Friday, January 13, 2012

Recruit impressed by Kansas’ NFL ties

A man who stands 6-foot-8 and weighs 360 pounds is going to draw interest from football coaches whether he plays the game or not.

In the case of Carlos Lozano, a mammoth offensive lineman at East Los Angeles College, it just so happens that football also is one of his passions, and that was enough to entice new Kansas University coach Charlie Weis to offer the lineman a scholarship.

Lozano has not released his official visit date yet, but could come to Lawrence as early as next week. This year’s annual signing day is set for Feb. 1, less than three weeks from today, and Lozano also has trips to Utah and Washington planned.

In addition to those three, Lozano, who originally hails from Monterey Park, Calif., has scholarship offers from Kansas State, UCLA and Utah State and is drawing interest from more than a dozen others.

While that list gives Lozano plenty of options, few of them can offer what KU can in terms of NFL experience. Between Weis and O-line coach Tim Grunhard, who played 11 seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, NFL experience is rich on KU’s staff, and that’s something that has caught Lozano’s eye.

“When I was looking up more about (Weis), it was cool to see he has been so successful in the NFL,” Lozano told JayhawkSlant.com. “He’s someone I could learn a lot from.”

As for Grunhard, Lozano also was impressed by his track record, professional and otherwise.

“I know he also has NFL experience,” Lozano said. “I could tell how intense he was talking with him on the phone.”

Groh staying put?

One of the hot names for KU’s defensive coordinator position throughout the past couple of weeks has been Georgia Tech DC Al Groh. However, it continues to look as if the Jayhawks may go elsewhere.

Groh, 67, just completed his second season in charge of the Yellow Jackets’ defense, and sources with knowledge of Groh told the Journal-World they expected the veteran coach’s contract with GT to be renewed.

Venables leaving OU?

The addition of Mike Stoops to the Oklahoma Sooners coaching staff could mean the end of Brent Venables’ days in Norman, Okla.

Venables, a native of Salina, evidently is preparing to leave OU and is shopping around for the best offer he can get. Reports indicate that OU’s defensive coordinator — who will become a co-coordinator with Mike Stoops if he stays — has been offered the same position at West Virginia and also is rumored to be in the mix at Clemson, which just fired its DC, Kevin Steele, on Thursday.

No direct links between Venables and KU have surfaced, and it may stay that way. However, at this point in KU’s search for a defensive coordinator, all avenues are worth considering, and both Venables and Steele have experience in and ties to the Big 12.

During KU’s search for a head coach, sources with ties to OU said Venables was interested in the opening and wanted an interview. Whether that feeling holds true for KU’s defensive-coordinator job is another question.

WR Butler to SDSU

It’s been expected for a couple of weeks, but former USC wide receiver Brice Butler’s transfer to San Diego State became official this week.

Butler, a senior with one year of eligibility remaining like new KU quarterback Dayne Crist, had considered coming to Kansas to play with Crist, but elected to stay on the West Coast to finish his college career. Butler visited KU a couple of weeks ago, but saw SDSU as a better fit.

“I liked everything about it,” Butler told uscfootball.com. “I liked the staff at San Diego State, and the situation there was better for me for that one year I have. I only have that one year, I don’t have years.”

Comments

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 3 months ago

Come to KU big man! Learn from the NFL staff and take yourself to the next level!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 3 months ago

To all you players with one more year, you have been through the crapper and now it seems like you will really have some people who know what they are doing. Last chance to work your tail off from now until that first game.

Michael Maris 2 years, 3 months ago

So, who is going to coach the linebackers? If Bowen is the secondary coach and special teams coach, looks like that is Campo's main specialty as well.

beebe1 2 years, 3 months ago

Another winner! Who would have thought it would be DC from Dallas.

Jack Joiner 2 years, 3 months ago

Campo is a better pickup than Venables. I'm ready to play ball!

FarSideHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Just heard Dave Campo has been hired as the DC!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Dave Campo just annouced as new DC, according to a Jayhawkslant tweet:

HawkNut 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt T, Any word on an announcement today to name the DC??? I am hearing one may be in the works???

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

Any chance of getting an interview with Dorial Green-Beckham?

I'm having this vision of McCay on one side, Green-Beckham on the other, Pierson---get this man in the open field with the ball please--- in the slot. Crist back there staying in the pocket, flicking 25 yard lasers to the receiver of his choice.

Also here's another article suggestion----an article based on strategic points regarding the ingenuity of the pro set versus the spread. For supplemental information, perhaps include how Weis used Brady, his receivers, line and running backs during the three super bowl victories and why it worked against the most elite of defenses in the NFL.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't care about Self's 250 wins or That Kevin young can't play defense I already know those things, I'm craving football info like a drug addict. Give me more

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Find it odd that Venables was interested in the HC job here. That would be like Clint Bowen interviewing at mizwho.

I think he'll end up at his alma mater and will take over the reigns when Snyder calls it quits.

longtimehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I am not saying that Venables wouldn't be a good hire but, there are DC in the NFL that would be better.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 3 months ago

Venables would be good. I always thought OU was a dead-end for him. Now he is starting to see it. Watch K-State. Is Snyder the only one in this conference that gets it? A power run game with a good defense can dominate the conference. If Bryce Brown had panned out, there was a good chance K-State could have been playing in the NC game this year.

Too many programs have vested toward the spread. Why does OU play the spread when they can out-recruit everyone but Texas? Just goes to show you that Stoops is not really that good of a coach. The spread is basically a gimic to keep average teams in the game. It is exciting but that cuts both ways, meaning games in the past that would have been runaway wins for the home team are now "exciting" meaning too darn close for comfort.

All this to say that it is about time that Venables gets out of there. His intensity would be a good addition to our D.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Venables would be a life saving hire for Charlie and staff. This would put Ku up with the big boys.

Jack Joiner 2 years, 3 months ago

I am a little bit skeptical of the big OL from Cal. My grandson plays on a college team and we got a 6'9" 330# transfer from a jCal. juco. He turned out to be a dud!!!! No feet, no speed, no agility, couldn't block anybody. I would have to see some film to believe he is very good. He probably is a longshot and a project.

As for Venables, I live in Okla and follow the program closely. I said before the year started that OU was overrated because all of the injuries they had on defense and things got worse as the season wore on. In my opinion he would be a good hire for DC and he would be stupid staying at OU since Mike Stoops is coming back.

SkullHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

He is a beast of a man! I too love that there is so much football talk. Keep the stories coming.

jhox 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure I'd even want Venables as KU's D coordinator. OU has been giving up a lot of points even with all of the talent they have. On the other hand, he's supposed to be one of the best recruiters out there. That would be a tough call.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I LOVE FOOTBALL ARTICLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 3 months ago

I need some guidance from fellow fans. I understand why Crist is transferring, and I know Butler can transfer under the graduate NCAA rules, but why would he when Barkley is sticking around? Anyone know why he wants to leave USC?

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 3 months ago

There's a picture of Lozano. 6'8" 360 is one huuuuge effing dude. He'd be a great get.