Thursday, January 5, 2012

K-State’s Frank Martin bemoans board battle

Kansas State head coach Frank Martin, left, and assistant Brad Underwood sit quietly on the bench late in the second half on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 67-49 victory over Kansas State on Jan. 4, 2012.

Download podcast

ESPN video

Highlights: KU vs. Kansas State

Videos

KU vs. Kansas State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Kansas State 67-49 on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

He flapped his arms, barked at officials, tore into his players and flashed his many ferocious faces throughout the game.

Kansas State basketball coach Frank Martin on Wednesday did everything he had done thus far to help the Wildcats race to an 11-1 start and a No. 23 national ranking.

His team, however, did not join him, and the Wildcats were rocked, 67-49 by No. 14 Kansas University at Allen Fieldhouse.

The biggest culprit for Kansas State was rebounding. The Wildcats, who came in outrebounding opponents by more than seven boards a game — good for 25th nationally — were outworked, 50-26, in this one.

“In 27 years, including coaching 13-year-olds, I’ve never been a part of a game that our team got its tail whupped in the physical part of the game the way we did today,” Martin said.

The tone for KU’s dominant night on the glass was set early, when Kansas jumped to a 23-5 lead 11 minutes in and held a 35-20 halftime lead. Martin was not surprised. He’s seen plenty of teams in purple suffer similar fates inside Allen Fieldhouse. In fact, he’s so familiar with it, he even predicted it would happen.

“I told you guys that 10 minutes into the game, the game would probably be over. And that’s kind of what happened,” said Martin, referencing a Tuesday meeting with the media.

Although he has yet to crack the code of what it takes to play well in Lawrence, Martin certainly qualifies as an expert when it comes to explaining why so many teams struggle in front of one of the best home-court advantages in college basketball.

“It’s a combination of three things,” Martin said. “It’s an incredible atmosphere, they’ve got very good players, and they’re coached by one of the best. You put those three things together, there’s a reason they’ve won 83 of their last 85 or whatever it is.”

“It’s deflating,” he said. “That’s the problem with the first five or six minutes of the game here. I think every team that comes in here feels it. It’s not just us. I watch tape. I see everybody’s down 12-2 to start the game here. It’s unbelievable. You take so much effort and energy to get yourself back to where you can manage the game, and then you make a mistake and they make you pay.”

The animated K-State coach so believes in the difficulty of playing well on KU’s home floor that he even cracked a joke about his team’s first point of the night.

“I almost called a timeout when we went up 1-0,” Martin said. “I was so excited we had a one-point lead in the first half.”

Although things did not start nor end well for the Wildcats on Wednesday, they did show pieces of the team that had been trending upward in recent weeks. A 10-0 KSU run early in the second half cut Kansas’ lead to 39-36 with 12:20 to play. But two three-pointers from KU sharp-shooter Conner Teahan kept the ’Cats at bay.

Moments later, after a Will Spradling three-pointer trimmed KU’s lead to 47-41, Kansas responded with a 9-0 run that finished off the Wildcats for good and featured a Travis Releford three-pointer and three straight dunks.

“(Martin) said his past teams had the same problems,” Spradling said. “And we came out the same way we did last year. That hurts.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 6 months ago

I like Frank Martin, for that quote and his intensity. I hope he stays at ksu a long time, because I think he'll keep things interesting, to say the least.

I'm just amazed that the Hawks controlled the boards like they did. I sure didn't see that coming, but then HCBS didn't either. WAY TO GO, HAWKS!!

R O C K C H A L K !!!!!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

GB--yeah, I read that quote by Coach Frank and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Frank is funny, most of the time!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 6 months ago

Frank is fun to watch, better than the sportcasters.

mae 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd love to see him cast our games. On the other hand though, I want him at ksu so we keep some rivalry going. He has turned out to be a surprisingly good coach.

mae 2 years, 6 months ago

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

That is a very funny quote and one reason I actually kind of like Frank Martin.

Although, I suspect he might not be quite as funny and/or likable if his teams were beating us on a regular basis.

kudzutexas 2 years, 6 months ago

Frank is great. I root for him unless he's playing KU. With Mizzu gone K-State moves up as the new rivalry. I hope he stays there.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

43-3 in the last 46 games...that is not a rivalry!!

yates33333 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope K-State never gets rid of Frank Martin. I enjoy watching him as much as the game when KU is laying it on the Cats. May he thrive against every other team K-State plays, but please keep losing to the Jayhawks. I can only think of one other coach in Kansas I liked to watch as much, Gus Fish at Emporia State. Of course, Tark the Shark at the national level was a close second. There are or have been a lot of Big East coaches who also qualify as near great to observe during the game. Basketball coaches as a group are more fun to watch than many of the games and ninety percent of the time more fun than coaches in other sports.

fansincewilt 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if there ever will be another rivalry like Roy Williams and Norm Stewart. That was really a hate/love relationship. I really do like the Self/Martin duo in Kansas. If they will both stick around I think it will develop into a really great rivalry similar to the Williams/Stewart era. Stewart was amusing even to the point of refusing to stay in Kansas or buy anything in Kansas. However, the difference in the two rivalries is that Stewart did have good success against Williams while Martin is struggling to do so. I think that might change but hope not. But there is definitely going to be a void when the border war disappears. I think Martin can get the Wildcats back to the level that Missouri enjoyed and the war will be on.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

When you get a moment, explain to me where the "love" part was?? :)

KUFan90 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, maybe "love" is a little strong, but there certainly was a great deal of respect.

Heck, I think Roy and our fans treated Norm better and showed more appreciation for him on his way out then the Misery fans themselves...

dylans 2 years, 6 months ago

I was in Allen Fieldhouse for Norm's retirement. He received a long standing ovation and was presented with a rocking chair. As I remember he was even handed a mic and had a few nice things to say. All in all it was nice, but the evening was made even better with a KU win!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

Last time I checked KU has gone 43-3 and Bill Self 18-3. So basically Roy Williams had won 35 straight (or maybe he never lost to KSU).

How can that even be considered a rivalry?

What is amazing is KU has a better record in that octagon building than they do at AFH against KSU. I think Martin could use that as some motivation.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

Not that Roy didn't dominate KSU, but 43 - 18 is 25, not 35.

AsadZ 2 years, 6 months ago

Frank Martin is a classic guy and he can coach. If he can get slightly better players KSU will be a force. He is also a genuine individual with a good heart. I remember him giving a hug to Collins on his senior night, and also last year he had requested KSU fans to make a donation to Lisa Robinson fund.

HawksWin 2 years, 6 months ago

+100!! Nice to have a classy rivalry v trash!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

Who would want to play for him? Do you think that 5 Star players want to go somewhere where the coach belittles you?

The 5 Star recruits that were at KSU were brought in by his predecessor, and although he'll get a recruit here and there, he won't get them consistently enough to win.

As you would imagine he wanted out of KSU last year and was pretty disappointed he didn't get to go. I thought it was interesting that KSU didn't even try to renegotiate his contract to get him more money like colleges that want to keep their coach.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree with everyone on this post and also really like Frank Martin. However, I think that is ultimately what may prevent the rivalry with KSU from replacing the KU/MU rivalry. First off, let me say that the KU/MU rivalry is one of a kind and I am going to miss it terribly. I absolutely love to hate MU. I have good friends from MU, but we can never have a long conversation about the KU/MU rivalry without getting angry or voices raising. Keep in mind, these are really, really good friends of mine, the kind you wouldn't hesitate to call in the middle of the night if you needed help. But when it comes to KU/MU, things get heated in a hurry.

I just don't have that same animosity towards KSU. I think part of it is I have so much respect for Frank Martin and Bill Snyder that it is hard to work up that same level of hatred. Even if you want to beat KSU, you can't help but be impressed at how Snyder has turned the football team around (AGAIN) in under two years. The only thing that impresses me about Pinkel is his ability to hold his liquor...

I like hearing Frank Martin's comments and he appears to be a complete class act, although I wouldn't want to be one of his players today or tomorrow. Privately, I would bet Self would admit genuinely liking Frank Martin but despising MU and not really having the same admiration of their coaches. Just a gut feeling, but in my mind, those are the things that will keep KSU from becoming the rival that MU has been for so many years.

I want to beat everyone, and I want to beat them like a drum, but I just can't seem to transfer the hatred I have for MU to anyone else. I think we're going to miss that more than we realize.

zsn 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow, a post I agree with 1000%. I think there is a certain level of classiness which blunts a lot of the visceral hatred - that coaches like Quin, et al were at Mizzou is another piece of evidence. I think Lon Kruger is another one where the visceral hatred towards the school is going to be somewhat blunted. Now, Gillespie on the other hand, that's another story.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

"I just don't have that same animosity towards KSU. I think part of it is I have so much respect for Frank Martin and Bill Snyder that it is hard to work up that same level of hatred."

Well the fact no one from Manhattan ever burned Lawrence to the ground and killed all the males over 12 might factor into the inherent animosity/hatred levels a bit...

Nevertheless, I too like Martin and have been impressed with his coaching and recruiting

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 6 months ago

There may be some regional differences to our prime rivalries. Folks who grew up in Western Kansas with KSU/KU battles on the playground may not find it difficult to view Silo Tech as enemy territory. I also suspect I'd find Frank less entertaining if he was more successful against us. Though, having been to the required Band Day games at KSU as a kid I can't help but admire what Snyder has accomplished. Band Day performances had more folks on the field than in the rickety stands. I never dreamed KSU would field ranked football teams.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

All excellent posts. I too find it hard to come up with the same level of hatred for KSU as I do for Misuse.

I think part of it for me as that I always have a certain chip on my shoulder when it comes to the way the State of Kansas is viewed by the rest of the country, so I feel a certain kinship to anyone who's representing Kansas. So there will always be a strong part of me wanting to root for any Kansas team against another state.

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Classy guy, Frank Martin. Amazing that he has made such a spectacular leap into Div. I head coaching and done so well with the kids he has been able to recruit to and keep in Manhattan. Yeah, if he ever tires of coaching there should be a bigtime mic ready and waiting for his broadcasting input. That support for the Lisa Robinson Fund endeared him to much of the Jayhawk Nation for a long spell...at least until we should ever lose to him twice in a season!

waywardJay 2 years, 6 months ago

We just put 2 to 1 numbers on him. 2-1 in rebounds at this level of the game just shows youth on k-state's side. They will be much more ready to compete next time.

Will be much harder to snake those kind of numbers without REle/Johnson matching Trob's Output. On the Bright side, Withey was starting to look like he's becoming mean out there. If he starts playing all hulk-i-fied, may not matter much what the Kitties throw out there.

KULee 2 years, 6 months ago

Frank Martin is a great coach and more importantly a genuine guy, too bad everyone isn't as transparent as Frank. I think we have the best coach in the game HCBS is remarkable, #1 no doubt, but Frank is a great coach too.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Frank Martin and Bill Snyder are great coaches and are an asset to Kansas sports.

hwtan 2 years, 6 months ago

"According to Martin’s astute observations, the biggest obstacle for just about every team that plays at Allen Fieldhouse comes in the opening minutes.

“It’s deflating,” he said. “That’s the problem with the first five or six minutes of the game here. I think every team that comes in here feels it. It’s not just us. I watch tape. I see everybody’s down 12-2 to start the game here. It’s unbelievable."

That is why the banner says, "Pay heed all who enter, beware of the Phog."

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

Martin Classy?

Am I the only one that remembers him running off three boys last year.

When one of the people knocked their tooth out he said something offensive about it.

Remember how he had to apologize on national TV for belittling one of his players on a nationally televised game, I think he even made physical contact with the kid and he nearly lost his job.

The coach that on the cover of the team's basketball guide, he is on it and not his team.

The list goes on.

Christopher Hauser 2 years, 6 months ago

DT Tyler Holmes just verbaled to Kansas per jayhawkslant.com, in case anyone was interested