Monday, January 16, 2012

Weis announces dismissal of 10 Jayhawks from KU football program

Kansas head football coach Charlie Weis talks with media members on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Weis introduced new members of his football team and also announced players that have left the program.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Monday announced the dismissal of 10 players from the KU football team.

The players, many of whom played significant snaps during the 2011 season, fell into three different categories and were dismissed for everything from academic and behavioral issues to a desire to continue their playing careers elsewhere.

The first group — JaQwaylin Arps, Dexter McDonald, Darrian Miller, Adonis Saunders, Brock Berglund and Keeston Terry — was released by the program.

The second group — Jordan Webb, Tyrone Sellers and Tom Mabry — will no longer be a part of the program but will remain enrolled at KU for the spring semester and may consider playing elsewhere in the future.

The third group — Travis Bodenstein — informed Weis that he would transfer to another school.

Weis spoke to the media for 35 minutes Monday, his first such meeting with reporters since being named head coach on Dec. 8.

In addition to news of the dismissals, Weis addressed several other questions surrounding his program including recruiting, the hiring of his coaching staff and much more. Be sure to check back with KUSports.com throughout the week for more from this news conference.

As for the notables from Monday’s meeting, which also included a question-and-answer session with new arrivals Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Justin McCay, they included:

• Weis said the names will return to the backs of the uniforms for the 2012 season.

• McCay’s eligibility status remains up in the air but the school is petitioning the NCAA to allow the Oklahoma transfer to be able to play this season. If granted, the wide receiver from Bishop Miege High will compete as a sophomore and have three years of eligibility remaining. If it’s not granted, he would have to sit out this season and could compete as a junior beginning in 2013.

• Spring practices will begin March 27 and the annual spring game will take place on Saturday, April 28.

Be sure to log on to KUSports.com throughout the day for more.

Comments

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Loved the no-nonsense attitude. Sending a strong message right from the start. Exciting stuff.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Someone is in charge of Kansas football again!

When is the spring game?

Matt Bowers 2 years, 11 months ago

I will miss Jordan and everything he did for this team. I hope that wherever he ends up that he has a ton of success, he was always a class act and that is what we expect out of a Jayhawk.

Rock Chalk

Ron Prichard 2 years, 11 months ago

I couldn't agree more. Best of luck, Jordan.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Gotta agree with some of what you said. Webb is NOT a D1 QB. He's a great kid and I wish him the best. I truly feel like the names on the backs makes the players more accountable. IF the screw up people know! And yeah I memorized the player and number but a lot of people won't. I like the names. I think I know why you liked the no name and can see that point but for me I like em where they are seen. I don't think Miller was dead weight but he didn't wanna be here so better to let him go.

cheerio 2 years, 11 months ago

Pharmacists are known as great football talent evaluators, so you can all rest assured that we no longer have a non-D1 QB on the team.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 11 months ago

I can't see how Webb can put up the kind of numbers that he did in high school and not have the ability. I think it was just a reflection of the coaching being as bad as it was.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Who the hell cares?????????????????????????

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, I hope the team dismissals are not a source of friction within the team. It seems like they could all use one of those team-building retreats, maybe to Borneo or somewhere really remote to bond for a couple months...

Steve Brown 2 years, 11 months ago

Quantico would do with live rounds. The place creates Marines and FBI

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 11 months ago

I laughed my butt off reading all those comments attacking Keegan at the link you provided.

With few exceptions, everyone oddly seemed to assume that Keegan never even talked with anyone in the football program about Berglund so was just making stuff up. Yet not one told us how THEY "knew" he was wrong. Or explained how what THEY were writing was anything other than their own "opinion as fact"...even as they accused Keegan of, himself, writing nothing more than "opinion as fact".

Personally, I enjoy reading his columns. I haven't a clue who he talks with or how much. But I know darned well it isn't any less than me :-)

troutsee 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Keegan was correct and I was right there with him. I said in two or three posts that Bergland's heart was not in playing college football. I still say that. Actions speak louder than words.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 11 months ago

The names are back! So happy I am crying, now just bring back the red stripe on the helmet.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

Nothing else matters. Once I saw that I stopped reading.

Alex Berger 2 years, 11 months ago

I just have an image of you weeping in front of your computer.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

+1 pretty excited! Now guys know we all know who they are when they screw up too! It makes em accountable! DMiller leaving sucks though!

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Yea I am sure they will be shaking in their cleats. Yea, that was sarcasm.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Miller hitting the road seems like a case of "addition by subtraction", at least to an old fart who blocked a lot better for some teammates than others. His efforts (and they were considerable) were all for himself, with little regard for TEAM.

squawkhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

YES! This this is what KU football has become.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 11 months ago

"..were dismissed for everything from academic and behavioral issues to a desire to continue their playing careers elsewhere" Interesting. With all the people flipping on Twitter about some of this, I wonder if they saw this.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

It's a lot easier to take this line with someone else's recruits – CW will have his share of 'partial' successes, too. Commitment is a two-way street.

stm62 2 years, 11 months ago

Bring back the red stripe AND the BLACK shoes.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

You know, I never hear anybody mention the shoes, but I'm with you. I hated the white shoes a lot more than no names or no stripes!

David Robinett 2 years, 11 months ago

The first group includes guys I wish were staying...especially Miller.

Brennan Keller 2 years, 11 months ago

Losing Miller and Terry is going to hurt.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

This is a message to future 4 and 5 stars to be serious about Weis, school, Campo, winning and the strength staff before signing.

Not saying the Miller and Berglund and the others weren't serious under TG's watch.

But there's still a lot of top recruits out there who want to play for Weis, Campo and most importantly get strong and severely in top condition with Hosopple.

Tough way to do it, but there's no reason to lead someone on if they font fit the bill.

RCJ Hosopple!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

All part of rebuilding. If that is the worst part then I can live with it.

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 2 years, 11 months ago

That's awesome how the NCAA takes a year away from a player that transfers but a new coach shows up and starts cutting guys immediately. "Yeah, that was nice but now you got to leave..."

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

According to Weis it wasnt anything like that. He stated that he gave them opportunities to stay on the team and they chose not to. Some were gone before he even got to campus. Also, they can file hardships for things like that. However, if they got dismissed from the team for probable cause then good luck filing for that hardship.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Yep, they have to be in good academic standing and eligible to play at their previous university to not lose time.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 11 months ago

Yep, and with a coaching change if you have handled what you need to you cab change schools often times, right away... But let's complain and allow freeloaders that screwed up at school be allowed to leave and do whatever they want... That would be a disaster, do you know how many transfers there would be every year if this was allowed???? Unreal that topic is even brought up.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 11 months ago

Totally agree.....

Weis gets hired and immediately cuts Webb. Then Webb has to sit out a year if he decides to transfer to another D1 school.

The players totally get screwed over.

They need to change the rule. If a new coach is hired --then players should be able to transfer with no loss of eligibility, if they do not like the new coach or if the new coach does not want them.

What percentage of D1 full ride college athletes keep the scholarship all 4 years? Answer - 65%

Athletic scholarships actually cover a one-year period and are renewable for up to five years. The NCAA leaves decisions regarding scholarship renewals up to each institution.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 11 months ago

Completely agree the transfer rules should change because coaches change all the time without penalty.

GridironHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

The transfer rules do change and the NCAA looks at all situations including coaching changes, probations, etc.. They allowed USC players to transfer when Kiffin came in and they were put on probation. Also, the NCAA does not take away any eligibility for transferring. They just require them to sit a year and so can result in loss of eligibility due to the 5 to play 4 rule (hardships allow for 6 years for some athletes). However, with that said, the NCAA is a joke. They never are transparent in their rulings and seem to always play favorites...

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

I disagree. The scholarship is issued by the University, and therefore should be honored. I also believe is some cases you would have mass exoduses that could hurt the university even more.

I would say if there were some mutual decisions I think could be worked out. 1) Student in Good Standing and on pace to graduate on time, 2) cannot go to the same conference 3) Coach must release the player and must go to another team that has a scholarship (can't go on as a walkon) 4) Maybe some type of starter contingency...like if you've started 16+ games you don't get the exception.

I don't know, I just think a free reign isn't good for the school.

Steve Corder 2 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely disagree with Tecmo.

Without the transfer rule you'd have players leaving, or worse yet threatening to leave, for another school because they didn't like this or that about the style or coaching decisions, etc. Whiners and malcontents would not suffer at all if they could just up and move to another school. Is that what you want to see?

Are we raising high school kids to be prima donnas? They get a full scholarships, which 99% of the KU population doesn't get, meals (pretty good ones too), tutors and who knows what else. Should they get a guaranteed scholarship? What if they find out that their sport and competion was not what they thought it would be back when they signed that letter and thus decided to just be content to go-through-the-motions in practice, look good in a uniform, and party out the reamining years on athletic department money.

God forbid they they don't like the new coach after all of 45 days. I thought high school kids were also attracted to the school. Don't we like it when a prospect or current player talks about how they love the school?

Too bad about Webb (or anyone else), but he has to compete if he wants a job. He had to know what was coming with the recent changes. If he wants to be the Jayhawk QB then prove it on the field or stay and be a back-up, or compete for another position...just show a coach you want to compete for a job and be a Jayhawk! I wouldn't want a kid who didn't have the guts to compete.

Let 'em go get a government job and a government pension if they don't want to compete where everyone runs the risk of being replaced if they can't or won't "measure up". Excellence demands the acceptance of risk!

Poor KU (2-9) football team. Charlie must be one cold hearted, mean old man.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

Heard Webb was graduating in May, and could pull a Crist. Maybe he would head to Liberty?

Lonnie Ross Dillon 2 years, 11 months ago

Who said Webb was cut? Maybe he saw the talent coming in and decided he would be better off somewhere else?

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Charley Weiss was the one who made the announcement ...

It's a cold world out there, and if Webb can finish a degree this spring under full scholarship, he's still a lot better off than most.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey, look at that. An official announcement on Darrian Miller.

BTW, KUSports tweeted this: "Weis said KU did have some severe academic issues. But KU also had more than 30 players on the honor roll."

Sounds like several of the dismissals were due to academics. Glad to see that Charlie is going keep a high bar on this and force players to follow it.

And there you go, KUSports.com posters. You're biggest issue has been cleared up: the names are back on the jerseys. rolls eyes

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm with you. I've never understood why no names was such a big deal!

rwhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I think it was less about names and more about the general dissatisfaction with losing. If Mangino had taken them off and then won the Orange Bowl, then I think everyone would have been angry had Gill put them back on and lost. But that's just my own theory.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

there's probably a lot of truth to that

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Kyle Cornish 2 years, 11 months ago

Who is going to be the backup if Crist gets hurt?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

We do have other QBs on the team. And Seth Russell, the 3-star 6'4" 195 lb. 25th rated duel-threat QB out of Texas committed a while ago. Someone will emerge as a backup. But I'm guessing the coaching staff will have to have practices first to determine that. :-)

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

We still have Michael Cummings who lit up the Spring Game last year but red-shirted. Blake Jablonski was making noise last spring also, but he was a walk-on so no clue if he's still on the team.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, Cummings was one I was thinking of, but couldn't come up with the name when I posted. We'll have options. And at the end of the day, it's pretty clear Charlie told Webb he wasn't going to get playing time, so Webb is heading out. Pretty clear that Webb doesn't want to be the backup. I'm sure he'll end up transferring somewhere once this semester is over.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 11 months ago

Please get your facts straight.

It was Jablonski who played well last year in the Spring Game...

Spring game = Blake Jablonski, a redshirt freshman from Wichita, Kan., was eight-of-13 for 76 yards.

Jablonski is still on the team and was on the travel squad last season.

Cummings was a freshman and reported in the fall - never played in the spring game....

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

I apologize. Reguardless, Cummings was tearing it up during the preseason. I remember hearing his name a lot. I believe he and Miller were the most talked about coming in. Then Gill said that it was Webb and Mecham, and the others werent even close. It makes you wonder though....

TXJAYHAWK7 2 years, 11 months ago

There will be some good competition at the qb spot this year Redshirt freshman Cummings actually ran the scout team this year. Jablonski is a competitor I wouldnt give Crist the job i would like to think he has to earn it. The coach would want to play the best player at every position so if theres someone out playing him he may be a 5th year back up.

Micky Baker 2 years, 11 months ago

Michael Cummings, Russell, and others. If the players aren't going to be happy here, then they probably won't perform well here.

Let's also be clear. There was no discipline on this team with Gill. Discipline is what gets the little things done, and one does have to question what Gill was thinking by red-shirting Jablonksi or Cummings, whichever one had the great Spring Game. But, with that said, we also have Matthews.

Ryan Sullivan 2 years, 11 months ago

Your mom. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good question. Can't blame Webb for leaving, assuming it was his choice, which it may not have been. Guess we're either having a freshman as the backup or one of the former QBs turn WRs.

kwhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

weaglehawk.....you beat me to it!

I don't know....Mecham graduated, Berglund and Webb both leaving. Here's to putting all of your eggs in one basket.

VaJay 2 years, 11 months ago

It's early! Geez. The way he's recruiting I'm comfortable with a few more open spots to pick up some blue chips.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 11 months ago

Hate to see some go but it is the nature of the situation. Names on the back of the uniforms is a nice move---love it!

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 11 months ago

Addition by subtraction? It doesn't seem so in many of these cases.

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

You can't make that statement until we find out what our finalized recruiting class looks like. Weis said we'll have more transfers with immediate eligibility as well so that wont happen till the school year ends. Also, our defensive recruits are visiting this weekend since we didnt have a coordinator/staff assembled yet. So dont be surprised if we have a few defensive commitments come next monday.

GraniteHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Saw on rivals that Kenneth Crawley now has OU and Ohio State listed as potential schools and KU dropped to "low" or "none" for interest. This would be a big miss, but is confusing give his tweet about Campo. Anyone have more / better info on this?

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

Not sure, he was posting pictures of Marylands jersey's today. Which leads me to believe he is visiting there today. We'll see how it works out after his visit this weekend. It would seem as though recruits have been very impressed with the Oread. Having that built seems to be having a big impact, as i've seen quite a few say its the nicest hotel they've ever stayed at. Im excited to see just who he has coming in this week. The emphasis on having a lb coach hired leads me to believe that Schyler Myles might be visiting. He is a guy Weis has been pushing pretty hard for.

Alex Berger 2 years, 11 months ago

Pierson and Bourbon getting more snaps is definitely not a bad thing tho.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree, but why does everybody keep forgetting about Sims?

Matthew Del Vecchio 2 years, 11 months ago

Sims is solid but Miller has big play potential every time he touches the ball.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Put Pierson anywhere on the field------anywhere----make him the referee if you have to, and please get this young man the ball in the open field!

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 11 months ago

well, i really liked Darrian Miller as a recruit and a football player...but at the end of the year something happened. He was suspended for the last game, and basically hasn't been heard from since (sans Twitter of course).

we obviously have plenty of RBs...and it sounds like we got a dandy recruit.

Keeston Terry had a decent frosh year...but got hurt. and then this year, he didn't really develop....he got burned a lot....so it would seem we could do better.

Saunders has good speed, but again, did he make any memorable football plays? did he develop at all? same with Dexter McDonald.

we all know the story of Berglund...he never wanted to be here. Gill should have kicked him off the team before the year started. TK had it right on this kid....but what a strange relationship that was with player and program. Arps was never a factor.

so CW got rid of some kids that really didn't want to be here....and we're bringing back and getting new kids that do...and our QB play has been improved a bunch. Our recruiting class has a chance to be great in quantity AND quality....a very good day.

Go Jayhawks!

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

Plenty of RB's? Bourbon has proven to be injury prone so how much will he actually play? Right now, KU has two RB's that have shown the durability and skill to make an impact at the D1 level. We don't know what the JuCo RB is going to do or what the redshirted kids are going to do.

Keeston Terry was becoming a very good player by the end of the season and was the best ball hawk KU had last year. He is going be the hardest player of the ones leaving to replace for Weis and Campo.

Just about everyone else were freshmen from Gill's class last season which is going to hurt the depth of the team 2-3 years because of the lack of upper classmen that will be around at that time that will have been in the program for 3-4 years to lead the team as seniors.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 11 months ago

Icjayhawk- ballhawk is term describing players or defenses that have players with a natural ability to close on the ball.

For instance ESPN (just yesterday as a matter of fact) had an article stating "The 49ers and Giants both have ballhawking defenses".

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

They all had a chance and choose not to do what was necessary to be a part of the team.

And now we don't just have Reggie doing a fabulous job recruiting, but Rob is walking through most any door he wants. There won't be a problem getting players now or in the future.

Cmill1221 2 years, 11 months ago

Depth won't be a problem. CW has shown he is going to go after anyone that can play. Including JC transfers. And running back we are fine. We have sims, AP, BB, and sands can line up back there also. Not to mention the JC transfer and any other freshmen.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

There were some redshirts, as well. RB is the position most vulnerable to injury – you can never have enough in the pipeline. DMiller was a talent, but not a great addition to the TEAM, so only fans of American Idol will miss him – or BBergman.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm confident that Weis knows he'll need a back-up quarterback.

He mentioned that he has a lot of recruiting yet to do. Significantly, he also mentioned that there may be more Crist-like transfers to KU after players graduate in May from other schools.

This team was one of the worst football teams in college football - two-years running. Things have to change. Expectations have to change. And, yes, players will have to change. I absolutely loved the look of the three players he had at the press conference.

Loved just about everything that I heard.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

If guys weren't going to class or taking care of their academics, that would kind of fall on Coach Gill wouldn't it? I mean, it happened on his watch.

jhawk613 2 years, 11 months ago

the guy is gone. move on please.

was it Bill Self's fault when the basketball team fought the football team? was it Self's fault when the Morris twins shot someone with an airsoft gun?

At some point you need to realize that these kids are now adults and it is their choice not to value academics. Each team should do their best to stay on top of them and help them succeed, but do you expect Gill, or Weis for that matter, to walk each kid to class personally?

drnater 2 years, 11 months ago

Whoa, your comparisons are a bit over done here. I know the basketball players have sign in sheets for the classes they go to. (either that or they just have an older gentlemen who wants an autograph everyday. lol) So, yes in fact academics are the coaches responsibility. They are given mandatory time with tutors, study time, etc. If the coach doesnt keep up with that then he is failing as a coach. I believe this was one thing Weis hammered on. If you only do certain things right and wrong, and you preach right and wrong your a hypocrite. It would seem with the new coach coming in, Gill is starting to look a bit like a hypocrite. Even though he's gone, you cant just overlook the fact that there are problems now that he's gone.

txjhawk77 2 years, 11 months ago

So your saying that the kids are adults and the coaches shouldn't have to police them! If they fail academically doesn't the responsibility still go back to the coach and the staff that recruited kids that weren't ready to be adults then? Now it's probably given that the kids won't all be ready to be adults, but that's why the coaches have to do the follow-up or be willing to shoulder more of the blame.

I like the attitude by Coach Weis - perform or find somewhere else to play.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 11 months ago

Agree.

Metabolize before you scrutinize. Or metabolize before you excrement, guys.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, but they had SPEED – the only thing that made Gill turn a blind eye to lack of character or otherwise not fitting the image he tried to project.

cool_beans 2 years, 11 months ago

as of right now the only thing that matters is who signs on feb. 1. then that's when we'll know that kind of potential this team will have.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 11 months ago

I like it. Names for jerseys. No nonsense program. Bringing in recruits. And yes, I like the recruits, never said I didn't... Still cautiously optimistic. Could still be a losing season with some sweet highlights next year. But bowl eligibility could have a slight chance in the mix. What is this strange feeling inside me? This is strange...is this the presence of...optimism? A presence I have not felt since...

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 11 months ago

Also, glad to not read Pick's name on that list. I always liked that guy.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Who knows, maybe he'll get a second look at back-up qb. Probably a long-shot but I never felt like he got a fair shake.

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 11 months ago

Watch the West Virginia situation. If they can't leave this season, that opens up another non-con. 6 wins is not out of the question!

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

I think the 5 wins you are seeing are all pretty sure. Stealing another one somewhere along the way is very possible, maybe even likely.

The development of the program could even go better, long term, with a 'close but no cigar season' starting out, and keeping a chip on the shoulder.

5DecadeHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

"The fist group — "

I'm trying to figure out if "The fist group" had issues about getting into fist fights and that is why they are being dismissed, or if there is a more disgusting story Matt Tait is trying to hint at. :x

middleoftheroader 2 years, 11 months ago

My first reaction to the article was...only 10? dang.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

Practices haven't started, don't be surprised if we lose a couple more.

Lanny Welch 2 years, 11 months ago

Now that we have names back on the jerseys please bring the red stripe back to the helmet. Thank you.

missmagoo 2 years, 11 months ago

I would like to "like" this times infinity. This sends the right message and now these players know not to mess around with this guy. And woooohooooo for the end of the Brock Berglund drama. I'll drink to that! Cheers Jayhawkers.

kudzutexas 2 years, 11 months ago

It's kind of funny that TK got drilled for his article on Brock Burgland. I even thought he was too harsh. But, he was right and we're all eating crow. I bet he couldn't quit smiling at the press conference.

Stan Unruh 2 years, 11 months ago

TK was absolutely correct. What ever happened to Berglund's assault trial?

bad_dog 2 years, 11 months ago

In all fairness, TK turned out to be correct. Let's not forget however, TK made that prediction under Gill's regime.

Would Berglund still be here if Gill was still at the helm? We'll never know, but I suspect he would be. At this point it no longer matters.

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

Most people didn't have a problem with the topic of that article, most people had a problem with the way the article was written because it's wasn't written in a professional manner and was making the issue personal instead of being objective about the scenario.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

The issue WAS personal, and Keegan isn't the one who made it that way. As a person, Berglund never measured up to his own hype, and TK and I were two of the few who saw it that way from the day spring practice started without him filling a jersey.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 11 months ago

All I could think of was 10 more recruits in our class now. When new coaches arrive players always leave and it sucks, but that is how it goes. Sadly as good as Miller is with our RB depth we will be fine. Personally I hope Bourbon gets more carries now. We have young QB's that can be backups so we are okay there too.

Sounds like Weis is making sure he has his type of players on this squad so we shall see what happens. Oh, and not that having names on the back of the jerseys is the biggest deal in the world, but I hope we don't see those white helmets every again.

Steve Brown 2 years, 11 months ago

If I'm bringing in any 5th year guys in May I have to save room for them as they count. I told you the numbers will be in the 20's and they are they are higher.

Look it, we can use help everywhere, there isn't one position on our team that I would say, "Hey we don't need help there."

In every case where a player is gone, they had opportunities and decided not to take advantages of them. Each situation was unique, one was gone before I arrived, rest of guys left for variety of reasons.

Steve Brown 2 years, 11 months ago

Names on jerserys couldn't give a flip, recognize you folks care, so be it.

I do care about the digits on the scoreboard.

KU Band, time for some NEW songs!!!! old stuff got to go.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Wrong times 2. Great uni's and the songs could not be better. Unfortunately, the highlight of the game too many times to count.

captku 2 years, 11 months ago

sorry guys. Crimson, blue, and ... black? Really? I never did get that color. Maybe it is just me.

captku 2 years, 11 months ago

Still way better than Stanford anyday, though!

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

And for the love of god can we please put some names on the band unies. With all those marking formations I can't tell who's who.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh, I get it now – he was making sarcasm at all the fans who think football is only about personal recognition.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

In listening to his press conference I was reminded a lot of Larry Brown's press conferences. Incredibly forthright and straight up. Always enjoyed listening to LB's conferences and think I'll enjoy CW's as well.

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 11 months ago

I view some of these dismissals as opening up some slots for scholarships for sure. Perhaps there is a lot of interest in KU and our coaches want to have slots for talent. Great move!!

Let's have TRobinson play receiver, how cool would that be!! It is crazy but would probably add 10,000 to the stadium.

Eric Bernauer 2 years, 11 months ago

Drats, Berglund leaving is like losing Manning/Vick/Tebow all at once. Oh, how will we survive?

Kevin Randell 2 years, 11 months ago

Party at Memorial Stadium April 28th.....who's going to be there?

april28 2 years, 11 months ago

Even changed my handle. We need an all-time record attendance at this game, folks.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

Weis had a 100% graduation at Notre Dame, I doubt he'll want to start this program, with less than that as the goal.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

Disappointed at some of the departures. Right now we need upperclassmen more than unproven freshman. Good for the long run though.

Marc Frey 2 years, 11 months ago

People lambasted Keegam for saying that Berglund would never play at KU. Hmmm shuts some of the trolls up.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps. You have to look at it as a combination of the off the field issues in combination with the changes in coaching. On to the next one.

Micky Baker 2 years, 11 months ago

Keegan had no clue when he said it, and Keegan also thought that there was no chance that Gill would be fired, and if Gill hadn't been fired, Berglund would probably still be at Kansas.

Tait is the hardest working, most ethical, and the best writer at KUSPORTS.com.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Keegan has a lot more things right than any poster on this board but doesn't soft pedal the hard spots enough for some of the pansies who don't want to hear it.

Want proof TK is a genius? He agreed with KU62 about Bergdung from about day three. There you have it.

rob4lb 2 years, 11 months ago

While I do like the decisiveness in some of the decisions, there is some collateral damage that makes me a little sick. I feel bad for someone like Jordan Webb. Was he effective? Not really. But the entire team was bad. From what I have read, Webb worked his tail off during the off-season. He tried to assume a leadership role on the team. He was never in trouble and probably defined what a student athlete is.

I'm sure that Webb never realistically believed he would play in the NFL, so I assume has focused on his education. That is completely disrupted. There is something wrong with these rules where the athlete becomes collateral damage. Imagine being half way to a degree and having to make a decision to transfer or stay and lose your scholarship.

april28 2 years, 11 months ago

I may be wrong but I think that Webb may be one of the players Weis was referring to who may be graduating in May and transferring. This is just a guess.

I share an appreciation for Webb's effort and commitment and wish him well - whatever path he decides to take.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 11 months ago

Completely agree April! Love a girl that knows her football! Lol jk, I know ur username is a reference to the spring game.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess all your professors must have Ivy League degrees. Contrary to prevailing views in those parts or along the Left Coast, none of us deserves to have only the most rewarding of experiences. It takes a pretty level head to get through college these days without losing your concepts of reality and integrity along with your virginity.

Jordan Webb had a year on scout team, two years as a player, a full ride through next May to finish a degree. I'd think he probably realizes how fortunate that seems to 98% of the college students around the country.

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 11 months ago

I say letting Jordan Webb go is an honest evaluation and an opportunity for him to play. He wants to play and the coaches told him, 'not going to happen'. Better than a Mack Brown move.

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 11 months ago

For Webb it is unfortunate but I don't really think he a Big 12 level QB. If he wants to continue to play he would have a better chance at a smaller school or going down a level of play. Berglund has been a problem from the start and Gill catered to his situation. He may have been a nice player but may not fit what Weis is looking for plus the off field head aches weren't worth the hassle.

Miller - nice RB but sounds like he had issues even with Gill. KU is deep at that position plus the addition of the juco back makes his situation not a big deal.

Terry was a disappointment but I would have liked to see what he could do with a different staff - even maybe switching him to WR.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Judging from locker room reactions, you've figured out what many of us knew from the second time he broke a date with KU football. Sayonara is the best thing to say about him, and may also turn his future in a better direction, unless he's too dense to know more about himself than he did two years ago.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

What a great idea.

Come in and S-can a quarter, or a third of your team.

Who needs players, right?

Why not S-can the whole team?

Boy that would really scare the incoming guys, right?

No wait, at this late date, it would be tough to replace 3/4s of the team with new recruits.

S-can the rest of them next year, right?

:-)

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

If you were to go back over the last 10 years of KU football, I bet you'd find 3-5 players transferring out ever year, so this isn't even that high a number. Not sure if you recall, but the basketball team has lost quite a few players over the years, names like Alex Galindo, Micah Downs, Quintrell Thomas, on and on. Not really sure why you have such a problem with this.

kugrad93 2 years, 11 months ago

Mangino ran off a lot of guys his first year, as did Mason. This is nothing new.

esque 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm gonna go on the record and say it now, I didn't feel any better with the announcement of Weis as head coach than I did when Gill was announced. While I'll hope for the best I am expecting far less than most of you here. I predict KU will be in the same boat in 2-5 years in terms of searching for a new coach. I truly believe that, once again, it is the wrong hire.

Again, I'd be more than happy to eat those words in a season or two, but I do not see it happening that way. Long term, Dave Doeren might have been the better hire, certainly Larry Fedora. We shall see.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

I am going to go on record and say it now. You are wrong.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Pretty sad. We have the most intelligent fans when it comes to basketball but when it comes to football the focus seems to be on what our uniforms look like. Pathetic!

kujayhox 2 years, 11 months ago

the uniform talk is just something that comes with the offseason, but the negative talk about the football has always been a huge headache for me. it pains me to see our fans have either extremely (pretty much insultingly) low expectations or ridiculously high expectations. either way, it seems like a lot of people will not be happy regardless of how we do this coming season. oh well.

i am excited about ku football; i always am. i cant wait to see if the product on the field will be better. i expect the players to go out and look more like a football team and less like pick up game on thanksgiving. assignment sound football alone will keep us in more games this year. i cant wait to see what kind of team we field

bad_dog 2 years, 11 months ago

Mulatto? You're kidding, right? Sure there's no black blood coursing through your "birther" body? It only takes one drop, you know...

yovoy 2 years, 11 months ago

Gotta be kidding or socially retarded.

I was sort of liking the tone of the other posts as it sounded like '62 sort of knew what he was talking about. Then this post. From 60 to 0 in the time it took to type it (insert sound of screeching tires here).

KU62, I truly like the almost jaded/ticked off tone of your posts, but keep to that. Keep the sarcasm. You're good at it, just ditch the old-fascist, er, old-fashioned talk or go to the politics board.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 11 months ago

Agree 100% if u can agree more than 100% I would... The sympathy towards everything is foolish. This isn't basketball, its beyond obvious that Bergland wasn't going to return. After you decide to stay at home your (would be freshman year), that pretty much makes it incredibly unlikely that you will come back as a sophomore (technically a freshman in eligibility- I realize, thanks)... I woulda put it at a 1 in 10 chance after hearing Weis was head coach, and a 20% before then... But, praise Keegan (sarcasm intended).

Jaybate- the majority of schools lose 15 players due to transfers when a new football coach comes in as football is a scheme oriented sport on both offense and defense. Pairing Manning would not have fit in Floridas offensive scheme when Tebow was there, whereas LeBron would have been a fit for any school... Keep searching for reasons to hate... It's not working and your football iq is clearly shown in your anti-Weis remarks.

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

House cleaning! Very nice Coach W!

PS I ll trade names on shirts for wins~! All about priorities.

Rock Chalk!

wildjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

It's great that Charlie came in here and got rid of Gill's trash that he recruited. Look out with names on there backs and flashing lights on the helmets, this could be a banner year.

justanotherfan 2 years, 11 months ago

A couple of things...

1) The headline is a little misleading. That first group of players wasn't "dismissed." They ASKED to leave and were granted their release to transfer. That's not really a dismissal, but whatever. That's just semantics.

2) It's a little troubling that three of the TOP programs in the KC area are the ones that have kids transferring out of the KU program. Keeston Terry, Darrian Miller (Blue Springs), Dexter McDonald (Rockhurst) and Adonis Saunders (Olathe North) represent some of the best schools in the KC area as far as producing D1 talent. Hopefully Weis losing those four kids doesn't hurt his recruiting at those programs because those schools are consistently strong.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Interesting how you spin 'dismissal' to fit your own off-center perceptions.

You may be excused from the forum. Don't let . . .

justanotherfan 2 years, 11 months ago

My perceptions? Darrian Miller announced that he is transferring. That's what he said. That isn't a dismissal. That's a kid leaving after a coaching change. That's why the article itself says they were, and I quote "released from the program."

When a player wants to transfer, they must be released by their previous school in order to do so. Those players were "released" so now they can transfer with no impediments.

Eric Guinan 2 years, 11 months ago

Names on uniforms? Red Stripes? Black shoes? Whoa, fellas..are you football fans or fashionista? Here in So Cal, USC, who has the flashiest players, coaches, and heck, fans, of any college football program in the nation, is the only professional football team in Los Angeles (checked with Roger Goodell, they have a salary cap), and is basically ObnoxiousU...and lo....no names on uniforms. Yup, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Reggie Bush, etc., etc., decided to come to USC even with no names on the uniforms, and yup, the fans in the coliseum, self absorbed lot that they are, can still follow the action on the field without names on unis! Which brings us to what may indeed be the real problem....do you fashion guys need better glasses or binoculars? Better knowledge of who is on the field? Or...drumroll please...will all of you please band together, donate 15M and get rid of the track! Voila...you're right in the action and need no names on unis.

Anyway, I don't care if Weis' take on KU football tradition is hot pink...how about looking like we know what we're doing, playing hard, and getting some wins?

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Looking like we know . . . playing hard . . .

Now those are concepts to exercise the incisors and cuspids!