Kansas defeats Missouri, 87-86

• Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kansas claims epic win in Border War finale

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson and Conner Teahan

KU players Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson and Conner Teahan talk about the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Missouri

Box score

Thrusting his arms into the air while peering into the Allen Fieldhouse stands, Bill Self let out a primal scream as the final horn sounded in Kansas University’s 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Saturday afternoon.

“I’m not the most emotional guy, but that’s as good as it gets. It’s as exciting of a game as I’ve ever been part of. It’s the best home win I can remember us having,” Self, KU’s ninth-year basketball coach, said after his Jayhawks successfully completed a comeback from a 19-point deficit — the largest second-half deficit overcome in program history.

“Playing Missouri does mean something. It means something to me. But to me, it wasn’t about this being the last time we played (with MU moving to SEC next season). To me, it’s about our team winning its eighth-straight championship. For this team to come as far as it has, winning that eighth straight ... these guys committed to it. They’ve amazed me.”

The Jayhawks, who trailed, 58-39, with 16:20 left, avenged a 74-71 loss to the Tigers on Feb. 4 in Columbia, Mo. — a game in which KU blew an eight-point lead in the final two minutes. In doing so, KU (24-5) improved to 14-2 in the Big 12 with two games to play. Second-place MU (25-4) dropped to 12-4, meaning the Tigers can do no better than tie KU for the crown if they win out and the Jayhawks lose Monday at Oklahoma State and Saturday at home against Texas.

“We’ve got eight of those things now,” KU senior guard Tyshawn Taylor said of Big 12 championship trophies. The 2011-12 hardware will be delivered by the league office to KU at a later date per Self’s wishes.

“That’s what we play our season for. After every huddle, every timeout, we yell, ‘Big 12 champions.’ We got that today. It feels good,” added Taylor, who scored 24 points, including nine of KU’s 12 points in overtime.

His two free throws with 8.6 seconds left in OT erased an 86-85 deficit. Remember: He missed two down the stretch in the meltdown loss at MU.

“I talked to one of my best friends after the last game, and he told me, ‘Next time you see them, you’re going to be in a bigger situation and a bigger stage, and it’s going to mean more.’ He was absolutely right,” Taylor said. “It was the same team again, and I came through this time. I’m actually glad I got to shoot those free throws. And I knocked them down.”

“For him to make the two free throws in the same scenario as he missed them in Columbia ... I thought that was great,” Self said of Taylor, who opened OT with a three. “How poised was he down the stretch? He made every play.”

MU had a chance to win after Taylor’s two free throws, but the Tigers’ final possession didn’t even result in a shot.

Michael Dixon dribbled slowly down court, then after heading left near the top of the key, dished to Marcus Denmon (28 points), who was unable to launch a long-range shot before the final horn.

Yes, the clock expired, and defender Travis Releford ripped off his jersey and stood on the scorer’s table as the fieldhouse crowd roared at perhaps an all-time decibel level.

“That reminded me a little of Davidson,” Self said of the final possession of KU’s 59-57 victory over Davidson in the 2008 Elite Eight. Davidson launched a wild, off-balance three at the buzzer that had little chance of going in. “We did a good job. They never got the ball in scoring position.”

It was junior forward Thomas Robinson (28 points, 12 rebounds) who saved the day in regulation.

First, he hit an inside shot, and free throw (following a foul by Dixon) with 16.1 seconds left, erasing MU’s 75-72 lead.

“I just knew I had to get the ball off the glass, and that is all I tried to do,” Robinson said. “He (Dixon) walked up from under me at the last second.”

On the other end, Robinson skied to block a driving layup try of Phil Pressey with :02 left. That block assured overtime for KU and sent the crowd into a frenzy.

“I think I had my eyes closed actually, to be honest with you,” Robinson said.

Noted Self: “Thomas came from guarding the corner all the way over. That was a big-time play by a big-time player.”

Robinson, who like Jeff Withey had two first-half fouls, sat out the final 4 1/2 minutes of the first half, MU’s lead going from two points to 12 (44-32) by halftime, a lead that grew to 19 the second half.

“We were awful,” Self said. “We played so poorly. I thought we played tight, not to lose. I thought we got caught up in the emotion of the game. We played to protect it as opposed to go take. We were getting our butts handed to us. I knew something had to happen real fast or it was going to end sad. We did a much better job late. One thing as a coach ... you are down 19, and guys made plays. We showed some toughness making plays against a team that was on fire.”

The 19-point comeback win tied for largest comeback in a KU home victory. KU trailed UCLA by 19 in the first half of a 85-70 win on Dec. 1, 1995. The biggest comeback in school history was from 22 down against Texas in a March 11, 2007, Big 12 tourney title game (an 88-84 overtime victory).

“It coudn’t have been scripted better for us,” Self said.

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 8 p.m. Monday in Stillwater, Okla.

Comments

yates33333 3 years, 5 months ago

+1 Well, anyway I like and respect you!!!

Cmill1221 3 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know where I can watch the replay online. I just left work today without telling my boss at half time b/c I couldn't take it anymore (100% worth it tho) Then the DVR got screwed up. I want to watch the whole game and all of its glory. Any one know?

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Good luck. Let us know if you do find a full game copy. Because the UCLA vs Arizona game ran long, and cut off the first 4 1/2 to 5 minutes of the game on CBS. It would be great if KU would make a DVD of the game, post game interviews and all.

pjseele 3 years, 5 months ago

The entire game was shown in Raytown Mo on Direct tv as well

KUbsee69 3 years, 5 months ago

The whole game was shown in the Kansas City area. That's the price you pay for living in paradise :)

s6u6r6f 3 years, 5 months ago

The local feed off AFRTS had the whole game in Saipan; they cut away from the Pac 10 in time for the tip. You've just got to move paradise farther west.

gongs4ku 3 years, 5 months ago

I'd like to find a copy too. Not because I missed any of it; I'd just like to watch it over and over. :)

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

DVR'd and DVD'd all of it except the first 40 seconds. Be happy to share it with anybod who wants a copy

RockChalk26 3 years, 5 months ago

That would be awesome. I'd take one for sure. I was so excited for the game that I forgot to set my DVR.

Feifmasterflex 3 years, 5 months ago

It would be great if I could get a copy, I live in Arkansas and had to work, so no chance to watch the replay. Thanks

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

message me your address and I'll send you a copy...or I work in KC and can drop it somewhere convenient.

Kansan_in_CA 3 years, 5 months ago

Is that a real possibility. Some of us out in California got screwed and I'd love to be able to see the whole game. What sounds like a fair deal to you?

Karen Holmes 3 years, 5 months ago

The Big 12 Network has a 3:30 minute highlight with the CBS team calling it. It at least shows the beginning of the game (that I didn't get to see here in Austin!). The Big 12 site always has the longest highlights. Rock Chalk http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10410&SPID=13134&SPSID=106110

poet008 3 years, 5 months ago

Wait a few weeks and you can purchase a DVD of the CBS broadcast on ioffer.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

I think I have it..I'll check when I get home. I think I can send it as a video file..

RockChalk1187 3 years, 5 months ago

I would love a copy as well, I was presenting research and couldn't watch the first 38 minutes! Please let me know how I can get a hold of it from you.

gardenjay 3 years, 5 months ago

..and what about OSU? Maybe set a curfew for partying until say 2AM Monday morning....

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing EJ would have been the logical choice to host Shabazz.

Kevin John 3 years, 5 months ago

I find it very funny Haith was complaining about officiating. LOL Don't let the door hit you on the way out!! I didn't see misseri's AD shaking hands with officials and patting them on the back after a game well officiated. Get real...

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 5 months ago

trojanhawk never said Miami was in the SEC.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Refs didn't decide either game, FTs and made opportunities did...

DDDHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

That's how I felt, about us getting some bad calls in the first half. I sure did not see what constituted the second fouls for either Withey or Robinson.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

Both were as "phantom" of calls as you ever see. Especially in a huge game, against the home team in a raucous environment.

It's almost like they came into the game determined to not be influenced by the home crowd, after all the talk about officiating from the last matchup. They over-compensated and ended up blowing the whistle on two calls they guessed at due to an MU player taking a dive--ahem, I mean "getting fouled".

actorman 3 years, 5 months ago

The one that really jumped out at me was the foul call on Kevin Young where he was crowding the ball-handler and had him cornered. Then all of a sudden, the Misuse player got rescued with the foul call and I was screaming at my TV, "What the hell are you talking about?!?!?"

actorman 3 years, 5 months ago

On the other hand, KU definitely got the benefit of some non-calls down the stretch.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

TRob's block was not a foul. He touched the ball first before body contact. The rules are clear in this matter.

Krohnutz 3 years, 5 months ago

Any word on Withey? Oklahoma State is a short turnaround.

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 5 months ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is by far Self's best coaching job. One returning starter in Taylor. Robinson averaged about 11 minutes last year and now he's leading POY candidate. (Tip of the hat to Danny for that too) Withey was clumsy last year. Releford, EJ and Teahan hadn't played significant minutes. And two of our top recruits were ineligible. I was hoping to finish in the top 3 of the conference with this new round robin schedule and be as high as a 4 seed in the tourney.

Self is an unbelievable leader of men. Can't wait to see how we do in the tournament.

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

If a team plans to win the Big 12, they have to win in The Phog. Another magic moment of significant memories in AFH.

And HCBS has become a major force to be reckoned with in college BBall.

R C J G K U !!!

burnmu 3 years, 5 months ago

Completely agree. What Self has done with this team is nothing less than amazing. Did we not think at the beginning of the year that our team was "average" at best? I think Haith will get coach of the year, but really what about Self and this team. I sit here still stunned by KU's performance today and this year so far. Thank God I was born a Jayhawk!

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 5 months ago

I never could see Haith getting COY unless he had a team walking on the water of Lake of the Ozarks. Hard to give that to a team/coach that are exiting the league under the cloud Mizzou has created over the last two years. Let's face it, they didn't even give Pink hole the drunk of the year award this year.

JD Roth 3 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of round robin schedule, is KU a "True Champion" now?? I've heard Scott Drew and others say the Big XII will have a "True Champion" now in the Conference!! Eight consecutive "True Champion" if you ask me!!

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

My bad, I thought we lost too many studs to be good this year, starting to realize I am an idiot for doubting this team's heart, toughness and ability to unite as a team and fight thru adversity.

Reminding a bit of '88.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 5 months ago

I just kept thinking, "This isn't how the story ends," when we were down by 19. What an amazing comeback! This team has given me a set of memories I'll never forget today. What a great win, Jayhawks! You guys are all amazing. That's not hyperbole -- this game was one for the ages. Congratulations!

actorman 3 years, 5 months ago

We truly could not have asked for a better finish. There's nothing sweeter than getting them poised to think they're going to walk away with an easy victory, only to come back and break their hearts.

That has to go down as one of the best regular-season games I've ever seen (and pretty damn close to the classic tournament games).

theboehr 3 years, 5 months ago

"The 2011-12 hardware will be delivered by the league office to KU at a later date per Self’s wishes."

In years past they have said it's Big 12 policy to present the trophy to the team as soon as they clinch a tie for the championship. Guess they changed it this year?

oldalum 3 years, 5 months ago

They got burned pretty bad with their policy of immediate delivery down at Texas. Remember that game tied us with Texas for the championship, and they presented Texas with a trophy but didn't bring one for us.

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

After the aforementioned lack of trophy presentation to KU, the conference officials ask Coach Self when he would like the trophy. He generally prefers to wait until we clinch the title outright. I think we will see it Senior Night.

theboehr 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, wait. Whenever that "at Texas" game was, it was definitely before the 2009-2010 season, and during that season, when we beat Oklahoma to clinch a tie for the title (before senior night) http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/fe...

"The Jayhawks, who led by as many as 23 points the second half on a night OU missed its first 11 shots, likely would not even have held a trophy ceremony Monday if not for the fact it’s Big 12 policy to present a trophy the moment a team clinches a tie."

That's where I'm getting confused, and that's what made me say that the Big 12 must have changed that rule this year.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

A few of my thoughts following an unbelievable game:

1. Hearing a lot, both from MU fans and ESPN personalities about the officiating. It was poor all the way around. Both the first half fouls on TRob were blatantly wrong, and both resulted immediately in 3-pointers from MU. Those were huge plays, and TRob's 2nd foul was not only a 5-point swing, but it put him on the bench for the remaining 4 minutes & 27 seconds of the first half. KU was down 2 points at the time, ended the half down 12. Hard to exactly quantify how big that blown call was. I didn't think TRob's block at the end of regulation was a foul (despite some incidental contact after the shot was released), but I don't know if Phil Pressey fouled Tyshawn at the end of the overtime period either. Not a lot of contact. There were also a handful of calls, or no-calls, in the first half that had me thinking "here we go again. We're gonna get screwed out of this one too." I think at best the bad calls were a wash and it didn't matter. At worst I think MU still got the benefit of more questionable calls that impacted the game to a greater extent to their advantage, but since the two in question for MU were at the end of the game they were magnified.

2. So much for our bench being the undoing of this team. Wow! Such great performances from Connor & KY. And while their offensive contributions absolutely saved the day for us, I was pleasantly surprised with their defense, Connor in particular.

3. So happy Tyshawn got some redemption today. He was clutch. I'm not always the biggest lavisher of praise on the guy (which is not to say I don't think he's a great player and a big net-positive for this team), but he manned up big time when we needed him. Congrats Tyshawn.

4. Disappointed Withey didn't get the same shot at redemption. I know in another article on this site it's reported that his ankle is OK, which is good news going forward. But you know the last MU game had eaten at him a bit; wish he could have had the opportunity to exorcise that demon. It's OK though big fella - go out and dominate from here on out!

5. Loved, LOVED the plays called at the end of the game. I've been somewhat critical of the "flat" play being overused at the end of first halves and close games. What Self called today, and the players executed, was coaching brilliance. And EJ delivered some great passes on a couple of those plays. The entry pass to TRob at the end of regulation was not an easy pass to make, and then the bounce pass to Tyshawn for the dunk.

6. Speaking of EJ, I don't want his contributions to get lost in all the other heroics. In addition to his passes at the end of the game, he hit a couple of 3-point bombs early in the second half to help stem the tide. Then came Connor's 3s, and so on and so on...

Dr_Roach 3 years, 5 months ago

Taylor said he got fouled prior to the shot, so maybe a late whistle?

PurePierce 3 years, 5 months ago

+100

Especially 1) A lot of the national talking heads and mizzery apologists only mention the foul? on the block, which affected only one play that wouldn't have been in the conversation if the fake charge (note the sneaker on the line) hadn't taken Thomas out so that mizzery could have their big run!

Although 4) Withey did have two more points than at mizzery, hence, Withey wins this game for us!!! Redemption, Jeff!

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 5 months ago

Gottlieb on ESPN said there were some questionable calls and his counterpart reminded him of the questionable calls late in Columbia so it all evened out.

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 5 months ago

One call in particular that still has me scratching what little hair I have left. Late 2nd half we scored on a baseline move. After the shot was put up, either Ratsazz or Denmon grabbed TRob and threw him to the floor. A personal fould was called but not a flagrant 1. T Rob got the foul shot but still can't understand the lack of additional emphasis, especially with some of the other flagrant 1's we've seen this year

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

The amount of pushoffs Mizzou guards got away with were uncountable. Also Robinson's block was epic. Not only because it was great, but by the rule of verticality he was legally in his own vertical plane. The Mizzou guard came flying through the air horizontally, initiating the contact after the ball was swatted away.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

1. TRob = beast. He carried us for a long stretch during the comeback, even when everybody in the building knew it was going in to him. Sadly Anthony Davis had a pretty good day himself, so there was probably no distancing/ground gained in the POY race.

2. Guys, not just Tyshawn but Travis & TRob too, made their free throws down the stretch. TRob missed one late, but 8-9 for the game is phenomenal.

3. Time for one downer thought - Travis. He contributed very little offensively, but even more concerning was his defense. He's supposed to be our best defender, but it seemed as though anytime MU was either driving past someone or kicking out to an open shooter he was at fault. (And even with my earlier praise of him, EJ's "ole" matador defense on Pressey at the end or regulation was pretty horrid as well).

4. Couldn't ask for a better situation to have so many highly ranked recruits in the building. They should all be fighting to be first in line to try and get a scholarship out of Self before he realistically runs out of them (as we are already at our limit now).

5. This was the perfect storm of many things: chance to clinch a share of our 8th straight conference title, NCAA seeding implications, recruits in the house, two highly ranked teams, MU leaving the conference, and the second of two great games played between these two teams. But it did nothing to change my mind that we shouldn't keep playing them. Many will point to the two MU games this year as proof we should continue playing them, but take away any of those ingredients for the perfect storm and the meetings this year would not have been that special. All these things made for a great way to end the "rivalry". Time to move on.

Lastly...Rock Chalk! Congrats on another conference title!

KStoCAHippie 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow man, bravo. Great little write up and excellent points.

Rock Chalk 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you. This should be published.

Hank Cross 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't hold any grudge against MU for leaving. If the B10 had wanted us, we'd have left. But there is no good reason to continue the rivalry in a non-con situation. KU could add UK and Michigan State which would be far more compelling games on a national level.

And you're right about Rele. If it's an injury, that's one thing. Otherwise, he really is not contributing much.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree 100%. I'm not bent at them for doing what they think is best for them. I just get sick of them crying and begging for us to keep playing them, and then acting all high-and-mighty about "us" ending the rivalry.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

11 points up there with one criticism. Make no mistake I'm relishing the win. But there has been some rumblings about him (or the coaching staff) perhaps hiding an injury. His performance bears mentioning today.

utahjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I begrudge only them since they were the ones that started the instability of the Big XII. That's what makes it different, vs us going to another conference.

Hank Cross 3 years, 5 months ago

MU didn't cause the discord. When UT had to put time on the clock and open all the doors in Jerry World to kick that FG so UT could go get beat by the Tide - the fate of the B12 was sealed. UT never wanted to play a conference title game again. It all flows from that moment.

utahjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh please, MU was pimping themselves to the Big 10 long before that!

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

It's pretty well documented that MU started the public nervousness of the big 12 which nearly shattered a once proud conference. Yes there were major issues to be dealt with concerning Texas, but once the tier 1 and tier 2 got straightened out, guess what. Missouri left. Also the instability grew worse if you'll recall because of their public statements a couple years ago. Right during the time the big 12 was to make Texas play fairly, Misspuri gave all the power to them during that all important renegotiation.

Now the playing field is every bit as fair as the SEC and guess what, Missouri still left.

Only now do you see Missouri fans and Alden revealing their read between the lines feelings about making a mistake. This comes out in the form of begging another team you left to keep up the rivalry among other odd public statements from Alden.

The tier 3 in the SeC is exactly the same. Alabama just as easily could start a $300 million dollar network just as Texas did. Alden's reply to this was uhhh well hopefully the SEC will change this rule.

Why not do your research before joining a conference!

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes!!!! Tony Parker tweeted. "The best game experience I've ever been to" Shabazz was silent all day.. don't know what that means. Frankamp, Ellis, Greene and Landen are all jayhawks and said they couldn't be happier!

Dan Harris 3 years, 5 months ago

Parker would be a "huge" get and just what we need a banger with scoring ability. Go get em coach!

dtdjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Shabazz tweeted sunday "had a lot of fun in Lawrence this weekend great visit #rockchalk!!!!!"

dtdjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Steve Gantz 3 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately other plans kept me from watching the game. I've seen highlights and ESPN said TRob fouled the guy on the block, and then TT wasn't fouled. Watching the plays on the highlights brought this thought to mind. We've seen those calls made lots of times. Most happen in non-critical junctures of games so they're quickly forgotten about. I'd guess there were similar calls or non-calls made throughout the game. You mentioned a couple on TRob, but other than that no one is talking about other calls.
Good list of points on the game for someone who didn't see the game.

rrudy44 3 years, 5 months ago

Agree with you. What ESPN commentators miss on TRob's non-call at the end is something called a Rule of Verticality. Pressey went in for the layup, TRob goes straight up for the block, gets it, and Pressey goes into him with his body. Sorry, ESPN, no foul. On the other end, you can see TT's wrist get hacked on the way up....Pressey got him. ESPN needs to look at the call a little more closely!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Ict: Nice postgame follow-up - 1. I wish I could say the officiating was a wash. TRob's calls in the first half were both bogus, and put us behind the 8-ball. They led to the 12 point halftime deficit. But the second half, literally, everything went our way. Particularly late. Actually, I dislike officials more than MU. Don't tell anyone. I'd rather have a beer with a Tiger fan than an official. The officials handed the game in Columbia late, and we couldn't have comeback without them yesterday. We fought back, but that was a gift. We're even now. 2. The bench did save us yesterday. Great job Teahan and KY. 3. Agree completely. 4. Bad matchup anyway for Withey, which makes MU a tough matchup for us. 5. I am with you 100% on this .. the set play to TT was awesome. Exactly what we want, as opposed to the 1-4 setup you referred to. 6. And EJ dropped 8 assists. 7. Davis did his vs. Vandy. Wow. TRob vs. a legit top 5 team. TRob has player of the year. 8. Free throws .. a KU fan's nightmare, back to Roy. 2003. Nice to see it run our way. 9. MU is the fastest/quickest team in the country. Guarding a smaller guy, sometimes, presents that problem. No worries there except vs. MU. 10. Somehow I envision Shabazz saying, "But will I start and play 32 minutes a game? Can you guarantee me that?" Personally, give me Parker or Sampson as an add to this class and I'll be more than happy. 11. +1 on everything .. except ending the rivalry.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm force fed Kentucky basketball since I live in southwest OH. Trust me, the Wildcats are fast.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

A couple of responses to your responses:

1. I still don't think there was any disparity in the foul situation to give KU an overall advantage. Again, the questionable calls in our favor happened at the end of the game and are magnified, and maybe I just have my homer glasses on, but we'll never know how the game plays out without TRob heading to the bench in the first half (and without the points we should have gotten and/or might not have given up without those phantom calls).

2. You're probably right, especially because Self is either unwilling or unable to force the height match-up to our advantage. Instead with Withey in there we only suffer a quickness disadvantage.

3. Somewhat sadly I did learn that very little has changed. Listening to Self's press conference he told the team "if they score whatever, they're not going to, but if they do - Travis you take it out, everybody run, and we're going to go flat, and Tyshawn you go make a play." I guess this isn't a completely awful fall-back option to have when you're not coming directly out of a time-out, and at least earlier we did see a variety of different plays. I still don't like that play, because had we not been bailed out by a questionable whistle (which correct call or not, it is very conceivable to envision the refs not calling a foul there) we most likely lose the game.

4. I agree that TRob's performance against a much tougher team was more impressive. However, as others have pointed out, ESPN (being such a far-reaching and influential entity) was spreading the Anthony Davis propaganda. So it just depends on how much their perception becomes a reality for the voters, but I can definitely see them clouding the waters for TRob.

5. It might not be great cause for concern, but when there have been comparisons to Brandon Rush-esque defense from Travis, when some have called him perhaps the best perimeter defender in the Self era, you'd hope he wouldn't have gotten burned as bad and as often as he did yesterday. This might simply speak to another phenomenon I've commented on today - fans using hyperbole to elevate the things they are seeing right now to a loftier place than they actually belong.

6. You might be right about Shabazz. I'm currently very happy with our situation at the 2/3 next year, so losing out on him wouldn't break my heart. Not sure about Sampson, but I think Parker would be a good fit. And one more thought on Shabazz -as a general rule I'm all for grabbing talent when you can, but I'm also more in favor of signing OADs when they are supposedly the final piece to the puzzle (even though this strategy hasn't worked out with Xavier & Josh).

7. Yeah, I know your feelings on the rivalry. Maybe you could see who their new rival is in the SEC and adopt them as your #2 team, and thus have a place to post all your epic anti-Misery burns :)

KansasComet 3 years, 5 months ago

Come on now? Today is a happy day, but somehow you manage to slip in a negative comment about recruit? Not cool. You have no idea what this young man is thinking. Fact is, he came to KU and experienced one heck of a game. Whatever he decides, I wish him the best...and you should too! How about encouraging the young man to come to Kansas, because we have the best fan base in America instead of making comments about his projected minutes. Other than that, your post was an enjoyable read, and you are better than that.

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 5 months ago

T-Rob completely overshadowed Anthony Davis eyebrows on Saturday. Playing the #3 team in the country in the last game of the border war drew a lot of attention to begin with. Then we get down by 19 in the second half and we lean heavily on Robinson and he delivers with a clutch "and one" situation and a game saving block.

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

When comparing performances by Davis to TRob on Saturday (for POY merits) during their post game comments on ESPN, the talking heads kept repeating the points per player, rebounds per player, and Davis's blocks (6) to TRob's (1). I was disappointed that they failed to spotlight TRob was 8 of 9 at the line, and especially the clutch "and one" at the end of regulation.

At least the game was on national TV, so everyone concerned with POY voting had the chance to witness TRob's performance and acknowledge his freethrows %.

PurePierce 3 years, 5 months ago

Davis puts up numbers, yeh, but does he put them up against double, triple, or even quadruple defenses?

Miles Simon, yes the one whose team knocked out one of our favorite teams, pointed out the increased difficulty of Thomas's accomplishments. I hope the voters also consider that.

rockchalk_dpu 3 years, 5 months ago

Addressing 8) People don't think this way, but TRob's big day was against an angry top 5 MU team in the last game of the regular season rivalry. The Unibrow had a normal day for his standards against a once-powerful, but lately faltering Vandy team. I feel bad for TRob that the vote is going to go to the Unibrow based solely on the media love-fest generated by Vitale and the East-coast Sports Bias Network because his record blocks are somehow more important than the offensive numbers a player puts up. I am very biased, but I'd think that averaging a double-double (only player in the Big 12 to do that) should mean something, and the test should be what the team becomes once the player is removed from the equation and Kentucky is still top 15 without the Unibrow, KU is 20-unranked without TRob.

Addressing 11) This might be the best MU team ever, and when they leave for the SEC, they lose 7-8 of their 10 scholarship players. In the future, they will not give us the same RPI boost that these games do, and so I agree, it makes no sense to continue to schedule them. Not to mention, I am sick of the media blaming this on KU. We didn't leave the conference scrambling while everyone else was working for stability, and we didn't start this 2 years ago by claiming the Big 10 wanted them.

Great recap though. Really enjoyed it and wanted to add my two cents. Rock Chalk

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe it was totally unnecessary for you to rip on Travis. He struggled yesterday because he was put out of his comfort zone. When KU struggled to score Travis was forced to shoot shots he normally would never take. I am thankful that he hit his free throws when they mattered and it is no easy task guarding Marcus Denmon late in a game. Otherwise you made some very valid points in your post.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

All good points and clearly stated in a timely fashion, something I could not do due to acute exhilaration. :-)

KansasComet 3 years, 5 months ago

Enjoyed reading your post! Thanks a lot!

Dan Harris 3 years, 5 months ago

awesome post for an awesome game! The meth labs are working over time to drown their sorrows!

ironhead80 3 years, 5 months ago

HOLD!! UP!! Releford had a tough match up with the messery gaurds he went up against. These guys are probably the quikest players and not to mention very good scorers consistantly of any players this year, there relentless on both sides of the ball. Did you notice he came up with a garbage shot off the glass and made at a time we really needed a score? The last moments of OT he gaurded his man the best I have seen of him this year. YES, Releford doesn't score like I would want him to but his mind set is in still a supportive role this season which he will have to change that to a scoring role next eason if he wants to play signifantly next year. The defensive play KY made the time Trob and Withey was on the bench I like to have seen Releford perform that way this season because Releford could have been a great garbage guy. With that being said, GREAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jayhawker_97 3 years, 5 months ago

that picture right there with coach Self pumping his two fists up (well, on TV actually) - that's worth a thousand words. i've never seen him doing that in regular season. he seemed so ecstatic and yet still showed his classy. he never takes any credits from the boys - now that's a leader. we're so lucky to have him. rock chalk!

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Head over to Scout.com Their KU page has another pic of Self celebrating the win. It's a little unusual, but I think even HCBS should let it all hang out once in a while.

Thanks, coach, for a season full of great memories, today being tops on the list.

KUFan90 3 years, 5 months ago

What an unbelievable, emotional win! I actually teared up.

The Ghosts of Phog Allen Fieldhouse were NOT going to let MU win this one!

So proud of this team!

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

+1 Phog Allen probably turned over in his grave when KU pulled out this win. I'm sure Quantrill must have.

All Big 12 championships must be won in The Phog. Opposing teams have to earn a win, and with HCBS around, it will never be easy.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Greatest game since April 5th 2008. My heart was pounding like a rabbits the whole time! Great job Kansas!

kellerman411 3 years, 5 months ago

I think this relieves a great deal of pressure off the guys. Like Bill said, they were tight. I expect to see a much looser team out there Monday.

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 5 months ago

FUN game to watch!!

T-Rob is 3rd in the Capital One Cup POY poll this morning, behind Davis and Gatens. Go vote for Thomas and help him get all the accolades he's earned!

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 5 months ago

oops, meant to say Impact Performance of the Week poll

lurkerhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Way to go Bill! You earned that fifty!

That's the pic to which I was referring (above), from the KU page on Scout.com

It's a somewhat unusual one of Bill Self, but love his excitement and enthusiasm. You gotta believe he wanted this game bad.

So glad for him and for the entire team and coaching staff. They deserve a big pat on the back, as well as congratulations from the entire Jayhawk Nation.

Can also imagine that Self received a few tweeters from the other Big 12 coaches thanking KU for beating the turncoats.

That's the pic to which I was referring (above), from the KU page on Scout.com

Gil Ek 3 years, 5 months ago

HCBS wanted this win more than he will ever admit. Congrats Coach. You're the BEST!!!

Gil Ek 3 years, 5 months ago

Kansas head coach Bill Self slaps hands with the fans following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime win over Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. by Nick Krug

Gil Ek 3 years, 5 months ago

Kansas head coach Bill Self raises up the fieldhouse following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime win over Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012. by Nick Krug

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

Because this game was on CBS, a channel available for national exposure everywhere. Because this was a rare match-up of a #3 and a #4 Because it was the potentially last game in the bitterest rivalry in America. Because a conference title was at stake for both teams Because a NCAA #1 seed was at stake for both teams. Because it was a day game played in the greatest venue in America. Because of the greatness of the Missouri season. Because of the Cinderella season for Kansas. Because of the presence of a potential player of the year and two coaches of the year. Because of last second points and defense at the end of both regulation and overtime.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I would submit that this may be the greatest regular season game in the history of the University of Kansas Basketball Program!!

All counter-arguments are welcome.

BigJayhawkPhan 3 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree. Best reg season ever (likely #2/#3 to 1988 & 2008).

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 5 months ago

At least 10 tourney games bigger than this... but best non-March game ever!

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

pssst jjjjjhok... that's why Oakville said "... this may be the greatest regular season game in the history of the University of Kansas Basketball Program!!" :) No harm, no foul... it's a great day to be a Jayhawk!

Steve Gantz 3 years, 5 months ago

Could be. Most of us here's memories of KU games probably goes back to the 70's or 80's or even for the kids here the 90's!. The internet, and cable sports makes many sporting events these days hyped to the max. Of course this one lived up to the hype.
A few others come to mind as potential candidates in the best ever category: The big comeback over Texas a few years back. If I recall that was the game where Durant showcased his awesome talents in the first half. The Nick Collison game where Dicky V gave him the standing O. The epic Florida matchup in Vegas during one of their championship seasons (you didn't quantify it as best home game!) KU over Louisville in '86, one of those hyped games that year. We beat them twice that year they won the NC but got screwed out of the chance to play them in the NC.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Wissoxfax83, great comments. Please understand that I'm not picking on you specifically, but lines like this have always bothered me...

"The Nick Collison game where Dicky V gave him the standing O."

Words can't begin to describe the pompousness of Dicky V in assuming that A N Y O N E should care if he stands up and applauds players after a game.

Seriously, this never has made sense to me. And, for some crazy reason, everyone just seems to give in and annoint it as some kind of sacred ritual.

Oooooh! Ahhhh! The sacred Dicky V ovation!

Who the f*ck cares when that idiot sits down or stands up!?

Huge pet peeve of mine.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe you missed the meaning of the Vitale standing ovation. Dick Vitale has coached High School, College and the NBA; I bet you did not know that. Vitale has also been a long time College BBall commentator, and like it or not, he has a national following and aside the hyperbole and his bias for Duke and UNC, he is overall a well respected commentator. He indicated at the time, that it was only the second time he ever gave any player a standing ovation. You see, it is not that he gave the ovation but the rarity of the event befitting the amazing performance by Collison. I had the distinct pleasure of being at that game, and to me, it will always be my favorite KU win.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 5 months ago

Well said. That game was epic, esp. coming off of a devastating loss to 'Zona two days before, and Collison had a 20-20 game against a big, physical Texas team that was bound for the Final 4. Dickie V. was right to applaud.

Hank Cross 3 years, 5 months ago

It was the greatest regular season game I've seen in the Brown+ era. The only other two that stand out are the comeback against UT and the overtime loss to OU in '84. Although KU lost the OU game, just coming that close to Tisdale & Co. put people on notice that KU BB was back and gave them the confidence to win the B8 tourney. I wonder what the decibel reading was when Calvin Thompson hit that shot to tie it.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Glad to say I was there for one of the greatest games in Allen Fieldhouse ever … and do KU fans storm the court? No. We're used to winning here!

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

ITA, we are Kansas, it was a home game, we always expect to win.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 5 months ago

The rivalry is N O T dead... just on hold! Continuing this series next year, with nothing on line line would be a huge anti-climatic downer! The series needs to rest ...simmer, if you will. Seven or eight years from now, there'll be so much pent up resentment and hatred, the series will have to resume.

It'll never be the same but without a breather, we'd all just be going through the motions.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

I love this post. Great perspective, and this is certainly the only way I could consider playing MU again by choice.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Great post. I'm onboard with every single word of it.

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered. Well, actually, the team did! EPIC game of mythic proportions!

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Read my mind, Mimihawk. I had the same thought in mind right after this epic game/battle/war ended.

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

You know what they say about great minds, Alohahawk

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I love this photo: ports.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=320562305&photoId=1879015

It's not like they weren't warned....

MimiHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Oops! Working link: sports.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=320562305&photoId=1879015

sawman3333 3 years, 5 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse: Missouri-free since February 25, 2012.

dylans 3 years, 5 months ago

Looks like I missed a battle yesterday. I'd like to think my little brother helped KU to a win yesterday. I turned him into a fan years ago, but his ex-wife murdered him yesterday. The world is missing a great guy. You will be missed Carson 28 is too young to go.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

Holy Crap!!!! Are you kidding?? Man, I am sorry for your tragedy.

Craig Lang 3 years, 5 months ago

My mother (a KU fan) died shortly before a struggling Kansas team beat the odds to win over a strong Kentucky team in an amazing game back in 2006. I like to think her spirit pushed them along that day. I am sure your brother was in the Phog yesterday! My condolences to your family.

Rock Chalk 3 years, 5 months ago

No. That's so hard to read and take in. I'm so sorry for your loss. That is painful. Sometimes when life is so tough, we have this team, these Jayhawks, to make it all better, if only for a few hours. One step at a time. Take care.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

What a bummer. I hope she's caught and going to be punished for it.

A reminder just where this stands in terms of importance.

ironhead80 3 years, 5 months ago

My hart goes out to you and your family really! really! Sorry for your loss!!! My DAD past away this past fall and I was thinking about him when TROB and TYshawn was shooting hose free throws because we always watched KU on TV when they were playing even though we were in seperate states on the phone together.......MISS YOU DAD!!!!!!!

dylans 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the support in these trying times.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 5 months ago

Indeed, too young to go; sorry for your loss. Under the circumstances, the game probably seems hardly important. Again, heartfelt condolences.

Mel Clare 3 years, 5 months ago

The one thing I would like to point out........and I am not being a downer by any means is that KU was 22 of 33 on free throws........about thier average of 66%. BUT at one time they were 10 of 20! 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they make just 5 more in regulation this game is over and would not be the same classic! Young missed the front end of one and ones TWICE! (1 of 4) Releford did it once. (4 of 7) Wesley once. (1 of 4) We were lucky they got into the double bonus so soon.

Need to clean up some free throw shooting before the NCAA tounament.............

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

If the only Jayhawks sent to the line are TRob and TT, (and add Withey and Teahan) then KU should be just fine down the line.

But agree, the supporting cast was atrocious at the line.

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

So much credit to go around.....but how about Kevin Young??? it's tough to come off the bench and he probably was thinking he would not plat a whole lot. But he did.....28 minutes ....and he played great.

And how about Connor??? 4-4 on 3's. I hope some of you haters now see how valuable this guy is and cut him some slack.

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

Without Teahan we don't win this game.

KansasComet 3 years, 5 months ago

The game was in Allen Field House. Teahan did what he is supposed to do, and that's hit 3's and help the team win. When he has a bad game, fans get on him just like the rest of the team. The true test will be what happens when we play away from home? Every Jayhawk fan is cheering for him and Kevin Young to do well. When you go "0-fer", you are going to catch it from the Jayhawk Nation.

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

The power lines must have been over-juiced because of the decibel level in AFH. But who knows? Perhaps Quantrill really was so shocked that he did turn over in his grave. :>)

flyingfinn 3 years, 5 months ago

Sitting here reading the morning STL paper and all of the whinning about officiating and yet don't remember anything being said on the officiating in Columbia. Let me tell you officiating had NO part in coming back from 19 points down, tough, gritty play by an entire KU team who would not fold made the comeback possible and to say officiating was a main factor is totally ridiculous. I have been a detractor of TT in the past, but his play in this game and especially down the stretch displayed true leadership. Great job Jayhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

OK if they're going to complain about officiating, a couple of major phantom calls in the 1st half put our two big men on the bench. The game goes from a probable 10 point lead at halftime to a 12 point deficit because our two best big defenders and offensive bigmen are riding the pine.

Cmon Mizzou fans. Geeez.

tauck 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the worst officiated game ever. I agree withall the Trob foul stuff, but Withey got hosed on his 2nd foul call also. Big key with him sitting on the bench. All the complaining those idiots from MIZZERY are doing, I got one thing to say..."Don't give up a 19 point lead and you will never have to worry about the late calls", the fingers you ought to be pointing, Should be at yourself followed by the phrase Big 12 "CHOKE ARTISTS". You gentleman had your chance and you blew it!!!!! NOW we better get re-focused and make sure we take care of business Monday. I want "NO" part of a co-championship. GREAT win,but in all retrospect, "ITS ONLY MISSOURI" and we are supposed to beat them, I don't care how good they think they are. On a side note the announcers yesterday on CBS were awful!!! Great win, re-focus and MUCK FIZZOU!!! The chant should be MIZ...OKU damn you beat us again!!!!

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

That really was one epic win for the hawks. It makes it so much more special knowing that the Big 12 regular season title came with the victory! Eight straight titles is just mind boggling.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 5 months ago

I liked Verne Lundquist's comment along the lines of "if you haven't been to Allen Fieldhouse, you need to put it on your bucket list."

Anonymous58 3 years, 5 months ago

Just wanted to make one point...if you go back and really watch Travis, while he didn't contribute a great amount offensively, his hustle on a handful of plays was fantastic. Popping a ball out or diving for a loose ball and some of the other unnoticed things he did resulted in fantastic plays and points for us at critical times. He often doesnt get credit even for an assist but it was started by HIM. He is the constant hustler who manages to cause some great things without praise. I do think he looks scared to take some open shots, but I for one, love his contributions to this team!!!

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

I am a big fan of Travis too, and you're right about some of his hustle plays. I criticized his defense earlier, and qualified that criticism later by reiterating that there has been speculation that he has an undisclosed injury. It is for this reason that his play yesterday might be cause for concern. I wasn't trying to totally throw him under the bus.

rockchalker5 3 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Travis is a scrappy player and probably our best on ball defender. Lets also give Connor Teahen some props. Who would have ever thought that he'd play 37 minutes in a game that big. The shots he knocked down kept us alive. The guy was given an opportunity and is taking full advantage.

oldtimerskid 3 years, 5 months ago

Unbelievable win! Was not able to watch the game live as I was attending the funeral service of my father, former Jayhawk Allen Correll. DVR'd the game and was able to watch last night. Coach Self deserves to be Big 12 and National COY. My father was watching from Heaven as the Jayhawks made their miraculous comeback from 19 down. I am and he would have been very proud of the effort displayed last night.

Rock Chalk 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry about your father. So sad to read you had to be at his funeral. Yes, I'm sure he would have been proud of the Jayhawks, as we all are. So proud.

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

We are all euphoric today....as well we should be and it is deserved. But there could be trouble tomorrow night......big trouble. OSU will be a tough game....and they still have that dang little 3 point shooter.

I hope they can keep their focus and win......get the title now. Right now! No waiting until Saturday!!!

PS-Who will guard that little guy??

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

My guess is EJ earns the original assignment of guarding Page. Releford will most likely be assigned to Nash, if he plays. He missed the game yesterday with a hand injury.

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

Icthawk-Are you at all worried like me? i'm a bit negative by nature.....but I think I'm at least somewhat justified. OSU at home will be tough.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

theend - I have concerns. This team has played down to the level of competition at times, and even the best KU teams (i.e. the '08 championship team) have had problems in Stillwater. Classic trap game - against a less talented team but dangerous team playing on their Senior Night, coming off the ultimate emotional high they experienced yesterday. And the short turn-around works against Withey and his ankle situation (which he says is OK, but you never know. Overnight the swelling could very well have gotten worse). We'll see...

BReakinggOOd 3 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, the game is an "instant classic." Does anyone know where & when it will be rebroadcast?

Robert Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

Good question. I watched it at sports bar (filled with MU fans) and DVRed the game. I added another 30 minutes and the DVR stopped right as MU was about to inbound the ball with 8 seconds left in overtime. I thought MU had won the game.

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

I have it on tape loop continous, my 95yr. dad smiles each time we go into overtime.

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Reading through all the posts and the articles referenced above took a while this morning, but it was well worth the time. What's been written about this game would make a nice read before every season begins. A reminder to those of us, the Jayhawk Nation, how lucky we all are to root KU on each year.

Every season is different. But this KU team is not the usual brand sent into battle. Few expected the successes it has already achieved. I stress "Team", because it isn't just the nucleus but it also includes those members who have rarely and sometimes never had the opportunity (ie. McLemore and Traylor) to display their talents on the court. "Team" also includes the entire coaching staff and supporting cast (ie. Ms. Hudy). Everyone involved has played their part in creating this winning combination which has far exceeded their expected abilities.

Because of the lesser expectations placed on them and yesterday's dramatic and historic comeback win over MU, this team has turned itself into a phenomenon few, if any will ever forget.

I would imagine each of every Jayhawk fan will remember their favorite play(s) from this game, and comment about them for years to come. They'll remember what they did the day of the game. Those who were lucky enough to have attended the game will recall the 120 decibels of constant sound assailing their eardrums for over two hours. They'll recall the mob scene of joy when the time left on the clock, which seemed to take forever, finally reached zero. They'll recall their neighbors in the stands weeping with joy, and strangers hugging strangers. Nobody wanting to leave, because the moment was too priceless to let go. Wondering if they would suddenly wake up and find it was all just a dream.

I envy those of you who were there. It was great to at least watch the game on TV. But watching it in the Phog would have been sheer ecstacy.

Proud to be a Jayhawk, forever.

R C J K U !!!!!!!!

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I concur 100%. This is more than anyone but a few dared dream. Big XII champions! Anything else from this point on is gravy. I hope we can all keep that in mind no matter What happens in March.

KansasComet 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for an enjoyable post! It is easy to take winning for granted. Some are too young to remember the lean days. Your words were written like a true KU Fan! Again, thanks!

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

You're very welcome. Mahalo and aloha.

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

It seems to me that I rarely notice it, but I have to give big time props to coach Self for the two plays, which I think were drawn up coming out of time outs. One where Thomas got the bucket and foul to send the game to OT. And then the pass from Elijah to Taylor for the dunk. Both were excellently drawn up and executed!!

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Bill Self's inbound plays are always excellent. COTY!!!

rockchalkryan 3 years, 5 months ago

Just so we can all relive it. The "extra" video at 4:00 exceptional piece of work; prepare to receive otherworldly, apocalyptic chills!

kennesawhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Let's show our appreciation to coach Self: vote to support his charity: http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2012/index He's only at 8%.

rockchalker5 3 years, 5 months ago

That game was unreal. Taylor and Trob are the obvious heros, but lets make sure Teahan gets the credit he deserves. He may be a bit of a liability on the defensive end, but lets be honest, hes not near as athletic as some of the other guys on the court on either team. I mean a couple years ago it looked like he might never play much at all in his career. Yet here he is, playing 37 minutes in the biggest game of the year and knocking down HUGE shots. Big ups to Connor Teahen and the rest of Hawks!

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps you've seen the youtube of TRob holding 9 yr. old Jayla with her big smile, happy to be in her brother's arms, sayin' "why you sad?" "because you lost a game?"

He nods....

Hard to put into words, but I'm sad and happy for her at the sametime. Not because he will soon get the funds to make her path a bit easier, though that may help, but that she has that man as her brother.

thank heaven for the little girls...

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

I gave up vodka for Lent, and I'm running out of scotch......

RCJHKU

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 5 months ago

This game was the best sporting event that I have ever attended! It was incredible! The collective feeling of disappointment and despair when Missouri was up by 19 was tangible. There was a look of disbelief and shock on everyone's face around me... Then as KU inched closer everyone started to believe,... and we all wanted it soooooo bad.. When TRob finished the and 1 near the end of regulation everyone exploded. When TRob blocked the shot to end regulation I was jumping up and down screaming while locked in an embrace with a complete stranger.... When the final buzzer sounded there were more hugs, pats on the back and high fives everywhere! Unreal, unbelievable, amazing, WOW!!! I stopped to take a picture of the scoreboard on the way out (I plan to frame it with my ticket stub)... I didn't stop shaking from the adrenaline feed throughout the comeback til I had walked to my truck to drive home.

Big thanks to Coach Self and staff, the players, the fans, and Jayhawk Nation....

Yesterday's experience will definitely be replayed in my highlight reel of life when I view it on the other side.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.... GO KU!!!!!!!!!!

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

+1 A simple question, but so's the answer. "YES!!"

Kay Jensen 3 years, 5 months ago

Has anyone seen some of the KC and STL message boards? Mizzou fans are embarrassing themselves. I love it...

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 5 months ago

......and to think, Misery wanted Self and wound up with the Mighty Quinn....two coaches later they continue to be losers. Hope the Kronke's and Lauries continue to bless them with interference for years to come.....and.... that the "Cheatin' Paige Gymnasium" stays quiet and empty. No more sell outs unless KY, TN and AR. fans travel well.

LSHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Thats goes without saying that of course Missery fan are embarressing themselves on thier message boards, they cant help themselves. Of course the ref's screwed them, it had nothing to do with them choking and giving up a 19 point lead....are you kidding me!!! Doesnt matter, they are soon to be totally irrellevent in the world of college basketball once they scurry off to the lowly SEC......

LSHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I think you are wrong and I think KU will beat Missery in the tourny and go father in March. Get ready to eat your words...

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes.....and basketball analysts have never ever been wrong and know absolutely everything. You're a worm.....and obviouisly no KU fan. Jealousy sucks, doesn't it, slimeball?

Ethan Berger 3 years, 5 months ago

This is the same baby when we were down at half just cried about how horrible KU and how we have no chance to win the game. This guy really doesn't know what hes talking about.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 5 months ago

A worm has more self respect then this guy. This guy was wrong and he still is crying.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 5 months ago

Any team that relies on the 3 as much as Mizzou does can be beaten by any tournament caliber team on a poor shooting night. And I think most of the opinions I've heard around ESPN are that KU is better suited for a tourney run due to our inside game. Their words, not mine.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 5 months ago

"best team"? I believe that UK, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, MSU, OSU and a few other teams would have a problem with that. Yesterday, KU proved to be the "better " team...notice I do not call it "best' team? Do you realize that Lunardi has one of the worse records among the so called "bracketologists"? You are obviously a MU troll pretending to be a KU fan; unfortunately, your grade school grammar gives you away.

142466 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm a big KU fan. I say that first and foremost.

Reality: Mizzou's current BB team is one of their 3 best teams ever, in the post-war era anyway. They are the most entertaining Mizzou team ever, IMO, at least since the end of WW2. Their lack of size forces them to play a very risky style of offense. And they come about as close to perfecting it as any NCAA team I've ever seen. Perhaps only Wooden's first two UCLA title teams did it better. The Tigers are that well oiled.

KU v MU games this year have been special. The teams are evenly matched, but with completely different styles. March Madness approaches. Pay no attention to the abominations that are the league tournaments. There is a sure way to make this year's NCAA tournament the best ever.

How about this headline? "Kansas Jayhawks claim their 4th NCAA BB Title, prevailing by one point over their border rivals, the Missouri Tigers. Tigers first trip ever to the Final Four ends in bitter disappointment."

A wild dream? Maybe. Not so wild a dream, though, as Danny and Pritchard v. the Sooners in the 1988 title game.

I

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

No.....I dont want MU anywhere near a Final 4......ever. I hope they get beat in the 1st round. Is that petty and childish? Probably.....but I dont care.

danmoore 3 years, 5 months ago

If that scenario plays out I will likely die of a heart attack before the end of regulation.

142466 3 years, 5 months ago

You're not being childish. I share your sentiments in wishing Mizzou a quick exit in March. However, what you and desire for either team has no impact on what will actually happen.

I do think there is a decent chance of KU and MU both winning at least 4 straight games in the NCAA tourney. A title game featuring both teams would be high drama. Given the current environment of conference realignments and because of the earth shaking events of 150 years past, a KU-MU title game could capture the attention of large segments of the entire nation. Provided CBS properly hypes it.

Every time I get the chance I chirp, "Get rid of the distracting travesties that are the post-season league tournaments." Thereby allowing for complete round robins, home and away, during regular season league play, even in 12 team leagues.

NCAA BB should adopt 2 rule changes. Extend the length of games, on the time clock, to conform to the NBA. Also increase the fouls allowed before disqualification from 5 to 6. Those two things the NBA has managed to get right.

mispay4ku 3 years, 5 months ago

Every year I think I can't possibly love the next season's team as much as the current one...and every year I'm wrong. When the twins left I was heartbroken. I thought there wasn't a chance to adore this team quite as much...wrong again! I'm sure blessed to be a Jayhawk!

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

they could be even better next year

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Look at the string of great teams coach self has put together, 8 regular season conference championships in a row in what it usually the toughest conference in the country. Even when you look at what Calipari has done with UK it does not match up to Bill Self's KU teams. Just goes to show how much better it is to have veteren teams then freshman teams.

Roger Tobias 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know how many hundred comments I have read and not one mentioned the ref's took a sheer break-away from us in the second half. Misery ran the clock down and the guard fell down at the top of the key. There were 2 seconds left on the shot clock when KU had possession of the ball, but it was called a shot clock violation on Misery. Allowed them to set up their defense when we inbounded, and led to an empty possession. Also, FWIW, the lights on the backboard are 0.3 sec ahead of the scoreboard clock, if you play the end of OT in slow motion. The Misery shot still came after the clock ran out, however.

Kelly Knott 3 years, 5 months ago

The border war games in basketball have literally been the closest mizzou has ever experienced to that of a National Championship game! As a member of the Big-XII mizzou was guaranteed at least 2 opportunities each season to play a perennial power in KU. The Jayhawks continue to maintain their status as a National Championship contender year after year after year... Of course mizzou wants to continue to have the opportunity to play the Jayhawks, KU represents the standard by which mizzou has always measured their worth!! KU doesn't need you, never has and never will. Your choice to run to the SEC,,, Your new border war is with Arkansas. Cheers!! RCJH!!!