Sunday, February 26, 2012

Michigan defensive end Neal Page commits to KU football

Neal Page, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound senior from Seaholm High School in Birmingham, Mich., has orally committed to the Kansas football team, Rivals.com is reporting.

Page, a defensive end, took an official visit to KU with his family beginning Friday.

"The coaching staff was phenomenal and the campus was beautiful," Page told JayhawkSlant.com. "The facilities are the nicest, or at least among the nicest I have seen. I have been to a lot of places. It seems like a great place to live."

Page was offered a scholarship by KU earlier in the month. He also had taken a visit to Illinois.

The senior told Rivals.com that he planned on sending in his official letter-of-intent to KU on Sunday night.

While at Seaholm, Page set school records in tackles for a loss, tackles by a defensive lineman, and quarterback pressures. He also finished third in school history with 20.5 sacks.

Comments

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice grab for HCCW.

Welcome to the family Page.

Rock Chalk!

gardenjay 2 years, 6 months ago

We're kind of focused on basketball right now. Apologize in advance for the dearth of comments for such a worthy recruit. Back to the B Ball

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

Weight room-Training Table-Weight Room-Training Table-Weight Room-Training Table

Damian Glaze 2 years, 6 months ago

Or work on his speed quickness and lateral movement and convert him an outside linebacker.

april28 2 years, 6 months ago

Pretty good weekend for KU all-around. The kid from Basehor, then the "comeback", and now Mr. Page. Good things do come in threes I guess!

Nice to hear the comments about the facilities, the campus and the staff. Great to pick-up more defensive talent. Welcome to Larryville!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

We've been so focused on the greatest regular season basketball game ever and the basketball recruits were in the house, forgot to find out the football recruits that were in the house.

I'm assuming that this guy attending the basketball game, if so at least one more great thing happened this weekend. Let's hope there are a few more football players.

flyingfinn 2 years, 6 months ago

Like his height, now as ahper says, time to pack on 35 to 40 pounds of muscle. The young man is right it is a beautiful campus

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 6 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence Neal. Great time to be a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk!!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

6-5 & 220----nice! Lord, we need pressure on the QB. Nice football news after one of the best basketball games at AFH this past Saturday. It is great time to be a Jayhawk!

BigXIIForever 2 years, 6 months ago

Build reminds me of some guy named Charlton Keith. Not too worried about the weight.

JamesA 2 years, 6 months ago

I too was thinking of Charlton Keith while reading the build.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I loved Charleton Keith. Didn't he snag an interception near the ten and somersault into the end zone for a acrobatic touchdown?

cobweb 2 years, 6 months ago

Good choice. Wait until you see the KU "talent", Neal.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 6 months ago

Very nice. Does anyone know what he was rated as by Rivals ?

Good to see us get some more bodies on the D-Line. Let's get a few more quality D-Line guys and maybe this team will be able to compete in the coming years.

For this team, it's all about getting quality talent and depth on the D-Line.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

And as we all probably agree, the star rating is of minimal importance. How bout all those twos who started on the Orange Bowl team. Talib was a 2, and i think so was that wonderfully huge offensive guard nicknamed "Momma's Gotta Eat," who is eating quite well at the moment on an NFL salary.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

TheSychophant...

Stars are certainly not an exact science but they are nice indicators for most teams. We have not gotten a lot of production out of our 4 star guys recently (J. Crawford, N. D'Cuhuna, P. Kande, A. Webb, Q. Woods to name a few) but a team made out of 3-4-5 star players usually beats teams made out of 2-3 start players.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

ESPN had him as a 3-Star...Somewhere between a 77 and 76. I believe on their rating 79-75 is a 3-Star, but really don't know how that works.

on ESPN they talk that he is quick and gets off of blocks fast; however, he struggles with some of his technique. Of course he is undersized as well, but hopefully we can put some weight on him, but another concern is that they aren't sure his frame will be able to handle the weight, we'll see...I'm always happy to see DE on the recruiting list.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a great addition for us!

I loved him in Planes, Trains and Automobiles as well.

tis4tim 2 years, 6 months ago

lol!

But, you know, nuleaf, everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet [nuleafjhawk], he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with [nuleafjhawk]. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

tis4tim -

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

I liked your comments and anecdotes. I don't think tis4tim doesn't appreciate your humor. Here is the solution. nuleaf keep posting. tis4tim quit reading nuleaf's posts. There, all is right in the world again.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow Lonestar, did the breeze as that joke flew over your head ruffle your hair? tis4tim and nuleafjhawk just engaged in a classic scene from the movie (P, T & A) in which Neal and Dell are fighting.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

hey - that's ok !! it was nice to have someone stand up for me!! lol

JJHAWK 2 years, 6 months ago

nuleaf - I hate to mention this, but he was sitting when he typed that. .. .. .. LOL

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 6 months ago

Thought the exact same thing... Those aren't pillows!

2 years, 6 months ago

How 'bout those Bears!

kerbyd 2 years, 6 months ago

One of the few things I did not like about P,T and A was the way they made fun of Wichita. What I thougt was really ironic was they did not think Wichita was ugly enough so they had to use another city in it's place. That place was.....you guessed it. Columbia, MO!!!!!!!

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

Good to see us recruiting kids from all over the country, and not just limiting ourselves to Texas. Also good to see us signing more D linemen. We've been so think at those positions for so long, surely a few of these guys will pan out.

KU79 2 years, 6 months ago

When I got my email from Scout saying we had a new commit, I thought it was probably (and was hoping) it was one of the basketball recruits that were here over the weekend. But we desperately need good DE's, so I'm happy we got this kid. Welcome to Mt. Oread, Mr. Page. Btw, I remember another "Mr. Page" that played at KU in the early 70's...Kenny Page. A mean middle linebacker from Dodge City.

KU79 2 years, 6 months ago

When I got the email from Scout saying we had a new commit, I thought it was probably (and was hoping) it was one of the basketball recruits that were here over the weekend. But we desperately need good DE's, so I'm happy we got this kid. Welcome to Mt. Oread, Mr. Page. Btw, I remember another "Mr. Page" that played at KU in the early 70's...Kenny Page. A mean middle linebacker from Dodge City.

KU79 2 years, 6 months ago

KU79 2 years, 6 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

KU79 apparently posted one comment for each cup of coffee he had this morning.

april28 2 years, 6 months ago

I think that his was the first quad in kusports.com history. I give it a 5.8

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years, 6 months ago

Any word on Steven Johnson in the NFL Combine?

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Linebackers and D-line go today.

vd 2 years, 6 months ago

We beat out Toledo and other football powerhouses from the MAC. If we can just pick up some second teamers from KSU, Mu and NU, we will be a major force in the future.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree that we need to up our recruiting in the coming years but this class is a success in my mind given the circumstances.

Name a coach who can do any better with a couple months to recruit... Don't judge Weis until he has a year.

barackchalkjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

vd = wet-blanket. Literally I suppose, not experienced with it.

bville_hawk 2 years, 6 months ago

"vd = wet-blanket"

I always thought vd = venereal disease

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

keithii, you can track "Steve" Johnson here. Wonder if that is a typo or if he's going by Steve now.

It gives a pretty good breakdown of his pros and cons for the next level. They have him as a possible Mr. Irrelevant, walking the 7th rd./free agent line. So far he's only done the bench. 16 reps.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Can you all imagine if Jaybate "quad-posted"!!!

Posted for fun, "JB"......no malice or even any meanness intended.