Thursday, January 19, 2012

Attorney enters plea of not guilty for KU basketball player accused of possessing alcohol

Kansas University basketball player Ben McLemore pleaded not guilty Thursday afternoon to a misdemeanor charge of minor in possession of alcohol.

His defense attorney, Al Lopes, who appeared in court for McLemore said he will request more information from prosecutors in the case.

McLemore, 18, received a ticket Nov. 4 from a state Alcoholic Beverage Control officer. The officer alleged McLemore was found with a Red Bull and vodka at Abe and Jake’s Landing, 8 E. Sixth St. The freshman from St. Louis had missed his initial court date in December.

The NCAA in October declared McLemore, as a partial academic qualifier, ineligible to play in games in the 2011-2012 season. After his fall semester grades were turned in, he was allowed to begin practicing with the team in January.

McLemore’s next court appearance is scheduled for March 6. KU coach Bill Self has said any team discipline will be handled internally.

Comments

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

In the final analysis, Ben will probably somehow come to terms with his public transgression, the very worst of his frosh entanglement residing in one horrific daily Brandon Rush manner of superimposed growth and development. To wit, absorbing the full impact of the word "treadmill".

Carolyn Troupe 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't often laugh at what my fellow Hawks post as humor/sarcasm, but I did at this one...or maybe it was the gin...

James Minor 2 years, 3 months ago

Judge: Mr. Mclemore how do you plead? Mclemore: Not Guilty Judge: Sounds fine with me. But that will cost you four season tickets, two complimentary hot dogs and coke for each game. Mclemore: Thanks Judge Judge: Oh and make sure Bill doesn't stand up all the time it may block my view. Judge: All those that oppose. Audience: How come i don't get the same treatment. Judge: Contempt of court throw that Pinkel guy in the Missouri jacket in DC jail for 30 days.

DrPepper 2 years, 3 months ago

I thought it was actually the Big12 that said he couldn't play now.

hawkcat 2 years, 3 months ago

Morningstar played like a alcoholic, couldn't hit a shot. Drank them but, couldn't hit one.

ku_foaf 2 years, 3 months ago

"That's not my drink. Some guy stuck it in my hand and poured it in my mouth. That's why I failed the breathalyzer."

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

McLemore must be related to Brady Morningstar.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

I saw the Kansas Homeowners ad at the top showing some old white guy and my immediate thought was BMac used this as his fake ID.

Doesn't Red Bull kill alcohol (when mixed)?

; p

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

Officer: Mr. Pinkel you can't count backwards from 73 to 59 and no it isn't that hard normally, have you had anything to drink. Coach: Yeah, couple wines. Officer: wines how many? Coach: couple Officer: what size? Coach: Jumbos Officer: Jumbos? Coach: Yeah.

I heard the tape, pretty good stuff. In his defense he was taking Ambien which multiplies the alcohol effects. SEC bytes.

Stuart Sweeney 2 years, 3 months ago

I know we are all presumed innocent until proven guilty but what a relief it would be, once in awhile, for someone to say I am guilty and take the lumps they have coming to them!