Thursday, January 12, 2012

Former D-coordinator Clint Bowen to coach special teams for Charlie Weis

Former Kansas University defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, who coached at KU from 1998-2009, will return to Lawrence to serve under new head coach Charlie Weis, according to Journal-World sources.

Two years after leaving, Clint Bowen is coming home.

Bowen, the former Kansas University player and assistant coach who left Lawrence after Mark Mangino’s forced resignation following the 2009 season, has been named KU’s new special-teams coach, the university announced Wednesday.

After leaving KU, where he served as co-defensive coordinator during the Jayhawks’ Orange Bowl season and was promoted to defensive coordinator for 2008 and 2009, Bowen spent one season as the DC at Western Kentucky and held the same position this season at North Texas.

Prior to becoming a defensive coordinator, Bowen coached just about everything imaginable at KU, including special teams. From 1998-2006, he coached running backs, tight ends and safeties and was KU’s special-teams coordinator from 2001-05.

A native of Lawrence, Bowen has talked often about his fondness for KU, where he starred as a defensive back from 1992-93.

During his 12 seasons as a KU assistant, the Jayhawks won 66 games and were 3-1 in four bowl appearances.

Bowen, who has strong recruiting ties in Dallas, also will coach a defensive position that has not yet been determined. KU is still searching for a defensive coordinator, and his qualifications likely will determine what position Bowen will coach.

Also on Wednesday, KU announced the addition of Jeff Blasko, a native of Pittsburgh who comes to KU after spending a season working under Weis at the University of Florida.

Blasko, who was named UF’s interim quarterbacks coach after Weis’ departure, will coach tight ends and serve as assistant special-teams coordinator at Kansas.

Prior to his season at UF, Blasko spent three seasons at Akron as a graduate assistant working with the offense and helping with recruiting. He was the Zips’ graduate assistant from 2008-09 and also worked the 2010 season under current KU recruiting coordinator/wide receivers coach Rob Ianello.

Grimes to Arkansas State

Former Auburn assistant Gus Malzahn did not wind up in Lawrence, but he is now connected to the Kansas football program in another way.

Malzahn, now the head coach at Arkansas State, recently announced the hiring of J.B. Grimes as his offensive-line coach. Grimes, a native of Clarendon, Ark., coached the O-line at KU for two seasons under Turner Gill. He is a 29-year coaching veteran, and his previous stops include Arkansas, Virginia Tech, Texas A&M;, East Carolina and Mississippi State.

Crawley concerned

KU fans aren’t the only ones eager to find out the identity of the Jayhawks’ new defensive coordinator.

Kenneth Crawley, a four-star cornerback from Washington D.C.’s Woodson High, said on Twitter earlier this week that he was considering moving his visit back a week because the Jayhawks still didn’t have a defensive coordinator and were missing some key members of their defensive staff.

Crawley, 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, was expected to visit KU sometime this week, but now may be looking to schedule his visit for the weekend of Jan. 28.

According to Rivals.com, Crawley is the No. 2-ranked cornerback in Maryland and the 21st-ranked player at his position overall. He recently backed out of an oral commitment to Tennessee and opened up his recruitment.

Crawley also plans to visit Michigan State and Maryland and has offers from 22 other BCS schools, including Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, of the Big 12.

Juco RB to visit KU

Taylor Cox, a 5-11, 205-pound tailback from College of the Siskiyous in Weed, Calif., is expected to visit KU this weekend.

Cox, an All-American selection following the 2011 season, ran for 1,507 yards and 14 touchdowns in 10 games this season.

Originally from Mill Creek, Wash., Cox owns the school record for rushing yards in a game (326), rushing yards in a career (2,744) and touchdowns in a career (31).

Newly named wide-receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Ianello has been the lead man for Cox, and it appears he already has made quite an impression.

“He said they are really excited to have me in for a visit,” Cox said of Ianello in an interview with JayhawkSlant.com. “I am ready to get in there and meet them. I want to find a place I feel comfortable. I want to find a place I can get playing time and have an impact on winning games. I want to be around positive people.”

Comments

gardenjay 8 years, 5 months ago

Why cannot Weis mention to Crawley who the DC is right now? If it is going to be announced later for some reason or another, just tell Crawley to keep it confidential. Then at least he can put his decision to bed.

I think the DC announcement dragging on and on has been weird.

David Robinett 8 years, 5 months ago

ha! the kid would promise, then tweet it 30 seconds later.

(same level of tweeting self control as Tyshawn)

Clarence Glasse 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Weis hasn't chosen or finalized the DC yet and there isn't one to keep hidden. Guess we and recruits will have to be patient for awhile.

jgkuckelman 8 years, 5 months ago

The guys on 810 this morning brought up an interesting theory as to why no DC has been named : apparently there are a fair number of DC positions out there, particularly in the SEC. So, some guys may simply be waiting for other chips to fall before committing anywhere. Bottom line : the only guy who knows for sure what is going on is CW, and I'm OK with that.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Repeating myself....but heavy recruitment of a Juco running back, who states that he wants to play right away, suggests that we may be losing one or more guys from our stable of quality backs.

On the DC front, I think that it may be a case of CW having difficulty getting the right person to accept. Groh would have been great but it was a long shot to get him out of the ACC, he's probably trolling for a HC job in that league. Most NFL guys are going to wait and see if they get NFL jobs.

However, I still believe that Weis will get the right guy for the job.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I agree. RB seemed like the best position on the team. Even without Miller, Sims is good and Pierson and Bourbon are both former 4 star guys. Really interested to know what is going on there.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 5 months ago

Are there no other pics of Bowen available? I swear this pic has been used in every article about him since 2008.

I was actually was in a class with him my frosh year as a PE major. I changed majors by soph year. He was a good dude...very laid back guy. I was always amazed by how he managed to stay at KU for so long. He's a towny, and proud of it. Let's face it, if you can make a living there, Lawrence is an awesome place to be.

Jim Jackson 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't think we can count Darrian out just yet. Tait, didn't you previoulsy state that you think Miller will be here next season? That being said, if Miller is here, not a good move by Ianello to come in and start recruiting other inferior RBs.

Seems as if no other big time programs are recruting this kid, Cox.

Miller is a flat out stud and once he gets bigger, faster and stronger, he will be playing on Sundays. Kid was crushing it as a true frosh. Sure hope he sticks around.

shelleysue 8 years, 5 months ago

I certainly want to see him stick around too. Darrian, I hope you're part of turning this program around. You are exciting to watch and help make KU football fun. I know there are some bumps right and you feel bad for some of your teammates, but I sure hope you you remain a Jayhawk! Rock Chalk!

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand why Miller would want to play anywhere other than at Kansas. What an opportunity for him to continue to play in front of his biggest fans...his friends and family. Everyone keeping an eye on the program loves this kid. He is so explosive and fun to watch. I think under Weis our running backs will truly shine. I think there is a misconception that we will be throwing the ball like TT or OSU. That won't be the case! Weis's offenses are balanced and often times run heavy if he can dictate that kind of a game. There's no reason why Miller and the rest of these fine backs can't remain and shine in this offense.

That said....yeah, I'm a little concerned too if we're recruiting Juco RBs.

Sf Boggsz 8 years, 5 months ago

It may not be Miller's choice. Many of the kids who may be leaving are being asked to leave because of academic deficiencies. Not saying Miller is one of them, however it could be a possibility. I was shocked to learn the Gill didn't have a handle on our team's tutoring/academic progress. This could be Gill's biggest downfall.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Didn't realize that was an issue and is indeed a surprise under Gill's tenure. Well, hopefully we'll be able to hold on to Miller, Bourbon, or Pierson...because any of these three guys could have a huge career at Kansas.

Matt Tait 8 years, 5 months ago

A couple of weeks ago, a solid source told me that it was about 80% likely that Miller would stay... But that was two weeks ago.

Haven't heard a whole lot lately, but it's definitely looking more and more like he might be out of here. That doesn't really surprise me and from a pure football perspective it's too bad. But if this were just about football, the kid would be staying, no question about it.

My advice is to prepare yourselves for him to leave... For what it's worth, I haven't heard a single thing about any of the other backs leaving.

Jim Jackson 8 years, 5 months ago

Tait, here's what I don't get; if Miller was having academic issues, he now has spring semester and the summer to get them sorted out, which could help him qualify if that's the case?

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

The only thing that I can say about the Cox kid is that OU did pretty well this year with an RB out of nowhere. Though I think that the player rankings are more often right than wrong, they certainly aren't remotely close to being perfect. Fingers crossed, I guess.

I thought that Reggie was our running back hunter, but good luck to Ianello. Let's see if he can start closing the deal on some good players.

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 5 months ago

I guess Bryce Butler?? (spelling) picked SDSU which wasn't a surprise. He wanted to stay in Southern Cal

Clay Malloy 8 years, 5 months ago

So far so good. CW was a great hire, I'm confident he will find the right DC. The kids want to play for this guy which is exciting. Having spent 8 years around SEC football it will be nice to see a heightened level of enthusiasm to KU football. Next step - remove the track to make playing in LA a real football experience. Go Hawks!

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 5 months ago

I understand Miller is upset but really come on, when Weis was hired he was hired to straighten out this football program, not pamper to each player no matter what name (isn't) on the back of the jersey. I mean if we actually won more than 7 games last year then you can get angry on some of his buddies not getting scholarships renewed or whatever he is mad about.

I don't want to see him go but I also want to have players that actually want to be there.

JayHok 8 years, 5 months ago

I like Miller an awful lot and I believe most KU fans do.

It's a transition for these players and even though we saw his feelings shared publically, it's understandable.

The thing to keep in mind with all of this is that Weis is serious about the strength staff. He is serious about bringing in the best coaches he can within the bounds of chemistry. Like Weis said, we will lose a few current KU players---IMHO many will be the ones who aren't tough enough for the offseason workouts. I really suspect Miller will come around. The reason is this is how NFL teams operate. This is how USC operates. This is how Weis first two BCS teams at ND operated.

If you put in the time in the offseason with a highly competitive staff, not only will you be a highly competitive team when the season starts, the players who were elite talent become much closer to NFL talent. Even better, their habits become formed for the NFL, and if not the NFL, life. NFL teams bring in the best possible players, even as backups. The elite basketball teams of North Carolina, Kansas and Duke do this as well.

What we are seeing is a football program that's not going to take any more crap.

Those who want to stay and compete with a growing number of elite players and strategize with the best offensive mind in football, the owner of four super bowl rings, I salute you.

Hard work pays.

RCJ

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 5 months ago

Has anyone heard an update on Cordarelle Patterson?? He is Keon Stower's cousin that Keon claimed he would recruit to KU. Patterson is listed as one of the top JUCO WR's.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 5 months ago

Speed, speed, speed at running back and WR and on kick returns. The fastest guy we can get. If Cox is faster than Miller, Sims, Pierson or Bourban, then get him. We need explosiveness. Gill talked about it. I would like to see it. "On any play they can take it the distance."

Would like to see our redshirts in the future be members of the track squad.

Does anybody know, Can we take someone who has had a scholie for track for two years and give him a scholie for football for four? Or is it a max of four years all sports??????

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

There is speed and then there is football speed. It's not as easy as you are making it sound. For one, most tracksters aren't in football shape...and two, running with pads on is different than just running. There's a huge difference so you really can't go out and grab guys off the track and suit them up. I'm not saying there aren't two-sport athelets because there are, but generally this is not the case.

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 5 months ago

On another topic. Jerry Palm just released his final college football computer rankings. With all of the talk of the Mighty SEC, check out the top 15 strength of schedule rankings.

1.) KU 2.) Oklahoma State 3.) Oklahoma 4.) Texas A&M 5.) Texas 6.) Iowa State 7.) LSU 8.) K-State 9.) South Carolina 10.) Baylor 11.) Mizzou 12.) Texas Tech 13.) Auburn 14.) Tennessee 15.) Alabama

JayHok 8 years, 5 months ago

Dude this is so funny considering what we had to slog through the last couple years with HCTG's strength staff.

What many of us had suspected is official now. If you're an elite talent that signs with Weis, your chances of playing on Sundays just went through the roof.

Kansas = #1 football strength facilities/staff in the nation.

RCJ!

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Um, this is strength of schedule...not top facilities in the country. But yeah, our new S&C coach seems like a good hire.

JayHok 8 years, 5 months ago

Haha! Now for the national football rankings report on strength staff combined with strength facilities as reported by a poster on this site

1 Kansas football

2 Alabama football

3 Ohio State football

4 Florida football

5 USC football

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 5 months ago

Nine B12 teams in the top ten despite having KU on their schedule. Now T H A T' S impressive!!!

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 5 months ago

Right! KU was #1 because they didn't have to play KU. That would have dropped their SOS for sure. LOL.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

Day 2 of @ahperse trying to figure out twitter. So far I can tell you that you have to look far and wide to find people you want to "follow". When you do find them and compile a list you get confused on your homepage as to who ku_baller_booty_popper (fake name, but you get the point) is and why do you care what he is having for lunch. Or you have to figure out if the person is saying something, or is it a rap lyric from a song that you are not cool enough to know. Either way, there are 4-5 misspelled words in each "tweet" and you find yourself shaking your head. Oops! I mean SMH.

Matt Kenton 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you. Been trying it out more the last week and not sold yet. And I think the point of the # is to put your tweet in a group with others on the same topic. Closing out a tweet with a summary statement crammed into one word kind of misses the point. Jayhawks took care of business in Lubbock #justlikeIthoughtwewould

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to the future of communication. It sucks. The times they are a changin'.

OKHawkFan 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah and don't forget message board posts about people who like to brag about how great they are with their black card and piles of money they sleep with. Those people are annoying too. You've got to be up to date with rap lyrics I believe you even quoted Humpty once to me. Guess you're an old school rap kinda guy huh? Please tell me you'll be back to the old Ahperse if CW can't win at KU.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

You got something twisted. It cost me piles of money to sleep with...oh better stop before I get in trouble!

OKHawkFan 8 years, 5 months ago

ha ha that won't get you in trouble to talk about it. Maybe having to explain what the antibiotics are for is a different story... Well I gotta roll my helicopter just arrived. I hate taking the helicopter but my Rolls is in the shop...

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 5 months ago

"Eating popcorn and surfing the net. Life is great!"

Twitter is littered with this kinda' crap!

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 5 months ago

"Weed", California. Why doesn't that surprise me?

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 5 months ago

COEsoCOLD27 Rodney Coe "@Phil_Does_IT: Ay Kansas Fans @COEsoCOLD27 Rodney Mother **** Coe is going commit to KU #JayhawkNation!! HELl YeAH!!!".swag we does it??

Can anyone tell me what that says?

JayHok 8 years, 5 months ago

Does this mean Weis just landed a four **** star?

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 5 months ago

No twitter sucks... I cant ever understand it but then after that it was said

JayhawkTalk Jayhawk-Talk.com Re: Coe #funwhileitlasted RT @JGar09: @JThommm na he is just talkin to him but he's goin to Iowa

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 5 months ago

This is from May 27, 2011

I seem to remember it came down to Iowa & KU. He chose Iowa but didn't qualify. He went to a JUCO & now could be eligible to transfer.

Good news if true!!

JayHok 8 years, 5 months ago

This is truly incredible if true. Watch this guy's high school footage. He's already played a year at Juco which is great news on the strength training and game experience. Can play running back or Linebacker, either way, lookout!

Tell me this kid doesn't remind you a little of B. Jackson!