Friday, January 6, 2012

D-tackle commits to KU football

The Kansas University football team picked up another commitment on the defensive line on Thursday night, when Tyler Holmes, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive tackle from Sachse, Texas, orally committed to KU.

Holmes recorded 104 tackles during his senior season at Sachse High near Garland, Texas. Like a few other defensive linemen who recently have committed to Kansas, Holmes said he was impressed by both KU defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt and Weis.

In an interview with JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby, Holmes made it clear what he expects from KU.

“I think the program can turn around fast,” Holmes said. “I wanted to be a part of something new. I think Kansas can win and start getting to bowl games.”

Blasko a name to watch

As Weis’ coaching staff begins to fill in, Jeff Blasko has emerged as a name to watch for KU’s still-vacant tight ends coaching position.

Blasko worked with Weis at Florida during the 2011 season, serving as an offensive intern on the Gators’ coaching staff. Following Weis’ departure from UF in December, Blasko became Florida’s interim quarterbacks coach.

Gill hires ex-KU coaches

The Liberty Flames football program will have a Kansas University flavor to it next season.

Former KU coach Turner Gill, fired by Kansas in November and hired by Liberty two weeks later, announced on Thursday that six members of his KU staff would join him at his new school.

Robert Wimberly will serve as Liberty’s defensive coordinator and safeties coach. Vantz Singletary will coach the defensive line and serve as co-defensive coordinator. And former KU defensive coordinator Carl Torbush, who retired in the spring of 2011 to fight cancer, will return to the sidelines as Liberty’s assistant head coach and will be in charge of linebackers.

On the offensive side of the ball, Aaron Stamn will coach the tight ends and serve as co-offensive coordinator. Joe Dailey, who worked under Gill at KU in 2010, will coach the quarterbacks.

In addition, Adam Morris, who served as the quality control coordinator for KU’s special teams, was named offensive quality control coach.

Comments

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone have any ideas on schedules? If it follows last year and you plug tcu and west virginia for moo and aggies then they will both be visiting lawrence.. how awesome is that!

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

Why no info. about his rating, all-state status, how his high school team has done, etc.? Just wanted to get the info. out quickly?

KanFan27 2 years, 6 months ago

There really is not a lot of information out there about him. He has a profile on both rivals and scout.com, but neither site has given him a rating. He is a zero star athlete as of now according to both sites. ESPN does not even have a profile on him.

He chose KU over scholarship offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, North Texas, and Western Kentucky among other FCS teams. I respect both the Arkansas State and Western Kentucky programs and am not against having someone they wanted, but still its not reassuring that we are the only AQ team to offer him.

To give an idea of his size he stands at the same height as fellow DT commit Ty McKinney but weighs in at 40 pounds lighter. He has a lot of weight to put on but has years to do it. I'm hoping that he can be a project for our coaches and he can put on weight in all the right places and keep his athleticism and be molded into a great DT, but for now it looks like we won't be hearing his name on game day for at least a few years.

104 tackles at the DT position is very solid but I don't have the slightest clue as to the type of competition he goes up against at his HS. I would like to hear more info about the kid from anyone who knows. At the moment it looks like a rather underwhelming commitment, but its at a position of need and I love any athlete who pledges themselves to the Jayhawk Nation so welcome aboard Holmes.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

Good synopsis. I don't know anything about his High School either except that they went to the 5A Division 2 playoffs this year for the first time ever, and lost in the 2nd round. They play in the same league as Garland, which is where KU recruit Seth Russell (QB) goes to school.

For anyone who's interested, you can see his highlight reel below:

My take-away from the video is has a great motor and shows excellent technique for a High School kid. He is routinely double-teamed yet never gives up on the play and never loses sight of the ball. He also displays decent speed.

He is probably a red-shirt this year, but I think he fits the mold of what Grunny is looking for - a kid with decent size that plays smart and with good technique. It will be interesting to see what he does in a couple of years. He will have access to great facilities and great coaches, so I like his chances.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

Regarding my remark about how he's the type of kid Grunhard is looking for, didn't mean to imply that Tyler will play OL - just that he fits the mold of a smart lineman with good technique.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

So you think Grunny is going to steal him for his OL?

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

Yea - I've had that interview with Grunhard from a while back stuck in my head. He talked about how he was more interested in finding kids with a motor, who were smart, and had good technique than finding kids with huge size. I am in total agreement with him on that. Of course, if your OU or UT you get kids with size AND all that other good stuff (hopefully we'll get there someday). But for KU right now, kids like Tyler fit the mold of what we should be looking for - athletes with good frames and all the right basics who can bulk up with some red-shirt time. I'm anxious to see what this new S&C coach can do with Tyler and others.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks KanFan (and thanks to the others as well).

JayDocMD 2 years, 6 months ago

Kenneth Crawley announced on Twitter he will visit KU next week. He is a rivals 4 star CB from D.C. who was previously commited to Tennessee.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Didn't we lose a 4-star CB recruit to TN when Gill was fired? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 6 months ago

He attended the same high school as Dejon Wilson (a decommit) and with some luck, we might be able to snag both. Hopefully TRob can persuade them as I believe that both live in or near TRob's DC neighborhood.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 6 months ago

We lost a DB recruit (trackman burner from FL) to Tenn, but he was raw, and not a 4*. Fortunately, there is still lots of time to bring in Crawley, McCay, and others, as well as maybe bring back Dejon and the DB.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Maxhawk (I believe) commented the other day that his wife is the assistant principal at Crawley's school, and that KU was making a hard push for him.

Very good news that he's taking a visit.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I knew it was one or the other with your previous post, but after Crawley decided to take a visit I assumed it was him.

Awesome. They options just keep increasing.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 6 months ago

The frontrunner for TE coach seems like he may be a little green...

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 6 months ago

This was one of my biggest problems with Gill, I never got the sense that he was willing to adjust his strategies when things clearly weren't working. So now he gets a new job at a new school and what does he do? Hire the same damn staff! Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. Oh well, good luck Turner, maybe this stop will work out well for you.

kujayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

That's because you can't make an adjustment at halftime to fix being lazy and unprepared.

railer20 2 years, 6 months ago

Glad to see Torbush is doing good enough to give it another shot.

jhawk613 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought the same thing. I'm excited about the future of KU football with Weis, but I wonder what our Defense would have been like in Year 2 with Torbrush...despite the lack of S&C the players were experiencing.

hawk316 2 years, 6 months ago

jhawk613, I thought exactly the same thing. Torbush was very highly thought of, and I suspect that the program never recovered after his sudden retirement. In any case, it is certainly encouraging news that he feels well enough to coach again.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe signing period is Feb, 5? We need info on the D Coorindator. They may very well have one in place but nothing is concrete and nothing has leaked out? Before the signing period, every recruit is fair game, with their verbal commits, as those are non-binding. But after they sign, it's a done deal and they are off limits. Feb signing period is right around the corner and we only have 9 or 10 guys signed and we need a lot more help on D, etc. Hope Weis knows what he is doing.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

I think we all share your anxiousness. I believe the lack of a DC is definitely hurting us in recruiting right now, offensively and defensively. Dieter, the WR from South Bend who chose SMU over us, recently said as much. In one of his tweets he stated that he chose SMU because he doesn't believe KU will have a good defense, and he wants to play for a winner. Now don't get me wrong - I think Dieter is a punk, and if he has aspirations to play in the big league some day I think he made a horrible choice. Nevertheless, his attitude is probably representative of allot of recruits out there. We need a DC announcement real soon that makes a big splash, and convinces these kids that there has been a major paradigm shift on both sides of the ball.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

My post above got buried a bit, so I'm re-posting this link here. This is Tyler's highlight reel for 2011:

ja3hawk 2 years, 6 months ago

This kid looks like an impact player. Holy crap. I know these are handpicked clips but there are A LOT of them... I'm excited for him. RCJHGKU!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of what position you play, 100 tackles is a lot. To get that on the D line is really impressive. The kid has a motor.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

I know these are high school clips but he has a style, tenacity and drive that remind me a whole lot of a great D lineman who made a lot of us very happy.

Dana Stubblefield.

Looking forward to tracking this kids' development, especially once the new strength coach gets ahold of him.

brooksmd 2 years, 6 months ago

That clip was his junior year and he was 6-3, 275. Here's a second clip from the first 6 games this year. Hopefully he's a little bigger.

He's not going against cupcakes. Liked the play in the first clip where he fought off a triple-team. And he never quits on a play. Desire and heart.

mondhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

No star rating but i noticed on film he stands up the guard and the OL generally goes backwards also moves real good for a big guy.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

The most impressive thing to me on the video is that when he grabbed the ballcarrier, he almost always made the tackle. Not a lot of missed tackles or whiffs. When he was close enough to grab the runner, the runner went down. Looks a little on the light side, but with some time at the training table and in the weight room with "The Boxer" he could be a solid anchor on the DL.

mondhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Hearing Willie Martinez DB coach Oklahoma DC

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe this is true. He's a running joke in Georgia because of what he did to their defense. And from what I've heard he hasn't exactly set the world on fire as OU's DB Coach. AND he has none of that touted NFL experience. It makes no sense to me, and would be completely deflating if true. Didn't we just try using a DB Coach as a DC? That didn't work out so well as I recall.

Larry Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't his D top 20 in the country for 3 years while coaching in the SEC? He took the job at OU while being pursued by several top level schools. I don't know exactly who you think we can get, but A guy who can put together a top level defense in the SEC and was wanted by both Stoops and Harbaugh, probably isn't a terrible choice.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

Probably not a terrible choice, as you say, but it isn't the home run choice I was hoping for. Then again, perhaps I'm getting spoiled from all the excitement Weis has brought to the program.

Yes, Martinez had a top-20 D his first three years, but then it got bad fast. By his 5th year (2009) UGA's D was 63rd nationally in scoring defense, 51st in pass defense, and 36th in rushing defense. Their defense allowed 30 points or more in 5 games that year. Those may not seem like horrible stats by KU standards, but that happened at UGA with a team full of 4 and 5 star recruits.

In Martinez' defense (no pun intended) UGA also had a horrible offense in 2009 (75th in total offense), so the defense could never get off the field that year. I also have to remind myself that the difference between best and worst in the SEC is razor thin, so maybe they weren't really that bad. An argument can definitely be made that he got hosed at Georgia. I just know folks in these parts were not sorry to see him go, and the UGA defense went back to being top-20 caliber as soon as he left.

I'll say this, Martinez is a hard-nosed coach who knows what success looks like. He would undoubtedly be an improvement over what we had last year. I just don't know if he is going to bring in any 5 star DT's.

packywacky88 2 years, 6 months ago

What in the hell is an "offensive quality control coach"? I'm sure that Adam is a great guy, but after being associated with KU the last two years, how could he accept a job with the word "quality" in the title and keep a straight face?

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

Just saw we snagged Justin McCay!! Awesome! This keeps getting better and better!!

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Three five stars to Kansas in three weeks?

Read an article in the KC star a few days ago that discussed the fact that Kansas had never signed a 5 star recruit before Crist.

I guess now we know why 3 star Dieter didn't want to sign with Weis, he wants to play in games!

ozzzy 2 years, 6 months ago

McCay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 6 months ago

raprichard do you have a link or a source? This would make my day if it's true, thanks.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Here's the slant article, although I believe you need a subscription:

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks LAJayhawk, good enough for me.. This is awesome, so do we know if he has to sit a year or can he play next season? Another 5* coming to KU.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry for the delayed response. I actually am new to the Twitter world and follow @JayhawkSlant (among many other good KU sources) and that is where I saw it first. Seems like I check it every five minutes on my phone. Great for breaking information; bad for work productivity. Tait also posts on there quicker than he gets his blog up on KUSports.com. He is @mctait. You don't have to tweet anything, but just following people can be really, really interesting.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Slant is reporting Justin McCay committed to Weis at the end of his visit. He's is currently in the process of enrolling and will be at KU for the spring semester.

Rock Freakin' Chalk.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

Mccay! I just peed (a little) in my pants.

Steve Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

is ku going to mess around and get a top ten recruiting class?

Steve Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

as of now have more 5 star recruits committed than everyone except Bama

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Except none of them are technically "recruits," just transfers, so they don't count towards class rankings or whatever that BS hype machine is.

Your point is still very, very valid, though.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 6 months ago

Slow down a little! All three of these "5-star" guys improve our team but none of them were starting for their former teams. Save the happy dance for 5-star "high school" recruits!!!

F Y I: Each year, between 1/3 to 1/2 of all former 5-star recruits fail to get drafted in the NFL.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Todd Reesing didn't get drafted either. I know he wasn't close to a 5-star, but my point being that great college players don't necessarily mean great pro players, and great pro players (or at least ones that see significant minutes) weren't necessarily great college players.

I definitely understand your point about reining in the expectations, but the excitement is much more about the fact that we are picking up guys (QB most especially) that are exceptionally better than what we had. Could they turn out to be very average? Absolutely, but that would still be a significant improvement from where we were.

And the excitement is also about the progress we are making. The fact that we are even landing these type of guys is a definite step forward. Very, very big step forward.

Again, though, you are right. People need to still understand that we will struggle to make a bowl next year, even with these vast improvements.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

Orally committed sounds like somthing that gets my comments removed by the LJW staff.

eastTXjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I saw Sachse play Longview (a perennial Texas football power) in the playoffs this year. They were fairly impressive, I believe they've only been playing varsity level sports for 3 years. They certainly had some big boys out there, and have played good competition.

Jason Keller 2 years, 6 months ago

Somebody with a Jayhawk slant subscription should tell us what's up with Schyler Miles. He's an awesome linebacker considering KU.

roosey 2 years, 6 months ago

This guy looks good. Very instinctual lineman, despite the rankings. If you look at Jaybird's second video he gets off the snap about half a second faster than the rest of the d-line. He's explosive and tenacious, a dangerous combination. I love that he never gives up on a play and he really has a nose for the ball-carrier. With good coaching and a little extra muscle, he could have pro calibre potential.