Monday, January 30, 2012

Jayhawks land two recruits, lose one

The final recruiting weekend for the Class of 2012 produced some mixed results for the Kansas University football team, as KU coach Charlie Weis picked up two commitments and may have lost another.

Dallas linebacker Courtney Arnick orally committed to KU in Weis’ office at the end of his weekend visit; El Camino Community College defensive tackle Jordan Tavai committed to KU late Sunday night; and Butler County CC defensive lineman Chaquil Reed appears to have switched his commitment from KU to Kansas State. Reed visited Manhattan over the weekend.

The addition of Arnick helps Kansas more than the loss of Reed hurts. For starters, Reed has not officially committed to KSU yet — though that’s expected to happen Tuesday — and, with the addition of Tavai, 6-foot-3, 280 pounds, KU now has five other defensive linemen committed in this class. So far, Arnick is the only linebacker committed in KU’s 13-man class.

New KU recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello was the lead recruiter for Tavai, who chose KU over Texas Tech.

Arnick, 6-2, 200 pounds, hails from Dallas’ Carter High, where he was a first team all-district selection last season. He chose KU over offers from Boise State, Houston and Memphis, among others, and he visited all three in the past week. His decision to choose Kansas came down to the positive vibe he got from KU’s coaches, players and facilities.

KU assistant Clint Bowen was the lead recruiter for the three-star linebacker, but it’s clear the addition of defensive coordinator Dave Campo played a part as well.

“He was a real nice guy and welcomed me into the program,” Arnick said of Campo in an interview with Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. “He told me they needed speed on defense and I could help them out. I know he can make me a better player.”

Campo, who was hired a little more than two weeks ago, has been active on the recruiting trail since arriving at Kansas, and Kirby said the former Dallas Cowboys coach’s name has done wonders to help sell KU.

“It absolutely has,” Kirby said. “I’ve talked to several kids who have met with (Campo) and had in-home visits with him, and they all love him. The one thing that almost every recruit I’ve talked to has said about him is how much they like his enthusiasm.”

A couple of other developments from the weekend include:

• Tyree Williams, a 6-foot, 190-pound athlete from Dulles High in Sugar Land, Texas, has narrowed his list to KU and SMU and appears to be leaning toward Kansas. Williams also visited Kansas over the weekend.

• Cleveland cornerback Sean Draper, who was scheduled to visit KU last weekend but wound up not making it, seems to have eliminated KU from his list. No word on Draper’s Glenville teammate, V’Angelo Bentley, who was able to make it to Lawrence over the weekend.

• City College of San Francisco quarterback Turner Baty spent the past couple of days Tweeting about the Jayhawks. Baty, who also recently visited KU, says he has not committed anywhere yet.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

Lol and ouch!!! I laughed and shot dr pepper through my nose. It burns! It burns!

gardenjay 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, it's in the right direction....doesn't look like 'mixed results' to me, more like you don't win them all. Some kids are going to look at the program and decide they no longer get playing time, for example.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

Ya, especially considering the amount of JuCo DTs we brought in... Apparently Reed did not think that he could win the starting job, so sounds like the addition of Tavai scared him... Haha good. We don't need that kinda loser "oh they signed another DT, looks like I'm gonna ride pine" mentality at this program.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

or maybe he just liked K-State better...it does happen

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Yep, Bad things do happen to good people.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Yep, Bad things do happen to good people.

sfbevo 2 years, 7 months ago

Also heard the coaching staff told him if he visited KSU his scholarship offer would be pulled. His coaching staff at BCC was begging him not to do the visit. The Weis/Campo combo is one not to be trifled with. They mean and do what they say. Hello Bergland? Matt did you hear anything similar?

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Pretty low if that is the case. The kid shouldn't have to deal with crap like that at a time like this. sounds like Weiss is afraid to lose anything to KSU.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 7 months ago

Its actually a fairly common practice, especially once a verbal commitment is made. Same thing supposedly happened to the db out of Texas who recently committed to KU... he had verballed to Utah but had that offer rescinded when he visited Lawrence.

martyks 2 years, 7 months ago

Weis did that at Notre Dame, pulling the "You look around and we're done with you." crap. I hate that. Let's just say he likes to throw his weight around. I get the idea that if a kid commits and then visits somewhere else, fine, cut him loose, but even then, the attitude is the kids can't shop around for a program that's best for them? Who is this supposed to be about anyway?

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

Lol. Ya, taking that too often makes for a rough night when it's gone.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

Can't wait to see my doctor Thursday! Like x-mas morning leaving that place, every. single. month.

MDHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Never really thought of myself as Santa Claus...interesting perspective.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

For those who have to deal with pain (on a regular basis), I would say so.

Chad Burroughs 2 years, 7 months ago

Any word on the huge 6-8 360 lbs. Juco lineman from cali?

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Word is that I could take him in a fight.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Carlos Lozano. As far as anyone knows, he hasn't decided yet. Apparently it's between KU, KSU, Utah, Utah St, UCLA, and Washington St. With signing day on the horizon, I'm guessing we'll know very, very soon.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

"My visit to KU was unreal. Lawrence is amazing. RCJH."

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

Rivals still has Reed as a soft verbal to KU. he might come down to signing day...and whatever school gets the fax from him, that's where he'll go. It does appear we have shored up our defensive line....woefully lacking in quality and depth the last couple of years.

We probably need the JUCO QB to commit as well....despite our run of highly recruited QBs, right now our #2 for 2012 is Michael Cummings....a spread system, run first QB who will learn an entire new, pro style offense this spring.....i don't like that depth there at all. Not that he can't do it, but experience says otherwise.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget about Cale Pick as a backup QB. It's not like he's Kerry Meier at wideout!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

I've heard Cummings has an arm almost as good as his legs. The fact that he can run does not mean that he needs to run. It's just a nice extra.

Besides, everyone, new recruits and returning players, are learning a new O - well, except for a couple coaches and Dayne "the coach in cleats" Crist.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Agree. Aaron Rodgers can also run, but doesn't have to that much...

It's gonna take some time for him to learn the new system, but, hopefully, he'll have a lot of time with Crist tearing it up...

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt, when is our fall schedule published? What if BEast is legally able to keep WV tied up, what does Chuckie N say about fill ins?

If WV pays BEast to escape early is it more or less than MU paid B12 and is it a fee to WV or do we "B12" assume the fees?

Seems like enough smoke here for a story to explain options and legalities. In it review the exit fees of Buffs and Huskers.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

I've been following Greg Swaim on Twitter. He seems absolutely convinced it is a done deal already and they are just waiting on the details. I'm not endorsing Swaim, so take that for whatever it's worth, but it would make sense as the Big XII already said they are putting out their schedule on 2/1, I believe. Swaim also seems convinced the negotiations are in their final stages for BYU and Louisville to become teams 11 & 12. I'm less convinced of that, but I do believe WVU will be here in the fall and will pay something in the range of $12M to the BE for leaving early.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't get it with BYU. I get that they a good get in football, but if they only come for football, what the hell does the Big XII do with 11 teams for everything else? Maybe it's not just football, but I still think it's a stretch, both geographically and logistically. Louisville I get now that WVU is part of the conference.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt generally doesn't file those type of stories without completely accurate info. I've picked up from him that he really doesn't like to disseminate wrong information (unfortunately, an almost extinct trait in journalists these days), so I wouldn't expect a speculation piece on that.

That being said, he has already stated in his blogs that he believes WVU next year is basically a done deal, and both sides are just ironing out the loose ends. That does seem to go along with what most people are saying, including what raprichard has stated above.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 7 months ago

Our defensive line is not shored by any stretch. We need all the help on the line that we can get. Picking up a line-backer while losing Reed doesn't soften the blow. Hopefully Reed decides to commit to KU come Tuesday.

Regarding Dorial Beckam...I have ties into Hillcrest High School. From what I'm hearing...he's keeping his decision locked in until signing day. Most folks around Springfield think he's going to Arkansas...while there is also chatter of him going to Oklahoma. Have heard nothing thus far of any of the KU coaching staff being in town as of late.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

5 DL commits, mostly DT's, is not shored up? That's huge.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

They are bodies to throw in the mix – if one or two turn out to be more than that, we can use words like 'shored up'.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 7 months ago

It's not huge when we didn't have any talent at d-line coming back...other than Operum. We also lost some line guys when HCCW made his cuts. On top of that...how many...if any...of these incoming Juco d-linemen are any good ? Trust me...we still need some additional D-linemen to commit.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

Big John Williams will be back next year, that will help. I can't imagine how they even found the bodies to make practice challenging last year, we were so thin on the DL. You're right about needing more bodies, but freshmen rarely contribute, so I think Weiss is doing about as good a job as could be expected for what he's working with.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm still worried about our D-Line as well, but I do think I'm a little more optimistic than you might be. Losing Reed stinks (if we do lose him), but gaining Tavai is definitely big. He was a JuCo All-American. Certainly, he might not pan out, but, then again, Reed might not have either.

Personally, I think Tavai is going to have an immediate impact. Just a gut feeling, but I'm excited about this pick up.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Bill Snyder is a legend, no doubt, but he's also 72. There's been speculation Snyder will not make any retirement announcement until after he's signed this class. Curious if Snyder be coaching next year. Surely his doctor would be concerned about him going another full season as a D1 football coach.

Also when he retires, wouldn't it make more sense to have a transition mid-season so he doesn't lose recruits in the summer to transfer?

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

It is the weak sisters of the world who want others to do less. I don't want Wildcats to be weaker – I want Jayhawks to be stronger.

danmoore 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. As of 2012 they become our chief rival. If KSU were to resort to their pre-Snyder days it wouldn't be much of a rivarly.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I see the logic there but the ethics would be a major concern. Bad move to recruit kids you have no intention of coaching.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

We agree on that. I too much prefer a strong Snyder coached team to go with a much more powerful brand of Jayhawk football. That said he's 72 and this is a discussion board.

Just looking at reality, he's 72, moving in on a decade past retirement age.

If Vegas had a bet on this, let's just say Snyder would be nuts to retire any other time than midseason to avoid transfers.

To say Snyder hasn't begun to make a plan for a transition would be short-sighted. The man is a genius. He surely has a transition plan of some sort. Remember what happened last time he left, leaving after the season?

Highly doubt he'll do that again. His recruiting class completely fell apart. Surely he's learned from that.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Leaving after you've signed recruits is a shady, shady move. I have respect for Snyder, and I don't think he'd make a D-baggy move like that.

Would it help the KState program? Sure. But it would be a crappy thing to do to 18-year-old kids who trusted a coach that said he would be there. And if you're willing to eff over kids for the benefit of a program, well... Penn State may have a job for you....

bayareajhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Remember when he yanked Ell Roberson's scholarship after that infamous New Year's incident at the Fiesta Bowl? He suspended Roberson for a quarter, played him the last three quarters, and then yanked his scholarship just a few months before graduation because "it was the Christian thing to do." The press release actually said something like that. I found that to be, as you succinctly put it, a D-baggy move.

If you don't remember, Snyder used up Roberson's eligibility by having him quarterback a BCS game days after an alleged incident at the team hotel during a New Year's Eve party. Soon after the game, Snyder kicked him out of school and took away any chance Roberson had of getting a college degree under the guise of being a family-values oriented Christian. I have an outrageous amount of respect for Snyder's coaching ability, but that incident has always really bothered me. I wouldn't put bailing out on recruits past him. He will do whatever he thinks is best for K-State.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

LA, I don't think that anyone disagrees that its shady if we're dealing with a 45 year old coach. I don't think Snyder has an evil bone in his body. This really is about father time and what he learned from the huge recruiting hit the last time he retired.

It could be called shady but I think in this instance we'd let a midseason retirement slide if it's a coach whose almost 73.

Snyder has earned our respect. To think that there isn't a possible midseason retirement plan in place seems idiotic----doing the same thing over expecting a better result. The other reason their AD might support a move like this is it makes for an easier transition for their next coach----straight into coaching, no interviews, if he fails horribly, then the KSU AD just hires a new one after the bowls are played. If he succeeds KSU has a new coach.

RCJ

bville_hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, Matt, for the football fix.

Re: Bill Snyder. The guy apparently wasn't happy in retirement the first time. In interviews and his sideline demeanor he doesn't appear to me to have changed at all over the years. Compared to Pappa Joe in recent years and Bobby Bowden to a lesser extent, Bill Snyder in no way appears to be losing his grip or resembles a "tired old man."

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

No, the guy's life is football and he seems to be healthy. I'd be surprised if he retires in the next 2 or 3 years.

danmoore 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm more interested in who his replacement will be. Patterson, Venables, Mangino, Leavitt could all be candidates. Given what he’s done in Manhattan I would think they would be able to attract a pretty good coach but then they hired Ron Prince so what do I know. Still puzzled by that hire.

bville_hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

danmoore- you sound like a ksu alum. When Snyder retired last time they were all expecting to attract someone like Bill Walsh. It didn't pan out. Either no one wants to come to Manhattan (understandable) or no one wanted to follow Snyder (also understandable).

JayhawkGrad05 2 years, 7 months ago

Just picked up a commit from CB Tyree Williams, too. Only a 2 star on Rivals, though.

ddeenihan 2 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully he's the Charles Gordon or Aqib Talib style 2 star recruit...