Friday, January 27, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor’s treys ‘aren’t important’

Teahan, Johnson struggling behind arc

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor gives a pep talk to teammate Elijah Johnson during the second half on Monday, Jan. 23, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Tyshawn Taylor has been hot from three-point land — teammates Elijah Johnson and Conner Teahan not so much — in recent Kansas University basketball games.

“I was actually just talking to Elijah about this yesterday. My threes aren’t that important because that’s not really my game,” said Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior who has hit 10 of his last 18 threes over the last three games (55.6 percent) and for the year is a 45.7 percent long-distance shooter.

“It’s good that they are falling for me, but I’m at my best when I’m attacking. That’s what I’m looking to do. If the threes fall, that’s good, but if not, we just have to keep playing. We can’t live and die by that.”

Teahan, a 6-6 senior, has made five of his last 23 threes (22 percent) over the last six games and has made 36.4 percent for the season. Johnson, who made one of seven threes in Monday’s 64-54 victory over Texas A&M;, has cashed 19 of 49 (38.8 percent) treys in his last seven games, which is actually better than his 28.8 mark for the year.

“I think he’s kind of falling in love with that three,” Taylor said of Johnson, a 6-4 junior from Las Vegas. “I’ve been yelling at him and talking to him and giving him pep talks and letting him know he’s a way better player (than that), he’s not strictly a three-point shooter.

“That’s a luxury to have because he is able to get in the paint just like I am. He has to get himself going, get fouled, attack the rim, make a couple free throws, get a layup, and maybe those long balls will start falling. He’s keeping a good attitude, working hard, coming in the gym early to shoot. He’ll be fine,” Taylor added.

Johnson has been to the free-throw line 17 times all season, making 13 for 76.5 percent. Taylor has made 83 of 121 free throws for 68.6 percent.

“He can get hot. He can make four or five (threes) in a row. I’ve seen him do it, but I think he’s just falling in love with it too much,” Taylor said. “It’s still going to be there, try to get something easier to get something going. That’s what I tell him, anyway.”

KU coach Bill Self said the good news is he’s seen “nothing wrong” with Johnson’s long-range shooting form.

“It can get a little flat sometimes,” Self said. “If you are a good shooter, you never miss right or left, you miss long or short. If you notice, his misses are all long. I don’t think it’s major. I guess one was wide-left last game, but for the most part they are short or long.”

Johnson definitely isn’t shy about bombing away.

“Obviously, the way he was clipping them off the other day (vs. A&M;), he wasn’t too worried about what happened on the previous shot. That’s a positive,” Self said. “I think his shot selection the other day wasn’t great, though. It was almost like he was pressing, just trying to make one. I think he has progressed a lot in a lot of ways. He had a bad game against Texas A&M;, but he also made the biggest shot of the game against Texas. He has done a lot of really good things, he just hasn’t shot the ball consistently from behind the arc.”

Of Taylor’s three-point accuracy, Self said: “I never put numbers on guys, but I thought he could potentially be a 40 percent three-point shooter, which I think is pretty good. If you take away a stretch at the beginning of Big 12 play (4-for-17 over the first four games), he’s probably shooting about 50 percent for the year. He has done a good job with his shot. It has gotten a lot better. Still, the best thing he does is get to the basket.”

KU will meet Iowa State at 1 p.m. Saturday at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Frankamp MVP: Future KU combo guard Conner Frankamp tied Nino Samuel’s McPherson Invitational record of 114 points (in three games) in winning MVP honors at last week’s tourney. Frankamp, a 6-foot junior from Wichita North, scored 48 points against Derby, 38 vs. Buhler and 28 against Blue Valley West. Samuel scored 114 points at that tourney back in 1972. Frankamp’s 48-point outing came in a 66-61 loss in the fifth-place game. Samuel still holds the single-game scoring record in the tourney (54).

“He (Frankamp) is unbelievable. His point total got away from us a little bit,” Derby coach Brett Flory told derbyinformer.com. “You have to tip your cap to him, obviously. We were trapping him at every opportunity, running two guys at him every opportunity and he still put on a show.”

Ellis honored: Future KU forward Perry Ellis of Wichita Heights averaged 29 points a game in taking most inspirational player honors at last week’s Dodge City Tournament of Champions. Ellis also made the all-tourney team and won the tourney’s academic award. Ellis, a 6-8 senior, scored 31 points in Heights’ 69-52 title victory over Wichita East. He hit 13 of 16 free throws in that game.

“He is unbelievable,” Heights coach Joe Auer told the Dodge City Globe. “He plays his tail off, and he does it with such class and dignity. He’s the greatest high school basketball player I’ve ever seen in the state of Kansas, and he’ll never tell you that, but I’ll tell you that right now. His resume speaks for itself, as he’s doing things no one has ever done, and it’s a joy and a treat to coach him and be around him every day, and I’m going to enjoy the rest of the games I get to spend with him because he’s a special young man.”

Comments

William Blake 7 years ago

"He has to get himself going, get fouled, attack the rim, make a couple free throws, get a layup, and maybe those long balls will start falling. He’s keeping a good attitude, working hard, coming in the gym early to shoot. He’ll be fine,” Taylor added."

"If the threes fall, that’s good, but if not, we just have to keep playing. We can’t live and die by that.”

Everyone on the team should listen to what TT is saying. He's in the groove and he is reaching out trying to spread his confidence wealth. Free money... grab it!

FSUJHAWK 7 years ago

Further, I would say TT's maturity bud has sprouted and is nearing full bloom. Greatest in-season turn around I've seen in years.

RCJHGKU!!!

David Brown 7 years ago

"Johnson has been to the free-throw line 17 times all season, making 13 for 76.5 percent." ONLY 17 times ALL SEASON??? Drive the ball and get fouled Mr. Johnson. 17 trips to the line is far too few for a starting guard.

Ryan Shelton 7 years ago

My thoughts exactly. And I wonder how many of those 17 are at the end of the game when the other team is trying to foul? On a side note, I love the new-look Tyshawn. Great leadership!

MDHawk 7 years ago

Particularly for one as athletic as Johnson...

youowethehawks 7 years ago

Tyshawn is absolutely right. I wish I would have read this article first this morning... but to repost from previous story.

When a good shooter isn't making "his shot", nothing gets him going better than canning 2 or 3 10-15 foot jumpers before stepping back out to hit the long ball.

Everyone expects Conner to take the 3. At the risk of sounding like Bobby "Gin Blossom Nose" Knight, if he'd use a shot fake, get his defender off his feet and take two dribbles towards the basket, he'd have an open 15 footer any time he wants it. Now, I don't know about you, but I feel like that's a shot he could make on a consistent basis that would let him "feel" the basket a little bit better than he is currently.

I feel like EJ could use the same methodology and find success. Additionally, considering how good of an athlete as he is, he should be taking advantage of the mid-range game to get himself back on track, if not drive every once and a while and get to the line.

Clarence Haynes 7 years ago

We don't have to gun a lot of threes to win. Ironically, EJ has done before what TT is suggesting. EJ was the catalyst in the come from behind Texas win when he hit a mid range jumper followed by one from TT. Conner has done something similar, taking the ball to the hoop I believe against the Cyclones.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

+1 slayer.

Despite Taylor's statements to the contrary, we all know his 3s ARE important. It makes the defense adjust,allowing TT to use his speed and attack.

EJ on the other hand needs to jump start his game by getting to the rim, making FTs and better shot selection.... I'm not sure how many teams coming up are prepared to cover 2 guards that look to attack first and hit open 3s.

EJ has all the right tools...

Time to get it all together EJ.

Curtis Stutz 7 years ago

Love the leadership from TT Also good to see EJ is not giving up

lothario64118 7 years ago

EJ is a train wreck on 3pts shooting. Shame on Self for encouraging it. How long had his "slump" been?

He's best when he takes it to the basket. And he rarely does. WTF?!?!

KULA 7 years ago

Self knows he needs EJ hitting 3's for this team to advance. We are not a good 3pt team and Bill knows he's gonna need them anywhere he can get them. And yes, EJ does seem better on the move. Looks like he shoots better off a dribble than spotting up. But you still gotta have a 3pt threat.

manunitedjayhawk 7 years ago

Shame on Self for encouraging EJ in all facets of his game? That isn't exactly what a coach does at the D1 level. I think the coaching staff and his teammates all know he needs to take attack the rim more often. Tyshawn is showing great leadership it seems with his teammates. He knows how good EJ can be and his comments show how much he cares about the success of his teammates. Lets just let Self do what he does best...coach basketball.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

Totally off topic, but have we confirmed or denied that some Mizzou fans have made/were considering making shirts saying "NMT"? (No Mom Tom) Referring to Thomas, of course.

The internet is abuzz with rumors... I'd like to think nobody is that classless, but then again... I wouldn't be that surprised...

actorman 7 years ago

It wouldn't be the first time that fans have shown that type of "class." There's a famous story about ASU fans. I believe it was Steve Kerr of Arizona whose father had been killed by Arab terrorists, and when Arizona played at ASU the ASU fans chanted "PLO! PLO!"

Would it really surprise anyone if Misuse fans behaved like that?

actorman 7 years ago

The "PLO"s were in caps. Thanks again for your nonsensical censorship, LJW.

Cmill1221 7 years ago

My jaw just dropped! That's almost unbelievable that someone would be so sick to do that. But it is Missouri, and considering their history of Rape, Murder, and meth use I can't put it past them.

Ted Toulouse 7 years ago

I would say if you've heard it, it will happen. There were a lot of tasteless Mizzou posts on Twitter, etc. about the OSU plane crashes after they waxed Mizzou Wed. night.

Mizzou sports fans rank up there as one of the dumbest demographics, followed by Maryland drivers.

ccarp 7 years ago

Man, muck Fizzou! We are going to the Paige and I anxiously await the opportunity to send the tigers out of their own building with a haunting "RockChalk". I closed the Hearnes when we went 16-0, this Big 12 game could be bigger. Forget those classless fools, our basketball programs have never been in the same league!

Ben Kane 7 years ago

twitter is blowing up over the NMT rumors. I doubt it will actually happen. just the fact that the idea was tossed around though is a perfect example of why i hate everything about misery. I will not miss them at all. yes it is a historic rivalry but you know what's even better than that? not having to ever go back there!

Brak 7 years ago

Not gonna happen, it was just one Mizzou troll stirring the pot on a KU message board. Not to defend Mizzou fans but from what I can tell this one guy is the only one that mentioned this and the rest are taking him to task. There's always a few bad apples in the bunch, even at KU. Now saying that they are still a classless bunch and it wouldn't be the first time they made fun of someone's dead relative - Nick Collison showed them why it was a mistake.

7 years ago

I seem to recall the antlers had a sign taunting Roy Williams about his mom’s death shortly after it occurred, so the "NMT" would come as no surprise.

ku_foaf 7 years ago

Telling the Antlers to have some class is like yelling at fish to get out of the water.

Cole Hogan 7 years ago

there was a girl i was friends with on FB who is attending MU currently(She is such a B****), and she was saying that yes, the shirts are real, and she has seen them, but it does not include the entire student body, it is one specific student faction that seem sto have come up with the idea.

Kye Clark 7 years ago

"...was friends with..."

I hope your friendship is a farce, just a clever cover to help you get inside information like this. I would never claim a friend that went to that cesspool, and would drop any of the friends I already have if they started attending.

Cole Hogan 7 years ago

Well of course! Haha she was in the group i went to prom with last school year. She graduated, i didnt, and she went to a different schhol in highschool. Therefore, i was unaware she attended that....place. That is...until she posted an anti-KU status last night. We got into a pretty epic argument on that status...and she then proceeded to delete me as a 'friend.' fine by me!

Mallory Rempp 7 years ago

I would like to think after all the buzz it's created in this short amount of time that the Mizzou 'leaders' would not allow anyone in wearing these shirts or kicking out anyone in the stands who have them. Completely absurd to think there are human beings in this world cruel enough to think this was okay. But then again, it is Mizzou....at the end of the day, it's obvious to say this will spark our team and certainly light a fire under their asses. Missouri better prepare for the wrath of the Jayhawk nation. FOE

Geekinout 7 years ago

A little off/off topic, but again, this is why I am not a Chiefs fan... To the Chiefs fans out there, you cheer for the same Missouri Jackson County product these nimrods do. You support their state and county when you root for them on Sundays!

JayHawkFanToo 7 years ago

I would not put anything past this group of sociopaths, also known as the antlers. The link has a few post that describe in detail some of the thing these anti-socials have done. http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=2850 I don't believe there is a more vile group in all sports than the antlers.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

Hopefully this link will work... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=8626523

Shows after the OSU loss MU fans were tweeting references to the plane crash that killed members of OSU athletics.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

If not, it is posted on PHOG.net, Mizzou Fans Twitter.

I've seen a few instances of ugly fan behavior from KU fans but in all truthfulness, I've always been proud of our school and our fans.

I may have posted my one experience at Columbia when going to a game..so I'll just say that I was never so happy to see Mizzou in our rear view mirror.

KULA 7 years ago

Great to see the leadership from Tyshawn. Especially after posters here last year said "Tyshawn's got no business tellin' nobody nuthin!"

FairgroveJayhawk 7 years ago

EJ- Tyshawn's right on. Listen to your good buddy. Speaking of Tyshawn. I can't believe how improved he is at driving the lane. It's lots of fun to watch.

jhox 7 years ago

I would like to see EJ drive more. I see flashes of his quickness going after loose balls, where he comes out of nowhere to get a ball 3 or 4 other players are much closer to. It is just amazing how explosive he is the 3 or 4 times I've seen him do that. It leaves me wondering why we don't see it more often and, especially, why we don't see that sort of explosiveness with the ball in his hands. I think part of it is that he is not comfortable dribbling with the off hand. He really needs to work on that this next off season.

I will say EJ's defense is getting better by the day, and he's turning into one of our best on ball defenders.

jhox 7 years ago

John Randall 7 years ago

That happens to lots of posts on this sight – because of the sight, not the poster.

John Randall 7 years ago

John Randall 7 years ago

jhox 7 years ago

Brak 7 years ago

Just because EJ is struggling with his 3s doesn't mean you gotta post 3 times.

Vincent Patterson 7 years ago

This has to be the most encouraging comments I personally have seen since Tyshawn has been here. He is spot on because EJ has completely fallen in love with the trey. Although I agree we do need a three point presence in the rotation, guys have got to be able to contribute when the three is not falling. And even when the three is falling, it doesn't mean that's the only way you have to score. For him to say that EJ can get to the paint just as well as he has been speaks wonders! It's exactly what is missing and has been missing from Bill's teams the past couple of seasons. Look at our teams the past two three years. If Boringstar or Reed weren't hitting, they essentially gave you nothing on the offensive end because they couldn't attack the paint and take their man off the dribble. If both your guards can breakdown a defense off the dribble like that, it does nothing but open up better shots for teammates but also gets you some of the easiest looks in the game...AT THE FREE-THROW LINE. How many times when a guy that's been struggling outside gets fouled and goes to the free throw line have you heard commentators say "maybe this will get him going". That's because there is some truth to that and that has been an actual result time and time again. I have been one of Tyshawn's biggest critics, really just about the turnovers since he is the point guard, but I can't do anything but give him props for these comments and how he has played these last couple of weeks. He is leading this team as well as one would expect a seasoned senior point-guard to do. Keep it up TT!

Scott Oswalt 7 years ago

Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.
Game. Blouses.

sleepy33 7 years ago

Then he took us back inside and made us pancakes.

Pancakes.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

Shoot the Jay... Shoot it!!!

Haha, I think I have identified you, Scott.

Steve Corder 7 years ago

When the jumper doesn't fall then attack the rim with aggressiveness. EJ has the quickness and explosive step to be very successful. Unfortunately, Teahan doesn't have that option like EJ.

REHawk 7 years ago

Get to the charity stripe, EJ. You know what it's going to take to get there. Join Tyshawn in helping to free Thomas from his usual cluster of double and triple defenders. Thwart opposing coaches who have got you on their chalkboards as a soft threat with the ball. You possess more hops and athleticism than 85% of league players. From this point forward, let's see it in action. You are much more likely to get fouled shooting the ball from 2 steps inside the arc.

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years ago

Especially if you're hitting 76% of them - free money man.

Marcia Parsons 7 years ago

Lothario suggested above that it is at Self's direction that EJ keeps shooting 3s even though they aren't going in. I don't believe that's the case as I've heard Self complain that, once EJ realizes his 3 is off, it puts him so down in the dumps that he doesn't do anything else either. Personally I love those backdoor lobs they set up for EJ. He's trying way too hard right now, and seems obsessed with getting that 3 to fall.

John Randall 7 years ago

You are spot on with the 'obsessed' comment. He isn't in love with the three so much as he wants to lead the team in some category, and for a while it seemed 3pt shots made was his thing. Being the third scorer and second perimeter defender is a lot more important to the team, night in and night out. It also spreads the opponent out so everyone's chances are easier,

James Kiernan 7 years ago

Good to see maturity from all the fellas. Personally very excited to see Ellis and Frank the Tank get in here in the next couple of years. With Greene coming in we should be lethal on the perimeter.

Ted Hume 7 years ago

I like to see the big numbers from Frankcamp; unfortunately the key number is 6'0". I wish the kid was a few inches taller- at least at 6'3" he could realistically play the 2 on big time DI stage, but at 6 flat?

HawkKlaw 7 years ago

The kid scored 114 pts in 3 games as a high schooler...it's safe to say his height isn't an issue on any stage.

John Randall 7 years ago

Are you saying it's more important to have assets than it is to use what you have the best way possible? You must be a fan of parents who stuff adolescents with HGH.

Robert Brock 7 years ago

I don't want to see Conner Frankamp and Nino Samuel in the same sentence again. Egad!

oreadman 7 years ago

Nino didn't do much when he got to KU, but he was an absolute beast for Salina Central in the '70's. No matter what the other issues and controversy may have been, that dude could ball. An absolute freak of nature.

jaybate 7 years ago

oreadman,

I was at KU, when Nino Samuels was at KU.

Samuels became the greatest mystery of all the hugely talented players I ever saw.

He deserved to be a star, but instead fell by the way side for reasons I never understood.

Sometimes I wonder if he were KU's The Natural. I wonder if he has been out there in the bush leagues for all these years and will some day show up magically for a try-out as the oldest living walk-on, in a surprisingly still-young and vigorous body. I imagine an aging Bill Self, wearing glasses and with some grey hair, eyeing Samuels, and thinking he looks kind of familiar, but not being able to place him. I imagine the young players making fun of him and calling him pops, and so on. But then I imagine him unzipping his gym bag and pulling out an ancient set of Nikes with the words "Wonderboy" on them and suiting up and coming out on the court and playing just as well as everyone once dreamed that he would. I imagine Bill Self and Joe Dooley and Danny Manning shaking their heads in wonder, trying to remember this amazing old man playing the game as if he had not aged at all. And I remember a young girl now as old and weary as I am, sitting up high in the seats at the south end of the field house with a halo of light from the windows above and behind wrapping round her. She is looking down on what is happening like some kind angel watching over Nino's second chance.

And then I remember that The Natural was a tragic book, made into a beautiful fairy tale movie, and that what is done in time cannot be undone in time, only in fiction and movies.

But I can carry my memory of him as he was in my memory always...

And hope he is well, wherever he may be.

7 years ago

Great imagery, jaybate! I was able to find this:

Looks like Nino is keeping busy in Atlanta area with a basketball school for kids. A nice story from Topeka Capital Journal’s Ernie Webb is contained within the page. It talks about a knee surgery during his playing time at KU (he had six during his entire career, among other health issues). Also this:

"I knew in my heart of hearts when I left Kansas that I was not going to the NBA. I was a broken person," Samuel said. "One of the things that really helps me with these kids is that I can tell them to go to schools that are a fit for them. I still love Kansas, but that was not a good fit for me. I was a greyhound, and that wasn't the style of play. But I hold no animosity for anybody there. I still love Kansas."

jaybate 7 years ago

Thanks so much. That's what they call closure. :-)

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Samuels played in 1973, so assuming a freshman to senior range of seven years centered on '73, you attended KU somewhere between 1970 and 1976, assuming an 18 yr old frosh age thus making you somewhere between 53 and 60!!

Christ, Jaybate, you're just a kid!!!!

jaybate 7 years ago

Some days yes, some days no, Oak, some days yes, some days no.

Alohahawk 7 years ago

I remember a time back in the day, it was late afternoon before a junior varsity game, with only a scattered few in the AFH bleachers. I was sitting in the North section, about four rows up, close to the runway where the Jayhawks always enter the court, talking with a friend about KU BB. I think it was 1971?

Nino Samuels' name came up and we discussed the positives and the negatives of his game for a couple of minutes. When we started discussing another player (might have been Rick Suttle or Roger Brown), we were interrupted by the person behind us. It was Nino, who had been sitting behind us the whole time we were discussing him. My friend and I did a double-take, trying to remember if we had said anything to embarass ourselves. Can only remember that he was friendly and shook our hands.

Funny thing is, although I do remember he was supposed to have been recruited, I don't remember him ever playing at KU. Boy, does that make me feel old.

Steve Brown 7 years ago

Bate and Aloha. It was '71 when a small group of us, including Forrest Gson Mitt or Mitch can't recall came in for the frosh game when the doors opened at 4:30 and sat right behind Ted.

The Nino recruit was huge and he played a HS state championship game in AFH his senior year, a large contingent of KU die hards attended to 'twitter' him up after the game and he just smiled when we said we wanted him. He couldn't miss, made Stallworth look normal. This kid was hot. He had very unusual shot with the ball way over his head and almost behind his head, as I recall it was unorthodox shot and didn't translate to college ball, maybe we tried to repair his mechanics or else he had grade issues, as I don't recall him seeing our court.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Point One: Actually, Tyshawn, your threes have not been important....they've been critical due to the simultaneous slumps of Conner and EJ. Don't stop encouraging these two guys, but, whatever you do, don't you stop shooting the threes.

Point Two: The NMT shirt rumor. Called some people at Misery. They are upset about it because they were afraid that it would be explosive bulletin board material for the Hawks. I asked if they were morally outraged....the answer...crickets!!

Point Three: For all you posters who haven't seen Perry play or seen a clip of his playing, do yourself a favor and check it out. This young man is special. Also, don't let his quiet demeaner fool you. He has the heart of an assassin and the guts of a samuri.

Point Four: Saturday may indeed be the first bump in the conference road for our Hawks. The Cyclones feel they should have beaten us in Allen and "The Mayor" will have them pumped up. If we don't bring our "A" game, we'll leave with a grade of "F"!!

Kye Clark 7 years ago

Point one - I agree. Don't stop making them either please!

Point two - That's about the reaction I expect, on both counts. That they don't really care about the obvious classlessness it highlights in their trash dump of a university, but rather the backlash impact it could have on the game.

Point three - Yep, Perry is the real deal. Haven't seen him play this year, but many times in his first three seasons at Heights. Being a Heights alum myself, his signing was one that I wanted more than any other. Can't wait to see him in the Crimson & Blue next year.

Point four - I'm going to predict that we have an easier time with them the second time around than when we played them in AFH. They are capable of beating us no doubt, but I think their best chance was in the first meeting. Self has seen all their tricks, and will out-game plan the Mayor, especially with this much time to prepare between games. Of course a variety of unexpected things could derail that, injury, foul trouble, ice cold shooting on our part coupled with on fire shooting on theirs. But barring anything unforeseen, we got this.

ku_foaf 7 years ago

Connor Frankamp sounds like another Keiton Page type player. I have a hard time not liking him, he gives short unathletic-looking people hope of playing basketball. I haven't seen Frankamp.

Scott Oswalt 7 years ago

Please never compare Keiton "Piggy" Page to Connor Frankamp. Thank you.

HawkKlaw 7 years ago

Frankamp actually looks pretty athletic, amigo. Go youtube him.

JurisJayhawk 7 years ago

Love it. TT has taken the words out of my mouth! That's a senior right there!

RCJH!

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Just curious..but as a Missouri Tiger fan, what is your reaction to the "No Mom Tom" T-Shirt proposal being circulated in Columbia?

dylans 7 years ago

Not My Team Even Mizery fans want to distance themselves from the U

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

It's kind of interesting as my secondary rooting interest is in Wisconsin who also has a guard named Taylor, Jordan Taylor, a preseason all American by some. I'm not sure if Tyshawn has passed him up, but if I had to choose between one right now not sure which it'd be.

Jordan Taylor's strengths are protecting the ball. Last night they gave an incredible stat, he has turned it over 62 times in 63 Big 10 games he has played in. Unless he has a meltdown, he'll set the career assist to turnover record this year for the NCAA. However, he has had some scoring troubles this year, percentage has dropped a lot. Defensively, he's not quite as quick as Tyshawn.

Tyshawn or Jordan Taylor?

Scott Oswalt 7 years ago

Kansas fans could careless about Wisconsin. Juenemann > J. Taylor

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

I wasn't asking anyone to care about them. I'm just amazed TT has arisen nearly to Jordan's level, I wanted to see what people thought.

Scott Oswalt 7 years ago

You think the outrage over NMT is ridiculous? Hummmm........ Ask TRob if it's ridiculous! Kids acting like kids? More like kids acting like disrespectful douchers.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years ago

When their actions break the boundaries of human decency, it is no longer "kids acting like kids;" it is a demonstration of extreme anti social behavior.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years ago

Human decency has no age; perhaps when you make it to High School you will learn the difference.

Read the following link:

If you believe their antics do not cross the line of human decency, then you are obviously one of them...not surprising, really..

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

mangino: Seriously, defending a proposed NMT shirt is a bit like defending a chant using the "N" word. Really, it's worse. I'm surprised that you can't grasp this .. then again, you might be soobawls reincarnated .. the man who argued that folks should be able to drive as drunk as they want to, so long as they actually didn't actually hurt anyone.

There is a line to be drawn on kids being kids. And it's south of this.

If I saw "kids" at KU games doing anything like this, I'd organize a posse of more mature folks to kick their asses and take possession of the offending shirts. But this wouldn't happen here. Actually, I think our fans would cheer the young man and perhaps even have supportive posters, etc.

I will also say that it hasn't happened at MU yet. There seemed to be no incidents last season on this topic. I really wouldn't expect it this season. Could just be a non-issue.

7 years ago

Possible lineage:

phog = soobawls = IrishDaddy = manginorh00lz

7 years ago

How do we know the other three aren't? :^)

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

I honestly said kids being kids about the home of the chiefs thing, but this is crossing a line.

PurePierce 7 years ago

Possible sideline banter from Ames:

As EJ is coming out at the 6:00 mark,

HCBS: Good going EJ, how do you feel out there? EJ: Okay, but seems like I'm not doing enough for the team. HCBS: Well Elijah, go back in there and jack up a few threes, you'll feel better.

refugee 7 years ago

Unrelated question. Is HCBS actively recruiting anyone for next year at this point? With EJ, Withey, Releford, Tharpe, Young, McLemore, Traylor, Ellis, Lucas, Peters, White, Adams and Wesley that seems like a full boat. I know Wesley was a walkon originally and Adams and White haven't signed. Any updates?

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Parker and Mohammed for sure, although the odds are long on either of them but, you never know. I think he is really focusing on the class of 2013.

refugee 7 years ago

As much as the success this season is exciting I am stoked about the next few years. We could use another true 1 and a true Center. There are a lot 2-3-4 players with talent on the way.

BillSelf4Prez 7 years ago

Ok i just saw on some thread that apparently authorities traced the IP and it came back to Lawrence. I do not know if this is true, but if it that is sick if a KU fan tried to act like a misery fan and make even more hatred. But it was most likely a worthless meth head redneck misery fan.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

Yea, the shirts are apparently real. I've seen that thread though, I smell black and gold.

Nathan Scholl 7 years ago

So psyched to have Frankamp and Ellis on our team! They sound like such great young men and players. Great recruiting. Rock Chalk.

Lin Rahardja 7 years ago

We're so lucky to have both players! Great job in recruiting to all the coaches.

Alohahawk 7 years ago

A number of the gurus/experts at ESPN are picking this Iowa State game as the weekend upset. I can understand their thinking, since ISU played KU so tough at AFH.

Before the season started, ISU was the team I had the biggest questions about, what with all their highly ranked transfers. And, ISU has improved quite a bit from season's start.

However, I think the Jayhawks have improved even more. If KU hits a good percentage of their shots, and if they limit themselves to 15 or less shots from beyond the arc (ie. 3 pointers may be the key), KU should pull out the win.

It's getting to be crunch time in the conference. Of the top three teams, KU is 7 - 0, and Mizzery and Baylor are each 5 - 2.

Baylor still has to play @ Mizzery, so one will have at least 3 losses (I'd guess Baylor).

KU plays Mizzery twice, and if KU wins at least one (at AFH), then Mizzery has another loss, giving them at least 3 (4 if they lose to Baylor).

KU has to play @ Baylor. Any Baylor loss, (to KU, Mizzery or anyone) would be a major help, because they would then have 3 losses or more.

K State and Iowa State have 3 losses already, so they are somewhat out of the title picture, unless they pull a number of major upsets.

But KU must hold court at home (OU, OSU, Mizz, Tx. Tech & Texas), and win against the lower echelon, road teams (OSU & TAM). Then, they can still split their tough road matchups (Mizzery, Baylor, K State, and Iowa State) and stay atop the standings. A win at Iowa State would make it that much tougher for the other two contenders to catch up to KU. Even if KU lost the road games to the other three, KU would only have three losses.

Sounds like a lot, but this KU team has been tested early and often. Question is, do they have enough gas to finish the race? It's time KU's bench proved themselves worthy of some more court time, and give the starters some breathers.

RCJHGKU!!!!

Rock Chalk 7 years ago

@HighEliteMajor"If I saw "kids" at KU games doing anything like this, I'd organize a posse of more mature folks to kick their asses and take possession of the offending shirts. But this wouldn't happen here."

Perfect. That's what would need to happen. It's not immature by anyone's standards, except mangino's. I think it's great. We need more people like this in America today. Glad you are a KU fan.

Also, excited to read Perry's coach's comments. Proud he's a Jayhawk!

BillSelf4Prez 7 years ago

anyone have a link to the original NMT posting?

Steve Brown 7 years ago

Will this be the year M finally sees the final four? It would be good that the only year MU makes it they have to share the pot with the Big 12.

I would be pleased if in March they win 3 games then run into a hot Davidson team.

ScrewMU. NMT NoMissouTitles.

Where is Derrick Chevious when we need him.

MU glory days, Stippo and Sunvold decades ago.

Alohahawk 7 years ago

Just read Dana O'Neill's article "In the Know" on the ESPN.com NCAA BB page. She admits most didn't expect the Big 12 would be as good (at the top) as it is, so far, with a couple of projected 1 seeds and a 2 seed by some of her compatriots.

But I had to laugh, because Ms. O'Neill made some cutting remarks about Duke's "Cameron Crazies". Seems they aren't as crazy about showing up early for games as before, and that they complain that the weather is too cold to have to wait. They used to boast of 1200 "crazies", but they're drawing only about 650 this year. That the only real drawing card is the N. Carolina game. Now that's hilarious!!! They'll probably play that card as an excuse for losing to Florida State at home.