Originally published January 19, 2012 at 09:59a.m., updated January 20, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

Charlie Weis names DeMontie Cross as new KU linebackers coach

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Thursday named DeMontie Cross as KU’s linebackers coach, the final piece to Weis’ coaching-staff puzzle.

Cross, who recently finished his first season as special-teams coordinator and safeties coach at the University of Wisconsin, arrives at Kansas with college and NFL experience.

Prior to his one season at Wisconsin, Cross spent the previous five seasons in various positions with the Buffalo Bills. He joined the Bills as a defensive/special-teams assistant in 2006 and was promoted to assistant linebackers coach/special teams for three seasons. In 2010 Cross was promoted again, coaching the Bills’ inside linebackers.

Cross made the jump to the NFL after spending the 2001-05 seasons as Iowa State’s outside-linebackers coach and special-teams coordinator.

While at Iowa State, Cross’ unit made major contributions to the Cyclones’ record-setting defenses during his stint. He helped develop Jeremy Loyd into an All-Big 12 performer; Loyd went on to play for the St. Louis Rams.

Cross, a St. Louis native, began his coaching career as the outside-linebackers coach at his alma mater, Missouri (1998-99).

A 1997 Missouri graduate with a bachelor’s degree in business management, Cross made 415 career tackles at free safety for the Tigers from 1994-96. He led Missouri in tackles as a junior and senior and earned second-team all-conference honors from the Big Eight in 1995 and the Big 12 in 1996.

With the hiring of Cross, Weis’ Kansas football coaching staff is complete: Jeff Blasko (assistant special-teams coordinator/tight ends), Clint Bowen (special-teams coordinator/defensive backs), Dave Campo (defensive coordinator/defensive backs), Tim Grunhard (offensive line), Rob Ianello (recruiting coordinator/wide receivers), Reggie Mitchell (running backs), Ron Powlus (quarterbacks) and Buddy Wyatt (defensive line).

Berglund issues statement

Former KU quarterback Brock Berglund, who was dismissed from the team Monday for missing Sunday’s mandatory team meeting, issued a statement through his attorney Thursday which explained that KU still had not released Berglund to transfer to another school.

Berglund’s request for release was made in an email to various members of the KU athletic department a couple of hours before the team meeting and is currently being reviewed by KU’s Student-Athlete Appeals Board.

“The SAAB inquiry will focus on whether the decision was fair and just given the circumstances,” wrote Berglund’s attorney, Vince Linden. “Any objective observer, shown all the facts, will know that the decision was not only unfair, but was arbitrary and capricious, and should be overturned. It will be very interesting to hear KU’s explanation, particularly in light of the fact that it so gleefully courted players who were granted releases from their own respective programs, and wished the best of luck by their former coaches.”

A KU spokesperson said university officials had no comment because the matter is pending an appeal. A decision is expected in the next week or so.

The press release also revealed a couple of things about KU’s quarterback plans, past and present: For starters, Berglund claims that he was told by the previous coaching staff that he would compete for the starting job immediately. What’s more, the release indicates that Powlus, the current KU quarterbacks coach, told Berglund that Notre Dame transfer Dayne Crist would start in 2012.

Crawley visit ongoing?

Washington, D.C., cornerback Kenneth Crawley, a four-star prospect out of H.D. Woodson High who recently backed out of his commitment to Tennessee, announced Thursday on Twitter that he was on a flight bound for Kansas.

Crawley, 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, is teammates with former KU commitment De’Jon Wilson, who had pledged to join the Jayhawks but backed out after the firing of Turner Gill and now is orally committed to Colorado.

According to Rivals.com, Crawley is the No. 2-ranked cornerback in Maryland and the 21st-ranked player at his position overall.

With just two weekends remaining before signing day (Feb. 1), KU, which has oral commitments from a dozen players in the Class of 2012 — plus three already on campus — figures to turn things up a notch in an attempt to fill out Weis’ first recruiting class.

Some recruiting analysts have said that KU could have as many as 10 visitors in town this weekend. Included among them are: Crawley, Florida linebacker Schyler Miles and East Los Angeles CC cornerback Nasir Moore.

Comments

Kevin Long 2 years, 7 months ago

Overall I'm very happy with the staff here! If you would have told me a year ago that this would be our new staff I would have said your crazy. Now is the hard part of putting all together and going out and winning. Time will tell, but i'm very excited for next season!

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Hello coveted SEC St Louis market!

Any high school Linebackers in St Louis who were thinking about playing for a drunken Tiger named Pinkel want to see seven world championship superbowl rings in a town a few miles to the west?

Not to mention the newly released all around I.M.H.O. # 1 strength staff/facilities in college football ---- incredible how just last year we were #250 on the I.M.H.O. strength staff rankings.

What a staff Weis has put together, I'm cracking up that Weis just gained access to Pinkel's St Louis recruiting scene----outstanding!----Can't wait til April 28th. Pack the stadium Jayhawk Nation!

unearth76 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck on that. DeMontie will be the best coach on Weis' staff.

PS - Mizzou still wants to play you guys, not doing so only hurts KC!

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

A tiger? Wow so let down by that. It was looking good, and then Whamo!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

Look at it this way. If the defense sucks again, we can just blame the Misery grad.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

A tiger who coached in the NFL, turned into a Cyclone, made their players a top tier group, coached as a Badger for a BCS team last year in the Rose Bowl and almost beat a prolific Oregon offense. The dude is now a full-fledged Jayhawk, just like Brandon Rush was for us who had some Missouri ties we all might recall!

On another thread I read that this guy has serious in roads in the St Louis scene. Huge for Weis. Not only defensive players but apparently he knows DGB. Not saying it will happen, but man oh man, how sweet would that be.

We want Dorial Green-Beckham!

troutsee 2 years, 7 months ago

So what. Big deal. Let's sit around and cry over something so trivial

kranny 2 years, 7 months ago

Missouri is dead to me now anyway.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Not yet. I'm waiting on two more basketball games before I no longer give a s*#€ about MU. Up to that point they are the lowest of the low. The class of OU, the humility of Texas, the intelligence of WV, the good looks of a wildcat, the likability of coach k, etc... That being said I'm always glad to bring another over from the dark side!

danmoore 2 years, 7 months ago

Starting next season they are no longer our rival so no big deal.

Bud Stagg 2 years, 7 months ago

they gotta have one guy on staff to get the coffee and donuts.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 7 months ago

Come on, guys. He learned to read and write. He can be a Jayhawk now.

Eric Bernauer 2 years, 7 months ago

That must have happened sometime after he graduated from Missouri.

TenaciousD 2 years, 7 months ago

With a name like DeMontie..... it has to be good. Or is that Smuckers?

Brandon Pope 2 years, 7 months ago

Not too shabby. Now lets get to work and get this thing turned around. KU football has NEVER been in the kind of position for success it is in right now. These guys have to get it done.

lurkerhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

is this like the last stand at the Alamo?

Kyle Rohde 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Interesting to see another coach left Wisconsin so fast - they've lost a tremendous amount of coaches this off-season.

Andy Hess 2 years, 7 months ago

A former Mizzou player at LB coach? Coach Fambrough is turning over in his grave, and I don't like it.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Which don't you like, the former Mizzou on staff, or Fam turning over?

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

I played at TCU then went to WWII, I'll take anyone that helps Crimson and Blue, he's not a trojan horse. It is not where you have been, but where you are now, on the hill building football powerhouse.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

"During my time as head coach I have tried to hire DeMontie a number of times and the timing was finally right. He will be heavily involved in special teams as well as with our defensive staff. He is a tremendous addition and will help our recruiting efforts in the St. Louis area. DeMontie's hiring strengthens our staff and will help us continue to improve as a football team."

-Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema

Now go get DGB, DeMontie!!

Sayers44 2 years, 7 months ago

Cross has the experience.

He has paid his dues.

Welcome to Kansas.

Micky Baker 2 years, 7 months ago

Super strong staff. I also found that 4 recruits from ESPNU150 have added Kansas to their list. 12 days until national signing day. Rock Chalk.

Dave Campo, and he do this? I think so. He did at Miami, and he did with the Cowboys(very difficult league there where everyone is a five star).

Micky Baker 2 years, 7 months ago

Correction:

Dave Campo, can he do this?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget that he did it with Pittsburg as well.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Great info. Thanks for bringing it. Man-oh-man, if we could land 4 guys off the top 150!!!!!!

drnater 2 years, 7 months ago

Cox and Fuller have been on the list for awhile now. Fuller doesnt have us in his top 5, nor does Cox. As for the other 3, we came in late and they've already all but taken their 5 officials. Unofficial visits are still in the scenario, but if we can pull anyone of these 5 we'd be doing well.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

As to your "not quite" 150. He's from Jeanette HS in PA. You know their mascot, right? Yes none other than the Jayhawk. Kid should be ours! (Well I can dream)

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 7 months ago

Nice job, KG. Also, Weis was in Hutch yesterday talking with coaches & players.
Patterson is one of the most coveted JUCO WR's in the nation.

He is also the cousin of Keon Stowers, who has vowed to recruit him.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

You had me, until you said MU...than I decided to puke a little.

I'm not a fan at all of adding a Tigger to the mix...

HCCW was making me feel so good, coordinators, recruits (not to mention 5 Star recruits), position coaches, great interviews, appearances at other sporting events, everything was perfect...than he throws a tiger into the mix. It's going to take me a few days to get over this one...if ever.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget. We don't play them anymore. I know it's weird, but after basketball season, they are no longer a rival. Mizzou is just Misery. Just another team.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

I seriously couldn't care one way or another about the Tigers anymore. I used to hate-respect-not respect-laugh at them. Now they left and I have zero animosity because they quit. They ran away and I could care less about them now.

Look at this linebacker coach's resume. It rocks the house! He was a Tiger. He was also an NFL coach for five years and probably the best defensive coach Iowa State has had ever. That was an incredible linebacking core you might recall. And did you see last year as a badger, a stellar linebacking core that hung with Oregon's prolific attack for a good bit of the game.

And he has access to St. Louis market!

If anything enjoy the value of this coach and fact that this guy will fall in love with being a born again Jayhawk and will judging by his resume work his tail off on Weis and Campo's staff.

If any of us have any lasting shreds of evil left for the tigers, smile an evil grin today knowing Weis just gained access to their coveted SEC St.Louis scene. Ever heard of Dorial Green-Beckham? I'm not saying Weis will get him but his chances just went up not only with DGB but with a whole bunch of future D1 players who might have been thinking about playing for Pinkel. Missouri Shmazzouri.

RCJ

Rolland Remmert 2 years, 7 months ago

You are 100% correct...if he can coach and recruit (especially in the St. Louis area) more power to him. Some concern about his movement. Is he going to be one and done again. I know coaches are always looking to better themselves but 5 jobs in 7-8 years is a lot. Never the less, a couple of years of the good life in Lawrence and he won't even slow down going thru Columbia whe he is on his recruiting trips to St. Slum, the NEW heart of the SEC....yuk, yuk

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 7 months ago

+1. I'm getting all emotional here. This is insane. First all these reptiles now this misery grad. I recognize this is all business and we dont play misery anymore but this is a tough one to ingest. That said, in HCCW I trust.

RCJHGKU!!!

John Boyle 2 years, 7 months ago

What's the big deal, we have a KSUcks guy as our AD.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

Common, are you seriously going to tell me that if KU starts playing well and winning games, you're going to give a rat's a** where our linebacker coach came from???

And why would you care anyway about a bottom-of-the-barrell SEC team?

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoops, that should be "barrel."

Jayhawk444 2 years, 7 months ago

So Weis is the Offensive Coordinator, right? I thought I saw where he wanted to have an assistant OC as part of his staff to groom/mentor into a full-time OC position. Anybody know what's going on there?

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 7 months ago

What about Ed Warriner? He was on the staff at Notre Dame, and was the OC at KU during the glory year ('07).

PJ Karasek 2 years, 7 months ago

Warriner got hired by Meyer @ tOSU

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I still think that this will be Grunhard.

jhawk613 2 years, 7 months ago

my vote is Ianello (that is I think Weis will groom him), but wouldn't be disappointed if Grunhard was his OC-in-waiting.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe I recall reading CW say that the OC2B would be identified through the natural process of coaching the team as a group of coaches; that he had not identified 1 coach over another.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

You're all wrong. It's Weis's son. Watch in four years we will have Charlie's son as our OC and eventual head coach. This is a dynasty in the making.

amatxjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm OK with his undergraduate school. He's been around long enough and had enough experience to live that down. And besides, they are but a figment. They no longer exist. They do not anger or rile me one way or the other. They are like an ex- girlfriend. Of whom were you speaking?

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

If he is able to proudly sport KANSAS across his chest, then welcome aboard. I'm sure plenty of his old teammates will give him enough crap about it. oh yeah....muck fizzou!

kugrad93 2 years, 7 months ago

The people who are complaining about him being a Mizzou grad need to grow up. That was 15 years ago. He spent five years at Iowa State, so he obviously has no problem working at another Big 12 school.

You might remember that Bill Self spent more than 10 years as Oklahoma State as a player and assistant. His first staff at KU included an assistant (Jankovich) who played and coached at KSU and also had been an assistant at Texas, Baylor and OSU before coming here.

Mangino worked at OU and KSU before he came to KU.

Zenger has degrees from KSU and KU.

The point is, coaches and ADs give their loyalty to whoever signs their checks. The guy has been successful in the college ranks and has NFL experience. He's a KU guy now. Let Misery fans worry about whether or not they like him working for us.

Cmill1221 2 years, 7 months ago

True but OSU, ISU, and KSU are not MU.

2 years, 7 months ago

A friend of mine, who is a leader in the KU Alumni Association, went to MU for undergrad and KU for law school. He is one of most devout Jayhawk fans you will ever meet, so it is possible to convert them :^)

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes. It's one of the greatest things that can happen in humanity.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 7 months ago

I usually don't admit this, especially on WWW.KUSPORTS.COM, but...my wife got her Master's from Mizzou. It was rough for a couple of years but she is better now. If I can sleep everynight with a Mizzou grad, KU can have one coach coaching linebackers with a MU background.

Cmill1221 2 years, 7 months ago

Props man. I honestly don't think I would be able to handle that! It's hat enough when I lived in a city that shared a border. To share a bed....

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 7 months ago

It helps that she is damn good looking.

741hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

My Dad thinks my greatest accomplishment in life is marrying and converting a Tigger. She wears crimson and blue the day of every game. The only time she wears an MU shirt is to the KU MU football game . . but she wears it under her KU shirt. She would never do that for MU basketball. She hated Norm . . like the rest of us. I welcomed her to the club when I married her 25 years ago. Rock Chalk!

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

That's what I'm talkin bout.

Welcome to the town with seven superbowl rings, Mr. Cross!

Rolland Remmert 2 years, 7 months ago

That's ecouraging because I've always heard trying to convert a Tiger was like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

lurkerhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Strange. I heard the same exact thing for KSU

jay381 2 years, 7 months ago

My congratulations to HCCW. This group of coaches would be impressive to any university including the traditional football powerhouses. Time will tell if these men are able to eradicate the low points of KU football. However, with that said I think this gives KU the absolute best opportunity to succeed I can ever remember for KU football. I will admit when I first heard the hiring of HCCW I was somewhat surprised (not in a negative or positive way, just surprised). However every move the man has made since he became HC is absolutely impressive. This could be one heck of a solid foundation for the future. I also totally congratulate AD Zenger for the totally professional way he conducted the search. I really based on what I see to this point do not see how anyone could not be absolutely enthusiastic about spring football and next season (although lets not get too carried away he has a lot of holes to fill next season). I think win or lose we will have a team that will be well coached and a team to be proud of both on and off the field. I would think everyone would and should be proud of the actions taken to set the tone for behavior and the type of environment he wants to recruit to in the future. AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT START AND CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW STAFF.

orbiter 2 years, 7 months ago

Was all this no-MU grads happening when everyone was begging for Jim Leavitt to be our DC?

kugrad93 2 years, 7 months ago

There were a few people who wanted Gary Barnett, another Tigger, for head coach.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, there were a few people who were completely against Leavitt, Barnett or any other coach who had ever been at Missouri in the past because they take the rivalry way too seriously.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 7 months ago

Kenneth Crawley is on his way to Kansas per his tweet...

By tonight we going to see if it's official we're on the flight to kansas

Now that we have a full staff with all those rings we can start pulling them in.

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 2 years, 7 months ago

In general this staff is tremendous. It needs to be mentioned though that Wisconsin fans will tell you that their special teams play was the weak link all year. The Badgers gave up a huge number of long kick returns and had field goals or punts blocked in crucial games. Cross was not well regarded by Badger fans. Of course its not all his fault but still needs to be said amongst all the adulation.

John Myers 2 years, 7 months ago

But he's also not coming in to coach special teams. :)

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 2 years, 7 months ago

Good point - and he had a great LB coach to learn from at Wisco, Dave Huxtable. Wisco's linebackers led the Big 10 in tackles. Let's hope he picked up some tips.

Geekinout 2 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the good (non-slavery) side DeMontie...

Robert Brock 2 years, 7 months ago

Missouri...didn't they used to be in the Big 12 or something?

d_park 2 years, 7 months ago

I could see KU getting Macaulay Culkin'd for this coaching staff move. Oh, brother!

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

Staff Theme: Tons of NFL experience - we'll get you to the league.

Recruiting Strategy: Grunhard - KC, Cross - Stl, Wyatt and Campo - TX Reggie and Ianello - everywhere else

If we win Kansas every year in recruiting, if we win KC and begin winning in MO - then add some key Texas or National recruits, then we can compete year-in and year-out.

I respect what Weis has done, but don't underestimate Zenger. He knows his football. I'm sure that he has had some say in the overall staffing strategy.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

As far as I am concerned, as long as he kept Reggie Mitchell...the rest is gravy!!

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 7 months ago

Are some of you really bitching and moaning about hiring a Missouri grad? It's Missouri, not the USSR.

hawk4evr2 2 years, 7 months ago

Sasha was from Russia and that worked out pretty good for us. Lets not worry about where they are from, just be glad they want to work for and wear Kansas across their chest.

beebe1 2 years, 7 months ago

Back during M's stay, there appeared to be a VERY worthy SS Coordinator at Iowa State. Maybe it was Cross. For example, when IS did an onsides kickoff, every man on the kickoff team knew exactly where the ball was going, and they knew their assignments -- block out KU 'receptors', and the key guy knew he was to get inside his team and make the catch! They did it to perfection.

That was remarkable coaching! It was not the only play they made that was well coached.

Bowen worries me. He isn't really qualified to coach defense, but he is the SS Coordinator.

Whoever that coach was -- he would be a goldmine of a hire. If it was Cross, and he has some influence, maybe Bowen could get wised up. He is a local guy, and seems to have some personality. He just had the world's worst coordinator when he played at KU.

Calijhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

For all the bashing we do of Lew Perkins, and there is plenty that he deserves, one thing we need to thank him for -- the football complex. Without the upgrade in facilities, there is no way HCCW even takes Sheahon Zenger's call.

Steven Mathew 2 years, 7 months ago

He hired Bill Self too...to add on to Lew Perkins' positive accomplishments.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

It was neither, it was the interim AD between Bohl and Perkins, but his name slips my mind right now.

bville_hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self was hired by interim AD Drew Jennings and Chancellor Hemenway.

Perkins should get credit for retaining Bill when Boone Pickens opened up his checkbook to try and get Bill to jump to Okie State.

741hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Drew Jennings -- KU history has already forgotten him, but he is THE unsung Jayhawk.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

As I have posted before, Perkins handled the Mangino firing extremely poorly, the Gill hiring was disaster, and the ticket scandal gave KU a black eye. However, he also doubled the Athletic Budget, upgraded the FBall facilities so they at the same level with the best of them. He also led the upgrading of AFH and more importantly, without his contacts, MU and not KU would have gone to the Orange Bowl, the highlight of the KU FBall programs in as far back as I can remember. When you look at his tenure in context, he is one of the better, if not the best, AD KU ever had. I seem to remember Perkins being named the top Sports Executive in the country.

741hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Correct in all respects.

Looking back, the question I ponder is . . . 10 years later, would we have been better off with an average AD over those years? We might have had some of the positives and none of Perkin's negatives.

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

Unbelievably wrong. The ticket scandal and Gill's hiring make him one of the all-time worst. Do you remember what it was like around here?

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

orbiter 2 years, 7 months ago

"He hired Bill Self too" --no he didn't

Greg Ledom 2 years, 7 months ago

Bowen was an excellent position coach for us. Only when he was named DC did he struggle.

Greg Ledom 2 years, 7 months ago

Drew Jennings hired HCBS. He was post Bohl and pre Perkins.

hawk4evr2 2 years, 7 months ago

Perkins was one of the worst things to ever happen to KU athletics. We are just now starting to crawl out of the mess that he created for us. It's foolish at best to think Perkins was the best AD in KU's history. He did much more harm than good.

berrytondd 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck in the SEC. However I hope we sweep you this year in B-ball. I think Cross will turn out to be a good coach for us.

55jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

You guys who keep bad mouthing our players, coaches, and anything else that comes from your s@#t for brains head, need to go somewhere else to vent your dumb out of place remarks. I have followed your comments from time to time and am sick of all of you that keep beating certain folks down and the schools they came from. You may think it's in good fun but I'm telling you it's not! Until you have worn the uniform like some of us have at KU, keep your GD mouths shut because that will tear our atheletic family apart faster than anything!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

It's a message board... What do you expect? I agree people tend to get childish and vicious on these things, but it is still a message board and comes with the territory.