Friday, January 6, 2012

D-tackle commits to KU football

The Kansas University football team picked up another commitment on the defensive line on Thursday night, when Tyler Holmes, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive tackle from Sachse, Texas, orally committed to KU.

Holmes recorded 104 tackles during his senior season at Sachse High near Garland, Texas. Like a few other defensive linemen who recently have committed to Kansas, Holmes said he was impressed by both KU defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt and Weis.

In an interview with JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby, Holmes made it clear what he expects from KU.

“I think the program can turn around fast,” Holmes said. “I wanted to be a part of something new. I think Kansas can win and start getting to bowl games.”

Blasko a name to watch

As Weis’ coaching staff begins to fill in, Jeff Blasko has emerged as a name to watch for KU’s still-vacant tight ends coaching position.

Blasko worked with Weis at Florida during the 2011 season, serving as an offensive intern on the Gators’ coaching staff. Following Weis’ departure from UF in December, Blasko became Florida’s interim quarterbacks coach.

Gill hires ex-KU coaches

The Liberty Flames football program will have a Kansas University flavor to it next season.

Former KU coach Turner Gill, fired by Kansas in November and hired by Liberty two weeks later, announced on Thursday that six members of his KU staff would join him at his new school.

Robert Wimberly will serve as Liberty’s defensive coordinator and safeties coach. Vantz Singletary will coach the defensive line and serve as co-defensive coordinator. And former KU defensive coordinator Carl Torbush, who retired in the spring of 2011 to fight cancer, will return to the sidelines as Liberty’s assistant head coach and will be in charge of linebackers.

On the offensive side of the ball, Aaron Stamn will coach the tight ends and serve as co-offensive coordinator. Joe Dailey, who worked under Gill at KU in 2010, will coach the quarterbacks.

In addition, Adam Morris, who served as the quality control coordinator for KU’s special teams, was named offensive quality control coach.

Comments

roosey 2 years, 3 months ago

This guy looks good. Very instinctual lineman, despite the rankings. If you look at Jaybird's second video he gets off the snap about half a second faster than the rest of the d-line. He's explosive and tenacious, a dangerous combination. I love that he never gives up on a play and he really has a nose for the ball-carrier. With good coaching and a little extra muscle, he could have pro calibre potential.

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Somebody with a Jayhawk slant subscription should tell us what's up with Schyler Miles. He's an awesome linebacker considering KU.

eastTXjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I saw Sachse play Longview (a perennial Texas football power) in the playoffs this year. They were fairly impressive, I believe they've only been playing varsity level sports for 3 years. They certainly had some big boys out there, and have played good competition.

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Orally committed sounds like somthing that gets my comments removed by the LJW staff.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

Slow down a little! All three of these "5-star" guys improve our team but none of them were starting for their former teams. Save the happy dance for 5-star "high school" recruits!!!

F Y I: Each year, between 1/3 to 1/2 of all former 5-star recruits fail to get drafted in the NFL.

Steve Williams 2 years, 3 months ago

as of now have more 5 star recruits committed than everyone except Bama

Steve Williams 2 years, 3 months ago

is ku going to mess around and get a top ten recruiting class?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Mccay! I just peed (a little) in my pants.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Slant is reporting Justin McCay committed to Weis at the end of his visit. He's is currently in the process of enrolling and will be at KU for the spring semester.

Rock Freakin' Chalk.

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 3 months ago

raprichard do you have a link or a source? This would make my day if it's true, thanks.

ozzzy 2 years, 3 months ago

McCay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 3 months ago

Just saw we snagged Justin McCay!! Awesome! This keeps getting better and better!!

packywacky88 2 years, 3 months ago

What in the hell is an "offensive quality control coach"? I'm sure that Adam is a great guy, but after being associated with KU the last two years, how could he accept a job with the word "quality" in the title and keep a straight face?

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 3 months ago

Sachse is 15 minutes from me and they play in a tough league vs the Garland schools that are full of D1 talent so to be named 1st team all district in that district is saying something. Might be a sleeper.

Bizzy0712 2 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk Family, I need your help. For academic requirements I had to begin a blog. I will truly apreciate if you can coment on it a little bit. Here is the link http://kuhoops2011.blogspot.com. Thanks for the support. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! F.O.E.

mondhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Hearing Willie Martinez DB coach Oklahoma DC

Ron Prichard 2 years, 3 months ago

The most impressive thing to me on the video is that when he grabbed the ballcarrier, he almost always made the tackle. Not a lot of missed tackles or whiffs. When he was close enough to grab the runner, the runner went down. Looks a little on the light side, but with some time at the training table and in the weight room with "The Boxer" he could be a solid anchor on the DL.

mondhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

No star rating but i noticed on film he stands up the guard and the OL generally goes backwards also moves real good for a big guy.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 3 months ago

My post above got buried a bit, so I'm re-posting this link here. This is Tyler's highlight reel for 2011:

Jim Jackson 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe signing period is Feb, 5? We need info on the D Coorindator. They may very well have one in place but nothing is concrete and nothing has leaked out? Before the signing period, every recruit is fair game, with their verbal commits, as those are non-binding. But after they sign, it's a done deal and they are off limits. Feb signing period is right around the corner and we only have 9 or 10 guys signed and we need a lot more help on D, etc. Hope Weis knows what he is doing.

railer20 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see Torbush is doing good enough to give it another shot.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

This was one of my biggest problems with Gill, I never got the sense that he was willing to adjust his strategies when things clearly weren't working. So now he gets a new job at a new school and what does he do? Hire the same damn staff! Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. Oh well, good luck Turner, maybe this stop will work out well for you.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 3 months ago

The frontrunner for TE coach seems like he may be a little green...

JayDocMD 2 years, 3 months ago

Kenneth Crawley announced on Twitter he will visit KU next week. He is a rivals 4 star CB from D.C. who was previously commited to Tennessee.

actorman 2 years, 3 months ago

Why no info. about his rating, all-state status, how his high school team has done, etc.? Just wanted to get the info. out quickly?