Kansas defeats Texas A&M, 64-54

• 8 p.m., Jan. 23, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Roger, Dodger: Tommy Lasorda tells Bill Self to ‘enjoy the wins’ following KU’s 64-54 victory over Texas A&M

Kansas players Tyshawn Taylor (10) and Travis Releford (24) react after Taylor was not called for a foul on an attempted steal during the second half on Monday, Jan. 23, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Texas A&M

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Texas A&M, 64-54, on Monday, Jan. 23, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU vs. Texas A&M

Box score

Baseball Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda visited with Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self in the Jayhawks’ locker room after KU’s somewhat-lethargic 64-54 victory over Texas A&M on Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He said, ‘Hey, you looked great.’ I said we didn’t look good at all,” Self said, eyes gleaming as he prepared to relate a classic tale involving the former Los Angeles Dodgers manager who trekked to Allen Fieldhouse (with KU alum Jamie Coulter and his niece, who is married to Coulter) for the first time.

“He said, ‘You don’t understand. Stats don’t matter.’ I said, ‘If your starting pitcher gives up five runs in six innings and you just hang on to win, you’re happy?’ He said, ‘I’m happy. I’m happy.’

“He said, ‘You’ve got to enjoy the wins.’ He’s right. We do. I just didn’t think tonight we were very good, but A&M had a lot to do with it, too,” Self added.

One stat that stood out helped KU survive a first-half performance in which the Jayhawks, in Self’s words, played, “soft, selfish and dumb.”

It was free-throw shooting — specifically, Thomas Robinson’s free-throw shooting. The 6-foot-10 junior went 10-for-10 from the line on a night the Jayhawks made 20 of 23 free throws to A&M’s seven of 11.

Self was asked if he ever thought Robinson, who had hit just 13 of 28 free throws (46.4 percent) the last six games, would have a perfect 10-of-10 night.

“Sure, I’m a positive thinker,” Self said, smiling. “I also didn’t expect him to miss some bunnies (inside shots). If I’d pick one of the two, I’d take the bunnies because they count for two (points) instead of one.

“I thought he had nice rhythm at the line tonight.”

Robinson, who has made 66.7 percent of his free throws on the season, said he didn’t do anything differently Monday.

“No, it’s the same,” he said of his form.

He finished with 18 points off 4-of-10 shooting after scoring just two points off 1-of-6 shooting the first half. KU, which led, 11-0 early, actually was down, 30-28, at the break.

“The defense was trying to not let me touch it, so I had to knock my free throws down,” Robinson said. His 10-of-10 outing was the most KU free-throw attempts without a miss since Wayne Simien went 11-for-11 against Colorado on Feb. 12, 2005.

Robinson scored five straight points to open an 11-3 run that stretched a narrow 44-42 lead (with 7:11 left) to 55-45 at 4:41. Elijah Johnson, who missed five threes the first half (he finished with four points off 1-for-7 shooting, 0-of-6 from three) finally hit a jumper, followed by a basket and two free throws by Jeff Withey.

Withey had a huge game with 10 points and eight blocks in 33 minutes. Foul-plagued Tyshawn Taylor scored 17 points with three steals, two assists and two turnovers in 28 minutes.

“That wasn’t a very good basketball team that played tonight,” Self said of his Jayhawks, who improved to 17-3 overall and 7-0 in the Big 12. A&M dropped to 11-8, 2-5. “We had mental lapses. It was our focus. I also thought we looked like a tired team.”

The Jayhawks, who hit 42.6 percent of their shots (four of 20 threes for 20 percent), were inefficient against an A&M team helped by the presence of assistant coach Kyle Keller, who had worked as video coordinator at KU the past three seasons.

“I think Kyle did a good job. I think Billy (Kennedy, A&M head coach) and his staff had them ready to play, defensively especially,” Self said. “We knew we weren’t going to hang 80 on A&M.”

The Jayhawks will travel to Iowa State on Saturday for a 1 p.m. tipoff in Hilton Coliseum.

Comments

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Playing @ Iowa State always worries me. We all know that KU is going to lose 1 conference game to somebody they shouldn't lose to. I'm hoping it will be @ Oklahoma State or in the conference tourney, because a recent loss increases KU's odds of going deeper into the NCAA tourney.

Losing at Iowa State will make us dominate Missou instead of just beating them, but I still think its too early for our conference loss.

Also, if we were to lose to a lesser team it would drop our seed in the big dance (thats' a good thing, less pressure).

jayhawker_97 2 years, 8 months ago

looking back the last 2 games made me even worried whether we can beat ISU. Royce will be a pain. I'd like TRob play his A+ game against him. Withey can help a lot at the D. TT will go high-octane on his scoring again, that'll be expectation of coach from onwards. we need others to step up in scoring (D has been superb, otherwise).

let's go Jayhawk!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 8 months ago

let's go Jayhawk!

dmc8142 2 years, 8 months ago

Playing at Iowa St worries everyone

cool_beans 2 years, 8 months ago

just an fyi it's the university of kansas not kansas university. so you should change that

westernkshawk 2 years, 8 months ago

If it must be the University of Kansas instead of Kansas University, then it must be UK instead of KU. Right?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

One of you guys, westernkshawk or cool_beans, has had their username since 2004. This subject, the name Kansas Univ. vs. U of Kansas, comes up at least four times a year. Maybe when usernames are issued/accepted by the LJW, there should be a statement made and agreed to that the use of Kansas University will be the name of choice and the new user will not comment on the matter. Writers do make some mistakes, but their journalistic choice was made years ago and they're comitted to it. Respect their authoriti!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Plus, Jesse and Tait have already stated on a few occasions that the decision to use Kansas University comes from the higher ups, and the writers have no choice in the matter.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

I actually told him that so can I have part of this million dollars?

JD Roth 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey cool_beans, disappear!!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

The Lawrence Journal World is well aware of the name of the university. It is a policy relating to the national media from what I understand. The complaints are targeted at the wrong people.

stm62 2 years, 8 months ago

More than once I've seen a Big 12 opponent come in to Allen and play us tough only to be beaten handily at there place. The Hawks will be ready for the Cyclones.

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 8 months ago

Lasorda was one of my idols growing up. How cool is it for him to be at AFH?

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Another blue ribbon for Nick Krug!

addlime 2 years, 8 months ago

I know these guys are beating a dead horse. Seems pointless at this point. But they are right..

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Mangiloid is not from Tulane.

He's from Sophie Newcomb.

:-)

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Mangiloid is not from Tulane.

He's from Sophie Newcomb.

:-)

Phoghorn 2 years, 7 months ago

Manginololz is from The University of Tulane.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Let me help you, Below Private mangiloid.

Humanoid-having human form. mangiloid-having manginorhoolz form

Private-lowest rank in the US Marine Corp.

Below Private-a fictional rank beneath the lowest rank in the US Marine Corp.

Your virtual board rat Sergeant jaybate is trying to learn about your posting technique, Below Private Mangiloid. He is not accusing the Below Private of anything bad, okay?

If your Sergeant understands you correctly, you, Below Private, connect the alias with a bad word, something with negative connotations, and then you write "Why aren't you banned?"

Your Sergeant is not quite sure if he understand the Below Private's technique. So: your Sergeant will give you some completely false examples involving your alias, as a means of trying to learn more about what the Below Private is trying to do, okay?

Tell me if I've got this right, Below Private.

Wow, manginorh00lz and racism in one post. Why aren't you banned?

Wow, manginorh00lz and sexism in one post. Why aren't you banned?

Wow. manginorh00lz and pedophilia in one post. Why aren't you banned?

Wow, manginorh00lz and beastiality. Why aren't you banned?

Wow. mangionrh00lz and satanism. Why aren't you banned.

Now I am explicitly not accusing you, Below Private mangiloid, or your alias, manginorh00lz, or anyone or anything related to you, of any of the above things.

Do you understand, Below Private mangiloid? If you don't, give your Sergeant jaybate ten push-ups right now!

I am just trying to learn about your posting technique.

Below Private mangiloid, repeat after me: "Robert Lucas...Rational Expectations Theory... Humanoids learn, so mangiloids can too."

Your Sergeant jaybate is grateful to Below Private mangiloid, for helping your Sergeant to learn something about the Below Private's technique.

Dismissed.

(Note: it is useful to study posting technique sometimes. Again, yours truly accuses manginorhoolz of nothing at all and means to suggest nothing at all about him. Why I don't even want him banned from posting. I just felt his rhetorical technique interesting and thought I would analyze it in the exaggerated way that I did, so that no one would logically mistake it for an allegation, or criticism of him of any kind.)

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 8 months ago

Not a big deal but I agree. If you're a reporter that's covered the University for years, you've gotta' get the name right. Otherwise you're as annoying as Vern Lundquist or Pat Summerall. Or just stupidly stubborn.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

please oh please let this subject go...

it is not the reporters option, it is the rule at LJW.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

I have a proper name, but for 70 years, I've answered to what people called me, whether it was John, Josh, Jake, runt, Mr., coach, ref, or hey Teach ...

Timmay97 2 years, 8 months ago

Why doesn't Elijah drive more (ala Tyshawn)? The kid is so athletically gifted, but extraordinarily timid. Part of me wonders if he's just scared to make mistakes knowing he would be pulled from the game.

If your shot isn't going down.....TAKE IT TO THE HOLE!!!

My opinion.....KU needs a great Elijah Johnson if they are expected to go ANYWHERE in the NCAA tourney. We are not deep at guard and he needs to step up. It's OK to have an off night with the shot, but you must help the team in other areas as well. Elijah is a good defender.....so that's a bonus.

Jeff Withey is getting better each and every game. Part of me wishes he would make more moves in the post. Go up strong and get fouled. He shoots over 80% from the line. His defensive prescence is unmatched. Love it! As my father always told me growing up "you can't teach height!!?"

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Well that theory would be sound, that he is afraid of making mistakes for fear of being pulled from the game, if we weren't so thin on the bench. These guys have been given the freedom to play through their mistakes for the most part, and we're deep enough into the season that they know this by now (the starters anyway, Tharpe will still get pulled at the first mistake). Also, if that were the case he would have stopped chucking up 3s altogether.

I do agree that he needs to drive more. Even with EJ's athletic gifts he's not Tyshawn, but we could see him driving with the same effectiveness as Travis has displayed lately.

addlime 2 years, 8 months ago

He could be a fine basketball player, and driving just not necessarily be a strong point of his game. I think he considers himself more of a pure shooter, but obviously last night that wasn't falling.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Well based on his season totals (not just last night), long range shooting isn't one of his strong points either. He score though when he drove the ball and pulled up for a mid-range jumper.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

TT got these kinds of comments when he was playing glue two two seasons back. Self tasks players. EJ could exactly what you ask right now, but the team needs a long gun at the 2, not another driver like TT.

Next season, Self will task EJ with driving and someone else will have to be the long gun keeping the lane clear EJ and the bigs.

EJs just in a slump same as Brady last season. Shortly he will make it rain, and it will open things up for TT and the bigs.

Then everyone will stop gripping. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh no! You've brought up BM! Here we go again!

Anybody who was on the fence about Brady needs to study the updates on his productivity on the league he's in now. He could be called up if the right scenario took place with injuries, etc. to the League.

I agree 100% about opening the lanes for EJ. That's his groove! HCBS needs to make that happen sooner rather than later in order to capitalize on his value, not waiting until next year.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

i'm not very concerned about ej's slump, though he needs to realize he should stop jacking them up before he gets to 0-6. there was one possession that drove me insane, he shoots a 3 right away, misses it off the left rim, we get the rebound and the ball goes right back to him and he immediately shoots the same shot with the exact same result. however, this earned him an immediate spot on the bench as it should.

i'm more concerned about 3han, or as someone was saying last night, can'thita3han. I just don't know what to make of it, because the rest of his game is pretty subpar and he doesn't provide much value out there if he can't hit. even when he can, he is very slow to get off his shot and almost always gives the defense time to close in. he also is not very good off the dribble, doesn't play D anywhere near as good as rele, and doesn't have as much hustle to the loose balls as rele.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

chuck,

EJ from trey: .288

3han from trey: .364.

Both are slumping, but Conner's on fire compared to EJ.

Conner's actually at a tolerable low end of the range for a long gun.

EJ is in real trouble. Teams are giving him wide open shots just begging him to shoot.

They are still guarding Conner pretty tight, so what ever he is shooting, he's still stretching the defenses, where as every time EJ gets a touch the sag waaaaaaay off and laugh in his face. This is very, very hard on young shooter like EJ tasked with being the long gun.

If it goes on much longer, Self may have to do more of what he's already been doing a little. When ever he doesn't need Tyshawn to get some rim, he lets EJ take over the one and let's Tyshawn do the shooting.

About Conner's floor game, I go back and forth about how good, or bad it is. Tyshawn and EJ and Travis have become stunning defenders. They make anyone look sort of shabby by comparison. But if I quit comparing them to the standard of defense played by these three supermen, Conner is mostly getting it done. He isn't stellar at all, but things don't go in the toilet like they do each time Naadir steps on the floor.

Young is the guy I keep hoping might help Conner back up the three, just as he's helping Justin at the 4, but every time he starts to come on he suddenly suffers neural-outage and blow bys. Plus, the other problem with KY is he's only at .375 from trey, so while he's a percentage point ahead of Conner shooting, you're net behind with him because of the blow bys and mistakes. I suspect if Self had Jamari to split time with Justin, then Self would work KY into more of a split backup role with Conner. But my hunch is that Self figures that with KY already struggling at one position, trying to get him to swing 3/4 would really set him back.

What we all need to do is be thrilled by what they are accomplishing by being a defensive team, that finds ways to get baskets, and trust that they are getting better all the time, even though they have off games just like all teams.

Likely, Tyshawn is about to start missing more outside, EJ and Conner will catch fire, and we will continue to get Ws that buy us the time we need to get better and still stay in the hunt for a good tourney seed.

It is still quite possible that we could go in the tank for awhile and lose 3 of 6, or so, unless Ty and Thomas just will us through the shooting struggles and the late January, early February depressions most young teams settle into.

And despite their advanced chronological ages, this is still a young team in terms of experience.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Too bad – when the lose their grip, what will become of their gripe? – who but the gripers can take credit when everyone rounds into shape in March? I think Bill Self would be just mediocre without these boards to tell how he should be coaching.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with that. Ej had some big games earlier in the year and if we can use him as a 3rd scoring option it will be huge... Also agree that he does seem to be slumping much like Brady last year. We really need him to start hitting again/ make it rain on themv(in) batches.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry jaybate, but EJ is nowhere near the shooter that Brady or Reed were and his . Here's a game log for EJ this year, http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1715251/elijah-johnson

Notice how EJ has only been at 40% or better in 3 games this year (UCLA, Duke, OSU). That is not a slump, that is bad shooting which is what EJ is, a bad shooter. His horrible 3 point shooting was a very large contributer in the Davidson loss (3-10) and kept the A&M game closer than it should've been (0-6). As a 32.2% career 3 point shooter, EJ has proven that he is a terrible 3 point shooter throughout his career and that he will end this "slump" any time soon because it's not a slump, it's a bad shooter continuously taking bad shots and not making them.

I thought I'd throw this out there too for the Brady debate. Last year, Brady shot 41% from three to Reed's 37% and was also a better 3 point shooter for his career than Reed was (41% to 40%). Just thought I'd throw their 3 point stats out there as well.

yates33333 2 years, 8 months ago

Ever consider that maybe Elijah isn't as good a basketball player as we all thought? I know Taylor and Withey are much better than many seemed to think according to their posts during the last two years. Robinson is about the only player we all expected he would be. Releford is a player I can't figure out. He plays like an all-american at times and disappears at others. I know he is a super defensive player as judged by the scoring of men he guards. What we really need is the all-american all the time. Someone said we need Johnson to play better. Of course, we hope they all play better. But Releford can make the big difference if he keeps consistently outstanding. I know it's hard to do, but do it Travis.

JHawk74 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree on Elijah. I think he is a solid player but he is not the great player we hope that he could be. Withey continues to improve as the season progresses. Last night might have been his best defensively game of the season. It will be interesting next year who starts and comes off the bench next year with the freshman coming in and including Ben McLemore.I could see Elijah as the sixth man next year if we would happen to get Shabazz.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Its possible, just as it was possible that TT wasn't either.

But Self has a good record on who can finally cut it.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Releford is at his best when he is taking the easiest shots and not necessarily creating shots for himself. He is great at hustle plays and moving off the screen but his ball handling seems a little out of control when he is trying to drive into a crowded lane. One reason we have been playing so well is Releford hasn't produced as many turnovers as he did at the beginning of the year and he is making smarter passes for other players to score.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe he is the only five star currently playing on the squad, not that it means much being a high school ranking... but I keep waiting for him to start playing like one... Maybe he's TT 2.0.

BalKUrog 2 years, 7 months ago

My take is EJ defers to TT and plays to not make mistakes and to contribute overall to the team's offense flow. He has spurts where he plays more aggressively and it seems the last few games he has been more decisive handling the ball. I believe he has the capability to be an aggressive, attacking player but has not seen that as his role- or is not yet comfortable in TTs shadow to go for it yet. Love to see him use all his athleticism just wish it was more frequently.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree 100% - he's very cognizant of what he takes his role to be (for the time being). He's extremely gifted, and we will see it in time.

AsadZ 2 years, 8 months ago

Withey was great again, most improved player in the country

What worries me as Shaw had pointed out earlier is the number of 3 point attempts we took last night. For this team 10-12 3 point attempts is a good number. Beyond that it takes us out of offensive rhythm.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure I would give that to TRob. he went from a bench player last year, to a Player of the Year Candidate.

keith horinek 2 years, 8 months ago

This team has developed a way to win games. You never know who is going to step up to pull the game out. Most of the time it has been TRob but lately there have been others. TT,Releford, Withey come to mind. That is what makes a great team, balance. The oponents can double or triple on TRob and that leaves someone else open. when they recognize when this is happening, we are good. Last night we weren't being patient with the ball. When TRob was being double teamed he needs to pass out to the open man. They figure it out in the second half, credit to HCBS.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

these saturday monday turnarounds are going to bite us in the butt one of these days.

skwahjayog 2 years, 8 months ago

Possibly, but that's also pretty much the format for the tournament. The more experience we get playing two games in three days, the better!

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

yes, but the tourney doesn't involve travel like we just did from texas to lawrence in their two day turnaround.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

So what's wrong with being prepared for tougher situations than we're apt to face?

A team needs to be reminded to bring it all every game. It is just too natural a thing to bring a little less once in a while. If you get away with it too often, it becomes a bad, bad habit.

The only losses we have shed tears over (but one) were the second or fourth round games on two-day turnarounds. It's the type thing you handle better if you've been there before.

rockchalk80 2 years, 8 months ago

a few comments...

• I reviewed the play of Withey (earlier in the season) ---his early stat lines do not necessarily reflect his play... he looked a little awkward and at times was out of position. I was disappointed, because I thought he really hadn't had any playing time to exhibit the benefits of D Manning's 2 years of tutelage. Maybe his previous injuries held him back?

I am amazed at the progression Withey has shown in just a few months... I hope these comments don't sound condescending --they aren't meant to be....but if Withey would step up a little on the offensive end, Trob + Withey combo would seem unstoppable.

It would mean fewer double/triple teams on Trob. Especially if Trob would learn to pass to Withey when doubled.

yates33333 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course, you're right. I think Withey's biggest problem is that he is too slow to take it to the basket once he has the ball and is in shooting mode. Maybe his grip is uncertain. For this he can develop stronger hands. Maybe he doesn't react fast enough. I am not sure that can be corrected. But All in All, He is playing super basketball. I think his progress this year, since the first of the season, is the best job Self and Manning have done with any player. If he continues to improve at this rate he will be an all-american next year and might be an excellent pro. I think what has happened is amazing.

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 8 months ago

I've got some random questions that I hope y'all can help me with:

1. Does a blocked shot count as a missed field goal? I'm not sure if all the blocked shots last night counted against A&M's fg percentage, since technically a shot has to hit the rim to be considered a shot.

2. In order to get credit for an assist, does it have to be a pass that leads directly to a made field goal? Or does the official scorer have some discression in handing out assists? What I mean specifically is: player A makes a great pass to player B, who goes in for an easy bucket, but player B is fouled as that is the defender's only chance of denying the bucket. If player B his his free throws, can player A get credit for the assist, since his great pass ultimately led to 2 points?

3. How can you be called for charging when you don't have the ball? And for that matter, how can you be called for charging when the defender still has one foot in the air? I've seen both of these called multiple times this year. It's gotten to the point where I have no idea anymore what charging is.

Thanks friends. Rock chalk.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

1. Yes, a blocked shot counts as a missed field goal. By definition, it is a "shot" as the defender gets credit for the blocked "shot." If it is not deemed a shot, then it is a turnover and possibly a steal if possession changes.
  2. Yes, a pass has to lead directly to a made field goal. But no, player A does not get credit for an assist if Player B only make free throws. And yes, it is a bit of judgment for the scorer. The recipient of the pass can dribble, etc., yet an assist can still be given.
  3. Charging does not require that you have the ball. For example, running over a screener at mid-court. Typically you have to be in a proper guarding position with both feet on the floor. We've seen many instances were both feet may not be down, but the offensive player directs contact against a defender that has established position.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 8 months ago

Highelite. Looks like we disagree on the shot question. I'm not sure I'm correct, but I seem to remember seeing something on this a few years ago but can't remember where or exactly what. If you are sure in your answer, I will defer to you. Still, I was thinking it did not count as a missed field goal as the shot was not actually missed.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

If the ball doesn't go into the hoop it is a miss unless the shooter was fouled on the shot. You can only dribble once after a pass for an assist to be given. I had to keep track of assists in HS tougher than you would think live.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 8 months ago

1. No. A blocked shot does not count as a missed shot. However, a shot does not have to hit the rim to be considered a shot.
  2. My understanding of an assist is exactly what you just said: it has to lead directly to a made field goal. You can not get an assist for free throws to my knowledge. It used to be that the scoring player had to receive the ball and score without dribbling for the passing player to get an assist. Now, I think the scoring player can take a dribble or two if it is a continuous move to the basket, but I am not sure on the exact wording of the rule.
  3. To get a charge, the defensive player can still be moving, but he has to have established his position. If the defender is sliding in a defensive position parallel with the offensive player who then leans his shoulder into the defensive player pushing him backward, that can still be a charge. When an offensive player runs over a defensive player, even if he doesn't have the ball, that is still a charge. You could probably call it a pushing foul, but I think it is still considered a charge if the offensive player has just passed or shot the ball. Feel free to correct me if anyone notices I am wrong.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

A blocked shot does go down as a Field Goal Attempted, The only time a missed shot does not count as a FGA is if the offensive player was fouled in the process of shooting and misses the shot.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Thx. I was always a bit fuzzy on that.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm smart enough to admit when I'm wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Timmay97 2 years, 8 months ago

There is only one thing I can be critical on with Thomas Robinson......and technically it's just a minor thing. Does anyone else think that Robinson waits too long to get rid of the ball when he's double teamed? If he moves the ball quicker, someone is going to be wide open. All KU teams are great passing teams and I just feel he holds on to the ball too long in the post.

By no means is that an insult to Robinson. He's our glue guy!

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

yes, that has been my crtique of him this season as well. nobody's perfect i guess. I think if he had more playing time over the past two seasons he would be better. he has gotten better at it as the season has progressed but last night was a relapse.

keith horinek 2 years, 7 months ago

yes, I think he holds onto the ball way to long. I eluded to that in my post above. They eventually fgure it out but it takes them a half to see it.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Two things about his holding the ball -

• The few times he is able to beat a double or triple team for a jam are what he remembers - not the turnovers, not the one or two missed foul shots, not the forlorn looks of open teammates.

• It's an illiusion to 'elude' TO something you could have alluded to, unless you just can't get away from it.

Lacy Mohler 2 years, 7 months ago

He needs to watch film of Danny's quick passes--like a volleyball pass. He didn't even catch the ball just tipped it to the open guy if he knew the double team was coming.

TRob thinks score and draw the foul ( which is OK), and he just doesn't have the court vision of Danny--maybe a height thing? TRob also hasn't had the playing time to learn some of those skills. Danny developed a really quick shot too. He was amazing and these guys are lucky to be coached by him.

Sure do enjoy watching TRob play though.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Comparing Thomas' level of development with the 1988 version of D Man should take into account that one of them grew up with a pro ballplayer in the house. What was ingrained by age 12 or 14 doesn't need to be learned at 18 or 19. Patience is a great virtue, but a stern master.

oldalum 2 years, 8 months ago

Bob and Chris mentioned that last night, saying he waited too long to pass out of a double team which soon turned into a triple team, thinking he would be able to force the ball up and score. But instead he would find out he couldn't get rid of it at all by then. I think Bill/Danny must have pointed that out to him because he got better as the game went along.

jcw3691 2 years, 8 months ago

So much for stopping HOME OF THE CHIEFS. I'm pretty sure it was louder than ever before. Well done.

Phoghorn 2 years, 8 months ago

This comment was removed by site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

if I owned the Chiefs, I wouldn't want the crowd yelling "home of the Chiefs".

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Hoping the "well done" was sarcastic.

I'm sure the loser Chief fans screaming it got a giggle, and that's the important thing right?

kubiggestfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Great win guys..... I am rooting for you! Coach Self somehow knows how to get the best out of his players.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Tommy was wrong :) I too, like the coach, walked away less than impressed with the teams effort, but a win is a win.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 7 months ago

If we play like that in Aimes we'll get our butts kicked right off the court. Comumbia should be fine.

cajayfan 2 years, 7 months ago

Need more NBA scouts at the game to get them to play better in the first half. 22 scouts were at the Baylor game.....MU Tigers on the front page of the USA Today sports. We play them this way and we will be pounded. Bring on the scouts.

Ed Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

I think what we saw Saturday and last night with TRob is just a little preoccupation. I agree when there are 4 on him, he should have found the open Jayhawks but they just weren't moving to the ball like usual. Even though he is a beast physically, he is still very young and this week will always be tough on him and Jayla. That's the price we pay to love someone as much as they do their family. He still came alive when needed and got focused on the line going 10/10.

Then take the man that has known Bill Self since college and slept on Bill and Cindy's couch when they were first married running the scouting process and setting up the defensive side of the game. A&M had a tremendous advantage that no one has mentioned just becase of this. They knew KU better than any other team in the country and Bill will tweak enough to show them he still rules the roost!

Conner was not intended to be the role player he has been put into. He was added to the practice squad but earned his way up, much like Morningstar. BM played defense much better and although he wasn't great with ball handling, he knew it and passed more than what I am seeing with Conner. Wesley and Young are the best remedy for Conner so he won't be expected to handle the ball as much as spot up for the 3.

Withey on the other hand is too confident in the "high/low" system of Bill Self and gets it out too quick. TRob just hangs waiting for the foul when he is going to miss more and Withey should be doing that. When the two of them understand each other on the court, it is a beautiful thing! They could be one of the best 1-2 punches out there in the post but just need to sync it up better. It's coming. Games like the last 2 would have been so much easier if it were the beginning of the season but we won so many, we're starting to expect play like last year from players subpar compared to last year. Let's face it, we have not been programmed (all our lives for some) to see KU lose very many games each year.

We now allow fellow students to mess with TT on Twitter and FB, threaten him and do things that are not conducive to supporting our team. When our society erodes to the point NFL players receive death threats for turnovers in big games, how do we expect kids in college to react? Let's either get behind them or leave them alone. Encouragement will always do more than a beat down. That's HCBS's job and he already has an established relationship with the player and his family. just sayin

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!

HiloHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"Uptown" is to be congratulated for a thoughtful, mature analysis. Thanks!

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

A little nostalgia there?? Death threats have been around since before Hank Aaron overtook the babe in career homeruns...

While I agree it is easier to hate VIA Twitter and Facebook to say society has eroded now, and that 20 years ago players didnt recieve death threats is wishful thinking. Nostalgia... When u were young: politicians were noble, society had integrity, and children obeyed their parents. And there were no death threats though, right??

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

And people didn't order cocaine from at home magazines in the early 1920's either, right? Coca-Cola didn't have cocaine in it ever in past either...

RockChalkDoc 2 years, 7 months ago

Yates: i agree with you on Jeff's slowness and lack of hands. But all in all he has exceeded my expectations. His number of altered shots is significant. Great job, coach Manning.

Has anyone noticed that 90% of Travis' missed threes are short? He hardly ever misses short, left, or right. It has been that way all year. But what a great defender all year. Im very proud of T Rel.

Dan Harris 2 years, 7 months ago

longtime? 5 whole months? me thinks I smell a puddycat!

johninkc1 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't agree. It does matter. My diploma say and I quote " The University of Kansas" not "Kansas University." If LJW wants to use the wrong way to refer to our university then perhaps they need to be told that is beneath a great university to be referred by a "nickname." Le't man up and asked that LJW correct this mistake.