Friday, January 27, 2012

Cleveland prep CBs visiting KU

The final recruiting weekend for the Class of 2012 begins today, and Kansas University’s football program is scheduled to welcome a couple of potential impact players to town.

Cleveland cornerbacks V’Angelo Bentley and Sean Draper, both of Glenville Academic Campus, have decided to make their final visits to KU, thanks in large part to the efforts of KU quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus, who handles the Ohio area.

Draper is the 53rd-ranked cornerback in the nation according to Rivals.com, and Bentley is ranked 63rd. Both players carry three-star ratings and could significantly upgrade a fairly thin position for KU.

“These are quality players who have been looked at by a lot of BSC schools,” recruiting analyst Jon Kirby said. “And they have options. The fact that they’re coming to visit is a great sign that KU has done a great job getting on these types of players in such a short amount of time.”

In addition to Kansas, Bentley, 5-foot-10, 178 pounds, has offers from Air Force, Akron, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Kent State, Ohio, Pitt and Toledo.

Draper, 6-foot, 165, has offers from many of the same schools, including Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kent State, Louisville, Ohio, Pitt and Toledo.

With the numbers available to add both players, the late pick-ups would be a huge development for a secondary that lacks quality depth at the cornerback position. Of KU’s returning corners, only Greg Brown and Tyler Patmon have starting experience, and adding depth and talent clearly has become a priority for coach Charlie Weis. That shouldn’t be a surprise. Last season, KU finished 110th nationally (out of 120) in pass defense.

“These guys have the potential to come in and challenge right away,” Kirby said of Bentley and Draper.

Another player who can be tossed into that group is Houston cornerback Greg Allen, who orally committed to KU earlier this week after switching his pledge from Utah.

Berglund hearing today

What could go down as the final chapter in the long and highly publicized relationship between KU and quarterback Brock Berglund is scheduled for 8 a.m. today.

That’s when a hearing between Berglund and his representatives and KU’s Student-Athlete Appeals Board is slated to take place.

Berglund, the three-star Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback who missed all of the 2011 season because of legal trouble in Colorado, was dismissed from the team by Weis after missing a mandatory team meeting on Jan. 15. Despite removing him from the team, KU has yet to release Berglund from his scholarship, a move that has stalled his ability to play at another school. Berglund has stated publicly that he simply wants to be released and allowed to explore his options at other institutions.

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger spoke earlier this week about the reasons behind the delay and pointed to the new KU football mantra that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Sources have told the Journal-World they expect KU to grant Berglund’s request for a release.

Comments

Steve Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

It is so exciting to be dialed in every day for Football updates on this site and JHawkslant, the J. Kirby updates. Spring game should be a hoot and next fall, we awake with new attitude.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 2 months ago

Felt we needed more defensive players and glad to hear we have two good ones visiting. We need them bad. If we can get another LB or two that would be great, but sounds like Weis is kicking butt in recruiting.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

Almost noon and no update on B.B., maybe he won't be released by the end of the week.

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

My junior year of high school I set out on a tour of colleges that I was interested in attending. KU, K-State, WSU, Emporia and Washburn. My intention was to visit one each weekend and decide where to submit my application. First on the list was Lawrence. It was love at first sight and I didn't bother visiting the others. If you can just get them to visit Lawrence, you have a chance to sign them.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 2 months ago

6 feet, 165 pounds? When I saw that I felt fat!!! That dude has some room to grow!!!

shelleysue 2 years, 2 months ago

I love reading about football every day! I hope these two decide to come here together and help build something really special. Rock Chalk!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm excited about how many areas we are recruiting more than anything else. I hear about Texas, I hear about Ohio, I hear about keeping the local kids, I hear about Florida, etc. I know that some of these we won't land, but I'm excited that we are going after the prospects throughout the land, just not in Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm getting excited about next year as well, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm a little, I realize that things were rough when Turner Gill took over, and I think they might be a little rougher now when Weis has taken over.

Plus we are having such a fantastic basketball season (like always), I don't want to hit the fast forward button quite yet.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 2 months ago

At first I myself questioned the hiring of Weis but after all that he has done so far with the other Coaches he has brought on board I'm now getting excited to get football started. A lot of Super Bowl Rings with the Coaching Staff and the High School & Jr College kids will notice that and come to a part of KU football program. EXCELLENT !!!

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

I would think with the heavy timber Weiss has coaching with him at KU the university might start landing 3, 4, and 5 A recruits. Recruits pay attention to the experiences of those who will coach them. KU has a big time lineup at last. mvjayhawk, your right about the woeful state of the football program, but it seemingly has taken a major 180 degree turn.

Image KU having a first rate football program! Unbelievable.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 2 months ago

two CBs on the roster with starting experience....how sad. d-tackle, LB and CB....it just hasn't been recruited the last few years....unbelievable how woeful our football program became.

It would be great if HCCW could land these kids.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

I like that we can make the final impression and that they are coming together. Sounds promising. Rock Chalk!

ohjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Exciting news! Glenville is known throughout Ohio for pumping out all kinds of Div I talent. It is the high school that produced Ted Ginn, Donte Whitmer and Troy Smith, among others.

jayhawkintx1973 2 years, 2 months ago

This is good to hear. Anything about Andrus Peat on the radar?