Thursday, January 19, 2012

Charlie Weis heaps praise on QB

Kansas quarterback, Jake Heaps, a transfer from BYU, answers questions during a press conference on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

New Kansas University quarterback Jake Heaps doesn’t appear to fit the major-college quarterback stereotype.

He’s married. He’s shorter than the ideal height for the position. And, despite coming to KU during the middle of his sophomore year at BYU, he looks as if he’d fit in fine posing as a high school sophomore.

Doesn’t matter. The guy can play, a fact KU coach Charlie Weis was more than happy to point out during Monday’s news conference in which Heaps and fellow transfers Dayne Crist (quarterback, Notre Dame) and Justin McCay (wide receiver, Oklahoma) were introduced to the media.

“Don’t misconstrue Jake’s height with an athletic quarterback versus a true drop-back quarterback,” Weis said. “Jake can throw it all over the yard, too.”

That much is evident by looking at Heaps’ past. During a high school career that ended with him being ranked as the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the nation, Heaps led Skyline (Wash.) High to three straight state championships while throwing for almost 10,000 yards, 114 touchdowns and just 18 interceptions.

Recruited by Weis to Notre Dame, Heaps chose to sign with BYU instead, where he started 13 games as a true freshman and set every freshman quarterback record including passing yards, touchdowns and wins. His freshman season ended about as well as his senior season of high school, with Heaps being named the offensive MVP of the New Mexico Bowl after completing a school-record 25 of 34 passes and tossing four TDs in a bowl victory against UTEP.

During his sophomore season, Heaps was named to the Davey O’Brien Watch List and appeared to be on his way to a stellar college career that would land him comfortably in the company of former BYU greats Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer. After starting the first five games of his second season, Heaps was benched and that opened the door for Riley Nelson to take over as the Cougars’ starting quarterback and lit Heaps’ path from Provo, Utah, to Lawrence.

If he’s upset about it, you’d never know from listening to him talk. In fact, Heaps spoke as if he believed coming to Kansas was meant to be. Heaps’ wife, Brooke, whom he married last June, also attended Monday’s introduction. She recently moved to Lawrence and will take online classes from BYU while her husband takes on-the-field classes from Weis.

“I don’t think there is a better coach out there than coach Weis to help us get to that next level,” said Heaps, referencing his lifelong dream of playing in the NFL. “If that happens at the end of the day, that’s great, but our main focus at this time is to work as hard as we can with our teammates and make this experience at KU the best that we possibly can and win as many games as we can as a team.”

Heaps isn’t the only one who believes his reunion with Weis was all part of a grand plan.

“I was in love with Jake when he was out at Skyline High School in Washington,” Weis said. “I tried like heck to get him. I went there on a Friday night before we (Notre Dame) played the University of Washington, and I watched him throw 100 touchdown passes in a game. I tried to get him, but I just couldn’t get him, so I’m really happy to have him (now).”

So far, most of the focus has been on Crist, the Notre Dame graduate expected to start at quarterback next season as he plays out his eligibility. Heaps, who has to sit out the 2012 season because of NCAA transfer rules, seems to be KU’s quarterback-in-waiting. Others will compete, and Weis will bring in more quarterbacks to add depth to the position. Heaps knows that and seems to embrace it.

“Nothing’s for sure,” Heaps said. “I could be the future, I could not be the future. I’m going to make sure to work as hard as I can to solidify my spot.”

Crist, who hails from Canoga Park, Calif., and therefore knows a little about Heaps’ background, said he would do everything he could during his one season in town to give Heaps a leg up.

“It will be nice to help him in the ways I was helped by (former Notre Dame QB) Jimmy Clausen when we were going through things with Coach Weis the first time,” Crist said.

Comments

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Great article...

Heaps is a stud. Since Crist looks to be the guy next year, Heaps has taken a little bit of a backseat with publicity but he really shouldn't. This guy is going to be special.

"Heaps to McCay"... Lets get used to hearing that!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

And yes, Heaps definitely does look like a 16 year old. Never seemed to hurt Reesing!

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

Reesing at least looked liked he could grow facial hair. How many people can say they got married before they could grow a beard?

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 10 months ago

+100. That's is funny and the stereotype to be true. Thankfully heaps is from WA so he shouldnt get offended. Nice post, -igg!

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 10 months ago

The BYU students just get married on first "one"... instead of slu++ing out and trying to find the best F they can which happens at most every other school in the country... Which causes "sorry I put a restraining order on you, your dad works at the police station and told me to call if u acted up, cuz he doesnt wanna hear about this from his coworkers (thank god someone in your family is reasonable)", telling other gf "go back home to Chicago cuz it isn't working, sorry u broke both ankles, developed cankles in both ankles AND got fat" and sorry u will not come to Cali with me after my graduation party in chicago..."no u can't come with me to my graduation party in chicago, even if ur goal is to get to Cali on my wallet, psycho"... So ya, getting marries to any of those first 3, before getting an obscene amount of tail my last yr at school would have been devastating to my life and confidence, as it would any man... Boo BYU...

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 10 months ago

And to all u current KU students... Even if u have had a gr ur first 3 yrs of school, make sure u spend some time free, as my first two destroyed my first 4 yrs of school and I needed a super senior year to "make up for lost time"... Count em, 23 rings, and no x3 b.s. like the pulling pie movie says... Playon KU!

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

To Kansashawk....+1

To Calihawk33....what the....

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 10 months ago

CaliHawk33, what is wrong with you? Why would anyone reading these posts care that you are a sad, sad little boy with mommy issues? Please put that thing away for the greater good of the KU female student body. I just threw up in my mouth a little.....

GridironHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Seeing it was posted at 3:45 AM, let's just write that up to some drunken ramblings... I think CaliHawk needs to get the breathalyzer keyboard installed to prevent these rants (guessing his cell phone probably needs it too).

mojayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Bring on the O-Line. Protect these guys and give them a chance to sling it!

april28 2 years, 10 months ago

I didn't realize that Heaps had such a strong freshman season at BYU. Crist is going to right the ship....Heaps is going to full-throttle it.

.....With Campo now on board, I think that we'll see some add'l "D" commitments in the next few days.

Gotta say that Charlie's press conference got me revved. It's easy to see why kids sign up with him.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

About recruiting this year...

I love the way Weis is getting creative with guys like McCay, Heaps, and Crist. The unfortunate fact is that it is very difficult to build the type of relationship needed this late in the game with the high school kids. It will be a success if we can plug up some immediate needs with transfers and some JC guys. Anything done with high school commits is extra credit.

Cheers to next years recruiting class being incredible!

Matt Kenton 2 years, 10 months ago

A co-worker and former BYU quarterback told me he thought Heaps was a great talent and a change could do him good because he had a hard time handling the high expectations and pressure his sophomore season after such a spectacular freshman campaign.

I hope Weis isn't building up the lofty expectations again with his "100 touchdowns in a game" type of comments. I'd rather Jake let his play do the talking and hope this is the last time we hear gushing praise until he has done something at KU to warrant it.

chalky 2 years, 10 months ago

100 touchdown passes in a game! I can see it now... KU 700 Oklahoma 28!

vd 2 years, 10 months ago

698, you missed a couple extra points.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 10 months ago

I obviously missed something....Does anyone know why Heap got benched his sophomore year? It doesn't add up at all especially looking at his numbers.....

GridironHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

He had a bad start to the year and then got injured and never won his starting job back (one of those where the backup was winning so how do you take him out situations).

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah. BYU was 1-4 To start the season. And his back up took over when cinfrence play started. Obviously who ever was QB was going to produce aginst the big bad Mt WEST conference teams.

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 10 months ago

BYzoo is an independent school with no conference affiliation. Heaps was benched during the Utah State game. Riley Nelson came in to replace Heaps and won the game (and the starting job).

DenverJHawkMK 2 years, 10 months ago

Not to offend, just a funny take on a loosely reported Mormon custom. Ladies and gentlemen, the art of "soaking".

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 10 months ago

Lame post. Take that stuff somewhere else. What does that trash have to do with KU football?

A possible post for National Enquirer (or anti Romney super PAC), NOT here!

DenverJHawkMK 2 years, 10 months ago

Get off your high horse. Anecdotes always have a place at the tail end of a comment discussion. BTW, you're the one who slipped a Romney super PAC reference in there.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Obviously you don't, or you'd be able to spell his name . . .

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

The last time Kansas had a short QB and a fat coach, things worked out pretty well!

Fat Man & Little Boy, part two?

DevilHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Tom Brady back in the Super Bowl has to give KU football and Charlie Weis some positive attention again, right?

UtahGma 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh man, I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes... you guys are really funny! My hub is a BYU football guy and he is rotflhao. He didn't get married until he was 25 (the first time) - THAT wasn't me ; > .

We've watched Jake play and he is a stud. He got benched primarily because of some internal politics that favored Riley over Jake. It kinda falls under the catagory of 's*** happens' especially when you have a new OC who's learning to call plays. When the offense is struggling do you think the blame is going to put on the new OC or the QB? You guys do not know how lucky you are to have a QB like Jake.