Monday, January 9, 2012

Travis Releford wins Big 12 player of the week

Kansas guard Travis Releford gets a chest bump from teammate Tyshawn Taylor during the second half Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012, at Lloyd Noble Center.

Kansas small forward Travis Releford was honored by the Big 12 on Monday as the conference's player of the week.

Releford averaged a league-best 22 points per game, leading the Jayhawks to a 2-0 start in league play with wins over Kansas State (67-49) and at Oklahoma (72-61).

The junior guard posted career-highs in points (16) and rebounds (11) on Wednesday against KSU to record his first career double-double.

He followed the performance by notching a new career high in points against OU on Saturday (28), as KU gave the Sooners their first home loss.

The Kansas City, Mo., native shot 62.5 percent in the two games, including 55.6 percent from 3-point range. He also made nine of 10 free throws with three assists and two steals.

KU players have earned Big 12 player of the week honors in four of nine weeks this season. KU junior forward Thomas Robinson picked up the weekly award on Nov. 28, Dec. 12 and Jan. 2.

Comments

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Love me some Treleford! He could be the key to the rest of the season.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if this Travis will be a lightning rod for dissidents who blame him for overachieving above some magical messianic status conferred by hamburgers and recruiting web sites.

Heaven forbid someone in a COLLEGE might learn to get better through that exposure.

Sacrilegious!

AaronHawk19 2 years, 10 months ago

Releford was actually a 4 star recruit...

Mike Kendall 2 years, 10 months ago

Imagine that?! No really, Travis---keep it going into the Post-Season!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Michael Auchard 2 years, 10 months ago

He won Andy Katz's player of the week, too, over on ESPN.

Nick Cole 2 years, 10 months ago

Well deserved. I hope he keeps up the aggressiveness from this point forward.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If Releford keeps it up and Tyshawn gets going consistently then we might have something with this team,

Great job Travis!

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 10 months ago

Awesome job Travis, I love how he's been agressive but in a smart way. He hasn't been forcing shots.

Brent Cagle 2 years, 10 months ago

Well deserved indeed. If Travis hadn't won it, I'm betting it would have gone to Thomas, as he averaged 16.5 points and 11.5 rebounds over the same two games.

Rob Martin 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know about that. Royce White of ISU averaged against TX and TX A&M, 12 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists. He had the first Big 12 triple double against another Big 12 teem since 2006.

jyhwk14 2 years, 10 months ago

Check out this hilarious article about the next chaper in the Tyshawn Taylor saga.... http://elefantisland.com/?p=1837

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

What a total shock and surprise!!

Oh, wait... no... that's not what I meant.... What I meant was... completely obvious, expected and unequivocally not a surprise in anyway whatsoever.

Yeah, I'd say the second is slightly more accurate.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 10 months ago

Releford is the man! Keep it up and the Hawks are legit contenders for the Big 12 and beyond. Psyched for a KC guy! Rock Chalk always!

gchawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Travis, you definitely earned this award.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 10 months ago

No surprises, has to feel great for Releford, now don't let it go to your head and keep up the hard work!

KPOP 2 years, 10 months ago

if this is the real T Releford and he starts to play like this on a consistent basis, this could be a very good team come tournament. We all knew somebody was going to have to step up and take their game to another level if this team was going to win #8 B12 Championship. Go Travis. RCJHGKU,

Rob Martin 2 years, 10 months ago

Travis has really improved in the last two years, it is fun to watch him. In my opinion though, he was not the player of the week last week in my opinion. Royce White of Iowa State wreaked havoc with TX AM with the first Big 12 triple double (against another Big 12 team) since 2006. This is a 6-8 power forward that had 18 rebounds, 10 points and 10 assists. He had 9 rebounds in the first 10 minutes of the game. It wasn't just White either, the whole team simply destroyed TX AM. And...they beat Texas earlier in the week as well. Royce White is the Best Big 12 player not named Thomas Robinson.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Rob, but Royce will be lucky to make second team all league and he is far from the second best player in the league. How about we watch the rest of the season before you make such idiotic proclamations. The kid averages 12 and 9, which is not bad, but does not make him better than Quincy Miller, PJ III, and Quincy Acy at Baylor nor Marcus Denmon for Mizzou. He would sit on the bench behind the those three at Baylor.

JHawk74 2 years, 10 months ago

@RobMartin Are you a Iowa State Fan? I think we have a Cyclone Troll on the KU Sports site. Royce White is a good player but I don't he starts on the Top 4 teams in the Big 12. Iowa State is not a top 4 team in the Big 12.

ja3hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I remember watching him play in high school. He is completely capable of doing this on a regular basis. He just needs to keep his confidence up.

zsn 2 years, 10 months ago

In addition to what everyone has written here, what impresses me most about Travis is that no matter what is happening to him he seems like he's having fun. He's smiling most of the time and isn't obnoxious in his celebrations. He's very even-keeled, and he enjoys his role, no matter what he's asked to do. I think Tyrel was a similar but I don't think I've come across too many players (in KU or otherwise) who just project a positive attitude (Hinrich, Calvin Thompson, Manning....) - genuine nice-guys.

zsn 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't know about "these days" but I've run into him off-the-court back in the mid-80's (the ones who didn't live in Jayhawker used to live in the apt complex next to where I lived - Turg, Scooter, Randall, Gueldner), and also play pick-up in Robinson after he graduated. He was a really nice guy, not like Hunter. Turg was nice, too, but not like Calvin.....Calvin was genuinely having fun on the court, and off. I forgot about Dreiling....he used to run on our street all the time....but on the court you could tell that it was some effort for him and it was obvious that it wasn;t always fun. I have never seen Danny get angry....the little things - all of these guys would help an opponent up off the floor during games.....to me, these are the little things which make a classy player. Travis is definitely one who belongs in the opposite end of the spectrum from the Morrii!!

Beth Ennis 2 years, 10 months ago

congratulations Travis! Really enjoyed watching you play on Saturday. You earned it. Keep up the good work!

keeb1211 2 years, 10 months ago

I would like to think that Travis EARNED the Big12 POW award and didn't win it. By winning it, it sounds as if he dropped his business card in the fish bowl at lunch. Travis played his a** off the last two games, he didn't win the award...he earned it.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 10 months ago

Mental and physical toughness is what is going to separate the men from the boys and allow us to play at a high level and Travis has proven that he has the ability to play at that level.

I think it matters less about his getting a lot of points every game and more about him emerging as a leader on this team.

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

In Releford's freshman year, I always thought Self made a big mistake not playing him more. That team was bad in need of another scorer, and he seemed to me to be the logical guy, but Self never had the patience to leave him in and let him work through his mistakes. I really think sitting so much last year after coming back off of the injury seemed to deflate him and hurt his confidence. I'm glad to see he's getting that confidence back. He may be the most natural scorer on this roster, but he's been a bit tentative until the last 2 games. This confidence boost should do wonders for him. One thing about Travis, even when he isn't scoring, he's playing outstanding defense.

JHawk74 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish Johnson will put out the effort Releford does on defense. Johnson does well if he is making shots but if he not hitting shots he tends to slack off on defense also.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

So it's yet another week where someone from KU wins Big XII player of the week. Ho hum.

Seriously, it's encouraging to see someone other than T-Rob win it. Now it's Tyshawn's turn. I'm expecting a big week from him.

WhoSaidThat 2 years, 10 months ago

Rele has been looking like Rush did on both ends the last few games. He even wears the sweatbands.