Kansas defeats Texas Tech, 81-46

• 8 p.m., Jan. 11, 2012
  • United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, TX

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Milestone mauling: Bill Self gets 250th KU win

Kansas forward Kevin Young elevates for a dunk on the Texas Tech defense late in the first half Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012, at United Spirit Arena.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 81-46 victory over Texas Tech on Jan. 11, 2012, in Lubbock, Texas.

Download podcast

ESPN video

Highlights: KU vs. Oklahoma

— Nobody dumped a bucket of Gatorade on Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self late Wednesday night at Texas Tech’s United Spirit Arena.

His 250th career coaching victory in eight-plus seasons at KU went largely unnoticed. In fact, the Jayhawk players and their boss were unaware of the milestone until well after the game — a decisive 81-46 victory over Tech.

“Pipe just told me that,” Self said of radio color announcer Chris Piper, who informed Self he had improved his KU record to 250 victories against 49 defeats. Overall, he’s 457-154 in 19 seasons at KU, Illinois, Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

“I’m sure most of our fans think we should have about 265, which I do too, to be honest with you,” Self added, laughing. “Two hundred fifty in 8 1/2 years ... that’s not a bad number. Hopefully we can continue to improve on that.

“Not at all, that means absolutely nothing not only to me, my family, anybody who supports Kansas basketball. That is a totally irrelevant number,” he added, asked if he pays attention to milestone victories.

Self’s 250th victory turned out to be the most lopsided road win overall in the Self era and also in Big 12 road games.

The 35-point victory surpassed a 32-point win at Temple on Jan. 2, 2010. It bettered a 29-point victory at Colorado on Feb, 14, 2007.

“When Naadir Tharpe (nine points, seven minutes) is throwing in threes over outstretched hands — he looked good, though; he can shoot, he just hasn’t had the chance — it got out of control,” Self said of the final margin. “They missed open shots. We made guarded looks.”

KU used an 18-2 run to close the first half to build a 35-20 lead at the break.

Does Self like his chances to double the 250 total at KU?

“I don’t know,” he said. “That means people around here would have to put up with me for a long time. I don’t know if people want to do that. That’s be pretty awesome to get 500 at one school. Hey, I’d like to get to 300. That’d be my next goal, or to 251.”

KU senior guard Conner Teahan (eight points, 17 minutes) said he wasn’t aware of the 49-year-old Self going for KU win No. 250 entering the game, but wasn’t shocked, either.

“He’s a great coach. Obviously, he’s been very successful,” Teahan said. “I’m surprised he hasn’t won more, to be honest. He’s that good a coach.”

Kevin Young, who scored seven points and grabbed seven boards in 21 minutes, added of the 250-victory total: “That’s a crazy amount of wins. He’s a great coach. He played the game. He’s coached a long time. He knows what he’s doing.”

On Wednesday, KU’s back-breaking 18-2 run (that stretched all the way to 39-8 into the second half to give KU a 56-26 lead with 11:40 left) was sparked by a flagrant foul on Terran Petteway. He apparently punched — or at least whacked — Teahan in the face down low by the goal.

Teahan hit two free throws immediately following a Travis Releford three (12 points in 32 minutes) that opened the run.

“I know my mouth is bleeding,” Teahan said with a smile, asked if he was punched on purpose. “It didn’t hurt too bad. They (refs) said he punched me. It didn’t hurt too bad or anything like that.

KU’s Thomas Robinson, who picked up two early fouls, finished with 19 points and 12 boards in 19 minutes. Tyshawn Taylor had 15 points, five assists and four turnovers in 28 minutes.

“We had eight points with 10 minutes left (in first half). How did we get to 81?” Self asked. “Billy (Gillispie, Tech coach) was smart. They were physical early and had the game going the way they want. It was ugly, muddied. In stretches we played well, but we can’t take all the credit defensively. They shot miserably (31.4 percent, 1-of-11 from three).”

KU, which will meet Iowa State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse, will tangle with Baylor on Big Monday in Allen. Baylor won by 13 at Tech last Saturday.

“It’s hard to compare scores,” Self said. “I do think we’re playing a little bit better (of late). Our schedule nonconference from an RPI standpoint ... it’s not getting any credit at all. Few people have played five teams in the top 18. Iowa State is good. We get a chance to play another top-five team (Monday). Missouri will be in the Top 10 when we play them. We’ll get chances to play some more good teams.”

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Missouricat, I agree Mizzou is tough this year--should be great games at Lawrence and Columbia. I'm sure you know the hated-rivalry between Mizzou/KU...sad to see that go. Who will we turn the main guns on now? KState could be a rival. They hate us way more than we hate them. I respect crazyFrank and Snyder, but dont like purple fans. Texas is unworthy due to having Rick Barnes. What a laugher of a coach! Now "kentucky-light" (Baylor) with easy-to-hate-Scott Drew with his diss-us-in-the-tunnel move could be a good/great target. Playing coward in our tunnel still didnt help his squad, lol! I nominate him to wear the crosshairs...

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

@Missouricat It could be a good game and Ill be the first the admit that you guys have a good team this year. But if Thomas and Jeff are both doing well we will demolish you guys. As shown against KSU you guys are simply too small to be able to handle teams with big and talented front courts. However if you guys keep it out of the post or play a larger lineup (this will sacrifice talent but its probably the best way to go), you guys will be able to put up one hell of a fight.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

My framed autographed picture of Bill Self, which is on my wall, just got more valuable!

Congrats, Bill Self. You are simply the best!

Mark Wooden 2 years, 3 months ago

7 conference,1 National Title and highest grad rate in conference are the more impressive numbers.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

250 wins... Wyatt Earp said it best; "better than a hole in the head."

At least, I think it was Earp who coined the phrase. If anyone out there has a reference showing who came up with this one, I'd appreciate a response.

missouricat 2 years, 3 months ago

Please don't over look us, we will give you a good game.

Michael Leiker 2 years, 3 months ago

250 wins in and I don't think I will ever get used to the way this team blows people out in ugly fashion over and over. Just never seems like KS should be up by 30, then you look at the scoreboard and there it is.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 3 months ago

Watched the 08" championship game again last night. Man, our team was so good. I had to go back to rivals.com and see how good; we had like six 5 star players on that team, and almost everyone went pro. I miss recruiting like that... We don't have a lot to show for recruiting the last couple years after losing Henry and Selby so early. Not sure what's been preventing us from catching and keeping more "big fish", your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry for being a Debbie downer, congrats to HCBS.

jayhawker4real 2 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Self on win number 250. Great job! But even better is the back handed compliment to Mizzou: "Missouri will be in the Top 10 when we play them." That is about as close to bad mouthing a rival as Bill will ever get. I love it, everyone knows the stinking Tigers are hilariously over rated. I can't wait until Tyshawn, Elijah, and Travis just shut the M-I-Z W-H-O scoring down. Rock Chalk!

oldrocker 2 years, 3 months ago

Coach Self needs to stick around at least until we are at the top of the "All-time Wins" list...we are currently 17 behind Kentucky (2068) and 5 behind NC (2056).

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Classy comments by Teahan who is a football-seasoned tough kid. The game of college basketball is not designed for individuals who are reluctant to absorb punishment. No surprise that some shooting guards are hesitant to spend a preponderance of energy on sacrificial zips into the lane.

mikehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's see...do we want to put up with Coach for that many more wins? Now everyone all at once...YES! My no-brainer for the day.

martyks 2 years, 3 months ago

Come on Coach, please hint harder that you're planning on staying here forever. How many of any of us have a chance to have a statue out in front of a building like Allen Fieldhouse? If Coach Self stays here until he retires, his likeness will be out there. I know there are millions to be made, but to be celebrated 250 years from now? Not many of us have a chance to be celebrated ten years after we go. What do you think the pose should be on his statue? Okay, I'm getting ahead a decade or two, but let's see... Maybe the smiling Self smacking the program in his hands after his first championship... or maybe arms raised in celebration after his second one... or third.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

How on earth does a guy that "can't recruit" get to 250 wins at one school? Must be luck. (note the extreme sarcasm)

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

"“You know what? We were both getting a little physical under the basket. I think he turned and pushed and was a little higher than he expected and hit me in the mouth. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I didn’t like to see a guy get tossed so early in the game. I didn’t take offense to that.”"

Gheez, Conner... this isn't football. Even though you don't take offense to what happened you still need to put on the act because it works. This is competitive basketball, not Mike Tyson ear-biting school. The guy barely got ejected for punching you in the head because you didn't flinch. Watch the game footage and you'll see that TRele played it right and was the one that got this kid so worked up before the punch. All of this ended up changing the game entirely and helped us cruise to an easy win because TRele exploited this kid's immaturity.

If you need some help understanding, watch some soccer on the tube. Any soccer will do.

jayhwkr77 2 years, 3 months ago

Congrats to Coach Self on a very impressive Feat!

The debate for today: What is the over/under on wins for Self the rest of his career at KU, STARTING TODAY...

I'll start it off at 192. No basis behind that number whatsoever...just a gut feeling

feel free to make corrections or additions as they may come along

Michael Auchard 2 years, 3 months ago

Teahan is a stud. I doubt I'd have that good of an attitude if I got smacked in the face.

Thomas Michaud 2 years, 3 months ago

Just wondering ... Why is the ESPN video highlight of the KU / Oklahoma game and not KU / TT

Kevin Crook 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes we do want to put up with you for that long!!! Shoot for 1,000 as a Jayhawk coach!!!

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 3 months ago

Is Self really only 49? I thought he was a few years older than that. The way things have gone thus far, I'm hoping Self will put in Roy Williams type years with us or longer. He's got at least 16 years til retirement age, and maybe longer (I don't know what the university's current retirement policy is). There's no reason he can't make it to 500 with us, and maybe even more. I want his legacy to be something akin to Coach Ks at puke. He's got plenty of years to make it happen. Anyway, on to 251. I'll be there.

KPOP 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd like to see coach do his best Charlie Sheen at these interviews, "Winning".

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

While I share KUfaninPA's sentiments toward Coach Self I have to quote Bill here.

I just thought that was funny because I feel exactly the same way about 250. Who came up with a 250 celebration? Never heard of it before. I also agree that I'll be just as impressed with 251 or 252 when they come.

I celebrate coach every single game. I'm with you coach. 250 means nothing. Now I will say that in 5 years he will be approaching the elite coaching club of 600 total wins. I may crack a bottle of fine bubbly for that one. Although I'm sure LJW will beat me to it and kickoff the 500th victory party somewhere near the beginning of 2013. No worries, I'll raise a glass to that, but 600 is where the coaching lore begins to echo. 700 you become immortal. 800 you are a god. He'll get there.

Right now though, I'm sticking with my 250th ritual game-day Self celebration, in which I clap my hands, give a fist pump or two and say "Yes! now let's get after Iowa St."

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

You would never hear Coach Self say, "I almost called a timeout when we were up 1-0". Now let's kick some Cyclones tail on Saturday and pick up win 251! Have to take care of business at home.

One thing to note is KU's schedule the second half of conference play: Literally, the last 9 games of the season KU is on the road 5 times. From Feb 4th to Feb 13th is going to be a test like I haven't seen in a while.

At Missouri (Feb 4th) At Baylor (Feb 8th) Home against Okie State (Feb 11th) at KSU (Feb 13th)

2 years, 3 months ago

"He knows what he’s doing.”

DocBean 2 years, 3 months ago

Congrats Coach! You make us all proud.

southwindjay 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope he has at least another 750 wins over 24 more years at KU ! That is almost a 32 win per season average!!! Incredible, simply incredible.

Every time some of you wishy washy fans start to get down on Bill just look around and see who else has those kind of numbers.

Here's to hoping he stays till retirement.

always_a_jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Definitely glad to see Self get 250 wins total. Still wishing he had more trips to the Final Four, but hopefully that will come with time.

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear Coach Self,

Congratulations! I know you're a humble man and 250 wins here doesn't mean much to you, but it does to us. We are very proud of you. I used to like that guy who proceeded you, but when he decided he didn't really want us, I was more than happy to see him go. And then we got you, and you truly are our soul-mate. I honestly wouldn't trade you for any other coach in the world (except maybe Dan Gable, but I don't think he knows the pick-and-roll quite like you do).

Just keep on doing what you're doing-- filling us with joy twice a week every winter, introducing us to new young men every year whom we don't know personally but we still fall in love with just the same, run your program with class and dignity and respect toward the game and your opponents--and 500 will be here before you know it. I know you won't be counting, but we certainly will. Thanks Coach. We love you!

Peace, Your Jayhawk brothers and sisters

El Jay 2 years, 3 months ago

NOTETOSELF, I dont like your far too logical analysis this early in the morning. I hate the Spurs (am a Rockets fan) and you just made me want to root for them to be successful so Pop will stick around as long as possible. Jerk (obviously kidding)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to you Coach Self - and to all the great players over the years who have helped accomplish this considerable task.

RCJH !

ccarp 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope you stay at KU and get as many wins as you can, Coach Self. We are very excited that you are our coach!

NoteToSelf 2 years, 3 months ago

HCBS is confident, not cocky. He isn't going to come across in an interview like he is the greatest coach that ever set foot in AFH because that isn't his style. His style is to poke fun at himself and others. That is why he is so well liked by his peers. Self will stay at Kansas as long as he wants to coach in college because there isn't any other school that he would rather coach. KU has to worry about the San Antonio Spurs when Popovich retires because the GM is one of his best friends from OSU. Remember Chase Buford being invited to walk on at KU? No coincidence.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 3 months ago

Self is the only coach that stands a chance of breaking K's record...If and that's a big IF, he coaches another 15 years could have over 900 wins averaging only 27 games a year...average 30 wins and he'd be at 950 wins.... 1000 wins is within reach should Self continue coaching at Kansas for at least the next 18

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 3 months ago

I know coach Self is humble, but i wish he'd talk with more confidence when referring to how long he's going to stay at KU. I'd love to see him break Coach K's record while at Kansas. Self is the best coach in the country, hate to think of him ever leaving KU!

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

250 wins in 8.5 years averages out to an awesome 29.4 wins per season. Unf***ing believable!!!

And I like the fact that Self said, "Hey, I'd like to get to 300. That'd be my next goal, or to 251." Yes. What's past is past. The next game is always the most important. One game at a time, coach.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

250 and 49. Ridiculous.

To celebrate, I'm going to enjoy a pancake breakfast... out of respect for Texas Tech.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 3 months ago

big congrats to coach Self! but.. this worries me:

== “That means people around here would have to put up with me for a long time. I don’t know if people want to do that. That’s be pretty awesome to get 500 at one school..... ==

why not, coach?

Hank Cross 2 years, 3 months ago

Congrats to Coach Self on this milestone. This year could be his best performance yet. Considering all the losses to graduation, the NBA, the NCAA, etc. this could have been a major down year. Instead, this team deserves its place in the top 10.