Wednesday, January 11, 2012

KU football announces additions of Clint Bowen, Jeff Blasko to Charlie Weis’ staff

Clint Bowen, left, was a player at Kansas University who worked his way up the ranks as an assistant coach. He's about to enter his second season as the Jayhawks' defensive coordinator.

Clint Bowen's return to Kansas University is now official.

KU announced today that Bowen, a former KU assistant coach and player, has been hired as the program's special teams coordinator. The release also said that Bowen, who just completed his first season as North Texas' defensive coordinator, would coach a yet-to-be-named defensive position.

During his days at Kansas, Bowen worked as an assistant for 12 years and played defensive back for the Jayhawks from 1992-93.

He served as a defensive grad assistant from 1998-99, director of football operations in 2000 and coached running backs, tight ends, safeties and special teams before rising to become co-defensive coordinator in 2007 and defensive coordinator in 2008 and 2009.

Behind the scenes, Bowen, who was born and raised in Lawrence, has expressed interest in returning to his hometown since being fired along with the rest of the coaching staff following Mark Mangino’s forced resignation at the end of the 2009 season.

In addition to his strong connection to KU, Bowen brings to the staff the ability to recruit both Kansas and Texas.

KU also announced the addition of Jeff Blasko, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., who comes to KU after spending a season working under Weis at the University of Florida.

Blasko, who was named UF's interim quarterbacks coach after Weis' departure, will coach tight ends and serve as assistant special teams coordinator at Kansas.

Prior to his season at UF, Blasko spent three seasons at Akron as a graduate assistant working in both recruiting and with the offense. He was the Zips’ graduate assistant during the 2008 and 2009 seasons under J.D. Brookhart. During the 2010 season Blasko worked under current KU recruiting coordinator/wide receivers coach Rob Ianello.

Comments

ShockNAwe 8 years, 4 months ago

Am I missing it? What will Blasko's duties be? And, does he have a first name?

lothario64118 8 years, 4 months ago

Blasko, who was named UF's interim quarterbacks coach after Weis' departure, will coach tight ends at Kansas.

ShockNAwe 8 years, 4 months ago

The information about Blasko was added after the original article was posted. Fess up, Tait.

Eric Williams 8 years, 4 months ago

He "fessed up" at 10:52 a.m., which was a whole 4 hours before you posted this...scroll down a couple posts.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Nope...he's the Pele of football coaching. Or Maybe the Madonna, Cher or Shakira. Time will tell.

This staff seems to be fitting into what CW said at his presser: he needs a staff that works well together. Bowen, Reggie, Wyatt, etc., etc. these are guys who want to be here and I just get the sense that they will work well together.

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 4 months ago

Clint Bowen will coach defensive backs and special teams at Kansas. That was just tweeted by Tom Dienhart. Not sure about Blasko

hawk316 8 years, 4 months ago

I am so pleased that Bowen is back on board. Though I do not know him personally, I understand that he is crimson and blue through and through. It's important to have those kinds of individuals, assuming they can coach, of course, as representatives of the program. Their enthusiasm for the school is genuine and winsome.

Welcome back to Lawrence, Clint! May your stay this time around be long and very successful!

Matt Tait 8 years, 4 months ago

It's fixed now... My bad, folks. Between Tweeting it out and having all this info in my head, sometimes I forget the obvious. Sorry.

Great hires for KU, though. Weis really likes Blasko.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey matt, what's the latest word on when the football schedule will be announced?

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe they are going to have to wait until the WVU/Big East lawsuit is settled to finalize the football schedule.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

That hearing is set for june. They can't wait that long. Someone is going to have to roll the dice.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, I should've said lawsuits as WVU is suing the Big East (in Morgantown) and the Big East is suing WVU (in Connecticut).

Kevin Long 8 years, 4 months ago

They can't wait till June. There is no way possible. They have to know by the end of this month or ticket sales and all sorts of stuff. I have no idea what will happen with WVU.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, you have to keep in mind that KU has no control over the conference schedule. That is all conference driven. I know the Big East has yet to announce it's conference football schedule for next year, and it's because of the lawsuits. The Big 12 will need to know whether WVU is going to be part of the conference, or not, before coming up with a schedule.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

And my memory is failing me again, the Big East lawsuit is in Rhode Island, not Connecticut.

Kevin Kelly 8 years, 4 months ago

BINGO! The real story out there is that we are only playing 3 games next year. I can't imagine the mess we will be in if WVU dosn't play in the Big 12 next year (9 teams trying to find an extra game). I need to hear why this shouldn't concern me and I'd like to hear about it BEFORE Charlie asks me to shell some cash for some tickets.

What are the senarios? Why isn't this being reported on? Why have we dropped expansion reporting like its done?

1029 8 years, 4 months ago

Are you kidding me??? Clint Bowen may be one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of college football. I have never seen defenses so out of place, so many uncovered receivers, so many 50-, 60-, 70-yard pass plays as I saw when he was here for the 2009 season. If you had to blame one person--coach or player--for KU's disappointing 2009 season, it would be Clint Bowen, hands-down. This guy has no business coaching at this level.

fu7il3 8 years, 4 months ago

Good thing he's not going to be defensive coordinator.

lothario64118 8 years, 4 months ago

has been hired as the program's special teams coordinator...

people need to READ what Matt wrote.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Completely disagree...

He is not going to be the DC. He was a very good position coach and recruiter during his time here. He was also co-coordinator on defense for the Orange Bowl season. Bowen is a great hire.

shelleysue 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm afraid I have to agree. This is not a name I was hoping to hear. Maybe he will be ok coaching a position but I sure hope he never rises beyond that. Never a fan personally. And before someone goes all haywire that is my opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of Bowen fans out there. I'm just not one of them.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

We went 12-1, 8-5, and 5-7 with Bowen as DC or CO DC. THere were certainly other factors in the 5-7 season besides him. If he became our DC again in the future I would have no problem.

HawkTronic 8 years, 4 months ago

I have to say you are wrong on that. Look at his success at WKU and North Texas - as coordinator, he took two teams ranked in the triple digits in defense and improved them into the middle. That's coaching. He's put more players in the NFL than any other recent position coach. If you want to blame somebody for our defensive troubles in 2009, start with the defensive line. It's difficult to out-scheme a 10 second passing window. KU is one of the only schools that could get Bowen as a position coach instead of a coordinator. Indiana offered him the DC job a couple years ago.

Just saying...a lot of people whose job it is to find talented coaches respect his work.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 4 months ago

You must have missed the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

rhollinshed 8 years, 4 months ago

Hands down 2009 would be better than the last two years we experienced. Get over it!

John Brown 8 years, 4 months ago

Your ability to watch football is unmatched. Now if you could learn to read, that would be something special.

beebe1 8 years, 4 months ago

You sound like rasta-meta. He played on the KU team with Bowen.Their DC was the world's worst. Perhaps Bowen is a nice, personable, home guy. Special teams involves some defense. Unless he has learned a lot since he left KS, he shouldn't have ANY defensive duties!

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 4 months ago

Will hold judgement until a Defensive Coordinator is hired. Hopefully it's Leveitt. <---might of spelled his name wrong...so take it easy on me Swishymc.

Matt Tait 8 years, 4 months ago

Was told today that it won't be Leavitt... Sorry to burst your bubble, but thought you'd like to know.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Okay, now my second prediction is shot to heck. So, I'm thinking that he's now looking for a young gun to lead the "D". Not sure who that would be but I'm doubting NFL right now.

Love the idea of Singletary but I'm guessing that would be a total long-shot. How about Teddy Bruschi? He knows a little about defense!

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 4 months ago

Matt tweeted earlier... Regarding #KUfball's DC hire, I'm hearing w/ pretty strong certainty it will not be Jim Leavitt. No surprise, but I had begun to wonder...

But you know nothing is certain until it is announced. Someone else was tweeting that Willie Martinez was still in the mix??

I guess we will find out hopefully sooner than later..

longhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

He was a terrific position coach, though, and it appears that's what he's going to do here. I'll be a little disappointed if our DC is not a little more sexy, but I have no problem with Clint on the staff.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

Trying the whole twitter thing, still don't get it! My question is why do reporters run to a different website when they have news instead of the one they work for? Not hating, just think if I ran a site/paper I would want the info, clicks, advertising $ coming to my page not twitter.

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 4 months ago

I think twitter is just easy to pass on information that is out there.. Instead of writing a whole article on info that may or may not be true they can tweet it. Or "retweet" other people that have news?

That way they don't have to write a story on every piece of info out there?

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

True, I've did it for all of one day and have seen up to the minute stuff from Tait. So for example why would I come to the ljw when I can get more info faster on a third party site?

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 4 months ago

Well you can only tweet like 140 characters at once. So if you wanted to read a full story about anything twitter isn't the answer... Although they can link the LJW website stories from twitter.

And you cant get the awesome experience of commenting on the story and getting different opinions so easily as you do here!

swavity 8 years, 4 months ago

...that's what advertising is. If your hook for "info, clicks, advertising" is on your own site, then it's pointless because they're already there. Putting the hook on Twitter increases his exposure and value, and if you're at all interested you'll come here anyway - probably more often than you would've if you didn't notice the story on Twitter in the first place. After all, most people are not KU Sports/LJWorld regulars.

David Robinett 8 years, 4 months ago

Twitter adds the social media multiplier effect -- spreading virally and geometrically. Then, folks who follow, e.g. Tait, can link back to kusports.com for more. So it's a win-win.

Gary Wirsig 8 years, 4 months ago

Since I don't have to be up to the minute, I just follow this site solely. Between the articles and the informed (mostly) comments from folks like you all, I seem to keep up pretty well.

jazzhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

A random, maybe stupid comment. What would it take to lure Bill Young back to the KU sidelines as DC? Would that even be allowed by OSU or WANTED by the KU Nation? I honestly have no idea but wanted to ask the question.

jazzhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I am an Army vet, so thank you for your service. I actually just saw a thread on Scout about Bill Young wanting out of OSU. Something about facilities. I don't feel so dumb now. People also said he seems to not stay anywhere long.

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

My vote for DC is "The Samurai" #50 MIke Singletary.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm in on this one. I would think that he'd be a great motivator and a great recruiter.

Ted Toulouse 8 years, 4 months ago

We could have had Singletary by now though. Seems like Weis is waiting for someone in the NFL to finish their playoff run...

Just my 2-cents

Dennis Mahorney 8 years, 4 months ago

Didnt Coach Gill add Vantz Singletary to the staff in 2009 nephew of Mike Singletary who he worked with in Buffalo? He was hired for his deep Dallas recruiting ties... Probably a casualty of the new coaching regime change. Glad we hired Bowen to recruit the Dallas area...Wait what!

Cora Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

I am getting the feeling that we do not have a defensive coordinator in the fold and that the defensive position hires have no DC input. Could be a recipe for another mess.

DevilHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I disagree. This seems like a sign that Weis already has a DC lined-up, but both are waiting to get some more paperwork done before making the official announcement.

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if I am the only one that is getting worried about Matt... Here it is a month and a half from our last football game and he is still putting out football stories that are ( I don't have access to facts I am just assuming) read and commented on more than our basketball stories...

The basketball writers may end up teaming up on him and giving him a sock party if this continues for much longer...

SaveMCTAITfromharm !!!!!

Rock Chalk!!!

Mat Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I really enjoyed playing for Coach Bowen. He's a sharp coach, great recruiter, and someone who bleeds Crimson and Blue. Very excited to see him back!

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Love the hire of Bowen for ST and DBs. So far I think all the position hires have been home runs. The DC hire will be his cu de gras.

Can't Wait!

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually it's coup de grace if we are being formal. Don't know why I spelled it like that.

VaJay 8 years, 4 months ago

You are correct sir! Funny, must've been thinking of fois gras and I cant even stand the stuff.

Jim Jackson 8 years, 4 months ago

Anyone have access to Twitter? Darrian Miller has been expressing his displeasure with the coaching staff. Any concrete info on this?

drnater 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes, hes been discussing it with others on twitter. Something about the coaching staff doing other players wrong. His profile is secured so you can only read his tweets if he accepts your follow request. From my understanding, he might not fully comprehend what getting a new coach entails. Something that comes with the territory I guess. He'll either get over it and stay or take it to heart and leave. Either way the program will move on. He's a great talent, and would be a huge boost if he stayed, but no one player is above the team.

drnater 8 years, 4 months ago

I got "#kufball pullin some grimey a boa, thats why I aint even with it." then stated, "They on some grime a sht releasing all my ni##a's." Then was asked, "dmn, with scholly's?" he then replied, "Some did... some was bout to get em." Another one not in that thread he seemed mad about the timing of it all, especially that they are doing it right before classes start. Thats all I have right now.

Jim Jackson 8 years, 4 months ago

LOL thanks. Seems like he needs some English tutoring.

drnater 8 years, 4 months ago

Its twitter, you only get 140 characters to speak your mind! lol

Eric Williams 8 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone think Muschamp regrets letting KU talk to Charlie. Charlie is poaching Muschamp's staff left and right.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Ha. Maybe Muschamp can be our new DC.

Mat Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I'd love to see the Gridiron series continue. Might have to bleep out some language, but it'd be some riveting video.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

Still not convinced. I just don't trust any of the names on this coaching staff... They'll have to win before I'm convinced Weis wasn't a whole new mistake.

JayHok 8 years, 4 months ago

Three 5 stars in three weeks. Alabama is the only NCAA school with more 5 stars in the next signing class. They have 4. Ours are transfers, but still, you get the point.

Have you seen Crist throw the ball?

Do you know how intense this new strength staff is?

If Weis has a big fish lined up to be DC, lookout.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

Crist and Heaps aren't 5 stars anymore, they were 5 stars...who both got benched. As did Weis...except he didn't get benched, he got fired, and has a losing bowl record of 1-2 over 5 years at Notre Dame...Notre Dame for goodness sake! Then, he had a mediocre-at-best OC Career at Florida...Florida for goodness sake! He may be great in the NFL...he is great in the NFL...but I'm not sold on the idea that he's a college coach.

Oh, and have you seen JaMarcus Russell throw a ball? Yeah. He can throw it alright. Doesn't mean he did the Raiders any good.

IF Weis has a big fish DC lined up, who knows.

They gotta win before I'm drinking this Kool-Aid.

I won't let my heart be broken again, and if there's one thing I've learned over the last two years is that eating crow is tastier than a getting a big head before a losing season.

As always, this pessimistic attitude brought to you by the influence of ahperse...

escaped_labrat 8 years, 4 months ago

I am not the LEAST bit worried about HCCW or any of his hires. Unlike the TG saga, this past two months has been heavenly bliss. Great hires IMHO and Clint Bowen as the new ST coach....grand slam, his history at KU and I believe as a ST coach previously is bad to the bone. I have not seen recruits like this (although transfers...have you watched their videos in action!) Dang, I'm as hopeful as I was after the Orange Bowl victory season.

Just wanted to say that I hope Darrian Miller sticks around, he's got mad skills and I think that his loyalty (exhibited by his colorful twits -- just my take that he is passionate about his teammates and ties) is definitely a fire that we need come game day. Can you imagine if he gives it a go and gets in even better shape? That would be bad to the bone.

Kevin Randell 8 years, 4 months ago

Kleave- I don't blame you and will not give you any crap for your opinion. I think many of us in the Jayhawk nation are skittish but yet want to have hope we will have a decent season next year. I for one am one of those guys who is excited to at least see the progressive moves our football program is making. As a coach myself, I know the importance of getting all the right pieces...but also know that chemistry and meshing it all together is just as important. Never the less, it's an exciting time to be a Jayhawk.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Inside I'm really excited about HCCW...

But ahperse made me so darn paranoid...and Gill of course as well...

Jack McEnaney 8 years, 4 months ago

How about Kevin Greene from the Packers or Pepper Johnson from the Patriots? I bet those two would be INTENSE as defensive coordinators. They would bring in automatic respect just from their names. If you were a linebacker and Kevin Greene was telling you to do something a certain way, I bet you would do it. Pepper Johnson has been picking Bill Belichick's brain for years when it comes to defense, back to the late 80s. Also would Dean Pees like another shot at coordinating a defense. He is with the Ravens now, and has a Patriots connection. I think Pepper would be the best because he could run Belichick's defense, a defense I imagine Weis respects

beebe1 8 years, 4 months ago

Some of the best pro defense seems to come from the Saints. Anyone know about their DC?

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Based on what happened at OU today, I would be surprised if KU's new DC isn't Willie Martinez. Mike Stoops is back at OU as their co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach which is the position that Martinez held on the OU staff which means Martinez is out at OU and I wouldn't be shocked at this point to hear something in the next day or two about Martinez.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Yep. It's us and Illinois.

I'm betting on Weis here. I didn't realize Martinez had so much success as the DC at Georgia. Looks promising.

jay381 8 years, 4 months ago

OMG I hope not. Martinez was the weak link on the sub par defense I still have a lot of friends in OK and we do not want this guy. Do you think the strongest part of the chain was let go by Bob Stoops when his brother was available. Heck no it was the weakest link. His secondary given the talent on the team was the worst part of the team. That is the only person I have any direct knowledge of that has been mentioned but trust me we do NOT want Martinez..

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Willie Martinez is catching a lot of blame that he doesn't deserve at OU. Who was the one calling the plays for OU's defense this past season? Was it Martinez or Venables? OU fans are always going to find something or someone to bitch about when their season doesn't result in a national title (and even when it does) and because Martinez is the only difference on the coaching they think it must be him that caused the season to be a failure. Willie Martinez is a good DC who had a ton of success at Georgia and will bring SEC toughness to a defense that sorely needs to be toughened up.

Dale Stringer 8 years, 4 months ago

I still think Mike Nolan could be a dark horse DC. CW & MN are waiting to see who the new Dolphins coach is going to be. If the new Dolphins coach and MN don't see eye to eye, then he can have the job here.

Bville Hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Charlie is going to hire a DC that he has worked with in the past. Who among the names being bandied about has a history with Charlie?

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 4 months ago

After preaching about "coaching chemistry" at his opening presser, does anyone think Charlie would actually hire a defensive assistant without the blessing of his DC? No way! Someone still in the NFL playoffs is already our DC, it's just not official yet.

Jim Jackson 8 years, 4 months ago

Anyone connected to Darrian Miller via Twitter? He has been expressing his displeasure with the coaching staff. Any concrete info on this?

VaJay 8 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone think that Weis has already lined up a DC, but hasn't (or can't) announce it yet? It just seems a little surprising that he's hiring the underlings for a DC without one being involved yet.

JayhawkinNE 8 years, 4 months ago

Matt reported on Dec 30th that KU was going to have a news conference for players, etc. I think we are going to find out alot on that day.

Matt's quote:

I was told yesterday, however, that KU has scheduled a news conference for Jan. 16 for Crist, Heaps and whatever other newcomers the program may have by that time. I also was told KU football officials have informed all commitments who haven’t arrived yet to turn down any future interview requests.

That’s a bummer, but not all that surprising. And, hey, at least we’ve got that Jan. 16 date to look forward to.

parrothead8 8 years, 4 months ago

Why does the picture say that Bowen will be DC but the article says he will be a position coach?

Bville Hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

It's an old picture and an old caption. When that combo was originally used (2009?) he was, in fact, about to begin his 2nd season as DC.

Michael Maris 8 years, 4 months ago

Since, Tait is being told that Leavitt is not a DC candidate.

Call me crazy, but The Ohio State University has 2 guys on their current coaching staff that both listed as LB Coaches. One of them would have a connection to Charlie Weis.

Mike Vrabel.

Maybe, Clint Bowen is a Co-Defensive Coordinator along with Mike Vrabel. Bowen coaches the DB's and Vrabel coaches the LB's. Perhaps, this is why Bowen was given an assistant special teams coordinator in Blasko.

Crazy? Maybe so. Just a thought that went through my head in the past 30 minutes or so.

Steve McGillivray 8 years, 4 months ago

Well everybody in the college coaching world would disagree with you.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Charles Gordon, Aqib Talib, Darrell Stuckey, and Chris Harris disagree with you.

Kansashawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Good concrete examples. What if we could reunite with Bowen with Bill Young?

Nathan Scholl 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh man, we needed a big name on defense. Not excited about Bowen AT ALL. Looks like Kansas is going to be last in defense again. Major BUMMER.

Steve McGillivray 8 years, 4 months ago

First of all Clint is not going to be the DC, he is going to be the DB/ST coach. If you are upset at this hire you know nothing about college football.

nwhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Dennis Mahorney 8 years, 4 months ago

Not really sure if Bowen was a good move based on how lit up this board was with every other comment being "Fire Bowen!" a few short years ago. Now its "Hire Bowen!" Not saying we have the attention span of golfish, but perhaps some selective memory may be in play here.

shelleysue 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't recall there being a lot of support for Bowen a few years ago.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

As a defensive coordinator, Clint Bowen is not very good and was a very large reason in the failure to build off of the Orange Bowl success, but he is a very good secondary coach however and that is going to be one of his primary responsibilities on this staff, not game planning to stop opposing offenses.

parrothead8 8 years, 4 months ago

The attention span of golfish...is that like not remembering how bad your last round was?

Dennis Mahorney 8 years, 4 months ago

Good one...Parrothead8. I should have read it twice.

kugrad93 8 years, 4 months ago

So the average commenter knows more about picking an assistant coach than the head coach? Seems unlikely.

The success of a coordinator has a lot to do with the quality of a team's players. I remember in the first few years of the Mangino era when the Jayhawks were getting smoked on a regular basis there were a lot of KU fans that wanted Bill Young fired. Just a few years later, when there was more talent on the roster, Young was suddenly considered a genius. Now his name comes up in the comments every time there is a story about the DC with someone lamenting that he's not here.

The Orange Bowl team lost some pretty good defensive players, and Bowen did not have an many elite players to work with as Young did.

Try not to panic, especially since Bowen is not even the DC. Also, the guy was a good recruiter when he was here before.

frompekka2sasha 8 years, 4 months ago

The rumor mill is that KU has a budget of 1 mil for a Defensive Coordinatoor in order to bring a serious candidate- Nolan, Groh, Martinez- to re-energize the program. However in a last minute cost-cutting measure they've decided not to fill the position at all and pocket the money that is already budgeted. You will hear nothing further on the issue until the day that the season starts but I'm hearing that all defensive coaches will be trained in regards to how what a DC does and then simply take turns on the headset. This will allow the offense to get on the field much faster so that we can audition our QB's for the NFL.

sloppyscience 8 years, 4 months ago

You made it all the way to the end of that? I'm impressed. You should go on fear factor, you can stomach a lot.

frompekka2sasha 8 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, bro. Nothing else is legitimate even if it "seems" more believable than my fabricated post.

stubert 8 years, 4 months ago

if anyone thinks bowen is a good coach, all they have to do is go back and watch film from when he was here last time.. that assuming they know just a little bit asout the game. .they really don't have to know much to see how bad he was.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Good thing Bowen isn't the defensive coordinator then.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

The last time he was here as DC/co-DC we won the Orange Bowl and the Insight Bowl.

JayHok 8 years, 4 months ago

Dude he's been hired as a position coach!

Last time he was a position coach at KU we won the Orange Bowl. He developed some nice NFL talent at KU, he's a fantastic position coach!

This is another great get by Weis. Read the article, it says absolutely nothing about him being hired as a DC.

timtation 8 years, 4 months ago

Clint Bowen again? UHHHHH! maybe he'll better as a special teams coordinator. I HOPE!

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

He's already been a special teams coach at KU, in the early '00s, and I don't recall thinking he needed to go, so I'm confident this will work out.

waywardJay 8 years, 4 months ago

Is that even officially on the Team?

Isn't that the guy who shepards the Kickers and Punters around to their Wine and Cheese events ?

Bville Hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

<p>jayhawkslant.com has a headline story that "coaches rave about Weis' hire of Clint Bowen."

I don't have a subscription so can't say who is doing the raving. Maybe someone with a subscription can give us the gist of the article.

johnnyphoton 8 years, 4 months ago

Can't provide the article, but the picture of him has "Burn Notice" written all over it.

Matthew Pritchard 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey stubert and 1029, you guys need to go watch your basketball highlights and quit talking on football boards. Maybe you have heard of Aquib Talib, Chris Harris, Darrel Stucky, James Holt, all playing in the NFL and all coached up by Bowen. Chris Harris is starting for a playoff team. Clint has turned mediocre players into studs, which is why he is being hired as a position coach and not a coordinator. He was also courted by Kevin Sumlin, Chizic, and Rich rod to be on their staffs so we are lucky he decided to come home and work under Weis. Mangino would not have won as many games without having Clint on his staff.

beebe1 8 years, 4 months ago

That was AFTER Mangino took the 'off' week to correct the 'defensive schemes'. Defense improved, but it wasn't an answer to the problem. The Defensive Genius who developed the 'Notre Dame Defense' was the coach ND took from Northwestern. Personally watched him coach at Northwestern 25 or 30 years before you geniuses were born. Does it ever bother you that you 'experts' can't count? Doesn't it ever bother you to see the defensive backfield guarding a 'territory' when there are no receivers there, nor headed that way? Seems like no one understands the ND defense from 60 years back, few DC's have adopted anything way back then. Some of the best pro DC's have wised up. But WC and his OC program, good as it is, won't make it without a topnotch Defense.