Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keegan

KU’s biggest gains tough to judge

A thought camped in my mind and I decided to write it down before it died of loneliness: More than just the Kansas University basketball players have improved this season. The Allen Fieldhouse crowd has gotten even better too. Louder. Prouder.

Reader poll

Which KU starter has improved the most since last season?

• Tyshawn Taylor 7% 334 votes
  • Elijah Johnson 0% 34 votes
  • Travis Releford 13% 589 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 19% 864 votes
  • Jeff Withey 58% 2600 votes

4421 total votes.

And what could have caused that, other than the team exceeding expectations?

Maybe, just maybe, in the final years of the ticket fraud that padded the pockets of folks now serving sentences, the ever-changing faces of those sitting in some of the best seats prevented a sense of community from growing with each game. Maybe, just maybe, donors started sensing they weren’t getting what they paid for and looked with suspicion at those with better seats and wondered how much, if anything, they donated to the Williams Fund.

Last year, honesty was restored to the system, but a transition was necessary in order for all the resentment of those who didn’t get what they paid for in previous seasons to fade.

The crowd for the Big Monday blowout against Baylor brought it from opening tip to the final horn. The loudmouth in the ball cap who sits near the visiting bench let the refs have it with extra acidity to his tongue, sharper fangs to his ever-pointing index finger. The dunks drew louder roars. The nervous silence that sometimes surfaces when KU falls behind never materialized during the Bears’ short stay ahead on the scoreboard.

It’s not easy to say why, but the crowd feels even livelier.

Before getting to another question that involves the basketball team, consider philosophical ones that rank behind it in degree of difficulty:

What came first, the Jayhawk or the egg?

The toughest question yet posed: Which player in KU’s cohesive, fast and agile defensive juggernaut of a starting five has improved the most since a year ago?

Thomas Robinson, who had four double-doubles and averaged 14.6 minutes last season and has had 13 double-doubles this season and is playing 30.6 minutes a game?

Tyshawn Taylor, coming off back-to-back 28-point games and playing with such contagious confidence?

Jeff Withey, who suffered from a paint allergy a year ago, now leads the Big 12 in blocked shots, makes players slam on the brakes on their drives to the hoop, has four double-doubles and had nine offensive rebounds against Baylor?

Glue guy Travis Releford, so much faster and more explosive than most complementary players?

Elijah Johnson, the early favorite to rank as next season’s most improved Jayhawk?

You make the call by casting your vote above.

Comments

jayhawkboogeyman 2 years, 7 months ago

I genuinely don't follow what this article is supposed to be about. The AFH crowd is better since the ticket scandal was exposed. Some questions so convoluted I have no idea what he is asking, none of them at all relevant to AFH, and then a poll about the starting five. There is not a cohesive thought in this. Plus, TK is always trying to be witty or sarcastic, but his references and analogies are so forced and contrived that they make no sense at all.

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

Cast my vote for what? Most random thought? And stop calling Travis "glue." Glue was a myth created to justify Brady's minutes despite his anemic stat line. Travis is already averaging more than Brady did last year. If you're making an impact on the floor, it's going to show up in the box score one way or another. Joe Dumars and Michael Cooper were famous defensive specialists, but they could also score.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

How does holding the opponents top scorer 10 to 15 pts below their average show up in a defenders box score? How does diving for loose balls show up in the box score?

If you stayed with the team, you'd also know that Brady had plenty of stats for his play from making the extra pass, for a basket, or making an entry pass without turning it over.

This isn't to say that Brady is/was better than Travis, but to claim Brady's stats were anemic is just as ignorant as claiming that all effort is rewarded with a stat. Really dumb.

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I remember when Brady held Ali Faroukmanesh to 10 to 15 points under his scoring average in the UNI game. If you remember, as the past two seasons wore on Brady was pulled off the other team's leading scorer b/c he could not keep up with them.

chriz 2 years, 7 months ago

Didn't Tyshawn yank Brady himself during the Cornell game to guard Cornell's main scorer?

Gregor Southard 2 years, 7 months ago

Go after one game in 4 games, ox, brilliant

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

trojan: I've heard Bilas and Fraschilla say it about Brady, but not Knight or Self. If you have a link to a quote, I'd be interested.

oxcal is right. Glue is just a stupid word used for a player that does some little things right, but has other major deficiencies -- like actual stats. It's an apologists word.

When anyone wants to get into the Brady debate, I'd point them to the Michigan St., UNI, and VCU boxscores .. to really get at the definition of "glue."

lama 2 years, 7 months ago

Exactly -- you nailed the Brady myth.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

If only Bill Self, through hundreds of practices, hours and hours of film study and many, many games would have been able to expose Morningstar for the fraud that he is. Our collective thanks to you geniuses who were able to figure it out.

Your next assignment: Prove that the students don't really say "Woo" during the Rock Chalk Chant.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually, my friend, proof is in the pudding, isn't it? But it is easier to revert to the "because coach Self says so" stuff.

kwhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I can't even count the number of times I'd be watching KU on ESPN when Knight would talk about Morningstar being one of his favorite basketball players. I can't give you a link to a quote, but I know it to be true. Spoke of him being a "glue" guy that did all the little things you need to do, to win.

More to the point this is a dumb arguement. Not everyone can lead the team in scoring, blocks, rebounds, assists. But Brady did everything right. Very few tournovers, great entry passes to the Morris', and scored when called upon.

lincase 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe that Coach Self cast his vote through playing time awarded.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

HEM--Usually, you and I are on the same page...see my post below.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

If anyone wonders what Brady did for this team, just read trojanhawk's excellent post. Also, think back to the earlier games this year and how much trouble we had getting the ball into the post. I don't know how many times a player would be open inside but for some reason we couldn't get him the ball. We are getting better, but still have a ways to go. Those are passes Brady made consistently and as good as anyone else last year except maybe Markieff.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Morningstar was a joke, he couldn't guard anything. As far as his shooting, Reed blew Brady away. Brady could hit the side of the barn with 2x4. Worst player ever for KU.

hawksterkc 2 years, 7 months ago

You are obviously not old enough to remember Mark Pellock.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 7 months ago

The term "glue guy" was around long before Brady Morningstar put on a KU uniform. I can specifically remember sportscaster's and coaches using it to refer to both Russell Robinson and Shane Battier.

Feel free to argue that the term was used to "justify their minutes" despite their "anemic stat lines."

Also--can we lay off Brady already? Dude's graduated and moved on. We should, too.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess I'll have to throw in the mandatory, "Well, Brady was good enough for Bill Self to take notice and to give him significant minutes over players like Elijah Johnson. If it's good enough for an NCAA coach that wins 84% of the time and has a National Championship under his belt, it's good enough for me."

I'm not so sure Brady was a "glue" guy, to use your words. I would just say he contributed a lot both defensively and offensively. He was a great defender. He wasn't selfish. He was also a great dribbler and passer. He was efficient. And he always made smart plays. He was an extension of Coach Self on the court. Sure, he doesn't have the up side that Elijah has, but he was a better overall basketball player than EJ last season. He gave KU a better chance to win it's 7th straight conference championship. That's why he got minutes; Bill Self is in the business of winning games, not accommodating fans' requests.

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

If "glue" guys are so important ask yourself this question - If there are two recruits who have the same effort, character, academics, etc. but one is glue and the other is 5 star, which do you go after?

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

A "glue" guy may be your best player because he gets points, assists, rebounds, stops when you need them.

They almost always have more basketball smarts, and keep the team within itself and playing together. They don't put up bad or 'iffy' shots when there are better things to do with the ball.

They do what the team needs, whether or not it makes them look like a star to fans who can only see the flash and not the whole picture.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

I think the crowd realizes what an impact we have not only on opponents, but on our own teams confidence as well. This years team is undermanned, but is performing higher than expectations. My theory is the crowd is trying extra hard to keep the team confident because a lot of the talking heads didn't think they could compete with teams like Ohio St, Duke or Baylor this season. We may lose some games this year, but no way it happens at our house. The stakes are high for every Big XII game in my mind because there is a serious threat of Mizzou waltzing out of the Big XII with a conference title.

As for the ticket scandal theory... I dont really get it. I think my seats got moved back a row this season. After tipoff, the only thing I think about is the game, I've spent little to no time reflecting on the ticket scandal while in AFH.

Micky Baker 2 years, 7 months ago

Of course Robinson is getting 30.6 minutes per game, and of course he has more double doubles. No Morris Twins. Sure, he's improved, but I think everyone knew of his upside. I think Withey and Releford have improved the most, but that might be because of T-Rob and Taylor. Let's face it. Baylor was focused on defending under the goal, but then when they tried to defend T-Rob out at 15 or see feet, they got burned. Taylor exposed the weak help side defense by Baylor. It wasn't just that.

Against Iowa State on Saturday, the team did not panic at all. I didn't feel at any point during that game that Iowa State was going to win that game, even when they were up by 12 in the second half.

I think the reason why, Travis Releford. He wasn't the leading scorer that day but you can bet he was on of the guys Iowa State was focused on stopping. It freed up Taylor, and T-Rob.

Withey also, has taken some pressure of T-Rob, and if they Double T--Rob down low, Releford or Taylor or Teehan or Johnson on the wing, or Withey cutting down the lane.

If Johnson and Teehan improve some more, it could be the best 6 players as a unit in the country, and when I say unit, I mean in the way they play like a team. Tharpe is going to improve too. Against several teams we play the rest of this season, Young and Wesley will have matchup advantages when they come in. This team has pretty big upside.

If they can get all the pieces, including four deep on the bench, put together it will be hard for any team in the country to beat them home, away, or in a neutral location. With that said, that's a big if but there is no doubt that if the coach of the year was chosen today, it would be Bill Self.

MinnesotaJay 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow, TK, you're working a tough room. Even sober, I find this piece, while light, interesting and entertaining.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

Yea, apparently the tough crowd didn't read the title... We all know how TK and hisarticle titles offer quite a bit of foresight.

The title being, "KUs Biggest Gains Tough to judge"... As KU has had quite a bit going positive of late it is a pretty wide open array of possibility, and therefore shouldn't be limited to one sport. This is actually a quality, upbeat article and reminds me of Jayson Starks' "Rumblings and Grumblings"...

So many, myself included bag on the lack of optimism and "Negative Nancy" articles, despite the realism view they sometimes entail (which looks bad and depressing in articles like KU to the Big East; as it reminds me of Chicagoans this time of year with such brutalizing forseen hopelessness... But this was a fine article. I appreciate the realist view in this case, being: we as KU fans have a lot to be excited about at the moment.

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

Let Nebraska host Kearney State....or the Washington Generals....and why did they waist millions of dollars building a basketball arena? Didn't they learn anything from Texas Tech or Mizzou? For the same money, they could have added some seats at the football stadium and actually filled them on game day.

The addition of TCU and A&M is going to make us forget even more quickly the kitties and the cornies. The only thing that we've really lost in all of this was the extra home game in Boulder.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

Two user names, blackhawk? Football and basketball?

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Changed to April 28 in honor of the new energy for football. Work computer still has the old login automatically set up. Hope you can sleep now.

NebraskaJay 2 years, 7 months ago

The City of Lincoln is building the new stadium, the University is leasing it out to play in. The sad thing is, they are adding to Memorial Football Stadium in Lincoln...adding about 8,000 new seats and suites. Nebraska has to try something to get their basketball program going. I say, if they give a good offer to Kansas to let them go and whoop them the first game in the new arena, then go for it...

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

What you have to realize is that their new barn won't be used just like Allen. Devaney is a dump, but it is forced to host a number of other events that can now be moved to the new arena. This is more like KC upgrading from Kemper to Sprint, albeit in a smaller city.

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Which came first? The Jayhawk or the egg? In J.K. Rowling's book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows" (pg. 587), I think she answered the question perfectly. "A Circle has no beginning."

Or is your question really asking, "How did the term, 'Jayhawk', originate?" Afraid I'm not a historian, so I can't answer that.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

"Accounts of its use appeared from Illinois to Texas. The name combines two birds--the blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob other nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird."

Looks like a happy bird to me. That's a big damn beak though.

milehighhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse has been that loud for 30+ years. Absurd premise.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

As long as we're entertaining random thoughts, did anyone else see a UFO southwest of Salina last Saturday night?

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

... spilled my coffee ... again, nuleaf. lol.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

lol - kureader - i appreciate your kind comments and glad i could bring a little levity to your day.

PS - Sippy cups are a cheap investment compared to a new keyboard !

Mike Nicco 2 years, 7 months ago

+1...To me, the "WOO" is highly disrespectful.

The chant is powerful, haunting and intimidating on its own. Adding the “WOO” cheapens it, almost sounds like your saying “My bad, I was just kidding. Sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

The “WOO”, playful, maybe? Inappropriate, absolutely!!

At the KU/Cal game last year, there was no “WOO” from us proud Alumni and we were in somebody else’s house!

Mike Nicco 2 years, 7 months ago

We got the names back on the football jerseys, now shoo the "woo"!! Lol

Steve Gantz 2 years, 7 months ago

Explain this cryptic message for me please.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

BOO to the WOO !

Let us purSUE an end to the WOO at KU.

I hope no BOO-HOO will enSUE.

kusayzone 2 years, 7 months ago

About the crowd noise....the Baylor game was twice as loud as the KSU game. I was there. Why??? There could be lots of reasons starting with ESPN and Dickie V being there or the halftime show at the Baylor that was just phenomenal, with the crowd was not letting up during half time as one of the Acrobat dunkers did a back flip standing on the top of the backboard to dunk the ball! Incredible.... The gold seats didnt fill until the final 3 minutes before the game started, but I saw a lot of enthusiasm from those folks,(even Roy wouldnt have complained about sitting on their hands) And most didnt seem to leave until the RockChalk chant rang through the air. And the 20 or so Baylor students sitting in the rafters got an education about what it is like to beware of the PHOG!

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

KSU game was held during winter break - few students.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

lol - most TV now is reality, so I'll call that a YES !

I'm glad it wasn't the other way around - your beard itches and you cut your toe.

Mice are nice. Twice as nice as ice. And they go well with rice.

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

Especially when sliced, but they must have no lice...

rwhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

They are all improved. That being said, here is my order...

Withey. He was awful last year when he played, so he rarely made the court after the early part of the season.

T-Rob. He was a beast and had the cliche "motor," but his basketball skill set has improved tremendously.

EJ. He was good last year (when he did), but it seems to me that he feels more comfortable playing his full game this year.

TT. His ability to get into the lane hasn't changed, but I think his shooting has improved tremendously and is an important asset to him this year.

Releford. I think a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I'm not surprised at all about his recent success. I've seen his game come out when he's played sparingly before and I expected as much. And his defense was strong before this season. I just think this is the first year he's actually getting to show us his game.

Marc Frey 2 years, 7 months ago

My son and his room mates from Baylor had a great time and are envious of AFH and the crowd. People were very nice to them. But I would agree that if there are less Alumni and more students in AFH the place will be louder. I have attended many games at other Big 12 venues and the alums sit on their butts. At least Duke puts the students close to the court I give them that.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

RE: BRADY MORNING STAR

“I said it at the beginning of the year and I’ll say it now: Those guys are the anchors of this team,” Marcus Morris said Tuesday. “People give me and ‘Kieff a lot of credit, but they don’t see what goes on behind the scenes.

“Brady and Tyrel are the guys that keep this team together.”

Accurate as it may be, Morris’ statement is one that few people outside of Kansas’ locker room agree with – or are at least willing to accept. Reed could score 12 points and notch three steals in a 14-point win, and radio talk show hosts would complain that he played too many minutes. Morningstar could shut down an opponents’ top player while dishing our four assists, but Kansas message board posts remain the same.

“I’ve seen some of it,” Morningstar said. “People are like ‘Why is this kid shooting so much? Why is he handling the ball? Why is he even playing?’ It’s always a bunch of ‘Whys.’”

Reed and Morningstar have learned to chuckle about the situation. Even though they won’t say it publicly, the players know they’ve been stereotyped because of their skin color. As white guards, they’re assumed to be slower, weaker and not as athletic as most of their counterparts.

“I don’t think they pass the eye test in some people’s thinking,” Self said. “They’re both very athletic in their own way, and their IQ is off the charts. They’re just so solid and dependable.”

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Good points. Thanks for recalling them.

Some still have a long way to go in seeing players as players and not as color-coded skin sacks full of prefab abilities. People never give any of the players the credit they deserve for how hard they work at becoming the players they become.

None of them are born great. All of them have to work hard at it. All of them constantly get better, or they get beat out and then cut.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

Sounds to me like Nebraska would like to be able to brag that they filled their new arena for basketball, and think they think the only way they can do it is to have Kansas come there to play the opening game. Screw that. They can put on one of those boring Big10 games before an empty house. If they wanted to play KU they should have stayed in the Big12.

Dear oxcal,

Yours is one of the most reality denying posts I've read in awhile (which is something considering what is being posted about KU football these days), despite the fact that you are often an insightful poster. :-)

The terms impact and glue for kinds of roles on a team are hardly new.

Nor is the idea that some guys are scorers, and other guys are not scorers a new idea.

Of course Travis is playing a glue 3 most games. The world isn't flat either. :-)

My more than fragmentary memories of basketball teams date back to about 1962. Since that time, every team every year at every level that I have watched, has had some guys who were scorers and took more shots, and some who were not scorers and took less shots.

Most nights, Travis takes significantly fewer shots that Tyshawn and TRob. Therefore, empirically, by FGAs alone, he is not usually tasked with being an impact player we play through.

But back to my recollections for a moment.

Even the coaches of rare teams that can field five scorers typically either choose not to, or choose to task some of the scorers with less scoring and more ball movement and defensive responsibilities.

Maybe you haven't read about specialization in human activity. You should. Specialization recognizes that some individuals do some things better than others. Specialization argues that it is better to have individuals do things they are best at more of the time, and let others that are not quite so good at that particular task do a bit less of it, or not do it at all, and instead concentrate on other necessary tasks they happen to be better at.

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad you brought up Withey in one of your posts below b/c he can be used to show the difference between role players, utility players, and 'invisible glue.' Every team needs role players who specialize at a task. Withey's role/specializaion is to rebound and block shots - both of which appear on the stat line. We can objectively evaluate how he is performing his role. You can't do that with invisible glue.

There is also a difference between a utility player/multi-specialist and invisible glue. Probably the best utility player of all-time was Lamar Odom with the Lakers (apologies to John Havlichek). If the Lakers needed more scoring, he could do that, needed rebounding and defense b/c Bynum was out, he could do that. And so on. Whatever Odom did during the game, however, usually turned up in the stat line, whether it was a great amount in one category or decent amounts spread out through different categories.

Invisible glue players don't show up in the stat line, i.e. Brady.

But this may be a simple dispute about nomenclature. If you call Travis a utility 3, I have no problem. The problem I have is thinking that invisible glue is real. Weren't many ancient structures built without mortar? Goes to show you that if you have the right materials, you don't need invisible glue.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Those ancient structures you ask about – no, not "many" were built without mortar, and those are the ones we now refer to as "ruins."

The glue doesn't have to be invisible, but you can't do without it, either.

StraightoutofWagnon 2 years, 7 months ago

Lamar Odom......best utility player ever.....apologies to John Havlichek?! John Havlichek (8x NBA Champion, 1 NBA finals MVP, 13 time NBA All Star, AND a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame) Lamar Odom (Released by Lakers......)

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

The goal of specialization is to get the best from every individual in the role they are best at and so raise the average level of performance to something above what would be achieved by everyone being generalists. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough that most every one tries to make use of it.

Specialization can be discerned even a few thousand years ago, though it has probably always been with us in one form or another. And specialization has been a strongly rising tide the last few centuries in particular. Specialization has persisted up to the present to the point that I know how to type on my keyboard, but I have no clue how to build a key board. I know how to participate in the web site, but I would not be good (without some training) at running the web site.

Nations, especially nation states, that have found ways to optimize with specialization, without throwing out entirely the benefits of broadly developing skills in individuals, have tended to flourish. Wars tend to be won by states that wield specialization the most effectively, while retaining some of the best benefits of utility players and grunts.

If you have never heard of specialization, then I can understand you being bumfuzzled by impact and glue.

If you have heard of specialization, then I am bumfuzzled at your bumfuzzlement about Travis being called a glue player this season.

Either way, you seem to miss the point of what Self talks about from time to time: impact and glue.

I frankly don't give a flip whether other coaches use the terms impact, or glue. I care that other coaches have some guys who do most of the shooting and some guys who spend most of their time enabling the shooters. Call it what ever you like. It is what it is.

Ideally, we want all players to be capable of impacting games, when needed; this is why Self recruits so many guys that can put the ball in the hole.

But match up advantages by position vary game to game.

Travis has been a glue man posting numbers remarkably similar to Brady at the 3 for much of the season, because MUAs at other positions vs other teams dictated KU could optimize by playing through TT and TRob and Withey. As a result, Trav (and EJ, too) have tended to play glue roles. Trav only takes 4 treys. He only scores about 6-10 ppg, etc.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Back in the day (1955 or so) my general science teacher explained the phenomenon of specialization thusly:

... from Renaissance men like DaVinci , we have progressed to a point where our most valued people know almost everything – about almost nothing. He went on to examples like Einstein (who understood this) and Pauling (who didn't).

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

But every so often, MUAs and MUDs (match-up disadvantages) favor playing through another player. KU played through Travis one game for sure a couple games back and he got 28, instead of his usual Brady-like production as a glue man.

Why is this so hard to see? Brady also had a few games where Self said, take ten shots instead of 5. Initiate some offense instead of just taking the open looks. Brady's scoring spiked accordingly in those games.

To say Travis is a taller, stronger and more naturally gifted impact player than Brady, is not the same as saying that Travis is an impact player this year. Of course Trav has not been an impact player most of the games this season. Why you would suggest he is an impact player boggles the mind. Everything points to Travis playing a glue role so far this season. Even his occasionally break out game, is consistent with past glue players.

Clearly, you are mistaking roles for abilities. You rightly think Travis has impact ability. But you cannot seem to get your mind around the distinction that what makes a player a glue player is not so much his ability, but rather the role he is assigned.

I once had the need for glue men explained to me this way and I have always found it useful. Perhaps it will help you through this sticky wicket you find yourself caught up in.

If every player were to play an impact role in a 5 man team, there would be no passing once the ball were inbounded. Whomever got the ball would wait for the rest of the players to clear out, he would isolate on his defender, and he would jump shoot, or drive to the iron and shoot.

There are some players so good that that is essentially what is done, when a critical basket is needed at a certain moment, and that great player holds overwhelming MUA.

But the reason this is not done all the time is that it foregoes a fundamental strategic advantage of passing a ball in 3 dimensional space to one of four other players at four different locations in space.

What is the strategic advantage of passing to four other possible players?

Put most simply, if a passer has four choices, the defenders of the four other players have to hedge their defensive positions in anticipation that the ball might not only go to their man, but to any one of three others. The amount of hedging of defensive position that has to occur to allow for all possibilities tends to put these defensive players in positions that they cannot recover from quite as fast as the speed of a crisp pass or two to their man, if the offensive spacing is sufficiently wide, but not too wide.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

A crisp pass moves so fast that an offensive player is often more open than if an offensive player simply operated in isolation.

It is the degree of openness that a crisp pass or two creates that means passing is something a team trying to optimize its scoring opportunities ought logically to do. It is a rational pursuit of net benefit. it is not infallible. But over the course of a game, it offers net benefit.

Next, it is self evident that passes move through space and that no two (or five) players can occupy the same space on the floor at the same time.

Further, different spots on the floor favor different types of shooting abilities.

If you have ever shot around on a floor, you must notice that you make more shots certain places and fewer shots in other places.

Further, you must notice at such a work out that some players tend to be able to make more shots from certain spots, while other players tend to make more shots from other spots.

Next add in that being exceptionally tall, or an exceptional jumper, lets you get more shots off in close, where percentages making a basket tend to be higher.

Right there, logic operates and biases shot selection toward encouraging tall men and good jumpers to take shots near the basket. Some times bigs shooting inside and littles shooting outside is so orthodox that we forget the powerful logic and net benefits underlying the orthodoxy.

Still further, there just are certain players that can make long shots, while others cannot. They come in all sizes, but the ones that we see shooting outside most are shorter players. Why? Because even if a tall player can shoot outside, he is apt to shoot a higher percentage inside, so a choice tends to be made. Let the tall players shoot inside, let the great leapers take it to the iron inside, and let the shorter players that can also shoot long take the long shots.

This is but one aspect of specialization-drivers operating in the game space of basketball.

But all of the above is preamble to why there are inevitably in the game impact roles and glue roles.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

If passing is a strategic advantage to getting persons open either inside, or outside, or in between, and there are five players on a team on the floor, then if you position a best scorer inside, and a best scorer outside, and a best score somewhere in a position to take it to the rim, then that leaves both a need to get them the ball by passing and two positions that could conceivably be tailored to be mostly passers enabling those other three players.

Specialization rears its influential head again.

Of your five players, are some of them better passers than the others?

The answer is usually yes, because there tends to be some asymmetry in distribution of all talents, not just shooting and passing.

So: who do you want shooting? Your best shooters, or your lesser shooters, if both can be made equally open by the strategy of crisp passes?

Next: who do you want passing to your best shooters? Your best passers, or your best passers, or your lesser passers?

Because it is rather easy for coaches to calculate in practice who their best shooters are at particular positions and places on the floor, coaches tend to make a first cut on who the impact players will be based on their shooting accuracy and ability to get off the shots at given locations on the floor, where shooting averages tend to be highest.

Hence, TRob is assigned an impact role, because he is money down low buzzer to buzzer, where as Conner is a glue guy even though he comes in and tries to pot some treys. TRob is impact, because he can do what he does against almost anyone. Conner is glue, because he is often not able to get his look, much less make it. Conner's job is to pass it to someone who can impact, unless he has a wide open look.

Next, coaches sort through their best shooters and say, well, here is the best inside guy, and here is the best outside guy and here is the best guy off the dribble guy--the three basic ways to score.

Now, among the remaining serviceable shooters not given the impact roles, they think, can I get more out of this guy in back up minutes in an impact role, or can I get more out of this guy by having him become a passer starting, and only an occasional shooter aka starting glue?

jayhawkmike 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow, another insightful post by Jaybate...I wish I only knew what he thinks he knows about basketball.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

It depends on the opportunity set of players and their abilities what choices a coach makes.

Last year, Self decided he could get more out of Travis impacting off the bench than starting him as a glue player servicing the more advanced impactors he had in the Twins, Tyshawn, and Selby.

This season, Self decided he could get more out of Travis by starting him as a glue 3 enabling his more advanced impactors--TRob and Tyshawn, except situationally where his impact players lacked decisive MUA, and where Travis did hold MUA.

But this glue vs. impact role is hardly limited to Travis and Brady at the 3.

Tyshawn played an impact 2 role as a freshman for a team that needed a third one.

But as a sophomore, Self obviously switched Tyshawn to a glue 2 role, when Xavier showed up, and it made more sense to score through Xavier than Tyshawn.

Impact vs. glue choices occur inside as well.

This year, TRob and Jeff Withey are our bigs and TRob is obviously assigned the impact role. Withey's job is to complement him, to be ready to do things for him that free him up to impact more, rather than less. He is playing inside glue for TRob. I don't see how anyone could not see this.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Of course Withey could impact way more offensively than he is, were he assigned an impact role. The first exhibition game of the season, when he had never really played diddly till then, and when TRob was out, Withey got a triple double, fer gosh sakes. Withey is an enormous talent, it turns out. He is just not as far along as TRob. And it remains to be seen whether Jeff can ever develop the upper body strength needed for today's game. But he could be a serious impact player right now, if TRob went down...not nearly as good as TRob, but he could and would do more than he is doing now in the way of impact offense.

Everything in organized basketball is about team roles. Most players could do much more than they show. But coaches searching for optimal trade offs in specialization say, "You do this for me and you can start. Don't do it and you're out."

So: to cut to the chase, you have to have some guys that can shoot the ball and some guys that can pass those shooters the ball. The more guys you have that can shoot well, the better off you are because it gives you options when your impact players get hand cuffed occasionally. But no matter what, there is a tendency for there to be impact players and glue players in basketball, because there are five positions, the game is played in three D space, passing tends to get shooters more open than not passing, and shooting and passing skills are asymmetrically distributed, so specialization of labor arises, impact and glue roles are the distillate, and net benefit improves team performance.

Self's genius at optimizing these net benefits, and modulating them game to game, is one of the reasons he can be your'n with his'n and he can beat his'n with your'n. There are only a few guys like this at any given time in basketball. When they can get ahold of even a few of the best players, they are very, very tough to beat.

There endeth the lesson.

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

You don't know how to "cut to the chase".
The lesson "endeth" because many of us routinely scroll past your endless, arrogant posts, though you may have set a new record with this one. There endeth the response ... will now resume scrolling.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Sure, like I am going to stop for a clone alias? :-)

Your're hilarious.

Hey, how about I clone a bunch of aliases and start writing:

"Jaybate...start. Just start!"

Join the pageant, you fop.

Counter posting is sooooooo mid Iraq war!!!

Haven't you heard?

We've turned the page on a decade of war.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

First, you are wrong. I cut to the chase frequently. And I cut there exactly when I want to, not when an alias like you wants. :-)

Second, your alias seems a classic example of what a friend of mine used to describe as a negative dick. :-)

As I recall his definition was something like: someone that cannot think originally, or effectively about the subject at hand, and so he disses others that do, rather than trying to learn something.

That fits you to a tee, doesn't it, kureader? :-)

From the few posts of yours I recall, I have gleaned you have little insight to offer on most topics of basketball, or otherwise, and remain steadfastly determined not to try to get better. :-)

You didn't say diddly squat about the content of my post in this case. :-)

C'mon, at least try to get better, will ya? Its basketball season. Can't your alias be a negative dick in the off season and a positive contributor during the season?

Still, I want to respond to your post anyway, because there seems an increasing tendency on the part of some on the site to call lucid thought clearly spoken, by anyone, not just me, and made at whatever length, arrogant.

This seems to me a dangerous trend for any community.

It means negative dicks are trying to normalize their own level of unsubstantial commentary as the standard of non-arrogant public discourse.

I have two standards of arrogance.

In my personal life, I systematically avoid being overbearing and go overboard on humility. It is my life and that is who I am.

In my posting I have learned to err toward being over bearingly right, or at least to try to be. Writing is a performance of a kind. We are all performers here. Some try to be more authentic, some try to be less so, but none of us writes here quite as we might talk over a beer with a friend. It is close sometimes, but it is IMHO not the same. The web site is a pageant in the old sense that word. It is also a logonasium, where I come to work out. I practice things. I try things. I experiment with forms. But while I am doing all of the above, I am trying to learn as much as I can both from thinking about the game, and from other aliases thoughts about the game.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

kureader still can't think or post content. :-)

This is huge fun.

RockCaCO3 2 years, 7 months ago

I get the irony of this post, and although I didnt read it, it's pretty damn funny.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

In writing, clarity is everything, because the point is to be understood at all costs. If I go long, it is because that is the path I choose to be overbearingly right and understood as such. If I go short, it is because that is the path I choose to be overbearingly right and understood as such.

In real life, being right is not so important. Being compassionate and loving and effective are paramount.

But in posting, being right is the point. If one posts and is incorrect, it is incumbent one admits it and learns what is right. If one approaches it any other way that I have been able to think about, posting is an utter waste of my time. If I either do not share something true, or receive something true from someone else regarding the sport of basketball, well, then I have squandered some time that I might have spent with someone real that I love.

But there is an obligation to temper the overbearing quest to be right in this pageant about the living myth that is this web site. If everyone assumes they are right; that is, if everyone argues as an ideologue without let up, then the point of shared discourse is missed. Each will learn nothing from the other.

So: I temper the quest to be overbearingly right with admitting errors happily, with taking joy in and praising the insights of others, and by frequently putting up with insipid, off the subject remarks by negative dicks like you.

So: in posting, arrogance, for me, is being overbearingly wrong, not just being overbearing. I would not care a whit about someone being overbearingly right. In fact, in this world riddled with fallacious thinking, and blinding prejudices, outright mendacities, and negative dicks like yourself, it seems being overbearingly right in public discourse is both civic duty and vital.

In part because of aliases like yourself, there are quite a lot more bull biscuits to cut through here than reasoned discourse would otherwise trigger. First, aliases like yourself often contribute responses unrelated to the post and so place significant poppycock in other aliases' minds regarding those posts. Second, when you do respond to authentic thinking and expression, you often obstruct and trivialize the same, because you apparently find it stressful, or beyond your ability. Third, you not infrequently endorse and enable obviously illogical points of view, points of view that baldly fly in the face of facts. Fourth, this category of posters rarely admits error. This almost guaranties that argument, rather than learning and edifying sharing occur.

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

continuing to scroll ... hoping you will "cut to the chase" soon.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

kureader still can't think and post content. :-)

Loving this.

Keep it up.

Please!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Think about it this way, kureader, how much more arrogant could one have been than oxcal was, when he demanded with annoyance that others stop calling Travis a glue man, when that is in fact exactly what Travis' role is. And then he never admitted his error!!! I was at least caring enough, and astute enough to notice and remark in my intentionally overbearing way that Travis could be an impact player, despite the fact that he had been playing a glue role. oxcal was not only wrong, but righteous about his errant, simplistic point of view, too.

As aliases like you, kureader, are simplistic about who and what constitutes arrogance.

I don't mind you posting your simplistic notions even when they attack me.

But I don't want to let a simpleton like yourself set any standards around this community about what is arrogant and then scroll on as if what you wrote has any credible substance whatsoever.

Your alias has little substance that I can discern. It doesn't contribute anything that has taught me anything yet, especially about the game. And I have learned so much from so many here.

How's this for cutting to the chase at the very end, which I do intentionally to amuse other readers.

Your response seems to betray a negative dick.

Capice?

There endeth the response. :-)

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I can be even more arrogant, righteous, and simplistic than that!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

I have alot of respect for you and your opinions, but when I see something this long, I just skip over it.

I guess I'm a simpleton.

Not a simpleton at all.

Why should anyone read any long posts if they don't feel like it.

Why should anyone read a short post if they don't feel like it.

I am glad you enjoy my shorter ones.

I am glad you are wise enough to pass on the long ones without trying to censor me.

Read the length you like.

It implies nothing about your intelligence.

Enjoy the board.

The board rats that are loathsome are those that want to stop others from writing about basketball the way they want.

What is it with our country these days?

It seems the less people have to say, the more they wish others to be censored?

How strange it is?

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

But there is no end to kureader not being able to think and post content.

:-)

Oh, my, you are a dull tool, aren't you, kureader?

Dan Harris 2 years, 7 months ago

My eyes are bleeding! mua's and mud's (explained in paranthesis) Stop already, I know I can just scroll down and I was until my finger starting cramping!

no malice intended

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, my, pooooor wittle jhawkjan, can't run his wittle finger over his wittle mouse scroller and get by jaybate's awful, awful, awful, long posts. Wa, wa, wah!

You formula bottle is almost ready, jhawkjan.

Perhaps if you quit sucking your thumb so much, then you would develop some callous and use your thumb to run your scroll wheel.

:-)

Dan Harris 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow I was just joking. One of the things I do like about your posts usually is that you keep things cival but I guess the times they are a changing.

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

... searching for "content" and "intelligence" in your last post ... ?

Joe Ross 2 years, 7 months ago

Ill ruin the surprise. You wont find it.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

A smily face doesn't make a rude comment funny.

jhox 2 years, 7 months ago

If I had to bet, my bet is that the Big 12 has an unwritten rule that you don't play defectors from the league. As far as playing NU in their new arena, I would have no problem with that. I would not play them in football, but I'd have no problem playing them in basketball under these circumstances. Unlike MU, they moved to a clearly better situation in the Big 10 and I can't blame them for that. In fact, I'm jealous of that fact.

MU on the other hand, the only way I would play them is if they would agree to play us one game in Allen Field House very year, with no return dates to Mizzou arena.

As long as we're going to be the strong favorite, I'd gladly play any of the defectors on our home floor, or as a one time exception to open NU's new arena (mainly because we'd likely beat them there anyway.) I would not play any of them in football, at least until we have a team that has a better than average chance of beating them. Playing for traditions sake makes no sense.

KULA 2 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of random thoughts, I hope these recent blowouts of our ranked conference opponents isn't an indication of the relative weakness of the conference. If one team can continually dominate a conference, how good can that conference actually be? And how well does playing in a weak conference prepare us for the tournament?

Great games by the Jayhawks, though. I hope I'm wrong and several Big 12 teams make impressive runs in the tournament.

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

B12 BB has been over-rated for years. Just look at last year's tourney. But, don't stop there. Only 1 school has won the BB NC in the conference's existence and only 1 other member school has ever won the NC. And the school formerly known as OK A&M won their NCs when Hitler was still alive.

It's one of the reasons I felt confident KU would beat Baylor. Baylor hadn't been tested nearly a faction as much as KU has been this season.

Over the past years I thought the B12's weakness would give KU false confidence going into the tourney. Not this year though.

KULA 2 years, 7 months ago

Add to that Big 12 appearances in the Final Four during Bill Self's tenure (1 or 2, I think) and you're looking at a conference with a mid-major resume.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I really don't try to single folks out and pick on them, but I do try to read and expect a modicum of reality in the posts.

This post of yours seems an absurd statement on its face. :-)

I don't ever recall the Big 12 being overrated over the course of season, or in tournament seeding.

Maybe I've forgotten.

I recall the Big 12 doing way better than expected some years and not doing any better than expected others.

Trust me. And you ought to know this if you live out on the West Coast. On either coast, and in Big Ten country, the Big 12 basically does not exist in people's consciousnesses.

So just who the hell do you think is overrating the Big 12 anyway?

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I am replying here to oxcal.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

You exaggerate – the Okie-ball heyday was post-war. Hitler didn't quite last that long.

KULA,

The entire Top 20 is down this year.

But the media gaming complex is still hyping all the same teams.

Have you watched Indiana? They would have been a tenth ranked team last year. This year they are among the best. And they are getting big time hype that they don't deserve either. Crean would tell you the same thing.

UK has the most talent of anyone that I have seen this year, but they continue to look just talented, not like a great team on the rise.

UNC? Uh, how about a 35 point loss to FSU? Overrated.

Syrexcuse is the only really solid looking team, but that is only because most coaches can't figure out how to attack the zone effectively.

KU will probably dismantle Syrexcuse, if we have a good night shooting the ball against them. And we owe them, so I hope we draw them early. Probably won't though, because we are going to win the B12.

The Baylor game convinced me that Self has finally figured out how to rip a 2-3 zone to shreds. Yes, Boeheim is a little smarter than Drew, but Boeheim has always been a one trick pony: a bunch of big thuggery playing zone playing through one star. Its why Boeheim has only won one. His system requires a super star like Melo, and even then it was KU's foul shooting that did them in.

So: don't worry about the Big 12 being down.

The rest of the country appears to be down even farther.

Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

KU won't dismantle Syracuse because Syracuse won't be get deep enough in the tournament to face KU. As much flak as Self gets for his tournament shortcomings, Jim Boehiem has made a living of getting eliminated in the second ir third round just about every season.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I am so glad you brought this up.

Drew is the least mature coach with balding hair I have ever seen. :-)

By this I mean Drew still coaches as if he were in his second year as a head coach.

He appears to be the quintessential coach's son living out the Peter Principle.

He has been promoted to his ideal level of incompetence.

I used to think Rick Barnes wasted a lot of talent.

But Scott Drew makes Rick Barnes look like John Wooden.

Every year KU plays Drew and Baylor, pretty much the same thing happens.

Drew sends his talented team onto the floor playing to its strength. Self schemes around it. Drew can't adjust. KU wins.

Sooner or later Drew will win one, as long as he keeps getting the players under the clouds that have been following him regarding methodology.

But if I were going to have a basketball coaching clinic and pick how to coach and how not to coach, I would pick Self, or a half dozen other coaches to demonstrate how to coach, but I would settle for none other than Scott Drew as my role model for how not to coach.

WilburNether 2 years, 7 months ago

This is what happens when a columnist has no legitimate subject to write about. Blank space would have been better.

Wilbur,

You raise an interesting point.

But what intrigues me most is that Keegs worst stories often generate the most clicks!

Does he know this and writes accordingly, when corporate tells him to ramp up the clicks a bit?

:-)

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

Since random thoughts seem to be the order of things today, did anybody else see the dude in the banana suit behind the basket? I may be the only one, and I'm not sure why I'm so down, but I just can't think of anything funnier than a banana suit...especially the way he was sort of boogyboarding during the free throws!!!

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, do you think it was related to the peanut butter and jelly chant last year at Baylor? (Family Guy reference look it up on the interweb man)

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 7 months ago

If Nebraska wants to play us, they should have stayed in the conference. Period.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

Linking louder crowds...Maybe it has to do with monster jams by TRob or last time Baylor came they disrespected us or maybe it is just that loud when college gameday comes and a top 5 team comes to town. I'm sure that seeing the guy next to you because he may or may not have paid to the williams fund did not come up in anyones mind (except maybe keegan's) of how loud someone thought they should be.

If I was NU, I'd take a win over a sold out stadium for the christening of my new staidum, but if they want a loss as long as we get some of the pie, who cares.

Nadir Tharpe is who we need to be the most improved player of next year's squad...I'm going with him.

When it comes down to defensive player for the team...the key is the "TEAM" is communicating well and when you have been holding teams to 13 points or around 50 points a game lately, you have to give credit to the balance of the defense. Clearly, people are playing tougher people, but in general (except when Tyshawn forgot what he was doing on one play) the defensive pressure has been great since the Davidson game. Even when ISU was making all of those 3s, you saw HCBS adjust and soon enough 8 made 3s in the first half changed to only 1 in the second half.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 7 months ago

With the Andrew White and the recruiting class coming in next year Nadir will be red-shirted.

JayDocMD 2 years, 7 months ago

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

"Because he is the only Kansas football player who has played for new coach Charlie Weis, is Notre Dame transfer quarterback Dayne Crist, in a sense, the team’s only returning starter?"

As much as I like HCCW, the team is still KU's team not HCCW's team. How can you possibly be a "returning starter" for a school you never never attended or for a team for which you never started? Come on Keegan, you can do better than that...

"These questions present a greater challenge than: If Nebraska makes it financially enticing for Kansas to be the first visitor in the opening basketball game played in the 16,000-seat arena set to open in 2013, should KU accept the invitation. Answer: no. The Cornhuskers left the Big 12, remember?"

Look at the upside: Take a boat load of money. Give the huskers a beat down while chanting "Remember the Big 12?" and setting all kinds of records. Become the team that won the first game ever at the new arena. Establish an attendance record that will never be broken.

I say...play them!

Re: Weis...

On this hand, we have Dayne Crist, a guy on gimpy knees who couldn't cut it at ND coached by a guy who went 35-27 at ND.

On this other hand, we have 30 kids run off the team; that's a quarter to a third of the team, right?

This is the strangest form of progress I have ever heard of.

And it cost us $6M ante plus $500K per year, plus however much more the assistants are going to cost.

Ugh!

Re: Nebraska...

Self and Sadler are Okie Baller Mafiosi. Other than that, there is zero chance we play Nebraska. We could make more scheduling a cup cake into AFH.

Joe Ross 2 years, 7 months ago

You just might be the most needy person Ive ever met. Hope youre not married cause I bet youre really clingy.

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey, jross. "needy" ... that may be the word I was searching for. it's more pathetic than the word, "arrogant" which was my selection until now.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

30 kids off a 4 and 20 team.....sounds about right.

jgkojak 2 years, 7 months ago

The bottom line is our depth problem won't matter in March. Barring injury, HCBS only plays 7 guys in March anyway. He only really played 7 against Memphis.

Our starting 5 is as good as any starting 5 in the country.

If Teahan and Young can contribute, we have ourselves a legit 2 seed who could deservedly play in an Elite 8.

I also throw out that if we had McLemore and Traylor, Withey would not have been allowed to play through his mistakes and become as solid as he is.

I hope HCBS learns from this team that too much depth can hurt.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Great job of distilling the situation.

Of course we are a Top Ten team, now that we are getting some experience as a team to go with our years of maturity.

On our hot shooting nights, no one in the country will stay with us.

But on our off shooting nights, I still think we have to get better at grind it out.

We'll get some chances to work on it right away.

After a 60% trifecta rate against Baylor, we're going to have to beat Missouri with grind it out, because the treys probably aren't going to fall.

Dan Harris 2 years, 7 months ago

Won't have to grind it out we will pound it out inside with our height advantage.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

U Conn had no depth last year. They had a man beast by the name of Kemba Walker.

KU has no depth, but they too have a man beast leading the team.

I give the Hawks a fair shot at the NC if they play hot for those 6 games.

Great to hear it.

I've been giving them a shot to win it for 2-3 weeks now.

I was getting lonesome. :-)

We can do it.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Now is the time for KU to build a domed football stadium that integrates some of old Memorial. It should have moveable seats. 150k for football. 75k for basketball. KU plays all its non conference games in the Domed stadium and all conference games in AFH. The partnership that builds the domed stadium adds an NBA franchise to the mix. Next, it bids for the Chiefs. Boom! Monster revenues. And so much seating capacity that there will be cheap seats for ordinary families, and the students can be moved near the court again at Allen Field House, because the team will make so much money from the games in the dome. Problems solved.

Next.

Joe Ross 2 years, 7 months ago

Now is the time for you to realize you are an idiot. Problem solved.

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

Play nice, jross. Idiot isn't right ... socially deprived, perhaps? Nah. Your earlier word, "needy", is still better than anything I've got

danmoore 2 years, 7 months ago

As a matter of principle, no to the cobs. Of course they would never schedule us to break in their new arena.

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

We opened Rupp Arena as I recall, so you bet for a big payday and half the tickets for our traveling crimson and blue fans, we'll gladly inaugurate the Tom Osborne Cornhusker Arena ;) In Columbia Mo. didn't we close out at least one of their recent arenas?

Loudest AFH moments: '68 Jo Jo v. Norm Stewart. '72 Bud Stallworth 50 pts. v. MU. then the year Sooners' Tubbs had Tisdale not sure the year, Larry was coach.

The quietest game was Danny senior year, I think it was KState and Mitch Richmond giving us our 11th loss, I was saying after that game we won't make the NIT, and it was sad here in Larrytown. the Vitale Nick Collison standing ovation game was fairly loud as well. Lon Kruger KState guard was really really good for you youngsters, those Jack Hartman KState games were loud. The favorite all time LOUD cheer is still "sit down Norm!"

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

I read this... odd article and started reading through the comments. All I learned is that Morningstar detractors are still stupid.

Get away from the 'glue guy' tiff for a sec. Brady was a career 40% 3pt shooter who also put in three rebounds and assists per game to go with a steal per game. Pretty amazing numbers for an unathletic kid who can't guard anyone, not to mention EXACTLY the kind of line you want out of a role player.

Worth noting: Releford's averages this year are quite similar to Morningstar's career averages. A much worse 3pt shooter at 37%, a better scorer (10 ppg v. 7 ppg), with steals being even (1.4 ~ 1.5) and reb/ast being a wash (Rele with 4/2 respectively v. Morn's 3/3).

Brady played because he was good enough to play.

imzcount 2 years, 7 months ago

JAYBATE , you have the best posts on this board! Wish I had more time to read them all.

p.s. I do believe you enjoy ticking people off though. :-)

JayDocMD 2 years, 7 months ago

Trying to decide why my comment was a "violation of user agreement." Was it the steaming pile of crap comment? Or the fact that I likened these articles to car wrecks. Perhaps if I write "no malice intended" at the end of my comment like some do ... sort of like a get of of jail free card.

Whatever the reason, I find it hypocritical for a newspaper of all organizations to censor free speech. Print newspapers are all but dead and online media is the only lifeline journalists have. Without the people that frequent these sites and give you repeated "hits" with comments to your articles (even if it hurts your tender feeling) the LJW dies.