Originally published January 15, 2012 at 02:15p.m., updated January 16, 2012 at 12:16a.m.

3 more junior college football prospects commit to Kansas

With less than three weeks remaining before national signing day, Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis and his new coaching staff continue to make up for lost time by landing commitments in a hurry.

And their moves seem to be in direct contrast to the way Weis’ predecessor, Turner Gill, went about building his program.

Saturday night, the Jayhawks learned that junior-college All-American running back Taylor Cox and junior-college wide receiver Josh Ford had orally pledged their services to KU.

Sunday, junior-college tight end Charles Brooks decided to join them. All three were former three-star prospects, according to Rivals.com.

Gill did not bring in his first juco player until his second year in town.

In landing the three junior-college players, Weis adds both experience and talent to a KU offense that figures to look a lot different in 2012 than it did in 2011.

“At Kansas, there just aren’t enough BCS football players in the state to survive,” said Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com, who has covered KU recruiting for 13 seasons. “So you have to be creative how you build your roster, and I’ve always felt that junior-college kids can be a big part of that. From what I have seen so far, the quality of the junior-college players that they’re bringing in is a great sign for KU football because these are guys that I think can make contributions right away.”

Cox, 5-foot-11, 200 pounds, of College of the Siskiyous in Weed, Calif., ran for 1,507 yards and 14 touchdowns in 10 games this season. Originally from Mill Creek, Wash., Cox owns the school record for rushing yards in a game (326), rushing yards in a career (2,744) and touchdowns in a career (31). He also knows incoming transfer Jake Heaps, a quarterback from Washington, and told JayhawkSlant.com he chose KU because of what Weis is building.

“I just know I want to be a part of it,” Cox said. “I think good things are going to happen. The coaches were all very welcoming but that they had that look they are ready to get to work. I know coach Weis wants good football players, but he also is looking for players with high character. I’m excited and honored to be a part of it.”

Ford, 6-4, 195, finished the 2011 season at Arizona Western with 845 yards and 10 touchdowns on 58 receptions. Long and tall, with 4.4-second, 40-yard dash speed, Ford, who originally hails from Washington, D.C., said he could flourish at his new school.

“I know in an offense run by coach Weis, I will get the ball thrown to me a lot,” Ford told JayhawkSlant.com. “It is the type of offense that can showcase wide receivers. Coach Weis is known for developing quarterbacks, and that is the receiver’s best friend.”

Brooks, 6-5, 245, comes to Kansas from Scottsdale Community College in Arizona as one of the top five junior-college tight ends available. He chose KU over offers from Florida International, Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi, New Mexico and Savannah State.

The addition of Brooks, Cox and Ford brings KU’s commitment list in the Class of 2012 to a dozen, about half of the yearly maximum (25) the program is allowed to sign. It remains to be seen just how many more prospects Weis will bring to town.

“I don’t want to undersign,” Weis said the day he was introduced. “I don’t want to go out there and sign 15 guys if I can sign 25 guys. I also don’t want to take people just for numbers. You want to take guys that fit what you need.”

Miller Tweets he’s gone

Darrian Miller, KU’s second-leading rusher during the 2011 season, announced on Twitter over the weekend that he is no longer a member of the KU football program.

Questions about Miller’s future at Kansas popped up shortly after Weis was hired in early December, and rumors ran wild throughout the past month about Miller’s status. The addition of Cox to an already-crowded backfield seems to indicate that the Jayhawks are prepared to move on without Miller, a freshman from Blue Springs, Mo., who missed the final game of the 2011 season because of suspension.

There has been no official word from KU officials on the status of Miller or any other current players.

Lineman to visit

Carlos Lozano, a 6-8, 360-pound offensive lineman from East Los Angeles College, is expected to take his official visit to KU early this week and may be in town today.

Lozano, who hails from Monterey Park, Calif., has scholarship offers from KU, Utah, Washington, Kansas State, UCLA and Utah State and is drawing interest from more than a dozen others.

Comments

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

As Penny Lane once said, "Its all happening!" lol, Welcome to KU fellas!!! Rock Chalk!

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 4 months ago

When we go to Morocco, I think we should have completely different names and be completely different people!

JJHAWK 3 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like Weis and staff have looked at last years films and identified the most glaring weaknesses in our offense: Quarterback Widereceiver with size and speed Effective tight end Running back that can catch coming out of the backfield.

Wouldn't be surprised is our new defensive coordinator is doing the same thing!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

There's the article. Knew you were plugging away, Matt. Rock Chalk.

BTW, Matt, you tweeted the other day that Miller is almost certainly gone based on his tweets. Is there anything official coming out of this? Seems like he'd need to transfer fairly soon if he is, in fact, leaving.

Jonathan Briles 3 years, 4 months ago

Miller actually Tweeted that he is no longer a Jayhawk. He is officially gone. There is an article about it on RockChalkTalk.com

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I know he tweeted it, but nothing has officially been announced. Just seems like that needs to happen soon for him to transfer for the Spring semester.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 4 months ago

Are you high? Darrian Miller himself tweeted he officially is no longer a Kansas Jayhawk.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Can you not read? I said I am aware of that. Tait tweeted it himself the other day. The University has had no official announcement on it, that's all I'm asking.

But thanks for playing, a-clown.

kuilander 3 years, 4 months ago

actually you look like a clown, and i'll ask the same question as mjh ... are you f'ing high?? how much more confirmation do you need than hearing it directly from miller himself?!?! what kind of spectacle do you expect the program to make of him leaving? jesus ..

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

I will stay outside the name calling but I will say that tweets are not binding and players have been know to take back what they tweet.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It's a message board fellas... Calm down.

sportjunky 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, the guy asks (very clearly) whether the university has put out a release and he gets jumped on. He didn't ask whether the kid's no longer on the team or anything like that-- that part the player made clear. He only asked whether anything official had been released.

Rough crowd.

jhawk23 3 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to the Jayhawk program, gentlemen. We'll love you as long as you work hard on and off the field. You do that and listen to your coaches, and the rest will take care of itself.

middleoftheroader 3 years, 4 months ago

three 3* players for the offense is good, please lets hear something about Campo getting some good Defensive players soon.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

We've already got some defensive players, 3 dt's, 2 juco transfers 1 from hs. We are the top school for BuCo DT Chaquille Reed, and after his visit to Troy I believe, he will commit. Kenneth Crawley a 4 star db visits next week, and has stated on twitter that the Campo hire is huge. Were also on the list with a bunch of other players, signing day is February 1st so expect recruits to start committing like crazy in the next couple of weeks.

Stan Unruh 3 years, 4 months ago

+1 Campo or any coach needs kids who can play Defense.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 4 months ago

Matt, any word on Keeston Terry? I saw a tweet that indicated he may be leaving. Also, is Miller's departure definite? Do you know if we will learn more about them at the big press conference that is supposed to be coming up?

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow!

1 - When is the Spring Game?

2 - Any chance Weis lands Rodney Coe or Dorial Green-Beckham?

master16 3 years, 4 months ago

i'd say less than one percent chance landing dorial green-beckham. his offer list is ridiculous. if HCCW actually pulls it off though, i would seriously be speechless.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

I saw that Dorian Green-Beckham made the cover of the Sunday Parade Magazine for the best receiver and player for the HS All-Americans. I saw the ridiculous list of schools after him, too. Love to have HCCW sway him to the Jayhawks. That would be unbelievable!

johnnyphoton 3 years, 4 months ago

KU football fans getting greedy. I love it!

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Interesting Master and mikendal, much appreciated. I guess if Weis is in contact with Green-Beckham it's top secret like everything else, which seems like a good way to do business. Save talking to the press for later and spend time now talking to recruits.

Also if you haven't seen Rodney Coe's highlights, take a look. According to the Miller article in Jayhawk Slant Weis may be making a move for him. He is a freight train.

RCJ

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Didn't Coe sign with Iowa? That's what it looked like when I googled him.

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Supposed verbal. Who knows. I just saw Jayhawk Slant had reported Weis possibly in touch with Coe.

RCJ

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm. Thanks for the link. From what I understand he signed last year with Iowa as part of the 2011 class but didn't qualify initially. Now he's done with his year of Juco and is eligible to go anywhere. Iowa seems to think they have him but Weis may be checking in with him according to the Slant article on Miller.

Setherick 3 years, 4 months ago

With Bama hiring Nussmeier as their new OC, I could see Green-Beckham ending up there. If Nussmeier can turn locker into a first round pick, what can he do for McCarron and Bama's running game.

Ted Toulouse 3 years, 4 months ago

Now all we need is the names on the Jerseys so we know who the heck they are!

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

I go by the numbers. They are so much bigger and easier to read than those little letters which can't be seen at most angles. Just a friendly suggestion. :-)

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

I pay good money on game day to watch them play. I don't think it's too much to ask that they put the names on the jerseys so I know who they are. No, I'm not going to memorize the numbers with the names.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

People pay better money at Penn St, USC, and Notre Dame game days and they arent complaining or being lazy...

Matt Kenton 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, and those programs are all just like ours.

danno1313 3 years, 4 months ago

Exactly...SC, ND and Penn State have roughly 25 National Titles and NO names on the jerseys!! Priorities! WIN GAMES! I dont care about the stadium or the jerseys! WIN GAMES! The rest will take care of itself!

Ethan Berger 3 years, 4 months ago

How do you see their names from the stands?

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't know how to answer that without sounding like a smarta$$.

Matt Kenton 3 years, 4 months ago

So danmoore, do you think #3 is definitely leaving? And what is #2 going to do? Don't see how he would see the field unless that yet-to-be-numbered quarterback with one year left gets hurt. I for one, am really interested to see what happens to #20 and #12's production next season in a Weis offense.

Even if you know who I am talking about, you really think many KU fans do?

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

if they dont are they really true fans?

actorman 3 years, 4 months ago

That's a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of true fans who can appreciate the players, love watching the games and cheering for the 'Hawks, but don't want to have to take the time and energy to memorize their uniform numbers.

I don't see how it would hurt anything to put the names back on the jerseys. I've always thought that Penn State "team first" thing was a little silly when it came to not having names on uniforms.

I don't care about the issue immensely, but it would be helpful to have the names on there again.

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

Touche!

You should know who they are by the position they are playing and their style of play.

Matt Kenton 3 years, 4 months ago

Bottom line, I see plenty of reasons for having the names ON (and so does almost every other professional and big-time college sports team in America), but I haven't heard any good reasons that someone really wants them OFF.

It seems to me either you badly want them ON, or you don't care but feel the need to tell the others that they shouldn't care either.

And for the "it creates unity and a team" bull$hit, I give you exhibit A, the last two seasons.

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

I’m fine with the names on the jerseys but I don’t see why it’s such a big deal to so many fans. Whatever CW decides is fine with me, I just think all the reasons for fans wanting the names is totally lame. But I can see this is a pretty important issue for some fans so I will concede the argument and never post on it again. Peace and RCJH to all.

shelleysue 3 years, 4 months ago

I think the names help more when watching a game on TV. Maybe the players don't care but I would think having names on the jerseys would create pride for the player. I guess I always thought names were on the Jerseys for the players.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe anyone actually has an opinion on this.

shelleysue 3 years, 4 months ago

Most teams have names on the jerseys, so when they aren't there, I think the perception tends to be that it's some type of punishment. That the players care more about themselves than the team. I thought it was stupid when Prince got rid of the names at KSU and I thought it was stupid when Gill did the same. I don't really follow the other conferences much so I don't know what they do.

actorman 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't think there's a single person who's saying that uniform names are in the slightest way connected to the importance of winning games. But there's nothing wrong with the fans having the ability to easily identify who's making plays.

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

People need to quit complaining about the lack of names on the back of their jerseys! C'mon, that's just stupid...the numbers are all we need! Do you see NFL players wearing numbers on the backs of their jerseys? (what? what's that...they do have their names on their jerseys in the NFL?) Oh...ummmmm...nevermind.

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

Uhhhhh, don't you mean "Do you see NFL players wearing 'names' on the backs of their jerseys....looks like you're the stupid one labrat. Just saying.

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey! no need to be a smarta$$. It's people like you that come on here all high and mighty when we're just trying to voice our opinions. We're all KU fans on here anyways...oh wait, c'ept for the trolls.

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow! now I've seen everything. Why does it always have to turn into a race thing, just because people have different opinions about basic things like the name on the back of a Jersey. What in the heck do trolls have to do with this discussion?! Did a troll steal your girlfriend or something...geez, get a life!

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

Alright, I digress. You're right, I guess I just got a little carried away is all....kumbaya...

lurkerhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

hmm. was that supposed to be funny or something?

escaped_labrat 3 years, 4 months ago

No, it was my satirical attempt to illustrate the folly of people arguing about names or numbers on the backs of jerseys...however, I did have fun doing it :-)

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

PUT THE NUMBERS BACK ON THE JERSEYS!!!

We don't ever talk about players as if they were numbers. As fans we love our players and most of us enjoy the names on the back. There are a few programs that don't do it, but we always have.

Please put them back on coach Weis!

jayhawkfanatic11 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know how many spots we have left on the commitment list? I'd love to see more defensive players commit to KU. Welcome Cox, Ford, and Brooks to Jayhawk Nation. Looking forward to seeing you guys play. Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

We're not going to really know how many scholarships are available until we know who's leaving the program and right now Miller appears to the only confirmed person leaving so far. We should know tomorrow though who is staying and who is going.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Several points I've noticed. 1. Charlie Weis has taken us beyond the embarrassment of the Turner Gill era and elevated us to the ranks of competing with schools the likes of...Florida International, Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi, New Mexico and Savannah State What?! Come on. A year ago we would've had lengthy board discussions about how this was an embarrassment to our program. 2. Folks threw b*tch fits last year about Gill bringing in so many three star recruits and how that was such a terrible thing and now people are falling all over themselves about Weis's "brilliance" for...bringing in a bunch of three star recruits...I realize we've landed some (mind you, former) five star recruits as well, but come on people... 3. Weis is building an offense, that's clear, but there are only four defensive players on that list of commits and only three D-Linemen...Offense sells tickets (which we need to do) but defense doesn't only win championships, it wins games, period. He better get on the ball for the next twelve he's expected to sign. Again, cautiously optimistic, just trying to keep it real with y'all. I wish I could see the world through Charlie Weis colored glasses (Crimson and Blue) but I've been diseased by the paranoia known as Turner Gill's Syndrome.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 4 months ago

Go to your corner! You do not know what the heck you are taslking about!

1. Read my post below.
  2. Provide evidence for your argument.
  3. There is no corner, I live in a round house.
  4. All my points are valid.
  5. Go to your corner.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I wanna live in a round house!

But not be hit by one. That would stink.

Micky Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

You know something? All of those teams like LSU, Alabama, etc, bring in a lot of 3 star recruits, too. So, what exactly is your point?

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Again, I point you to my post below, which I believe is fair and balanced. I'm not complaining about the three stars, I'm complaining about the people who were complaining about the three stars last year not complaining about them now.

ictjhawks1990 3 years, 4 months ago

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Also, to keep it real, when I was in TG defense mode last year, I did a lengthy post on how three start athletes are the bread and butter of any stable program. I just wanted to make clear that I don't have anything against recruiting and signing three star athletes, in fact, I am in favor of it as they are a solid base for any successful program. Nobody has a team made up entirely of four and five stars, they're the showtime players, three star guys are generally good players who do their job and play their position well, but don't stand out with huge plays like the four and five star guys. They're role players, like I said, the bread and butter, the mortar, the foundation on which the four and five star guys stand...guys who do their jobs and do them well. I just wanted to remind people of consistency. A lot of us wanted to bag on Gill or defend him for this or that. I just don't like it when it's so shallow that people are praising one guy for doing the same things they condemned another guy for, or, not calling out the obvious points of criticism. We're Kansas fans, we're intelligent and can be optimistic while still putting a critical eye towards our coach...I will say, Mississippi was in the mix for Brooks, so that lends more credibility than if it was just Middle Tenn and Savannah... That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't welcome all the recruits to Jayhawk Nation. Rock Chalk gentlemen, you've made a great choice to play for Kansas.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 4 months ago

I respectfully disagree because I recall we praised Gill for his recruiting last year. We were excited about the talent he brought in. The issue most of us had with Gill was his coaching so I am curious where you believe we all complained about 3 star players because we all should know that those are the heart and soul of many talented teams.

We still have time to get more recruits for the defense and it sounds like Weis has a plan. I have yet to find anything wrong with what Weis has done. I am curious to know who we will lose.

RockinChalkinLA 3 years, 4 months ago

To be completely fair you'd need to go back to Coach Gill's recruits he brought in upon being announced Head Coach. Then look at all the praise he got by "just not loosing" those we had committed. I'd say they were just as enthusiastic as now, if not more so.

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

The problem with TG's recruiting was that he was blinded by speed. He actually thought being fast was more important than having heart, mind and soul. Mostly, seemed to BELIEVE things like blocking and tackling either weren't important or would materialize from reading the Good Book.

I've never put much faith in ranking services, but football seems a little less susceptible to mindless hype than basketball.

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

Technique can be taught (not that Gill's staff was great at that), but speed cannot be taught. Weis's staff is going to be the beneficiary of the speed that Gill brought in last year. Gill also brought in 5 OLinemen that are still on the roster and a 6th that will likely transfer back to KU when he's eligible to from his JuCo. He also brought in a bunch of LB's and DE's that Weis is going to reap the benefits of when they physically develop enough to play Big 12 caliber football.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

The "three star recruits" this article is talking about are juco transfers and were three star recruits out of high school. Since they have gotten experience in juco you can not compare them to seniors coming out of high school.

jayhawkfanatic11 3 years, 4 months ago

All schools tend to land 3 star recruits so what's your point

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 4 months ago

Didn't Gill and co have the #35 recruiting class last year? (Kind of RB heavy, if I recall correctly.) I'm not sure recruiting was the issue with Gill... I thought it was his greatest strength, asides from his character, which won't win you many games.

TTU, Baylor, ISU and Mizzou were all games we had good shots at winning last year but didn't, for whatever reason. Gill would probably still be here if we won a couple of those.

I think it is wise to be cautiously optimistic though... We won't have much to go off of besides recruiting till fall. I do know that KU FB was on the front page of ESPN in January after we landed our DC. The fact that people are talking about KUFB in January on a national level is exciting, and should help recruiting... My expectations are low... I wouldn't be upset if we had a losing record next year, as long as we have more than two wins, but it certainly seems we should be capable to win at least four.

ManginoRevenge 3 years, 4 months ago

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Juco all American. Guys with size. Guys who made the top of Juco lists. They were three stars in high school, you're right there.

Good Juco players you take. Cam Newton was a juco player. None of these are Cam Newton, but they look like pretty good pickups with experience at a late date.

RCJ

danno1313 3 years, 4 months ago

Scam Newton took a heck of a pay cut going to the NFL!

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

Cam Newton was the 28th ranked player (4th ranked QB) in the class of 2007, not a typical JuCo transfer.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

People are clearly not reading what I wrote, and then making something up and claiming that I said it. I never said I was against 3 star recruits. Or against Weis's recruiting class. Or against Gill's recruiting classes. I'm against the people who b*tched last year about 3 star recruits who aren't this year. Where have they all gone? And there were plenty of people complaining about Gill's recruiting class last year. Go back and look at the articles. If you read, I was one of the people praising the highest ranked recruiting class in the last two decades. Read before you comment.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 4 months ago

I will just say as I researched plenty of people were happy with last year's class and that is where we may disagree, but I think we can both agree the class seems to be pretty good. Weis will not be able to get 4/5 star recruits yet because we are Kansas, but from what I can see he is doing well addressing our needs and giving us depth. I am fine with a high number of JUCO players because we need the experience in certain areas like the defensive line and wide receivers. We have talented receivers, but not a lot with great experience, but anyway bring in the guys and see how we do. I do believe we can be a 4/5 win team next year.

mikehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The truth hurts. Kleave is keeping it real, which is better than "the sky is falling" when losses mount up next season. It takes time to build a sustainable program in football. Let's all say together now..."Hi, my name is [blank], and I'm powerless over this KU new coach in town crack cocaine."

kellerman411 3 years, 4 months ago

1. Weis is bringing in "former" 3 star recruits. As in, they were 3 stars before they went to a JUCO and got BFS.
  2. Tight ends aren't a real hot commodity in the NCAA. So even the very best tight end doesn't guarantee himself a mound of letters from USC, OU and Bama. So, just because this guy wasn't on those radars, doesn't mean he isn't good enough. He wasn't a good fit for them.
  3. You don't watch too much Big 12 ball do you? No one has defense!!! No one!!! The quickest way to begin competing in this conference is through offense. If you can put up 30, you got a shot at anyone.

It takes a couple of years at least to put together a defense worthy of standing on. Til' then, you get yourself a turn-key QB (check), a couple fast and physical WR (check). Then you get a lead and rush two knarly DE off the edge (check).

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I think everyone's just excited because our football coach is not named Turner Gill.

That level of enthusiasm COULD be down considerably this time next year.

I hope not, but after 40+ years of following KU football....................

KUAlum2000 3 years, 4 months ago

+1 on the assessment. I was also thinking the same thing.

Having all these big name coaches is cool and all. But we just got a JUCO guy that was a 3 start, and we beat out some below average teams to do it.

Brak 3 years, 4 months ago

Not sure about all of these people you are referring to but I mostly just remember Ahperse constantly trashing the other offering schools and maybe a few dissenting comments but thats about it. I don't think there was as much of a backlash as you remember, and if anything most people were happy he was bringing in speed. No reason not to be cautiously opptomistic but you got to admit things are looking up compared to the last few years.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but Kleave sounds like an uneducated fan.

It takes years to recruit most players. For an 18 year old, this is a MAJOR decision that takes time. Weis has had about 4 weeks. To expect anything out of this recruiting class is a little bit crazy. Judge Weis on his recruiting ability by what he does next season after he has awhile to build relationships.

squawkhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Reality pretty much sucks! Nice points.

Bob Forer 3 years, 4 months ago

6'4" will 4.4 speed, and college experience. Nice tall target. Nice pickup.

tical523 3 years, 4 months ago

Neal Barlow will be available next year.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 4 months ago

Darian Miller, Please reconsider. You have a bright future as a Jayhawk. Just work hard and be patient.

treed14ku 3 years, 4 months ago

He's transferring b/c he's a bad apple who couldn't follow rules. If you follow his twitter, you would soon learn that the kid is a complete idiot. He may run well, but I don't want a cancer like that on my team. Pierson, Sims, Cox and Bourbon will be a good enough backfield w/o him.

lurkerhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

What rules did he break? I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't know and just don't care to follow someone on twitter.

kuilander 3 years, 4 months ago

Darian Miller, thank you for leaving.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 4 months ago

Why do you want him to leave? I just want to know what he did wrong exactly and please be specific since I may not be in the know.

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

We lose Hatch and Biere which are no small concerns but I have every reason to believe our offense will be productive. Defense still worries me. It was so porous that no amount of offense could compensate for it. A good DC can only do so much with the talent he has. Teams will figure us out and expose our weaknesses in a hurry. This is an offense oriented conference but I hope Campo can bring in some talent to shore up the defense.

tical523 3 years, 4 months ago

I really hope that Jimmay Mundine can step up at tight end, also Trent Smiley had some nice offers out of high school. . .they could really help at tight end. I think our o line will be fine without hatch as we recruited well there the past couple years.

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

OLine should be fine next year, Riley Spencer was good when called into action and Dylan Admire will have gone through his second off-season program and was good enough to not officially be redshirted last season (fortunately, he didn't play so he did get to redshirt) and will still have 4 years of eligibility.

bobinkc 3 years, 4 months ago

The good news just keeps coming. Three good recruits is great news. With head coaching changes doesn't that leave players free to transfer? Can't we get some star players from the likes of a Penn State or other universities where players are unsure of their stature with new coaches coming? Other colleges, similarly lost coaches and players can move. Is that a viable option?

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

Transfers from Div I schools (both FBS and FCS) are subject to the one year wait, coaching change or not. Exceptions are JuCo and players from schools in Div II or III.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

I believe there are "hardship" exceptions as well. The Oklahoma one might fall into that category to my understanding.

A good example of that, would be last year if TRob had decided to go back to DC in order to be close to his sister, he could have applied for a hardship. Although the NCAA can be somewhat inconsistent, I would say that he probably would have had about a 99% chance of having that waived. It all depends.

You are correct with the general rules.

It should be noted that within your conference not only do you have to sit out a year, most of the time you lose an additional year of elgibility.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm fairly certain that when transferring from an FBS school to an FCS, the student-athlete does not have to sit out a year, as long as he is in good academic standing and was eligible to play at the school he's transferring from. I don't work for the NCAA, so I certainly could be wrong, but that's what I've read in several different places.

That was my advice to Jordan Webb if he does, indeed, transfer, to look for a good FCS school. I'm sure there are many who would love a kid with two years of Big 12 experience, and he could play right away.

Of course, that rule doesn't effect KU transfers, which was the entire point of this particular thread, but I just thought I'd toss that out.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

Bite it Savannah State, Middle Tennessee State, Sacramento State, Bowling Green, North Texas, Central Arkansas, and Idaho!

middleoftheroader 3 years, 4 months ago

I dont know if I i'll ever get used to the acronym 'DCDC', Defensive Coordinator Dave Campo. But i'll try.

middleoftheroader 3 years, 4 months ago

Too bad there isnt an Assistant Coordinator with the initials DC, that would 'rock!'

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

Try Campo. It's way easier and less annoying!

Robert Brock 3 years, 4 months ago

It comes as a relief that we are now able to beat Savannah State for recruits.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 4 months ago

It's OK to be a little optimistic... Crist chose KU over Wisconsin.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

I could be wrong, but Mississippi was on one of those lists, which would be an SEC team.

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

So was Miami, the one down in Coral Gables that has won several national championships in its history.

ManginoRevenge 3 years, 4 months ago

Some schools pass on juco recruits. He has great #s and size and speed. CW knows wideouts when he sees em.

John Waszak 3 years, 4 months ago

how is the bball program going to hell? you sure you're on the right site?

irvan moore 3 years, 4 months ago

the juco guys are the way to build a program, look west about 60 miles.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Kleave, you need to go back to Gill, as much as a stupid idiot you are.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 4 months ago

Take it easy, the guy gave his opinion and an argument backing it. If you disagree, tell him why without resorting to name-calling. We're all on the same team here, just having a discussion.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Really? Stupid idiot? Clearly, you didn't read my post.

Read before you post.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

JUCO guys are really hit and miss. I can't for the life of me think of the name of the last JUCO All-American RB Mangino brought in, but he didn't do squat in his two years. But if nothing else it will certainly add depth. I do like the sound of this receiver's vitals though, most of our productivity last year was from mighty mites.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

Your thinking of Jocque Crawford. He also transferred the year after transferring there because he disliked Mangino. During the investigation of Mangino he stated if he was fired he would transfer back to KU asap! Kind of a bad example. He also brought in a 4 star linemen Nathan D'Kunha (sp?) that never saw the field.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 4 months ago

Still need some 4 star DT and DE recruits. Lets stack the D-line this year for once.

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

Linemen, both but O more than D, don't typically have much impact "this year". That said, the cupboard isn't completely bare, just thin on experience and mostly recruited for a running offense and gimmick defense. Still, there is some beef in the weight room.

Matthew Pritchard 3 years, 4 months ago

I could not agree more Manginorevenge! Most big time BCS schools pass on Juco players because the are already 2 to 3 deep at each position so they can just sign the next stud in line out of high school. Weis is taking the "win now" approach which is exactly what we need. If any of you are not sure about these kids watch the rivals highlight videos on all three and your jaws will drop. Ford looks like he could step in and play at USC, and Cox is perfect for a pro style offense because he is good around the corners and can catch the ball out of the backfield and in mid range passing routes. Sims, Bourbon and Pierson will be pushed which is what this team needs. Mangino built our first bowl team in forever off Juco players, Theo Baines and Bill Whitamore.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

You're right about JUCO players being able to help, but I'd be cautious about the tape you're watching. Keep in mind, those guys on the other side of the ball are also at JUCO for a reason. Some are grades, which certainly doesn't mean they can't play, some develop late, which certainly doesn't mean they can't play, but some just can't play at the D1 level. I hope these guys work out, but for every JUCO guy Mangino brought in that did work, he brought in quite a few that did not. I'm just jaded about JUCO guys, not trying to be a Debby Downer. I'll remain cautiously optimistic these guys will contribute.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

I want to point out that TG wasn't as good of a recruiter as most people think he is: 1) I use to think TG was good because he kept all of the recruits that Mangino had set up before he left; however, after now seeing coaches come in, they actually realize they run different offenses schemes and therefore should be ready to recruit to their style of offense. Remember when TG was hired there was no turnover and he kept all of the same players. TG and MM ran different schemes, but TG thought the same players would be sufficient. 2) Year 2, I will give credit that TG had like 30 scholarships available and went after some top guys. He actually landed 2-3 four-star recruits. However, after analyzing what he recruited versus his offense scheme you got to wonder. For instance, he ran a power running game..did great at RB...but receivers nothing, QBS went and got a dual-threat QB, not one that fits his offense. Defense, I'm still wondering what he was recruiting. Many say that his recruiting was ranked high because of the number of scholarships he was able to give out. Most schools have about 22-26 to give out and he had more than 30. 3) Year 3, he had about 12 scholarships available and was only able to fulfill 6 of them (2 decommitted during the recruiting process). Although some were athletes, there was only one true recruit that was on defense. He needed to figure out what was missing and address the concerns.

If anything, recruiting was starting to be the concern that I think assured that TG needed to go.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

Im confused on your assessment of receivers. He got at least 5 receivers to commit during his tenure. Jacorey Shephard showed a lot of promise early but got banged up. Marquis Jackson had a few good catches but wasnt ready for Big 12 play. Andrew Turzilli is a 6'4 185, dont forget Keeston Terry was brought in as a WR and moved to DB. Ricki Herod Jr. is 6'2 175, and Brian Maura is 6'3 190. All of these guys red-shirted except the first 2. Also, He wanted a dual threat QB the whole time, we just didnt have anyone on the roster that fit the bill. Your assessment of him lacks actual analysis.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually Turzilli and Terry were from the MM recruiting class. I'll give you credit on Shepherd and Jackson, but weren't they like like 5'10" and 5'11".

I never got the feeling that TG was after a dual-threat QB; would be news to me.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

Reguardless he got them to stay. As it is it looks like Terry might be transferring. Shepard is 5'10 and Jackson is 6'0. Really, you never got the feeling? Jordan Webb looked like he had stones attached to his feet in the pocket. Berglund or Cummings were more than just dual threat QB's. Cummings tore up the Spring Game running and passing, but was coming off a torn ACL and got red-shirted. Berglund has always been noted as a gifted passer who was exceptionally mobile. As for your defensive analysis, you are way off. Half of last years recruiting class was on the defensive side of the ball. He brought in speed and depth at every position except DT on defense. The only reason he didnt get those is he missed on all the ones he was recruiting. Thats not a slight on his ability, but just the fact that DT's are tough to come by. Some years you get them some years you dont. The defense was very young last year, with a lot of inexperience. To say your selling him short is an understatement. His best asset was recruiting, his coaching was the subpar part of his job.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

You win...he did do a good job with his second year. I'll admit I was happy with BB coming to town, I was disappointed that TG couldn't get him on the field. I would agree that it is hit and miss with the DTs, so that was unfair.

Can I at least get credit for a poor third year?

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

Haha, I'll give you that. Even though I was kind of excited about a couple of them. Bilal Marshal looked like he was gonna be real nice. However, I like what were getting now so I wont complain!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

Turner Gill said flat-out that he wanted a dual-threat guy, wanted the extra dimension of a QB that could run. dmater isn't off on that point.

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

That's pretty obvious without you spelling it out – TG played and coached forever in option offenses. He only used a spread at KU because he had no choice.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

And hence why I say his first year wasn't as good as I had originally thought it was. If he was switching the offense from a spread to a power run, keeping the recruits without any turnover seems like a mistake.

I bashed him on year and have admitted that was a mistake on my part. I don't think anyone could argue year 3.

Ripp 3 years, 4 months ago

Awesome, now lets work on the defense.

bjejayhawk69 3 years, 4 months ago

First I think the majority of Turner Gill bashing wasn't as much recruiting as it was lack of preparation, game management, team motivation and poor player conditioning. He recruited OK - RB heavy but weak in many areas. I still believe if you switched our roster with KSU and has them coached by Grandpa and conditioned by Chris Dawson the result would not be much different. TG close to clueless on coach at the Big 12 level.

As far a Juco recruits go. Take them when you need them for fill in positions. The RB recruit is nice but not necessarily needed unless we are going to move a current RB to some other position.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

To me, Tony Pierson has got to be on the field, so maybe Weiss will use him out of a number of places. He's the one guy on the offense that is just scary fast, the kind of fast you see at other Big XII contenders.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 4 months ago

Pierson could be a star. Has speed and has pretty decent size 5'11 ain't so bad. He has the build of a Arian Foster

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

Arian Foster is 6'1" 230, Tony Pierson is 5'11" 175, not exactly the same build and the don't have close to the same running style. Tony Pierson reminds me more of a Reggie Bush/Percy Harvin/Darren Sproles type player that can line up anywhere on the field and is someone that can be used to create all kinds of mismatches for opposing defenses.

drnater 3 years, 4 months ago

I think he'll play the same role that McCluster played under him at KC. An all-purpose do it all type back.

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

RB is the position most susceptible to injury – you never have too many.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

I already told everybody, I have no problem with 3 star recruits. In fact, 3 star recruits are a key part of any successful program.

Read before you comment.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 4 months ago

Kleeve, obviously none of us were complaining last year about the recruiting class like you said. You keep getting attacked because we all liked the class last year so it is apparent you were wrong because that was the basis of your argument. Unless you have any proof that we didn't like his class then you really need to just stop telling us (read before you comment). Maybe you need to read before you comment back to us.

vd 3 years, 4 months ago

Who would you have hired for DC in August? Give us your list of possible DCs at that time of the year. Why aren't you a D1 coach?

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Sorry for the long post....

For Kleave and others who don't seem to know much about college football, the reason that there is excitement with these and other signings is that, more often than not, the first recruiting class for a new coach is a thrown-together mess. He is working a short clock, has limited contact time, is way, way behind all of his competitors, he must also hire a new staff - and make sure he gets it right - and he is taking over a failed program - or else he wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

In addition, he must anticipate losses of his own players and recruit to those positions.

Given this multitude of challenges, Weis has brought in both quarterback of the present and the quarterback of the future, a potential all-conference wide receiver and a good number of 3-star athletes.

By the numbers, only about 1/3 of recruits ever truly impact a program on the field. The other 2/3 provide depth, practice bodies and competition.

JUCO players, as a rule, aren't heavily recruited by successful programs. There are always exceptions, of course, but it's going to tough to beat out "big name programs" for players if those programs aren't actually recruiting them.

This first year will be a combination of some targeted prospects (Crist, Heaps, etc.) and a whole bunch of "he looks pretty good, let's get him in here and see how he competes".

The reason I'm excited is that the guys coming in, so far, are mostly 3-stars or better and are helping to build momentum for the signing of other solid players.

I, for one, absolutely can't wait for the first kick-off!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Dude, I know sooooo much more about college football than you think.

Also, you obviously didn't read my post.

Read before you post.

BigJayhawkPhan 3 years, 4 months ago

Those leaving the Big 12 nearly left KU in a very bad position -- all for their personal gain. I know Mizzou grads are slow, but how do you not get it? It's like your ex-wife telling you she wants a divorce but she wants to "hook up" every year. F off...

Bville Hawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't sugar-coat it BigJay, just call it like you see it.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Dang, I kind of ruined the post. . . . .

"a huge good luck!"

John Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

Border War becomes something of an oxymoron when three of our four borders are vacated . . .

Bville Hawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm, maybe it's our deodorant? Are we not delightful neighbors? What does it mean when everyone moves out of your neighborhood?

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

Means if we cant win we're taking our ball and goin home..

FLJHK 3 years, 4 months ago

MoCat:I appreciate your generally positive comments, despite being on the wrong site. But let's be clear. The Border War existed, not just because of proximity, but because the two schools shared conference affiliations for however many years. It was Mizzou, for very poor reasons, that chose to end that relationship.I, for one, have zero interest in ever scheduling Mizzou again in anything. You've made your bed...

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm still interested in that estimated $26-$35MM payout that is going to the Big XII shortly. And Missouri better hope more than anyone that West Virginia can get out of the Big East and take the spot of your team, else that payout, could actually be about 5-7 times as much as that. Missouri is playing with fire.

I see that you have changed from Tigers to cats (at least by your profile name), is that so you don't have to worry about figuring out which team is the Tigers on the field. I'll give you a hint to the one you are rooting for...the one that is losing to Auburn and LSU.

johnnyphoton 3 years, 4 months ago

It's been a long month all week today, hasn't it.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Most accurate thing you said all day was this, "He really wasn't that good of a coach in Nebraska." You mean as a graduate assistant or when he was QB coach for Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch?

One played on the most dominant two year run in college football, and the other won the Heisman trophy.

Yeah, he was terrible at Nebraska. I mean, the one year after in 2004 when he was WR coach nobody won the Heisman. But his run with QB's there was dreadful...

If ANYTHING that was his brightest spot in his coaching career. Maybe his only bright spot.

And since that statement wasn't very accurate, it means the rest of what you say is likely total bull$hit.

Look, if you want to troll, at least be creative with it, and use paragraphs for pauses.

Rock Chalk

Kansashawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I could see the rivalry come back in a few years. Shame we, collectively KU and MU, will lose the oldest rivalry headline. But so goes it with big $$$

texashawk10 3 years, 4 months ago

Wisconsin/Minnesota is a year older than the Kansas/Missouri rivalry.

DallasJayhawk1 3 years, 4 months ago

I think he meant oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi--which is how most of us qualify it.

Matthew Pritchard 3 years, 4 months ago

Why in the world would we want to let you idiots back into the KC market for a Border showdown. You chose to go be a less than mediocre team in the SEC. I cannot wait to watch Bama beat you like a drum in your own house next year. Have fun with that Georgia game out of the gate. The next time we play the tiggers will be in a bowl game win we kick their A**! You know there is a Misery fan on the board when they can't even spell understand right. Learn how to spell first missouricat and then have fun being taking behind the shed every weekend in the SEC, while your coach is watching the game from home after another DUI. I t will also be fun to watch us out recruit MU because any player out of Texas would rather play for a coach with 3 superbowl rings than a coach who has not even won a BCS bowl.

Hammertoe 3 years, 4 months ago

KU fans talk a lot of talk for a team that won one Big 12 game in the last 2 years and was ranked last in all of D1 football. Weis may be the only D1 coach that doesn't live in the town he coaches in.
Mizzou fans would love to schedule a game with KU as it would be another Win. Weis and Mangino are sharing potatoe casserole recipes as we speak....

Bville Hawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they would trade you their potato casserole recipe for one of your possum or carp recipes?

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Uh, Hammertoe, Hammertoe----and to think, I was respectful to Lon Kruger, Jack Hartman, Chucky Williams, Rolando Blackman when I was growing up in Lawrence.

Then, you come on this board and you dis all my Jayhawk brothers!

Shame, shame one you.

End of discussion.

FLJHK 3 years, 4 months ago

Hammertoe's sorry history on this site is to cite little blips of largely irrelevant history in an effort to validate the meager accomplishments of his school. He knows, as well as most, that any historic comparison of KU and KSU reveals KSU to be the far lesser institution by any objective criteria, be they academic, athletic or otherwise. Yet he continues to visit this site. I suspect it is some sort of inferiority complex issue.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Hammertoe! My man! I missed you and your insight. I was afraid I wouldn't get to read your "Replies from the Short Bus" comic strip.

Look man...

Weis may be a fat boy that I love to bag on, but he's OUR fat boy that I love to bag on.

Besides, you Cat Backers all know you are scared.

Your coach is 175 years old, you saw how successful your program was under the Crown Prince, and you are praying to God every day that his heart stays healthy. And now it appears KU is getting better. How do you sleep at night?

Matthew Pritchard 3 years, 4 months ago

What is funny about Barneys and Tiggers is that they both need to ask themselves 2 questions:

1. Has either one ever one a BCS game in football, and a national championship in basketball in the same year?
  2. Has either school ever won a national championship in anything other than debate, cow judging, or bass fishing?

The answer is NO to 1 & 2, so good luck in the SEC accomplishing nothing MU, and to all the Barneys the time will come again soon when we will break out the broom sweep the regular season with you again in both football and basketball. Bville, that was awesome, the only problem is that Tigger fans can still not spell the word carp.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Can anybody read? I dare you to find one point where I actually criticized Weis, the football program, the fact that we're getting three star recruits or the recruits themselves.

The short answer is, I didn't.

Yet many of you seem to assume I did.

I was criticizing the posters on this board who somehow have unrealistic expectations for next season. I'm glad we have these guys coming in and I think Weis will coach them well. But if you're hoping for an undefeated season next year, I'm trying to keep you guys all grounded so you're not jumping off buildings next season when we're not in the National Championship.

But apparently we read three words and then decide to dissolve into name calling and explanations about why I'm wrong about things I never said.

I'll say it again, read before you post.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks mom. And no one who uses the word dude should ever be allowed to post, anywhere, ever.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and by the way, no Missouri, we won't schedule a game against you. In football, yeah, we'd lose, so why would we sacrifice a non-conference win just to play against a team who deserted the conference? In basketball, we'd slaughter you as usual, but we have bigger fish to fry, and you're the ones who walked out on the rivalry, so why would we try to make up for you mistake?

DallasJayhawk1 3 years, 4 months ago

We are Top 10 in b-ball right now, might be Top 35 in football once football season gets going and we are #1 in the country in Debate. We have some of the best athletes now in those sports---yes, Debaters are athletes . . .

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, Debaters are intelligence , quick thinking, etc but not athletes. Check the dictionary.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Poke fun at it all you want, but our debate program is among the best in the nation, and probably one of, if not THE, best public universities in the United States of America for it.

We have won the NDT five times, most of any public school. Only Northwestern (fourteen), Darthmouth (six), and Harvard (six) have more.

If we win it again this year, we are inching on up baby.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

And by the way, yours is the only post I've read that mentions an undefeated season.

vd 3 years, 4 months ago

4 years from now this program will be loaded. This is how Ron Prince built his program.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Ron had talent, his problem was he couldn't recruit somebody to coach the talent.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm STOKED baby! Just changed my shorts again.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Here is what I would like to see:

1. The Big 12 actually going back to twelve full members by adding Louisville and Notre Dame.

2. We split into a north division of KU, KSU, WVU, ND, Louisville, and Iowa State.

3. It frees up one extra out of conference game to pick up another win.

4. We make bowl games every year, averaging about 8+ wins a season.

5. Head Coach Chubs Weiss gets to stick it to Notre Dame annually.

A man has to have his dreams.

Off topic, I just let out a coffee fart that rivals nerve gas. All I could think of when it happened was, "Oh man, that wreaks like Tyshawn." Ahh man, Super T. if you read this, it was a good joke, have a laugh, good luck with Perry Smellis the Turd tonight.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

A couple of quick notes from the football team. As expected both Darrian Miller and Jordan Webb were absent from the initial team meeting. No big surprise there. The other two names that weren't necessarily expected, Adonis Saunders and Brock Berglund.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 4 months ago

apherse, not sure where you are getting your info from, so I will take it with a grain of salt, but any info is better than none, and your info is better than mine. Any word on Keeston Terry?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Story on rockchalktalk, didn't say anything about Terry so I'm assuming he was there.

buckleyhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

"We had interest from the big 10 but, in long discussions and meetings we decided it was not in our best interest if you want to know the truth."

I would like to know the truth, but if you want to come over to kusports.com and spout off fiction, that's cool too. "We decided"? As in you work for the Big 10 as well?

Just as you somehow find perfect logic in Mizzou's move to the SEC (which some of it is certainly valid), we too find perfect logic in "cancelling" the rivalry (which MU actually did by leaving the conference) -- with no conference affilliation, it makes absolutely no sense from a financial standpoint or from a recruiting standpoint to continue playing any games with you. This point has been agreed upon by most every non-partisan journalist.

As to the "hate" comment, perhaps pick a different board to write your stories. Or perhaps riding your high horse was just what you needed this Monday morning.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 4 months ago

You do realize KU is actually second in all-time wins, not UNC, and Duke has quite a hill to climb to reach number 3. And who in their right minds believes anybody turned down the Big 10 for either better basketball or better academics? Nobody, that's who! SEC basketball SUCKS!!!

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Nah man, actually UNC retook it the year they went to the NIT.

We petered out against Northern Iowa while they packed in easy wins in the NIT.

Also, they have played one more game than us this year. And with how crappy the ACC is this year I am sure they will pick up a few cupcakes.

But yeah, Mizzou is trying to hold tight at the #35 spot. So I have no idea why that moron is bringing up all-time wins in basketball. And Duke looks to be closing in on #3? Ehhh, yeah if we don't play any games for the next half decade.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

Yep, perfect fit academically. Do you know ANYTHING about the SEC?

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 4 months ago

As a Mizzou insider, do you really need this website for validation?

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

Of course they had interest in B10 but they were not in the position to pick and choose. If B10 extended an offer to Missouri they’d be on it like flies on dog excrement. Give me a break.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

Yar, thar be troll in these here waters!

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

No friends here,buddy, no friends here

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

Just like Coach Don said so many times " We are the good guys and they are the bad guys.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

Talk about delusional. I guess that's what you get from being a Missouri fan...

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 4 months ago

By the way, search Google, you'll find a plethora of articles on why Missouri to the SEC is a bad fit and a bad move. Half of them by SEC homers...

Brian Skelly 3 years, 4 months ago

I dont think we should get to high or low about whatever guys we bring recruit-wise. We will, but we shouldnt. Just remember where were coming from. The next couple of classes we can complain about if its not fitting the bill.

More importantly the trend lines are up as opposed to down. What a difference a few months makes.

jayhawkfanatic11 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know what time the press conference is today? I read in another article that Charlie Weis was holding a press conference on the 16th of this month.

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

I had no idea Mizzou said no to the Big 10. That makes our conference nervousness the last couple years all the more interesting considering Mizzou was first to put out the press regarding hoping to get a Big 10 invite. According to this Mizzou insider, the Big 10 offered Mizzou?

Also Brock Berglund's twitter account looks like it has a bunch of Jayhawks but not nearly the 600 or so fans that packed Dieter's twitter. I think Berglund just finished his case and it could finally be over. Probably a good time to show him some love. He's certainly a good quarterback. Can throw extremely well and tall with great extension like Crist. Would be nice to have a solid backup or two next year.

RCJ

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Nice find Mangino_Maniac. New strength staff at Kansas is truly rockin. I completely agree with the article, this is the most overlooked amazing part of what Weis has done so far at Kansas. Probably bigger than Crist, Heaps, McCay or Campo. But then again that's probably a good bit of the reason they signed, besides Weis, was the newly found Kansas strength plan. The strength team is everything and that's where athletes spend 99% of their time in a year, in terms of connectivity with coaches. As great as Mossariti is at Ohio State, and this is who ours learned from, Ohio State's strength facilities aren't quite as top of the line as Kansas---thanks to Mangino, Perkins and the donors. As Mossariti said himself, he's never been around anyone as energized as Weis' strength coach.

That's why, there is no way Ohio State could be # 1 on this list, but in my mind #2 and #3 are pretty much tied. Here's the latest national I.M.H.O. rankings on collegiate football strength staffs/facilities, probably the most important aspect of college football besides solid coaches and excellent recruiters----

1 - Kansas football

2 - Alabama football

3 - Ohio State football

4 - Florida football

5 - USC football

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

I am not ready to publicly be as big a homer as you are. I commend you for your bravery at posting that list. And here's to hoping you are correct.

Goose_88 3 years, 4 months ago

It appears theres a cleaning house at memorial stadium: Miller, berglund, terry and webb out. any others?

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 4 months ago

OK. Here's a crazy question:

What are the chances Dave Campo could land a former player's son, who happens to be the top DE on the board??

He's currently committed to FSU, but come Coach Campo!!! Convince Mario Edwards, Jr. that he needs to play for YOU!!!

JayHok 3 years, 4 months ago

Edwards is from Texas and it looks like Weis just opened up some more scholarships. If Campo somehow gets 5 star * Edwards away from FSU, I guess we could say his Texas ties are working! He's a freak of a DE who will be a freak of an NFL player someday!

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 4 months ago

He is now soft on FSU. He may be able to be convinced that Coach Campo (and Strength Coach Holsopple) will best develop him for the NFL.