Kansas defeats Texas Tech, 81-46

• 8 p.m., Jan. 11, 2012
  • United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, TX

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Milestone mauling: Bill Self gets 250th KU win

Kansas forward Kevin Young elevates for a dunk on the Texas Tech defense late in the first half Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012, at United Spirit Arena.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 81-46 victory over Texas Tech on Jan. 11, 2012, in Lubbock, Texas.

Download podcast

ESPN video

Highlights: KU vs. Oklahoma

— Nobody dumped a bucket of Gatorade on Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self late Wednesday night at Texas Tech’s United Spirit Arena.

His 250th career coaching victory in eight-plus seasons at KU went largely unnoticed. In fact, the Jayhawk players and their boss were unaware of the milestone until well after the game — a decisive 81-46 victory over Tech.

“Pipe just told me that,” Self said of radio color announcer Chris Piper, who informed Self he had improved his KU record to 250 victories against 49 defeats. Overall, he’s 457-154 in 19 seasons at KU, Illinois, Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

“I’m sure most of our fans think we should have about 265, which I do too, to be honest with you,” Self added, laughing. “Two hundred fifty in 8 1/2 years ... that’s not a bad number. Hopefully we can continue to improve on that.

“Not at all, that means absolutely nothing not only to me, my family, anybody who supports Kansas basketball. That is a totally irrelevant number,” he added, asked if he pays attention to milestone victories.

Self’s 250th victory turned out to be the most lopsided road win overall in the Self era and also in Big 12 road games.

The 35-point victory surpassed a 32-point win at Temple on Jan. 2, 2010. It bettered a 29-point victory at Colorado on Feb, 14, 2007.

“When Naadir Tharpe (nine points, seven minutes) is throwing in threes over outstretched hands — he looked good, though; he can shoot, he just hasn’t had the chance — it got out of control,” Self said of the final margin. “They missed open shots. We made guarded looks.”

KU used an 18-2 run to close the first half to build a 35-20 lead at the break.

Does Self like his chances to double the 250 total at KU?

KU senior guard Conner Teahan (eight points, 17 minutes) said he wasn’t aware of the 49-year-old Self going for KU win No. 250 entering the game, but wasn’t shocked, either.

“He’s a great coach. Obviously, he’s been very successful,” Teahan said. “I’m surprised he hasn’t won more, to be honest. He’s that good a coach.”

Kevin Young, who scored seven points and grabbed seven boards in 21 minutes, added of the 250-victory total: “That’s a crazy amount of wins. He’s a great coach. He played the game. He’s coached a long time. He knows what he’s doing.”

On Wednesday, KU’s back-breaking 18-2 run (that stretched all the way to 39-8 into the second half to give KU a 56-26 lead with 11:40 left) was sparked by a flagrant foul on Terran Petteway. He apparently punched — or at least whacked — Teahan in the face down low by the goal.

Teahan hit two free throws immediately following a Travis Releford three (12 points in 32 minutes) that opened the run.

“I know my mouth is bleeding,” Teahan said with a smile, asked if he was punched on purpose. “It didn’t hurt too bad. They (refs) said he punched me. It didn’t hurt too bad or anything like that.

“You know what? We were both getting a little physical under the basket. I think he turned and pushed and was a little higher than he expected and hit me in the mouth. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I didn’t like to see a guy get tossed so early in the game. I didn’t take offense to that.”

KU’s Thomas Robinson, who picked up two early fouls, finished with 19 points and 12 boards in 19 minutes. Tyshawn Taylor had 15 points, five assists and four turnovers in 28 minutes.

“We had eight points with 10 minutes left (in first half). How did we get to 81?” Self asked. “Billy (Gillispie, Tech coach) was smart. They were physical early and had the game going the way they want. It was ugly, muddied. In stretches we played well, but we can’t take all the credit defensively. They shot miserably (31.4 percent, 1-of-11 from three).”

KU, which will meet Iowa State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse, will tangle with Baylor on Big Monday in Allen. Baylor won by 13 at Tech last Saturday.

“It’s hard to compare scores,” Self said. “I do think we’re playing a little bit better (of late). Our schedule nonconference from an RPI standpoint ... it’s not getting any credit at all. Few people have played five teams in the top 18. Iowa State is good. We get a chance to play another top-five team (Monday). Missouri will be in the Top 10 when we play them. We’ll get chances to play some more good teams.”

Comments

Hank Cross 2 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Coach Self on this milestone. This year could be his best performance yet. Considering all the losses to graduation, the NBA, the NCAA, etc. this could have been a major down year. Instead, this team deserves its place in the top 10.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 6 months ago

big congrats to coach Self! but.. this worries me:

== “That means people around here would have to put up with me for a long time. I don’t know if people want to do that. That’s be pretty awesome to get 500 at one school..... ==

why not, coach?

PJ Karasek 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe he's just trying to be modest

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

250 and 49. Ridiculous.

To celebrate, I'm going to enjoy a pancake breakfast... out of respect for Texas Tech.

melrank 2 years, 6 months ago

That was good stuff. In hindsight the post of the night would have been: Tharpe for the triple stack flap jack!

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

250 wins in 8.5 years averages out to an awesome 29.4 wins per season. Unf***ing believable!!!

And I like the fact that Self said, "Hey, I'd like to get to 300. That'd be my next goal, or to 251." Yes. What's past is past. The next game is always the most important. One game at a time, coach.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 6 months ago

I know coach Self is humble, but i wish he'd talk with more confidence when referring to how long he's going to stay at KU. I'd love to see him break Coach K's record while at Kansas. Self is the best coach in the country, hate to think of him ever leaving KU!

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 6 months ago

Self is the only coach that stands a chance of breaking K's record...If and that's a big IF, he coaches another 15 years could have over 900 wins averaging only 27 games a year...average 30 wins and he'd be at 950 wins.... 1000 wins is within reach should Self continue coaching at Kansas for at least the next 18

master16 2 years, 6 months ago

this also depends on when coach K is retiring. could be soon, but you never know. look at that old geezer snyder down at ksu.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

^ Yep. Not sure K is going to be retiring anytime soon. He'll more than likely end up over 1000.

Cmill1221 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you not counting his wins at ORU, Tulsa, and Illinois?

NoteToSelf 2 years, 6 months ago

HCBS is confident, not cocky. He isn't going to come across in an interview like he is the greatest coach that ever set foot in AFH because that isn't his style. His style is to poke fun at himself and others. That is why he is so well liked by his peers. Self will stay at Kansas as long as he wants to coach in college because there isn't any other school that he would rather coach. KU has to worry about the San Antonio Spurs when Popovich retires because the GM is one of his best friends from OSU. Remember Chase Buford being invited to walk on at KU? No coincidence.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

There is a side of that idea that I don't think many take into consideration: college coaches have a high failure rate when they move to the NBA. There is only one guy who has won titles at both levels (and we all know who that is), but many, many, many, many more who have gone down in flames. So, if the Spurs GM were to hire Self, the odds aren't that slim that he would end up having to fire his close friend. Turning a regular friendship into a work friendship doesn't always make sense.

Of course, if Self is interested in going to the NBA (which I have some doubts he would be), then certainly he would be on the short list at San Antonio, but I don't think, by any means, it would be a guarantee.

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

"There is only one guy who has won titles at both levels"

And he was really an "NBA guy" who stepped down into the college world, not a college guy moving up to the NBA. So I'm not sure if he can even be used as the benchmark for college-to-pros coaching success.

deepind 2 years, 6 months ago

IMHO - After Coach Self wins another National Championship, we'll really have to worry about whether he'll stay! Until then we'll be safe.

ccarp 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope you stay at KU and get as many wins as you can, Coach Self. We are very excited that you are our coach!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to you Coach Self - and to all the great players over the years who have helped accomplish this considerable task.

RCJH !

El Jay 2 years, 6 months ago

NOTETOSELF, I dont like your far too logical analysis this early in the morning. I hate the Spurs (am a Rockets fan) and you just made me want to root for them to be successful so Pop will stick around as long as possible. Jerk (obviously kidding)

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 6 months ago

Dear Coach Self,

Congratulations! I know you're a humble man and 250 wins here doesn't mean much to you, but it does to us. We are very proud of you. I used to like that guy who proceeded you, but when he decided he didn't really want us, I was more than happy to see him go. And then we got you, and you truly are our soul-mate. I honestly wouldn't trade you for any other coach in the world (except maybe Dan Gable, but I don't think he knows the pick-and-roll quite like you do).

Just keep on doing what you're doing-- filling us with joy twice a week every winter, introducing us to new young men every year whom we don't know personally but we still fall in love with just the same, run your program with class and dignity and respect toward the game and your opponents--and 500 will be here before you know it. I know you won't be counting, but we certainly will. Thanks Coach. We love you!

Peace, Your Jayhawk brothers and sisters

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

You can bet he's counting, all right – just not bragging. No one is as successful as he's been and continues to be without being aware of every nuance of the record and how it might affect the next game. He will tell us to start thinking about 500 after getting past 499. Meantime, the milestones come twice a week, November to March, as long as that fire in the belly continues.

southwindjay 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope he has at least another 750 wins over 24 more years at KU ! That is almost a 32 win per season average!!! Incredible, simply incredible.

Every time some of you wishy washy fans start to get down on Bill just look around and see who else has those kind of numbers.

Here's to hoping he stays till retirement.

DocBean 2 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Coach! You make us all proud.

2 years, 6 months ago

"He knows what he’s doing.”

Chris Shaw 2 years, 6 months ago

You would never hear Coach Self say, "I almost called a timeout when we were up 1-0". Now let's kick some Cyclones tail on Saturday and pick up win 251! Have to take care of business at home.

One thing to note is KU's schedule the second half of conference play: Literally, the last 9 games of the season KU is on the road 5 times. From Feb 4th to Feb 13th is going to be a test like I haven't seen in a while.

At Missouri (Feb 4th) At Baylor (Feb 8th) Home against Okie State (Feb 11th) at KSU (Feb 13th)

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

While I share KUfaninPA's sentiments toward Coach Self I have to quote Bill here.

I just thought that was funny because I feel exactly the same way about 250. Who came up with a 250 celebration? Never heard of it before. I also agree that I'll be just as impressed with 251 or 252 when they come.

I celebrate coach every single game. I'm with you coach. 250 means nothing. Now I will say that in 5 years he will be approaching the elite coaching club of 600 total wins. I may crack a bottle of fine bubbly for that one. Although I'm sure LJW will beat me to it and kickoff the 500th victory party somewhere near the beginning of 2013. No worries, I'll raise a glass to that, but 600 is where the coaching lore begins to echo. 700 you become immortal. 800 you are a god. He'll get there.

Right now though, I'm sticking with my 250th ritual game-day Self celebration, in which I clap my hands, give a fist pump or two and say "Yes! now let's get after Iowa St."

Thomas Michaud 2 years, 6 months ago

Made me chuckle to read: “I don’t know,” he said. “That means people around here would have to put up with me for a long time. I don’t know if people want to do that. That’s be pretty awesome to get 500 at one school. Hey, I’d like to get to 300. That’d be my next goal, or to 251.”

"That's be pretty awesome" ... LOL!!!

I'm all for Self staying for as long as he wants and makes his legacy at KU.

KPOP 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to see coach do his best Charlie Sheen at these interviews, "Winning".

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Their retirement policy is that they can't force someone to retire. It's against Federal law.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes we do want to put up with you for that long!!! Shoot for 1,000 as a Jayhawk coach!!!

Thomas Michaud 2 years, 6 months ago

Just wondering ... Why is the ESPN video highlight of the KU / Oklahoma game and not KU / TT

Michael Auchard 2 years, 6 months ago

Teahan is a stud. I doubt I'd have that good of an attitude if I got smacked in the face.

WilburNether 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, good response by Teahan. In the slo-mo replays, it appeared that the Texas Tech thug tried to throw a punch to the head, but happened to hit Teahan with his forearm -- and that was after he tried unsuccessfully to throw Teahan aside with both hands. No question it was a Flagrant 2 and merited an ejection, and now a subsequent suspension.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

With a name like "Yahweh" you should expect him to turn the other cheek.....

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice. But Yahwey (YHWY) is the Hebrew name for God. Have you read the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament lately? The Guy is a little bit vengeful.........

Robert Murphy 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes I was reading it just this morning. Once I start I can hardly put it down.

OKHawkFan 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow LaJayhawk no offense but your Old Testament theology is terrible. Aside from getting the (yhwy) part right I mean. Go ahead and start quoting Leviticus for me please I'm ready. "It's not the parts of the bible I don't understand that disturb me, it's the parts of the bible that I do understand that disturb me." Mark Twain.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's be fair: If you watch the whole series of events there, Teahen started the whole thing off by elbowing (maybe accidentally) the Tech player in the head. The refs didn't see that (and I'm guessing most KU fans didn't either). That got the Tech player all fired up, as it would most humans. Then the Tech player retaliated by trying to throw an elbow too. When that didn't work, he turned around and threw a punch.

The Tech player was frustrated. He shouldn't have thrown a punch, but Teahen was not 100% innocent of any foul play.

I do think the Tech player got what he deserved, because violence has no place in basketball. It is sad to see a starter get tossed from a game so early though.

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

You may be right, and if you are, then I think it would be fair to say that the "scuffle" could have ended with each player throwing an elbow.

Teahan's initial elbow (which I did not see, but I will take your word for)

Lil' Wayne's retaliatory elbow (which came before he ever tried to yank Teahan behind him and subsequently brain him with his forearm)

Bang bang. Each guy gets a little shot in and we move on. The fact that the officials didn't catch either elbow means that neither player's team has to suffer. Bonus.

The problem here--and the reason I'm willing to let Teahan off completely blame-free--is that the real issue involved the two EXTRA "messages" that Lil' Wayne felt the need to deliver to Teahan in addition to the retaliatory elbow. If they hadn't been on an NCAA basketball court, I have no doubt that Lil' Wayne would have just jumped Teahan, brawl-style.

First the "yank him behind me by putting both hands on his torso and pulling" move that should have been a loose ball foul. Then, the forearm shiver/punch towards Teahan's head that I can only imagine was something that Lil' Wayne thought he could sneak in during the commotion of the players moving to transition to the other end of the court.

Both plays were beyond "frustration" plays. They were a POS kid making POS decisions and in general treating the game like a street fight.

The funny thing is that you would expect Lil' Wayne to be a little more cautious with his behavior, having gotten T'd up for a strange play where he tried to slap the ball away from Travis while he was taking it out to inbound the ball.

I guess bein' a thug is a way of life. You can't shut it off because of some fascist "officials" are around...

:-)

jhawkr 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, but Teahan and stud do not belong in the same sentence or paragraph. Tougher then your average ole boy would suffice !

jayhwkr77 2 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Coach Self on a very impressive Feat!

The debate for today: What is the over/under on wins for Self the rest of his career at KU, STARTING TODAY...

I'll start it off at 192. No basis behind that number whatsoever...just a gut feeling

feel free to make corrections or additions as they may come along

Tomasu2012 2 years, 6 months ago

Self is currently in his 9th year and turns 50 in December of 2012. Coming into this season, he had 237 wins which averages out to be about 29.6 wins per season. With more Big XII games each season and age possibly becoming a factor down the road, let's say he wins an average of 27 games per season until the age of 60 when he wins a National Championship and rides off into the sunset. I don't see Self staying here until he's as old as time. Assuming we win about 27 games this year and continue on my 27 games/season average he will win about 284 more games. I'LL TAKE THE OVER

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

"If you need some help understanding, watch some soccer on the tube. Any soccer will do."

You ain't lying!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the " and soccer" comment... I actually have a lot of respect for women's soccer because they don't "flop" nearly as much as men do, for whatever reason.

Your point is correct though.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

How on earth does a guy that "can't recruit" get to 250 wins at one school? Must be luck. (note the extreme sarcasm)

martyks 2 years, 6 months ago

Come on Coach, please hint harder that you're planning on staying here forever. How many of any of us have a chance to have a statue out in front of a building like Allen Fieldhouse? If Coach Self stays here until he retires, his likeness will be out there. I know there are millions to be made, but to be celebrated 250 years from now? Not many of us have a chance to be celebrated ten years after we go. What do you think the pose should be on his statue? Okay, I'm getting ahead a decade or two, but let's see... Maybe the smiling Self smacking the program in his hands after his first championship... or maybe arms raised in celebration after his second one... or third.

kugrad93 2 years, 6 months ago

As good as he is, Self is still 168 wins behind Roy, 198 behind ted Owens and 340 behind Phog Allen, so the statue talk seems a bit silly.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you saying he hasn't passed Ted Owens on your statue list yet? If he gets 340 more does he get a building and a statue? I don't know how this works.

I say any coach with a ring gets at least a statue. Done. That means Roy can have a statue... in North Carolina!

Larry gets a statue. Bill gets a statue.

kugrad93 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a statue list. The building is named after Allen, and he has a statue. The street and the court are named for Naismith. I'm good with all that. I don't know that anybody else needs a statue at this point.

I would not give one to Larry. He was only here five years, and he got the program put on probation.

You're right that Self has a ring. He also has fewer Final Fours than Allen, Owens, Brown and Williams, who all had at least two.

It's odd to talk about giving a statue to a current coach. What would you do if he left? KU fans don't take it well when a coach quits to take another job. It took years for people to forgive Larry Brown, and some still resent Roy because he ONLY stayed for 15 years.

I thought it was odd when UNC and KSU named their arenas/stadiums after active coaches. Coaches have big enough egos and senses of entitlement (Self is modest compared to most), so why feed that mentality? They can be honored AFTER they retire.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh absolutely after retirement. I'm with you on that. No statues of current coaches.

Larry Brown still loves KU and visits all the time. KU still loves Larry too. No reason a stupid NCAA ruling should ruin his tenure here. He's arguably the greatest basketball coach in history considering he's the only guy to win it in college and the pros. Statue.

As far as I'm concerned, KU related icons are statue worthy. Larry is iconic. Self is carving his icon right now. Danny Manning, icon. Wilt, icon. If Mr. Zero goes on to lead KU to a ring and picks up a POY on the way, icon.

Roy coughed up his statue when he picked another blue-blood over Kansas. Larry went to the pros and left us a ring so it's different.

Hey I love statues. What can I say?

mikehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's see...do we want to put up with Coach for that many more wins? Now everyone all at once...YES! My no-brainer for the day.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

You'll never get him fired. Give it up.

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Classy comments by Teahan who is a football-seasoned tough kid. The game of college basketball is not designed for individuals who are reluctant to absorb punishment. No surprise that some shooting guards are hesitant to spend a preponderance of energy on sacrificial zips into the lane.

oldrocker 2 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self needs to stick around at least until we are at the top of the "All-time Wins" list...we are currently 17 behind Kentucky (2068) and 5 behind NC (2056).

FarSideHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought we were ahead of UNC?!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

As of today we are 3 wins ahead of UNC all time.

At the end of last year we were 5 wins up. UNC has 14 wins to our 12 so far this season which makes the total KU - 2050 and UNC - 2047

Kentucky has 15 wins so far this year putting them at 2067

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

My apologies, the wins I listed for this year didn't include games played this week (was looking at the rankings on ESPN, which didn't include this week yet). Each team picked up one more win so far this week. So here is the current total, as of Thursday, January 12th, 2012:

Kentucky - 2068 KU - 2051 UNC - 2048

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

You may need to check your math.

As of the end of last season (2010-11), the standings were:

2,052 - Kentucky (16) 2,038 - Kansas (13) 2,033 - North Carolina (15)

I included each team's wins for this season (2011-12) in parentheses, and when added to the season-beginning totals, the new standings, as of 1:44pm CST on 1/12/2012 are:

2,068 - Kentucky 2,051 - Kansas 2,048 - North Carolina

(also worth noting that UK and UNC have each played one more game than has KU this year)

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

And that's what I get for being slow on the uptake. Repeating information that others have already provided.

Sigh.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

No problem. Good to know that I can add :-)

jayhawker4real 2 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Self on win number 250. Great job! But even better is the back handed compliment to Mizzou: "Missouri will be in the Top 10 when we play them." That is about as close to bad mouthing a rival as Bill will ever get. I love it, everyone knows the stinking Tigers are hilariously over rated. I can't wait until Tyshawn, Elijah, and Travis just shut the M-I-Z W-H-O scoring down. Rock Chalk!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Watched the 08" championship game again last night. Man, our team was so good. I had to go back to rivals.com and see how good; we had like six 5 star players on that team, and almost everyone went pro. I miss recruiting like that... We don't have a lot to show for recruiting the last couple years after losing Henry and Selby so early. Not sure what's been preventing us from catching and keeping more "big fish", your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry for being a Debbie downer, congrats to HCBS.

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

Recruiting is cyclical. The explanation for "what's been preventing us from catching and keeping more 'big fish'" is that no program ever captures and keeps top-of-the-line "big fish" year-in, year-out.

Kids are fickle. What appeals to them will be wildly different from year to year, and Self doesn't strike me as the type to do the whole "tell them what they want to hear and worry about it later", as some other coaches are clearly comfortable doing.

Like it or not, that approach--the "come in and work hard and earn your playing time" instead of "you're a star, come to Kansas and show off your talent!"--is going to lose some of the highest-rated kids. The ones at the top of the Rivals lists are more likely to have been told what they wanted to hear for their entire careers, and find Self's frankness to be off-putting.

Kansas will have teams like the 2008 team again. It was a combination of getting top-rated recruits AND unique circumstances (remember--Rush would have been gone from that team if he hadn't blown out his knee in an unofficial NBA workout in the off-season) that led to having more than a single class' recruits. It's not just about recruiting the 5-star guys, but finding a way to recruit the 5-star guys who will be around in 2-3 years to combine their experience with their talent.

The thing about Self that most don't seem to appreciate is that his approach may create some "down" recruiting years, but that won't typically correspond to "down" performance years. This team is a prime example--our talent (at least according to Rivals and other recruit-projection services) is down this year in comparison to the 2008 year, for example, but the results are not as far off as the reactions of KU fans would have you believe.

The other approach--telling top-rated recruits what they want to hear--may be fairly successful at bringing in supreme talent, but can become problematic as soon as you don't get those top-rated recruits.

Does anyone think Calipari could have this Kansas team currently #2 in the Pomeroy ratings (and #9 by Sagarin)? I don't.

While I can appreciate your opinion, I think your choice to include a comment about recruiting "failures" on an article talking about Self reaching a milestone win in a season that most expected KU to be mediocre is a little asinine.

Maybe save the "Debbie downer" comments for the articles dealing with losses, or recruiting misses... just sayin'.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Good points regarding recruiting. Sorry to offend you or Bill... I wasn't trying to be overly negative, I watched the 08" game to celebrate the landmark last night and I woke up comparing quality of the 08" team to this years squad. I'm too impatient to wait for a negative article :-p

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

Haha. Fair enough.

I think Bill's skin is plenty thick, but I'm a little sensitive ;-)

Michael Leiker 2 years, 6 months ago

250 wins in and I don't think I will ever get used to the way this team blows people out in ugly fashion over and over. Just never seems like KS should be up by 30, then you look at the scoreboard and there it is.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

A testament to the awesomeness that is Bill Self.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't worry, everyone has the games circled. Like Self said, Mizzou is a good team and will be a top 10 team when we play.

Thanks for consistently keeping it classy!!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Should be an excellent game. At both locations.

Mark Wooden 2 years, 6 months ago

7 conference,1 National Title and highest grad rate in conference are the more impressive numbers.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

My framed autographed picture of Bill Self, which is on my wall, just got more valuable!

Congrats, Bill Self. You are simply the best!

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 6 months ago

@Missouricat It could be a good game and Ill be the first the admit that you guys have a good team this year. But if Thomas and Jeff are both doing well we will demolish you guys. As shown against KSU you guys are simply too small to be able to handle teams with big and talented front courts. However if you guys keep it out of the post or play a larger lineup (this will sacrifice talent but its probably the best way to go), you guys will be able to put up one hell of a fight.