Monday, January 16, 2012

Weis announces dismissal of 10 Jayhawks from KU football program

Kansas head football coach Charlie Weis talks with media members on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Weis introduced new members of his football team and also announced players that have left the program.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Monday announced the dismissal of 10 players from the KU football team.

The players, many of whom played significant snaps during the 2011 season, fell into three different categories and were dismissed for everything from academic and behavioral issues to a desire to continue their playing careers elsewhere.

The first group — JaQwaylin Arps, Dexter McDonald, Darrian Miller, Adonis Saunders, Brock Berglund and Keeston Terry — was released by the program.

The second group — Jordan Webb, Tyrone Sellers and Tom Mabry — will no longer be a part of the program but will remain enrolled at KU for the spring semester and may consider playing elsewhere in the future.

The third group — Travis Bodenstein — informed Weis that he would transfer to another school.

Weis spoke to the media for 35 minutes Monday, his first such meeting with reporters since being named head coach on Dec. 8.

In addition to news of the dismissals, Weis addressed several other questions surrounding his program including recruiting, the hiring of his coaching staff and much more. Be sure to check back with KUSports.com throughout the week for more from this news conference.

As for the notables from Monday’s meeting, which also included a question-and-answer session with new arrivals Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Justin McCay, they included:

• Weis said the names will return to the backs of the uniforms for the 2012 season.

• McCay’s eligibility status remains up in the air but the school is petitioning the NCAA to allow the Oklahoma transfer to be able to play this season. If granted, the wide receiver from Bishop Miege High will compete as a sophomore and have three years of eligibility remaining. If it’s not granted, he would have to sit out this season and could compete as a junior beginning in 2013.

• Spring practices will begin March 27 and the annual spring game will take place on Saturday, April 28.

Be sure to log on to KUSports.com throughout the day for more.

Comments

Eric Guinan 2 years, 3 months ago

Names on uniforms? Red Stripes? Black shoes? Whoa, fellas..are you football fans or fashionista? Here in So Cal, USC, who has the flashiest players, coaches, and heck, fans, of any college football program in the nation, is the only professional football team in Los Angeles (checked with Roger Goodell, they have a salary cap), and is basically ObnoxiousU...and lo....no names on uniforms. Yup, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Reggie Bush, etc., etc., decided to come to USC even with no names on the uniforms, and yup, the fans in the coliseum, self absorbed lot that they are, can still follow the action on the field without names on unis! Which brings us to what may indeed be the real problem....do you fashion guys need better glasses or binoculars? Better knowledge of who is on the field? Or...drumroll please...will all of you please band together, donate 15M and get rid of the track! Voila...you're right in the action and need no names on unis.

Anyway, I don't care if Weis' take on KU football tradition is hot pink...how about looking like we know what we're doing, playing hard, and getting some wins?

justanotherfan 2 years, 3 months ago

A couple of things...

1) The headline is a little misleading. That first group of players wasn't "dismissed." They ASKED to leave and were granted their release to transfer. That's not really a dismissal, but whatever. That's just semantics.

2) It's a little troubling that three of the TOP programs in the KC area are the ones that have kids transferring out of the KU program. Keeston Terry, Darrian Miller (Blue Springs), Dexter McDonald (Rockhurst) and Adonis Saunders (Olathe North) represent some of the best schools in the KC area as far as producing D1 talent. Hopefully Weis losing those four kids doesn't hurt his recruiting at those programs because those schools are consistently strong.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

It's great that Charlie came in here and got rid of Gill's trash that he recruited. Look out with names on there backs and flashing lights on the helmets, this could be a banner year.

danno1313 2 years, 3 months ago

House cleaning! Very nice Coach W!

PS I ll trade names on shirts for wins~! All about priorities.

Rock Chalk!

bootlegger 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow; KU has a REAL football coach!! Names are back on the jerseys;..........lets play ball!!!!

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 3 months ago

Agree 100% if u can agree more than 100% I would... The sympathy towards everything is foolish. This isn't basketball, its beyond obvious that Bergland wasn't going to return. After you decide to stay at home your (would be freshman year), that pretty much makes it incredibly unlikely that you will come back as a sophomore (technically a freshman in eligibility- I realize, thanks)... I woulda put it at a 1 in 10 chance after hearing Weis was head coach, and a 20% before then... But, praise Keegan (sarcasm intended).

Jaybate- the majority of schools lose 15 players due to transfers when a new football coach comes in as football is a scheme oriented sport on both offense and defense. Pairing Manning would not have fit in Floridas offensive scheme when Tebow was there, whereas LeBron would have been a fit for any school... Keep searching for reasons to hate... It's not working and your football iq is clearly shown in your anti-Weis remarks.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sad. We have the most intelligent fans when it comes to basketball but when it comes to football the focus seems to be on what our uniforms look like. Pathetic!

esque 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm gonna go on the record and say it now, I didn't feel any better with the announcement of Weis as head coach than I did when Gill was announced. While I'll hope for the best I am expecting far less than most of you here. I predict KU will be in the same boat in 2-5 years in terms of searching for a new coach. I truly believe that, once again, it is the wrong hire.

Again, I'd be more than happy to eat those words in a season or two, but I do not see it happening that way. Long term, Dave Doeren might have been the better hire, certainly Larry Fedora. We shall see.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

What a great idea.

Come in and S-can a quarter, or a third of your team.

Who needs players, right?

Why not S-can the whole team?

Boy that would really scare the incoming guys, right?

No wait, at this late date, it would be tough to replace 3/4s of the team with new recruits.

S-can the rest of them next year, right?

:-)

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone who wanted Berglund to be be part of this team is wrong

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 3 months ago

For Webb it is unfortunate but I don't really think he a Big 12 level QB. If he wants to continue to play he would have a better chance at a smaller school or going down a level of play. Berglund has been a problem from the start and Gill catered to his situation. He may have been a nice player but may not fit what Weis is looking for plus the off field head aches weren't worth the hassle.

Miller - nice RB but sounds like he had issues even with Gill. KU is deep at that position plus the addition of the juco back makes his situation not a big deal.

Terry was a disappointment but I would have liked to see what he could do with a different staff - even maybe switching him to WR.

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 3 months ago

I say letting Jordan Webb go is an honest evaluation and an opportunity for him to play. He wants to play and the coaches told him, 'not going to happen'. Better than a Mack Brown move.

rob4lb 2 years, 3 months ago

While I do like the decisiveness in some of the decisions, there is some collateral damage that makes me a little sick. I feel bad for someone like Jordan Webb. Was he effective? Not really. But the entire team was bad. From what I have read, Webb worked his tail off during the off-season. He tried to assume a leadership role on the team. He was never in trouble and probably defined what a student athlete is.

I'm sure that Webb never realistically believed he would play in the NFL, so I assume has focused on his education. That is completely disrupted. There is something wrong with these rules where the athlete becomes collateral damage. Imagine being half way to a degree and having to make a decision to transfer or stay and lose your scholarship.

Marc Frey 2 years, 3 months ago

People lambasted Keegam for saying that Berglund would never play at KU. Hmmm shuts some of the trolls up.

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Disappointed at some of the departures. Right now we need upperclassmen more than unproven freshman. Good for the long run though.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

Weis had a 100% graduation at Notre Dame, I doubt he'll want to start this program, with less than that as the goal.

NOTcrusher 2 years, 3 months ago

How's that, JaQwaylin? Proud?

Hugs!

Kevin Randell 2 years, 3 months ago

Party at Memorial Stadium April 28th.....who's going to be there?

Eric Bernauer 2 years, 3 months ago

Drats, Berglund leaving is like losing Manning/Vick/Tebow all at once. Oh, how will we survive?

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 3 months ago

I view some of these dismissals as opening up some slots for scholarships for sure. Perhaps there is a lot of interest in KU and our coaches want to have slots for talent. Great move!!

Let's have TRobinson play receiver, how cool would that be!! It is crazy but would probably add 10,000 to the stadium.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

In listening to his press conference I was reminded a lot of Larry Brown's press conferences. Incredibly forthright and straight up. Always enjoyed listening to LB's conferences and think I'll enjoy CW's as well.

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

Names on jerserys couldn't give a flip, recognize you folks care, so be it.

I do care about the digits on the scoreboard.

KU Band, time for some NEW songs!!!! old stuff got to go.

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

If I'm bringing in any 5th year guys in May I have to save room for them as they count. I told you the numbers will be in the 20's and they are they are higher.

Look it, we can use help everywhere, there isn't one position on our team that I would say, "Hey we don't need help there."

In every case where a player is gone, they had opportunities and decided not to take advantages of them. Each situation was unique, one was gone before I arrived, rest of guys left for variety of reasons.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 3 months ago

All I could think of was 10 more recruits in our class now. When new coaches arrive players always leave and it sucks, but that is how it goes. Sadly as good as Miller is with our RB depth we will be fine. Personally I hope Bourbon gets more carries now. We have young QB's that can be backups so we are okay there too.

Sounds like Weis is making sure he has his type of players on this squad so we shall see what happens. Oh, and not that having names on the back of the jerseys is the biggest deal in the world, but I hope we don't see those white helmets every again.

toe 2 years, 3 months ago

Step one on making KU an NFL farm team. Cheap endless supply of talent.

kudzutexas 2 years, 3 months ago

It's kind of funny that TK got drilled for his article on Brock Burgland. I even thought he was too harsh. But, he was right and we're all eating crow. I bet he couldn't quit smiling at the press conference.

missmagoo 2 years, 3 months ago

I would like to "like" this times infinity. This sends the right message and now these players know not to mess around with this guy. And woooohooooo for the end of the Brock Berglund drama. I'll drink to that! Cheers Jayhawkers.

Knoff 2 years, 3 months ago

Now that we have names back on the jerseys please bring the red stripe back to the helmet. Thank you.

Janet Scott 2 years, 3 months ago

HCCW is kicking butt big time, and I like it. High expectations: check. Names on jerseys: check. Shape up or ship out: check. Oh, did Zenger call Dr. Tommy Osbourne of NU to gain advice before Z hired Charlie? Just wondering.

middleoftheroader 2 years, 3 months ago

My first reaction to the article was...only 10? dang.

5DecadeHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

"The fist group — "

I'm trying to figure out if "The fist group" had issues about getting into fist fights and that is why they are being dismissed, or if there is a more disgusting story Matt Tait is trying to hint at. :x

edjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Word has it that these were the kids who were outwardly critical of Gill's firing.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 3 months ago

I like it. Names for jerseys. No nonsense program. Bringing in recruits. And yes, I like the recruits, never said I didn't... Still cautiously optimistic. Could still be a losing season with some sweet highlights next year. But bowl eligibility could have a slight chance in the mix. What is this strange feeling inside me? This is strange...is this the presence of...optimism? A presence I have not felt since...

cool_beans 2 years, 3 months ago

as of right now the only thing that matters is who signs on feb. 1. then that's when we'll know that kind of potential this team will have.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

If guys weren't going to class or taking care of their academics, that would kind of fall on Coach Gill wouldn't it? I mean, it happened on his watch.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm confident that Weis knows he'll need a back-up quarterback.

He mentioned that he has a lot of recruiting yet to do. Significantly, he also mentioned that there may be more Crist-like transfers to KU after players graduate in May from other schools.

This team was one of the worst football teams in college football - two-years running. Things have to change. Expectations have to change. And, yes, players will have to change. I absolutely loved the look of the three players he had at the press conference.

Loved just about everything that I heard.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 3 months ago

well, i really liked Darrian Miller as a recruit and a football player...but at the end of the year something happened. He was suspended for the last game, and basically hasn't been heard from since (sans Twitter of course).

we obviously have plenty of RBs...and it sounds like we got a dandy recruit.

Keeston Terry had a decent frosh year...but got hurt. and then this year, he didn't really develop....he got burned a lot....so it would seem we could do better.

Saunders has good speed, but again, did he make any memorable football plays? did he develop at all? same with Dexter McDonald.

we all know the story of Berglund...he never wanted to be here. Gill should have kicked him off the team before the year started. TK had it right on this kid....but what a strange relationship that was with player and program. Arps was never a factor.

so CW got rid of some kids that really didn't want to be here....and we're bringing back and getting new kids that do...and our QB play has been improved a bunch. Our recruiting class has a chance to be great in quantity AND quality....a very good day.

Go Jayhawks!

Matthew Del Vecchio 2 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sad to see Darrian Miller go.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 3 months ago

Addition by subtraction? It doesn't seem so in many of these cases.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

Hate to see some go but it is the nature of the situation. Names on the back of the uniforms is a nice move---love it!

kwhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

weaglehawk.....you beat me to it!

I don't know....Mecham graduated, Berglund and Webb both leaving. Here's to putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Kyle Cornish 2 years, 3 months ago

Who is going to be the backup if Crist gets hurt?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey, look at that. An official announcement on Darrian Miller.

BTW, KUSports tweeted this: "Weis said KU did have some severe academic issues. But KU also had more than 30 players on the honor roll."

Sounds like several of the dismissals were due to academics. Glad to see that Charlie is going keep a high bar on this and force players to follow it.

And there you go, KUSports.com posters. You're biggest issue has been cleared up: the names are back on the jerseys. rolls eyes

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 2 years, 3 months ago

That's awesome how the NCAA takes a year away from a player that transfers but a new coach shows up and starts cutting guys immediately. "Yeah, that was nice but now you got to leave..."

Brennan Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Losing Miller and Terry is going to hurt.

daverinoku 2 years, 3 months ago

The first group includes guys I wish were staying...especially Miller.

stm62 2 years, 3 months ago

Bring back the red stripe AND the BLACK shoes.

Chinese Laoshi 2 years, 3 months ago

setting high expectations from the beginning, excellent. Be nicw work hard or you're out. Well done.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 3 months ago

"..were dismissed for everything from academic and behavioral issues to a desire to continue their playing careers elsewhere" Interesting. With all the people flipping on Twitter about some of this, I wonder if they saw this.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 3 months ago

The names are back! So happy I am crying, now just bring back the red stripe on the helmet.

gardenjay 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, I hope the team dismissals are not a source of friction within the team. It seems like they could all use one of those team-building retreats, maybe to Borneo or somewhere really remote to bond for a couple months...

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Loved the no-nonsense attitude. Sending a strong message right from the start. Exciting stuff.