Buzz" of the football program already!

mstrausz 2 years, 2 months ago

I am as excited as everyone else but have a terrible feeling that we are going to get Bob Huggins-ed. Weis is looking for a school where he can get back on the coaching map. He will bring in some good players, maybe even some great ones, then leave after a couple of years for a higher profile job. Luckily he will leave us in better shape than when he came.

TaskForce 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget about Jablonski who will be the backup QB coming out of Spring Practice. He is a winner and has a strong arm. In the Fall, Baty will have to beat out Jablonski for the backup position as Jablonski will already have proved himself in Weis's system and has alrady built up the confidence of his teammates as the QB for the Scout team last fall (Daymond Patterson loved Blake - see Patterson's blog). However with that said its all about competition, so let the best man for the job win. The best man will ultimately be determined by who will lead KU to many victories.

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm.....I thought that the coaching staff told BB that he wouldn't be able to compete for the starting job? Compare Baty's attitude with the QB formerly known as Berglund and you get a sense of what it takes to compete in the Big 12 vs. having a job handed to you.

I don't know Baty's background but he knows that both Crist and Heaps are here, and yet, he chooses to come and compete. I like that about him!

gardenjay 2 years, 2 months ago

So we've heard much more about Kathleen Baty - not a whole lot about Greg Baty. I would like to know more about Greg Baty and his time at the Miami Dolphins, not to disregard Kathleen, and Angel Parmalee - I'm sure they're great people, but this is a sports site and their fathers played for the Dolphins for crying out loud.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 2 months ago

How is "Baty" pronounced? "Bat-ee"? "Bay-tee"? Otherwise? Thx!

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm impressed with the kid. He has great mechanics. He was only a freshman and tore it up. While these are juco kids, they are still way better then high school. It seemed he had great accuracy and many 25+ yard passes that hit the wideouts in stride. Now it was a highlight tape so we don't get to see the bad. But his stats imply that he will have the chance to be a very good qb.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Kid took a strange path.

"... an offer from Stanford, and interest from Tennessee, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Ole Miss and Georgia..." out of high school. Chose to go to go to JUCO but not because of grades. I don't think I've heard that one yet.

He said he turned down Stanford because it didn't feel like the right fit. That's a pretty huge decision, and one I'd like to know more about.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 2 months ago

Happened to notice a picture on Jayhawkslant.com of Baty holding a KU #7 jersey (Pick's number). Pick is still with the team, right? Maybe he's going with a more traditional WR number this year?

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

Glad to see that people are not trashing the JUCO players now. Used to be that cause K-State did it, we would trash the idea. I guess their success is hard to argue with after awhile, not to mention now everyone is doing it. Glad to see us at CCSF. We have a lot of alum in CA and going the JUCO route will help us get established more within the state of California. Think of it, California has three major foorball programs, USC, UCLA, and Cal. 36 million residents for three schools. Over 12 million residents for one major school. We have what, 2.5 million residents in Kansas for two schools, or about 1M per school. Meanwhile, Texas has UT, TTech, SMU, TCU, Baylor, TAMU, Houston and everyone else is mining the state hard. That is 24 million residents or 4M residents per school. Therefore, I contend that in comparison California has never been recruited like it should while Texas is worked heavily.

Micky Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Rivals is reporting that Kansas is amongst the leaders in the nation for the class of QBs this year.

Now, lets take hold of that momentum and next year get a top 20 class overall, which could end the bad taste Turner Gill left in my mouth, and many others I suspect.

Micky Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

I read a little about this guy, and there is a guy that he reminds me of as far as work ethic goes. Todd Reesing. He isn't the same type of QB that Reesing was, but this guy is going to work hard. He's won a state high school state title and a NJCAA National Title this past season. Welcome to Lawrence.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 2 months ago

couldn't you red shirt and then pull it if Crist got hurt? Anyone know if heaps is mormon/will he go on a mission?

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 2 months ago

Baty can't redshirt....we have no backup at QB. if you're willing to have Michael Cummings be the backup (which i am not), then you can RS Baty....but i don't see how. Cummings is a spread, run first QB, who will be learning and playing in a pro style offense. Not happening.

Welcome Turner! we need you! Go Jayhawks!

VaJay 2 years, 2 months ago

I feel like Bill Murray on Groundhog Day - when he says (on the last morning) "anything different is good!". I think we're getting strong signals with all the positive activity and terrific recruiting results - THIS IS DIFFERENT and in a very good way. Expect something special in the fall - even though we might not make a bowl game the first season (how many teams come back from disasters to bowl worthy in a year - let alone with a brutal schedule like ours) - WE WILL BE COMPETITIVE - and how exciting is that!!

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that he was told he would be competing for minutes and the opportunity to start. Isn't that supposedly why Berglund left, because he was told he wouldn't be given the opportunity to compete to start? Makes one wonder if Berglund was making that up. I do know the right way to handle the situation is make everyone compete for playing time, so I'm glad to hear the coaches told this kid that.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Aside from Reesing playing great and locking up the job as a sophomore, the QB position has never looked so good. I like this a lot! On paper it looks like Baty red shirts unless Crist goes down. If that happens, we have...

2012: Crist 2013: Heaps 2014: Heaps 2015: Baty

Of course, projecting 4 years down the road is pretty foolish. Also, Crist and Heaps are great talents and have the hype, but if Baty is the man then get him on the field!

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 2 months ago

Phog II?? Phog Stadium? (As every other stadium is named Memorial)?? James (Naismith), Phog, Larry, Roy, Bill.... Charlie! Let's even out some of this bball with football tradition!!

Love KU!!

Best school/college town in America. And I've been to Urbana, Madison, Columbus(tho its more of a city), Cuse was east coast as they come, Miami had a brat feel, but was a pretty good time too Il give it up, Bama has a good football culture, but as we know, college sports are more than just Saturdays... Berkeley cool, but see Boulder(below), Ucla campus, USC/Compton university of spoiled children need we say more?, Boulder is cool and everything, but their students care more about music and can't name 5 players on their own team, or 3 players on their own bball team- even when they beat KU and make the tourney like '02... That's my one beef with both Boulder and Berkeley, how hard is it to find a sports bar, are we in Santa Cruz? Cuz it pretty much feels like it! I'm part hippie myself but jeez people, exercise that pancake, flapjack city 1,2,3...UNLV!!! Great place, wonder why it doesn't hold more of a pull to be a 100% honest, loved that spot before I turned 21... Austin is pretty amazing. Il give it up, but Lawrence, KS is the spot.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 2 months ago

Year Opened: 1921 | Field Surface: Artificial Turf

The Jayhawks football team finds its home in the shadows of Phog Allen Field House. Memorial Stadium was opened in 1921 in honor of those University of Kansas students who fought and died during World War I.

Dr. F.C. "Phog" Allen has a rich and storied history at KU and most will remember him as the famed basketball coach who put Jayhawks basketball on the map and developed a hardwood tradition rarely rivaled. Few may know that it was Allen who recognized the need for a new stadium. He spent his first and only season as the KU football coach in 1920, which including a remarkable second-half comeback against Nebraska. Down 20-0 at halftime, the Jayhawks battled back to earn a tie. It was the fuel the student body and faculty needed to generate the funds and enthusiasm to realize Allen's vision of a new stadium.

The next season Memorial Stadium opened, on Oct. 29, 1921, with a 21-7 victory against Kansas State in front of 5,160 fans, By season's end 15,480 fans filled seats for a game.

Memorial Stadium is recognized as the first stadium built on a college campus west of the Mississippi River and is the seventh oldest collegiate stadium in the nation. It now has a capacity of more than 50,000.

Prior to the opening of Memorial Stadium, KU played at Old Central Park (1890-91) and McCook Field (1892-1920). On May 10, 1921, the university observed "Stadium Day," during which nearly 4,000 students came out to help demolish McCook Field in favor of the new stadium.

Calijhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I remember when Frank Seurer visited, he was so blown away by Lawrence he went home to Huntington Beach and recruited his teammate, Kerwin Bell.

I have always felt that if we could get top recruits to visit Lawrence, we could sign our share. We have a terrific place to go to school.