Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hair and there, Withey changes game for KU

Kansas University center Jeff Withey (5) muscles his way past Baylor’s Qunicy Acy, right, on Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Jeff Withey was quick to accept a fashion tip from his boss last weekend.

“He (coach Bill Self) wanted me to get a haircut,” Withey, Kansas University’s junior center from San Diego, said with a smile, explaining the new look he brought to Monday’s game against Baylor in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It (hair) was too long. It was getting in my eyes. I think you could see that,” added Withey, who had a friend apply scissors to his locks Sunday night.

The amount of hair clipped was significant.

“I think I had to lose at least three inches,” the 7-footer said of his official height measurement changing after a visit from his barber buddy. “It felt weird tonight (running the court). I could feel the breeze.”

Feeling light on his feet, Withey scored 10 points off 3-of-10 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds in KU’s 92-74 Big Monday victory over the previously undefeated Bears.

He also ...

• Went 4-for-4 from the line to up his free-throw percentage to 83.7.

• Made a perfect bounce pass to Tyshawn Taylor that led to an acrobatic layup.

• Plucked three steals and blocked three shots to up his Big 12-leading block total to 56.

“It (effective play from Withey) changes our team a lot because we turn into a Baylor-type team and there is height everywhere,” KU junior guard Elijah Johnson said. “T-Rob (Thomas Robinson) brings the strength because he is going to muscle everything through and intimidate people.

“If teams are able to make that pass (inside), they still have to go over a 7-footer, who is athletic and can do just about anything. So when we get Jeff going, it really gets a lot of us going, and a lot of people don’t know that. Jeff is a key player to our team, especially with getting us started. When he is on track, it can be a long night for some teams,” Johnson added.

When Withey is on, he’s part of a killer inside combo with the 6-10 Robinson, who burned Baylor for 27 points and 14 rebounds in 35 minutes.

“Thomas makes the game easier for me, because he’s so strong. He moves everybody out of the way, so I can just go up and rebound,” Withey said.

“We knew they (Bears) were long and would be physical. We are pretty big too. I am 7-foot. Thomas is 6-10. Justin (Wesley) is 6-8 and Kevin (Young, 6-8) is a big man also. We match up pretty well.”

Withey, who had nine offensive rebounds on a night KU outrebounded BU, 39-24, brought great intensity to the court in his 30-minute stint.

“All the coaches tell me I’m too nice, I’m too laid back. Before the game, they try to get me pumped up,” Withey said. “Coach (Kurtis) Townsend is always in my ear saying, ‘Get mad. Go dunk the ball.’ My teammates are always trying to get me more aggressive. It helps a lot. I try to get into a zone.”

He works on controlling the glass at practice.

“We have a lot of drills. We get hit with pads, stuff like that just to practice rebounding,” said Withey. He averages 6.2 rebounds and 7.8 points per game. “With coach (Danny) Manning, we’re always going to be a good rebounding team.”

Withey’s biggest attribute has always been his defense, most specifically shot-blocking.

“Coach wants me to go after everything. If I don’t block it, I’m supposed to alter it,” Withey said. “I’ve always tried to go after the ball.”

Wooden list: Robinson has been named a John R. Wooden Award midseason top 25 candidate, the L.A. Athletic Club announced Tuesday. Others from the Big 12 on the list: Missouri’s Marcus Denmon and Baylor’s Perry Jones.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

Withey - the unsung hero. Why ?

1: his defensive presence and shot blocking in the post takes pressure off of T-Rob...which allows T-Rob to stay out of foul trouble...huge !!!

2: leading shot blocker in the Big 12...creates havoc upon opposing teams trying to score in the paint.

3: his length allows him to rebound a ton...especially when T-Rob is getting doubled up on block outs.

4: has very little ego...and is happy being a team player and creating chemistry with T-Rob in the post.

Withey - I hope you put on another 25 lbs of muscle for your senior year.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I apologize for a comment that is off the subject, but I've been wondering this for a while....

Has anyone heard from 100 lately? I don't remember seeing a post from him since preseason football articles last summer. I hope he is okay. I miss the obligatory, "Just beat [fill in the blank]" before every game and his constant upbeat and often inspiring posts. He's a unique voice on here, and I would like to see him back.

Perhaps he just needed a break and has taken some time away from the boards; I know I do from time to time. But if you know him -- and he is okay -- please ask him if he might consider posting again. I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying his words to compliment the Jayhawk news. Without him it kind of feels like we're missing a member of the extended Jayhawk family.

Rock Chalk.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 10 months ago

Incarcerated... Unfortunately, I really do wish I was kidding.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

100 had been very ill. His last post was in October. I'm afraid he may have moved on to the promise land. 100 wouldn't want us to mourn. He'd want us to celebrate, play defense, make crisp passes, go 40-0 and just beat........

EVERYBODY!!!

God Bless, 100!!

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. I did not realize he had been very ill. I hope he is alive. If not, he will have better seats for the games than all the money bags.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

C'mon you guys. It's a legitimate concern so don't throw crap out. Dead, in jail, relocated...someone show some credibility with some facts.

I too miss him and his wisdom. I always hoped that is ID "100" wasn't his age.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

What facts for credibility would you desire and expect in an anonymous lognasium? I agree that some of the suggestions are rude and inconsiderate. That being said, those that have followed 100's posts closely (as I follow your posts and expressions of life-threatening ailments last year and would greatly miss your posts as well) know that he had been battling last year.

That's as factual as you'll find here.

Other than the fact, that as a young man, I really appreciate his wisdom.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Blownjay. Unfortunately, I am afraid your conclusions are the most credible to me as well. Dying sucks!!

2 years, 10 months ago

I am not certain, but I think his screen name was a reference to the 100-point game Wilt had against the Nicks on 03/02/1962.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

2 years, 10 months ago

According to 100’s profile, he hasn’t logged in since 10/19/2011. I couldn’t glean any health issues from his last few pages of comments, however it looks like he was very supportive of Coach Gill. I hope 100’s absence isn’t related to the lack of our football success with Coach Gill at the helm, and his subsequent dismissal.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

100 was the best there ever was.

The best there ever will be.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 10 months ago

Big up to 100, wherever you are.

RCJHGKU!!!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 10 months ago

There will likely be a Dayton game (Cole's 3xD) where the opponent attacks the rim relentlessly, and Jeff spends the entire night swatting away shots. Most games will be more like Baylor where he just intimidates them into mostly staying away. The fast break stuff set the tone for the game as much as TRob's dunk, though not nearly as higlight worth.

TT & TRob may be scoring the pts, but it is Withey, TRel, and EJ that eliminate the response.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, Gary, for clarifying that T-Rob - Thomas Robinson.

I would have spent all day trying to figure that one out. lol

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you AtlJaybird - I was pretty close to going into attack mode (ninja garb to the ready.....) until I ready your reply.

It was just a good natured dig - and if there's a college hoops fan in the world that doesn't know who T-Rob is, they probably don't need to know his full name anyway.

I am journalistically (?) challenged and am ready to enter my local 12 step program to overcome that. Also, any post of mine will reflect a huge deficiency in grammar, spelling and punctuation but I'm holding my life together as best I can.

Thank you Jhaux (is that pronounced Jayhoe?) for bringing this to my attention. I will be diligent in correcting this atrocity asap)

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

"Jayhoe" LOL, so the attack mode did come out after all!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

"Jayhoe" LOL, so the attack mode did come out after all!

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey, ease up on nuleaf. His posts are great. I read every one of them. He has made me spill my coffee on more than one occasion. He has a great sense of humor.

rwhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes local stories go further than their local communitites, so its good practice. That being said, I did think the same thing when I first read it. Funny.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 10 months ago

I am glad Withey got rid of the hair. Was making me think he was a stoner lol. Oh and put on some weight this offseason!

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

Long hair=Stoner. Nice.

I guess we finally know why Jesus grew his hair out.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 10 months ago

I think "lol" implies a bit of sarcasm. And Bald Jedi obviously appreciates a lack of hair.

Let's all take a deep breath this morning, and lay off each other. Innnnnn. Ouuuuuut. There, doesn't that feel better?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

What in the world did baldjedi think of Pollard? If ever there was a Jayhawk whose appearance deserved similar narrow-minded judgements, it would have been Scot! But, then again, he obviously had no interest in what was said about his appearance. It probably fueled his fire!

Chuck Stones 2 years, 10 months ago

REALLY? - look at comparative pics from the last 2 years. Coach Hudy has done a great job with him.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm borrowing a portion a phrase from a former coach at KU:

"I don't give a sh%* about..."........the length of a players hair.

In fact, let's start a new thread. Kinda like the old "Yo' Momma's so..." contests. I know we've got a lot of things we dont give a sh^# about on this board.

Who's next?

I'll start.

I dont give a sh#@ about: running the score up at the end of any game.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

....about any other team in the Big 12 winning OUR conference championship.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

....about any other team in the Big 12 winning OUR conference championship.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't....TT's turnovers as long as he adds about 5-10 assists, 15-20 points, 3-4 steals to them.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 10 months ago

Hair length, no wonder that Dirk N. guy in the NBA sucks so bad

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

about our students shouting "overrated" at an overrated Baylor.

LSHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I was looking through next years commits and didnt see any true center types, ( 6-11 or 7 footers) do we have anyone commited for next year or 2014 that is a true center?

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

We have several 6'10 guys coming in but no seven footers. I honestly think we play better with two athletic 6'8 to 6'10 guys than we do adding one seven footer. Plus it's not so much the height self is looking for as the length. In today's era it's hard to get a seven footer to guard on the perimeter (see Withey). Make no mistake though, self has some very good big men coming in next year. It should be a battle for minutes.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 10 months ago

These are also 18 year old kids...They WILL grow.

Robert Brock 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm still in shock over Arizona beating us out for Kaleb Tarczewski. Tough loss. And I don't see any center prospects that are considering KU - unless Nerlens Noel casts aside Kentucky for the Hawks. Don't hold your breath.

Robert Brock 2 years, 10 months ago

Why would he? With that class, Zona is going to wipe out the Pac 12 and make Final Fours.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If that's the case, then why are you in shock? I'm not trying to call you out; quite the contrary, I am just interested in your take on it.

I was disappointed in not landing Tarc, but, to be honest, we are LOADED with bigs next year. We could run huge all season if we want to. Perry Ellis, Zach Peters, and Landen Lucas are all 6'8" to 6'9". And Kevin Young at 6'8" will undoubtedly add some minutes, and, of course, Traylor (6'8") will be eligible. None are a "true" center (except maybe Peters, albeit a small one), but Withey will be quite the seasoned veteran holding down the middle anyway.

So, you have 7 feet at center, 6'9 at the 4, then either 6'8" or 6'6" at the 3 depending on how big you run, and BMac could be in at the 2 at 6'5" (although, knowing Bill Self, I expect he will be running time at the 3 with Ellis splitting 3/4 time).... I'm not concerned, as we will be running very big at all 5 positions next season.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Sean Miller's a pretty darn good coach, so maybe not the coaching. To be honest though I haven't even thought of AZ this year so who knows?

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 10 months ago

Not convinced about Millers coaching ability, just his recruiting ability.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe Sean is getting his first dose of Multiple Ego Syndrome. Hard to coach a team when there are so many "I's"

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

Probably will end up red-shirting the following year, when he realizes he needs a little D-Man time.

middleoftheroader 2 years, 10 months ago

Jeff Withey was quick to accept a fashion tip from his 'boss' last weekend. “He (coach Bill Self) wanted me to get a haircut,” Ok I agree Self is ' like a boss' in the internet meme sense, but he isnt literally his boss. Am I being too harsh? I haven't had my coffee yet.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not for micro managing player's appearances, but a young kid needs some feed back at times, when he is not looking his best.

For what its worth, Withey probably stands to make a ton more money in endorsements if he goes with the clean cut look.

Good for Withey for listening to reason.

Once you sign the big check, grow your hair as long as you want it.

It worked for Bill Walton.

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

If his hair was adversely affecting his game, such as sweating into his eyes blurring his vision or outright obstructing his court vision, then getting a haircut is something that would help him play better which is good for everyone at KU.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 10 months ago

HCBS was in Charlottesville Va. last night at Miller School of Albermarle watching our newest Hawk, Andrew White. My brother sent a half page picture of him sitting in the stands from the Charlottesville paper this Morning.

Apparently he wanted to stay in touch with Andrew, but the article at the end seems to think he was there recruiting another.

Aftrer the Baylor game, I would say he picked a good night to recruit.

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow. We have Jayhawks everywhere. Nice post, lumpy!

dw3c 2 years, 10 months ago

He also made a stop in St. Louis yesterday afternoon. My friend works with the athletic director at a high school here and said he looked up and Bill Self was walking through the door. They have 3 superstar sophmored playing there.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 10 months ago

He might have been there to recruit Ahmad Fields. 6'5".

Uwe_Blab 2 years, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me, there's a kid committed to UCONN named Omar Calhoun!?

Does Jim have some explaining to do?

eastTXjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

are you (Uwe Blab) kidding me??

what's next, Detlef Schremph?? ;-)

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

Two great posts from lumpy in one day!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow. Brannen Green committed (#35), Sharp-shooter Conner Frankamp (#51) committed, Isaiah Lewis (#52) is looking like he will, and Chris Walker (#8) we have a very high chance of landing....

Goodness gracious, 2013 class will be LOADED.... Self may be looking at the number 1 class in the country if all these pieces fall....

But, yeah, dude can't recruit. Clearly....

yates33333 2 years, 10 months ago

AtlJaybird. Agree completely. Self and the coaches do marvelous work in getting the innate ability (talent) of these players to develop. I think this team will not fold in March as others with more hype have. Wouldn't it be grand if they were good enough to be in the final four. Dreams!!!

For some damn reason I can't get the reply tab to work on this page. Think it's a LJW plot or an old, cheap computer?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Thinking next season in the post TRob era, Jeff is establishing himself as that inside presence that's going to make Perry, Zach, Jamari, Landon etc.capable of having an even more enhanced impact than already anticipated.

I predict because of Jeff's presence, Perry Ellis will hit a boatload of 10-15 footers next season.

PS Other Famous haircuts: Samson Travis Bickle from "Taxi Driver" Sinead O'Conner Telly Savalas Marie Antoinette [from the neck up] Albert Einstien Moe Howard Edward Scissorshand Wolverine Rasputin Chewbacca

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

How could you have left out other Stooges, Larry and Shemp?

Joe Joseph 2 years, 10 months ago

So far this year Kansas has proven that it can play with and beat anyone on its home court.

Kansas is yet to prove, however, that it can handle a truly hostile environment. While I'm excited about the progress this team has made, I'm trying my best to contain my enthusiasm until Kansas can beat a Missouri, Baylor, K-state, or even Iowa State on the road.

When KU can do that, I will start to buy-in to the April potential of this team.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Imjustsayn!

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

They fought Duke to a standstill in Maui. That was an intense game as there will be in the tourney. If the past two teams had run the gauntlet this team has, there would be at least one FF and maybe even a NC banner hanging. This team is tough physically and mentally.

beware0fph0g 2 years, 10 months ago

Unrelated: Today is the blackout day to protest SOPA/PIPA for many popular sites. Please take 10 minutes out of your day to email your representative and urge them to vote these bills down.

Some sites that have blacked out in protest: www.wikipedia.org www.mozilla.org www.google.com www.reddit.com

If you are in Kansas, the three representatives contact forms are conveniently down right now (Yoder, Roberts, Moran). Take to twitter/FB.

Related: Withey is the perfect piece to the puzzle. Even if he doesn't touch a shot, he absolutely alters the way players around him take shots. They have to adjust with him around, and that alone is extremely beneficial. Combo that with a potential double double (and like someone said above) a potential trip doub, and that is one hell of a contributor.

Krohnutz 2 years, 10 months ago

I especially like how we recycle forty year old movies into "new" content.

Maybe they are confusing pirating for just watching the old version.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

But others should too.

Oppose SOPA and PIPA.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh man...I thought we were supposed to support those. Just kidding.

Anyways, everything I read is that there was no liklihood of it actually passing and if by some miracle it did, I heard that Obama was going to Veto it.

I think the work is done already.

I thought the google blacklist was stupid and personally, I think that wiki is going against its mantra; however, I guess if this gets through, than they could get sued for something someone cited on there without proper authorization.

jgkojak 2 years, 10 months ago

The Traylor/McLemore issue may have been a blessing in disguise- because no way Withey would be getting as many minutes/have the impetus to develop his game with those two eligible.

As it stands, Withey is forced to become a beast this year, and w/Robinson gone, starts at Center next year and dominates inside. He really could be a linchpin to make next year's team special, and this year we may be in for a surprise in March.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

You're crazy! 1) McLemore has nothing to do with Withey and his minutes at the center spot. 2) If you have noticed any sort of trend over Self's career it's that he plays guys he is comfortable with. No way would Traylor would be getting Withey's starting minutes. Traylor may have helped with KY or Wesely's minutes, but not Withey's

wtf45 2 years, 10 months ago

If you want a good laugh go to nbc action news kansas city and look at the new jack smack.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 10 months ago

Jack Harry is a buffoon. Any writer that casually calls fans by a derogatory term, in this case "beakers," cannot be considered a journalist. His analysis is a running contradiction not only on what he said in the past, but also in the same article.

chaggs 2 years, 10 months ago

has anyone noticed the subtleties of the team this year? Early in the season, it appeared the team tolerated being together because that's what they do. No body to offer a hand up when their teammate was on the floor. No encouragement for a free-throw shooter. No excitement. They were just going through the motions.

Since conference play started, that has all changed. Maybe it's the unified purpose of another banner. Perhaps it is the intensity in practice with Traylor and McLemore. Yet again, maybe it was simply allowing this team to gel. They are a team!

It's certainly nice to see, though!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Interesting...

Slant is reporting that they spoke with Shabazz Muhammad's dad (this reporter apparently has a good relationship with Ron Holmes, his dad), and he said Shabazz was DEFINITELY going to be visiting Kansas soon. Ron even said he was going to try to bring the entire family on the trip (brother Rashad is a 3-star Junior) with Shabazz. The most interesting part, though, is that Ron said the media who give updates on Shabazz are totally clueless and often wrong about what's going on with him.... hmm, maybe the Kentucky v. UCLA rumors may be a bit premature?

Here's a great quote:

“I’m going to come, my wife is going to come and Shabazz is going to come,” he added. “I’d also like to bring Rashad and a few others (family members). I’ve said all along that Shabazz would visit Kansas. I always knew Kansas was a great school, but the in-home visit really opened my eyes.”

Self's workin'....

2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the info, LAJayhawk!

p.s. Go Cubs! :^)

PurePierce 2 years, 10 months ago

Do we have a scholarship open for Shabazz? If not, where do we get it?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Just dial up Keith Langford and Justin Wesley is covered for another year.

David Robinett 2 years, 10 months ago

We can bring in Coach Weiss to create an opening :)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Unbelievable news about Shabazz.

Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony that after all the ups and downs, Tyshawn not only emerges as a true NBA talent this year but his performance and opportunity set in the Self offense convinces Shabazz that he will be the big fish in the big Kansas pond.

That would allow him to avoid sharing the spotlight with 10 other MacAmericans at Calipari U or playing for clueless Holland of the hapless UCLANs!!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Another recruit who's listed KU is 2013's #1 rated guy Jabari Parker. He's from Simeon in Chicago, which happens to be Derrick Rose' school. Some are calling him the best HS player in the country no matter what class. Self's got some work to do though as he seems interested in helping out local schools like DePaul or even Northwestern. But Bill can work his magic like someone mentioned with Shabazz above. Maybe we have a chance with him. Of course guys like him, Shabazz are likely one and dones too, so that tempers the enthusiasm a bit.

middleoftheroader 2 years, 10 months ago

..............[crickets]...............[crickets]

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

They get breakfast from Denny's along with Shabazz?

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Shabazz will probably choose KU.

Arizona will be too young next year for a title.

UK is always too young for a title.

KU will be just right.

The only reason for him not to come to KU is if he seriously thinks he can't beat Ben Mac and Andrew White out.

If he thinks he can, then he will come.

If he thinks he can't, then we don't need him.

Next.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

jb, my hackles are still alert every time I hear the word Villanova. My wife reminds me that the lingering anymosity stems from their student section chanting "Overrated!" at our Jayhawks back in the Miles/Simien/Lankford/Bill Self 2nd year. I still bear as much enmity toward them as I do Scott Drew and his classless pre-game maneuver in the fieldhouse two years ago. To wit, I don't like that Overrated stuff. Demeaning and disrespectful to any opponent, worthy or not. I hope our fans will bury that chant. I know that I will feel esp. ferocious toward Villanova and Baylor all my few remaining years.

coolhand357 2 years, 10 months ago

From a literal standpoint, it doesn't make sense to use the chant "Overrated". You are actually degrading your own team by implying the other team isn't a worthy opponent. Therefore... our team must be overrated as well.

Justin Millsap 2 years, 10 months ago

Considering Kansas were five point favorites and won by 18, you could contend that Baylor was overrated by the line makers too...

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Another feeling of animosity that I bear is toward the Big 12 turncoats, Nebraska, Colorado, A+M, esp. Missouri. No matter the potential dollars to be generated or lost, I hope that our athletic dept. avoids those vermin like the plague. Hopefully, I will have blazed out through a crematorium before we ever again schedule those institutions, esp. in the grand sport of Jayhawk Basketball.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

It would be great if we get Shabazz next year and Isaiah for the following year, as mentioned above.

It will get crowded again next year, with some redshirts and transfers possible. We will be deeper next year, but will TRob and Tyshawn are going to leave huge shoes to fill.

Assuming (wishing Shabazz comes), we'll have this rotation:

1. EJ
  2. Shabazz
  3. Travis
  4. Perry Ellis
  5. Jeff Withey

Back-up Guards: McElmore, Thaarpe or White Back-up Bigs: KY, Jamari or Zach Peters

Since HCBS is not going to go more than 9 deep; If Shabazz comes, one of White/Naadir won't see much time.

This should be a exciting prospect to Shabazz. He can be the scoring focal point on that team!

Krohnutz 2 years, 10 months ago

Debate Incoming!

So I was going around in my mind on this one:

If you had to say which Jayhawk has surprised you the most in development from last year to this season, who would you pick?

Most people would say TRob right off the bat, and while he has developed into a beast, I think we always kind of knew the beast was in there.

I'll throw some names out, and you guys sort it out.

Jeff Withey; let's be honest, this guy seemed like he had a tapeworm eating everything he put in his mouth. He played limited minutes, seemed like he was a decent player but not anything stellar. Now here he is blocking shots into the fourth row, scoring those much needed inside points, and rebounding like Betty White's career.

Tyshawn Taylor; the speed, the quickness... the suspensions, the fight, the twitters. Not since J.R. Giddens (and that would be the list), do I recall a player that you just prayed the offseason ended as fast as possible to avoid further incident. He still does the turnover thing, I get it, it is part of his game; but this year his mentality seems to be a healthy one in that he wants to go out a winner more than a weiner.

Travis Releford; possibly our best all around ballplayer not named Thomas Robinson. He went from role-player with probable talent to the wingman every team needs. He is not the best player on our team in any one category, but he is in the top three on EVERY category. You have to have guys like this to be successful. He is like a Toni Kukoc that can actually play defense. Yes, that's right Travis, if you read this, I just said you were our googly looking white European guy that somehow learned to defend, and your last name when pronounced correctly sounds awefully close to "Cool Crotch."

Anyhow, I'll cut the list there as the post is getting huge and the wife is getting frisky. Hope them Hawks keep the attitude and spirit rolling, it is contagious.