Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weis looks to shore up QB reserves

With quarterbacks Brock Berglund and Jordan Webb off of the roster, and BYU transfer Jake Heaps forced to sit out the 2012 season because of NCAA transfer rules, Kansas University coach Charlie Weis has a pretty big hole to fill at quarterback, despite having landed projected starter Dayne Crist from Notre Dame.

Although the current KU roster includes quarterbacks Michael Cummings and Blake Jablonski, neither has any game experience, and that appears to be reason enough for Weis to continue his search for a backup quarterback.

According to a report from JayhawkSlant.com, that search will include City College of San Francisco QB Turner Baty, who is scheduled to meet with Weis and KU recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello sometime today in San Francisco.

In helping lead CCSF to a junior college national championship last season, Baty, 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, tossed 42 touchdowns and ran for 300 yards and seven more TDs.

The self-proclaimed pro-style quarterback visited Michigan and drew interest from Oklahoma, but roadblocks both places prevented the mutual interest from going any further. With time running out on recruiting the Class of 2012, Baty is hoping for a chance at Kansas.

“I know (KU) put me on their recruiting board,” he told Jon Kirby, of JayhawkSlant.com. “They said they would take another quarterback commitment. We’ll see how it all holds up, and I hope to go out there on a visit.”

Tavai down to two?

Kansas appears to be one of the finalists for El Camino (Calif.) Community College defensive tackle Jordan Tavai, a 6-3, 280-pound junior college All-American, who recently visited KU and hit it off with new defensive coordinator Dave Campo.

It looks as if Texas Tech is the three-star tackle’s other finalist, and Tavai will visit the Red Raiders this weekend.

“My first thought (about KU) was I was just going on a visit,” he told Kirby. “But once I got there and started going through it, I realized I really like it. Now I will go see if I see Texas Tech the same way.”

Already loaded with three junior-college defensive linemen committed in the Class of 2012 (Chaq Reed, Butler County CC; Ty McKinney, Trinity Valley Texas CC, and Keon Stowers, Georgia Military College), the addition of Tavai would add even more depth, talent and experience where KU needs it most.

Dates to remember

Feb. 1 marks the beginning of the 2012 signing period, and that’s the day that most of the prospects who make up KU’s current recruiting class will make their non-binding oral commitments official.

While Weis recently said he expected this year’s class to be in the 20s, sources have said throughout the past several weeks that there could be a surprise or two in store on signing day. In the past, most, if not all, of KU’s commitments had been pretty well known heading into signing day. However, with a couple of targets still on the fence and Weis holding a few spots for future transfers, anything is possible one week from today.

As of Tuesday night, KU had 15 commitments in its current class. Six were junior-college players, six were high school seniors and three were mid-year transfers, who already are on campus.

While most commitments choose to sign on the opening day of the signing period, they are not required to do so. Recruits in the Class of 2012 have until April 1 to sign their letters of intent.

Once signing day passes, a couple of other key dates to remember are: March 27, the opening day of spring football, and April 28, the day of the annual spring game.

KU also is expected to host a pro timing day for graduating seniors preparing for the NFL Draft sometime in early to mid-March.

Comments

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Campo is apparently in contact with Nas Moore out of East LA Community College according to Slant. 8 interceptions last year. It's between KU, BYU and SDSU.

ND69 2 years, 2 months ago

Not to be arrogant because I know this is all in fun , but there is something serious going on here . Dayne Crist was treated horribly by Brian Kelly and one of the reasons was that Kelly is a fraud . He said Dayne " couldn't run " and " wasn't mobile enough " for his offense . Think Brandon Weedon on steriods . Dayne is a much better athlete than Brandon . Kelly was the problem . There was a reason Kyle Rudolph left early and he was Dayne's best friend .

Now I don't want to offend anyone at KU but I call your attention to the movie Secretariat wherein the hot walker went out on the rail on the morning of the derby and announced " Kentucky - you are about to see something you ain't never seen " ( check out what hapened )--- well KU -- you are about to see something you ain't never seen so sit back and enjoy the next year . Get behind Dayne and ride that rocket arm as far as it can take you and be glad you got to be there . This guy is the real deal I promise you and Charlie knows what he has . Find a couple of receivers and a left tackle and trust me -- Landry Jones is the second best QB in the Big 12 as of the day Dayne stepped on campus .

marsbars 2 years, 2 months ago

Baty has an interesting background. His father, Greg Baty, was a TE at Stanford and with the Miami Dolphins. He led his HS in New Canaan CT to 4 straight state titles. The article above states he also won the Junior College national championship. Sounds like a winner!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 2 months ago

Kale Pick can still throw the ball and makes a heck QB if we needed him.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Who knows if Crawley will sign with CU on Feb 1st. Right now it would be a decent bet, but not for certain. Looking at his twitter, there are several concerned CU fans asking ---- is it certain you're coming to CU? Or ----- you're securely signing with CU right? It's time to start preparing for a PAC 12 championship!----

Also in a pretty recent tweet he gives a shout out to the beautiful women on KU's campus.

Whether he signs with CU or not it is interesting to see how close it really was. Looks like we're bringing in solid players all around with or without him.

Also interesting that he keeps tweeting about a sponsor. I probably don't know what that means in this day and age, but perhaps if he signs with CU we can revisit what the term sponsor actually means. Until then, here's holding out hope he will change his avatar one more time to crimson and blue. Can't recall the last time we were even close to getting a 4 star CB. Weis and company are serious about recruiting, fundamentals and the weight room --- that's where this all starts and that's why April 28th will be a great day to be a Jayhawk fan!

RCJ

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like Weis will get another QB and I hope he gets more LB's and DB's and I would say this class is going to be pretty solid.

TXJAYHAWK7 2 years, 2 months ago

Im not sold on Crist being the starter if CW opens up the competition I think he may be surprised who emerges as the best qb. Difference in a "prostyle" qb and a dual threat is one can tuck and roll and one can tuck and hobble Height used to be a factor but guys like Drew Brees make that less important every season in the pros. I want to see a open competition and who knows we may have a 5 th year senior beign the back up

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

According to slant, Weis is also going after another Juco All American with some nice D1 schools on his list. Fehoko Fanaika.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 2 months ago

Michigan changed coaches and Landry Jones decided to stay at KU. Tavai would be a huge pick up. Player of the year in his conference where as C. Reed wasnt the best DT on his team at Butler

flyingfinn 2 years, 2 months ago

Does any one have any more information on Baty. "Roadblocks" at Michigan and Oklahoma throws up a red flag to me meaning academic problems, personal problems or both.

HawksRockOut 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully for Mr. Tavai there won't be the not-so-unusual west Texas dust storms in Lubbock during his visit. Nothing like picking sand from your teeth, nose, and eyes!

biggunz 2 years, 2 months ago

I'll knock on wood and I hate to say it but, Crist has been injured a lot in his career. He could come in here and be a stud or he could get knocked out for the year in the first game. Things seem to be going well for Kansas football right now....maybe too well. Hope I'm wrong but I've had that bad feeling. So, it would be much better not to have to go with a QB with no experience or even Pick for the majority of the year. Even though he's no sure thing, I would feel better getting Baty on board.

Kansashawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Interesting article about Baty and all that controversy. Unfortunately, you could probably say that about a good number of high school kids today.

JHawk74 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully Michael Cummings and/or Blake Jablonski will be allowed to get some early season playing time in case we would lose QB1 and QB2 during the season to injury. Or would Kale Pick have to move back to QB? Kale at least has game experience at the position. It would seem Kale could be used in an emergency if needed. It would seem there would be 1 or 2 Juco QB available to recruit other than Baty, if Baty doesn't sign.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

What are the "roadblocks" preventing Beaty from Michigan and OU...academic?

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 2 months ago

We need to get some help at Defensive Back as well... I cannot wait for some of these "singing day surprises" as Charlie puts it. Go KU!!! Get the DB situation figured out and we will be set!! Never been so excited for KU Football, I look at the football part of this sire more than I do basketball for the first time ever. Thank you coach Weis! Can't wait to field a competitve football team and not shut the tv off after 30 mins for the first time since our one fluke (Orange Bowl year).

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 2 months ago

Lubbock, TX or Lawrence, KS????.... Is that even a question?

I went to Lubbock to visit a friend and that town is like Manhattan, KS...

No guy on their main street/ bar area (like our very own Mass St.) holding up a sign that says legalize it, no law saying you can carry up to an O and have it count as a ticket as our mauor didnt want a "lil experimentation in college to ruin a students life"...I haven't smoked for years but, that just gives you an idea of the real culture of Lawrence, a great town where you will be treated like a king, and close enough to Kansas City, (unlike kstate in Manhattan KS) where you can't go to a bar without seeing cowboy hats( and I don't mean Dallas Cowboy hats)...

KU is the best college town (growing up in Chicago and seeing the Sears tower everyday out my window) and now living in California, I cannot express to recruits how great college is in Lawrence. People who hadn't been to Kansas asked me why I would leave Chicago to go to school in Kansas, and after hearing a fellow Chitowner say, It's not "Kansas", its Lawrence I began using that same quote myself. To this day I thank god that I didn't go to school at iniversoty of illinois in Chicago (UIC) and still have a friend who regrets not transferring to Kansas (he left Southern Illinois- a party school in its own right that had the national guard out on Halloween every year until recently) after he visited KU and to this day he says he wishes he had finished at KU instead of UIC...

Come to Lawrence, you will never regret it.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Our 2 biggest immediate needs...

***QB- Check! Crist-YEA! Heaps-YEA! (He is the best 12 year old QB I have ever seen!)

***DLine- Not bad! Seems to be in a better state than people are giving it credit. College players usually get better every year.

Tackle-
Williams- Lets see what he can do as a senior. They guy has the strength to be effective. Young- Maybe year 2 as a DT will be better? McKinny... JUCO guy with size and hopefully some talent. JUCO guys are wild cards. Reed... JUCO guy with size and hopefully some talent. JUCO guys are wild cards. Stowers... JUCO guy with size and hopefully some talent. JUCO guys are wild cards.

Ends- Opurum... Decent pass rusher... Improving overall. Agostinho... Should solid against the run. Lewandowski... Should be solid against the run. Goodman, Reynolds, Daniel... Lets see how they are with a year under their belts. Hopefully there is a good pass rusher between the 3.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I would love to see Baty here but why is Michael Cummings continually counted out?

Star rankings don't mean everything, but they are not a bad indicator either. Cummings had the same star ranking as Webb, Pick, and Berglund. He is kind of an unknown because he was a red shirt last year. Lets not forget that Webb was a spread guy and Berglund was only popular for making headlines for his off the field behavior. No reason to believe Berglund and Cummings were not equal QBs. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a decent back up option emerge between Cummings, Jablonski, or Pick if they have him pull double duty like Meier did.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

If Baty comes, the one spot we really need to recruit is DB's. We've lost a bunch between the early exits and decommits, and it wasn't the biggest strength to begin with. It should help to get some hosses up front, and at this rate we may even have depth.

79ictjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

With Crist having had 2 previous knee injuries, I questioned the wisdom of kicking Webb to the curb. While Webb is no longer the style QB we need, he was the best we had for the last 2 years. Hopefully, Weis can sign Baty & we'll have a quality reserve who is a pro-style QB.