Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 70-58

• 8 p.m., Feb. 27, 2012
  • Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

CELEBR-EIGHT: Kansas clinches outright crown

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson goes up for a dunk against Oklahoma State on Monday, Feb. 25, 2012, at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

KU coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 27, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson

KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 27, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Oklahoma State

Box score

— After dancing with the Big 12 trophy late Monday night in a jubilant visitor’s locker room, Kansas University team leaders Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson modeled their ‘8 Str 8 Champs’ T-shirts and hats for media members in the Gallagher-Iba interview area.

The high-scoring Jayhawk duo, who combined for 44 points in a 70-58 victory over Oklahoma State, soaked in the euphoria after the victory that assured KU’s program an eighth-straight regular-season conference crown.

“I just want to thank everybody that said we weren’t going to win it this year,” Robinson said with a smile, before taking questions from reporters.

“We got (No.) 8 baby. This one feels good, too,” Robinson added after scoring 17 points off 6-of-15 shooting and grabbing 11 rebounds in 36 minutes.

“We knew what we had before we hit the floor (this season), before the whole world saw it,” he noted after the Jayhawks improved to 15-2 in league games with one remaining. Second-place Missouri is 12-4 with two to play. “I knew our guys weren’t scared to work hard. Proving ourselves to people was motivation to us. I think it had everything to do with it, to prove to everybody we could come back and defend our title.”

Taylor sounded a bit hoarse after KU’s 25th victory in 30 games.

There was a good reason for that, he said after scoring 27 points off 10-of-15 shooting — 4-of-7 from three.

“Celebration, baby, celebration. That’s it,” Taylor said.

He scored 10 straight points in a 10-0 run that boosted a 60-52 lead (with 5:31 left) to 70-52, squashing any OSU hopes of pulling out a victory.

Taylor, who played 37 minutes, chased around OSU senior guard Keiton Page, who exploded for 29 points off 10-of-19 shooting (7-of-14 from three) on his own Senior Night.

“Everybody gave him a standing ovation. I clapped it up for him,” said Taylor, who hugged Page after Page left with under a minute to play. “He deserved it. He’s been a tough guard all four years. It was Senior Night, and he played well. I’m happy for him.”

KU coach Bill Self at one point was upset with Taylor for failing to stick with the elusive Page.

“Tyshawn and I kind of got into it because he guarded him miserably when he had 11 straight (for OSU in second half),” Self said. “I told Elijah (Johnson), ‘He (Taylor) can’t guard him. You take him. Ty, you’ve got the other kid.’ He (Taylor) got upset and stayed on him and did a better job. Fortunately for us, he was able to match him basket-for-basket down the stretch.”

The Jayhawks, who led, 30-22, at halftime, were sluggish early just two days after beating Missouri in an overtime thriller in Allen Fieldhouse. That’s the game in which KU erased a 19-point deficit.

“We are tired,” Self said. “This is as tired as I can remember being, personally. I know the players are. That game Saturday was the most emotional regular-season game ever. There was a lot of pressure on our guys to win that game. This was probably the hardest game we’ve had this year other than that game. Our guys were pretty efficient.”

Robinson agreed that the Jayhawks were dead tired.

“Coach said something in the locker room, that this was an emotional letdown. That’s a good way to describe it,” Robinson said. “We were so high the other night, so geeked up. Today we were still talking about it. Our bodies were tired. We had to come back and get it rolling today.”

The victory and title seemed to energize the Jayhawks, who posed for pictures with the trophy with family members and fans before heading to the team bus.

“Where’s the trophy?” Robinson said, unable to locate it.

Freshman Merv Lindsay had carted it safely to the team bus, signaling it was time for the players to board the vehicle for a four-hour ride home.

“This team,” Self said, “has been awfully fun to coach.”

Next up is an 8 p.m. regular-season finale against Texas on Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse. It’s Senior Night for Taylor, Jordan Juenemann and Conner Teahan.

Comments

Cmill1221 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Amazing. 55 confrence championships. UNLV the school I go to has only been a university for 55 years. It's impossible to talk to these people out here about tradition but that really puts it into perspective.

Keith Kienzle 3 years, 2 months ago

remember way back in 2004 when unlv was only a university for 47 years and Kansas had won only 47 conf championships....

Cmill1221 3 years, 2 months ago

Haha. Yeah, when I first came out here it was 50. And I remember people talking about the "Great UNLV basketball tradition". People would actually try and convince me it was comparable to Kansas. I understand they were only being loyal fans. Still I could not help but point out that the building KU plays basketball has been around longer than UNLV has been a school.

KUbsee69 3 years, 2 months ago

Since you're in Vegas, look up Shabazz and explain it to him :)

El Jay 3 years, 2 months ago

i'll second that. And not that i for one second take it for granted, but youre right Cmill, that does put it into perspective nicely. I think its fair to say we're a little spoiled at KU.

Cmill1221 3 years, 2 months ago

I know some kids who played w/ him in High School but honestly if he doesn't pick Kansas after going to that game Saturday then we never had a real chance of landing him in the first place and I don't want him, because he is obviously out of his mind! I don't know how you can go to that game as a young player and NOT want to play there. He will see that when he compares it to the Duke UNC game.

Alex Berger 3 years, 2 months ago

Ditto! Proud of our program and hope we can trust Self even when we have down years (at this rate, if that ever happens).

Good article on ESPN about this accomplishment

jakejayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey AlBerg, thanks for posting the link to this great story.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

the response thread to that link is awesome! lots of props to ku!

David Robinett 3 years, 2 months ago

"At the end of the day, coaches are measured by national titles, and you get national titles by surviving the insane landmine that is the NCAA tournament. But when you peel back the March Madness and really dig in, this is what college hoops success looks like. In the past 10 years, few have done it better than Self."

Absolutely!

Kye Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

I was surprised EJ wasn't assigned to guard Page. Not because Tyshawn isn't a capable defender (Page's 29 points tonight notwithstanding), but because Ty is often called upon to carry the offense and expends so much more energy on that end. Not a criticism, just an observation, so save all your "negative nancy" responses!

To pull this win off, given everything that had been talked about - emotional let-downs, Page's senior night, past troubles in Stillwater, etc - it's just awesome. Congratulations fellas. You earned it!

Rock Chalk.

nb4ku 3 years, 2 months ago

I was somewhat surprised EJ didn't have him as well.

I will say in Ty's defense, several of those points came when there had been a switch on D or long rebounds that were kicked to him while the D was trying to recover. I knew Page was going to get his with it being senior night and all.

Congrats Hawks!! Great season thus far!!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 2 months ago

Heck, I might have put Releford on him, given that Releford is expending all that effort on defense to the expense of any offensive production ....

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I hear you. The thing is Releford is capable of producing on the offensive end, but we have more capable guys on that end. We rely much more on Releford's defense than anything else from him.

NomadHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I think Ty may have gotten a little discouraged early when Page hit a few huge off-balance three-pointers with hands in his face the whole time. That had to be a little frustrating, but he turned the D on when he had to!! Ty is the best PG is the country, RCJH!!!

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Some Observations:

1) Tyshawn Taylor was definitely the Hawk to Rock tonight! Outside of a few defensive lapses as Self described, he played fantastic. I think the emotional toll of Saturday and the quick turnaround probably had something to do with that.

Is there any guard in the entire country playing better than TT right now? The National Media needs to give this kid his due! It's taken 3.5 years, but TT finally gets it and it's great to see.

2) Withey's dunk was nasty! I know some may be concerned about Withey's play the last two games, but I'm not concerned about his play as much as I'm concerned about the opponents game plan to limit Withey from the equation.

Outside of Anthony Davis, Withey may have the most impact on the defensive side of the ball as anybody in the entire country. With that said, Missouri has obviously done it twice this season, and Okie State did it tonight by playing "Small Ball". Opponents are figuring out that if you can get Withey away from the paint that it is easier to score points and it's also easier to get him in foul trouble when he's picking up fouls 20 feet away from the basket trying to hedge on screens.

I'm not really worried if Kansas has to play against another team that also has "Big's", but the "Small Ball" and a team like Duke (Ryan Kelly) who can pull Withey out to the perimeter is a concern. I'm really not sure how you combat that obstacle, but it certainly is an interesting dynamic that will present itself again as we head into postseason play.

4) KY's reverse dunk was also pretty creative on the fast break. I'm not sure Self liked it, but I'm just glad he didn't miss it or otherwise the KY would be put in the drawer for a little while.

5) Did anybody catch Bob Knight's rant about the cheerleaders and dance team being athletes. I was waiting for him to slip up somehow, but he made me laugh as he was talking about it.

6) KU shot 5-12 from 3 point range which is a perfect number for this squad. 12 attempts is great and exactly what I want to see. Wish EJ could have knocked down at least 1, but I don't mind his 2 attempts either.

7) Wesely and Tharpe provided some decent minutes off the bench. Tharpe didn't commit any turnovers and Wesley had a nice putback and a couple of blocks.

cont'd

Note2Self 3 years, 2 months ago

We need to put a three-three point rule on EJ. If he misses his first three three point attempts, he can take no more. Some nights he's totally got it, some nights he don't. Know what I'm sayin'.

surfingjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Note, I halfway agree with you there. If he's struggling from three, he needs to use his athleticism (albeit nothing compared to the OSU dance team's athleticism) to penetrate...maybe get a mid-range jumper, a lay-up, or possibly get to the line...anything to take the lid off. Make something inside...light turns green.

JHawk06 3 years, 2 months ago

Good little writeup BigMan. The comments about "small ball" being Witheys achilles heal is spot on. Which does create some concern come tourney time.

TT should definitely be recognized more.

Rock Chalk

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

8) Kudos to the 5'9" Keaton Paige! Kid is a stud! A shame he doesn't have more help down there in Stillwater, but glad to see him end his career at GIA in dramatic fashion.

9) I'm glad KU played Mizzou on Saturday (Very dramatic and emotional) and then had to turn around go on the road at the most hostile environment in the Big 12 (It's debatable-I'm sure some will bring up KSU and ISU) on a day's rest.

I'm glad this happened late in the season because this is exactly what will have to be done in the NCAA Tournament when everything is one and done and for all the marbles. Get some rest this week!!!!!!!!!!!

10) All I have to say.........................8 Str8!!!!!!!!

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

One correction. All those you mention are tough courts, and as a Jayhawk, they are hostile, but: KU is the most hostile environment in the Big 12.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Kansas can't play against itself in AFH? :) Who would you root for? I guess it would be like the Legends game..............a tie!

Note: I think AFH is a given. Let's talk in terms of where KU has to play.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

LOL Just having fun. ;>)

This season's dinner menu has been enjoyable.

KU shared hors d'oeuvre's (Pupus in Hawaii) with seven other teams, but had to Duke it out over who would pay the tab.

The Jayhawks had a mixed salad of wins and losses during the preconference games.

They have one item left during the main course of Big 12 conference play. It's been a varied banquet with Oklahoma salad oil dressing, baked Tigers, Wildcat fritters, and Iowa State corn. The Texas Longhorn steaks are still heating up on the BBQ.

Next comes the dessert trey - the Big 12 tournament. Will KU finish with flaming Baked Alaska or something bitter sweet and hard to digest.

And finally, and hopefully, the Jayhawks and Coach Self can enjoy a nice after dinner apertif, to celebrate an appearance in the Final Four.

The big question: Which three teams get stuck splitting the dinner tab and paying the tip?

Nick Cole 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Paige Arena? I would say that's tougher than GIA. GIA is only in full force when their team is doing well. Paige is always packed for the KU game, even if mizzou is their usual not-so-good self.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 2 months ago

With all due respect Shaw, that was hardly a hostile environment last night. It wasn't even a full house, and that arena is not very big. I believe you have to put Mizzou up there this year at least. Ford better be careful because if you can't fill a small place on a night when KU come to town AND its your Senior nite!? That doesn't bode well for the product he is putting on the floor.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm talking consistently if there is such a thing outside of Kansas in the Big 12! And..........GIA holds 13,611 which I wouldn't consider small when compared to most college basketball venues across the country.

Yes, they didn't pack it last night nor was it very hostile, but GIA has had pretty rowdy crowds in the past.

Also, of course GIA wouldn't compare to anything Kansas/Mizzou put on the floor in AFH or Columbia this season..................it's the last time they are playing so it's extra emotional.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

BigManU, Other than AFH, there have been only two arenas, Bramlage and Hilton, that have consistently had great fans and been hostile to other teams. The crowd last night at GIA was pathetic. Considering that a top 5 team was coming to play, looking to wrap a conference title on senior night, you would have thought that the place would be sold out and loud; it was neither. As far a Missouri, the fans are also pathetic. They have their best team in what....twenty years? and how many times have they sold out the joint? If you watched the MU-KSU game you would have seen that with two minutes left in the game, half of the arena was empty including court side seats; I certainly hope that KU fans would not do that, perhaps the yuppie "wine and cheese" crowd with the ultra expensive seats, but not the students.

JD Roth 3 years, 2 months ago

The end of the KSU at MU game was pathetic from a fan support perspective. More empty seats than occupied on the TV screen. Last nights attendance at GIA was pathetic and no excuse for (1) being senior night, and (2) with KU in town. Bramlage is second to Allen when K-State is playing well. Also, so much for a Trap Game Alert.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

11) From the picture above...............the drive and dish by EJ to T-Rob for that nasty dunk and beautiful pic was awesome! What a play! I actually thought EJ missed him initially when T-Rob was slipping into the paint from the top of the key, but it all worked out in the end.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Incentive. Motivation. Chip on the shoulder. As TRob said, it took the doubts of just about everyone to push this team to the level they are today. Perhaps over the last few years it seemed too easy for KU. When you start at the top, there is no where else to go but down.

This team has had to earn everything it's achieved. They're still not at the top, ranked #1 like the previous years, but don't tell them they can't make it.

Or, maybe we should tell them. Got to keep them motivated. I'll add my two cents. I don't think you can win it all, Hawks.

Now go out and prove me wrong.

AsadZ 3 years, 2 months ago

This team has achieved what nobody thought it could do it. It has been such a pleasure to see these players develop over course of the season. And what a job HCBS has done. This has to be his best coaching job. With such inexperienced players and extremely thin/limited talent wise bench, to win another Big 12 championship outright is simply amazing. Words can't describe it. Rock Chalk.

cklarock 3 years, 2 months ago

Man, how many years have we said "this has to be his best coaching job." This guy is the top coach in the country, IMO. What a stud. 8 titles in a row in a power conference? Unheard of in the modern era. Just amazing.

Rock Chalk!

s6u6r6f 3 years, 2 months ago

Hell of a rebuilding year. Rock chalk.

Shawn Otrimble 3 years, 2 months ago

"KU, Saves Big 12 from Embarrassment." I'm so thankful for our Jayhawks this year. Even if they don't win another game. We are the only team that has kept Mizzouri from leaving the Big 12 with our league hardware and bragging rights. Misery= SEC-ond. This is the stuff of folk lore. Now a big thank you has to go to K-State for beating them twice. Here we are a year after Nebraska has left and I was reading an article about them wanting a new coach for basketball and a lot of the reply's by Big 10 fans were that they don't want Nebraska in their conference. They write how Nebraska has watered down the Big 10 and don't deserve to be there. Just wait til the SEC realizes what they have with Misery and A@m. Where I believe our new additions will compete right away atleast in football. What a great time to be a Jayhawk.

Ted Toulouse 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, we need to make sure Mizz-poo doesn't leave with the XII tourney trophy either.

JHawk06 3 years, 2 months ago

here here. Thanks K-State (wow, never thought I would say that)

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

In basketball, Nebraska definitely waters down the Big 10 because they haven't had a good team since the mid 90's, but they are good in just about everything else will only help the Big 10's overall profile.

danmoore 3 years, 2 months ago

We can also thank OU for performng the same task last year by beating the cobs in the football title game.

Don't want to face mizwho again in the conference tourney or big dance. I would prefer Saturdays game to be the defining last game of the rivarly. But they do need to be eliminated in both tournaments!

Craig Carr 3 years, 2 months ago

8 in a row is ridiculous, we are all spoiled. Tyshawn is the best all around pg we have ever had, at least since 1978 to now. He should be Big 12 poy, and coach Self has seperated himself from all but the greatest of the great. Rock Chalk as this run is the best in a long line of success!

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 2 months ago

Bold statement. Not sure his body of work represents your claim but I think this year in particular he has been tremendous...the perfect backcourt compliment to our front court.

Now what happened to Releford...I site him as the catalyst earlier this season when we needed a boost..he was the man...had a couple huge nights. Now he seems reluctant a bit, less aggressive...fewer plays drawn up for him, etc.

Ed Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

Releford hurt his achilles tendon last year when he was out for a bit and was told then his explosive first step would never come back. he totally adjusted his game but as the season wore down you could see him a little gimpy from time to time. He came on strong when needed but I think he paid the price. I hope he gets enough rest for the Big XII Tourney Final and the Big Dance! If Wesley and Young can keep escalating their game like they have it would give us the Releford we have seen for a few games.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

I think you need to define "Best". How do you do that?

Aaron Miles and Adonis Jordan have the resume to back up their claims. I think you need to wait until the season is over because unfortunately NCAA tournament success also has a say in a players legacy.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

He had a good NBA career, but zero final 4's for the squad's he had is very disturbing.

An Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16's, and a Second Round exit is the worst profile of any Jayhawk point guard in the Modern Era since 1985.

Take your pick from Cedric Hunter, Kevin Pritchard, Adonis Jordan, Aaron Miles, and Sherron Collins (Hell throw in Russell Robinson in there if you want) and there is one thing that Jacque Vaughn is missing? Care to take a guess?

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 2 months ago

It's a little ridiculous to give all the credit or blame for a Final 4 appearance to the point guard. The numbers don't lie -- Jacque was one of the greatest KU PGs.

andrewbary 3 years, 2 months ago

Love the avatar. The girl next door in Lawrence!

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sayin you're right or wrong....Here's a list of PGs of note since then from my feeble memory....Valentine, Hunter, Pritchard, Jordan, Vaughn, Hinrich, Miles, Robinson, Collins....Did I forget somebody?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Pritch probably had the best year statistically of any KU point guard his senior year, and he won a ring.

Valentine was the most dominant for four years.

Kirk might have been the best had he played PG all his seasons, but he didn't.

Or Jo Jo might have been the best had he played point guard.

Sherron won more games at PG than anyone and won a ring, and carried a team on his back his junior year, and much of his senior year.

So: Sherron was the best so far in my book.

But Tyshawn gets my vote for best point guard considering both ends of the floor for a single season, exclusive of the ring thing.

But in the final analysis, the ring thing matters.

It keeps Valentine from being unarguably the best of all time and holds down speculation about just how great Kirk and Jo Jo could have been, and both could have been fabulous playing four years on the point.

It forces Pritch and Collins to the top of the list. Many turn up their noses at Pritch and Collins, because they don't pass the eye test for what most think a PG ought to look like and ought to do. But these two guys were superb PGs, each in his own way.

And superb as I think Tyshawn has become, if he wants to sit at the head table with Pritch and Sherron, he's got to win a ring.

Its just part of the qualification for the job at Kansas.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, but there are so many factors and caveats involved in winning or not winning a title. Pritchard and Sherron won titles as secondary players in their sophomore years -- both were big contributors but not THE MAN. Both fell short once the teams were in their hands as upperclassmen.

That's not to take away what they accomplished at all. I love those guys. I just think it's very hard to determine who KU's best point guard has been because there have been so many good ones but no dominant Chris Paul or Derrick Rose-level superstar who could settle the argument. A championship is a very compelling argument, but I would still have a hard time saying that Pritchard or Sherron were better than Jacque or Kirk.

Now if this year's team were to win it all, with Tyshawn putting up these kinds of numbers, then you'd have a strong case for him not only being at the table but being at the head of the table.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Hawk of Ages,

Collins was not the primary point gaurd on the national title team.

There's not much argument for Robinson being greater than Collins (Robinson is one of my all-time favorite hawks by the way), but Robinson was the primary ball handler on the title team (even though Collins maybe should have been the starter). To say that Collins winning a title makes him a greater PG than Valentine, Vaughn, or Miles, etc is a flawed argument.

That said... I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I wish that Collins had won title #2 instead of falling to UNI. He could have put the argument to pasture.

Here's food for thought...

Because of his full body of work, I don't think that Taylor has much of a chance in the GOAT argument. Unless he leads this team to the Promised Land and is tourney MOP.

If Taylor leads his team to the title this year and is the NCAA Tourney MOP does he eclipse Collins (my answer is yes)? Where does he fall in the GOAT argument then?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

If the team wins a ring this year, then its a matter of who put up the better numbers: Pritch, Sherron, or Tyshawn?

We can't say TT was best for a career, because he only played PG for two seasons. Over a career, it would have to remain between Pritch and Sherron.

But a serious debate can ensue over the best season at PG, of TT wins a ring.

I think Sherron has to fall out, because, as you point out, he split the point with RR, even though Self said Sherron was probably the best player on that team.

That would reduce things to Pritch vs. Tyshawn.

Pritch had Danny.

Tyshawn has TRob.

For KU to win the ring this season, TRob would have to have a tournament pretty close to what Danny had.

TRob does not seem to be as great to me as Danny was, because Danny did it for several seasons, but I really think TRob may be a freak of nature and one of the best late bloomers ever. Any way, it would be close between Danny and TRob if KU wins this season.

So again, it largely comes down to Pritch vs. Tyshawn.

Pritch had the better numbers.

But Tyshawn is just so awesomely quick and so great defensively, that I would have to say that Tyshawn has the greater talent.

But numbers don't lie and Tyshawn's numbers, good as they are, are not as good as Pritch's were.

If they both win a ring, I am going to straddle the fence and call it a tie, though if I had to build a team for today's game, I would pick Tyshawn over Pritch.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Tyshawn's performance in OT against Mizzou puts him in any discussion of great KU point guards. But what I'll remember most about that game is TT spending the previous 40 minutes fighting thru all those brutal outside screens and taking a beating doing so, something that will not show up on any stat sheet. And still having the energy to step up and take charge at crunch time. GOAT or not, TT came thru in a huge way when we needed him most. I wish I could be there Saturday to see him get all the kudos he deserves.

To date.

Seal the deal, TT. Beat Texas and then the next 9 in a row. If you make it happen it is no dream.

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 2 months ago

There was a half way decent preachers kid out of St. Louis a few years back by the name of White....JoJo White

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

Jo Jo is First Team All Time imo..He wasn't included in my list because the original post said "at least since 1978"

Steve Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

correction Valentine, Hunter, Turgeon, Pritchard, etc. etc.

KULA 3 years, 2 months ago

Fun to watch Tyshawn's mom celebrating. She must have been reading some of the haters on this board the last couple years, lol. My boy can BALL!!!

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 2 months ago

That was hilarious...the Osu fan next to her was very uncomfortable...hahaha...was hopin they would have showed her on Sports Center.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

It just makes me wonder what the heck there is to do in Stillwater, Ok on a Monday night in February that won't allow them to completely fill the stands on Senior Night with the number 3 (or 4) team in the nation in town?

april28 3 years, 2 months ago

No juice in that building at all...surprising.

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Those kind of environments prepare us for the first couple rounds of the tourney.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

There are usually a lot more jayhawk fans in gallagher. I think we are all worn out from saturday and the pokes stink this year. Trust me there is nothing to do in Stoolwater.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 2 months ago

Tractor pull? Nascar that was running on the free TV? Warrent Round-up? Wait, that last one was for MethZoo.

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Hah! You nailed it. Daytona was on tv and they chose that over saying goodbye to Page. Shameful.... but kinda funny

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

And people still think Self might run home for the money.......

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

Eskimo Joe's probably had a drink special.

53jayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, Eskimo Joe's had 2 parking places in front of it as we exited town after the game - so it couldn't have been very crowded.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

UncleMiltyN,

Self has been at this long enough, and he has become good enough, that he could do what he is doing at KU at OSU, or KSU, or MU.

At a certain point, in our society, he has to cash in for his kids and their kids. He's got the FU money, but they don't. KU is going to have to take care of his kids, or someone else will. Its as simple as that.

My worry is that BGL and Sheahon are so juiced about the revenue opportunity stemming from KU committing to invest heavily in football and become the third major football program in the Big 12, now that the departures of NU, TAM, and MU have cleared the path, that they will not be motivated to open up the treasury for Self.

Self has proven he is not a gold digger. But he's also proven he's an adroit bargainer and not a cheap date. They are shortly going to have to pay a great deal of money to keep him. Presently, Pickens would have little hesitation to buy out the rest of his contract and bring him home to Stillwater. And at least a dozen NBA teams understand they would certainly be better off with Self than what they've got, despite his never having coached in the league. If Jerry West thought Roy would make a great Laker coach (and he did), then almost every GM with a brain bigger than a neutrino would get that Self is an even better property.

Success always has a price tag, as it should.

Self's is going to be high, because he has just proved he can win big and fill the stands in an off year, for the second time in four years, and without dark clouds of recruiting violations, and without check book recruiting...at least of the kind that draws NCAA investigators. This dog can hunt.

But BGL and Sheahon are probably largely looking at things through the lens of how much more money they could make as the third top football program in the Big 12 Super Conference (assuming they can shoulder OSU and KSU aside) and thinking, well, basketball can always attract a pretty good coach, and make about the same kind of bones, so the priority has got to be football.

Nothing will ever be the same at KU, or KUAD, after staring into the abyss of the Big 12 collapsing without KU having a credible football program. It was too scrary for BGL and Sheahom to think about stepping down to being Chancellor and AD in the Mountain West, or Conference USA. These to have worked their entire careers to be Chancellor and AD in a big time conference with the possibility of stepping up to the same positions at the next higher grade of major university.

So: they are going to be thinking football first and basketball second the next five years, and Self's next big opportunity to jump will and cash in will arise sometime within this five year window for sure--probably after this season, or next.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Great points as usual.

I usually speak from the heart and my heart says as handy as the green is, Bill already has plenty and he's driven by more than that.

He's a basketball player, coach and fan and someone with a deep appreciation of basketball history. I would be shocked beyond belief if he left Kansas for ANY other college job. I suppose he could be lured someday by the NBA, but why? There is no job out there that could be as much fun (not that his job is FUN, but you know what I mean!) and as rich in basketball tradition as KU.

I hope he's here to stay. For some odd reason, I take pride in the fact that we've only had 8 basketball coaches in the 114 years of B-ball.

How awesome is that?

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 2 months ago

it is awesome indeed.

I hope that he's here to stay too. Just think what he could do at KU if he stays as long as Koach Shizefsky at Duke?

I'm not so sure that he wouldn't go to Okie State. Self loves OSU. And he believes that he could make OSU a national title team. I could see that challenge (and bukoo dollars) enticing him to OSU.

But I also believe that he's a gentleman and wouldn't want to bail KU and bolt to OSU. That's not playing nice. Roy had a hard time leaving KU for UNC... he stayed once... then temptation got him. I hate to think Bill would do the same thing... especially because KU and OSU are neighbors and league foes. Maybe he leaves for the NBA and if it doesn't pan out the way he wants then he falls into OSU...

Either way I hate to think about losing our coach.

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree. He certainly could win at a high percentage anywhere. He could not recreate the combination he has going now in Oklahoma...and he knows it.

Pay the man top dollar. Bad decisions could be made that change the current situation. My earlier comment was indeed insufficient.

I was trying to bring attention to the fact that the Big Monday basketball crowd that NuLeaf was talking about is indicative of big cultural difference(and historical change) between Self's current location and one of the only places he would likely take a job.

How about "Money alone(as long as the difference isn't too big) would not bring Self home at this point in his career."

Resurection/creation of a FrankenIba and a National Championship would not change the fact that it is a football town now and for the foreseeable future. Self knows it.

I don't think money alone would bring him back, but we do need to pay him enough to make sure....

Juxtapose the environment in Allen on Saturday to the one at Iba on Monday and ask yourself if hiring a top 5 coach could recreate that in Stillwater, Norman, Austin...I remember almost a decade of games in Allen when KU was not great, but Allen was rockin and packed for the most part. It certainly would have been if the #4 team in country came to town.

We are relying on some people to not become complacent. T. Boone money is long, but you cannot buy everything. On a side note....Football will not be the dominant sport at this university no matter how much money they throw at it....unless the NBA starts recruiting kinds in utero.

floridajayhawks 3 years, 2 months ago

I worry that he is going to take off, if or when the Big 12 implodes.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I was ready to turn off the TV in the 2nd half against Mizzou and give up until I thought about your friend Betty.

Rock Chalks last forever!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

FoCoCoHawk - that's awesome!! I'm glad you read that story. I felt a little weird even writing that, like somehow I was invading her privacy. But I guarantee you that she would be SO happy that you stuck around and watched that inicredible comeback, and so am I. RCJH !

EverRisingHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk - the run by this team has been nothing short of epic. They bought into a version of themselves that they believed in from day one - took the best of what they knew they could be, and they worked to make it real. Throw your lighters up.

ccarp 3 years, 2 months ago

Well done, Jayhawks! Very proud of 8 str 8! :-) Now let's make a run at the remaining hardware!

Kevin Crook 3 years, 2 months ago

Sustained excellence. Nobody else in the country is doing anything like this. HCBS is the best in the business. Congratulations to these kids for going to Stillwater and getting it done under such difficult circumstances. 8 straight!

LSHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

WOW, I remember at the beginning of the year how everyone said this will be a rebuilding year and we might finish 3rd or 4th.....really!!! Great job by the entire team and coaching staff to prove everyone wrong, as they say " we dont rebuild we reload"!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

West Virginia is watching and getting a little nervous. Huggy knows what he's coming into, since he was in the middle of it for a short while. But, this was called a "down year" for KU! If he checks out the incoming pups, he should be even more nervous. The W.Va fanbase may be similar to Mssouri's, in some ways. We'll welcome them with open arms, however, and point them in the direction of that sign in AFH, Beware of the Phog.

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I hear you. Also, I don't see KU having an intense rivalry with W.Va. They'll just be another OkSt. They may beat us a few times, but it won't incur that hatred we feel for Missouri.

Nick Cole 3 years, 2 months ago

Nothing will incur that hatred we feel for missouri.

KansasComet 3 years, 2 months ago

Just another year in the Big XII for the Kansas Jayhawks! The more things change, the more they stay the same!

april28 3 years, 2 months ago

One of those rare times in sports when the "no one thought we could do it" mantra is actually true. I listened at the start of the season to a local sports radio show (BTL on 810) and had to listen to Jack Harry, sports anchor on Fox 41 (and Mizzou grad) go on and on about how KU was going to finish 5th in the conference.

Holy crap does revenge taste sweet!

Self said it best - an amazing team. Amazing accomplishment.

dw3c 3 years, 2 months ago

Someone should tell him that winning Big 12 titles is KU's birthright... as long as HCBS is here.

Complete joke (kinda). Seriously though, someone needs to shut that guy up.

kufankam 3 years, 2 months ago

PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING POST:

I am just curious if anyone else got the same feeling I did last night. Let me start off by saying that I LOVE TRob! I love his game and his toughness. I am wondering if all of this A. Davis talk from the nat'l media effected the way TRob tried to play. I don't know (I may be reaching), but I just got this feeling last night like TRob was hunting for highlights... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it that he takes it to the hole strong. I love it that he has a motor that never stops. I just don't want him to press too much. Hopefully he was just fatigued, thus resulting in some of the missed dunks and being dunked on when he didn't even need to contest it. I hope that is it and not that he so badly wants to prove his worth over the likes of A. Davis.

With that said, what a telling comparison ESPN showed last night between the two. Against ranked teams TRob is going for 20/13 (i think) and Davis is going for 13/6/4 or something like that... to me, TRob can play free of any pressure (as Self has called "with house money"). That stat says it all and leaves NO doubt who the POY should be.

Nick Cole 3 years, 2 months ago

Didn't catch that T.Rob v A.Davis comparison last night. Good to know. Thanks.

Jim Dickerson 3 years, 2 months ago

I saw the same thing. Just enough of a push to make T Rob hit the back iron. Agree that these are cheap shots and the officials should watch for them more closely.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

slayr,

I believe you are really onto something about Big 12 officiating struggling to learn how to call games in the XTReme Muscle era.

The Big 12 evolved from the Big 8, a conference that historically tolerated much less contact than the Big Ten, ACC and other East Coast Ball. The SEC was in a grey area, because UK played fast and low contact, while the rest of the SEC played the game so poorly it didn't matter much how they called things.

The Big Eight was dominated by the Allen and Iba approaches, which were certainly low contact approaches to the game, relatively how it was played and officiated elsewhere. Sparky Stalcup was an Iba protege. Tex Winter came from USC and its triple post finesse game. And the lesser coaches like Walseth at CU and Cipriano at NU and Cotton Fitzsimmons brought variety, but the officiating never allowed them to turn it into physical rumbling. And Hartman's success with Okie Ball, plus Ted's success with his hybrid of Bruce Drake and Allen Ball kept the officiating from having to change drastically toward more contact, as both coasts we playing. Note: persons forget that UCLA always played a very elegant and precise version of muscle ball. Wooden talked a lot about ideal body types like Keith Wilkes, but when push came to shove, he always had a lot of studs on hand both inside and outside, but especially inside, to apply the muscle game he had learned under Ward Lambert at Purdue in his college career.

The only two guys who much headway with a more muscular style of play were Norm Stewart, who clearly decided the Big Ten was onto something that could neutralize KU's greater talent until Norm could stock his cupboards with better players, and Johnny Orr, who had been in the Big Ten at Michigan earlier. But Orr's running game, descended from Dave Strack, and farther back, probably from much farther back from Ward Lambert at Purdue, was not pure Big Ten ball of the football nature then being played at most Big Ten schools in the late 70s and 80s. Orr's teams ran, ran, ran. And they used inside muscle, when he could get it, only to bang for rebounds to start the running game. They were not really butchers on defense in the modern sense of XTReme Muscles defense today.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

And of course Larry Brown upped the athleticism and certainly didn't shy away from bulking Greg Dreiling up to push people around, but even Larry learned his game from Dean Smith and Frank McGuire, and more from Dean, who kept things relatively clean compared to the other ACC coaches, so Larry did not sharply tip the old Big Eight to XTReme Muscle.

And when the Big 12 was born, it did not change into Hamburger Hill ball over night.

The change in the Big 12 was gradual. Norm kept getting more and more physical, at least as much as the refs would allow. Tim Floyd, who coached about the most physical brand of Okie Ball up to that point, toughened up ISU, and Larry Eustachy certainly continued that trend. But to my way of thinking, Rick Barnes at Texas, Queen Snyder's arrival from Duke, and Bob Knight's arrival from exile at TTech, and Bob Huggins arrival from exile, nd then Frank Martin's ascent at KSU, seemed to tip the scales on this. These guys had credibility and reps. These guys were each committed to XTReme Muscle, each in their own ways. And with Self in the mix willing to play it any way they wanted, and having learned to muscle with Ratso Izzo at MSU in the Big Ten, well, from that point its been a runaway train to XTReme Muscle.

And while the muscle train has been barreling down the tracks to Bruiseville, the networks and conference execs have apparently been squeezing the refs to keep the games in the broadcast windows by swallowing the whistles for extended periods.

So almost from the beginning of the Big 12, officiating has been increasingly behind the curve on how rough the game has gotten.

Each time the officiating started to catch up, the game got rougher with the introduction of a new coach, or a group of news, was determined to up the ante of roughness in order to compensate for having less talent initially to try to compete with. Barnes especially brought Butcher Ball with him and because he quickly began to get a lot of talent in Austin, and because he stuck with Butcher Ball, and because Self was willing to get down in the whole that Barnes was in, as part of his play it any way they want strategy, Barnes and Self in combination have essentially drug the Big 12 game deeper and deeper into XTReme Muscle. But don't forget that Bob Knight, in trying to restart his career, and being unable to recruit remotely as well as he had at Indiana, willfully upped the muscle ball antics sharply on his own. Huggins and Martin and Sampson and Capel recently were just like throwing muscle gasoline on a muscle fire that was already raging.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

And so the Big 12 has become a three alarm XTReme Muscle Blaze pretty much out of the referees control for quite some time now.

But it was last few seasons, when Barnes and Self, having been beaten by Howland with Hack'n'Slap, and having watched Coach Consonants win a ring with XTReme Cheap Shotting, and having had to contend with first Huggo-Muggo ball and then Martin's variation on it, that Barnes and Self pretty much took the gloves off on all forms of contact.

And so here we sit, with referees that are trying to keep the lid on the basketball equivalent of an arms race, and they don't know how to put the XTReme Muscle genie back in the bottle, the networks want the spectacle and the window fitting, and the coaches seem able to exploit whatever track the refs try to go down to get back control of games.

And now the refs literally don't know how to call all the violence so that anything equitable and desirable and capable of satisfying all the agendas of all those with their claws sunk into the carcas of Big 12 basketball.

I can frankly understand the referees POV on this.

Basically, they seem to be saying, by implication, "Look, you want us to look the other way at all manner of cheap shotting to keep the game in the window, but then you want us to apply some rational standards at the ends of games, when most of the play going on at the ends of games involves all manner of rule breaking intentionally taught by coaches? Screw you. What difference does it make any more whether we allow a guy to flip a player upside down to keep the game in the window, or we allow it to happen to avoid deciding the outcome of a game down the stretch?"

We have a serious problem in college basketball now and it has to do with the stewards of the game--the gaming industry, the networks, the conference commissioners, the ADs and the coaches--going along to get along with window fitting and high contact for ratings spectacle that has generated a goose laying huge golden egg that is making all of them stinking rich.

Trouble is its also turning our basketball players into walking wounded. TRob has to wear wrapping all over his body just to keep playing. Jeff Withey gets mugged. Frankly, almost every guy on KU has played extended stretches injured because the game is so stinking rough. And it has just been a miracle that no KU player has fallen on his head, or had a retina detached, or paralyzed himself. And all of these things are coming. Luck only holds so long.

I've been saying this till I'm blue in the face: the game is out of control. The officiating does not contribute significantly to reducing violence. It contributes to uncertainty of outcome by being so ridiculously inconsistent and so wildly at odds with the rules of the game.

We need reform.

And we need it now.

Before some terrific young player is paralyzed for life.

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 2 months ago

Is it time to think of a 4 man ref team.leaving a trailer on each baseline at all times to cover the speed of breakaway runs on steals. The refs cerrtainly can't keep up with the players in this type of game.

53jayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

In my opinion, Billy Tubbs had more to do with the transition of the slower methodical ball played in the Big 8 to what is now played in the Big 12 than any of the coaches you mentioned.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

In 1988, I described Billy Tubbs' style of coaching as "Don't shoot unless you have the ball!" Before that Magical Monday Night, we went to the Royals Opening Day, and I told anybody who would listen: "Don't take the points, take the odds cuz there's now way in hell that Billy Tubbs is going to beat Larry Brown three time in one year." And that night we partied on Mt Oread.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't think that the POY pressure caused Robinson to miss the two dunks.

I think that Robinson's knee was more hurt than he and Bill were letting on. But I'm crossing my fingers and just hoping that it was just lingering soreness from the missou game and not a potentially season-altering injury like a partially torn MCL. Hopefully a couple days off and some light duty practices and he'll be 100% by Saturday.

He definitely didn't have his normal springs. There is a picture of him in the missou game where he went up to contest a shot and is inches from hitting his head on the rim.

AsadZ 3 years, 2 months ago

Towards end of the game Holly Rowe commented about HCBS talking with T-Rob about his play lately. HCBS asked T-Rob as to why he is playing so poorly and his reply was that he has too much on his mind. HCBS told him that you have earned everything, All American, Big 12 title etc (although he did not say POY) and he would not care if he does not score a single point from here on. He told him to relax and go have fun on the floor. By the way what a classic way to coach a player and this is why I have even greater respect for HCBS, his ability to communicate with players in difficult and challenging circumsatnces.

I want to make a point that T-Rob desperately wants POY award and media bias towards A Davis of UK is making him press. He is seeing this award slipping away from him and it is affecting his game.

captku 3 years, 2 months ago

I didn't like the couple of times he stepped on guys, but understand how it happens, esp when dude is trying to lock up your legs as you regain your balance. This is not all from pressing, however. I would like to see him just move around the floor wreckage and get to his position. I also think that when he completed that 3pt and-1 to take Mizzou to OT, that sealed it for him as unanimous POY. I hope I am right. Not that he needs any sympathy votes, but folks may recall his story. That said, sure I am biased, but I really don't see how anyone but him would win. If Davis wants it, let him stay another year to try to win it.

FLJHK 3 years, 2 months ago

Most impressive thing last night was just the methodical nature of the win. Certainly they were flat after the emotional, epic game on Saturday, but I loved how any time OSU threatened to make a game of it, the 'Hawks just calmly and skillfully slammed the door. They never allowed a hint that they weren't going to win the game.

Joe Baker 3 years, 2 months ago

TT just quietly played his game, worked hard and earned some respect. He's been the TT we've all waited for the last two years.

Congrats Jhawks. You earned this one plain and simple.

In TT's defense, there were a lot of moving screens, knees and hips bumping him. They called the one on Juric and I saw a lot of them moving on that high screen to free Paige. Oh well, it's no big deal.

The moving screen is one call you rarely hear. I've heard them get KU on a few occasions and rightly so in most cases. I see many teams lean out when KU fights around it to stay with their man. The refs turned a blind eye most times. There were a lot of fouls on KU on the D-end last night as result of KU fighting around screens. It's hard to get around a moving screen unless you grab or push through the screen.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach of the Year, Player of the Year. (knock on wood)

SDSurferFan 3 years, 2 months ago

Highly entertaining for me.

• dunks. I can't help but think Juricks lasting memory of his Senior Night will be looking up to see 'hawk after 'hawk throw down on him.
  • TT. Leadership. Great to see how much each game means to him and how much of a leader he has become. Great example what 4 years of college at KU can do for a player.
  • ESPN had a shot of TT and TO after the game hugging/smiling/elated...TT holding up 8 fingers. Still shot needs to find its way in AFH. Special team and players.
  • 8 in a row. Is the record 12 by UCLA? Gonazaga just ended at 11. Remarkable.
  • What are they going to name after Self at KU?
  • Rest. I hope the team gets some. Mizzou game, last night, Sr night, conf trmnt,...lots of energy spent winning.....need energy for mid-March.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

That's an interesting question you pose about Self. First though, pretty interesting race out in the Mountain West between New Mexico, SDSU, and UNLV. Just when I think New Mexico may be the best of the bunch they go and lose two straight after beating SDSU and UNLV. Either way, all 3 are going to be tough outs come March and I'm not sure I want Kansas playing any of them. You know Steve Fischer is still a little upset about the KY incidnt.

As for Self, what would you name after him? You know Self wants a second Championship really bad. That puts him all alone in the Kansas history books and that puts him in special company nationally. If Self should get #2...............what do you name after him?

1) Bill Self Banner Row-Put it above the Championship Banners

2) Self's Ceiling

3) Self Scoreboard-Bill Self Scoreboard

4) Self's Championship Hall=====Where the Hall of Fame sits---Is it called Booth Hall now or something like that?

5) Bill Self Hall of Fame

6) Name the goals after him-Bill Self Basketball Goals

7) Statue out front-I can't remember-----Are there any statues out in front of AFH right now? It's been almost 12 years since I've been to AFH for a game (Waiting for my son to get old enough so we can start making annual trips--I want us both to experience that goosebump feeling together)

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

BigManU, Shame! Shame! Shame on you! How could you forget the larger than life statue of Phog Allen that's prominently displayed in front of Allen Field House? I've not attended a game at AFH since 1975, but I remember that!

May The Phog haunt you in your dreams tonight.

Say 8 Hail Mary's and kowtow to every player on this season's team, acknowledging your forgetfulness.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, It's been a long time and I never really paid much attention to the outside of the fieldhouse.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the reply...

Love my Aztecs but I see the others going much deeper. The league is brutal.

Interesting takes on Self....

How many conf titles did Roy win?

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

How about naming the Big 12 trophy after him since Self owns it anyway.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

The Bill Self Wall of Champions.

Either where the banners hang, or where the jersey's hang.

I would prefer where the jersey's hang.

And I would like to see Self's Okie State jersey hanging up their with a blue sash across it and a red K.

He is the man that fused the two greatest traditions of college basketball coaching.

I would like to remember him that way always.

53jayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Jurick (sp?) is not a senior, and I would be willing to bet his "lasting memory" of last night's game would be the dunk he had over T-Rob or the 2 blocked shots he had on T-Rob when T-Rob looked to have a clear opening to the rim.

Page Butler 3 years, 2 months ago

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to throw this out there. When I was thinking about how Naadir has seemed a bit overwhelmed in his freshman campaign this phrase came to mind. He is like Naadir in the headlights.

WilburNether 3 years, 2 months ago

Watching Taylor chasing Page was reminiscent of watching Haase chasing Randy Rutherford through one screen after another, on the day Rutherford got 42. Almost every screen was a moving screen, but the only one the idiot, incompetent refs called was when Big Country stepped into Haase on the south baseline and knocked him into about the third row.

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of 42. I recall a Craig Brackins going for 42 at the Hilton against Sherron, Cole, and company. Some guys are just feeling it.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I can't even remember all their name but all the bench players who rarely or never get playing time should be congratulated as well. Their hard work in making practices relevant and demanding have contributed to the Jayhawks success this year. Getting an 8th straight is truly a monumental effort, and everybody involved has earned bragging rights. Team basketball is terrific to watch and we should never forget all the contributors.

Bill Self: Getting better at getting better and making those around him better.

If Frank Haith gets COY, I might go crazy. (-ier)

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

No idea if it has any impact on who actually wins the award, but scroll down and vote for TRob as POY.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Mahalo, hawkinator. I thought the CBS poll had ended about a week ago, but obviously it didn't. (Over 27,000 votes cast, so far.)

TRob's still behind Davis by a few percentage points so keep sending in your support.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Big 12 Champs! Good post game speech! Self dances............................

lv_jhwk 3 years, 2 months ago

Man, I've been in high school gyms that have better locker rooms for the visiting team! Makes me wonder what those in AFH look like.

Bill Anthony 3 years, 2 months ago

BigMan, Thanks for that link. What fun. What a great motivator Coach Self is.

flyingfinn 3 years, 2 months ago

We always taught our boys to share.....but not when it comes to conference championships and especailly not when it is with Mizzery. Way to go Hawks now have great Senior Night, get a big lead early so all can play and enjoy it then kick Tiger a$$ in the tourney.

dtdjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

A mighty congratulations to all the players and coaches on an 8th straight conference title!! ROCK CHALK!!!

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

One quick question: What result would you have liked better:

1. Beating MU by 1 point in overtime, coming back from 19 points down, in a game that will be a classic for all.

2. Beating MU's best team in a generation by 30 points and sending them to the SEC thoroughly humiliated, in a game that will be a classic, mostly for Jayhawk fans.

I am personally undecided...

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 2 months ago

Uh. Number 2 I don't see how any real Jayhawk fan would choose anything else. There's still a chance for that scenario to play out at the Sprint Center ;)

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

+1 Send MU to SEC purgatory - humiliated and annihilated. Stripes turned to spots. Tail between their legs. Meowing like scared pussycats.

Better question: Would it be better if MU lost in their first game in the Big 12 Tourney (really sending them away embarrassed), or to have a rematch finale - Kansas vs Mizzery?

Now that one I'm personally undecided on.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

UncleMiltyN - I'm a real Jayhawk fan - and there is no way that a 30 point drubbing hurts as bad as having the victory SEALED and then watching it slowly slip away from you. And clear up until the VERY LAST SECOND you still think you have a chance to win.

Oh - the agony of that will stay with them and their "fans" for a long, long time.

A 30 point blowout is psychologically over probably before halftime. The fans have left, the wind is out of your sails.

To me, this was the best possible scenario. Suck it Mizzou.

But I mean that in the nicest possibly way.....

april28 3 years, 2 months ago

MU's best team in a generation can't even win the conference. Pathetic.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't know...having them come so close only to yank it away from them -epic meltdown, epic game- looks pretty good to me. As played, the game will be among the classic college BBall games of all time. A beat down would be forgotten (except by KU fans) in a few years.

dw3c 3 years, 2 months ago

2 and it's not even close, but I will say I have truly enjoyed listening to mizzou fans cry for the last 3 days

thediesel 3 years, 2 months ago

I prefer the ripping the heart out of Mizzloz fans at the last and for them to have the memory of a 19 point meltdown and the karma of the interesting ref calls to take them into the cellar of the sec next year.

nb4ku 3 years, 2 months ago

2 for me and to be honest, that's what I believed was going to happen before the game started.

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

I think the way the game went on Saturday was just fine.

theend 3 years, 2 months ago

2 for sure......#1 was nice since it got their hopes up only to be crushed.....but i would always choose the blowout......much more satisfying.

theend 3 years, 2 months ago

No, loser......the only people to thank are our players,coaches and fans. As in every year......KU EARNED the Big 12 title.

Jealousy is a tough pill to swallow.....I think it's hilarious that MU never won a single Big 12 title.....not even close.

I couldn't care less about MU leaving.

Get off this board. You're pathetic.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 2 months ago

We will try our best to muddle through somehow without Mizzou. And, I hate to brings facts (and especially math) into disscussion with a Mizzou fan, but even if you had beaten K-State, we would have clinched a tie last night by the victory over OSU. The victory in AFH over Texas on March would have given Kansas the title outright by one game. However, back to reality. K-State did beat you. We beat you. It was a great game. You guys were up by like 19-points and with second left on the clock were driving for the winning basket. POY Thomas Robinson blocked the shot and the game went into overtime. We won in OT! Did you DVR the game? I bet it's on YouTube. Good luck in your SEcond Choice league. Go Tigers! (LSU and Auburn, of course)

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

Common missouricat, you're better than this half-hearted display of passive aggressiveness.

You know how the conference race works. "Nobody" does it on their own, unless they go undefeated.

You have your doubts about the Big XII, and we have our doubts about the Tigers performance in the SEC. Only time will tell...

theend 3 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking that too.....this clown is very passive aggressive.

april28 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually....he doesn't know how it works. They've never won a title....virgin territory.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 2 months ago

"Guess you can thank Kansas ST. for your big 12 title as it seems that you couldn't have done it on your own."

Maybe you didn't get the memo. We won 8 straight. We have done it on our own, year in and year out.

And you're missing an "s" on the end of "titles".

dhinkansas 3 years, 2 months ago

I think your team blew a big lead. Thanks ksu? I didn't see Martin anyhere on the sidelines. Have fun in the SEC. By the way, your coach isn't out of the woods yet with the Miami booster scandal. Hope that works out well for you guys...insert Quin Snyder here.

3 years, 2 months ago

Other than the epic 19-point come-from-ahead-loss on Saturday, I think I found why missouricat has been in a little cranky the past few days. It seems he may have ran into a little legal trouble late last week:

“Meth bust, guns and a dog attack at Missouri scooter shop”

I hope that he can at least use the $2,700 that he “won” recently on KU games to cover his bail and replace his attack dog :^)

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Now, what did I tell you the other day? You are not relevant any longer and need to retreat to your own school's site.

There is obviously some sort of pleasure that you get from coming on our site to communicate with us rather than with your own kind. All I can figure is there is some sort of Jayhawkenvy going on with you.

As I said earlier to you, when you've won either an SEC or National championship, you can come back here and then we'll talk to you. Until then, bye, bye!

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I want to congratulate this team. Wow! What a season it's been so far! It's no surprise when many of us just mention how we had our doubts at the start of the season. We all thought it was a down year, but wow! Who knew? Only those men wearing those uniforms. They knew! Eighth Big 12 conference title! Now, I know. We're all a bit spoiled and care only more about our NCAA tourney finish. Here are some things to continue to work on. We can work around our flaws (lack of depth and spotty three point shooting) and strengthen some other areas.

1. Free throws

According to ESPN stats, we're looking at a .694 average free throw percentage. To put that into perspective, we're better than last year's team as they finished with a .679 percentage. I know we still have a lot of games to go, but it'd be nice to see this stat improve. We don't want to be left with that feeling of disgust when we only made 15 of 28 at the line against VCU. Also, to compare with previous teams, the 07-08 Jayhawks had a .702 overall percentage. So, one could say we're right where we should be, but if you look at other championship caliber teams, Butler had .738 and .736 for those 2 years they made it to the finals. Conn had .763 overall when they won and Duke had .755 the year they won. You get the jist. I know it takes more than free throws to win a championship, but they're called free for a reason and every point counts. If we had missed a couple of FTs last Saturday, you'd be seeing a lot more negative posters on here right now.

joshar 3 years, 2 months ago

This team has changed so much over the year. In the last three games, they averaged 8 turnovers. Taylor alone has changed on that part of his game by rarely getting to four turnovers a game. To think, he got 11 turnovers against Duke and the team had 22 against Long Beach State. Shows how much they have improved this season.

I'm proud of this team, as I am every year. It's just great to watch a team change and improve through the course of the year. And it's really great to be a Jayhawk and proud to say that we won our 8th consecutive Conference Title. I hope it doesn't stop there.

To end on this note, it is great to watch Jack Harry eat his own words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6obA...

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

Bill Self more Big12 Conference titles than home loses at KU.

8 vs 7

joshar 3 years, 2 months ago

True, that is a very good stat to show the impressive job Bill Self is doing at Kansas.

lurkerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

1. Rebounds

T-Rob is a beast on the boards. We've been doing well so far with 37/game and out rebounding our opponents except we were out-rebounded last Saturday by a couple rebounds. If we're to make it far into the tourney, then Withey has got to stay out of foul trouble so he can help out TRob with boards; and, not to mention, him remaining a force on the defensive end. We will need to have Releford, EJ, Teahan, and Kevin to contribute with boards when either TRob or Withey has an off night.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Eight straight Big 12 regular-season titles...what an achievement for this squad! Congrats! Bill Self & Co. continue to go above and beyond.

For everyone that said Big 12 titles were meaningless before this season started (you know, during all the recruiting buzz): What tune are you singing now? KU is in the position to be a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney because of this title. Winning the conference is huge every year. I know, winning the NCAA tourney is far better. But it's like Self says, winning a NC starts with winning your conference. If you don't do that, you aren't in any shape to win it all. And Bill Self wins it every year. Just remember that next time you are about to bash Self for not landing all the recruits you want.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

I think the 2011-2012 Jayhwaks redefined the term " Building Year."

If by "Building" it means a team growing stronger week after week, building momentum, excitement, victories, rankings, nationwide recognition, shock and awe, then, yeah...I guess "building " applies.

If by "Year" it means a time of exceptional accomplishment i.e. #3 ranking, 8 consecutive titles, potential Player of the Year and All-American, potential Coach of the Year, Potential 3 NBA players, then, yeah.....I guess "year" applies.

At Kansas, we go by a different dictionary...we don't rebuild...we don't reload....we just never stop firing!!!!!!

theend 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes Oakville!! Well said. It's amazing.

theend 3 years, 2 months ago

I just saw that Mario Little has been playing overseas in Ukraine. I was glad to see that....I hoped he would. Despite his trouble.....he seemed like a really good kid.

Apparently he is playing pretty well, too.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

I'd be interested in a "Jayhawks Overseas" column every once and awhile... we get the "Jayhawks in the NBA" updates; but we've got quite a few great players overseas these days who I'd love to hear more about.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 2 months ago

God, that's awesome! Self is damn good dancer!

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

MY Big12 end of year awards.

POY. Thomas Robinson

New comer of the year. Royce White of ISU

Coach of the year. Fred Hoiberg, second Self, third Martin. Haith 4th, come on not one of his recruits plays.

Defender of the year. Jeff Whithey

6th man. Marcus Denmon

Freshman of the year. Le'Bryan Nash

First team: Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson KU. Keiton Page OSU, J'Covan Brown TX, Ricardo Ratliffe MU,

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

Dixon is Missouri's 6th man, not Denmon.

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

Other stuff, I think Self is going to win COY, but Hoiberg definitely deserves major consideration for it.

My first team would be Tyshawn, T-Rob, Marcus Denmon, J'Covan Brown, and Ricardo Ratliffe.

My second team would be Keiton Page, Steven Pledger, Rodney McGruder, Royce White, and Kim English.

I think Withey makes the honorable mention Big 12 team this year is preseason second team next year.

treed14ku 3 years, 2 months ago

I can't stand Mizzou, but its ridiculous that neither of you have Dixon on either the second or first team. He is a much better player than someone like Keiton Page. Self is def the coach of the year too.

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

Dixon is going to end up being honorable mention Big 12 this year.

Kye Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope J'Covan Brown isn't first team. He doesn't deserve it. Much like LaceDarius Dunn never deserved it. Both volume shooters - prolific scorers but usually only when they get 20 shots or so.

My first team:

Tyshawn, TRob, Denmon, Royce White, hmm...I suppose Ratliffe maybe.

Put J'Covan on the second team, and in no particular order fill the remaining 9 spots between 2nd team and honorable mention with the following: English, Dixon, Phil Pressey, Pledger, McGruder, Page, Jones III, Pierre Jackson, & Withey

Funny how Misery can put 5 guys on those lists and still finish 2 games behind us for the conference crown.

danmoore 3 years, 2 months ago

As the story said, this team is tired and that concerns me. Can't bode well in a tournament that requires 3 consecutive games or 2 games in 3 days.

treed14ku 3 years, 2 months ago

They were tired b/c they had just completed an emotionally, physically & mentally tough game/weekend against their rival that went into OT & had to turn around & play on the road two days later. Every team in the country would be somewhat tired from that. It's okay b/c we don't have a game until Saturday & then won't play until next Thursday in the Big 12 tournament. Which means KU will play one game in a 10 day stretch. Plenty of time to recover. I def think Self should keep practice light in order to really allow for recovery. Once you get to March, everyone is tired. Personally, I trust Taylor/T-Rob to have more inner-strength/energy to will them to the finish than the players on the other squads.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that the NCAA Committee is just waiting for Kansas to make any kind of slip that would allow them to justify putting Puke and Munchkinland State in as the other #1 seeds.

I am afraid we will have to beat Texas [not a big deal] and win the Tourney [a much bigger deal] to hold onto that #1 seed.

At least the tourney ends on a Saturday and, likely, we wouldn't have a first round game till the next Friday.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Oakville, I'm actually hoping that we get a #2 seed. I want this team to play with a chip on their shoulders.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 2 months ago

Best case scenario ... I agree with Farside .. Michigan St. the #1 and KU #2 in St. Louis.

Southeast in Atlanta with Kentucky and Marquette. Syracuse in the East with North Carolina. Duke out west with MU, in Phoenix.

I would rather get snubbed and get the #2 in the right regional.

fansincewilt 3 years, 2 months ago

Anyone getting tired of the talk about Robinson's block? These commentators like Knight just have no idea. I think that block was bigger than Chalmer's three. Can you imagine allowing MU to come in here and win the final game of the border war? Someone needs to write an epic story about that block. I know it doesn't begin to make up for the burning in Lawrence where real lives were lost but that block did something for me. Somehow I want a picture of that block with that look on Robinson's face. When I saw that block I could see a blow being dealt to Quantrill and his raiders. The Missouri Tigers had nothing to do with that day but kids who have been sitting in KS history classes for the past century have been hearing about bleeding Kansas. That block needs to be put in those KS history books. I don't know about anyone else but it certainly makes me feel a little better. When Self let out that roar last Saturday, little did he know he was roaring for an entire state. Here's one guy that went to bed that night feeling pretty good. A win for MU wouldn't mean nearly as much as it meant for bleeding Kansas. Robinson, that block is one of the biggest things that has ever happened in the great state of KS history. It saved us from the final defeat.

Phoghorn 3 years, 2 months ago

Priceless! http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/mizzou-was-jobbed-at-ku/article_c2e20aee-e8e3-5512-98d3-915860a7cf86.html

Okay, so MU got some questionable calls in Columbia, KU got some questionable calls in Lawrence. Can we all just get along (and call it a wash)?

JayHok 3 years, 2 months ago

Will nobody in the national press take a look at the phantom fouls on Withey and Robinson in the first half at Allen Fieldhouse that put them on the bench.

Goes from a tie game to down 12. If the national press could wrap their head around our two top defenders and rebounders being forced to the bench they might see that Self runs away with it in the 2nd half. Would have been a 20 point blowout.

hawksince51 3 years, 2 months ago

Just saw Self on ESPN PTI and of course they brought up the block and called it a foul. Self was a little too gracious in admitting there was lower body contact, did not mention the phantom calls, but did point out that MU might have gotten some calls in their favor in Columbia.

hawksince51 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't think I did anything to post this twice.

JayHok 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Hawksince51. Since most of the MU community is admitting that KU got jobbed in Columbia this is a good twist. The thing is MU didn't get jobbed in Lawrence considering the phantom calls which had our 2 best defenders on the bench. That's at least a 12 point swing to end the half if not a 22 point swing.

Any KU fan who has the ability to put the video of those Robinson and Withey first half phantom fouls online would help our cause on this.

We need one national commentator to get it. Self has too much class to go there, but really that turned from a tie game to a 12 point deficit in no time.

Why isn't that being discussed. Some diehard video guru Jayhawk please get the videos online and Jayhawk fans can twitter the link to the national talking heads and force them to discuss it.

Fair is fair. How much does Robinson's block matter if we're beating them by 20.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 2 months ago

I like this one too haha... Not that I agree with it, but vivid descriptions of "a heartbroken state" are so sweet I might become diabetic.

3 years, 2 months ago

"Arrrrrrrggggh," Sunvold groaned. "I know it was a great game, but ohhhh man, I really do hate those bleeepin' Jayhawks." And that, folks, was the Mizzou in Sundvold talking, an eloquently coarse lament that may have echoed the exact sentiments of an entire heart-broken state.

Awww, come on Jon! Seeing how I like you as a broadcaster, and the fact that you seem like a pretty cool guy, it truly hurts to hear you talk about us like that :^)

danmoore 3 years, 2 months ago

And yet they want to continue the rivarly? If it were me I would be thankful that such a lopsided series has come to an end.

IBRONNIEB 3 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm just one of many. But I just wanted to say, what a fantastic season this has been, so far. Watching a team grow, and become stronger, and stronger, and a coach prove so many people wrong. And watching a player who has been slammed, and told he was not worthy of his position, eventually shut his critics up! And in my humble opinion, become an All American. Although totally frustrated by him, at times, I believe our coach knew this was coming. And to (T.Rob) The big man in the middle: I know you carry a pretty big load on your shoulders, every day, and you show so much heart. Dam you make me proud to be a Jayhawk fan! Thank you to this whole team, you are true champions! RCJH!

KansasComet 3 years, 2 months ago

Anthony Davis is not the best player on Kentucky's team. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is. Thomas Robinson is the best player on the Kansas Jayhawks. The answer for player of the year is Thomas Robinson, but the "Talking Heads" do not want to give it to him. Reminds me of the year when Michael Beasley was much better than Hansbrough, but Tyler was the media darling. Robinson is the man. He makes our team go. Tyshawn Taylor is the Big XII player of the year. He really brought it during the conference season. Another great job coaching by Bill Self, but it will be hard for him to win Coach of the Year, because of the standards that he has set at Kansas.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Change of subject - Rivals.com under the topic "Moving In", lists 10 recruits they predict will soon be included in their top 150 for 2012. KU commit, Anrio Adams, whom they say has had a very good senior season, is one of the 10 they name. Previously, Adams was listed on Rivals, but was dropped because it was undecided which year he would graduate.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 2 months ago

BigManU - "3) Withey's toss to the official out of bounds on the 1-1 FT was pretty hilarious. Oops!"

Did you notice that NO ONE moved from their positions on the lane? Everyone thought it was a two shot foul.

Darin Bradley 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes. No player moved until the ref pulled away from Jeff, then Page made a move. Very funny sequence of events! Thank god they didn't show it on SportsCenter

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

And yet another change in subject. Why did the conference let MU and A&M leave paying so little? http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7626832/big-12-imposes-missouri-tigers-texas-aggies-exit-buyout-1241-million I would have thought that $20 million would be more likely...

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

Indiana 70 - Michigan State 55 No way MSU gets a number 1 seed now.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Saw that. KU just needs to win vs Texas, and win at least one, maybe 2 in Big 12 tourney to seal #1 seal.

hawksince51 3 years, 2 months ago

I realy hated losing the MU game in Columbia especially since it was due to a combo of our blowing it and bad calls. But I have hated losing to MU every game, every sport for some 60 year. The ones we should have won are always the hardest to get over. There is no changing that we lost that early Feb. game. But the fact that MU's losing Saturday was a far bigger blowing of a game they thought they had won, and yes, a controversial call, goes a long way towards making me forget about the loss in Columbia. Now let's get them one last time in the Conference Tourney!! Unless KSU beats them first.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 2 months ago

I actually don't want a #1 seed, but in case we do... How many is that in a row? Is there a record for such a thing? How many has Bill had at KU? It seems like every year!

Assuming we make it to the Elite 8, who don't we want to see? I'd say: 1. UK 2. Syracuse 3. UNC 4. Duke 5. Ohio St. 6. Mizzery Since UK and Syracuse are locks, I'm thinking Duke, UNC, or Ohio St. will be in our bracket. I wish Murray St. was still undefeated!

KULA 3 years, 2 months ago

I'd love to play Duke in a regional and Syracuse and UK in the Final Four.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 2 months ago

I want Syracuse back in the Super Dome. I went to KC, NOLA and SAT to watch the Monday night game of the Final Four. I left NOLA after watching Kansas and 'Cuse in the 'I don't give a BLANK about North Carolina' Game disappointed. If we could play Wichita State in the Championship play-in game in NOLA (Battle of New Orleans II), that would be okay too. Two revenge games with two wins and another Championship.

Glenn Moore Jr 3 years, 2 months ago

has anybody heard anything from the recruits that was in the building at the MU game? their thoughts on the game is the atmosphere was enough to help them make a decision??