Friday, January 13, 2012

Kevin Young guns (and runs and rebounds and passes and … )

Kansas forward Kevin Young is supported by teammate Elijah Johnson as he comes down with a rebound before Texas Tech center Robert Lewandowski during the first half on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012 at United Spirit Arena.

Kansas University junior basketball forward Kevin Young — who sat out last season while working as a student assistant coach at Barstow (Calif.) Community College and earning his associate degree at San Bernardino CC — says he’s had no problem re-adjusting to the demands of major-college basketball.

“I think I’ve been fine,” Young said, issuing an emphatic “no” when asked if he’s come close to hitting the proverbial wall this comeback season. “Conditioning has not been a problem for me.”

Young — who combined for six points and three rebounds while playing 23 minutes in Big 12-opening victories over Kansas State and Oklahoma — scored seven points and grabbed seven rebounds while logging 21 minutes in Wednesday’s 81-46 rout of Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas.

“I thought he played well. He was the best player off the bench, without question,” KU coach Bill Self said after his Jayhawks improved to 13-3 overall and 3-0 in the league.

“He put the ball down and got it to Thomas (Robinson) for an easy basket. I thought he locked in and played well. It was one of his better games.”

Young, who played two seasons at Loyola Marymount before last year’s layoff, scored 14 points and grabbed four rebounds in 24 minutes in a 78-67 win over Ohio State on Dec. 10 in Allen Fieldhouse. He had 13 points and seven boards in a 100-54 home win over Towson on Nov. 11.

“I just see it as a good game,” Young said of Wednesday. “I think I played a lot better. There’s always room for improvement. We’re just all trying to keep the team as successful as we can.”

Young likes the fact KU won back-to-back games at Oklahoma and Tech after a home victory over Kansas State.

“It was a victory we needed,” he said of Wednesday’s rout. “These road games ... they mean a lot. We need to take them one at a time and get as many as we can.”

Young has high expectations for a KU team that plays host to Iowa State at 3 p.m. Saturday.

“We need to get better — a lot better,” Young said. “I think we are still trying to find ourselves as a team a little bit. If we work out the edges, the sharp edges, we’ll be good.”

Young said he’s feeling positive about his role.

“I am fine with the minutes I get,” said Young, who has averaged 4.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and 10.9 minutes per game in 15 games. “Coach knows what he is doing. Like I said before, he played the game, and he’s coached a long time. He knows what he is doing.”

One-game suspension for Petteway: Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie on Thursday announced a one-game suspension of freshman Terran Petteway.

The 6-foot-6 guard/forward from Galveston, Texas, was ejected for throwing a punch that connected with KU’s Conner Teahan in Wednesday’s game. The foul was a Flagrant 2 foul, which, per NCAA rules, is cause for ejection from a game.

“No one could have a greater appreciation for playing hard more than I do,” Gillispie said. “Our success will be determined by playing hard at the highest level. However, we do not and will never condone an emotional outburst of the physical nature like what happened last night. We will learn how to compete extremely hard in a sportsmanlike manner and represent the Red Raiders in a way of class. That being said, Terran knew he acted wrongly and was immediately apologetic. He understands that he must suffer the consequences for his actions. We will all use this as learning experience and move forward in a positive way.”

Petteway will miss Saturday’s game at Texas A&M.

More on Wednesday’s road blowout: The 46 points allowed were second-fewest allowed by KU in a Big 12 game in the nine-year Self era. KU surrendered 45 versus Colorado (69-45) on Feb. 16, 2008, in Allen; 46 to Nebraska (92-46) on Feb. 17, 2007 in Allen; 46 to Colorado (75-46) on Feb. 14, 2007, in Boulder; and 46 to Missouri (79-46) on Feb. 18, 2006 in Allen. ... The 35-point win over Texas Tech was not only the biggest league road win for KU in the Self era, but biggest overall for KU since a 58-22 win over Missouri on Feb. 23, 1910 in Columbia. ... It was KU’s biggest overall win on the road since a 39-point decision over SMU (97-58) on Jan. 7, 1995, in Dallas. ... The 35-point road-win tied a conference record for margin of victory. Oklahoma State beat Texas A&M, 100-65 on Jan. 3, 1998 in Stillwater.

Fans up for honor: KU’s student section has been nominated for the Naismith Student Section of the Year Award. Fans can vote for KU at facebook.com/ILoveCollegeHoops. The Naismith Student Section of the Year Award is presented through a partnership of The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and Atlanta Tipoff Club. It is “dedicated to celebrating fans that love college hoops and provide support to their college basketball team with devotion and passion.”

“We’ve known for a long time that KU’s student section is the best in the country,” KU’s Self said in a release. “It would be neat if our fans visited the I Love College Hoops Facebook page and make sure our students win this award.”

The Naismith Student Section of the Year Award will be determined through two rounds of public votes, combined with voting by the Naismith Awards Board of Selectors. About 80 schools representing 21 conferences are vying for the title.

Comments

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I like RockChalk0808's idea to just call it "The Phog." It would give our opponents an eerie feel that a brick as cold as ice just dropped into the bottom of their stomachs, and as the time goes on, they will know they cant do it.

It would also add to that effect if we took the cheering out of the rock chalk chant.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

Hawk-a-Pallooza Rock Chalkers and my favorite: The "Self" appointed phog-a-natics or phog-a-holics

Andrew Washington 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like we're currently in 2nd place..keep voting!

RockChalk0808 2 years, 3 months ago

How about just calling it "The Phog?"

Would make the banner that much more appropriate while emphasizing our tradition and giving an eerie, intimidating feel.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 3 months ago

hmm how about..

1) ..how about we use Larryville as the student section-that might catch on with espn 2) The sixth man (..as in THE sixth man) 3) Naismith's nest (emphasizing our tradition) 4) Rock Chalk zone 5) raucous raptors (you know like the family of birds hawks belong to..)

GeoHawk15 2 years, 3 months ago

I like Phog Phanatics! Blue Phog seems too similar to Blue Mist, which Kuntucky fans use...

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Naismith Gnashers? Phog Rockers? Hawk Rawkers? (Rockers)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe we can gross them out;

The Zombie Zits The Puss Throwers Hurling Chunks Hawks The Moon Beamers The Blood Flood The Vomiteers The Stink Stains Hell's Yellers

WOW!! It must be late Friday afternoon!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

I would suggest we drop of all of this .. we don't need to be like Duke. We have the rock chalk chant .. our unique deal.

Beware of the Phog. That does it for me.

martyks 2 years, 3 months ago

A friend of mine from Tulsa came to a game with me in AFH. Three elderly ladies sat in front of us. During the game, their comments were informed, passionate, and accurate. They said things such as "Why doesn't he come to the ball when he gets a pass?" or "Where's the weak side help?" or "He's a big. Every time he puts it on the floor their guards eat him alive." About a month later, he told me he attended a game at Oklahoma St. During the game, an elderly woman sitting close by stood up and yelled at the referee. She yelled, and I quote: "Sissy boy! Sissy boy!" My friend said that he understood from that point forward what the difference was between KU fans and OSU fans. Informed and sophisticated passion is much better than a barn full of... well, you get my point.

andy acosta 2 years, 3 months ago

Something simple yet precise...."The Phog Allen's"

Nick Cole 2 years, 3 months ago

I posted this up higher, but it was in the middle of a long thread. Here it is again, just in case some of you missed it...

I like the Phog Phanatics. Blue Phog is pretty good too

Here are some more:

1. The Bird Cage*
  2. Jayhawk Phog
  3. Phrantic Phog
  4. The Hawk's Nest*

5. indicates my favorites

Thoughts, suggestions, continuations...

Side note not posted above: I do think Phog Phanatics sounds an awful lot like Cameron Crazies. Just saying. It's good, but not as original as some other suggestions. After all, we're KU, we invented this $#!*. We don't copy anyone.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

The Allen Assassins The Phog Dogs The Jayhawk Heathens The Allen Talons The Jaymaniacs The Hawk-a-zoids The Blue Phog The Chalk Rockers

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Nice progress, Kevin Young. Keep shuffling those feet on defense, and be a touch less active and more cautious with the hands. Your energy and enthusiasm are a delight to watch. Thanks for making the wise decision to come to Lawrence. Once you master Bill Self defense, you will give the Jayhawk lineup solid returning experience next season when so many new faces appear in uniform.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Where is the Phog Phanatics Nomination video? I see Duke's................where's Kansas'? Let's get on it people!

trueblue68 2 years, 3 months ago

Please note, that the "Cameron Crazies" have one complete courtside very close to the court so that they are seen & heard all the time during their games.

Until the Suits are moved from one of the courtsides, so the Students have at least one courtside NEAR THE COURT, instead of being on the North & South 40s( a mile away & way behind the Handicap folks & various other KU celebrities), the students will never win the trophy as they are never seen on TV during the game. Maybe the cameras do a cameo during time out, but they are not visible otherwise.

When I was at KU, we had one complete courtside right near the floor on the side with the 2 team benches.

Therefore, you now know that I am "Old School"

K-State like Duke,at least reserves one complete courtside for their students. I know that many other Universities do the same.

Thus Bramlage is also one of the loudest arenas in CB, with nearly 4,000 less fans.

After all is the college game not for the students????!!!!.

Anyway, our students, despite this disadvantage could win it, but it would be a "slam dunk" if they had a courtside access like the Dukie students.

2010jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

@BigManU, In regards to a good student name how about "Phog Phanatics." Its the name of a camping group that I was in and I believe is still being used now. Great name and really says it all!

chaggs 2 years, 3 months ago

If he keeps playing as smoothly as he has shown from time to time...isn't the obvious nickname "Jelly"?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Please feel free to vote for the Kansas student section..I know I will.....however, be warned that at best we will gain second place since the powers that be have already sent the trophy out to be engraved for the "Duke Crazies"!!!

"It ain't right...it ain't fair...it's just the way it's gonna be." [movie quote but I can't remember the darn movie!!]

tom123kufan 2 years, 3 months ago

As i stated a month ago...this is KU. No matter who is on the roster and no matter what the press is saying...if you want a Big 12 Season Championship you are going to have to first go through Lawrence Kansas.

Alex Berger 2 years, 3 months ago

Sports Illustrated on Monday's Baylor-Kansas matchup - "Allen Fieldhouse is where upstart Big 12 title dreams go to die... if you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ." So pumped!

Benjamin Jones 2 years, 3 months ago

How could the Jayhawks' 35-point win over SMU in '95 tie a conference record when it was achieved three years before OSU's 35-point win? The writer should have said it set a conference record, which was later tied.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

What a great quote by KY:

The edges, the sharp edges.....................what a great line! The kid is smart and knows exactly what to say! Loved the Bill Self quote as well. KY knows what he's doing................ nothing like a little public brown nosing to get a couple of extra minutes.

I think it's pretty well known that Tharpe will get "Spot" minutes most likely from here on out, but the one thing that concerns me is Teahan going forward. I'm not so much worried about him in Allen Fieldhouse because his shooting percentage and his overall effort level is better, however, his neutral and road woes concern me a little. He's definitely not all there away from AF so something to keep tabs on as KU gets deeper into conference play.

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

Great attitude Kevin Young. You will go far in life!

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess Hawaii isn't a state. At least not according to the people at the "Facebook/Love College Hoops" voting page.

Don't worry, though. I'll still be voting for my Jayhawk fans in the stands.

RCJHGKU!!!!!

Andrew Washington 2 years, 3 months ago

Hmm.. Dean Smith center?..or maybe Rupp? Those are nice KU alums- but lets go with Naismith Court and Allen Fieldhouse!

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 3 months ago

I think that they ought to poll the various announcers that come in to do games at AFH. They've seen lots of arenas, the student sections, felt the atmospheres... Almost every time I watch a game, if it's someone who hasn't been there or isn't used to AFH, they ALWAYS comment on the incredible energy and atmosphere. THERE IS NO PLACE BETTER FOR HOOPS, ANYWHERE!!!

Hilton Magic? Pifff. Octagon of Gloom? Please, take me to the library for some noise! Mizzou? What's that smell?? Is there a feedlot around here??

Rock the Chalk, Folks!!