Friday, January 27, 2012

Cleveland prep CBs visiting KU

The final recruiting weekend for the Class of 2012 begins today, and Kansas University’s football program is scheduled to welcome a couple of potential impact players to town.

Cleveland cornerbacks V’Angelo Bentley and Sean Draper, both of Glenville Academic Campus, have decided to make their final visits to KU, thanks in large part to the efforts of KU quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus, who handles the Ohio area.

Draper is the 53rd-ranked cornerback in the nation according to Rivals.com, and Bentley is ranked 63rd. Both players carry three-star ratings and could significantly upgrade a fairly thin position for KU.

“These are quality players who have been looked at by a lot of BSC schools,” recruiting analyst Jon Kirby said. “And they have options. The fact that they’re coming to visit is a great sign that KU has done a great job getting on these types of players in such a short amount of time.”

In addition to Kansas, Bentley, 5-foot-10, 178 pounds, has offers from Air Force, Akron, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Kent State, Ohio, Pitt and Toledo.

Draper, 6-foot, 165, has offers from many of the same schools, including Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kent State, Louisville, Ohio, Pitt and Toledo.

With the numbers available to add both players, the late pick-ups would be a huge development for a secondary that lacks quality depth at the cornerback position. Of KU’s returning corners, only Greg Brown and Tyler Patmon have starting experience, and adding depth and talent clearly has become a priority for coach Charlie Weis. That shouldn’t be a surprise. Last season, KU finished 110th nationally (out of 120) in pass defense.

“These guys have the potential to come in and challenge right away,” Kirby said of Bentley and Draper.

Another player who can be tossed into that group is Houston cornerback Greg Allen, who orally committed to KU earlier this week after switching his pledge from Utah.

Berglund hearing today

What could go down as the final chapter in the long and highly publicized relationship between KU and quarterback Brock Berglund is scheduled for 8 a.m. today.

That’s when a hearing between Berglund and his representatives and KU’s Student-Athlete Appeals Board is slated to take place.

Berglund, the three-star Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback who missed all of the 2011 season because of legal trouble in Colorado, was dismissed from the team by Weis after missing a mandatory team meeting on Jan. 15. Despite removing him from the team, KU has yet to release Berglund from his scholarship, a move that has stalled his ability to play at another school. Berglund has stated publicly that he simply wants to be released and allowed to explore his options at other institutions.

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger spoke earlier this week about the reasons behind the delay and pointed to the new KU football mantra that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Sources have told the Journal-World they expect KU to grant Berglund’s request for a release.

Comments

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

This is good to hear. Anything about Andrus Peat on the radar?

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

We're on his list and it looks like Weis has made an offer. Don't know if a Super Bowl ring visit can be squeezed in before February 1st. Amazing 5 star tackle with serious skills.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

I know we're on his list, and I've seen the videos on him.

How about the prospects of landing this kid?

Tony Bushard 2 years, 10 months ago

I live in Lincoln and the press up here seems to think he's a lock to go to the Huskers since his brother plays DT for them. That said, it would be great to steal him from the likes of NU, USC, FSU, and Stanford, the other prominent schools that appear to be his finalists.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

You may already know this, but in case you don't:

Rivals has his interest in us listed as low. His top 4 schools, according to Rivals, are Florida State, Nebraska, Stanford, and USC.

My guess is the odds of us landing him are quite slim. Aside from us and the 4 schools listed above, he also has offers from 21 other BCS schools.

But, ya never know...

ohjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Exciting news! Glenville is known throughout Ohio for pumping out all kinds of Div I talent. It is the high school that produced Ted Ginn, Donte Whitmer and Troy Smith, among others.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 10 months ago

I like that we can make the final impression and that they are coming together. Sounds promising. Rock Chalk!

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

And it probably is too good sounding to actually come to pass. I do find it encouraging that even outstanding prospects don't just smile and look away when the conversation turns to KU.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 10 months ago

two CBs on the roster with starting experience....how sad. d-tackle, LB and CB....it just hasn't been recruited the last few years....unbelievable how woeful our football program became.

It would be great if HCCW could land these kids.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 10 months ago

Can't really blame Gill for the LB issues, he inherited those from Mangino.

justanotherfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Also have to remember that Weis is losing (dismissed) Saunders from the team and lost Daniel Gray's commit (both CBs). Also lost the LB from DC that had committed and may lose others to decommit or transfer. And we were already thin in both areas when Gill was hired. Remember Gills first year when we had four healthy LBs for almost the entire season? That's on Mangino.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, at the positions you mention, there are a number of players recruited the past two years, some redshirts, still on the roster. There are more than a few with good potential. Where we are lacking is upperclassmen from the last couple of Mangino years – either losing transfers or never getting them at all. Two wholesale turnovers in coaching staffs so close together will do that to any team.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 10 months ago

There are now quite a few LB's, but we did lose quite a few DB's to dismissals this month. Fortunately, DL appears to be nicely addressed.

yates33333 2 years, 10 months ago

I would think with the heavy timber Weiss has coaching with him at KU the university might start landing 3, 4, and 5 A recruits. Recruits pay attention to the experiences of those who will coach them. KU has a big time lineup at last. mvjayhawk, your right about the woeful state of the football program, but it seemingly has taken a major 180 degree turn.

Image KU having a first rate football program! Unbelievable.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 10 months ago

At first I myself questioned the hiring of Weis but after all that he has done so far with the other Coaches he has brought on board I'm now getting excited to get football started. A lot of Super Bowl Rings with the Coaching Staff and the High School & Jr College kids will notice that and come to a part of KU football program. EXCELLENT !!!

2 years, 10 months ago

Good article. Thanks for the link, JayHok. My favorite line from it:

“Suggested new marketing slogan: Wake up the Crimson and Blue echoes.”

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm excited about how many areas we are recruiting more than anything else. I hear about Texas, I hear about Ohio, I hear about keeping the local kids, I hear about Florida, etc. I know that some of these we won't land, but I'm excited that we are going after the prospects throughout the land, just not in Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm getting excited about next year as well, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm a little, I realize that things were rough when Turner Gill took over, and I think they might be a little rougher now when Weis has taken over.

Plus we are having such a fantastic basketball season (like always), I don't want to hit the fast forward button quite yet.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, clearly they are recruiting nationwide. They've had some guys out here in California that are giving a look as well. Aside from the obvious (Crist), one specifically that we're waiting on is Carlos Lozano, the 6'8" 360 lb JuCo OL that would be a great addition. He's taking his last visit to Florida Int. this weekend, but I think we have a decent shot. Seems to be between us, KSU, Utah and Washington St, possibly UCLA as well.

shelleysue 2 years, 10 months ago

I love reading about football every day! I hope these two decide to come here together and help build something really special. Rock Chalk!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 10 months ago

6 feet, 165 pounds? When I saw that I felt fat!!! That dude has some room to grow!!!

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Happens to a lot of guys – my first year after high school I grew two inches and 25 lbs, gained both speed and strength and regretted I hadn't gone to a D2 program where I could walk on. Of course, starting at 5'9, 135# did leave "some room to grow", even though I had made the all-area team.

danmoore 2 years, 10 months ago

My junior year of high school I set out on a tour of colleges that I was interested in attending. KU, K-State, WSU, Emporia and Washburn. My intention was to visit one each weekend and decide where to submit my application. First on the list was Lawrence. It was love at first sight and I didn't bother visiting the others. If you can just get them to visit Lawrence, you have a chance to sign them.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

Almost noon and no update on B.B., maybe he won't be released by the end of the week.

april28 2 years, 10 months ago

He went public again last night on the radio in KC. Nick Wright - the host - maybe the dumbest man in America - next to Brock Berglund.

No idea on earth what Berglund thinks he's going to get out of trying to humble the university publicly. It just makes him look foolish and pushes everyone into a corner. So....he's achieved nothing, hurt his reputation with other schools and cost his family even more legal fees.

Not a coincidence that his initials BB sound an awful lot like baby.

danmoore 2 years, 10 months ago

... "hearing between Berglund and his representatives" which I'm guessing means he brought a lawyer which can only impede the process. If he's lawyered up it means he's playing hardball.

I can only speculate he's trying to win in the court of public opinion and may well succeed but as April stated, this will hurt his reputation with other schools. Zenger has infinitely more credibility than a 19 year old that was arrested for assault.

Brock was a promising recruit that most thought KU had scored a major coup when he signed. I’m disappointed how this has played out.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 10 months ago

Felt we needed more defensive players and glad to hear we have two good ones visiting. We need them bad. If we can get another LB or two that would be great, but sounds like Weis is kicking butt in recruiting.

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

It is so exciting to be dialed in every day for Football updates on this site and JHawkslant, the J. Kirby updates. Spring game should be a hoot and next fall, we awake with new attitude.