Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oklahoma football transfer Justin McCay on hand for hoops

Former Bishop Miege High wide receiver Justin McCay, who has announced that he will transfer from Oklahoma, was in Lawrence on Wednesday night to take in the KU-K-State men’s basketball game. McCay, a red-shirt freshman who played in three games this season because of injury, sat in the KU student section with a handful of other recruits and Tim Grunhard, who coached McCay in high school.

McCay has received a release from OU and reportedly is deciding between KU and K-State. Missouri also may remain in the mix for McCay, a former five-star prospect who was the top-ranked player in Kansas according to Rivals.com during his senior year of high school.

Comments

JHawk06 2 years, 3 months ago

+1 Great Post

Memories...I miss all those things, including my Tijuana taxi

(except fountain swimming as I never did it)

Hank Cross 2 years, 3 months ago

Did I just read that a FBer might transfer to KU FROM OU?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

FYI, for those interested...

Slant is reporting that Keon Stowers, our new JuCo DL is attempting to do some "recruiting" of his own. He's working to get Cordarelle Patterson, the nation's number 1 JuCo wide receiver out of Hutchinson CC, to come to KU. Paterson is Stowers cousin and they played in high school. We're currently not listed on Patterson's profile, but I have to think we will be soon if Stowers keeps making a push. We see how that unfolds....

Christopher Hauser 2 years, 3 months ago

DT Tyler Holmes just verbaled to Kansas per jayhawkslant.com

esque 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting article featuring Gabe Toomey whom some of you might remember was a player during the beginning of Mangino's regime. I always wondered what became of him following his sudden and seemingly strange decision to leave the program during a productive career.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like the whole state is rooting for Kansas State tomorrow night in the football game. Thats great.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 3 months ago

dieter just tweeted KU is the worst team in the BIG 12.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 3 months ago

dieter just tweeted KU is the worst team in the BIG 12.

jhawkln 2 years, 3 months ago

I would like to ask how KU fans root for KSU? I was born and bred KU, I have never understood when I read posters on here who root for KSU. Yes, I know they are a Kansas team and a conference member, but I hope Arkansas beats them by a 100. I hate KSU- they beat us 17-1 in sports last year. Screw Bill Snyder and every wildcat out there!

RCJGKU!

beebe1 2 years, 3 months ago

With slowness in the hire, it looks more and more like the '49's. If they get lucky and play thru the Super bowl, hopefully no harm done. There have been comments to that effect, 'March is not too late'.

I still think the matter has been cleared by Z!

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

After last night, this kid will be here at KU.

jerseyhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I once got food poisoning from a tuna sub from yellow sub.. But when I was better I got right back on that bike and got another tuna sub from yellow sub. Because it was soooooooooo good! BTW that was 1984!!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Chargers just canned their DC, wasn't he rumored for a possible fit here?

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

I recall Tait posting that there was a press conference scheduled for today; any news on that?

741hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Univ of Washington is starting over, and thire $250 million stadium renovation will NOT include a track.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 3 months ago

He can't be a KSU lean, him and Grunhard (his HS coach) have a great relationship.

Any news on D coordinator? Any concrete rumors? I feel like we're losing quality defensive players with out an official D coordinator.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

Somebody on here a couple days ago posted that McCay is a heavy KSU lean. Anybody else seen that? I don't subscribe to any recruiting mags, just curious if there's anything behind that. It's hard not to like what you see of the guy in terms of athletic ability.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

shelleysue 2 years, 3 months ago

Justin - it doesn't get any better at any school than what you saw last night. Help us bring that kind of excitement to Memorial Stadium. Rock Chalk!

ozzzy 2 years, 3 months ago

Mr. McCay-- Trying to be completely unbaised, I think KU gives you the best chance to make it to the NFL. At KU you will be a primary target in a NFL style of offense. Please make the right choice. We would love to see you represent KU. Good luck with your decision.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

All you have to do is say, "yes," young fella---uh, Mr. Cay. Rock Chalk!

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

One thought on the coaching staff and the inclusion of Wyatt. Perhaps Weis is wanting to keep some continuity in order to speed up the process next year. By keeping one guy on offense, who can recruit, and keeping one guy on defense, who can recruit, Weis is keeping two guys who can fill him in on the personnel he already has and speed up the transition.

Re: McCay. We've got his high school coach. We've got two 5-star QB's on the way. And we'll have an offense that will throw the ball. If it's between us, the purple plaque and coach DUI, we've got to be able to close the deal on this one.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Just another 4/5 star player ready to play for us, yawn.

(Sarcasm noted. What really is implied is Holy $#!+ HCCW is creating a monster)

jahoward77 2 years, 3 months ago

Excellent post Spring, brought back some great memories (ah, the Chi O fountain runs . . .)!

John Mueller 2 years, 3 months ago

Free advice in the rules of life column: Never follow an 18 yr. old kid on twitter. What the hell could he possibly have to say of value?

I sent this to Tait the other day, and I love me some Matt Tait, but i said "Isn't that what we have you for? I lost a ton of respect for Carl Henry thru the whole recruiting escapade of his kid, can't say his name and he is such a footnote in KU basketball, I can't even remember it.

But, the point is: If you really need that much attention, we don't need you.

We're Kansas. If you want to be a Jayhawk, get on board and enjoy the experience and blessing of the University of Kansas, the Wheel, Joe's donuts, the Yellow sub, Memorial Stadium on a gorgeous fall Saturday, helping move some hottie into GSP and "swimming" in the Chi O fountain sans clothing, not to mention sitting in the shrine of college basketball for 60 or so games while your here.

If you pass on that opportunity, we'll be fine without you. But, for the love of God, take three life doses of humility and shut the hell up. You're not that important.

Kansas is much, much bigger than you are.

treed14ku 2 years, 3 months ago

Just one more comment regarding Gehrig Dieter. Yesterday he made this comment on his twitter, "SMU has Garrett Gilbert. Better than heaps and crist." More classless comments coming from this kid that make me perfectly fine w/ him not picking KU. What is the point of knocking on Heaps and Crist and I like how he failed to capitalize their names as if showcasing some junior high diss ala Mizzou calling KU "kU". The kid seems like such a tool and he will soon be a forgotten footnote on the college landscape. The other day he also said, "KU fans are a bunch of haters". His ego drove his recruitment and he craved gaining twitter followers, which makes his 600+ drop in followers even funnier. Btw, if you are still following him, please unfollow immediately.

DSommersby 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe Coach Stoops and OU gave permission for him to transfer without losing a year for going in conference. Not sure how fast he could play or if he has to sit out one year??? He would be a great pick up for KU. He would be a great target to match up with this pro-style high octane offense. Let's get him in there KU!

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 3 months ago

Any news on whether he'll be granted the hardship waiver?