Saturday, January 7, 2012

Local WR Justin McCay to transfer to KU

Kansas wide receiver Justin McCay

Kansas wide receiver Justin McCay

A couple of weeks ago, Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis delivered what many were calling the biggest recruiting day in program history when he landed former Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist and Jake Heaps, a QB who is transferring to KU from BYU.

Now those quarterbacks have a receiver to go with them.

Friday afternoon, former Bishop Miege High wide receiver Justin McCay, a former five-star prospect who spent the last two seasons at Oklahoma University, joined the parade of impact recruits to commit to Weis by announcing he would transfer to Kansas at semester.

While there’s still work to be done - both off the field and on it - McCay joins Crist and Heaps as one of the most highly touted recruits to come to Kansas.

“I watched him very closely because he was right in the area of a lot of kids I follow,” said Jon Kirby, of JayhawkSlant.com, who has been covering KU football recruiting for 13 years. “He was extremely talented. He was tall, athletic, had a great body, was real fluid, had great body control. He was a heck of a talent. I think a lot of times like this, people want to question a kid’s talent and whether he can make it or not, but I’ve seen him play. He wouldn’t have been in the Army All-American game if he didn’t have talent.”

The 6-foot-2, 209-pound wideout who was ranked as the top player in Kansas in the Class of 2010, was in Lawrence on Wednesday night for the KU-K-State men’s basketball game. Evidently, that was enough to convince him to choose KU over K-State, which reportedly was his other finalist.

“The visit was great,” McCay told Kirby. “And I think this is a great opportunity to build from the ground up.”

Technically a red-shirt freshman, McCay played in just three games this season because of injury and decided to transfer from OU a couple of weeks ago. OU coach Bob Stoops granted the release, and McCay landed at KU, where he’ll be reunited with former Miege head coach Tim Grunhard, who was hired in December to coach KU’s offensive line. Kirby said he believed coming to Lawrence could be big for both the player and the program.

“I think a fresh start, a pro-style offense, Charlie Weis and he’s got Rob Ianello now as his wide receivers coach,” Kirby said. “Throw all that together and you never know what this kid could turn into.”

As for McCay’s decision to join the Jayhawks making a positive impact on the program, that, too, could wind up being huge, Kirby said.

“If he were to have any type of success here, I think it would show local kids that, maybe instead of going away to some bigger-name program outside of the area, they’ll realize they can play and compete and win at the local in-state school,” Kirby said. “It gives the Kansas coaches the ability to go recruit in-state kids and say, ‘Look, this kid went away and came back. Why don’t you just start your career here?’”

When asked where McCay ranked in terms of wide receivers that KU had brought in during the past decade, Kirby didn’t hesitate to answer.

“In terms of raw talent and on paper and from a recruiting standpoint, he may have to be at the top,” Kirby said. “He is probably one of the most highly regarded kids, along with these quarterbacks, that I’ve ever seen come to Kansas.”

McCay’s eligibility status remains up in the air and could go a number of different directions in the next few weeks. One thing that’s not cloudy, though, is how the former OU wide receiver feels about his new coach.

“He is a great guy,” McCay said of Weis. “He is 100 percent straight-up, and when he says he is going to do something, he gets it done. I want to be a part of what he is building. He’s bringing in the tools to win.”

D.C.’s Crawley plans visit

Washington D.C. cornerback Kenneth Crawley, a four-star prospect out of H.D. Woodson High, who recently backed out of his committment to Tennessee, has announced on Twitter that he will visit KU sometime next week.

Crawley, 6-1, 170, is teammates with former KU commitment De’Jon Wilson, who had pledged to join the Jayhawks but backed out after the firing of Turner Gill and now is orally committed to Colorado.

According to Rivals.com, Crawley is the No. 2 ranked cornerback in Maryland and the 21st ranked player at his position overall.

With his recruitment back open, Crawley also plans to visit Michigan State and Maryland, and he has offers from 22 other BCS schools, including Oklahoma State and Texas Tech of the Big 12.

Beaty to A&M?

It appears that former KU wide receivers coach David Beaty, who worked at KU two separate times, under both Mark Mangino and Turner Gill, will join Kevin Sumlin’s staff at Texas A&M.

Beaty, a Texas native who spent time coaching at Rice between stints at Kansas, has become known for his ability to recruit his native state, specifically the Dallas area.

Several reports from Aggieland have indicated that Sumlin’s staff is now complete and his assistants will hit the road to recruit next week.

Sumlin was hired by A&M after a successful run at Houston and will lead the Aggies into the SEC next season.

Weis to attend tonight’s Sunflower Showdown

Having already made an appearance at a KU men’s basketball game - he was there on Dec. 10, when the Jayhawks topped second-ranked Ohio State - Weis now has plans to throw his support behind the KU women’s team.

After a whirlwind few weeks that included being hired by KU, having hip-replacement surgery and hitting the recruiting trail, Weis will attend his first women’s game at 7 tonight, when the Jayhawks (12-1 overall, 1-0 in Big 12 play) play host to in-state rival Kansas State (10-3, 1-0).

Comments

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's see if the Big 12 actually shows some heart and approves his waiver so he'll have at least of couple years of eligibility left. It would be out of character for most of our officials to cut a current/future KU student-athlete a break, but there's always time to change.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Still can't get over the Eric Butler deal a few years back. Because it helped him take care of his new born child, he enrolled at Devry. The NCAA counted that against his eligibility. He even applied for another year of eligibility because of paternity responsibilities and was denied. I could be wrong on some of that, but I am pretty sure that was the story.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess the NCAA thought it was not a direct input into their revenue.

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

He should have a minimum of 3 years, if I'm not mistaken. The biggest question is how soon he'll be eligible.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

NCAA says you have 5 years to complete 4 seasons. He already has used his red shirt and played one so he would only have 3 remaining if he was eligible this year. That is a possibility because of the hardship waiver.

I could be wrong on this but I am decently sure I am correct.

Kman_blue 2 years, 11 months ago

You got it correct. McCay got his hardship waiver from OU which eliminates the in conference transfer rule of sitting out 2 years and which would force McCay to lose 2 years of eligibility also because he's already used his redshirt year, so he now is trying to get a hardship waiver from the NCAA. If he gets that from the NCAA, then he'll be ready to play immediately this fall, if not then he has to sit out 1 year which would mean he also loses 1 year of eligibility and would have 2 years of eligibility left starting in 2013. Hopefully the NCAA will do the right thing for once and grant him his waiver.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 11 months ago

Actually, while he got the hardship waiver from OU, I believe the Big XII still has to approve it. If they don't, there is still a chance he would miss two years. At least that's how I read the earlier reports.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Raprichard is correct. The Big 12 could still deny OU's release. I have no idea why they would, but they have the power to do so.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

Bangkok - There are also medical red-shirts that allow a 6th year to complete 4. There are limits on how much (%) you can play that I don't remember, but plenty of twists to confuse things as the story indicates.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I am realistic guy and understand football teams take awhile to turn around. That being said, the pieces are possibly in place for a dramatic turnaround at KU next year.

1. We have a lot of returning players which always helps.
  2. Our coaching staff is upgraded.
  3. Our 2 biggest positions of need, QB and DL, have been upgraded with people ready to play next year.
  4. If McCay is eligible, icing on the cake.

Dramatic turnarounds don't happen often and to win 6-8 games next year would still be a massive achievement. That being said, I don't think 6-8 wins would be a complete shock at this point.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 11 months ago

I know I can get overly optimistic at times, but I tend to agree with you. The biggest problem this past year wasn't necessarily with our talent level but the breakdowns in scheme and fundamentals. That is coaching. If we can get the strength program turned around along with better preparation and game coaching, this team should be competitive in just about every game.

beebe1 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes -- so glad to see that 'coaching' was our problem, not 'talent'!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

I'd say they were 2 or 3 games (TT, BU, ISU) that could have been won last year just based on the upgrade at QB. Additionally, we don't have a "GT" non-con game next year, which should translate into another W. It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to think that 6 is a possibility. Not sure the other factors you mentioned are enough to close the gap on the others, but 6 seems very doable.

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

I m not sure returning players are a positive for this team. Did you watch the disaster that was last season? I d feel better with a whole new team! Just saying.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

You're just saying that without thinking (I hope). You most definitely would not feel better.

Any coaching change brings some amount of turnover, but by and large, the ones who stay are ones you'd want to keep.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Matt Tait...

Great work as always.

Can you possibly comment on any of the rumors surrounding Memorial Stadium being renovated? Is it true there is a big fund raising project going on? Would love to see the stadium look respectable.

VaJay 2 years, 11 months ago

Do you have a bell that goes off every few hours or so that reminds you to ask about this, or to state the critical importance of having renovation done in order to entice top players to come here? (oh wait - we're already getting them here anyway...)

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Agreed. For the 100th time.....all it will take is a boat load of money. And, instead of "ripping out the track", why don't we change the argument to: let's build a world-class track facility which will bolster that sport, then lets' talk about fixing the stadium.

I went to several games this year, the energy was there, the setting was great...it was a fun day. My only complaint is the white tents on the hill. If you're going to cover the hill in tents, let's make 'em blue and put some big a** Jayhawks on them.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Excellent point on the tents. Hadn't even thought about that, but it makes complete sense.

Also, get rid of the chain link fence and put an actual brick/concrete wall in that will match the style or Memorial Stadium. It would make that side of the field look considerably better.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Blackhawkjayhawk... I enjoy the suggestions. This is exactly what I would like kusports.com to comment on. You are making my point for me!

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

There's way too much going on right now for us to even begin looking into this.

I'll say this, though, I haven't heard a whole lot of talk about it with regard to anything being done in the near future. That could change and very well might now that Weis is in town. But I don't know of any immediate plans to do much.

I'll put this on my list and really dive into the issue when I get a chance. I think we could do some awesome stuff with this during the summer.

Stay tuned...

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

VaJay... Thanks for the sarcasm.

There is enough talk on the message boards about a stadium renovation to warrant a response or even an article from someone at Kusports.com. I have not seen one, but could very well have missed it if there was one. I would like to hear what Tait has to say.

Also, are you really going to argue that 3 transfers means that our stadium is good enough to entice top talent year after year?!

VaJay 2 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, but I do get tired of repetitive posts. I think we've made a pretty good start in recruiting & the program has incurred a rather high cost in removing the former coach, and we still don't know the total annual cost of Weis's staff. One step at a time.

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

How about a TEAM renovation? They could play in the parking lot for all I care. Just win baby! ROCK CHALK!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the link. I completely agree on your point. Most of us have no idea about the possibilities for the stadium which is why I would like Tait or someone to do an article on it.

90sHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I'd like the stadium to look respectable to, with a packed house and loud fans at every home game.....but I get what you're saying.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

Can we get a marketing team to improve the name of the sunflower showdown? I feel like we are going to a dance or something.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 11 months ago

How about The Battle for Bloody Kansas, or Bleeding Kansas or something steeped in some kind of history. Although I'm not totally opposed Hicks v. Hawks.

justoneperson 2 years, 11 months ago

hicks v. hawks is awesome!

seems like bleeding kansas is more of a civil war reference--in which case mizzu would be the opposing team. good riddance to that.

David Robinett 2 years, 11 months ago

Tweed vs. Seed, which makes me think... Sheep Wearers vs Sheep Scarers (if you get my drift) Thought vs. Afterthought Higher Ed. vs Higher Shed Cool vs. Stool...

okiedave 2 years, 11 months ago

How about the "Kansas Hawk-Cat fight'?

number1jayhawker 2 years, 11 months ago

Matt FYI, Justin told Brian Hanni on RCST that he is now 6'3" 220 lbs.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Recruiting update:

Weis visited Schyler Miles, an Inside LB out of Tampa. He's a 3-star, but he has offers from both Florida and Notre Dame. Weis apparently told him he's number 1 on the board, and it looks like the kid may take a visit (he said he's taking a visit on the 13th to either us or West Virginia).

Also, Matt mentioned De'Jon Wilson above when talking about Crawley. I read the other day that we may still be in the mix for Wilson as well. If Crawley's showing interest, the two might end up committing together. You never know.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Three five stars in three weeks for Weis, only one five star behind 'Bama right now. Previous record for Kansas---zero five stars in 120 years.

*Paging Dorian Green-Beckman*

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

Bama has 13 Nat Titles. Dont like them, just the facts. ROCK CHALK!

Steve Brown 2 years, 11 months ago

dorial-green-beckham.

Matt, any chance Chuckie W can get this kid to visit. He can catch it and we have some QB to sling it.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

From Tom Lemming----

1. ••••• WR Dorial Green-Beckham 6-6, 220, 4.4 Springfield-Hillcrest, MO It’s taken 17 years but I’ve finally found a WR who is as good as Randy Moss. For years I’ve said Randy Moss was the best high school player I have seen, and Mr. Beckham has similar skills. He has great size, long arms, a true F.A.T. 100 meter time of 10.5, and superior production. The nation’s #1 player, he appears to have no weaknesses. He will be the most celebrated prep football player in the country.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

We. Have. No. Chance.

You need to start to understand that. We haven't even offered a scholly.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the link. It reminded me I need to watch that movie again. Classic

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

McCay wasn't on Kansas' list 4 weeks ago. Crist certainly wasn't. Heaps, no way.

What if Weis calls Dorial Green-Buckman and schedules a visit? Weis has four superbowl rings after all. Seems there's a chance Green-Buckman might be interested in taking the phone call. What is it, about a 2 hour drive from Springfield to Lawrence?

You do realize ---the list---- is something recruits are quoted on as long as a year ago. If Weis is interested ----and surely he very well could be---- why would Weis bother to call Rivals to update the list?

Now you might be completely right. Weis might have zero interest in Buckman-Green. Judging from what Tom Lemming said about DGB, I find that hard to believe. Weis has already worked with numerous players every bit as talented as DGB and through the QB and Weis' pro set, made them champions. Weis would do nothing but help this young man as he works towards a prolific NFL career.

Especially with our new strength coach, one of the best if not the best in the country, along with a top 5 strength facility, Weis certainly could help his career an awfully lot.

RCJ

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know Chit. But Weis knows Crist.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Apparently bayareajhawk is the only one who got the Animal House reference.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

Not true, but also not worth mentioning.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Attn Dorial Green-Beckham----

This could be your QB. Notice the height of the ball. Notice the accuracy. Notice how long it takes for the ball to travel 50 yards. Make sure you compare footage of possible college QB's. This five star QB is an absolute certified gamechanger and he'll play for Weis, in Weis' pro set that he won 3 superbowl rings with.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey its all good news but it wont be instant success. If we go 5-6 next year don't be surprised. It takes time for a team to gel with a new staff and for the staff to gel with each other. It is what it is.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

I would be very surprised if we go 5-6 next year...we play 12 games, so something would be very surprising.

If we win 6 games next year and get picked up in a bowl game, KU fans will be happy (more than happy).

I think most of us would be happy with 1-2 Big XII victories next year.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

So given that logic you would immediately boot any coach who only wins 2 conference games no matter if its their first season or not . Now while that would have saved us from TGs second season it would never allow the majority of quality coaches to coach more than a year at any one school. Defying reality is a loser mentality.

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

I think 6 wins is a stretch unless we add some big time recruits. Our defense wont be that good over night.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know that I am at all on board with all of you who want to overhaul the stadium, but...

Let me toss this out, though. Since a new location is needed for Track and Field would it be feasible and more economical for KU to just buy Haskell's stadium and put an all-weather track around it? As I recall that stadium seats around 7000 (I'm thinking LHS used to play their games there back before Free State). I don't know if Haskell even uses the stadium any longer, don't know what condition it's in, etc. It just seems that it is about the right size and might fit the bill.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

No big hurry on the stadium reno. First things first. Start winning and build fan support and then we can talk stadium.

But when that time comes I'd like to fill in the north end. Removing the track is not going to add that many seats. I understand the argument about making it less user friendly for the visiting teams but showing up and staying 4 quarters will do the same thing and won't cost us a dime.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Let me toss this out. Build a team and they will come.

jhawk2325 2 years, 11 months ago

Also agree. That being said, the track is still a huge eyesore.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

Disagree, but then I loved chilling on a nice spring day watching the Kansas relays.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like the Chiefs are going to hire Crennel. If he was on your wish list you can cross him off.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Anyone see who won the FCS championship?

timtation 2 years, 11 months ago

I just can't believe this is happening with KU football. I teared up when KU won the Orange bowl cause I never thought that would ever happen let alone 3 five star players. Way to go Z and CW! Everyone who helped pay off TG's contract (that he should not have gotten) I owe a big THANK YOU!

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

A 12-1 season was like catching lightning in a bottle, especially going 0-1 against the top four Big12 teams and 1-0 in BCS bowls.

Putting a few catchy names on the roster is more like catching lightning bugs in a mayonnaise jar.

Call me a pessimist, but I remember the last two 5✫ results in March as well as I do the 2-0 run in April ('08, that is). True lachrymal bliss will have to come from accomplishment.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

I need another story to feed my KU football addiction. Come on LJW, make one up if you have to.

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

Tait,

If you get a chance could we hear more about Weis' chances of getting Brice Butler from USC?

Also, there are many prospects out there worthy of a story. How about one about Dorial Green-Beckham?

danno1313 2 years, 11 months ago

My friends at SC say that Butler is going to San Diego ST. We ll see what happens. I m an SC fan and hate to see him go. To much talent in front of him. Rock Chalk